PDA

View Full Version : What famous guitars should be replicated that have not been already?...

Caretaker
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Let`s here what people would be interested in. Maybe Gibson will do a Pearly Gates? Or Fender do a ???????//

T2Russo
09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Has there ever been a replica Green/Moore LP? That's a classic. Or a Zappa SG with all the funky wiring.

rockinlespaul
09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Has there ever been a replica Green/Moore LP? That's a classic. Or a Zappa SG with all the funky wiring.

Gibson did a Gary Moore, but I'd LOVE if they did a Greeny model.

Caretaker
09-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Gibson did a Gary Moore, but I'd LOVE if they did a Greeny model.
Your replica is damn close color wise. Tone too.

The Last Rebel
09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I think Fender should do a Brad Paisley model. He's really breating life into an old and tired country scene. Very recognizeable voice, I might add.

Caretaker
09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I think Fender should do a Brad Paisley model. He's really breating life into an old and tired country scene. Very recognizeable voice, I might add.
Not likely due to Brad playing Crooks Fender replicas.

rockinlespaul
09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Your replica is damn close color wise. Tone too.

It NAILS the tone, which of course I love. The color is the most beatiful color I've seen, and your right it is damn close color wise.

Greeny's top is unique though.

Not saying mine isn't. Not saying that at all.

Mines better, lol.

The Last Rebel
09-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Not likely due to Brad playing Crooks Fender replicas.
His red one (also his main guitar) is an original '52 Fender. How much would it cost for one of those Crooks Tele's?

Caretaker
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
His red one (also his main guitar) is an original '52 Fender. How much would it cost for one of those Crooks Tele's?
I`m not sure. Not cheap. I`m guessing $1500ish

The Last Rebel
09-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I`m not sure. Not cheap. I`m guessing $1500ish
Dang, I'd pay 1,500 for one of those.

BobbyFudge
09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
How about "Old Black"?

The Last Rebel
09-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok, I've got two more. Strat #001, or David Gilmour's all black Strat. An I mean exact replicas, every bruise, cut, and ding.

markom89
09-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I think that they should "replicate" John Frusciante's 50's and 60's strats, along with those lovely early 60's tele customs he has!... I also agree on the Zappa SG! That would be awsome! What about The Edges explorer, or Jimmy Page's Danelectro?

re-animator
09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Clapton's "The Fool" would be cool.

I know gibson approached EJ about doing an Eric Johnson 335, since the strat was obviously such a hit.... but he turned it down because he said it would just be a '62 NOS 335.

I think Neil Young's old-black would be a nice replica to have, but mostly for its ironic value.

Has the george harrison strat ever come out? how about a harrisson ric? Buddy holly strat? Joe Strummer tele?

IMO, a Jimmy Page telecaster could be awesome... love that sound (and that paintjob!).. but his relationship is too close to gibson i think.

cmatthes
09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
The Joe Strummer Tele is out now...

urizen
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
"Gatemouth" Brown non-reverse Firebird (had P-90s) w/the tooled leather pickguard.

rastus
09-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Joan Jett's Melody Maker.....nah.....I've always lusted after Dave Edmund's natural 59 es 335, but I guess you can get pretty close to that with a production guitar. I'd like a version of Allen Collin's modded Firebird III, or maybe a close copy of Tom Verlaine's Jazzmaster.

Jim S
09-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Gibson has made an Old Black Neil Young model. Not many but it's been done.

I'm surprised Fender never did a Keef relic to sell to the masses or a Springsteen.

tonedaddy
09-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Gibson has made an Old Black Neil Young model. Not many but it's been done.

Here's a pic of one from 2004, for some reason I seem to recall these went to Japan (can't remember for sure, though).
Cool guitar:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a30/DRitter/DSCN2182.jpg

Mike_C
09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I love it if Hamer made a version of Rick Nielsen's Checkerboard Standard.

