PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Wes Borland Signature?

googoobaby
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Anyone play one of these in real life? I know almost nothing about the man, but the guitar really appeals to me (long scale, semi hollow, sidewinder pole pickups, and a really cool looking trem and lock nut).

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/pi/3/84/99/38499240_640.jpg

RJM/rydog2223
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I think I read a article a couples months back where they had a pic of him with one. Looks intresting.

skyblue
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM
That thing should be able to make you do it all for the nookie.

kovachian
07-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Why did they have to put a Floyd Rose-ish steaming pos on it? This is why metalheads should be flogged for trying to design hollow or semi-hollow bodies.

Hackubus
07-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Wut the heck is that thing at the top of the nut?

Ron Thorn
07-25-2007, 01:37 AM
The nut is a "lateral locking" nut. The strings are pinched side by side instead of clamped down as on a Floyd or Kahler nut. The gizmo hanging off the side is an adjustable lever that does the pinching. It only requires a quarter turn between locking and unlocking all the strings.
I've seen ToM / Stoptail versions too, I believe they were just for Wes though.

Shredcow
07-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Actually... This flody rose design is quite cool. Mainly because you don't need allen keys (and any other gears) to clamp/unclamp it. The nut also uses a lever at the side to lock it - no allen keys needed. If I am not wrong, you don't need to cut off the ball ends too, just feed the string thru the trem.
However, non-locking trem posts and a really thin/small trem block... ugh... Gimme the old please.

The guitar itself retails for a whooping 3500 Singapore Dollars here. You can buy an Ibanez JEM, or 2 Ibanez Presteiges, or a Gibson and a half with that kind of $.

Youtube wes borland for some vids where he demos the yamaha guitar, or at least plays with the yamaha. He uses the floyd is quite an... un-metal manner I would say.

Antero
07-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Question.

Wouldn't a Floyd bridge defeat the purpose of having a semi-hollow body? I mean, wouldn't the strings be attached to this floating bridge, removing the impact of basically all the body resonance?

Darth Tater
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Might be an oddly designed guitar, but then again look at who designed it:

http://pobladores.lycos.es/data/pobladores.com/sk/un/skunkkrugger/channels/slipkorn_df/images/wes3.jpg