PDA

View Full Version : What are the best patch cables?

elkym
09-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Just a set of little things for in between pedals is what I'm looking for... Any suggestions?

I know some people like the cheapies cause they damp the treble a little bit...

gregory49
09-07-2007, 02:32 AM
lavaman.

jhumber
09-07-2007, 02:35 AM
According to the lavacable site, it's the Cardas Audio cables: http://lavacable.com/Cardas_Audio.htm

"This is Lava Cable's best cable for pedal boards due its flexibility and superior performance"

$28 for 6-11".

09-07-2007, 04:01 AM
$28 for a one foot cable is criminal.
Go to an electronics store get some quality cable and right angle plugs and make them yourself.
Don't be a fool and encourage these prices. Just my opinion.

RockStarNick
09-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Which one's are the best: thats debatable.

I'll tell you what's the WORST.

The multi-color 6 pack of 1' RA connectors from Radio shack. Murdered my tone.

that was back before I knew any better.

"Taming the treble" is an understatement. Those things neuter tone.

j_m_s
09-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Its subjective. Some people actually love those cheapo multi coloured 6 pack. haha.

Im currently on home made ones. Klotz Lagrange G10Y with Neutrik Heads. I need smaller ones now. Gunning for flatheads or Bill Lawrence or GLs.

mprvise
09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I like the Evidence stuff - Lyric HG and Melody.

Check out this thread for TONS of cable info and discussion:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=266065&highlight=cable

Phil M
09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
$28 for a one foot cable is criminal.
Go to an electronics store get some quality cable and right angle plugs and make them yourself.
Don't be a fool and encourage these prices. Just my opinion.

Hmm, I tend to agree but I thought the $28 was for six seperate 11 inch cables. Now I realize that it must be one cable ranging in length from 6 to 11 inches. Right?

Guinness Lad
09-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm going to get some Canare G6S cables made up for me. Each 12" is $10.95 if I remember right. Very nice sounding cables not quite as bright as George L's but they also have a better and more detailed midrange.

I will soon replace all my George L's with these cables, my only concern is will multiple cables eventually kill off the high end even if they are very high quality.

LavaMan
09-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Just a note:

Cables like any other product, come in different designs and price points. And, like many many other products use of different materials, purer metals, more insulation etc...tpyically raises the production costs, therefore the end product typically costs more - but performs better and this is the point, as you get what you pay for.

Cables fall into two general categories: Commodity cables, and Engineer cables.

Commodity cables are those such as Canare, Mogami, Gepco, Rapco, Monster, Planet Waves, Whirlwind etc... These are produced in millions of feet per year using averager grade materials to keep costs down and the end product is often mass produced using molded ends. These cables have flooded the market for years, and as result many musicians balk at paying higher prices for cables - because they have been accustomed to pay little...

Engineer Cables include all those who fall outside the commodity category. Companies that make these (or have them made) are more focused on design - using the best materials available than cost and typically have production runs of any given cable that is less than 100,000 feet per year. Historically many of these cables have not been readily avialable to most musicians, typically available only in a small number of hi-fi audio stores.

I make cable from both categories and there are significant audio differences between them. And, less than five customers now over a 2+ year period of carrying many different engineer cables have returned them because they felt they did not get their money's worth...

So, you can balk at some of my pricing if you want, but the best always costs more regardless of product.

whoismarykelly
09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Dont forget the top notch build quality that mark provides and the customer service as well.

slingshotmb
09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
My favorite...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/slingshotmb/vdH20Patch20web-1.jpg

hbentley
09-07-2007, 11:04 AM
lavaman does great work. i've been quite happy with mine

tzamosti
09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
+1 on Lava...great product, great customer service. He gets them to you incredibly fast. Stands by his product.

BooRadley
09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
in my opinion any "quality" cable manufacturer will make a good patch cable...

planetwaves
lavaman
monster...

etc etc

i also use yorkville sound 9 dollar cheapo's (canadian brand) too... for me.. they are just damn patch cables!!!

mileseven
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Another +1 on lavaman's service, value, and quality!

Gomez315
09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
My favorite...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/slingshotmb/vdH20Patch20web-1.jpg

Is that lava? Do prices include shipping?

