PDA

View Full Version : Pedals and Roland JC 120

Plowdoggy
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Anyone else here like running their pedals through a Roland JC120? I know it's heresy to some. But I use a clean channel with the volume set at three, with just a hint of drive. Then running my Lollar special Strat through a Klon and an Xotic RC Booster and luving it. These things are loud!! In my small studio I could easily break a window. But, it appears that solid state (at least on this model) allows my pedals and their respective abilites to function nicely at a reduced volume. Lots of sculpted possibilities.

Lolaviola
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
JC-120 fills up a room SO nicely. It would be interesting to read what pedals are working for people.

One pedal I do NOT recommend is a Turbo Rat.

CBeeper
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Funny this thread should pop at at this point. I was going to sell my 80's JC-120 because it was sitting there collecting dust. I decided to pull it out to take a few photos and make sure everything was working before I sent it on it's way. I plugged my pedalboard into it for kicks and cranked it up. I was floored by the tone!! It really took the overdrives(COT,Carb,Mojo and Klon) like a champ. All of the subleties of the individual pedals and guitars came on through,plus the chorus is the best there is....:) It's not a tube amp by any means but and incredible simulation.:crazy

NHC
07-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I use a JC 60 for home use,and normally request for JC120's for gigs as I find them to be very pedal friendly.

I use alot of cleans and this is great for it, and with my OD pedals, it is superb.

oh yeah, the reverb is nice too imho

SoulToStrings
07-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Great amp for pedals! I couldn't believe how well they took them, even stacking overdrivs. And that chorus...

I would never doubt a jazz chorus w/ pedals! Nice amp you have there!

Mr. Mandolin
07-02-2007, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

FWIW this is a roland demo video and the bulk of it is devoted to talking about how great the JC120 takes pedals.

BJF
07-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi,

Oh yes stage standard once upon a time.
Hm, well for those I got myself a BOSS DS-1- and set that Tone 9oc,Dist12oc and volume to slight boost actually sounde really good, but tonecontrols on the amp had to be set treble zero, middle zero and bass full, bright OFF..
But sure clean sound was bordering on sterile but pulled through allright and with a stock DS-1.....

Hm, other pedals though......???? but then certain things go together well :munch

Have fun
BJ

Affiliations
www.mpamp.com
www.bjfelectronics.com

slopeshoulder
07-02-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm not calling into question the Roland JC or how well it takes pedals.
But, am I right that, as a solid state clean amp, it is amplifying the sound of the pedal, rather than having its input stage (and phase inverter, power tubes, and tune rectifier) interact with the pedal for a "new" sound? It's like a PA for the sound of the pedal? Is that fair? If so, it'll have a decisive influence on your pedal choices.

SammyInnit
07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

FWIW this is a roland demo video and the bulk of it is devoted to talking about how great the JC120 takes pedals.

DeMarco looks like a tool in all the demos he's in, but you can't deny, he is a pretty good player.

The Midi Synth demo sounded great too.

Plowdoggy
07-02-2007, 08:39 AM
True Slopeshoulder. Maybe that's what is impressing me. By eliminating other influences, I'm hearing the pure pedal (s). The sonic permutations are infinite, given all the choices of amps out there. The Roland was a pleasant surprised when compared against some of my other amps. I use the Roland mainly as a keyboard amp and sometimes for drums. I have a Two Rock Custom Sig, 65 Deluxe reverb, and a 53 Tweed Pro amoung others. These amps IMHO have so much personallity built in to them that are good to go with very little added. The JC, on the other hand is so clean that it almost begs for some added spices.

Lucidology
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
All effects pedals go great with the JC120 ...
However the OD's it will take are particular ... A compressor really helps in this case

I'm having great success right now with the Jetter Gain Stage Red for low gain..
and the Fuch's Valve Job works incredibly well with the JC120 cleanliness...

Will have a series of Youtubes coming up soon using this combination live ...

Serious Poo
08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Steve Rothery from Marillion recorded his incredible solo on "Easter" through a couple of pedals and a JC120. Simply amazing tone IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYonYospK9Q&feature=related

markom89
08-13-2008, 01:15 AM
I used a JC55 (is it called that?) and JC120 alot at my old bands practices... GREAT amps, IMO- some of the nicest cleans out there, and take pedals like it's no one's bidness!

sandman
08-13-2008, 03:00 AM
some famous people managed to get cool sounds out of them...I tried a few and no thanks...especially not for dirt pedals...are all of them the same or did they change the circuit or whatever? those that I tried...

clean, loud, 2x12 and GREAT equals Fender Twin.

