PDA

View Full Version : Speaker replacement for a Fender Blues Deluxe?

gnugear
07-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Heresy!! But I actually like the Blues Deluxe better than a lot of the vintage Fenders that I've owned. Played a used one at GC and it sounds just great with a Gretsch Nashville doing rockabilly chickin pickin. I'm thinking of picking one up because it's so cheap and I really don't want to spend much on a Fender type amp (I'm more picky about my Marshall tones). I'm also not playing out so a lower wattage amp that I can overdrive easier is prefered. I liked using the master to slightly compress the tone and fatten it up. I had a Bassman RI but it was a little too clean without the use of a pedal (I'm at home so I can't really crank it).

I've read that the stock speaker is pretty sucky so I'm wondering if any of you guys have replaced the speaker with an alnico type. More Heresy ... I really like the cheap Jensen reissues!! Anyone try that combo?

blackba
07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
The other guitarists in my band has a blues deluxe reissue, I like it better than the hot rod deluxe my buddy used to have.

I would go with a Weber 12F150 ceramic light dope 50W or a Reverend alltone speaker, discontinued so you will have to get it used.

From what I have seen on the plexi palace at the fender forum section alot of people seem to like the reissue Jensen ceramic magnet speakers. The alinco magnet jensen reissues aren't generally very highly thought of though....

Darth Tater
07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't have the Blues Deluxe, but I do have a Blues Jr. on a trial now. I like it but I'm not 100% sure I'll keep it, as the Peavey Delta Blues 115 is really looking interesting. I need to at least try one.

Anyway, in my Blues Jr. I have installed an Emi Tonkerlite, Emi V12, Stock Emi, Hellatone 60L (Celestion with 55hz cone), and a Warehouse CL80 clone.

To be totally honest, the stock speaker is the best one of this bunch for the Blues Jr. It's the only one that has that spank without being icepicky or fizzy. The Emi V12 sounds pretty much identical except it needs the treble turned up to about 7 where I keep it on 4-5 for the stock speaker. They are that similar. Figure there's no reason to swap them, I'll use the V12 elsewhere.

Which brings me to part two...I see the Revered Alltone recommendation above....do you realize the Alltone is just a basic Eminence made speaker pretty much identical to the V12? In fact Weber now sells it:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/csig12.htm

But for my Blues Jr. I now have on order a Weber Sig12s Alnico and an Emi Cannibus Rex to try. We shall see if the stock speaker can be bested!

T. Caster
07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Don't know if you want to spend this much, but I put a Sholz in mine, and it sounds really good!.

Dan

blackba
07-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't have the Blues Deluxe, but I do have a Blues Jr. on a trial now. I like it but I'm not 100% sure I'll keep it, as the Peavey Delta Blues 115 is really looking interesting. I need to at least try one.

Anyway, in my Blues Jr. I have installed an Emi Tonkerlite, Emi V12, Stock Emi, Hellatone 60L (Celestion with 55hz cone), and a Warehouse CL80 clone.

To be totally honest, the stock speaker is the best one of this bunch for the Blues Jr. It's the only one that has that spank without being icepicky or fizzy. The Emi V12 sounds pretty much identical except it needs the treble turned up to about 7 where I keep it on 4-5 for the stock speaker. They are that similar. Figure there's no reason to swap them, I'll use the V12 elsewhere.

Which brings me to part two...I see the Revered Alltone recommendation above....do you realize the Alltone is just a basic Eminence made speaker pretty much identical to the V12? In fact Weber now sells it:

But for my Blues Jr. I now have on order a Weber Sig12s Alnico and an Emi Cannibus Rex to try. We shall see if the stock speaker can be bested!

I had heard that weber had a similar speaker to the reverend alltone, didn't know which one it was exactly. I though the alltone was a custom eminence and not like a V12 at all. Where did you here it was like a V12?

The stock speaker must be better in the blues junior than the blue deluxe/Hot Rod deluxe. Cause I can't see anyone prefering the stock speaker in the HRD to a replacement speaker.

Darth Tater
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I had heard that weber had a similar speaker to the reverend alltone, didn't know which one it was exactly. I though the alltone was a custom eminence and not like a V12 at all. Where did you here it was like a V12?

The stock speaker must be better in the blues junior than the blue deluxe/Hot Rod deluxe. Cause I can't see anyone prefering the stock speaker in the HRD to a replacement speaker.

I've read that it's very similar to the V12, but of course that does not mean anything. I've never heard one. But just from sight it obviously uses the same magnet, cone, and basket as the V12 so it's bound to be somewhat similar.

