PDA

View Full Version : What gear is overhyped in your opinion? What lives up to its hype?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

doctorx
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
The emperor has no cloths: Fancy expensive cables, pedals with a handful of parts like fuzzes and treble boosters in standard hammond boxes with hand written labels but cost big bucks, silver and gold and every other color Tube Screamer mods, people trying to get multi-stack tone in a little bitty amp to play in their bedroom, 20 watt amps with master volumes,:NUTS, in fact, master volumes in general, and the strangest of all, relic guitars.

The emperor looks great: Non master volume amps, playing loud, a pedal board with nothing but an off the shelf overdrive, delay, and tuner. Plug any humbucker or single coil guitar into a rig like that and jaws will drop.

KCWM
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Overhyped: tone

Underhyped: songs

:)

Troof!

vbjamin
05-02-2008, 02:23 PM
over = MIA
under = CIJ

daddyo
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Underhyped: Ibanez guitars. Boss pedals. Garden variety Fender American Standard Teles and Strats.
Overhyped: Any pedal with more than a 90 day wait. Any bolt-on neck guitar that costs more than $3999.

Diezelman
05-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Overhyped:
Fender Custom Shop aged strats
High End Cables
Keeley Compressor
DR Strings
Peterson Strobostomp (durability issue w/plastic)
High Dollar "Botique" amps w/PCB board (some Bogners come to mind) that folks think are hand wired:tapedshut ... Ouch, now I'm gonna go hide!:worried

Underhyped:
Sovtek MidgetH 50W (One of THE best for the money, and built to last)
Hamer Guitars
Carvin Guitars (Check out my guitar list,I paid $600 for it and it's my go to-they get NO respect)
Keeley SD-1, Keeley Maxon 808, Keeley Vox 847
Zakk Wylde Overdrive (Beats my high $$$/high end ODs, it works best with my Gjika)
Ernie Ball Strings (Meant for players who actually change their strings when it's time)
Korg DTR 2000 Tuner
Melancon Guitars
Roland JC 120 (No better amp to run effects through in my opinion)
Boss NS 2

I like this thread...I've seen my stuff on BOTH sides of the aisle! Looks like Fulltone takes a beating though.

Dylan61
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Over: 5E3 Mission Amps Kit, fooled me with cheap parts, no clean up in mine wathever setting I have tried or changing tubes, caps...

Under: Nocaster, I have a lot of guitars bought on hype but this one is unreal, I think it was ment for a real Star, but I happen to get my hands on it.

majorledhead
05-03-2008, 07:04 AM
overhyped-- Digital
lives up to hype-- Analog

semi-hollowbody
05-03-2008, 08:12 AM
overhyped...any pedal you have to wait for more then two weeks, any pedal you have to pay more than $150 for
ANYTHING labeled boutique, Gibson

underhyped...ME:)

duster77
05-09-2008, 02:16 AM
overhyped:
tim...timmy pedals...trainwreck climax.. texas special pickups..

worth the hype:
pre 96 matchless amps...landgraff pedals...orange amps..bad cat amps...dr Z amps...vintage blackface super reverbs vs reissue super reverbs...

Agramal
05-09-2008, 06:11 AM
over = MIA
under = CIJ

I really don't think MIA guitars are overhyped at all. Overpriced in some cases, sure. But all the best guitars in my stable are MIA.

Agramal
05-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Totally over hyped:

cornish drive pedals! waited months for them ...and.. thought they were awful! £400 quid each?! hes having a laugh! what a joke!

and...

Bare knuckle pickups: hype! hype! hype! my original Seymour duncans blow em totally!
i kidded myself for a whole year on this one!:horse

no wonder my guitar sounded so thin! Tim is a nice guy who makes them though ......but........there nothing like originals...sorry !

Knowhere near hyped enough:

Rockman stereo analog echo,the worlds best kept secret on analog delays! OMG!

Germino amps, awesome!

and

the subdecay blackstar over drive! killer!..great drive pedal into a clean amp

Wow, didn't like the Bareknuckles? Which ones did you try? There's a lot of zealotry surrounding those and it's rare that you hear someone who has something negative to say about them.

sabby
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
overhyped: the Klon
lives up to the hype: ... the Klon.

Depends on my mood.

Honestly, could this be applied to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the stuff in this thread?

benjisaynomore
05-09-2008, 11:13 AM
overhyped: boss dd-20, line6 dl-4, catalinbread scod, keeley compressor, Teese RMC3, visual sound pedals, ehx tubezipper, ehx wiggler, ehx hot tubes, most orange amps, brunetti amps & riviera amps.

deserves the hype: fulltone fulldrive, fulltone 69, line6 echopark, area51, celestion heritage greenbacks, kinman pickups, Klon centaur, sperzel locking tuners, moog phaser, diamond compressor, boss ce-1, boss ce-2, RS chorus, keeley bd-2, keeley ds-1, fender cs54 pickups, HWA pedals, ceriatone kits, keeley fuzzhead, arion chorus, koch studiotone, diamond memory lane, matchless amps, vox ac30tbx, the cheap gretch guitars, MIJ fenders, pedaltrain pedalboards, pigtronix amps

underhyped: ibanez de-7, HBE big D, diamond J-Drives

Resurrecting this...but SCOD overhyped? Really??? I think it's underhyped personally. Love that thing. Orange in a box.

flyingvees
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Overhyped : People who buy stuff on the recomendation of some " pro " players that have a rep for good tone...

Underhyped : Listening for yourself and finding whats right for you and not talking sh#t about things that dont work for you....

MrDoty
08-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Overhyped : People who buy stuff on the recomendation of some " pro " players that have a rep for good tone...

Underhyped : Listening for yourself and finding whats right for you and not talking sh#t about things that dont work for you....

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!

aeonlux
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
deserves the hype:

Analogman Sunlion
Boss DC-2 Dimension C
Diamond Compressor
Eventide H8000FW
Foxrox TZF
Line6 Echo Pro
Lovetone Doppleganger
Moog MF-104SD
Red Witch Medusa
Roland RE-201

underrated:

Diamond J-Drive TR
EBMM Axis Super Sport
Empress Tremelo
Foxrox ZIM
Lexicon LXP-15 II
Lexicon NuVerb
Roland SDX-330
Roland SRE-555
Schippmann Ebbe und Flut
Symetrix 606

cheers,
Ian

semi-hollowbody
08-05-2008, 11:17 AM
any pedal over $200 is over hyped

epluribus
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
This has been a good read so far. It would be fun to tote up the pros and cons and see the balance. One man's dance is another man's...

Hokay, under-hyped:

Humphrey Audio Boss CS-3 Compressor
JCM800s, esp the cleans and light drive tones
Peavey
Improvisation
Some import guitars, incl. the Epi Sheraton II and off-brand-re-badged Matsumoku. (Very long list)
DSP FX--other than dirt, which for tons of reasons, like aliasing, DSP still has trouble with.
Univox cleans
Hizzoner the Mayer
Gain structure
Soundmen and good PA practices
Grounding, shielding, and wiring
PCB
Chicago Dogs
Cyber Amps
Solid playing fundamentals
R&B

About right:

Matsumoku solidbody guitars (I own three)
Tubes/analog
Hizzoner the Mayer
Concise circuit paths
Good soldering

Over-hyped:

Most Matsumoku archtops (I own two)
Fancy hi$ decorator gear
PTP
Hizzoner the Mayer
"Nailing" somebody else's tone
Pristeen tube drive circuits, run clean with SS pedals in front
Speed riffs
Caviar

...Just to name a few. Don't wanna feed the flames too much--gas is expensive ya know. What's that thing Johnny Storm says?...:)

--Ray

Doug H
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM

I read the first post in this thread and then skipped to the last page where I found this. Looks like I found the only post that really mattered in this 19 page thread- one I completely agree with.

:AOK

Marc Roy
08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Overhyped

-Newer Gibson Les Pauls (I tried about ten of them at the store last week, and they just didn't warrant the price tag)

-Lovepedal Eternity (Bought it twice, sold it twice - I could add another dozen or so boutique pedals that get God-like status, but I'm gonna keep my mouth shut)

-Custom Audio Electronics OD100 (Killer clean channel, ordinary lead channel)

Underhyped - Deserves Hype

-OceanEFX Pearl Drive (a sleeper of an OD pedal and one of the most responsive and amp-like out there)

-Dr. Z amps. (Boutique tone at a reasonable price)

-Diamond Compressor (the only one I tried that doesn't completely squash your tone or brighten it when turned on)

-Barber Pedals and MI Audio Pedals (great tone for not a lot of coin)

NewarkWilder
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
overhyped-- fulltone, barber, lovepedal, zvex

lives up-- tim, skreddy, bjfe, analogman

underhyped-- devi ever, dr. scientist, penny pedals

bilbal
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Lives up to the hype:
Soldano SLO, James Trussart Steelcaster, Dr. Z amps, Fuchs products, Heritage H535, Two-Rock Amps, BludoTone Amps, Quinn Amps, Reinhardt Amps, RockyTop Amps

Not so much:
**** Pro Series II guitars, Bogner Shiva (EL34)

Should get more recognition:
Creation Audio Labs products, Modulus Graphite Blackknife Series guitars (Bob Weir), Godin Freeway Floyd Series

Lives up to hype but should get even more:
Reinhardt Amps, RockyTop Amps, Quinn Amps, James Trussart Custom Guitars.

IMHO of course!!!

bilbal

smogfalls
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
wow, some really differing opinions here. I guess that's what makes this place so cool.
I'd say...

Overhyped...

* Zvex Fuzz Factory, Super Hard On
* Boss DC-2
* Dunlop Crybaby (much prefer the Vox)
* Marshall Shredmaster (Crunchbox is waaaay better)
* T-Rex Dirt pedals (tried them all and they all seemed quite uninspiring to me)
* Lovepedal Burst E (Kanji sounds alot better to my ears)
* MXR Dynacomp (very noisy)

Underhyped...

