PDA

View Full Version : P-90 vs. mini humbuckers

Greenbacker
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a LP Deluxe but I want a P-90 guitar too. What is everybody's thoughts between these two pickups? I play '70s sort of punk so I like it to be a little scratchy but I need to throw a few mutes in there too with some good mid-range.

I love my deluxe as is but I've heard such great things about p-90s too and know that a lot of guys make the switch. I'm considering buying a pair of 60's P-90s for it. Good idea? Or shoud I just go out and buy somethig like a LP Special for around the same price?

Any thoughts of the tonal differences between pickups here would begreatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RadackGuitars
09-30-2007, 11:46 AM
how about a p90 in the bridge and the minibucker in the neck?
the middle position of that setup is fantastic.

al.cxam
09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
how about a p90 in the bridge and the minibucker in the neck?
the middle position of that setup is fantastic.

Superb idea- gets you the best of both worlds, too. P90s really love the neck position but can sound a little brittle/thin in the bridge... HBs always sound better in the bridge to my ears, especially when you're using gain...

ahab
09-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I really like bridge position P-90 tones. Into a EL-84 amp, there really is no sound that I like better.

jackaroo
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
having owned a bunch of 70's goldtop deluxes- and one 69 w/p90s- I think the bridge PU is the biggest problem on the mini hums. They don't have enough output or bottom to keep up with the tone of the neck mini bucker. If you found an overwound mini- that might work. Or- you can mix n match with a P90 in the bridge. P90s sound great there, but they are a noisy PU, and if you're not on your game with the volume knob it can get buzzy.

BTW the neck PU on my 70 LP (minis) was one of the best sounds I've heard, and the P90 on my 69 was really something cool. If you can live with the look that might be the ticket-

Lastly, who can argue with 2 p90s???- they really are just fantastic sounding PUs, they just have some rough edges- but seeing as how you're doing the punk thing- I don't see that as being a problem.

Whatever you do- save the original parts and screws in a baggie- just in case you want to sell it.

Cheers,

JD

sdlogan9
09-30-2007, 05:36 PM
P90's are the way to go!!! They sound so nasty and organic!!

tone slave
09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
P90's are the way to go!!! They sound so nasty and organic!!

I agree 100%. However, I have recently been pretty impressed with the sound of the duncan mini humbucker in the neck position of the new hot rod tele. I generally hate humbuckers in the neck position, but apparently mini humbuckers are a different story.

gtraddict
09-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I would go ahead a buy a Junior like you suggested for the same amount of money that way you will have both of both worlds. I had p 90's guitars(4 still), p 900 mcinturffs and firebird VII and I think that they are different enough to where you want to keep both of the mini and p90 handy in both positions.

P90Nut
09-30-2007, 06:28 PM
P90's are pretty versatile pickups. I agree that if you like your current guitar, keep it & add a P90 axe. Take a look at the SG Classic. It's a great guitar for less than a $1000.

Good luck,

Mark

jads57
09-30-2007, 06:35 PM
2 things that I`ve tried, that I like are putting a bridge vintage Seymour Duncan in the neck position. This gives it a fatter sound,since it`s wound a little hotter. The other is, Peter Biltoft fromVintage Vibe Pickups P 90 hum cancelling p/ups. I`ve pu these in a PRS SE Soapbar and what a difference! He also will custom wind them anyway you want. And at a price a player can afford.

Greenbacker
09-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks guys!

Maybe I should just get a decent P90 guitar too. I've been recording all nigt and I'm loving the sound of these mini hums...

I've been toying with the idea of buying these ridiculous $600 '68 p90's to put ito my deluxe, but I wonder if the sound would be all that different than say duncan antiquities or something? Or even the stock gibsons on a nice single cut LP special from the 90's.

Greenbacker
09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
...and just to clear it up, when I say punk, I'm talking like Buzzcocks, The Stooges and Television not more modern stuff...

funkle
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I love P90s. Don't overlook some of the great P90s from Lollar, Fralin and other small shop winders.

george4908
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
>>Maybe I should just get a decent P90 guitar too.

Yup. I love P-90s and I love minihumbuckers, but they're so different I'm not sure I'd want to mix and match on the same guitar. P-90s have the powerful midrange warmth, with some nasty hair on the high end when pushed. Minihumbuckers are much more scooped sounding by comparison, clearer and spanky on the top end. For clean playing, the P-90s are warm and make a fine jazz pickup; a minihumbucker is almost Tele-like by comparison, with a real steeliness about it.

I can't speak for the older Gibson minihumbuckers as it's been a long time since I spent any real time with them, but I have not had a bridge/neck imbalance issue with any of my minihumbuckered guitars. Both the Dimarzio minibuckers (which I prefer) and the Duncans come in matched sets with slightly hotter bridges, as do the Tom Andersons, also a fine minihumbucker. In fact, the footprint of the Anderson bridge pickup is actually a touch larger than the neck/middle.

JDW3
10-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Superb idea- gets you the best of both worlds, too. P90s really love the neck position but can sound a little brittle/thin in the bridge... HBs always sound better in the bridge to my ears, especially when you're using gain...

I've actually noticed the opposite; my '73 LP has the Fattest neck tone. I had to find a good HB (bridge) to keep up with it. It's one of the best tones I get out of all my guitars for recording.

The mini had too much bass; I finally checked and noticed it had 250K pots. Swap those for 500K and they'll scream.

socalscott
10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
NOS Bill Lawrence MH can be had up to 14K. Check evilbay. They use A5 mags, not ceramic. That's a good thing. Duncan's hotter model uses ceramic.

Bank Roberts
10-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I think you should keep the guitar as is and buy one with p90s. They sound different and will be useful for different things.

If you end up either puting p90 in the deluxe or you just get replacements for another guitar I recommend the Lollars. Big improvement over stock new gibsons with depth and magic.