I've also read that the stock speaker for the Blues Junior and Deluxe is the Emi Legend 125, which is no slouch itself.

blackba
07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I've read that it's very similar to the V12, but of course that does not mean anything. I've never heard one. But just from sight it obviously uses the same magnet, cone, and basket as the V12 so it's bound to be somewhat similar.

I've also read that the stock speaker for the Blues Junior and Deluxe is the Emi Legend 125, which is no slouch itself.

I sure hope its not the legend 125. I personally find the Hot Rod Deluxe speakers to be one of the worst stock speakers around.

I will say overall I am not much an eminence speaker fan. Still its generally accepted by most people that the Stock speaker on the hot Rod Deluxe is not the best and a speaker swap really helps the amp.

I think we may be :horse here :)

Darth Tater
07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Oh trust me, you can't imagine how surprised I was when the stock speaker was the best in the BJ. In fact I ordered that Tonkerlite WITH the amp knowing that the stock speaker would go in the trash. The other speakers I already had so I tried them out. Man I wanted so much to like that Tonkerlite, it's got huge punch but too much high end.

If the Weber Alnico or the Cannibus Rex do not do it, I'm not ordering any more freaking speakers...I'll keep the stock one in there :)

As far as it being a Legend 125, I don't know for sure..I've never seen a 125. But after seeing a picture of the cone, they do use the same cone. I know, big deal...but they do have that in common.

And on a side note, I bought one of these Fender/Emi's on ebay a while back for $10...figured what the heck...and I noticed the one in the BJ was different. It has a bigger spider and a lower resonant frequency, along with a looser suspension.

gnugear
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
What would be the best match between a reissue P12N or P12Q?

Ben C.
07-09-2007, 04:58 AM
My suggestion is for a Celestion Classic Lead 80. I have an English one in mine (actually a HRDeluxe), but I don't think there's much of a difference between the Chinese and Eng. versions to be honest with you.

Before settling on the CL80, I tried the Emi Legend 125, 121, Swamp Thang, Cannabis Rex, Weber Blue Dog, and Celestion Vintage 30. The CL80 balances things out the best IMO... not too boomy, not too spikey, retains clarity, sounds great with OD or clean.

-Ben

Jon Silberman
07-09-2007, 06:17 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing when nothing could be further from the truth. The basic Alltone design is that of a classic Jensen but with a British style cone. Simple genius that sounds awesome in so many applications.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682310/15064891/227508850.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682310/3467154/42567710.jpg

The amp you see above (mine) is a gutted Blues Deluxe rebuilt as a PTP Bandmaster. I'm the tinkering/experimenting type so I tried lots of speaker in it, both when stock and after rebuilding it, in search of the pinnacle of tone. The Alltone worked fabulously in each application. (The best sounding speaker of all was a Weber C12B - I believe today it's called a Ceramic Blue Dog - but I could not live with the godawful cone cry.)

P.S. We really hear things differently if you truly believe the Gold Label Emi that for many years Fender bought in massive quantities and threw into a wide range of disparate amps to maximize profits is the best speaker for any of 'em.

tommytomcat
07-09-2007, 06:36 AM
I've read and heard that the Signature Series 12B is the speaker that is ver similar to the Reverend Alltone. At $45 + shipping it's worth a shot.

Darth Tater
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing when nothing could be further from the truth. The basic Alltone design is that of a classic Jensen but with a British style cone. Simple genius that sounds awesome in so many applications.

Sorry, didn't mean it to be bad. I love Eminence speakers (especially the V12), it's a GOOD thing that the Alltone is an Eminence speaker. It's also good that Weber now rebadges them and sells them for $45!

Keep in mind the Emi Legends also use British cones...the same ones you see on that Alltone :)

prsnstrat
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I've read and heard that the Signature Series 12B is the speaker that is ver similar to the Reverend Alltone. At $45 + shipping it's worth a shot.

Want to resurrect this thread. Is the above statement pretty accurate?

puddinstone
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
This may seem weird and maybe not at all what you are looking for...but a buddy of mine uses a Private Jack in his and loves it. Not your typical Fender pick...but it does sound good!

prsnstrat
01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
This may seem weird and maybe not at all what you are looking for...but a buddy of mine uses a Private Jack in his and loves it. Not your typical Fender pick...but it does sound good!

Interesting - I actually have an Emi Wizard laying around but didn't give much thought to trying it, until now.

Jon Silberman
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Another a-typical Fender pick is a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog. They really sound nice in the BD.