James
09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I would like Gibson to make a Paul Kossoff Tribute Les Paul modeled after his stripped 'Burst.

That would be cool.

:RoCkIn

Pete Galati
09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
People should put their own replicas together if they want one. Any time Fender or Gibson builds a reproduction of something (where the original was put together on someone's kitchen table) they charge a fortune for it.

Why pay huge amounts of money for something you can do yourself?

Look at what's in the original guitar, buy the parts, and put it together!

Unless it's something like "The Fool", in which case Fabgear could do a killer job.

Pete

GibsonSGgirl
09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Robbie Krieger's Gibson SGs, particularly the Special he had with the funky trem that I've only ever been able to find on an old Epi Coronet...

walterw
09-03-2007, 12:14 AM
i've always wished gibson would make an actual albert king flying V, you know, the one with the bound body and the les paul headstock that isn't really a gibson.

Pete Galati
09-03-2007, 12:31 PM
i've always wished gibson would make an actual albert king flying V, you know, the one with the bound body and the les paul headstock that isn't really a gibson.

That wouldn't be any more ridiculous than Fender building copies of the famous EVH guitar, when they had no real connection to the original.

Robbie Robertson's Strat:

http://picturefrompete.home.comcast.net/robbie.jpg

Rdahmen
09-03-2007, 03:05 PM
did robbie play just one strat at the waltz?
i want to know more about him as a guitar player and his style
anything anyone can tell me?

rockinlespaul
09-03-2007, 03:32 PM

I always thought that was a cool and unique looking and sounding guitar...

Robert1950
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
"Gatemouth" Brown non-reverse Firebird (had P-90s) w/the tooled leather pickguard.

Yes, most definitely.:AOK

Pete Galati
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
did robbie play just one strat at the waltz?
i want to know more about him as a guitar player and his style
anything anyone can tell me?

I've watched the whole Last Waltz on tape, but i don't recall if he used anything else. I think that guitar got used for a long time before that. Someone told me he messed that one up by getting it bronzed.

I've never been able to dig anything up about how that guitar was wired, but that's clearly two Strat pickups, and not a humbucker. Are they RW/RP in series, RW/RP parallel, or not RW/RP at all?

It'd be a fun guitar to put together IMO.

Pete

SGNick
09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I think it'd be cool to see a Johnny Winter Firebird, or maybe a Chuck Berry 345

dudeunitx5000
09-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't really care for copies of famous people's guitars. Most of the time I would rather just go buy an old guitar.

PlexiBreath
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
IMO, a Jimmy Page telecaster could be awesome... love that sound (and that paintjob!).. but his relationship is too close to gibson i think.
This is what I'd like to see! But I think you are right, if Fender was willing to make a replica of the EVH guitar, they've probably already tried to get permission from Page to replicate the dragon paintjob Telecaster. And I'm sure it would sell well. Unfortunately there are only photos to go by so it would be tough to recreate. The neck, the only thing left of that guitar, is now on his brown Tele body, the one with the B-Bender, so at least they can match the profile.

Here's a thought, since Page was the one to paint that guitar, he could try to recreate it himself, the sale of which would raise a lot of money for one of the charities he's active with, then copies of that guitar could go for $25K.

59burstbucker
09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I think it'd be cool to see a Johnny Winter Firebird, or maybe a Chuck Berry 345

I second the Johnny Winter Firebird V.

codeorama
09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Rick Neilsen's Checkered Hamer Standard
Alex Lifeson's White Gibson ES355
Tony Iommi's Battered SG
Randy Rhoads' White LP Custom
Jerry Cantrell's G&L Rampage and his White "cheetah" LP Custom
CC Deville's Pink BC Rich

j/k on the last one... :D

09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Jonny Greenwood's Tele Plus with the onboard kill switch of course

Rock Johnson
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Brian Jones' Vox teardrop would be sweeeeeeeet.