Roark
09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Depends, use lavamans stuff if price is no object.

I've been using these without issues, I'm poor....:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-NEW-AXL-PATCH-CABLES-GUITAR-PEDAL-CORDS-CORD-CABLE_W0QQitemZ140155160104QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4707 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rawkguitarist
09-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll just say it like this. For many years I spent money on the cheap stuff (not knowing any better), you know the cheap black molded end 6 inch cables at any music store. They pass signal for a period of time and eventually fail.

Finally bought some planet waves and they worked great, but I knew I could get ones with better quality cable and slimmer profile. Then went to George L's (better cable, slimmer ends).

Got tired of the George L's being too bright and again continually failing.

Decided to spend $60 on G&H right angles, bought 12 feet of Evidence Audio Melody bulk cable (from Lavacable) and some WBT (I think) silver solder. Total material cost around $100. It took a bit of time to solder these together, but now I have some really high quality, great sounding cable. I love the results, but you need to have patience to put this many cables together (24 right angles:jo). This headache is what you pay someone like Mark at Lava for.

MOST guitarist would same money and headaches if they spent the good money and research in the first place. Simply go to Mark for all your good quality cable needs and be done with it. He has a large continuum of cable lines, of which I'm real happy with the mid level Melody line.

MoRawk
09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
My Vovox guitar cable gives me a woody. Just waiting to finalize my pedal needs and I'm making sure my whole signal chain is Vovox. Having Ben Fargen wire my new Mini-Plex combo with Vovox too. If you're going to spend a couple grand on a guitar, a couple grand on an amp, and 200-500 per pedal, why skimp on what carries your signal? That's my philosophy. Buy the best, buy it once and never have to worry about it again.

Moe45673
09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
bad cables can degrade your tone like having 3 bypassed dunlop crybabys in the signal. Cables are definitely worth the investment. I spent $300 CAD on my rig from Mark (have 11 pedals, plus some spare cables), the man is a pleasure to deal with. Extremely knowledgeable as well.

Mark is the sort of person that would take a financial hit on a sale to ensure customer satisfaction. I hardly think he is robbing anyone.

slingshotmb
09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Is that lava? Do prices include shipping?

Yes i get them from lavacable .Mark makes them. the cable is Van den hul...
http://www.lavacable.com/VanDenHul.htm

shipping is not included.

Zillie
09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
My Vovox guitar cable gives me a woody. Just waiting to finalize my pedal needs and I'm making sure my whole signal chain is Vovox. Having Ben Fargen wire my new Mini-Plex combo with Vovox too. If you're going to spend a couple grand on a guitar, a couple grand on an amp, and 200-500 per pedal, why skimp on what carries your signal? That's my philosophy. Buy the best, buy it once and never have to worry about it again.

so do you think that vovox is the best? (as it is the most expensive)

MoRawk
09-07-2007, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't say the Vovox is the best of the best. That differs for everyone. There is also the Van Den Hul cables that are much more expensive. The Vovox is good enough for me though.

radcliff
09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
George L cables have never let me down and I think they sound great for patch cables.

For my three foot cables I use for a connection to an Exp pedal or volume pedal....I use Lava

lv
09-07-2007, 09:29 PM

It is not the most expensive, the van den hul is.

Best depends on what you want. Dimarzio cables are great and reasonably priced. After trying out lots of different cables, the Vovox and Sommer Stratos came out at the top for my taste.

guitarist58
09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Isn't the Sommer Spirit supposed to be a good value cable for (po) people like me? :)

LavaMan
09-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Isn't the Sommer Spirit supposed to be a good value cable for (po) people like me? :)

Yes...The Sommer Spirit is a great bang-for-buck cable.

elkym
09-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Original thread poster speaking here...
I'm a poor college student... those AXLs on ebay are looking tempting...

LavaMan
09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm a poor college student... those AXLs on ebay are looking tempting...

BYU?

elkym
09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
No, but that is across town
UVSC

LavaMan
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
No, but that is across town
UVSC

My wife graduated from there in '93 when it was called UVCC....I am a UofU grad -'94. Loved SLC, even played a couple of gigs in Provo...

