PDA

View Full Version : What gear is overhyped in your opinion? What lives up to its hype?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

phoenix 7
07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Everything is fair game -- pedals, guitars, amps, etc. What got raves but disappointed you? What lived up to the raves?

IMO:

Overhyped - HoneyBee - tones fell a bit short for me, footswitch broke almost immediately, knob cracked off, paint chipped.

Lives up to hype - Les Paul R8 (with new pickups), Klon

nlopez
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I am sure this post is doomed for eventual removal.:munch

the_Chris
07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Overhyped:
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, Fargen VOS

Lives up to the Hype:
Lovekraft Mojo Drive, Clay Jones OD, Analogman King of Tone V4

Lolaviola
07-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Over:
Boss DD-3

Worth it:
Mu-tron III

TheWarmth
07-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I find that Toneczar, BJF, Diamond and Klon all live up to the hype they receive, although maybe Diamond doesn't receive as much hype as the others. I've been extremely satisfied with these products, despite the high price-tags.

One pedal that particularly disappointed me was the ProphecySound Infinitphase. I guess that one doesn't get a lot of hype around here, but the name comes up every now and then.

PinkSchism
07-22-2007, 01:36 PM
MegaHype - anything Lovepedal, cool names with the same basic circuit.

Worth the buks - Cornish P-2

Curt
07-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Every piece of gear that I have for sale "lives up to the hype".
After it's been sold..well that's a different story.

ed84246
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Overhyped - Zvex pedals, Lovepedal Purple Plexi, Trussart Guitars, Alot of the Fulltone stuff, the Genz Benz Black Pearl (boy am I gonna hear about this!), Durham Sex Drive, Keeley Pedals.

Lives up to it - Menatone Pedals, Xotic Pedals, BJF Honeybee, Matchless amps, Zendrive, Analogman pedals, Fuchs amps, PRS guitars.

markom89
07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Over: Anything Fulltone, except the TTE... IMO.

Woth it: BJF, Toneczar, Landgraff, Analog.Man, Skreddy, and a few others...

The Pup
07-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Over: Klon

...yes, I own one (purchased used a long time before the price skyrocketed); but I believe the cost is largely supply/demand driven (ignoring hype arguments altogether) and not wholly based on the sum of its epoxy covered parts. Regarding product differentiation, I haven't found another "boost" pedal that integrates with an amp so well...but there are many pedals which do great things that a Klon is not designed to accomplish either.

Under: Boss OD-3

...no, it doesn't clean-up well, but it sure does what it does so very well.

JazzHessian
07-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Over: PRS Guitars, most Fulltone stuff I've tried, Boss delay pedals

Worth it: Victoria Amps, Keeley's Rat mod

macmax77
07-22-2007, 02:04 PM
shut me mouth shut me mouth shut me mouth bite tongue hard!

Moe45673
07-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Overhyped: Xotic RC Booster

Lives up to the Hype: Peterson Strobostomp

SoulToStrings
07-22-2007, 02:19 PM
overhype ; ANYthing by Menatone
Lives up to ; ANYthing by Homebrew Electronics

Glass Onion
07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
lives up to: RC Booster , Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Over Hype: Strobo Stomp

No offense to the 15th poster that just goes to show that people find different outcomes in most all things.

gitpicker
07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I will mitigate my comments by removing the phrase "Over-Hyped" with "Didn't work as well for me as it seems to for others" and the phrase "Lives up to the hype" with "Worked for me as well or better as it worked for others"

Didn't work as well - SubDecay Blackstar - Blackstone OD (I only owned one of the many versions) - Analogman Clone Chorus - Pigtronix EP-1 Phase/Envelope - HellBilly - BBE Sonic Stomp - Fulltone Fat Boost and Wah - MI Audio Crunch Box - Zendrive

Rocked - Most Lovepedals (sure, some are versions - but not as many versions as there are of TS's or Phase 90's, or DynaComps out there - I like every single version of the FAB 50 I have owned - Purple Plexi, COT Red, Balance, FAB 50 Angus) - MXR Micro pedals (Chorus, Flanger) - Budda Bud Wah - Teese Picture Wah - Korg DT-10 Tuner - Catlinbread (or CabaretLinda) Silver Kiss - Keeley modded RAT

Just remember, a guy like FatBack can make any pedal sound good - unfortunately, I can't...:BEER

Moe45673
07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
lives up to: RC Booster , Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe

No offense to the 15th poster that just goes to show that people find different outcomes in most all things.

To each his own. I knew it would irk some people, but these have been my experiences :BEER

Ben C.
07-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Not complete lists, but the ones that made the most impact in both categories:

Over: Eternity, Timmy, LTD, Xotic AC / RC / BB, RMC2, BBOD, SBEQ, PRS Guits

Lived up to: Honey Bee, PGC, Red Witch Moon Phase, Maxon Rotary Phaser, AM Clone Chorus, Strobostomp, Red Snapper, Skreddy's stuff, Tremolessence, Fender Tele

This is not to say the 'overhyped' pedals weren't good. Obviously, they are the ideal pedals for some folks with thier setups. But, you know, you're expecting angels in a box and you get it and you're like... oh. It's just a pedal. A good one, but... hm... how much can I flip this for? ;)

-Ben

Pa'ani
07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Lives up to hype:
Landgraff, Xacttone, KR Mega-Vibe, Klon, Analogman, Keeley
Tyler Guitars, Suhr Guitars and Amps.
Kevin Ryan Guitars, Breedlove, Goodall

Overhyped:
Gibson Guitars, Fender Guitars especially Vintage/Relic stuff.

sonvolt
07-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Overhyped:

Fulltone, Tube screamer mods, Medusa Deluxe Moon Phaser, Analogman DS-1.

Live up to the Hype:

Hoochie Mama OD, Menatone, Addrock, Sweet Sound.

Maven
07-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Overhyped: Two Rock amps
Lives up to hype: Bruno amps

TB1000
07-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Great pedals which unfortunately didn't work for my setup or personal tastes: Lovepedal Eternity, Menatone "Thin Guy" Blue Collar, Landgraff MO-D, D*A*M Ram Head, Proanalog Dual Drive, H.B.E. Big D, Barber DD, Bjf PPF.

Great pedals which happily did work with my setup: Lovepedal COT50, most Menatones, Hoochee Mama, D*A*M 1966, Proanalog Mk II and Super Scary Face, Barber Small Fry, Bjf CAF.

Rex Nomad
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Overhyped: Bad Monkey

Lives up to it: Barber Direct Drive

SoulToStrings
07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Would it be wrong if I paid a grand for a bad monkey on ebay, and then turned around and bought a kar krash menatone for a grand?

i swear, the bad monkey sounds better, but the KarKrash is THE tone. just kidding

ed84246
07-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Need to add Bad Monkey (almost all compliments seem to contain the phrase "for the money"...) and Tim or Timmy (sounds exactly like your amp, but with more gain - how about I just turn the gain up on my amp then?)

JRC4558Dude
07-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Overhyped? How about Gibson VOS and Historic series! These are nice instruments to be sure, but obsenely overpriced IMHO.

And what's up with Way Huge pedals?! I'm not saying they sound bad but the prices they go for on ebay is just plain silly.

On the other hand, I really like Fulltone stuff. Good quality and always sound great. My FD2 and Soulbender are terrific.

tonewave
07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
overhyped-prefer to call it not what I was expecting or just a little underwhelmed or it just ain't me-
proanalog dual drive, bjf bbod, klon as od, rc booster, ocd v1,

lives up to the hype
barber launch pad, klon as clean boost, ocd v3, antelope lovelight and mdeq
diamond ml, zvex sho and loopjunkie, bjf hbod, analogman bi comp, cusack taw, suhr tele, boss dm2
and way huge swollen pickle (lots of $ but an amazing sound)

dhodgeh
07-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Overhyped: Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive. Every time I visited Blues Angel Music (BAM), they tried to sell me one. I'ld sit there and play it a while, but it just never did anything for me.

Lives up to the hype: Landgraff Mo'D. This thing turned my head. First time I played one of these at BAM, I had to have it. Of course, at the time I paid $260 for it and it was the most I had ever paid for a pedal. Still got it (serial number 2), and it's still a work horse.

D

rastaman
07-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Interesting thread.:munch

hawaii5_o
07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Overhyped: Visual Sound pedals, anything PRS, new AC30's, Mesa Rectos, JCM 2000 TSL

Worth it: Barber, Home Brew, Top Hat, Martin Clapton Sig, Zion guitars, Heritage guitars, Teese wah

slopeshoulder
07-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Lives up: Collings guitars, Bruno amps, Menatone pedals, Zendrive, Gain stage red, AM delay,

Fails to live up:Pretty much everything else (Ouch! Yikes! Someone's in a bad mood!)

Guinness Lad
07-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Overhyped: Easily the Zendrive (no way worth more then $150), Klon and Bad Monkey come to mind, any Way Huge pedal I've owned or played, BTW, I owned a Green Rhino, Red Llama and Aqua Puss and played a Piercing Moose and the Saffron Squeeze, definitely not worth the money.

Underhyped: Pharoah "Class A" Boost (no hype at all), Guytron FV100, G&L and Hamer guitars. Mosferatu, same basic thing as the Zendrive for way less.

daphil_1
07-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Most Overhyped: Zendrive

Most "Lived up": Hotcake bluesberry

Dave
07-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Overhyped: Snake Oil strings, Xotic BB, ZVex BoR, PRS.

Lives up to the hype: Suhr Badger, Avatar & Port City cabinets, Xotic RC, ZVex FF, Lovepedal Karl, Celestion Blue and Heritage G12-65.

XKnight
07-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Worth it: Tonefactor, Subdecay, Hamer, Washburn USA Custom, G&L

Overhyped: Gibson, Fender, Elixir Strings

amphead777
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Overhyped: Klon
Worth it : Sweet Sound Pro Bender

usc96
07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Overhyped: using 18v on your pedals (at least so far). :p

Not necessarily overhyped, but didn't work for me: wah probe (cool pedal, but I couldn't get the whole balancing on one foot thing :cool:).

Made the grade: Lovepedal COT50; Boss TU-2; Analogman Sunlion; Analogman Chorus; Boss BF-3 Flanger; Gibson Les Paul; Martin Guitars; DRRI; snake oil electric strings; D'Addario Accoustic strings; George Ls; Trailer Trash Pedalboards; Pedal Power2; The Gear Page.