George H
09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I spoke to John Hall from Rickenbacker way back in the early 90's about
making a replica Mike Campbell model Ric 350 like Mike's one off w/ dual
Ric humbuckers.

Best I could do was get a stock 350 & get the gold plastic that is on
Campbells & at least get it to LOOK like his.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/57GLDTP/ric3504.jpg

GH:)

Austinrocks
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/austinrocks/eddyshades.jpg

I always thought Eddy Shavers strat would be nice to replicate, though Eddy is not that well known, I saw him several times and he was incredible

suttree
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok, I've got two more. Strat #001, or David Gilmour's all black Strat. An I mean exact replicas, every bruise, cut, and ding.

they're doing the black one. first a players model ($4000 list!!! i have no idea how they figure that one, since the clapton and the jeff beck and the ej - an expensive guitar to build, too with the weight requirements - are all around the $2-2500 mark list). word has it that the next year they'll do one of the exact, 25k+ replicas. i am kind of ticked at the listed price. they're missing out on a pretty huge market with that kind of ticket, i mean, gilmour's pretty much outsold all of the other fender endorsers combined, you think people would maybe want one? sheesh.

back on topic :D mike campbell should definitely have a sig model, he's one of the great players.

how about a mick ronson "black beauty"

a gram parsons hummingbird? a hubert sumlin strat (he played a lot of different guitars though, didn't he)

fabgear
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM
This is what I'd like to see! But I think you are right, if Fender was willing to make a replica of the EVH guitar, they've probably already tried to get permission from Page to replicate the dragon paintjob Telecaster. And I'm sure it would sell well. Unfortunately there are only photos to go by so it would be tough to recreate. The neck, the only thing left of that guitar, is now on his brown Tele body, the one with the B-Bender, so at least they can match the profile.

Sorry, but that's not true. The Dragon's neck isn't on the B-Bender, that's just a perpetuated rumor. I've got it on good authority that the Dragon is still intact, although it's no longer sporting the Dragon paintjob.

As far as it being tough to recreate, I respectfully disagree....:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/fabgear/Jimmy%20Page%20Tele/ppdonesmall13.jpg

-Jeff

walterw
09-06-2007, 12:49 AM
any truth to the rumor that this guitar was originally a top-loader?

RV52
09-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Pearly Gates :dude

pulse.
09-06-2007, 05:27 AM
I 'ld love to see a Hendrix/Zappa strat, a white Johnny Winter firebird,
a Frisell klein and a Nel Clines jazzmaster

Kyle vs. Guitar
09-06-2007, 06:07 AM
I like the idea of a limited edition line of Sonic Youth Jazzmasters, each with a unique paintjob, pickups, and electronics. A Jimmy Page Telecaster would be nice as well.

The Last Rebel
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
they're doing the black one. first a players model ($4000 list!!! i have no idea how they figure that one, since the clapton and the jeff beck and the ej - an expensive guitar to build, too with the weight requirements - are all around the $2-2500 mark list). word has it that the next year they'll do one of the exact, 25k+ replicas. i am kind of ticked at the listed price. they're missing out on a pretty huge market with that kind of ticket, i mean, gilmour's pretty much outsold all of the other fender endorsers combined, you think people would maybe want one? sheesh.

back on topic :D mike campbell should definitely have a sig model, he's one of the great players.

how about a mick ronson "black beauty"

a gram parsons hummingbird? a hubert sumlin strat (he played a lot of different guitars though, didn't he)
The price of his is probably because it's one of the more heavily modded guitars out there, to make it fairly exact there's some special electronics they've gotta put on it, it's a '70s body with a '57 neck, they have to cut a hole for a Khaler then fill it back in, lots of very special things are gonna go into this guitar. I'll pick up a pre-loved one.