GTRJohnny
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Lava... FInd a cable you like and use it throughout...

elkym
09-07-2007, 11:21 PM
My wife graduated from there in '93 when it was called UVCC....I am a UofU grad -'94. Loved SLC, even played a couple of gigs in Provo...

Cool. Now I'm sure you've moved on to bigger and better things... like making guitar cables of a rather expensive and amazing variety...

valen
09-08-2007, 05:29 PM
The original poster was asking about patch cables , not cables in general. I would love to be proven wrong but I would be surprised if many people could tell which is better in this test:

Take 2 reasonalbly high quality cables and 2 TB effects. Run the cables to the first effect and from the second to the amp. Put a patch cord of the same manufacturer between the two effects and listen. Change to an insanely priced patch cord between the two effects. Tell me you hear a difference worth 2 or 3 or 4 times the price of the original patch cord. Bet most people can't.

Try the same test with more TB pedals and more patch cords and the results will be a little "worse" but not much.

My point is that the patch cord is so short that any reasonable quality patch cord such as GL or Fulltone or similar will do the job for most people. When you go cheap, YES of course you will hear tone degradation. But when you reach a certain level of quality, just because a cable is 4 time more expensive does not make it any better in PATCH cord applications

In A/B tests as the the one above, most people will not hear a difference when listening in a lab type environment and 100% of the people will not hear a difference when the whole band is playing.

The above applies to patch cords. Long cable runs will of course affect tone in many different ways.

Just MY 2 cents. YMMV

whoismarykelly
09-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Im sure YOU cant hear the difference between two 6 inch lengths of cable but some people can. Further, many people here have chains of 8-15 pedals. That adds up to a lot of cable and you can definitely hear a difference at that point.

guitarist58
09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
But then how would we find out what is the best? :( :p

XKnight
09-08-2007, 07:54 PM
I now use Audioquest cables to connect my pedals and it made a huge difference compared to the cheap patch cables I was using previously. It opened up my sound tremendously.

elkym
09-09-2007, 12:55 AM
thank you valen. I was coming to that conclusion anyway... but it's nice to actually see that someone else supports the idea.

As for the rest of you, I only run 4 pedals so far, and I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I'm not incredibly worried. I'm not doing any studio recording-- heck, I don't even have the amp I'd really like... (Something with that LOUD, Punchy, clean tone you get out of a Fender Blues-- although I'm not set on Fender I have yet to hear it matched...)

Thank you, I'm pretty sure Lava is pretty good. For now I grabbed a cheap set to do the trick, and I'll look into getting some George L's...

Don't get me wrong, the advice was/is great, and I sort of expected some of it anyway... so I'll keep it in mind when I'm no longer a poor college student.

lv
09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
The original poster was asking about patch cables , not cables in general. I would love to be proven wrong but I would be surprised if many people could tell which is better in this test:

Take 2 reasonalbly high quality cables and 2 TB effects. Run the cables to the first effect and from the second to the amp. Put a patch cord of the same manufacturer between the two effects and listen. Change to an insanely priced patch cord between the two effects. Tell me you hear a difference worth 2 or 3 or 4 times the price of the original patch cord. Bet most people can't.

Try the same test with more TB pedals and more patch cords and the results will be a little "worse" but not much.

My point is that the patch cord is so short that any reasonable quality patch cord such as GL or Fulltone or similar will do the job for most people. When you go cheap, YES of course you will hear tone degradation. But when you reach a certain level of quality, just because a cable is 4 time more expensive does not make it any better in PATCH cord applications

In A/B tests as the the one above, most people will not hear a difference when listening in a lab type environment and 100% of the people will not hear a difference when the whole band is playing.

The above applies to patch cords. Long cable runs will of course affect tone in many different ways.

Just MY 2 cents. YMMV

With only 2 effects, and using reasonable quality cable and not the cheap stuff from GC, you may be correct. Though some of the expensive cables I have tried are voiced very differently. For example, the Cardas Golden Chord and the Analysis Plus Yellow Oval are pretty dark and smooth sounding - put a few patches made with that into a rig wired with the much brighter Sommer Stratos and I know I could tell the difference.

That said, if the OP is only running 4 boxes, and using GL's or Dimarzio's - switching to something expensive isn't going to do much, and that $ could be spent on something that would have a greater impact on tone, like speakers.