:BEER

soldano16
07-22-2007, 07:30 PM

That's one I can't understand. Unless you have a great ear and can tune your guitar off of one note, no tuner puts you as in tune as a Peterson. I always said I would give up one of my Les Pauls rather than be without my Peterson . I could never get properly in tune before I got it.

dave s
07-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Funny you mentioned "Klon" as living up to your hype. I must be stupid, because I've heard two Klons and noodled about with one and just don't get them at all.

Grosh guitars live up to the hype but don't get nearly the props deserved.

Matchless amps (most I've tried and heard) live up to the hype for sure--if that's what you like.

Too much gear out there for one particular piece to be good for everybody is my real take.

dave

E Baxter Put
07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Over hyped: anything that costs over $400 for a single overdrive pedal.

Lives up to hype: Analogman delay

Under hyped: All of the austone pedals.

DRGUN
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
over hyped -

boss rv3 - HATED the reverbs, delays were ok, but they didnt pitch shift when you moved the time knob.

digitech bad monkey - 50% of the folks at HC swear by this pedal, sounded like ass through my setup (fender guitar ->pedals>jc120)

DIGIDELAY/DIGIVERB - wasnt too impressed by these, flipped em both within weeks of aquiring them

UNDER HYPED -

line 6 echo park - sounds just as good as the DL4, MUCH more reliable. i traded this plus other sruff for a dl4. i like presets. but i had it from the week it came out a few years back to about 2 months ago.

ROLAND JC-120 - this is the best effects junkie amp ever! it is SOOO loud, sooo clean and has a ridiculously versatile eq section. just dont try to use the amps distortion...;)

boss ps5 - ive had a wh1, wh4 and an xp100, as well as a boss ps2 and ps3. with an expression pedal, NOTHING touches this thing for pitch shifting. it actually tracks 3-4 string chords!!! and the bypass is a dream compared to the digitech stuff. no tone suck when you put it after a gain pedal!!! mine still stays behind gain though...

theBruce
07-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Overhyped:

Fulltone OCD
Celestion V30s
Mesa Mark IV
Marshall 1987x RI

Deserves the hype and/or worth the bucks

Orange Rockerverb 50
Radial Switchbone
Mesa Black Shadow C90s
Elixir strings

DRGUN
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
:p

Not necessarily overhyped, but didn't work for me: wah probe (cool pedal, but I couldn't get the whole balancing on one foot thing :cool:).

dude!!!

im getting rid of mine for the same reason!!! the thing sound great, but my balance isnt all it should be...

AshlandBump
07-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Overhyped (at least initially, not sure if it still is): OCD

Lived up to it: Toneczar PowerGlide -- I went through a number of tremolo pedals while I was waiting for the PG. When I finally got it, it blew away every trem pedal I had tried (admittedly, not all of them). Perhaps it's an overused term but the PG is the most "amp-like" tremolo pedal I've used, as in it sounds like the tremolo effect is built-in and not coming from an external box. Plus, the variations on tremolo that are available are all well done.

Under-hyped: Burriss Boostier.

phoenix 7
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Funny you mentioned "Klon" as living up to your hype. I must be stupid, because I've heard two Klons and noodled about with one and just don't get them at all.

To me, the Klon is a great clean boost: no loss of detail + some nice fat and presence. I like it a lot better than my RC Boost, and the RC is a really nice pedal. I don't like the Klon much as an OD - never use it that way.

Yeah - Groshes totally live up to their hype. In fact, I'd say they're underrated.

daphil_1
07-22-2007, 09:08 PM
re amps

Overhyped: A boutique hand-built AC30 repro (just get the real thing)

Lived up to hype: Orange ad30htc, Marshall JTM45 Reissue

Moe45673
07-22-2007, 09:25 PM
boss ps5 - ive had a wh1, wh4 and an xp100, as well as a boss ps2 and ps3. with an expression pedal, NOTHING touches this thing for pitch shifting. it actually tracks 3-4 string chords!!! and the bypass is a dream compared to the digitech stuff. no tone suck when you put it after a gain pedal!!! mine still stays behind gain though...

I like you. This thing kills the WH-4, that's for sure. I once showed it to a guy that had vintage analog synths out the wazoo (and a wh-1) and after 5 minutes he was all "I gotta get me one of those doodads"

piby
07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
overhyped - sorry, every hyped up thing I bought I've actually liked to some extent...
deserves more hype - strobostomp, gaspedal carb, blackbox quicksilver, bjf dyna red

DRGUN
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I like you. This thing kills the WH-4, that's for sure. I once showed it to a guy that had vintage analog synths out the wazoo (and a wh-1) and after 5 minutes he was all "I gotta get me one of those doodads"

yeah if everyone with a wh1/4 tried one, im sure most would switch. its great!

GAT
07-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Hmmmm......

Overhyped:

Divided By 13 LDW 17
Two Rock amps
Lovepedal COT
Uncle Spot reverb
TS9 mods
Tone Tubby alnico
Aqua Puss
Landgraff
Clay Jones OD
Bruno UG30

Lives Up To The Hype:

Collings I35
Mad Professor
Germino
Celestion Heritage G12M
Lentz teles
Klon
Lollar
Pre '72 Marshalls
Original Baker guitars
Bogner 4x12 cabs
Hot Cake Bluesberry
Kendrick amps

rwe333
07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Emperor Penguins - I have a real love/hate thing going on...

SuperReverb2
07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Overhyped: (just didn't work for me)

Zendrive, Lovepedal Eternity, Stampede SOV-1, Xotic pedals, OCD V.1, 10th Anniversary Mosfet Edition Fulldrive 2, Clark/Barber Gainster, Barber Direct Drive (original version), Klon, Banzai Cold Fusion, Banzai Fireball III, Cream Tone, Gibson Standard LP's, Fender Custom Shop Relic Strats, PRS Guitars, Gibson ES-335 Dot, Matchless Chieftain 2 x 12, Holland Gibb Droll 4 x 10, Fender Supersonic, Fender CyberTwin, Two Rock Opal, Two Rock Custom, Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2 x 12, (original version), Peavey Penta.

Live up to: (worked for me)

CJOD, Menatone Howie (V-3), Rumble Mod, Barber Burn Unit, Tim, new (Dunlop) Jimi Hendrix wah, Budda Wah, Teese Picture Wah, my original TS-808, Fender 57 Tweed Twin, Scholz speakers, Heritage H-150CM with Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups, Eric Johnson Strat, Gibson 59 VOS LP, Heritage 535 Classic with Seth Lovers, Fuchs mod, EVM12L 200 watt reissue, Celestion Heritage G12-65 speakers, Gibson Custom Shop Mr ES-335 Larry Carlton, Fane AXA (Axiom) Alnico 100, Weber Alnico California 12's, Orange Rockerverb 50 (head or combo), Orange 2 x 12 with V-30's, Dr Z Maz Jr with reverb, Dr Z Best 2 x 12, Soldano SLO 100, Dr Z Prescription ES, Diaz CD-30 Club Classic 2 x 10, Electroplex Rocket 4 x 10, TAD 6L6's, smooth plate Telefunken 12AX7's, RCA 6L6 Blackplates, Klotz La Grange speaker and guitar cables, DR Tite Fit 10 - 46 guitar strings, Fender Princeton Recording Amp with a Weber Alnico 10A125 and NOS, Marshall JVM, Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special, Vox AD120VT, Peterson Strobe Tuner (original version), Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue, Fender Super Reverb Reissue.

:)

gregory49
07-22-2007, 10:50 PM
overhyped - OCD .. buzzy sounding pedal. I own one and like it , use it very often but i can't afford a replacement right now. Can't afford to try out the other stuff that may possibly be overhyped as well.

worth it - R7 , super reverbs , fulldrive II

Realfi
07-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Hmmm...

I dunno how I feel about this thread.

Perhaps a more informative thread would be "what gear doesn't live up to the promises made in official advertising?".

IMO it's unfair to expect a piece of equipment to be something when it's not the manufacturer/builder that's claiming that it is!

woude
07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
overhyped: boss dd-20, line6 dl-4, catalinbread scod, keeley compressor, Teese RMC3, visual sound pedals, ehx tubezipper, ehx wiggler, ehx hot tubes, most orange amps, brunetti amps & riviera amps.

deserves the hype: fulltone fulldrive, fulltone 69, line6 echopark, area51, celestion heritage greenbacks, kinman pickups, Klon centaur, sperzel locking tuners, moog phaser, diamond compressor, boss ce-1, boss ce-2, RS chorus, keeley bd-2, keeley ds-1, fender cs54 pickups, HWA pedals, ceriatone kits, keeley fuzzhead, arion chorus, koch studiotone, diamond memory lane, matchless amps, vox ac30tbx, the cheap gretch guitars, MIJ fenders, pedaltrain pedalboards, pigtronix amps

underhyped: ibanez de-7, HBE big D, diamond J-Drives

Ian Anderson
07-23-2007, 02:41 AM
The new things that have really blown my mind over the last few years have been the Zendrive, Gjika Amps 66, 77, 84 and his Mini amp, as well as his germanium fuzz. Lovetone pedals and <cough spam> the new guitars from Lentz over the last few years. Particularly the new Coryden. Scott's really blown my mind with this one!

jezzzz2003
07-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Over hyped Ibanez TS-9, Bad Monkey,

Under hyped *MI Audio Crunch Box

*Xotic FX

*DD-3

Medication
07-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Overhyped: Boss DM-2
Worth It: Boss DM-2

Tuberoast
07-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Over: Eternity, Tonebone Classic, Bottle Rocket (a mudbath),

Lived up: Klon (best clean boost), Barber Direct Drive, Bad Cat Extreme Tone, MXR Dyna Comp, Boosta Grande, Mullard 12ax7 NOS

dr.tdw
07-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Overhyped: Eternity & Centaur

Lived up: Timmy, DD-20, Huckleberry

paulmapp8306
07-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Particularly Overhyped (or rather living off long gone reputation): Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Boss

Lives up to hype - UMM Nothing Really!! anything with hype is eventually going to disappont as our expectations are raised so much. If the same kit was'nt hyped we'd take it for what it was.

Just MHO. :BEER

AshlandBump
07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
re amps

Overhyped: A boutique hand-built AC30 repro (just get the real thing)

Just curious, what is the "real thing?" An AC-30CC? or a '60s-era JMI?

