PDA

View Full Version : Best speaker for tweed deluxe

Redfish
09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm having a 25 watt tweed deluxe chassis built for me by Li'l Dawg and I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on the best 12 inch speaker for this amp. I have heard good things about the Weber vst12a125--improved headroom/smooth breakup. Anyone had any experience with this or any other choices? I'm primarily concerned about speaker fart out on low notes and smooth breakup. I'm also considering the Celestion G12H30 and would like to hear from anyone having experience with this speaker in a tweed deluxe.

michael patrick
09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Re: the H30

I'm not sure I'd trust a 30 watt speaker in a 25-watt amp.

Scumback Speakers
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Not much to add after Mr. Lochner's post, except to clarify that the 30 watt H75 actually handles 38 watts maximum, and that it's working fine in several of these amps out here in LA. If you needed more clean headroom, and in case you swap tubes as John has, then go with the HP model

Redfish
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys, That's great info and I'll check these speakers out. I play an R8 Les Paul, a Nocaster and a Melody Maker with a P-90 so I'm all over the place as far as pickups. I'm expecting this thing to sound better with the single coils than the Les Paul from what I've read. John, is there a simple explanation for what you did to the circuit to prevent farting out?

smiert spionam
09-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Weber 12a125a-35watt is what I've settled on in my Gibson GA-40. I've also had it in a couple of original tweed deluxes. Perfect balance of a (relatively) crisp bottom end and nice compression. It's a great match.

The Weber Blue Dog or a Celestion Blue are also great.

Redfish
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
John, I'm sorry, I didn't realize when I responded earlier that you build these commercially or I wouldn't have asked about the circuit mod. I thought you just built them for yourself until I saw your website. Thanks for the speaker info though, it sounds like just the thing I'm looking for.

Cobra
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I've used Celestion alnico blue, Fane alnico, & Weber alnico 30watt Bluedog & Silverbell in my 5E3's, and all sounded excellent. My fave is the Weber alnico Bluedog, which just seems to be a perfect match for the amp & my ears, but I don't think you could go wrong using any I mentioned. I would love to try a Scumback H75 with a 5E3 at some point, & I'll prolly do that sooner than later. :D

Trout
09-13-2007, 12:28 PM
I honestly do not think there is a " BEST" speaker for a 5E3 or for that matter any amp.

I have tried a lot of speakers in my 5E3 and have several I like, But not for everything.
If you do a search on this topic, there have been countless examples for one guy loving speaker XXXX and the next guy just plain hating it.

I love my Jensen Neo 12/100 in my 5E3 for most use, but once and a while I like the darker thicker sound of the C12N.
Others seem to have their favorites also.

IMO it is best to Rob, borrow, steal a bunch of different speakers until you find the balance your looking for.

Trout

EataPeach
09-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I like the Weber 12a125 myself and I have the Jemsen C12N too...I like what the Jensen adds...But I prefer the Weber

hairyandy
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I've done some work for Neil Finn and he's got a '58 tweed Deluxe. He blew up the original P12R a couple years ago and I sent it off to ABrownSoun to get reconed. In the meantime we put a reissue Greenback 25 in it and he liked it more than the original I'm told. He's still using it with the Greenback on the current Crowded House tour and it's held up fine and he doesn't play quiet!

Andy

tlpruitt
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I have heard several people rave about the Cannabis Rex in 5E3 amps. Supposed to sound very warm and smooth and can easily handle the power of a 5E3.

-Tim

Redfish
09-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Not much to add after Mr. Lochner's post, except to clarify that the 30 watt H75 actually handles 38 watts maximum, and that it's working fine in several of these amps out here in LA. If you needed more clean headroom, and in case you swap tubes as John has, then go with the HP model

I ordered a thirty watt H75 this weekend. I'll let you guys know when I get it all together how it sounds. Thanks for the input, Marty

MBreinin
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys, That's great info and I'll check these speakers out. I play an R8 Les Paul, a Nocaster and a Melody Maker with a P-90 so I'm all over the place as far as pickups. I'm expecting this thing to sound better with the single coils than the Les Paul from what I've read. John, is there a simple explanation for what you did to the circuit to prevent farting out?

It will sound amazing with the Les Paul. A LP and a 5E3 is a match made in heaven,...just ask Billy Gibbons.

Mike

Boogs
09-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I love the Weber 12A125 - really nice definition and balance in a 5E3. I also love the Emi GB12, which I'm using now. The GB12 has fuller lows/low mids than the 12A125, it's loud, and it has one of the sweetest high ends of any speaker I've ever played. I will probably need that extra volume if I gig it, as the Weber couldn't quite cut it for a gig last May that I ended up using another amp for. I thought the Jensen C12N, which my Richter shipped with, sounded very good after breaking in.

tybone
09-29-2007, 06:36 PM
I found that skanky old rolas pulled from old organs can be very good.

ford
09-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hi-jack.. I've searched but can't find the L'il Dawg website.... can anyone direct me there??