Back to topic, maybe a Ted Nugent sig from PRS. Camo, everything to his specs, with a full quiver of flaming arrows.

suttree
09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
The price of his is probably because it's one of the more heavily modded guitars out there, to make it fairly exact there's some special electronics they've gotta put on it, it's a '70s body with a '57 neck, they have to cut a hole for a Khaler then fill it back in, lots of very special things are gonna go into this guitar. I'll pick up a pre-loved one.

Back to topic, maybe a Ted Nugent sig from PRS. Camo, everything to his specs, with a full quiver of flaming arrows.

you really think they'll do the kahler block on a players model? i wouldn't have thought so. the electronics, unless i miss my guess he's just using custom shop 50's pickups nowadays, even if they're putting in the emg setup, that's only a couple hundred buck over standard electronics (especially at fender's buying rates). sorry i don't want to hijack, but i really want a gilmour strat, and i can't see myself plunking that kind of money down when i can recreate it for what, $1200?

PLAYLOUD
09-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I'd like to see Fender to Malmsteen's "Duck" strat

gillibi
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I've watched the whole Last Waltz on tape, but i don't recall if he used anything else. I think that guitar got used for a long time before that. Someone told me he messed that one up by getting it bronzed.

I've never been able to dig anything up about how that guitar was wired, but that's clearly two Strat pickups, and not a humbucker. Are they RW/RP in series, RW/RP parallel, or not RW/RP at all?

It'd be a fun guitar to put together IMO.

Pete

The guitar was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last few times I was there. He also put a big Kahler locking tremelo on it, it's a really FUGLY guitar now! It's a shame it USED to be a 50's Strat.

southpawmax
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I think that they should "replicate" John Frusciante's 50's and 60's strats, along with those lovely early 60's tele customs he has!... I also agree on the Zappa SG! That would be awsome! What about The Edges explorer, or Jimmy Page's Danelectro?
They offered John Fru a sig, but because he plays originals enitrely stock he declined and said it would be pointless.

JMPRO
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I offered my 53 Strat prototype to Fender if they wanted to do a reproduction and they declined.
Jmpro

jconway747
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I say they should do:

Johnny Winter Firebird
Jimmy Page Dragon Telecaster
SRV Strat (I know Fender makes an SRV strat but it doesn't look all beat up like Stevie's did)

jads57
09-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Jan Akkerman`s Sunburst Les Paul Proffesional, which I beleieve was originally done by Jol Danzig at Hamer.

ReddRanger
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I say they should do:

Johnny Winter Firebird
Jimmy Page Dragon Telecaster
SRV Strat (I know Fender makes an SRV strat but it doesn't look all beat up like Stevie's did)
I thought Fender did recently make a limited run of exact SRV replicas?

PapaDave
09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Ed Roman's guitars in Vegas used to sell replicas of Clapton's Fool SG.

I'd like to see a repro of Roy Buchanan's 53 Tele, "Nancy"

malabarmusic
09-06-2007, 08:18 PM
...Alex Lifeson's White Gibson ES355...Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.guitargearcentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=107

- DB

The Last Rebel
09-06-2007, 08:24 PM
you really think they'll do the kahler block on a players model? i wouldn't have thought so. the electronics, unless i miss my guess he's just using custom shop 50's pickups nowadays, even if they're putting in the emg setup, that's only a couple hundred buck over standard electronics (especially at fender's buying rates). sorry i don't want to hijack, but i really want a gilmour strat, and i can't see myself plunking that kind of money down when i can recreate it for what, $1200?
For 4,000, they'd better! He's got an extra switch or two stashed away in that guitar. Not exactly sure what they do, just know he's got one or two on it. Good point on recreating it, I just want to play one, I'll be happy. I still have a hard time imagining it being 4,000 list, the Merle Haggard one is about that much, but it has a quilt top. Dean should do one of Gibbons' fuzzy guitars.

c_mac
09-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Brad's main guitar is a pink-burst '68 Paisley Tele.

Whiskeyrebel
09-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Waylon's leather bound Tele.