I don't know whether it's boutique or not, but the JMJ-30 definitely lives up to the hype.

tiller
07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Wait a second... do you mean to say that things get hyped up on TGP?!

:D

david henman
07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
over-hyped:

digital amp modelling
fender amps, especially hot rod series, blues jr, supersonic
gfs pickups
fulltone fulldrive II

lives up to or exceeds hype:

boss dd20
radial tonebone products
traynor ycv series amps
tech 21 trademark 60
barber tone press
elixir "anti-rust" series strings (all six strings are coated)
danelectro cool cat chorus
fender aerodyne telecaster
g&l guitars

-dh

phoenix 7
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Hmmm...

Perhaps a more informative thread would be "what gear doesn't live up to the promises made in official advertising?".

IMO it's unfair to expect a piece of equipment to be something when it's not the manufacturer/builder that's claiming that it is!

OK - maybe the origin of "hype" needs to be clarified (in case it wasn't already clear). This thread isn't about manufacturers' advertising claims. Most people, I think, are very skeptical in general of ads by manufacturers. I don't think it would be really useful to have a thread about manufacturers who advertise that "this is the best overdrive ever" because few people believe ads like that in the first place. Moreover, there are a lot of manufacturers who are careful not to cross the line between positive, informative advertising and excessive "hype." This thread is about *internet* reviews and the question of what pieces of gear don't stand up over time to the initial excitement that they generate on forums like this one and others. For example, there were a lot of raves about the OCD all over the net when it first came out and OCD's were at that time going for ridiculous prices on Ebay - based on internet hype. And then before you knew it almost everyone (including me) was complaining about and modding their OCD's because in fact they lacked a certain midrange and sounded thin. (In truth, I'm probably guilty myself of overpraising a piece of gear before getting a more balanced, critical perspective on it over time.) Eventually, those more balanced, critical perspectives make their way on to forums like this -- which is one of the great things about this place. I just thought it might be interesting to collect views about gear that's overhyped and gear that isn't on one thread.

waveman
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Overhyped: SCOD, Crunchbox, Tube Zone, Clark Gainster, Bad Monkey, BOSS RV-3

Lived up to hype: Blue Boy Deluxe, OCD, EHX DMM, Huckleberry, Tonebone Hot British

under appreciated: Vodka Modded SD-1

rastaman
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
:AOK:AOK

You could put together one hell of a rig from all the stuff listed as overhyped.

lxm
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

lmao

GearOnTheBrain
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Hmm......lets see.......

For amps:

Overhyped:

-Divided By Thirteen
-Fuchs
-Dr Z. (though in all fairness, great for the money)
-65Amps London model

Lived up to the hype:

-Bruno Amps
-Bad Cat
-Matchless
-Two-Rock
-65Amps Marquee (though i dont think it got that much hype)

For pedals:

Worth the hype:

-Menatone
-ZVex
-Keeley
-Moog

As for pedals that are overhyped, there are only a few that come to mind, but there is still a LOT i need to try.

Luke

Balance
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Two that live up to the hype for me: my Chapin Stratahoula and my Turner Model 1.

Sofus
07-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Overly hyped: Snake Oil Strings
Hyped: Anything Fulltone .. generic ...

Worth it: BJF pedals

radcliff
07-23-2007, 07:39 PM
From my personal experience:

Worth the hype:
Lovepedal, Xotic

Not worth the hype:
Keeley, Menatone

RCstudios
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
For my personal ears.

Live up to the hype:
bjf pine green, bjf honey bee, Diamond memory lane, Lovepedal eternity, 1974x Marshall

Not up to hype:
Empress tremolo, TS9 style moded pedals, Keeley compressor

Tramp
07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
My $.02

Lived up: Analogman pedals (esp. KOT v4), RC Booster, Suhr and Grosh guitars, cables from Lavaman

Don't live up: Gibson Historics, Fender CS, Snake Oils, FullDrive

Lived up and doesn't live up: Zendrive. (Whenever I begin to think I might sell mine, I trot it out with the band and am amazed all over again how well it sits in the mix. Call it 'lived up' then.)

Blueser
07-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Overhype:

Fargen Amps
Xotic Pedals

Lives up to the hype:

TIM pedal (not the TIMMY though)
Lovekraft Mojodrive
Komet amps
Bruno amps

mprvise
07-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Man, I think I've seen most of my favorites in both sides now!

Over hyped:
Some Lovepedals
Fulltone Fulldrive (it's good, but not THAT good)

Lives up ot the Hype:
Most Lovepedals
Divided by 13
Bruno
Xotic RC
Carb
Pure 64
Tyler

Doesn't get enough hype:
Frantone

YMMV and all that.

Wooley
07-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Not complete lists, but the ones that made the most impact in both categories:

Over: Eternity, Timmy, LTD, Xotic AC / RC / BB, RMC2...

-Ben

Hey, not disagreeing with you, but I have the RMC2, and the one thing about it is that of all the Teese Wahs over the years, this is the one NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT, which is why it struch me as odd that it made your over-hyped list. I mean I've asked for advice on mine a few times, and almost no one had ever even tried one. If you said the RMC3, Pic, Wizard, or WOF, I wouldn't have batted an eye, but I didn't know there was any hype at all for the RMC1 or 2.

Oh yeah, my lived up to the hype would be:
Analogman Sunface NKT-275, Delay, Beano Boost, and Juicer, Foxrox CC2, ZIM, and Octron, ADA Flanger, Catalinbread Silver Kiss, SCP, and especially Sagrado Poblano Picoso, Tonefactor pedals in general (so sad to see them go), Mutron Phasor II, Emma DiscomBOBulator, Keeley Compressor, Bad Monkey, ah that oughta do it.
Overhyped would be: Crowther Hot Cake, Lovepedal COT50, Barber LTD, vintage Small Stone.

todaystomorrow
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
overhyped: Fulldrive... Clyde... Elixirs... Monster cables... Mesa

lived up to the hype: Menatone... Toneczar products... Tim... Tom Andersons

undrhyped: Throbak OD Boost... Parachute Wah... Barber Direct Drive... Top Hat amps...

Veritas
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Overhyped: Crunch Box, Keeley DS-1, BD-2, Recent standard production Les Pauls (what's going on in the world of Gibson these days?) , Fender - read, gibson les paul...

Underhyped (but hyped in their own ways anyway...) Heritage Colonial...wow. Pro Analog Dual Drive--at stage volumes, this thing is unbelievable, bedroom volumes, I can admit, very average. Lollar, Nash, '80's Rat, Keeley ad9, Kaden Fluttertone.

sysexguy
07-24-2007, 04:44 AM
overhyped: hours of gp surfing

underhyped: practice man, practice!!!!!!

(sorry, no gear, just sending a message to myself:AOK)

Andy

jezzzz2003
07-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Overhyped: Crunch Box, Keeley DS-1, BD-2, Recent standard production Les Pauls (what's going on in the world of Gibson these days?) , Fender - read, gibson les paul...

Underhyped (but hyped in their own ways anyway...) Heritage Colonial...wow. Pro Analog Dual Drive--at stage volumes, this thing is unbelievable, bedroom volumes, I can admit, very average. Lollar, Nash, '80's Rat, Keeley ad9, Kaden Fluttertone.

Please forgive me for ram raiding your list of likes and failures but.. Fender in general is overhyped? Gibson is overhyped? Crunch Box..

I just dont understand? they've been the 2 biggest [and most liked] companies around since day one and are making the best gear EVER if you ask me, they still make it like they used to also, if youre into that kinda thing.

Mondoslug
07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
It's all over hyped.

Veritas
07-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Please forgive me for ram raiding your list of likes and failures but.. Fender in general is overhyped? Gibson is overhyped? Crunch Box..

I just dont understand? they've been the 2 biggest [and most liked] companies around since day one and are making the best gear EVER if you ask me, they still make it like they used to also, if youre into that kinda thing.

Haha...I know, I know...I'm just saying that the most recent standard issue stuff has really not been very good. I have a couple fender guitars and love them...don't get me wrong. It just seems that these days you have to really pick through the new stuff to find the good ones. More than years past, that's all.
The crunch box...I like it, but I feel it's a bit overrated.

Lolaviola
07-24-2007, 08:05 AM
What is overly hyped?: guitar>cable>amp

What lives up to the hype?: "...The tone is in your fingers!"

GDking
07-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Hype: Zendrive, Electro Harmonix, Tone Tubby Alnicos, most BOSS pedals. V30 Celestions.

Worth it: Skreddy Top Fuel, TIM/Timmy, Klon, AD999, Tone Tubby Ceramics.

Ud Reks
07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Not for me: MDEQ, Bad Monkey, Carr Mercury, Cornford Carrera, Boss DD20, Skreddy Mayo (good, but not quiet enough)

Love it: Greer Boost, Keeley NovaWah, TRex Replica, Fuchs amps, Carr Hammerhead

Tramp
07-24-2007, 08:51 AM

(sorry, no gear, just sending a message to myself:AOK)

Andy

Amen to that!

dspblues
07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't think the Pure 64 gets enough attention. It's an amazing amp.

Barnaby, Hardly
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure it's exactly worth the price it commands, but I do use my Boss VB-2 an awful lot.

And another +1 over here for the Klon.

sgnl2nz
07-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Uh-unh: Line 6 DL4, Moogerfooger, Boss pedals, new Fender Deluxes/Devilles, Snake Oil Strings.