* BYOC (some amazing pedals and great fun to build)
* MI Audio
* Menatone (can't believe there isnt more buzz around this guys pedals!)
* MJM (london fuzz is an incredible pedal)
* Fulltone (seems to get a bad rep but the OCD is a workhorse that you can pickup and depend on for a sturdy sound)
* Line 6 DL-4 (great selection of more than decent delays, hasn't broken down on my once in the 6 years I've had it!)

Deserves the hype...

* DAM Pedals
* Skreddy
* Lovepedal
* Timmy/Tim
* Analogman
* Zendrive

therhodeo
08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
overhyped-- barber

underhyped-- devi ever

Um no.

NewarkWilder
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
yes, my opinion is soooooo wrong.

hacker
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM
yes, my opinion is soooooo wrong.

sadly, it is

NewarkWilder
08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
ok then

therhodeo
08-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Just because one is entitled to having an opinion does not make said opinion right.

NewarkWilder
08-06-2008, 06:34 PM
so speaketh the opinion authority... i guess :messedup

i can't even tell if you're defending barber or putting down devi

I find barber pedals to be relatively average, not bad at all--but that isn't the question put forth in the thread--and yes, a bit over-hyped. big deal. i find devi ever pedals to be very unique, visionary, and well made, even if they do cater to a smaller group of musicians. thus, the under-hype. apples and oranges there.

but please, do explain to me how wrong I am.

therhodeo
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
:jo

Chris Scott
08-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Here's an idea....

Take ALL these pieces of gear and hook them all up with the gear they were originally evaluated with, and play them at three different volume levels-

1) bedroom levels

2) small venue

3) big rooms (obviously forget about a Champ/ Valve Jr. etc here, but you catch my drift)

...now watch everybody's opinion change.

Why is sound pressure never included in these evaluations?

It changes everything.;)

epluribus
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Not so much:

Cone of Silence Dept:...

Would the **** be Aria? :BluesBros

bilbal
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Not Aria.

I just don't want to pi** in anyone cheerios so I left the name out. Plus, on the few occasions I have spoken to this builder, I have found him to be very much a gentleman and EVERYTHING ELSE he touches is gold. I just don't care for this one thing particularly - that's all.

Shiny McShine
08-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I wanted to like it. I played at least 8 different ones. I went in day after day. I could never bond with that instrument and I wanted to so bad. I know there're guys that swear by them but they never really delivered for me.

Shiny McShine
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
overhyped-- fulltone, barber, lovepedal, zvex

lives up-- tim, skreddy, bjfe, analogman

underhyped-- devi ever, dr. scientist, penny pedals

I have one of their Clyde wah's and it just sounds sooo good. Every time I play it, I smile and know I'll never sell it. The build quality is great too and it's little work of art inside. Mike Fuller is a gifted builder.

SuperReverb2
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I wanted to like it. I played at least 8 different ones. I went in day after day. I could never bond with that instrument and I wanted to so bad. I know there're guys that swear by them but they never really delivered for me.

I agree. I've played every EJ Strat we've had in the store, (at least 12 if memory serves me right) and for the life of me I can't seem to bond with any of them. "Nice" sounding and feeling Strat, but I'm sorry, I just don't feel or hear the "magic" in it. I know guys love them, and I have two friends that get KILLER tones out of theirs, but they're just not for me. I have recently purchased a VERY sweet sounding (brand new) SRV Strat and after a set up and string change, I now feel and hear the "magic" of a great sounding Strat.

:)

katarzis
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
overhyped:
Lovepedal, Timmy

worth the hype:
OCD, TTE

Asimauve
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
overhyped : TREX REPLICA !!! IT IS YOU BASTARDS !!!

Underhyped ... ok I hate letting you guys in on this but old-school DOD stuff is the shiznit

teleman55
08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Overhyped: True Bypass, Matched Tubes.
Underhyped: Boss SD-1.

sandman
08-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Here's an idea....

Take ALL these pieces of gear and hook them all up with the gear they were originally evaluated with, and play them at three different volume levels-

1) bedroom levels

2) small venue

3) big rooms (obviously forget about a Champ/ Valve Jr. etc here, but you catch my drift)

It changes everything.;)

underhyped:

http://www.northcoastguitars.com.au/twinrevjbl%27s.jpg

epluribus
08-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Not Aria.

I just don't want to pi** in anyone cheerios so I left the name out. Plus, on the few occasions I have spoken to this builder, I have found him to be very much a gentleman and EVERYTHING ELSE he touches is gold. I just don't care for this one thing particularly - that's all.

Considerate, that, know how ya feel. Always cool to treat a good builder right. :AOK

Caught my eye cuz I've gotten into hot-rodding beat up old Arias, (weak hardware, great wood and necks) so I'm always interested in opinions pro or con. And now we return to our regularly scheduled topic. :)

--Ray

jharpersj
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Some thinsg I thought would be better:
Fulltone effects
Bogner Line 6
Customer Audio OD series
Tyler guitars consistency - meaning while I love his work out of the many that I had owned several did not play or were not the best sounding, the ones that were good were amazing
PRS in general, never end up keeping them, not sure why
TC Electronics - for whatever reason I don't anything by that company
Some things I think are really cool

Carol Ann Tucana (disclaimer the builder is a friend) - killer amp have never thought about selling it, endless compliments ever gig on the tone of that amp but more importantly its fun to play thru
Keeley TS808 - got this in trade never thought I would keep it but it is awesome, just s super pedal
Anderson Guitars - have used them for 15+ years, always consistent, sound great play great super customer support. No real reason to switch.
Mojo speaker cabs - amazing quality and sound, I would say Avatar has also been a nice suprize.
EV speakers - never thought I woudl like these but they are killer for everything

OK back to work :>

Agramal
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
From my personal experience:

Overhyped -

ZVex Super Hard On
Boss RV-3
Ibanez FL-9 Flanger

_sjm_
08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
i find devi ever pedals to be very unique, visionary, and well made, even if they do cater to a smaller group of musicians. thus, the under-hype. apples and oranges there.
I can somewhat agree with "unique" and "visionary", but wow... Well made? Really?

Apples and oranges for sure, though. Or bananas and fake peaches.

m@2
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
ok, I recently got a Klon Centaur, and while I do think it's very over-hyped, I also think it lives up to the hype, for me (if that is possible)

it's the only "leave on 95% the time" pedal I ever owned

Uma Floresta
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
just Because One Is Entitled To Having An Opinion Does Not Make Said Opinion Right.

;) :RoCkIn

hurleysurf
08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Overhyped:
Fulltone
All things Wah Pedals

Deserving:
All things BJFE
Ibanez TS808 reissue
All things Analogman
Keeley Phat Mod BD-2
T-Rex Replica
Boss DD-7

Jason Carter
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Here's an idea....

1) bedroom levels

2) small venue

It changes everything.;)

:AOK

Could not agree more!

_sjm_
08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Overhyped: Lovepedal

Deserving: Zvex

/runs from flames

IvIark
08-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Hee hee, true but we're on a forum where a very high percentage of the members will buy stuff on the recommendation of amateur players with no rep for good tone!

Unless everyone elses local shop holds Honey Bees and Klons.

hurleysurf
08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
hee Hee, True But We're On A Forum Where A Very High Percentage Of The Members Will Buy Stuff On The Recommendation Of Amateur Players With No Rep For Good Tone!

Unless Everyone Elses Local Shop Holds Honey Bees And Klons.

Ftw!

Dave_C
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Lives up to the hype:
Soldano SLO, James Trussart Steelcaster, Dr. Z amps, Fuchs products, Heritage H535, Two-Rock Amps, BludoTone Amps, Quinn Amps, Reinhardt Amps, RockyTop Amps

Not so much:

Should get more recognition:
Creation Audio Labs products, Modulus Graphite Blackknife Series guitars (Bob Weir), Godin Freeway Floyd Series

Lives up to hype but should get even more:
Reinhardt Amps, RockyTop Amps, Quinn Amps, James Trussart Custom Guitars.

IMHO of course!!!

bilbal

After recently taking delivery on a Quinn SDO (Skyglider II with "Mr.H" post od tone circuit) and spending a few hours tweaking the HRM (post-OD)trims for my gear and tastes, I could not agree more! Absolutely off-the-hook incredible sounding amp! The SDO clips on his site are among the best I've heard in this style of amp, but keep in mind the power of the HRM in sculpting those tones. I'm getting tones that suit me even better than the clips which caused me to buy the amp in the first place!

NewarkWilder
08-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Devi Ever pedals are very high quality--they have an intentionally lo-fi sound but that doesn't have anything to do with the way they are built.

But you're right... this looks soooo shoddy-

http://www.deviever.com/fx/bitmangler/bitma.jpg

why are people arguing about other people's opinions... lordy lordy.

Dave_C
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
The Most Overhyped Piece of Gear Ever: Zendrive

therhodeo
08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Devi Ever pedals are very high quality--they have an intentionally lo-fi sound but that doesn't have anything to do with the way they are built.

But you're right... this looks soooo shoddy-

http://www.deviever.com/fx/bitmangler/bitma.jpg

why are people arguing about other people's opinions... lordy lordy.

Ever opened one up? Also a cool sticker does not constitute high quality.

echodeluxe
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
i think that the boss space echo lived up to the hype and then some. its a great great delay pedal, and it really does sound like a space echo. they did a fantastic job on it.

also, i am really impressed by catalinbread's pedals, sound wise. they really do sound great! the hype was right.

galliant
08-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Over: Anything Fulltone, except the TTE... IMO.

ditto. I was actually considering letting go of my fulldrive mosfet. maybe replacing it with a zendrive or a honeybee perhaps?