Plowdoggy, glad it works for ya!

Aj_rocker
08-13-2008, 04:04 AM
i have used one a few times. once it was the only amp at the venue and i sounded great great overdrive tone, great cleans and always sounded great no matter what style i played. I used it for a jazz pactice and sounded great. Also i have played rock through it. again sounded sweet. *goes off to ebay to search for one*

Aj

Cheebatone
08-13-2008, 04:24 AM
I have a JC77 and it loves my Ethos and Zen 2.

highfive!
08-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Years ago I gigged exclusively with only a 80's JC120, an old Rat and a Crybaby. And if I had a nickel for every tube guy that complimented my tone... well, I could probably afford that Honey Bee.

jstone
08-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I had a JC-120 but really the JC-160. I have always kept them in an AB box and used them only with a compressor in front to make that way huge sweet clean tone.

Other boxes that I have used is the original rat and that worked fin with the dist set at no higher than 9'o'clock.
The The OD-1 was a nice unit as well.

Boxxes I 've never got to work with the JC's are DS-1, TS, SD.. But that could be only me always having a second amp for more Rock Style sounding stuff.

I have not owned a JC for years but still would like to have a JC-160. If not for anything else than sitting playing in front of the TV :)

dc_jcm800
08-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Tube based effects like the Radial pedals, or pedals with tube characteristics work best.
I have used a Trimode, OCD, 69 and the Crunch Box thru a JC120 with great results. I don't own the amp but have used when sitting in for a friend. A TS9 and DS1 sound a little too sterile or 80's pop like for me.
Of course eq on the amp, pedal, and the use of the onboard chorus can effect the sound too.
Real bullet proof amp. I am thinking of getting the JC77 if I can find one cheap.

Lucidology
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Tube based effects like the Radial pedals, or pedals with tube characteristics work best.
I have used a Trimode, OCD, 69 and the Crunch Box thru a JC120 with great results. I don't own the amp but have used when sitting in for a friend. A TS9 and DS1 sound a little too sterile or 80's pop like for me.
Of course eq on the amp, pedal, and the use of the onboard chorus can effect the sound too.

True ... the new Fuchs Valve Job with tube sounds incredible through the Roland ...
(and it's such a small footprint for a tube pedal)

However, the Jetter Gain Stage Red also sounds very good in front of it too..
(as I'm sure all the Jetter's would most likely ...)

Moe45673
08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I use a Cube 60 which many folks agree sounds better on the JC-120 setting than an actual JC-120! However, I prefer the Blackface setting :p

Having said that, I agree with an above poster. Tube pedals through an SS amp really make the hassle of owning a tube amp (for dirt sounds) seem almost like a waste of energy/cash

*puts on flamesuit*

LouRossi
08-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I used a SansAmp as a pre-amp and got some decent sounds with my ODs

sandman
08-14-2008, 11:14 AM
the hassle of owning a tube amp

don't worry moe, we'll be fine ;)

re-tubing isn't something you need to do THAT often - really...

Audioholic
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I used pedals and the JC 120 for about a year. Got some nice sounds, my favorite thing was being able to use my EFX unit (g-system) in stereo (stereo return - killer) on that amp. It for the most part sounded pretty great with the pedals I was using. However, there were a few things that I ended up getting tired of. The louder it went, it didn't smooth out, but rather you could hear just a little shrillness and unsmoothness of the amp, much unlike driving a tube path.

There was something in the eq, like low mids or too wide of mids or something, that I had a hard time dialing in exactly what I wanted with the onboard eq in interaction with the pedals I was using (tube pedals, with some SS at times).

Loud amp, with a noise floor, you turn on that amp and you can hear the noise floor right away, and did I mention loud from the getco....

It really has a high end sheen about it, which was good mostly, but also didn't hide any top end brittleness and you could hear some of the unpleasantries on some of the pedals break up.

overall, it is a great amp, and a good pedal solution. I just went back to tube and am a happy camper again.

woschiz
08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
A buddy of mine has got one, with regular OD pedals it acts just like a PA, it just amplifies the pedal. There is zero warmth in this amp, we tried every pedal we had access to and really only found the Koch Pedaltone (which is just a tube preamp) worked to warm this amp up. It depends on what you're looking for the amp to do for you.

blood5150
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
I tried running a tonebone hot british though mine (before I returned it, the 120 that is) and at stage levels the speaker fart was unbearable...