Uh-huh: Barber Tone Press, Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive, DOD 585 analog delay, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Shades
07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Overhyped- Apples

Underhyped- Oranges

:D

Don't get me wrong, There are things that I don't think are really all that great, BUT I find quite a bit more that's good for sounds or styles that have nothing to do with me, don't really work well with the rest of my rig, the way I play or things that interest me. A lot of times that tells more about me than the gear. Weird thing is I can't always judge what gear will always work upfront. for instance, I am, in general, not a guy that goes for "Dumble" tone, great for others , just not my sound. That said I'm playing a Two Rock Jet, tubed, biased and speakered (Saratov KT66s,low gain 12ax7s and a 12at7 into vintage ceramic Jensens) to get it farther away from that "D" aspect of the tone.....I love it. I also love the New Howie Pedal (using the clean side with lower gain and dialing the eq basically as neutral as possible) in the end it sounds NOTHING like Larry or Robben's tone....but I love it. I do have folks that look at the rig and think I'm after the robben thing only to wonder why it sounds more like Magic Sam. Works for me, the best amp I've used...so for me it lives up to the hype, except I'm not using it for the tone it's "hyped" for.

some other things that I think live up (at least did for me) to good things that I've heard (i.e things that work/worked for me)
Dr. Z Z28, Maz 38, Lovepedal Eternity, BJF Honey Bee, Sea Blue EQ, Gjika Mini-amp, Menatone 6+ knob (depending on model) KOB, KK, DB, and my 4 knob PT, Chandler Digital echo, Lovepedal Cot50, Sweetsound vibe, TV Jones pickups, Fralin P92, Carl Martin Compressor, TC Phaser, V stack Tweedy, T-rex mudhoney, VHT Pitbull, several of the heritage amps, RC Booster, Engl Straight 100 (but only with my es347 really...great combination,) Vox AC50, The stamp drive o matic 2 (but hard to set up and only for the neck pickup, but dialed in it killed for a particular neck tone) The Hotcake, the tube driver, original sansamp (God, I got some great stuff at times,) Sansamp XXL (only after I installed a pad in it, at zero the gain is too high) and the early Rats go back and forth..can't figure out whether I love 'em or hate 'em... get something going , think "this sounds good" but after a short bit I'm "shut it off"

a few things that seem to work well for others that don't work for me (which is pretty different than saying unworthy of the hype)
TC Chorus, every Mesa Boogie amp that I've ever tried (My buddy Billy Johnson sounds like god through them BTW), Roland JC120, BJF Baby Blue OD, Rickenbacker guitars, coated strings, Dean Markley Blue steels, Most music man amps, Tubescreamers and the many variants,Tim Pedal, AC booster, Boss dd20, several fuchsen, Texas specials, Lace sensors, etc, etc......

Jube2550
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Overhyped:

Propaganda from the mouth of those who own whatever you don't.

Underhyped:

Everything you own.

I bought a Kramer, once! I also know folks that bought a PRS once. The list could get long.

JRBain
07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, I love Marshall amps, a lot, but I must confess that despite the fact that they sound great, they are overhyped, to some extent - how many kids do you come across that go on about them/insist that they must have one in order to sound good, (because John Frusciante/Kerry King/Zakk Wylde, etc use them) and then go and buy a cheap MG/AVT?

sonvolt
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Overhyped: Any $300.00 pedal that emulates a Dumble!!!

:horse

digthosetubes
07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Overhyped: Dr. Z.

Underappreciated: Koch Studiotone, Bogner Duende (only made a 100 of them), Fender 2006 Deluxe American Strat with the excellent S1 switch. Ampeg Gemini II amps from 1966.

Deserves the hype: RC Booster, Diamond Memory Lane, Barber Tone Press, the Fender Custom Shop Relic I played they would have let me have for $2300 (new). Worth every penny sound- and feel-wise. But just couldn't justify the outlay.

digthosetubes
07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Whoops. Forgot to add the George L's cables. Big difference between those cables and the six CBI cables I invested in. What are you gonna do?

JZG
07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Overhyped - just about every pedal ever made.
Underhyped - leaving your gear stock

WailinGuy
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Overhyped:
- Snake Oil Strings
- Zendrive
- Tim

Lives up to hype:
- OCD v3
- Eternity (Roadhouse version)
- Tophat Club Royale amps
- Old Fender blackface amps (not reissues), if well-maintained
- Tonepros locking tailpiece studs

Underhyped:
- D'Addario XL series strings
- Lindy Fralin humbuckers
- Electro-harmonix 12AX7EH tubes (Russian-made)
- Eminence Red, White & Blues 12" speaker (Jensen C12N perfected)
- "Ampwedge" - wedge for tilting back amps while keeping them on the floor

M Hossa
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Overhyped:
Opinions other than mine.

Lives up to:
The Mad Professor Amp.

Lolaviola
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Eminence Red, White & Blues 12" speaker (Jensen C12N perfected)

+1!

2nd_degree
07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Overhyped:
Klon, Dr. Z's (owned 4), Monster Cables, Fulltone (good, but still over-hyped)...

Deserved:
Lots of stuff including Victoria, Sewell, Carr, Cage, Bruno,
Biggus Audio (Tim), Analogman, Menatone Red Snapper & Howie, AD999, AD900, Swamp Thang, Lava Cable, Bare Knuckle pups, Fralin pups, Fred Stuart pups, Gypsy Fuzz

Topas
08-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Overhyped:
Bad Monkey, Boss DD-20, Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Worth the hype:
Analogman pedals, Triad, Bad cat amps, old AC30 amps

wakkawakka
08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
But no 16ohm version! arghh! Any other Eminence in the same sonic realm?

My contributions:

overhyped: Boss PS3, Line6 Verbzilla, Digitech Digiverb
underhyped: Boss OD3

+1!

orogeny
08-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Underhyped - leaving your gear stock

Ain't dat da troof.

Post of the week for me. . . nah. . . for the month.

69strat
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
The most overhyped and over priced amp out there is without a doubt the MARSHALL JUBILEE !!!!!!! Just go try one and you'll know what I mean.:NUTS

es125luv
08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Overhyped - the Genz Benz Black Pearl (boy am I gonna hear about this

...I'll let this go. :cool:

over hyped - those Heritages made in the Ol' Kalamazoo factory...

under hyped -those same Heritages with the tuning machines put on straight, regular stop tailpieces and tune-o-matics intstead of those Schaller units... and drilling out the jack hole where an enclosed Schaller jack is and replacing it with a regular jackplate and a 1/4" jack.

...don't forget the Rhythm/Treble Switch plate............

bilbal
08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I will say it this way:

One pedal that I was very disappointed with is the Jetter Gain Stage Red. I thought it would be exactly what I was looking for only to find it was nothing special and nothing that I didn't already have on my pedalboard. Another pedal was the Fulltone 69. It was nothing like I expected it to be. BTW, I am a huge fan of Fulltone products.

A guitar that I was disappointed with was the Suhr Pro Series 2 I bought. Perhaps if I swapped out the pickups, it would have been better. It played very nicely but sounded...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Products that I think live up to the "hype" surrounding them are Dr. Z Maz series amps, Gadow and PRS guitars and Analogman effects.

bilbal

CNP
08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Lived up to hype - four of the six GVCG Teles/Strats I've owned or played.

big mike
08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Lived up to the hype for me....

Klon, Fender CS 54's pickups, Thorn, Scumbacks.

Didn't live up to the hype IMO and all...

Lollar bridge P90
Bad Monkey (Not bad but not ludicrously cool)
Fender HW 59 Bassman
PRS Modern Eagle.

radcliff
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
The Analogman Chorus lives up to all hype.

So does the RC Booster.

So do Suhr strats and teles.

Kingpin
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Overhyped:
Most of the Keeley stuff I've tried
George L's
Snake Oil Strings

Mildly overhyped:
Eternity, RC Booster

Worth it:
Klon, Zendrive, Maxon AD 900

Tremendous values:
Timmy, BYOC pedals

tonecat
08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
overhyped - Zendrive

underhyped- Jetter Gain Stage Red, Visual sound H2o, Ibanez AD-80
Kent Growl Pedal, Mosrite Fuzz-rite, Kinman Pickups
Jensen C10N's , Jensen Neo's, Tungsol 12AX7's
NOS Philips 7581A's.
You know you are a Star when you get paid and laid on the night of the gig !

Jason417
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Overhyped: Bad Monkey

Lives up to it: Barber Direct Drive

+1

Bad Monkey is like the "Two Buck Chuck" of pedals. Give me oxygen!

Tonemeister69
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Under hyped/lives up to it:

Sexdrive
Tone Press
MI Blues Pro

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Lives up to the Hype: Dr. Z amps and Gibson Guitars.

Over Hyped: Top Hat Amps and PRS McCarty Guitars

hamstrat
08-21-2007, 06:32 AM
LIVED UP TO HYPE_

Catlinbread - well thought out and well made

Barber - I only have the Tone Press but it is outstanding

Fulltone- Every Fulltone pedal I've had has been exactly what it was advertised to be. I have some manufacturing background and I really appreciate the Quality that I see in
their stuff. O.K. maybe the OCD was over hyped when it first came out but it's worked great for me.

What I really like in pedals is quality and great sound that sells at a fair price. All 3 of these excel in these areas.

Blackface Super Reverb and Pro Reverb- single coil heaven for the Pro and everything excels with a cranked Super Reverb.

Carr Mercury- stunning- maybe not the best value but...
it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Lord Valve- what a wealth of knowledge and a funny guy. Another source for great bang for your buck.

UNDER HYPED-

Hamer guitars. Well maybe not here, but what a great guitar.

UNDER APPRECIATED-

Well, on this poll PRS guitars. Every one I have ever played has been an excellent guitar. Perfectly intonated and flawless. Never bought one but maybe someday.

Boss TU2 - perfect for me

Good quality setups and guitar techs.

OVER HYPED-

Or maybe better stated, not for me- Zvex - Fuzz Factory and wah probe just didn't work for me.

Some not to be mentioned boutique manufacturers that make o.k. sounding products but have crappy standards for quality control.

Tuberoast
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Lots of "one player's over is another player's under"

StuBrew
08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Overhyped:

Gaspedal Carb - Didnt do anything for me whatsoever, sounded like a really cheap od IMO

Underhyped:

Boss DC-2 - Best Chorus-esque pedal Ive tried, sounds lush in all the settings, you can see why its pretty hard to got hold of

mike@nortoncable.com
08-21-2007, 07:19 AM
I can't add anything to this post sorry. My post would be too long and every overdrive/boost/strat junkie would murder me :)

Cotton
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
UM....

Over-hyped: Gibson Custom Shop (John Lennon Inspired $7,000 Jr)

Surpasses the hype: Gibson Non-Custom Shop Guitars (faded LP)

Also surpassing the gassing: Dr. Z, Lovetone, Tim/Timmy, Klon, CMATMODS, Homebrew Electronics, Fulltone TTE, Super Sound Music, Escondito, CA, Daves Guitar Shop, Lacrosse, WI .....

phoenix 7
08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
One afterthought:

Overhyped: seeking out new gear (I should know from the credit card bills)

Underrated: becoming a better guitar player

wcmiller
08-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Under hyped - Time Machine Boost: I only use the modern boost channel but it delivers chime and sparkle that makes me very happy!:D

atomicmassunit
08-23-2007, 01:40 AM
The Klon lives up to the hype... it's that good.