NewarkWilder
08-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Ever opened one up? Also a cool sticker does not constitute high quality.

I've opened up a lot of pedals and am as impressed with hers as almost anyone else out there. and if you're looking at the sticker you're really missing the point. But damn, you sure feel the need to be right, don't you?

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Lives up to hype: :YinYang

Gibson Historic and reissued LPs
Fender Reissue Strats and Teles
Ernie Ball Music man guitars
Martin vintage reissue acoustics
Gibson reissue acoustics
Original Marshall Superlead amps
Marshall's 2061X 20W handwired reissue amp
Hiwatt DR103s
Reeves Hiwatt reissue amps and cabs
Audio Bros reissued Hiwatts
Dr. Z Prescription, ES and Stingray amps
Mesa LoneStar Special
Mesa MkIII amps
Mesa Blue Angel 1x12 amps
Early Mesa DR amps
Original Fender Deluxe Reverbs
Xotic RC clean boost

Doesn't live up to Hype: :mad:

Mesa MkIV amps
PRS guitars
Peavey Wolfbucket guitars and 5150 amps
Axe-fx when compared to the real thing
Fender Reissue amps
Vox reissue amps
Fender relic'd guitars
Line 6 anything

It's all personal preference http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/redface.gif..... what works for me may not work for someone else and vise-versa ... http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/smile.gif

M Hossa
08-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Lives up to hype:
What ever sounds good for you.

Doesn't:
What ever does not sound good for you.

smogfalls
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I already did the pedals so here goes the rest...

Lives up to the hype...

* Japanese Tele's
* Elitist Epiphones
* Cannabis Rex Speakers
* Bare Knuckle Pickups
* Lava Cables
* Gibson 59' VOS (got to get me one of those!)

Doesn't...

* Neumann Microphones
* Sabian HHX Cymbals
* Apple iPhone!

Flyin' Brian
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Lives up to hype:
What ever sounds good for you.
Doesn't:
What ever does not sound good for you.

A quiet yet perfectly spoken voice of reason.

jammybastard
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
All gear is overhyped.
The only person who can hear the difference is you and other guitar geeks in the audience.
Your average person can't hear the difference btwn a POD and a boutique amps, pedals, etc...and they don't really care either.
They just want to drink, dance, dance and have a good time.

smogfalls
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
...how profound.
If you can truly hear the difference then that makes it worthwhile. Someone needs to set the mark for quality tone, and thank God that some people do care.

Windup 43
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Overhyped:
Bad Monkey
Boss OD-3
Cusack Screamer
Verbzilla
Keeley BD-2

Lived up to the hype:
EHDMM
AD-999
PH-350
JH-F1
BB Preamp
CE-2
Direct Drive

Underhyped:
Arion SFL-1
Indyguitarist BSM BD-2
Dano French Toast

doublee
08-24-2008, 04:48 PM
YES to Martin D-18 GE...

Seditious
08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Overhyped: Buying what your favorite artist plays (find your own sound), vinyl, and Macs

Deserves the hype: Divided by 13 amps, Skreddy pedals, teh Gibson SG, Rickenbacker guitars, Martin acoustics, Wildwood thinskins, and practice.

Deserves more hype: Devi Ever, Ableton Live, using loops and tone generators, writing your own music, oh, and not taking it personally when someone else's opinion is different than yours.;)

NewarkWilder
08-24-2008, 06:14 PM
deserves more hype: Penny Pedals!!

Mac-P
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Overhyped:
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 DL-4 delay
MXR Carbon Copy
Analogman Bi-Comp (no offense to Mike who is a genius & cool as all hell)
EH Memory Man
Menatone Howie
Menatone KOTB
Fulltone 70 fuzz
PRS guitars
Mesa amps
Rivera amps
Seymour Duncan Custom 5 pickup
Seymour Duncan '59 pickup
Shure SM-58
Taylor acoustics

Underhyped:
Barber pedals
Pro Analog Direct Drive
Voodoo Labs pedals
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-2
Boss GE-7
Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Reissue wah
Fulltone FD II
Reverend Amps
Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
old Hartke HA3500 bass heads
Fulltone Cables
Gibson Pickups
Rio Grande Pickups
Mexico made Fender guitars & basses (there are some killer ones)
Rode condenser mics

Deserve the hype:
(certain) old Lovepedal Eternities
Skreddy Pink Flesh
Barber Tone Press
Boss DM-2
Boss CE-2
Seymour Duncan JB Pickup (in the right guitar)
80's JCM 800 Marshalls
old black face Fender amps
Bruno amps
Shure Beta 58
Neumann U87 (no I don't own one) :D
Mackie powered monitors
JBL EON monitors
a good big ol' Martin steel string
Guinness Draught
:BEER

Seditious
08-24-2008, 09:40 PM
:drink MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Guinness.

Tonefish
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Have you noticed the favorite beer thread has the highest incidence of posts in an incorrect thread.........:D

bilbal
08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I have posted a few times already but I have to include my newest gem to the under-rated list.

Vox AC50 2X12 combo - 50 watt EL34 with 2 Vox/Wharfedale GSH1230 8 ohm speakers. This amp is a monster in every way.

I also believe more attention needs to be paid to Heritage Guitars. In particular, the H535 w/ Seymour Duncan '59s.

bilbal

Seditious
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I was responding to Mac P's post, but it's always a good time to:drink

Mac-P
08-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Nothin better in the whole wide world bro.
:D

Lolaviola
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I am sure this post is doomed for eventual removal.:munch
It's back. Mwaaahahah!
[I'm bored]

hurleysurf
02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Overhyped:
Fulltone
All things Wah Pedals

Deserving:
All things BJFE
Ibanez TS808 reissue
All things Analogman
Keeley Phat Mod BD-2
T-Rex Replica
Boss DD-7

I'd like to redo my list...

Deserving:
Fulltone '69
T-Rex Replica
Zendrive
All things BJFE
Teese Wahs
All things Analogman except...

Overhyped:
Analogman KOT
All other things Fulltone
All other things Wah

floydfanatic
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't understand all the Fulltone bashing. Okay, Fulltone pedals are all well built and will last forever. Also there relativily cheap when it comes to boutique pedals. I love my OCD and my 70 Fuzz. Might get the mini deja vibe. Anywase one mans garbage is another mans gold. Some people are comfortable with their A) line 6 multi-effects processor, while others arn't B) comfortable without all true bypass, with a good buffer or 2. With me.....Im waiting till Im comfortable with all the gear I have. My choice is letter B

Blurillaz
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
over: everything by way huge

eclipseall
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
over: MI Audio
under: MXR

Storyville
02-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Over hyped- Axe Fx Ultra- there isn't a tube tone in the box.
Under hyper - Jackson Mr. Springy reverb pedal

zosozep7
02-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I personally think the TS 808. Only because I believe the Maxon OD-9 is just as good or better and about $75 cheaper. Also, the Marshall Vintage/modern.

Lives up: Taylor Big Baby! I wont give that guitar up for nothing! Ive had it for 5 years now and its here to stay. Also the Nova Delay!

stratplayer80
02-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Anything Pete Cornish is OVER-hyped and OVER-priced

NeilYoungFan
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Lives up to : Gibson Les Paul R8, Cornish, Analogman

Overhyped : TS clones, Dumble style pedals

roquero
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Underhyped: Rockbox Boiling Point LE Overdrive/Boost, Teese Joe Walsh Signature Wah, Maxon PH350 Phaser, Adrenalinn 3, Maxon OD9 Pro Plus, the Juicer half of the Analogman Bicomp, Ibanez CS505 Stereo Chorus, Yamaha DG Stomp and Magic Stomp
Lives up to the Hype: Analogman Beano Boost, Analogman Sun Face NKT 275, MXR Carbon Copy, MI Audio Crunch Box, Keeley Nova Wah
Overhyped: anything Line 6, Creation Labs MKII 4.23 boost

jads57
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM
There really is a lot of great gear available now in all cetegories thanks to a lot of creative people! Some that I own that are worth mentioning are in particular order:
Timmy pedal & Heritage Colonial amp (by Paul C.), Lovepedal Eternity Burst (PCB version), Cmatmods Brownie, Hamer Talladega, PRS Hollowbody (all versions), G&L Asat (various models), Martin OM21 Special, Ceriatone Overtone special( yes it really is a Dumble in disguise! ) I can say that because I actually have owned 2 real Dumbles before(I`m old, and bought them when they only cost me one of my legs!)

StompBoxBlues
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I'd like to redo my list...

Deserving:
Fulltone '69
T-Rex Replica
Zendrive
All things BJFE
Teese Wahs
All things Analogman except...

Overhyped:
Analogman KOT
All other things Fulltone
All other things Wah

I'm with you on the Zendrive, '69, BJFE, and Teese (though I LOVE my 535-Q just as much)...
also on the KOT ( but I notice I'm not selling it, I hear things in there that I think just aren't my thing right now, but also that might be useful later in another situation)....and I WAS with you on fulltone, except my OCD v4 blew that, I love the thing...it covers territory that the other pedals I have bought don't. If I had to choose (WHO would make me do that though?) between OCD and Zendrive, I'd go with the ZD in a second without hesitiation, but the OCD has become one of my favorites for what it does (I use it somewhat high gain)...

peridot1
02-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I do like EHX but they really need to address these noise issues. These are noisy pedals. That said I've yet to play the polychorus. Probably order it soon.