Thanks

bford

Ah... I found it... I needed to search Little Dawg amplifiers (http://www.littledawgamps.com), not L'il Dawg...

martyncrew
09-29-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a '53 Tweed Deluxe. My top 3 speakers are:

Jensen P12Q (1963)- as you'd expect, classic tweed crunch but a bit more headroom than the stock P12R.
Weber Blue Dog (Ceramic, light doping, 30w)- my favorite and the one that I kept in the amp.Beautifully balanced, really nice chime and quack with a Strat. It sounds so good that I don't feel the need to try either the AlNiCo version or even a Cele Blue.
Jensen Neo 100 - to my surprise, this sounded great and has a really nice punch.

wingwalker
09-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I like an H30 or a Celestion blue in a tweed Deluxe and in my own 62 brown Deluxe I run a 68 alnico Celestion...and let me tell you, it KILLS!

wingwalker
09-29-2007, 10:49 PM
That said you can't go wrong with an old Jensen...P12Q's are nice in those amps...

09-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Reverend 1250 is my fave. I tried a Celestion Alnico Blue in my Mission for a while and it did not do much for me. Playing mostly with humbuckers.

Lou Brush
09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
+1 Jensen P12Q. It's a good match for the midrangy 5E3 circuit.

gi doc
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
It seems like I remember reading in a book of old "fender mods" that it was of there opinion that the best speaker for a Tweed Deluxe was actually a Jensen P12N. I wonder if anyone here has tried that combination??

z3
09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
It seems like I remember reading in a book of old "fender mods" that it was of there opinion that the best speaker for a Tweed Deluxe was actually a Jensen P12N. I wonder if anyone here has tried that combination??

the amp that folks are talking about in this thread is not Ur typical tweed deluxe. it's a 6L6 equipped 30 watter. some of the speakers suggested here wouldn't last very long in that amp.

having said that, in a normal 5E3 i prefer the p12Q to the p12N. the deluxe, for me, just doesn't have enough juice to really open the p12N up. for me, the p12Q just has the right balance of headroom and compression, when pushed, in the later tweed deluxe amps.

Ridgeback
09-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I have two 25 watt Weber P12N's in my Vicky Double Deluxe. I was looking for later and more controlled breakup than the P12R or P12Q.

outtahear
09-30-2007, 11:04 PM
the amp that folks are talking about in this thread is not Ur typical tweed deluxe. it's a 6L6 equipped 30 watter. some of the speakers suggested here wouldn't last very long in that amp.

having said that, in a normal 5E3 i prefer the p12Q to the p12N. the deluxe, for me, just doesn't have enough juice to really open the p12N up. for me, the p12Q just has the right balance of headroom and compression, when pushed, in the later tweed deluxe amps.

Agreed-a well broken in Q in a 5E3 can give an almost acoustic feel/response to the guitar.

go7
09-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Have used C-rex and 12A150`s in a 2x12 cab, both different both great. Good Luck!

Redfish
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Well I've got the Li'l Dawg Deluxe amp together and it turned out great. The amp is everything a tweed Deluxe should be and my Nocaster through this thing will make you soil your jeans. Jim (Li'l Dawg) did a fine job on the amp, the Better Built cabinet is awesome, and the Scumback H75 speaker is great too. If this speaker actually improves with break in it is going to be unbelievable because it sounds amazing now. I ran my Koch amp through it and it blows away the stock Jenson. I'll be replacing that with a Scumback soon. Jim Dickerson at Li'l Dawg amps was a pleasure to work with and this was a completely enjoyable project. How many times does that happen? Thanks to all for your input, I learned a lot.

Good Pickin' Marty

Jon C
10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
a good Jensen P12N (the real thing, not new ones), IMO...

jpervin
10-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I have a Weber alnico Signature 12S in a 5E3 clone I built. Haven't had a chance to get it broke in yet. It sounds ok, but I'm wondering if there are other/better choices that sound great right out of the box?

Trout
10-10-2007, 07:40 AM
I have a Weber alnico Signature 12S in a 5E3 clone I built. Haven't had a chance to get it broke in yet. It sounds ok, but I'm wondering if there are other/better choices that sound great right out of the box?

I think people abandon speakers way to early. I personally used to swap speakers more often than socks. It got pretty expensive and I ended up with a closet shelf full of really good speakers that I had never even broke in properly.
I got a 5E3 with a Jensen Neo, It was a bit to harsh for my tastes (At The Time) so I put in a Jensen C12N, It was not much better at first, but after about 75 hours I fell in love with the tone.

It can often take months to hear even a subtle differences in a broken in speaker Vs New. My fear would be the sounds good out of the box speaker not sounding good after breakin.

tybone
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I keep buying old rola's on ebay. You get some great deals on 50 year old alnico speakers. Other than that I'll go with a tone tubby alnico hempcone any day.

Griz
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I've done some work for Neil Finn and he's got a '58 tweed Deluxe. He blew up the original P12R a couple years ago and I sent it off to ABrownSoun to get reconed. In the meantime we put a reissue Greenback 25 in it and he liked it more than the original I'm told. He's still using it with the Greenback on the current Crowded House tour and it's held up fine and he doesn't play quiet!

Andy

Neil Finn likes the Greenback RI in a tweed Deluxe? Good enough for me. Have to check that out some time.

:AOK