Tom Holmes pickups live up to the hype.

PRS guitars live up to the hype. In particular, the Modern Eagle, which is the best guitar ever made in my opinion.

Old Fender amps as well...

What didn't live up to the hype was:
Dr Z amps.
Victoria amps (mainly because $2000+ amps shouldn't have $30 Jensen reissues and the orange drop caps don't sound anything like the old astrons)
Gibsons let me down constantly from a setup/quality/tone standpoint, and it saddens me when people (especially kids) pass up superior instruments to get the right name on the headstock. How long before the quality catches up to the reputation or vice versa?

Lucidology
08-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Anything that tempts you to buy it,
even though you don't really need it ...

mike@nortoncable.com
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
ok- my brain just ticked on. Now I have things to add

Amps.
OVERHYPED - MARSHALL TSL, DSL, JVM, VM. Fender Twins.
UNDERHYPED - Bogner,Roccaforte & Real marshall JCM800s.
Fender Devilles.

Pedals.
Overhyped:Line 6 pods, Dunlop wahs,Fulltone 69'
Underhyped: skreddy mayo, area 51 wahs

Guitars;
Overhyped: Fender stratocasters that are $9200 and sound like $500 mexis.
Underhyped: PRS, they're good guitars :)

Match lit and thrown.

and.

Untill I hear a klon with its gain knob fully cranked and its overdriving the amp dirty style like Warren Haynes, I'm considering it an overhyped $500 paper weight, seems every youtube Ive seen with a klon - the users using low output single coils, and they're "Afraid" to add grit to their tone. in other words thier using it as a clean boost.

ThinSkiner
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Overhyped: HBE Pedals, Fulltone OCD

Lives Up To: Top Hat Club Amps, Victoria Amps, Lovepedal COT 50, Skreddy Pedals

Uma Floresta
08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Exactly. Playing > Gear

Overhyped: gear
Underhyped: playing

:o

dspblues
08-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Sorry, but I don't think that's the purpose of this thread. Lets keep it positive and to topic.

:AOK

CocoTone
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Les Pauls and Klons.

CT.

odgeuk
08-25-2007, 04:07 AM
One afterthought:

Overhyped: seeking out new gear (I should know from the credit card bills)

Underrated: becoming a better guitar player

Oh man so I hear you on that one. You must be me!

Tonefish
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Isn't that the truth!!

Tonefish
09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Overhyped:

Propaganda from the mouth of those who own whatever you don't.

Underhyped:

Everything you own.

I expect the same thing....in many cases.....although it really depends on whether you move gear you don't like, or keep everything you buy.

scottywompas
09-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Personally I think the new stuff from Digitech is way under hyped. They are doing some good stuff.

Any dirt box that costs more than $150 is overhyped in my opinion.

Scott:dude

Eskimo_Joe
09-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Hmmm...

A fair point, along those lines, has any pedal in history been more overhyped than the Fulltone Fat Boost? A supposed Klon killer? Ummm, yeah, nice try.

Eskimo_Joe
09-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Overhyped:

- Fulltone anything, especially the Fat Boost originally (funny how the not so hard to interpret jab towards the Klon dissappeared from the website after everyone figured out the pedal was nothing special)

- Way Huge Red Llama

- Foxrox Hot Silicon

Lives up to the hype: BJF, Supa Quack, Germino, Victoria Reverberato

forgivenman
09-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Over hyped: Epi Modded Valve Jr.'s- It just doesn't sound that good to me, even "for the money." Newer Les Paul Standards, I got 2 in a row that were absolutely awful. What's going on at Gibson these days?

Lives up to the hype: Marshall Studio 15- What an AMAZING amp! If you can find one, get it! TS5 Tube screamers, Moog MuRF, Budda SD 30 version II.

Underhyped: Gibson Nighthawk Standard- these were amazing guitars and I love mine. Capable of a vast array of sounds.

lxm
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Personally I think the new stuff from Digitech is way under hyped. They are doing some good stuff.

Any dirt box that costs more than $150 is overhyped in my opinion.

Scott:dude
+1 on digitech

mcuguitar
09-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Overhyped? Why that would be anything Fulltone. I don't miss my Fulldrive at all.

Underhyped? Goudiefx....BEST pedals for the money, period. I have 2 of his analog delays. Beautiful. And the clean boost I also own is simple and perfect.

Peace, Jon.

Priestunes
09-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Lives up to It: Retro-Sonic Chorus

Dylan61
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Overhyped,

Mission 5E3 Amps,
Gibson Les Paul Standard series,
Fender Relic and, EJ Strat (fretshape is realy not good),
new RAT.
Gibson J45 (price versus building quality it should be $400)
Gibson Vos '59 to expensive.

Lives up to it:

Gibson Les Paul Vos '56'58,
Fender'60 Custom.
Red Snapper.
Duesenberg.
Gibson J45 (sound is good).
Martin guitars.

freeradical
09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
DIDN'T WORK FOR ME:
Blackstone OD, LBM

MEH:
Tube Zone, MD3, Nobel ODR1

WORKS GREAT FOR ME.
ZIM, Strobostomp 2, SF VibroChamp and a Tweed Bassman RI., Keeley BD2 and compressor, Moon Phaser,

NOT ENOUGH HYPE:
SIB Mr. Echo, Addrock Geranium, Ibanez AD99

XKnight
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Lives up to It: Retro-Sonic Chorus

+1. Picked one up recently and it works beautifully. It's like the missing link in my tone quest.

B_of_H
09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
overhyped - everything
underhyped - hands

OccTone
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Overhyped - Uber expensive boutique handwired amps that are copies of other uber expensive handwired amps that are bad copies of Fenders

UnderHyped - Fender amps with no built in reverb that the uber expensive boutique handwired amps are bad copies of

clamdip7714
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Overhyped:
Floyd Rose Trems.

Underhyped:
Bigsby Trems. ;)

re-animator
09-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Overhyped -

Bad monkey. People are out there saying this thing sounds like a $200 pedal... sounds like a sub-par tube screamer to me

Fulltone Fuldrive 2

Carvin Amps

Standard Gibsons

PTP wiring.

Underhyped/underappreciated:

Fender BF reissues

Carvin Guitars

MIM fenders

boss delays and choruses

USA big muff

Lives up to the hype:

EHX deluxe memory man

Fender custom shop guitars

Epiphone Elitist guitars

Tonefish
09-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Lives up to the hype: Marshall Studio 15- What an AMAZING amp! If you can find one, get it! ........

Funny you should mention that. I've been A/B ing a lot of high-end amps lately and over this weekend I pulled out my old Studio 15 to take some pictures thinking I was going to sell it. I plugged it in and that was the end of that....it's a GREAT amp.

markom89
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Over: Vox Tonebender (atleast the one I've got... that crappy old 80's black reissue one... sounds like ass to me. please don't (cyber)hit me)

Under: BJF pedals (YES, I SAID IT... I THINK THEY'RE *UNDER*-HYPED)
Skreddy (I know he gets hype, but he should be like BOSS now that's how awsome his pedals are)
Moog

granite
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Lives up to the hype: BJF SBEQ, Timmy, EH DLX Memory Man, Zvex SHO, Aiken Amps, 65 Amps (Soho especially), Valvetech Hayseed 30, Avatar Cabs

Underhyped: Orange Amps, Melancon Guitars, Ebow, Eminence speakers

Overhyped: Fender Custom Shop Guitars, Vox AC30CC, PRS, Cel V30 speakers

tijean699
10-24-2007, 02:22 AM
over... gibson guitars,,bos ds1,,marshall dsl tsl jvm mv,,fender trats,,digitech,,mesa stilleto(what a piece of crap) but it looks good,,mxr distortion+(i never understood this one),,peavey 5150,,boss dimention,,ce5,,dd3,,dd6,,and so on

under...jackson USA guitars(the best),,older marshalls 800 super lead plexis and so on,,but i think the 6100 is the best marshall ever produced :munchmi audio crunch box,, ocd,,cc,,keeley pedals,,soldano,,

lukeII
10-24-2007, 02:44 AM
over hyper:
- the eternity other boutique drives sound way better to me
- the bad monkey; I was expecting to be blown away by this one judging by the hype but it isn't nearly as good as other TS based pedals including the original.

Under hyped:
- Fargen amps, Every one I've tried has been outstanding and the prices are really good. There just aren't better amps for that amount money (different yes better no)

- Menatone Red Snapper: this has got be one of my favorite pedals it stands its ground with Klon and Landgraff and the Timmy and yet not hugely popular. In any case it is way more transparent than the Eternity and Fulldrives

Joses
10-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Overhyped: Gibson, Mesa, Gretsch, Matchless, Redwitch Moon Deluxe Phaser

Underhyped: MIJ Epiphone, MIM Fender, Crunchbox, Ibanez Tonelok Pedals

Lives up to the hype: Timmy, MP Mighty Red, Blackstone

2 cents... :)

Dylan61
10-24-2007, 03:26 AM
'Boss Blues Driver', realy don't understand what 'Blues' got to do with it.

Even the color is a ugly blue.

teXum
10-24-2007, 03:59 AM
Overhyped: the Klon, great as a boost, but at that price? There are other pedals that do the clean boost at least just as good, and you still have money left for a great overdrive.

Underhyped: Seymor Duncan Antiquitiy 'buckers, doesn't seem to be getting so much praise lately, but 50s style humbucker repros doesn't get much better than these, IMHO

M I K E D.
10-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I saw Duke Robillard KILL with a LP RI w/ P90's> Bad Monkey > DRRI... just sweet tone. which hyped the Munky for me but...

the Red Snapper came closer to the sound w/ my rig and (hands...and ability)...

StompBoxBlues
10-24-2007, 07:54 AM
over hyper:
- the bad monkey; I was expecting to be blown away by this one judging by the hype but it isn't nearly as good as other TS based pedals including the original.

You know...this is pretty funny really. I've reacted when folks say "couldn't tell the difference between it and a KLON!!!" etc. etc.
I don't have to go way the other way and diss the pedal, it is a REALLY nice little inexpensive OD, that with the right style of guitar playing, the right guitarist, and amp can sound great.

I wasn't blown away by the note definition in chords, OR the feel factor (I love changing up play soft a second, then dig in and wail, then soft..etc.)
but I like the little bastard.