Coach
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Lives up to the hype: Klon, Timmy/Tim, Zendrive, HBOD, PGC, DRD, '76 ri Dyna Comp, DMM, Ibanez AD-80

Doesn't: Sex Drive, KOT, Eternity, VB-2

jcshirke
02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Lives up to the hype: Klon, Timmy/Tim, Zendrive, HBOD, PGC, DRD, '76 ri Dyna Comp, DMM, Ibanez AD-80

I don't even know what a lot of those pedals are. I guess I'm out of the loop. My Eternity sounds great, though. I don't really need it anymore, but it sounds great. Same with my King of Tone. Great pedal, at least with the amps I've tried it with. It mates with some amps better than others.

Jeff

ibzmav
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Lives up to : Barber Direct Drive

Overhyped : Emma ReezaFRATzitz

62Tele
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Overhyped -
Everything that's cool "this week"
Bashing stuff that was cool last week but not this week's darling (Fulltone is a fine example in this thread)
Looking for tone on the net while great players look for it in themselves

Underhyped -
Stuff that continues to deliver years after year
Noticing how many FINE and RECOGNIZED players use all the "wrong" gear but never seem to post
Recognizing the difference between the hobby/obsession of GAS and the art of music
Realizing that no matter how much you spend it isn't worth squat unless you have something to say, and that the guy/gal who has something to say will get up there with junk gear and smoke your sorry @$$ while your gushing over your fantastic gear choices

Kayzer
02-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Over Hyped: Landgraff, Death By Audio,

Worth it: FoxRox, Toneczar, Skreddy, D*A*M, Dr. Scientist...

hendrix2430
02-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Excellent stuff BUT overhyped (IMO of course...)

Klon Centaur
BJF Dyna Red
Baby Blue OD
DLS EchoTap
Lovepedal Eternity
Fulltone Fulldrive II

Underhyped or deserve the praise (IMO, of course...)

Tonebone Classic
HAO Rumble Mod
Boss RC-2
Lehle switchers
Diamond compressor

Deserves the consideration and TIME:

cables choices
pick choices

PanicProne
02-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Overhyped/Overpriced:
Verbzilla
Roland RE Space Echo
Digitech Whammy
Anything Tubescreamer (guess I'll be taking some heavy blows after the last two)

Deserved/Underhyped:
Fulltone '69
Keeley BD-2
Keeley TR-2
Pedal Power 2+
Boss BF-3

Tacos! :D

I Am Chris
02-25-2009, 12:56 PM

this.

i haven't heard one in person, so maybe it's the shit, but at the same time... i could never spring that cash for a freakin fuzz.

C.SCAN3
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Huh...now that you got that off your chest...
:huh

Overhyped -
Bashing stuff that was cool last week but not this week's darling (Fulltone is a fine example in this thread)

Underhyped -
Noticing how many FINE and RECOGNIZED players use all the "wrong" gear but never seem to post
Recognizing the difference between the hobby/obsession of GAS and the art of music
Realizing that no matter how much you spend it isn't worth squat unless you have something to say, and that the guy/gal who has something to say will get up there with junk gear and smoke your sorry @$$ while your gushing over your fantastic gear choices

Zero G
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Overhyped -

Underhyped -

So what's your MO for joining up at The Gear Page, then? :messedup

62Tele
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Good question. I think you can have a helpful, intelligent discussion of equipment and applications without getting into flame wars, berating manufacturers and without losing track of the simple fact that musicianship will always win out.

Am I implying that folks here are not musicians? Not in the least, and undoubtedly a lot of posters here have talent that far exceeds my own. But I see a tendency towards deterioration in posts that is very non-productive. A tendency to say "I think X is crap" and the inferences that "if you like X you don't know as much as I do" or "you have no ear" or what have you. Read what you will. All the while, notable iconic pro players get along just fine (and we all buy their CDs) with very "pedestrian" pedals, amps etc and sound fantastic.

The gear is a vehicle for the art, not the other way around. This and other forums become so fashion driven that perfectly good, if not outstanding pieces of gear are looked down upon and at times openly berated. As such, values are skewed, focus gets lost, and decent manufacturers offering excellent product are subject to damaging trends. All the while, prices inflate to offer impressively diminishing returns. Guess who suffers.

Given the times, I would hope that simple quality gear that is easily serviced or replaced and withstands the rigors of everyday use (gigs or otherwise) in my mind should be held in high regard. A forum like this can be an excellent resource or a confusing, if not damaging read. We are all basking in the best gear selection ever, and I think our tone should be appreciative, not derogatory.

NewarkWilder
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I think I posted earlier in this thread that Barber Electronics was overhyped. Its too big a thread for me to go back and find it, so i may have actually already replied to say this, but let me repeat myself just in case--

I was dead wrong. Barber stuff freaking rules, especially for the value. Yep, need a mighty strong wedge to dislodge my foot from my mouth on that one.

alguit
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Good question. I think you can have a helpful, intelligent discussion of equipment and applications without getting into flame wars, berating manufacturers and without losing track of the simple fact that musicianship will always win out.

Am I implying that folks here are not musicians? Not in the least, and undoubtedly a lot of posters here have talent that far exceeds my own. But I see a tendency towards deterioration in posts that is very non-productive. A tendency to say "I think X is crap" and the inferences that "if you like X you don't know as much as I do" or "you have no ear" or what have you. Read what you will. All the while, notable iconic pro players get along just fine (and we all buy their CDs) with very "pedestrian" pedals, amps etc and sound fantastic.

The gear is a vehicle for the art, not the other way around. This and other forums become so fashion driven that perfectly good, if not outstanding pieces of gear are looked down upon and at times openly berated. As such, values are skewed, focus gets lost, and decent manufacturers offering excellent product are subject to damaging trends. All the while, prices inflate to offer impressively diminishing returns. Guess who suffers.

Given the times, I would hope that simple quality gear that is easily serviced or replaced and withstands the rigors of everyday use (gigs or otherwise) in my mind should be held in high regard. A forum like this can be an excellent resource or a confusing, if not damaging read. We are all basking in the best gear selection ever, and I think our tone should be appreciative, not derogatory.
VERY well said! :agree

Lolaviola
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Overhyped -Looking for tone on the net while great players look for it in themselves...

Underhyped - ...Realizing that no matter how much you spend it isn't worth squat unless you have something to say, and that the guy/gal who has something to say will get up there with junk gear and smoke your sorry @$$ while your gushing over your fantastic gear choices
I thought this was a worthwhile post. Not argumentative. There is some merit to these arguments fo' sho'. 'Specially liked this bit:
...Recognizing the difference between the hobby/obsession of GAS and the art of music

m@2
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM

+2 great response. You make some excellent (and I think quite valid) points

triviani
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

this.

i haven't heard one in person, so maybe it's the shit, but at the same time... i could never spring that cash for a freakin fuzz.

That's stuff for professionals. The problem is when a home based guitar player "needs" to have the gear that Lou Reed uses to play live in front of 5.000 people.. It's like the photography "aficionado" that buys the most expensive camera in the market to take pictures of his dog.

Blurillaz
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Overhyped:
Every digitech whammy

Underhyped:
Devi Ever

chuckmoose
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Tim or Timmy (sounds exactly like your amp, but with more gain - how about I just turn the gain up on my amp then?)

My amps don't have gain, and I don't want them to. The Timmy is my gain knob. I think it lives up to it's promise.

My handwired Eternity Burst is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above any other Tube Screamer type pedal I have tried, and I have tried a lot of them.

I was underwhelmed somewhat by the Zendrive, and completely underwhelmed by the Liquid Sunshine.

J D Miley
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Matchless C 30 is what it is and there is no Match in it's class. Had it for 11 years and never had a problem with it. Retubed it twice in 11 years.

Blurillaz
03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
need to add bad monkey (almost all compliments seem to contain the phrase "for the money"...) and tim or timmy (sounds exactly like your amp, but with more gain - how about i just turn the gain up on my amp then?)
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Mad_Scientist
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Very interesting thread, heres my opinion:

Deserves the Hype:
Skreddy Mayo (Got mine before they were discontinued, if stolen I'd pay the $300-$400 they sell for on ebay to replace it)
Orange Rockerverb 50 (Yes its voiced dark, and thats why I like it)
Taylor Acoustics (The only electronics on the market that really capture an acoustic guitar sound)
Heritage Guitars (what Gibson Guitars are supposed to be)

Overhyped:
Analogman chorus
WCR Pickups (good pickups, but not better than my favorite DiMarzio or SD)
PRS Guitars
Avatar Traditional 4x12 w/ V30 G12H30 mix (Love the Avatar Contemporary cabs though, my Contemporary 2x12 sounds better than my Traditional 4x12)

Underhyped:
Fender Pro Tube Twin (Not a vintage Twin sound, fortunatly I don't care about vintage Twin sound)

Mullenski
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Delivers the goods:
American Standard Strat
Basic PRS Swamp Ash with McCartys (no quilt, flame, birds, or 10 top)
Budda
Mesa
Retro-Sonic
aNaLoG.MaN
Barber Electronics
Sweet Sound MoFaux
Moody Leather

I'm not an experienced enough player to even think about saying something is overhyped. Have heard guys get on my rig and dial in absolute killer tones using stuff I was ready to give up on.

In my case, the sobering truth is; it's the player not the gear.

infragreen
03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Lives up to the Hype:
G@L, Carr, Bogner.

Over-hyped:
Every single boutique overdrive/distortion pedal ever made.

blastastick
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Everything is fair game -- pedals, guitars, amps, etc. What got raves but disappointed you? What lived up to the raves?

IMO:

Overhyped - OCD v. 1., Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser

Lives up to hype - Les Paul R8 (with new pickups), Klon

MOST OVERHYPED - Two Rock and Komet by far.

Lives up to hype, anything by John Landgraff, and to a lesser extent Pete Cornish.