That guitar in the photo book included in the LP version of Jackson Browne's Running On Empty, the eagle-shaped one with carved feathers. With CNC this might even be producable in quantity.

analogwarmth
09-06-2007, 10:04 PM

he does play fenders, but he speaks out alot for crook guitars. nothing wrong with that, but he does use a line6 filter pedal too? thats a whole nother thread!

analogwarmth
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

talked to fender about a buddy holly strat, they said its planned but his "B" of a wife is sucking his name dry and won't sign over rights. maybe after she dies.

oh yea happy b-day Buddy!

analogwarmth
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Rick Neilsen's Checkered Hamer Standard
Alex Lifeson's White Gibson ES355
Tony Iommi's Battered SG
Randy Rhoads' White LP Custom
Jerry Cantrell's G&L Rampage and his White "cheetah" LP Custom
CC Deville's Pink BC Rich
j/k on the last one... :D

the alex lifeson is coming out. i got money ready for it baby! just waiting for my dealer to call and say "i can order it today".

Whiskeyrebel
09-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Unlikely: Malcolm Young's stripped and gutted Gretsch.

suttree
09-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Unlikely: Malcolm Young's stripped and gutted Gretsch.

there is a malcolm signature model, might not be all that unlikely.

suttree
09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
For 4,000, they'd better! He's got an extra switch or two stashed away in that guitar. Not exactly sure what they do, just know he's got one or two on it. Good point on recreating it, I just want to play one, I'll be happy. I still have a hard time imagining it being 4,000 list, the Merle Haggard one is about that much, but it has a quilt top. Dean should do one of Gibbons' fuzzy guitars.

the merle's almost $6500, but it's a custom shop, and a set neck with a flame top. well, i'm interested. i get the feeling that if sales are good (i can't imagine how they wouldn't be), they'll do other models, a tribute and i hope eventually a players model. i don't think i'll be plunking that much cash down though...

JMarck
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Tommy Bolin's Strat..I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

smallbutmighty
09-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Martin should do Willie Nelson's "Trigger" guitar.

Now THAT would be a real signature guitar!

A

mark norwine
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
How about a Kirchen tele?

Whiskeyrebel
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
there is a malcolm signature model, might not be all that unlikely.
yeah, but it is routed for one pickup and nicely finished, not sanded bare and routed for three pickups with only one installed and the rest just gaping.

analogwarmth
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Martin should do Willie Nelson's "Trigger" guitar.

Now THAT would be a real signature guitar!

A

And All The People Said " Amen"

John LeQuire
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
John Cipollina's custom Gibson SG:

http://www.johncipollina.com/PhotosBand/images/guitar01_jpg.jpg

Bobbofallenstar
09-14-2007, 02:09 AM
I'd like to see:

A Springsteen model Telecaster and/ or Takamine

A Dave Pirner model Telecaster

And Edge model Explorer or Strat

Marty Willson-Piper 1993 Rose Morris 12 String Rickenbacker

A Mike Campbell model Anything. I've seen him play some weird guitars! Check out www.thedirtyknobs.com

A signature model of my Telecaster 12 string!!

Yeah, I said it! I'd like to see my own signature model!!!

<insert evil laugh here>

StuBrew
09-14-2007, 02:24 AM
How about Kings X's Ty Tabor's Red Fender Elite Strat with the "secret" onboard preamp. That would be very cool! :cool:

pulse.
09-14-2007, 04:03 AM
What about an Adrian Belew strat? Or mustang, both with custom painted bodies and wierd electronics. sustainers, kahler tremolos...

archtop
09-14-2007, 05:01 AM
How about Kings X's Ty Tabor's Red Fender Elite Strat with the "secret" onboard preamp. That would be very cool! :cool:

like this one on the 'bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Elite-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ300151281781QQihZ020QQcatego ryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tnvol
09-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Let`s here what people would be interested in. Maybe Gibson will do a Pearly Gates? Or Fender do a ???????//

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking before I even opened this thread. Great idea.