That said, the hype on it is just...I think it appeals to folk because everyone loves the idea of effete cork-sniffers getting their comeuppance.
Not that any of us are that, but the idea...is fun. It says "you thought you were so smart, and here I bought my little Od for under 40 bucks, and you payed 300 and mines as GOOD! HEH!"

There is a lot of that actually, which is unfortunate, because..and this is the point...

IF you stumbled on it (I actaully played one on a trip to the states when they had JUST come out, and liked it but took the "Screamin' Blues" instead...shoulda bought both, this was before any hype. Now I bought one about a year ago, and it is similar to the SB) without hearing the hype, you might think "oh...Digitech.." or not, but if you played it, brought it home, and just enjoyed it you would probably experience a little joy.
A good buy, got a nice little pedal, it might be just the ticket...

But folks have hyped it to the nines, and claimed it was good as a Zendrive or Klon, and...put expectations WAY up there, and there is no way it can live up to it, so you get dissapointed and its the SAME pedal you might have enjoyed the hell out of in the other scenario.

We are a strange species. Same thing as so many complain (me too) about the drive and more drive channels on the Fender Hot Rod amps, yet would be ecstatic if we had bought, at the SAME price, an amp exactly like the HR but that was single (clean) channel only.

heavysoul
10-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Overhyped: the "flavor of the month" pedal/amp/guitar on the gearpage which usually ends up on ebay.

but if you want me to be specific; fulltone effects especially the choralflange

Underhyped:

stock gear and the 10 fingers on both hands.
some of the players on the member soundclips section.

mike@nortoncable.com
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Overhyped- KLON I'm disguested with the Klon- what an overhyped piece....

Underhyped Any of barbers drive pedals Trumps the klon and leaves 100s of$$s in your pocket.

Lives up to hype
11 fingers or 3 legs.

prsflame
10-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Overhyped:

1) Tim and Timmy pedals....been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, got my $ back
2) Klon
3) Some of the Lovepedal stuff......The way guys get crazy over a Burst version, versus a Non-Burst, vs a roadhouse is laughable. Otherwise, I LOVE my eternity

Underhyped:
1) Fulltone OCD. Just a killer overdrive pedal, and very roadworthy.
2) Boss pedals. They sound better than lots of the $300 pieces of crap discussed here by folks that have never played a gig in their lives.

re-animator
10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
updates for me...

overhyped:

Gt-500
MIA reissue strats
all tube screamer clones
fulltone deja vibe
peavey 5150
dual rec
epiphone masterbuilt acoustics
martin d-35

underhyped:

Gretsch guitars
Guild guitars
boss pedals
robert keeley effects
groove tubes

lives up to the hype:

crate v32 palominos
martin d-28
most EHX effects
germanium transistors

jcoggins7
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Overhyped: Marshalls, Gibson guitars, Xotic AC, Fender American series guitars, Bad Monkey, Bad Cats, Krank amps (because any amount of hype they receive is undeserved...trash can tone)

Lives up to hype: Xotic BB & RC, all the Menatone pedals I've tried, all USA PRS guitars, Suhr guitars, Tom Anderson guitars, TC Electronics racks & Nova pedals, Eventide racks, Carr amps

I could think of more but I'm satisfied with that amount.

m@2
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
lives up to hype: Lil' Dawg amps, 6G6 Bassman, Nocaster, DRRI

did not work for me: CVR, expensive pedals in general (too many to list), NOS/expensive tubes (never could hear a big enough difference to justify the $$$$, JJ's work for me)

LowWatt
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Overhyped = Amp in a box pedals.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but everytime I get a pedal that is meant to sound like a Marshall, Vox, Fender, whatever, it ends up having a tinsle-like, fake, chewy sound of some sort that gets you in the ball park of an overdriven amp sound, but just doesn't sound like a good pedal should.

Underhyped = Thick Mids
That great classic British rock was made on thick mids and I just don't hear enough of it in people's tones today. Too many balanced mixes, not enough balls out guitar sounds IMO.

For Gear, underhyped = MIK Gretsch's
I have a 5127 and life long Gretsch users even get shocked how close they are to the American and Japanese made models for only half to a third of the price. I've played a lot of Gretsches in my day and these are right up there with the "proper" Gretsches.

Fair Hype = Skreddy
I'm a new convert, but this man just gets it. All the praise he receives is well earned.

Guitar Josh
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Overhyped: Sorry PaulC, you are a great guy, but the Tim and Timmy don't do anything for me. Also GT500 and the Boss DD-20. And of course, Boss Tu-2 tone suck

Underhyped: SRB808+ pedals

Lives up to hype: Skreddy and Xotic.

Last Nerve
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Overhyped: The best dead-on UniVibe clone

Underhyped: Heritage Amplifiers

Lives Up to the Hype: Nova Delay

dsl
10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Underhyped:

HipKitty-Oxblood
Keeley-Java Boost
MidFi-Pitch Pirate
T-Rex-Moller

Overhyped:
no comment

Keeping it positive. :AOK

dsl

mrmega
10-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Underhyped: SRB808+ pedals

+1 ----> Dave @ Effects Pedal Boutique is a great guy and his pedals ROCK!

Also underhyped: T Jauernig pedals: DGTM, Double DGTM, Gristleking etc

PaulC
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Overhyped: Sorry PaulC, you are a great guy, but the Tim and Timmy don't do anything for me.

No reason to feel sorry. Thanks for giving them a shot though... It may be what I do for a living, but it's just another tone flavor for the player to use. I understand that, and their not going to work for everybody...

but for myself the only overhyping that gets to me is when i see builders doing it.

Later, PaulC
Heritage amps/Tim & timmy pedals

phoenix 7
10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Underhyped: Fulldrive Fat-Boost - this thing sounds amazing into my Victorias or my Shiva, especially with the pedal's gain knob cranked for light OD. Better to my ears than a number of pedals that get lots of acclaim here on TGP and that I've also owned.

Guitar Josh
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
No reason to feel sorry. Thanks for giving them a shot though... It may be what I do for a living, but it's just another tone flavor for the player to use. I understand that, and their not going to work for everybody...

but for myself the only overhyping that gets to me is when i see builders doing it.

Later, PaulC
Heritage amps/Tim & timmy pedals

Believe me I wish they did do more for me! But the above is why people should support you - you are professional, courtesy, respectful and make an original pedal.

If you ever make a "Tim 2", what would work better for me is adding a bit of compression to the signal, backing off the treble and making the boost more of a second channel instead of a booster. Basically, I want you to build a better Fulldrive :)

I'll definitely give whatever you come out with next a shot, because your shop deserves supporting.

jcshirke
10-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I just went through this whole thread...

One thing I noticed recurring in people's lists is that Dr. Z amps are overhyped. Only a couple people said they lived up to expectations. I'm curious to hear more, so I'm going to start a separate thread if anyone wants to chime in.

Thanks.

The Pup
10-27-2007, 12:37 AM
overhyped - everything
underhyped - hands

:) :cool:

dotlikeimpact
10-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Overhyped - Nova Delay

Well-deserved hype:
Malekko Echo 600, Zvex Box of Rock.

hummingbirdlies
10-27-2007, 02:21 AM
overhyped: fulltone

worth it: cesar diaz texas tremodillo,

mbratch
10-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Overhyped: :dude

Lives up to: :munch

mbratch
10-27-2007, 05:39 AM
I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the Buddah Wah.Make that two. It had great wacka going on, but I found it harsh and loud when I kicked it on. Probably just my setup. I went back to my old Sepulveda CA cry baby.

MereImage
10-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Doesn't meet the the hype for me: Fulltone ChoralFlange, PRS Modern Eagle, Mesa Mark IV, Native DAWs.

Meets or exceeds the hype for me: Blackstone OD, Damage Control Womanizer, THD UniValve, PRS 513, PRS Hollowbody, Akai DPS24.

Dave

markom89
10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
I know I've already posted here, but I changed my mind on some things :)

Over:
Klon (I love it, but it's not all that it's built up to be, IMO...)
Marshall amps (there's not one new one that I like... With the exception of the Hendrix fullstack and the 40th ani. full stack)
Gibson guitars (there are only 2 or 3 that I actually liked out of the entire line)
etc...

Under:
Sweetsound fuzz pedals (just amazing)
Diamond pedals (they make other stuff besides the memory lane, you know :rolleyes:)
and...
Lovetone (people are just scared off by their uber-high prices, but once you can get past that they're quite something special, and I don't feel that they get talked about enough...)

Lives up:
BJF
Skreddy
Toneczar
Landgraff
Foxrox

matt5150
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't think anything is overhyped.

I think that things serve a purpose and sometimes that changes. I have bought things on a whim and paid a hefty premium only to find out they didn't do exactly what I wanted.

That's just being a guitar player.

Somethings that lived up to my high expectations?

Evidence cables
Arion SCH
Teese wah pedals
Menatone Red Snapper

Matt

LowWatt
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I just went through this whole thread...

One thing I noticed recurring in people's lists is that Dr. Z amps are overhyped. Only a couple people said they lived up to expectations. I'm curious to hear more, so I'm going to start a separate thread if anyone wants to chime in.

Thanks.

My Dr. Z Maz Jr definitely lives up to the hype. Incredibly versatile with a warm, clear, honest tone.

I can see people not liking it still. Not everyone is into the bold, springy, punchy tone, but if you are nothing short of a vintage Hiwatt (which is too damn loud anyway) can touch the Dr. Z.

Also it is REALLY sensitive to subtle changes in gear. I've played through friends' amps and couldn't hear the difference between my ProCo, Digiflex, and Fulltone cables. In a Z, the ProCo sounds brittle and weak, the Digiflex is passable, and the Fulltone is a godsend. I used to go much longer before string changes too, until I got the Z, I can really hear what I'm losing when the strings start to go.

So many factors from personal taste to quality of other components can affect someone liking a Z. IMO moreso than in other amps. Definitely a try before you buy kind of amp. But if you like them, nothing else will come close.

GrecoVee
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Overhyped: Xotic RC Booster
Lives up to Hype: Digitech Bad Monkey

Sir Duke
10-31-2007, 04:12 AM
pigtronix amps

they have amps?

woude
10-31-2007, 05:35 AM
they have amps?

whoops, just reread my own post. I meant the pigtronix phaser. No clue why I typed amps.