May get another down the road for clean tones only.

Windup 43
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Steve Rothery from Marillion recorded his incredible solo on "Easter" through a couple of pedals and a JC120. Simply amazing tone IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYonYospK9Q&feature=related Wow, didn't know that- great solo/player. I had the oppurtunity to meet him a few years back- pretty humble guy as well.

Lucidology
08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I just ordered one of these... because the Red sounds so good.. this would be the next step up ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAIN STAGE GOLD™

Introducing the Gain Stage Gold™. If you like the GSR but want a lttle less refined overdrive and MORE power, MORE gain and a firmer, harder, more muscular midrange- The Gold is for you. I hear a lot of GOOD JCM-800 in this pedal and also LOTS of late 70s non master Marshall- but with that sweet, lyrical sustain that ALL the Jetter Pedals share. A very good match for a big sounding amp like a Twin or JCM120- Even a good match for thinner amps like Crates and Peaveys. I love this pedal with Strats too- no fizz on the high end, very firm bottom end and a mis punch that SCREAMS late 60's, early 70's English. http://www.jettergear.com/assets/img/gsGold_1.jpg

threeofaperfect
08-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow, didn't know that- great solo/player. I had the oppurtunity to meet him a few years back- pretty humble guy as well.

If you guys liked that clip wait till you see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zyl2cZbx10

Rothery is one of my favourites :D

Windup 43
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
If you guys liked that clip wait till you see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zyl2cZbx10

Rothery is one of my favourites :DAwesome- I have it on VHS :D

Cheebatone
08-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Our van broke down on the way to that gig. :(

musicman1
08-15-2008, 07:20 AM
They are unique enough amps that are often mentioned in the same breath as "a Boogie" or "a Twin" etc etc especially in recording and rehearsal studios. They do take pedals well and are loud as hell. I dislike the reverb but the chorus is great. My biggest problem w/this amp is that once you stop using stomp boxes and the built in chorus the amp is sterile and pretty toneless. Its ok for some single coil/funky stuff but doesnt sound great for anything else until you engage an effect or two.

I have a JC90 and frankly its a POS. Its spent more time in the shop than on gigs. Tonally, its close to the big guy but cant hold up to the same volume. Im not suprized Roland stopped making them. Id say the older 77s were better.

I really cant say that the older 120's are any better than the new ones although you can adjust the chorus rate and depth on the new ones whereas it was fixed on the old ones. Presently, I believe the new ones are way overpriced.

Id still say that the JC has stood the test of time and could be considered a classic amp.

schenkadere
05-24-2009, 08:07 AM
They are unique enough amps that are often mentioned in the same breath as "a Boogie" or "a Twin" etc etc especially in recording and rehearsal studios. They do take pedals well and are loud as hell. I dislike the reverb but the chorus is great. My biggest problem w/this amp is that once you stop using stomp boxes and the built in chorus the amp is sterile and pretty toneless. Its ok for some single coil/funky stuff but doesnt sound great for anything else until you engage an effect or two.

I have a JC90 and frankly its a POS. Its spent more time in the shop than on gigs. Tonally, its close to the big guy but cant hold up to the same volume. Im not suprized Roland stopped making them. Id say the older 77s were better.

I really cant say that the older 120's are any better than the new ones although you can adjust the chorus rate and depth on the new ones whereas it was fixed on the old ones. Presently, I believe the new ones are way overpriced.

Id still say that the JC has stood the test of time and could be considered a classic amp.

I agree...it is a classic amp for it's clean and its chorus, but the 120 is way overpriced for a simple SS.

johann
05-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I have a Sovtek MIG50 head with a Marshall 4X10 cab, I began using the JC120 for cleans only...A/B'ing both amps...but we have played on some small stages that it was impractical to have both amps, so I took the JC120 with my board (DISTS AND OD?S: Bixonic expandora, Vintage Rat, TS9 Keeley Mod, Subdecay F-Bomb), and it works really well, especailly the rat and ts9, I'm thinking on buying the JC77 too for small venues, and leaving the JC120/Sovtek combo for larger ones

Lucidology
05-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Indeed ...