Blurillaz
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
The reason I say that way huge is overrated is those are WAY HUGE prices. 1000 for a pedal?

rul8agn
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Instead of "overhyped" and "underhyped", I prefer worth the money and not worth the money. i.e. I think the Timmy is "overhyped" because everyone talks about this pedal way too much, but it is an amazing pedal and definitely worth the money, even the used prices.

Worth the price - Menatone, Barber, Tim/Timmy, Analogman, CMATMODS, Keeley, Fulltone cables, Traynor YCV50Blue

Not worth the price - Fulltone pedals, Boss, Digitech/Hardwired, PRS

These are from my experience which is why all of my "worth it" gear is some of what I own. My "not worth it" gear is just stuff that I couldn't jive with personally. There are some exceptions in both cases for individual pedals.

MelMann
03-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Recent stuff I was disappointed in & sold fast: Blues Driver, Box of Rock
Recent stuff I thought was awesome and not hyped enough: Devi Ever

Blurillaz
03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Recent stuff I thought was awesome and not hyped enough: Devi Ever
+infinity
Devi is selling some pedals through MF now, so you guys should check em out.

Painasusual
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Overhyped: All Carl Martin junk.
Worth the hype: OCD, Dunlop JH-F1 fuzzface, T-Rex Viper & Alberta + All Voodoo Lab stuff.

StratsRule07
03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I can't really say if somethings overhyped either, I have not had the chance to play over half the stuff mentioned in this thread. What has been worth every penny...

Traynor amps (extensively demo'd several, ended up with a YCV-50B)
American Strat (no mods, and it's the one I will never get rid of)
Dano TOD (nice to drive the dirt channel on my Traynor, or for just a little boost)
GHS Fast Fret (...just try it, in moderation)
Behringer Vintage Delay (find me a better one for $30, actually for less than $100)

I really wasn't too into the OCD, Fulldrive 2, Octafuzz, and several others that I don't want to waste time listing. Not that they weren't great pedals, just not worth their weight in gold as some had said. No matter how many pedals I went through, I always went back to just an OD, delay, and a bit of reverb.

I'm thinking my whole board is going to come in at under $200 (5 pedals), so I'm happy. Especially with all the extra dough I have from selling off higher end pedals.

spitshineguitars
03-20-2009, 03:09 AM
OVERHYPED: What is NOT on my board

LIVES UP TO HYPE: What IS on my board.

One man's trash is another man's treasure....different strokes for different folks.

Plus.....if I said what I didn't like...I would have 50 dudes with a ponytail and receding hairline telling me that i'm "Tone" deaf or something.

gnashville
03-20-2009, 03:21 AM
hmmm...

Overhyped/Not what I hoped for: Fulltone '69 and OCD, Dumble Overdrive Special, Macpherson acoustic, DR Strings, Nash Tele, the new U2 record

Worth it/Giddy about: Creation Audio Labs Redeemer circuit, Naylor Super Drive 60, Red Witch Moon Phaser, Epiphone Masterbuilts, TimeFactor, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Duesenberg White Drive, Barber Tone Press, gaff tape.

PanicProne
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
OVERHYPED: What is NOT on my board

Plus.....if I said what I didn't like...I would have 50 dudes with a ponytail and receding hairline telling me that i'm "Tone" deaf or something.
come on man! That's half the fun! :)

mike patrick
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi phoenix 7 if you don't mind me asking what does your alias refer to? thanks mike

huskerjohn
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Overhyped or didn't work for me: Fulltone 70's pedal, MXR Carbon Copy, Mayo, PRRI.

Lived up to hype or exceeded my expectations: Dice Works NPN fuzz and Muff Diver Finale, Screwdriver and most other Skreddy products, Lovekraft Mojo Drive, Lovelpedal Eternity, Reinhardt 18.

thetangmang
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Underhyped: Rivera Amps

Deserves the hype: Hermida stuff

62Tele
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Alright, so this time I'll play along (nicely)

Worth whatever hype they get, feel good about the money I spent;
- Barber Pedals - Great for all reasons, super service
- Allen Amps - Same, wonderful build quality.
- Most things Boss - How can you argue with the value and durability?
- Carl Martin - despite the "junk" comment above, I've had nothing but good luck with their gear and after listening to a LOT of boutique pedals, my Quattro and Parametric still sound great to me and work in several applications.
- USA Custom Guitar Parts - great product, great service
- TV Jones
- National Resophonic
- Collings
- Epi Elitists - what were they thinking when they stopped this line?
- K&K Pure Western Minis

Way over-bashed;
- Fulltone - I have a Clyde Deluxe and the MDV-2 and they work/sound great for my setup. Very roadworthy stuff, with a good dose of built-in practicality. Don't find a need to try out replacements.

Don't bond with;
- Mesa amps - respect the company, just don't gel with the tone
- OCD v4 - only version I've tried, cool pedal but not what I'm after
- Carbon Copy
- PRS Guitars and the like - very pretty, heard a couple truly great ones, not for me.

Looking forward to receiving/deciding on;
- Retro-sonic Analog Delay
- Timmy
- Supa-Trem

Way Over-Hyped;
- Judging current gear based on vintage tone. Jimmy was Jimmy, Eric er, was Eric, Stevie Ray was Stevie Ray etc. Cop you own tone. Gear is way better now than ever and "back in the day" we were always finding flaws with a lot of the current holy grails.
- Thinking automatically that a small builder's product is "better" by default.
- Thinking that an audience can really tell the difference with a lot of this stuff.

Way Under-Hyped
- Value, Durability and Customer Service - can't hype these enough

Clifford-D
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Overhyped: gear
Underhyped: playing

:o
Yea, but I hate great playing with crappy tone.

Great playing includes great tone imo.

79stratman
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Over hyped:

-Anything Fulltone (excpet the TTD)
-Zendrives (any version)
-AC Boost
-LDO (John is a fantastic guy, though!)

Appropriate hype:

-TIMMY
-RC & BB
-Korg G-4
-Victoria Amps

Under hyped:

-Lizared Leg Flying Dragon
-Boss RT 20
-YATS
-KJL amps
-Fender 75
-Vintage Vibrations Amps
-Hempconed JBL D-130F by ABrownSoun

awelti
06-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Full disclosure - I'm with Creation Audio...

Underhyped: Anything made by Creation Audio Labs... we really love audio gear and are totally commited to making it right; but it is all by word-of-mouth.

Overhyper: My kid!!!

;-)

Skip

PS. Sorry - I couldn't resist jumping in...

Sadetripod
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Underhyped: Death Valley Cable Co, Ampeg VL-1001, Bonepicker Tight Squeeze, Effects Pedal Boutique SRB 808+, Carvin

Overhyped: Mesa Boogie, Boss, NOS vacuum tubes when at outrageous prices

musica23
06-06-2009, 07:29 AM
overhyped - just about every pedal ever made.
Underhyped - leaving your gear stock

+1!

frdagaa
06-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Meets expectations: Fuchs ODS50, Analogman KOT v4.

Overhyped: Hopefully, no more than 20% of what I will purchase in the next year or two.

Telepatio
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I guess what this thread proves is that what works for one person doesn't work for another!

And that people like to hate on Fulltone! (Confession, I have about 4-5 Fulltone pedals which I like, but I like most gear really!)

Hanbali13
06-25-2009, 02:54 AM
overhyped: boss products :horse
lives up to hype:original way huge pedals. especially the superpuss, sasquatch and swollen pickle :love:

Blurillaz
06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Yea, but I hate great playing with crappy tone.

this is very true, try going from your amp, to a fender 15g :eek:

jcarpenter
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Overhyped: Boss, Marshall, Expensive Boutique Amps, anything NOS and RMC.

Underated: Bugera Amps, New Jensen Speakers, Dean Guitars, George L's, Kahler Bridges.

pnksntdead
08-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Good: King of Tone, Landgraff MOD & DOD, Eric Johnson Strats, Ibanez Scofield, Lovato Richtone amps (not really hyped, more like notorious, but I'm floored by two that I've played), Orion C-Wah

Good but not for me: a lot of Gibsons, Fender Road Worn Series, Ethos (halfway here, I'll probably like the one with the TLE mod)

GitarooMan
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Overhyped: Everything

Lives up to the hype: Everything

joek86
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
OH- Carr amps , tried to like 3 of them..no go

Lived up- Reinhardt amps, Xotic RC and BB, Koll guitars

Under Hyped- Greer amps...Have the Tbolt and love it.

Kaji13
08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I would like to invite all who have expressed love for Devi Ever pedals in this thread to form a guitar circle with me and eat organic lolly-pops. :hiP

Over-hyped: Majority of boutique clean boosts and Overdrives

Under-hyped: Boutique tremelo and modulation effects.

aaron1433
09-24-2009, 10:27 PM
overhyped: Xotic, Most wahs,

Didn't work for me: Splawn

Singing their praises loud and proud: Grosh, Michael Bashkin, Peterson strobe tuners (cept for the built in mics). Barber effects.

Chonny
09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
dude!!!

im getting rid of mine for the same reason!!! the thing sound great, but my balance isnt all it should be...

You are supposed to really put these on top of a table or an amp and use your hand.

Chonny
09-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Nobody plays with the same gear, settings, or goes after the same exact tone.

This is why there are multiple manufacturers and not just a goverment edition guitar, amp, and pedal (that would be a funny concept huh?).

So everyone that uses a Fender will have certain things that mesh with their setup the best and everyone with a Marshall or Vox will have things that mesh with their setups the best. Some of these things are not like the other...

Fulltone gets a lot of flak, hes the largest boutique company with the most money, a ton of experience and knowledge, and people hold him to really high standards. I find the Fulltone OCD to be the most overrated pedal in history but obviously you just need to check the serial number to see that they sell a ton of those pedals. Personally I find the FD2M and the RTO much better pedals. I sort of like the '69 and '70 but I really like the Soul Bender. I really like the Supa Trem, and I really like the MDV ver 1.