Sir Duke
10-31-2007, 06:50 AM
I dig that phaser too. Looking to get it modded...

Oddos
10-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Overhyped:

Everything I don`t like, which is a lot.
High end end guitar cables
Modeling
Most "improved" copies of old amps.

Lives up to hype:

Suhr stuff.
Analogman stuff
Old BF amps.
Maxon ODs
Chicago Iron Octavian
xx-1 and xx-2 Boss pedals
Practicing

bluesmain
10-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Matchless amps..hype is real deal

Fender bassman - simply great vintage tone and worthy of it's good press

Gibson guitars - fact is - They ain't what they used to be in quality

PRS guitars- good axes, built to last

fender guitars - I'll admitt, I'm a strat cat

Mesa boogies - built like a tank and made to last

take my humble opinion and a dollar and you might get a cup of coffee ;)

semi-hollowbody
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
drri=over hyped (I really like mine but was expecting more)

barber pedals = under hyped

FLYING V 83
10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
For me, what was hyped but didn't work out:

OCD (v2 & v3)
Bad Monkey (USA version)
DLS Chorus-Vib
MI Tube Zone (v2 & v3)
MI Crunch Box
Dan Electro Dan Echo & Tuna Melt
EHX Metal Muff
Fender strats (tried 3 of 'em)

What is under-hyped that did/does work:

HBE Power Screamer
Pedalworx Cactus Crunch
(can't believe I'm the first to mention George in 4 pages!)
RGW Bad Bob
Addrock Not So Ole Yeller
Guyatone MD3
Jacques Meistersinger
JCM900 2x12 combo

Trebor Renkluaf
11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
:AOK

fast ricky love
11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Over: Landgraff, Klon, some BJF pedals, some Lovepedals,

Worth it: Tone Press, Clark, Reinhardt, Maxon AD-900, Eternity, Weber, Celestion Blue/Gold, Analogman Chorus, Tom Holmes, Will Boggs, LP Replicas, Teese, Scumback, old wood

strattitude
11-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Overhyped:
Fulltone FD2 (mosfet)
Radial Tonebone Classic
Fender amr. series guitars

Underhyped:
MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe
Vox Big Ben Overdrive
Reverend import guitars

Manx
11-18-2007, 03:38 PM
overhyped: Fuller pedals, PRS guitars, Foo Foghters

deserves all they can get: Boss CS2 & DC2, BYOC, Analog Man

:BEER

Dylan61
11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Red Repeat - Carl Martin, does not do a thing..

Thwap
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Over: Bad Monkey, Prs
Delivered: Bogner Shiva, MI Crunch box, Barber tone press

obscured
11-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Haven't really bought a crapload of stuff in my time, but here is stuff that has and hasn't worked for me.

Groovy: Fralin pickups, Lollar pickups, OCD V.3, anything Analogman, Roccaforte Amps.

Scandalamitous (not an ACTUAL word, but it works): ANYTHING Voodoo Labs that isn't a Pedal Power, Budda Wahs, Boss Metal Zone (I was 14 and didn't know any better)

troykennedy
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
not for me - xotic BB and AC (great but a little too polite), OCD ver.1, new AC30's, Boogie Lonestars, Blackstone or anything else mosfet, Sunface NKT (awesome, just not for me), new super expensive Gibson and Fender guitars, pretty much any guitar over $3000 come on!

definitely worth it - Keeley Mod's, Eternity, RS Electronics Kits, Avatar Cabs, Celestion Blues, Old AC 30's, RC Booster, Fuzz Factory, Suhr Badger, DL4, Martin guitars, Fralin Pickups, ESP Vintage Plus Strat, Tokai LP copies, Fender DRRI, my 79 strat -

billm408
11-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Over hyped: My stuff
Lives up to the hype: Your stuff

gtrs
11-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Over hyped: Xotic Ac, Fuchs ODS 100, Pure 64 Amps.

Lives up to the hype: Analog Man Pedals, 65amps, Dr.Z amps, Bogner Shiva, Carr amps, Two-Rock Amplification and Don Grosh Guitars.

Lolaviola
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
overhyped: Ibanez soundtank echomachine
lives up to it: Rat pedals

big mike

Lives up to the hype: Analog Man Pedals, 65amps, Dr.Z amps, Bogner Shiva, Carr amps, Two-Rock Amplification and Don Grosh Guitars.

See I could argue that right there. LOL I love the Xotic AC boost, and I thought the 65 amps were only ho-hum.

it's all so personal.

big mike

See I could argue that right there. LOL I love the Xotic AC boost, and I thought the 65 amps were only ho-hum.

it's all so personal.

jbgordon
11-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Underhyped: Carvin Guitars, Stulce Amps, Fulton-Webb amps

Dylan61
11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Overhyped: this thread, as we continue every item will be over and underhyped.

Underhyped: a statistic of this thread.

Occam
11-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Overhyped: small amps for gigs

Underhyped: huge amps cranked to unhealthy levels...it's rock and roll people not a posteurpedic mattress. You know you miss your full stacks, it's okay to use them, the club just have to deal with something that actually rocks.

re-animator
11-21-2007, 12:55 AM
overhyped:

power scaling

underhyped:

playing LOUD.

Occam
11-21-2007, 01:02 AM
overhyped:

power scaling

underhyped:

playing LOUD.
I smell a grass roots movement! :dude

gag halfrunt
11-22-2007, 01:49 AM
overhyped:

power scaling

underhyped:

playing LOUD.
+1

Full stack

jcshirke
11-22-2007, 08:27 AM
overhyped:

power scaling

underhyped:

playing LOUD.

Power scaling is overhyped because you don't think it sounds good, or because you'd just rather play LOUD regardless of how it sounds?

bluesmain
11-22-2007, 08:38 AM
BB Preamp does what they said it would do! Great little stomp box!

StompBoxBlues
11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Power scaling is overhyped because you don't think it sounds good, or because you'd just rather play LOUD regardless of how it sounds?

Not sure what he meant, but...

there is no doubt in my mind that power scaling can sound great (I am guessing here) but there is something else in the experience of speaker moving a lot of air that you cannot duplicate at lower volumes no matter how dynamically they reproduce the sound of true tube OD.

It has to do with the exciting, scary, sound of speakers and you FEELING it in your chest when you hit a chord or hit a lower note, etc.

rongtr
11-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Lives up to the hype- Analog Man KOT- I've had it for two weeks, and it seems I find a new use for it everyday!!;)

jgyn
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Underhyped: huge amps cranked to unhealthy levels...it's rock and roll people not a posteurpedic mattress. You know you miss your full stacks, it's okay to use them, the club just have to deal with something that actually rocks.

+ a jillion.

kwaves99
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Overhyped (for me anyway):

Tone Tubby Alnico 12"
Pod XT Live
Reverend Hellhound

Underhyped:
Lexicon LXP-1
Ayan Smooth and Slim
Harmonic Design Z-90's

Alienhead
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Overhyped- Gibson guitars. Overpriced and overyhyped. I own 3 Gibson's all are not player friendly all cost alot of money, none outplay a cheap off the rack Ibanez. Many made in the good old USA products are overpriced hype crap. Come on Gibson can't you improve the quality of your products by now for say $1000? Why are Les Paul Customs so much money? They are probably 75-90% non-American materials!! I doubt if the wood is American. I am sure the electronics aren't.

Live up to hype-Foreign made affordable, playable guitars.

Deaj
11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Over hyped: Any current production item with a waiting list that consistently sells for considerably more $$ simply to bypass said waiting list. I'm quite sure that many/most of these products are well worth the new price but if folks are consistently paying, say, $300 for a used pedal that goes for $150+patience new...

Under hyped: Monsterpiece fuzz pedals

gag halfrunt
11-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Over-hyped: Some boutique pedals. As we know, there are some really great handmade pedals, but there are plenty that are no better than a Digitech. :(

Under-hyped: SOME Chinese made gear. There's no doubt that China does produce some awful crap, but they are also beginning to make some really good equipment. Watch them steal tons of market share from Korea and Japan in the next 10 years.

jbay555
11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Overhyped- Carr Hammerhead MKII
Under-hyped- Carr Hammerhead MkI
Had a chance to AB them both stock and MKI was much more dynamic and harmonic. While in a smaller box it still sounds larger. And with a used price tag of around $850-$950 versus $1100-$1200 you cant go wrong. Thats alot more money for an extra tone knob that I would keep disengaged.

codeorama
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
*Disclaimer-This is all just my opinion... :D

Overhyped: Bad Monkey (great pedal for the money, but not as great as the hype it gets), Fender and Gibson, Clapton paid 300 bucks for his guitar, but now the CS guitars are upwards of 5 grand in some cases? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, I'm gassing for a good strat really bad, but when did we get to the point that our idols paid next to nothing for their guitars, which were sometimes seconds (the body on EVH's frankenstein), and we are paying thousands for guitars. Half Stacks, I know ego plays a part, I used one for a year and a half before I came to my senses. SnakeOil Strings, or any "boutique strings" for that matter. I've tried most of them and to be honest, I find non of them any better than webstrings, which are a lot cheaper.

Worth it: New Vox's, MiAudio Crunchbox, EVH Phase 90, PRS SE guitars, Fender Hwy1 Texas Teles, EJ Strats, PedalTrain Pedalboards.

schaljo
12-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Overhyped- Carr Hammerhead MKII
Under-hyped- Carr Hammerhead MkI
Had a chance to AB them both stock and MKI was much more dynamic and harmonic. While in a smaller box it still sounds larger. And with a used price tag of around $850-$950 versus $1100-$1200 you cant go wrong. Thats alot more money for an extra tone knob that I would keep disengaged.

Glad you dig it Jimmy. The MK1 is criminally underrated. I'll miss that amp. As long as we're talking underated amps....The Budda SD18. There's a lot of sounds in this little "loud" box.

joeschai
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
overhyped: the Klon
lives up to the hype: ... the Klon.

Depends on my mood.

Guitar1959
12-06-2007, 08:56 AM
"It's all in the fingers" is overhyped, if you have my fingers.

jamison162
12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Overhyped: High $$ Cable, George L Cable, Crunchbox, Fuzz Pedals, modded pedals, FDII Mosfet.

UnderAppreciated: Canare GS-6, Bill Lawrence "Wilde" Cables, Xotic RC, AC, BB, Musicom Switchers.

romo
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Overhyped:

George L cables. I recently upgraded but other than the convenience of making whatever length you want I am not all that impressed.