The Timmy was so hyped I had to try one. Its a really great pedal. I'm happy with the gouged price I paid for it on ebay. I set my amp a certain way and leave it, If I turned up the gain on my amp it would screw up all my settings that I have at a nice neutral sound which works great with my other pedals. If I want to crank the amp the Timmy does it. But its different from a clean boost. There's less volume than a clean boost and more drive with more controllable levels. So you don't have to crank everything and when you step on it be at a volume level that is unsuitable for live situations in a bar or small club.

Theres too much shit to talk about really.

Im caught up on the Red Witch line. My friend is a dealer and Im getting the stuff at cost. Its not overrated at all for those prices, haha!

Matt-o-caster
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
I like this thread...I've seen my stuff on BOTH sides of the aisle! Looks like Fulltone takes a beating though.

Yeah, I've noticed that Fulltone gets hosed a lot on TGP. Funny, I'm still using my 2001 Fulldrive 2 as my main OD -- nothing else I've tried compares, IMO. If you're a TS808 nut, I don't know how the early Fulldrives can sound bad.

I'll make my contribution to the thread...

Overhyped: That new boutique pedal that sounds heads and shoulders above anything else you've ever tried, only to be tossed into the overhyped category weeks later when something else comes along.

Underhyped: Your fingers.

thedroid
09-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Overhyped: When a pedal is cheap, I think it's easy to overhype it. I think the Dano Cool Cats, for example, are a great buy and an excellent choice on a budget, but I think a lot of the hype comes from the fact that you're just surprised it's not crap.

Underhyped: Throbak pedals. I own only one -- the ODB -- but I've liked it more than some other pedals that get a lot more love. I think it's got a great vintagey, untamed sound.

Ming Chow
09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
To me,

The Tim lived up to the hype. The Memory Boy too.

A very underhyped pedal is the EHX Graphic Fuzz.

thedroid
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Also underhyped: Phoenix Custom Electronics. The Ranger I had was a killer treble boost.

Lived up to the hype: Tim.

Lt_Core
09-25-2009, 09:47 AM
My most recent "overhyped" pedal was the Catalinbread DLS. No offense to the Catalinbread folks. I tried for a month or so to make that pedal fit into my gigging set-up. Keep in mind that I LOVE Catalinbread pedals. The Silver Kiss Trinity pedal has a permanent home on my board. There's so much love for the DLS here at TGP but I couldn't get it to sound right to my ears. The Catalinbread videos with Howard G playing are fantastic but I couldn't make it sound even close to that.

I replaced it with a Barber Custom Super Sport and found the tone I needed. Sound is definitely in the ears of the beholder. I'll keep buying Catalinbread pedals so keep making them :)

Ambient Exposure
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Tim & KOT both live up to my expectations which was quite high considering the hype.

a1briz
09-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Overhyped: Tubes, True Bypass

aroman
09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Overhyped - Dumble Amps, WB PUPs,
Lives Up to Hype - Scumback Speakers, Harmonic Design Z-90, T.V. Jones Classic PUPs, RockyTop Amps, PRS McCarty I.

Classic09
09-25-2009, 10:16 AM
The Catalinbread videos with Howard G playing are fantastic but I couldn't make it sound even close to that.

I replaced it with a Barber Custom Super Sport and found the tone I needed. Sound is definitely in the ears of the beholder. I'll keep buying Catalinbread pedals so keep making them :)

I struggle NOT to get a similar sound. If the Barber CSS works for you then all good!

Over hyped:
Fulltone OCD

Under hyped:
Any Retro-Sonic effects. RS are making some of THE best pedals at the moment.

Fishin'Musician
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I didn't bond with:
Any Seymour Duncan Tele p'ups. (lack of clarity)
Zendrive (too subtle)
T.C. Nova Delay (colors the tone too much)

I love:
Fuchs ODS 100
Grosh
Ethos
Suhr
STROBOSTOMP

Special Mention:
G&L (extremely underrated-more consistent than Fender)

Tubbs
10-08-2009, 01:55 AM
overhyped: subdecay echobox, lovepedal amp50

underhyped: pigtronix echolution, jacques prisoner, nick greer sonic boom, danelectro fish and chips, copilot effects, switching boxes made by badger effects

gonepostaltwice
10-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Overhyped: pedals that are only cool because no one else has them, one trick pedals tat cost over $300

Underhyped: Smart People Factory, Quality Cables, practice, realizing that there's more to life than TGP.

Lucidology
10-08-2009, 05:16 AM
I hate great playing with crappy tone.

This kind of attitude is "overhyped" ...
Tone isn't everything ...

jzucker
10-08-2009, 06:31 AM
lives up to the hype - Anything we currently own that needs to maintain it's high $$$
overhyped - Anything listed in the emporium

madaxeman1
10-08-2009, 07:39 AM
over - overpriced clean boosts

under - SRB808+

bearbike137
10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
The OCD V1 lived up to the hype IMO.

I completely agree with this. I think they ruined that pedal by changing it. I cherish my OCD V1. I know a bigtime Fulltone dealer who told me that he feels exactly the same way.

tokiswartooth
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Anything Fulltone

Line 6 M-13

Klon, decent fat boost, but 1 trick pony. WAY too much money.

tokiswartooth
10-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Landgraff stuff has lived up to the hype, everything has comr and gone, still go back his stuff.

ibodog
10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Anything with a BRAND NAME is overhyped. That's why brands exist - to be hyped. Anything mentioned on TGP pretty much qualifies as overhyped.

Nothing EVER lives up to the hype...

TGP is a hype machine! ;)

sanhozay
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Tuners and tuning systems are the most hyped of all time. True bypass is up there too.

bubbaheat
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Overhyped - YouTube Demos that don't really tell you what a pedal sounds like anyway

Underhyped - SRB808+, actually playing something before you buy it.

trickness
10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
hate to say it, but effectrode. really wanted to love this pedal but my vibra chorus was $450, and came with a defect that produced a high pitched squealing noise. the sounds it made despite the squeal were nice, but I returned it and got a Fulltone MDV2, half the money, 95% of the tone, and it seems pretty bulletproof.

Russorama
12-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Overhyped: Lovepedal Eternity .....pretty ok really but not quite up to the enormous hype IMHO.
Lives up to the hype: Fulltone OCD version 3 .... love it, love it, love it....an "always on" pedal for me.

Dumo
12-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Over hyped: Buying expensive music gear.
Living up to the hype: Skill

NewarkWilder
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
hate to say it, but effectrode. really wanted to love this pedal but my vibra chorus was $450, and came with a defect that produced a high pitched squealing noise. the sounds it made despite the squeal were nice, but I returned it and got a Fulltone MDV2, half the money, 95% of the tone, and it seems pretty bulletproof.

my VC had the same issue, but I took them up on the warranty and got a brand new replacement immediately which works perfectly and sounds amazing. Effectrode customer service is the absolute best. The VC is probably my favorite bit of modulation I've ever used.

observe783
12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Over hyped - Gibson guitars, Fulltone GT500, and all these outrageously priced RAT clone/update things, just ridiculous.

Live up to the hype - Komet amps, Hot Cake paired with an AC30, Tung Sol tubes.

Under hyped - Wampler Super Plextortion (just awesome in so many ways), 5150 II, AC30CC (who cares if it's made in China, they sound top notch), Burny guitars. Or any other Japanese models for that matter, such as Tokai and Greco. I'd rather own one of those than an actual Gibson any day of the week. And I have owned and played both the copies and the real thing. Can't beat them imo.

Chonny
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Underhyped:

- Rickenbacker. Nuff said.

- Gretsch Power Jet. You get TV Jones pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, Schaller strap locks, a pinned tune-o-matic bridge (Gretsch people understand this) and a US Bigsby, all for way under 2k, from the right dealer. Smokes a Gibson. Lightweight (Gretsch Jets been chambered for 50+ years).

Lives up to hype:

- Catalinbread effects.

- Rothwell Hellbender.

- Timmy

Overhyped:

- Anything made by Gibson USA or Gibson Custom

- Fender American guitars since an American strat is now 1200 bucks. I remember when I bought one for 650 bucks.

- new Fender Amps

- All PRS guitars.

- Zvex pedals.

- Lovepedals

- Skreddy Pedals

- The OCD

Jahn
12-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Underhyped. These Japanese Gretsches. Damn they are sweeter than I thought they'd be. Those guys are putting this stuff together like each one's their baby!

Lives up to hype - JMI-era tube Vox amps. My AC10 Twin still stuns me every time I crank it. Same goes for Blackface Fenders. The Pro shows me why Blackfaces have the reputation they do.

Overhyped: Pedaltrain Mini. Dammit I need to stick a Pedalpower under the board, why am I forced to buy rubber feet risers to do so?

POD Buster
12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Overhyped - True Bypass
Underhyped - Ibanez Tube Screamer (stock)

jlott
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Overhyped - just about every pedal ever made.
Underhyped - leaving your gear stockTrue very true. I argue with my pedal loving buddies all time to ditch all that crap and go back to basics.

tin_can_willy
12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
over-hyped = almost EVERY piece of equipment that is currently out of production, overpriced super low-wattage "boutique" amps, new "relic" guitars, FX pedals that emulate in-studio tape manipulation, Pete Cornish pedals, Zvex Fuzz Factory pedal. etc.

AWESOME = HBE Frost Bite flanger, WMD Geiger Counter, old tube amps, the first guitar you found, saved for, and bought when you were a kid... borrowing your FX obsessed friends stuff when you need to use it, old worn straps, Lindy Fralin PUPS, GREAT CUSTOM AMPS for less than $1000-, still being in possession of all the old "shitty" used pedals, amps, and guitars that you acquired when you were a kid from the pawn shops, thrift stores, and music shops before there was pretension and ebay!!!

jzucker
12-15-2009, 08:13 AM
any gear thread longer than 10 pages is probably a good rule of thumb. I notice that there is a certain herd mentality to some of this stuff.

southtone
12-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Klon definitely live up to the hype. Just got one yesterday and it rocks! I still think they are a little pricey though.

Echoes22
12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
lives up to hype - Boss HM-2, Boss PS-3

Overhyped - POG, DLS

Nevil Bamshoot
12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
OK why the hell not.

Worth it - Barber Small Fry, MXR Boost/Line Driver, Boss DD-20, Boss OD-3, Badger Buffer, Dunlop DC Brick, Guyatone FL-3

Not worth it - Rat w/ Keeley Mod, Visual Sound H20, Guyatone Fuzz,

Under-rated - Behringer CC-300 (sounds awesome, same CA chips as the Boss DC-2, chinzy housing), DeArmond Weeper, BBE Sonic Stomp, Digitech EX-7

bonchie123
12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Overhyped - True Bypass
Underhyped - Ibanez Tube Screamer (stock)

Agreed about True Bypass.

I have both True and Buffered pedals, but in the end, a great buffered pedal will sound just as good bypassed and you don't have to deal with the loud clicks and pops of a TB switch. That's not the say TB isn't great at what it does, but the people who won't even buy a pedal unless it's TB are going overboard.

tin_can_willy
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
any gear thread longer than 10 pages is probably a good rule of thumb. I notice that there is a certain herd mentality to some of this stuff.
why make a complaint about something that you yourself have become a part of???

Dissentience
12-15-2009, 12:26 PM
overhyped: any single-function pedal over $300, except for the toneczar stuff

lives up to hype (IMO): Fulltone OCD, Skreddy pedals, Line 6 DL-4, vintage RATs

KissTone
01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Over: Fuzz pedals that cost as much as a mid-level guitar

Under: Any of the BYOC kit pedals---great pedals, parts, and tone.

JackJordan
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Under hyped: Electro Harmonix Hog

CWFurst
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Over: Fuzz pedals that cost as much as a mid-level guitar

Under: Any of the BYOC kit pedals---great pedals, parts, and tone.

+1 with the fuzz pedal scene. Seems to be the trend right now too. It's a damn shame.

daveg777
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I have yet to play a "Dumble" sounding pedal that sounds anything like it was advertised, not that I EXPECT a pedal to sound like a $40K amp....

However, I have never played an Ethos....

Dave

Glitch Magnet
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Just about any "tube" based overdrive/distortion, like the Real Tube or Tone Bone. I've had them both apart, and in neither one does the tube have anything to do with the distortion creation or voicing. These pedals are pure diode clipping. I think you could alter the drive in the Real Tube by swapping in a 12AU7, but the Tone Bone has the tube at its output, so all you get is less signal.

Waxhead
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Overhyped - Dumbles and Boss pedals.

Under appreciated on TPG - Mesa Boogie amps and MXR pedals.

Chadley
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I have found Lovepedal stuff to be overhyped. They don't sound bad....they just certainly didn't live up to the "hype" around here.

So far I have tried:

Les Lius (really cool pedal but needs a tone control)
Kanji E
Englishman

I will probably try some more, but so far they haven't lived up to my expectations.

Chadley
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Pedals that live up to the hype:

Tim
DLS
Aquavibe
Timefactor

Voodoodude69
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Overhyped

-D*A*M
-Klon
-Skreddy

Great pedals i'm sure, but there's tons of others out there that can compete just as good in my opinion. All d*a*m stuff looks and sounds the same. My 2 cents.

Steven
01-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Timmy lives up to the hype.

greenlander
01-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Under hyped: Electro Harmonix Hog

+ eleventy bajillion

Overhyped: Digitech Hardwire pedals

vesper
01-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Lives up to the hype T-Rex Replica.

fieldsroyal
01-27-2010, 04:32 AM
overhyped - dam

underhyped - menatone

MadFrank
01-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Overhyped - Anything by Blackstar. Particularaly the Artisan amps and HD Dual pedals - guess you havent seen too much of these in the U.S - but beware - they have a big marketing budget!

Lived up to it - Fender custom Shop guitars.:dude

Classic09
01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Overhyped - Fulltone OCD. This pedal does no good through a marshall

Lived up to it - Fulltone Fulldrive2, Catalinbread DLS, MXR/CAE MC-404 wah, Retro-sonic chorus. Fender Custom Shop Nocaster (with rosewood neck)

Underhyped - JMI tonebender MKII reissue. OMG it's good. Wolfetone Legend Pickups.

j4j
01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Timmy lives up to the hype.

:agree

j4j

peridot1
01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Just about any "tube" based overdrive/distortion, like the Real Tube or Tone Bone. I've had them both apart, and in neither one does the tube have anything to do with the distortion creation or voicing.

Never played the Real Tube but I'd never judge tube pedals by playing a Tonebone. Had the TriMode once and sold it in a week.

There some fine ones out there. Effectrode Tube Drive is one.

jchan
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Overhyped: Fractal Axe-Fx

Lived Up To It: Landgraff DO and MO'D. Best appreciated during a gig.

seeker
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Overhyped - All boost, distortion and overdrive pedals. never found one that I liked.

Underhyped-Preserving the tone in your boutique tube amp/ guitar , and not slamming 10 Solid State pedals up front . True Bypass, or Buffered Bypass, at that point you'd never hear the difference. LOL

Glitch Magnet
02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Never played the Real Tube but I'd never judge tube pedals by playing a Tonebone. Had the TriMode once and sold it in a week.

There some fine ones out there. Effectrode Tube Drive is one.

I just remembered, I had a Varidrive once as well. Hated it. Raspy, fizzy. I sent it to the manufacturer, and he just made it darker. That one had an actual high-voltage power supply with a single 12A-whatever-7 driven by a single FET. Should have sounded good but it didn't. Sold it.

Coach
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM

I would like to add the aquavibe and HOG under the lives up to the hype category.

phoenix 7
02-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Underhyped: Fulltone GT-500 (red)

thegroover
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Not up to my expectations
WB Pickups
Might have helped if I had ever got them.

:horse

dspiffy
02-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Overhyped: DS-1, Jekyl & Hyde. I havent gotten a tone I liked out of any of these.

Worth the hype: Bad Monkey, all the Fulltone stuff I've tried. Twin Reverb.

sutherland
02-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Lives up to the hype: Pretty much every single Barber Pedal, especially the DDSS, LTD SR, and Small Fry. Analogman Sun Face & Sun Lion...Incredible!

10strings
02-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Overhyped: Keeley compressor, TS9, DL4, EHX Holy Grail, Jeckyle and Hyde

Lives up to the Hype: Diamond Compressor, Rockbox Boiling Point, Tonefreak Severe, Nova Repeater, Glass Nexus.

Twik
02-16-2010, 12:48 AM
To the folks cutting on PRS and FUlltone... I have to chime in and say nay... My OCD stacked up next to ts9 and an OD808 absolutely holds it's own... I am sure it is a taste/style thing but I really like the smooth drive I get from it... The TS still hold a place on the board but if I had to keep only one, the OCD would stay
And On the PRS, not sure what you have played but my Custom 22 simply sings and still goes to the studio with me over my tele, my LP and my Strat... All great guitars but my PRS simply makes me a better player!

rhythmrocker
02-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Lives up: Suhr Riot. I may end up selling a few of my OD's once I can borrow one for more than an hour.

Fuhgawz
02-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Hold's up: Klon, Timmy, Teese RMC6 wah.

Doesn't: Eternity, OCD, Fulltone '69 and '70.

jchan
02-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Overhyped: Axe-Fx

Lives up to it: Landgraff Dynamic OD & MO'D pedals

MattS
02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Over-Hyped:
Most Gibson and Fender guitars (I think most are ridiculously over-priced for their quality and/or features), Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive, Line 6 amps, Boss RV-5 reverb pedal

Under-Hyped (deserves more hype):
First Act Sheena CE240 guitar, Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff, Boss DD-7 delay pedal

Arf
02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Everything is fair game -- pedals, guitars, amps, etc. What got raves but disappointed you? What lived up to the raves?

IMO:

Overhyped - OCD v. 1., Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser

Lives up to hype - Les Paul R8 (with new pickups), Klon

Way, WAY overhyped? Mesa Recto amps, PRS and any so called "Super Strats" (Jackson, ESP, etc.)

Lives up to hype? Gibson Les Pauls-most of 'em

Under hyped? The newest US made Fender Strats, Deluxe, Standad, any (last four years). Put 'em up against anything out there.

zosozep7
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Over hyped........ Whatever I DONT own
Lives Up To hype....... Whatever I DO own
Under Hyped........... Whatever I buy next

:D:D

SuperunknownH.
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Uder - Okko Diablo, Dunlop JH-F1 fuzz, Marshall 1987X, Tokai and similar "old" japan made guitars

Lives up to - MJM Phantom, L'DO, OCD, Skreddy Lunar Module and Echo, AM Sunface

Over - Out of production stuff...it's no longer made you know... :facepalm

goodhonk
03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
vintage gear, hand wired amps/pedals.

Zeon45
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Overhyped -any EHX Memory Man/Boy/Toy delays.

Lives up to Hype - Empress VMSD (Outstanding Delay)
JH-F1 Fuzz Face (Fantastic!!)