Maybe Xotic effects. I recently sold my AC and RC boosters. RC was good but maybe a little overhyped. The AC just didn't get along with my amp that well.

Lives up to Hype:

TIM. Haven't had this for very long but damn! This is an impressive little box. Definitely worth the wait.

mark norwine
12-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Overhyped: George L Cable

UnderAppreciated: Canare GS-6

Amen, brother.....

For me:

Overhyped: Diaz Tremodillo. Horrible. And when I insisted that "no pedal could be that bad", Cesar took it back & fixed it. Made it worse. {Boss TR-2 to the rescue!}

Under Appreciated: BYOC!!!! What's that old Jiffy-Pop slogan? "As much fun to make as it is to eat"?

BluesHarp
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Well said.. I think a blind taste test would make most of us realize just how much our mind ( calm down.... to a small degree ) plays tricks on us.

I like the way you think man. Most people dont disect complexs.. but its looking at the gears that turn in our head that make us aware from a distance. blah blah or something like that :D

You know...this is pretty funny really. I've reacted when folks say "couldn't tell the difference between it and a KLON!!!" etc. etc.
I don't have to go way the other way and diss the pedal, it is a REALLY nice little inexpensive OD, that with the right style of guitar playing, the right guitarist, and amp can sound great.

I wasn't blown away by the note definition in chords, OR the feel factor (I love changing up play soft a second, then dig in and wail, then soft..etc.)
but I like the little bastard.

That said, the hype on it is just...I think it appeals to folk because everyone loves the idea of effete cork-sniffers getting their comeuppance.
Not that any of us are that, but the idea...is fun. It says "you thought you were so smart, and here I bought my little Od for under 40 bucks, and you payed 300 and mines as GOOD! HEH!"

There is a lot of that actually, which is unfortunate, because..and this is the point...

IF you stumbled on it (I actaully played one on a trip to the states when they had JUST come out, and liked it but took the "Screamin' Blues" instead...shoulda bought both, this was before any hype. Now I bought one about a year ago, and it is similar to the SB) without hearing the hype, you might think "oh...Digitech.." or not, but if you played it, brought it home, and just enjoyed it you would probably experience a little joy.
A good buy, got a nice little pedal, it might be just the ticket...

But folks have hyped it to the nines, and claimed it was good as a Zendrive or Klon, and...put expectations WAY up there, and there is no way it can live up to it, so you get dissapointed and its the SAME pedal you might have enjoyed the hell out of in the other scenario.

We are a strange species. Same thing as so many complain (me too) about the drive and more drive channels on the Fender Hot Rod amps, yet would be ecstatic if we had bought, at the SAME price, an amp exactly like the HR but that was single (clean) channel only.

Flameout12
12-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Overhyped: Ruining your hearing at a young age by playing loud

Underhyped: Still having good hearing past 50 so you can still enjoy your gear. :BEER

Rid
12-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Red Repeat - Carl Martin, does not do a thing..
We love you too;)

hazel-rah
12-10-2007, 07:57 AM
over-rated: every fulltone pedal I've tried
burst eternity
new gibsons
new fenders
TAYLOR
expensive guitar cables
goodwoods
etc. (I'm sure that I'm missing at least a few...)

worth it: timbuckers!!!!
klon
vintage 808's
bf fenders
(again, not an exhausted list...)

under-rated: 1960's gibson-made amps (falcon, galaxie, etc.---I
have four of them, & the bf fenders are long gone...)

thomas organ crybabys (just as good as my italian 846)

HawnkyTawnk
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Touche'

Jumblefingers
04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Overhyped:
Too many to list

Worth the $$$ and Still Have:
Blackstone, Sun Face, Vexter Fuzz Factory (after 4 trys), Keeley 4 Knob Comp, Retroman Octavious

Worth the $$$ and SHOULD Have Kept at Original Price:
Octron, Zendrive, Timmy

Would have Kept Except they Fetched Too Much $$$ to NOT Sell:
Honeybee, D*A*M MKII, KOT

Andrew D.
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Worth the $$: Diamond Memory Lane. It may not be for everyone, but it does wonders for me.

mike@nortoncable.com
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree on the fulltone pedals, other then the TTE, I've never found the marvel in the choralflange, 69 fuzz or their wah..

KTT
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Totally over hyped:

cornish drive pedals! waited months for them ...and.. thought they were awful! 400 quid each?! hes having a laugh! what a joke!

and...

Bare knuckle pickups: hype! hype! hype! my original Seymour duncans blow em totally!
i kidded myself for a whole year on this one!:horse

no wonder my guitar sounded so thin! Tim is a nice guy who makes them though ......but........there nothing like originals...sorry !

Knowhere near hyped enough:

Rockman stereo analog echo,the worlds best kept secret on analog delays! OMG!

Germino amps, awesome!

and

the subdecay blackstar over drive! killer!..great drive pedal into a clean amp

Dave Orban
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I think Gibsons -- especially their historic reissues -- are overhyped. LOTS of money for a production line guitar, that can be very uneven, quality-wise...

Until they got the Plek machine, their fretwork was horrific!

Don't get me wrong, they still produce the occasional killer guitar -- I had a VOS Special last year that was extraordinary -- but as a whole, I think the maple-top RIs are incredibly overhyped and, hence, overpriced.

WILLIEKENDRICK
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Underhyped/underrappreciated:

Roccaforte amps--monsterous!
Rivera amps
Brunetti amps and effects--expensive and kick a$$!
T. Jauernig pedals: DGTM pedal
Subdecay Stupid Box (LOVE IT!)--amazing tone for little $$$!
Wampler effects

Worth the Hype and then some:
Teese/RMC wahs
Pro Analog effects (I've bought the Dual Drive TWICE!).
WCR Pickups--Jim is a GENIUS
Wolfetone Pickups
RS Guitarworks

STAYIN' POSITIVE!

Unabender
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Underhyped: Solid state amps with a crisp clean sound and solid and full sounding bass, used as a base platform for pedals.

Overhyped: Just about anything vintage.

nibus
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Overhyped:

Lovepedal

Underhyped:

HBE

charmboy
04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Underhyped/underrappreciated:

Roccaforte amps--monsterous!
Rivera amps
Brunetti amps and effects--expensive and kick a$$!
T. Jauernig pedals: DGTM pedal
Subdecay Stupid Box (LOVE IT!)--amazing tone for little $$$!
Wampler effects

Worth the Hype and then some:
Teese/RMC wahs
Pro Analog effects (I've bought the Dual Drive TWICE!).
WCR Pickups--Jim is a GENIUS
Wolfetone Pickups
RS Guitarworks

STAYIN' POSITIVE!
+1 on Rivera, but shhhhh... it's just a matter of time before everybody catches on!

doublee
04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Dare I say the Cele Gold while a very nice speaker, isnt worth 2x the other good ones. Its another flavor, but man my old Jensens are a NICE fat musical
experience as well. I have some very nice Webers too. A/B'ing all this stuff makes me think the Gold is very nice but just another speaker.

gitpicker
04-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Underhyped: Solid state amps with a crisp clean sound and solid and full sounding bass, used as a base platform for pedals.

Overhyped: Just about anything vintage.

Does "Just about anything" cover Plexi Marshalls, Tweed Bassmans, and '65 Super Reverbs by chance???

mr.blacksummer
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
overhype ; ANYthing by Menatone
Lives up to ; ANYthing by Homebrew Electronics

love the homebrew goodies.
the HBE big D is NEVER talked about here, but is stellar.

Rod
04-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Overhyped...Menatone, Fulltone, newer Marshall amps

Worthy of the hype...Jetter, Boss, Aiken and Alessandro amps

This is the Edg
04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Works for me-most likely long term keepers:
Lovepedal E, Mutron III, Mutron Phasor, MXR Script Phase 90, SCH-1, Time Factor, Boss CE-1, Landgraff M'OD

Liked but sold:
Zendrive, Gypsy Fuzz, Landgraff DO

Not for me (sold):
Timmy, Fulldrive II

This is the Edge

redpill
04-30-2008, 11:14 PM

Actually, the club has to do nothing of the sort. And more and more, they simply refuse to.

redpill
04-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Overhyped: tone

Underhyped: songs

cube
04-30-2008, 11:46 PM
over- fulltone
lives- eventide timefactor

AshlandBump
05-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Underhyped: MusicMan Amps from the 1970s, especially the HD65/HD130 212. Big, loud and clear. I don't think they were that well-thought of when they were new because the pre-amp overdrive is not good and there weren't nearly as many overdrive pedal options available 25+ years ago as there are today. These amps work extremely well with overdrive pedals though, like the Barber Direct Drive, so the amps have all the tone and headroom you could want and sound as good or better as any other amp using the same OD pedals. They're also a great bargain.

paraedolia
05-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Interesting thread.:munch
Yes, and it hasn't deteriorated into namecalling yet.
I'll add mine:
Didn't work out for my particular needs despite coming highly recommended: Fulltone 70, jury's still out on Tonebone

Exactly what I wanted or more: AC Boost, Zen drive (although I just sold it cos I'm broke), Fulltone 69, Boss DC-2

Haven't had the 200lbs of tone long enough to tell if it will live up to the hype, and there was sure a lot of discussion about it on here so it's got a lot to live up to. So far so good though.

brockburst
05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Alright through a little side guitar business I have had about 70 guitars go through my apartment......Guitar wise here is my opinion.

Lives up to the Hype - PRS SC 250, Ibanez Satch, Breedlove Focus Acoustic, Grosh Guitars. Strats and Smith Era Strats from 78-84, Les Pauls with Shaw pups from 80-84.

Doesn't cut it - Fender Custom Shop pieces, all new gibson les pauls...quality and prices are terrible and outrageous.

OVERRATED EFFECTS - Boss, Digitech, MXR, ZVEX, Tonebone, Line 6 Modelers

Worth the buy - TC Electronic Nova Delay - Voodoo Lab Chorus and Sparkle Drive, Fulltone OCD and Clyde Standard - Teese Picture Wah, Electro Harmonix POG, Keeley True Bypass Looper.

Amps - Mesa, Bogner, Top Hat
Overrated - Vox, Fender, Marshall

jpv0209
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
i think this is a bad thread........just cause everyone has there own opinion on what sounds good and what doesn't and there isn't 1 almighty brand or pedal or guitar or amp that is the best or worst