Droptop
03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Overhyped : Catlinbread WIIO
Worth the Hype: Toneczar Openhaus, Klon, PRS 57/08 pickups

jimtaka
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
good gear that i feel is over-hyped: mesa amps, keeley compressor, mij/cij fender guitars, fulltone ocd, zendrive, every pedal from zvex, klon centaur, catalinbread dls

gear that i feel is over-hyped: blackstar amps, bugerra amps

deserves the hype: analogman pedals, fulltone clyde deluxe, fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet, lava cables, old fender amps, most catalinbread pedals, mia fender guitars

under-hyped: wampler pedals, newer fender amps, pumaboards

gear that i haven't been able to get yet that i am most curious about: skreddy pedals, tim, barber tone press, rothwell love squeeze, marion henry fuzz bucket, lovepedal pedals, blackout pedals

71Model
03-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Over-Hyped: lots of high end acoustic guitars
Deserves Hype: Hohner Essential series Dreadnaught w/earvana nut
Over-Hyped: Historic LPs 5K, com'on..
Deserves Hype: Silvertone tube amps

tripp2k
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Overhyped: Aqua Puss :stir

PEImatrix
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Early MIJ Fender RI's live up to the hype and so do the Classic Vibes IMO.

hamstrat
03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Over-hyped- clips, especially clips of amps. How in the world can you possibly make a purchasing decision based on something that has been poorly recorded, compressed to smithereens and then played over your crappy PC speakers? Sorry, but in my experience I need to play it myself at the volume I play at and with my guitar.

Is it just me? :confused:

Neither over-hyped or under-hyped- clips of pedals. Much of the above is true about pedals but if you don't know what a flanger sounds like and you hear a clip of one- well, that helps.

imguitardan
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Worthy: Skreddy, much of BJF's stuff, Skinpimp, D*A*M, Timmy.

Underhyped (but worthy): Basic Audio (some of the best fuzzes PERIOD), Crowther Hot Cake, an original Rat, Treble Boosters, Barber, Wampler.

Over : Landgraff, Klon, Way Huge (originals) (yes, I've played them).

jguitarnash
03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Worthy: Zendrive, Tech 21 American Woman, Way Huge Swollen Pickle

Underhyped: MXR Distortion +, Double Muff, Dinos Rust box, Big Muff w/Tone Wicker, Danelectro Fabtone,

Overhyped: Boss Distortions, Jekyll and Hyde, Box of Metal and Fuzz Factory

utrguitar
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Overhyped:
•You WILL find your tone if you spend a lot on a piece of gear. Good stuff usually costs more but it doesn't mean it's good for you. (I found that out when I purchased a Super Reverb...)
•A pedal that A LOT of people have/want isn't a good/worthy pedal anymore (eg:Fulldrive, OCD, Klon).
Underhyped:
•Having fun while playing what you own
•Getting something because it sounds good to YOU and YOUR setup
•Realizing that there are a TON of variables to arriving at your your current tone/sound-don't get bummed if you see that one of the pedals you own isn't "cool" to someone else. All pedals have knobs-maybe that person never put those same knobs in the same place as you.

datguytim
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
overhyped: Two-Rock amps, boutique gear in general.

underhyped: becoming a better guitarist in general.

Craftmatic
03-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Overhyped:
•You WILL find your tone if you spend a lot on a piece of gear. Good stuff usually costs more but it doesn't mean it's good for you. (I found that out when I purchased a Super Reverb...)
•A pedal that A LOT of people have/want isn't a good/worthy pedal anymore (eg:Fulldrive, OCD, Klon).
Underhyped:
•Having fun while playing what you own
•Getting something because it sounds good to YOU and YOUR setup
•Realizing that there are a TON of variables to arriving at your your current tone/sound-don't get bummed if you see that one of the pedals you own isn't "cool" to someone else. All pedals have knobs-maybe that person never put those same knobs in the same place as you.

Very valuable point of view.

marvelboy_04
03-02-2010, 12:42 AM
deserves hype-mxr classic 108 fuzz. outstanding!
overhyped-modfactor. i just couldnt get into it. way too tweakable and too in your face sounding

thisday1
03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Thought I'd weigh in my own opinions:
Didn't like, despite the hype: Hotcake, Lots of Keeley stuff, Deja vibe

Lived up to the hype: Deluxe memory man, lm308 Rat, AM sunface

Wish I heard more about: Any throbak pedal, Roger Mayer voodoo vibes, Moog ring mod

71Model
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Lives up to Hype and really not Hyped enough: Fargen Blackbird
why not enough? Everyone raves about how clean the amp is, but it's not about the clean, SS amps are clean too, they just have a soft feel, very soothing to the ear, with a balance of all highs/lows. The highs are not cringing and lows are not flubbing, and makes you wanna keep playing.
Oh, why not enough hype? Have you ever cranked one up to 7 or 8 with some HB's, a real treat! Very good overdrive!

Overhyped: Big Solos, they're ok, but I like the way Angus Young put it, "The song is not about the solo, so I accent the song throughout" (Stiff Upper Lip interview) We all want to do solos, but it's like giving medicine to your dog, mash in his food and give em a little at a time(John Mayer)

gururyan
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/ryansdesigns/.Pictures/Gear/Effects/Timmy.jpg

This is head and shoulders above the rest for me as far as overhyped goes. I gave it a good few months, thought maybe there was something wrong with ME considering all the hype and love it gets. Nope, I checked out ok so away it went and I've never looked back, regretted it, or thought of what might have been.

Unadan
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
^ I love my Timmy to boost an already overdriven signal from my Marshall Lead Mk2. Doesn't sound that great thru my Fender amp though.

PaulC
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
This is head and shoulders above the rest for me as far as overhyped goes. I gave it a good few months, thought maybe there was something wrong with ME considering all the hype and love it gets. Nope, I checked out ok so away it went and I've never looked back, regretted it, or thought of what might have been.

Thanks for trying it out... For the record the "hype" isn't coming from me. I've never played that game. That's why I give everybody a full weeks trial with a full refund, and I don't jack up the price when the used market is almost double what they are new. It's just a dirt pedal, and if you're not looking for it's style of dirt you wont like it no matter how others feels about it.

The Big picture was nice though...

PaulC
tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

phoenix 7
03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
+1 on the Timmy. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

magnus02
03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
its hard for the klons and tims/timmies to live up to the hype that surrounds them here but you certainly cant blame paulc for that. he builds a great fairly priced pedal and doesnt even have a website claiming how amazing it is. just builds and sells by word of mouth. if youre expecting it to make you shit gold records you'll never be satisfied. if youre looking for a good clean boost/OD you have a good chance of being pleased.

then again its mostly just a booster so you have to take into consideration what it was meant to do

Arf
03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for trying it out... For the record the "hype" isn't coming from me. I've never played that game. That's why I give everybody a full weeks trial with a full refund, and I don't jack up the price when the used market is almost double what they are new. It's just a dirt pedal, and if you're not looking for it's style of dirt you wont like it no matter how others feels about it.

The Big picture was nice though...

PaulC
tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

Are you Paul Chandler of the Bay Area?

molokaio
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
he's Paul cochrane, maker of the tim and timmy pedals! XD

Rod
03-18-2010, 03:23 PM
he's Paul cochrane, maker of the tim and timmy pedals! XD

The one and only!!! Great pedals!!! Tim and Timmy

jeremyscotthill
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Stompin' on a large DMM is always a pleasurable experience, and although it was $300 (the last of the big boxes at Buckdancer's Choice in Portland, ME), for me it lives up to the hype.

Just got a new Nobles ODR-1, and for $60 it definitely lives up to its modest hype.

dlc1953
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Over hyped I would go with OCD this is my second one and sometimes I enjoy it and other time's especially at lower volumes, I go ''Let's sell it again. Congrat's to Paul C for his attitude toward his product,refreshing, I am on the waiting list so I'll check back in July and let you know!

BReyes
03-18-2010, 07:06 PM
over-hyped:

digital amp modelling
fender amps, especially hot rod series, blues jr, supersonic
gfs pickups
fulltone fulldrive II

lives up to or exceeds hype:

boss dd20
radial tonebone products
traynor ycv series amps
tech 21 trademark 60
barber tone press
elixir "anti-rust" series strings (all six strings are coated)
danelectro cool cat chorus
fender aerodyne telecaster
g&l guitars

-dh
YOU sir have a good head on your shoulders,.

BReyes
03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Overhyped:hype

Underhyped: buying what you like and not fallling for the hype.

Artur_I_Tis
03-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Practically everything is over hyped one way or another.

BradB41
03-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Overhyped= stuff we don't like
Live up to hype= stuff we do like

Overhyped=subjective opinions
Underhyped= liking what our ears tell us sounds good regardless of what anyone else says

analogmike
03-18-2010, 08:00 PM
overhyped : fingers. Mine have sucky tone. I need all the help I can get. Luckily, I have a lot :)

natmiss
06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Just can't bond with the Klon. Does that make me a bad person?

Rod
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Just can't bond with the Klon. Does that make me a bad person?

terrible person....I didn't like the Klon either

tjmicsak
06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
There is no such thing as overhype, there is only you, your resources, and your opinions, none of which can be aquired here.
95% of what is discussed here is personal preference unless you are willing to blindly take others word for it.

J D Miley
06-17-2010, 06:18 AM
I think this thread needs to be renamed or a new thread started.
" Gear you liked the best & gear that dispointed the most . . . and why."
Cuz we all have our preferences.

germs
06-17-2010, 09:28 AM
overhyped - PRS amps, Fender CS relics, NOS tubes

measures up - Agile AL3000 series, Mesa TransAtlantic, Way Huge pedals

yeah, i guess that sort of reflects my social status - but i have played around with everything i'm commenting on. all in all, the biggest disappointment was the PRS amps...geez. i really feel sorry for anyone who buys one of those.

MRCHILL4
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
overhyped = tc electronic stereo chorus, and martin imo

lived up to hype = boiling point, gibson hummingbird

guild d55 is a better acoustic guitar to me. i owned plenty of martins, i could have saved a lot of money.