PDA

View Full Version : Best Boutique Marshall Style Amp

gregory49
11-02-2007, 01:08 AM
So, I want something that can cover a lot of ground. I play a lot of Blues/Rock. Some of my fav sounds are from Hendrix, Doyle Bramhall II,
SRV, Eric Johnson(fav Lead Tone ever) , and Joe Bonamassa.

The main Two I've been considering are a Metro Superbass Copy and the Monterey from Germino!!! But I'm open to any options. I know EJ is using a new Marshall plexi for his lead sound and it sounds amazing.

Thanks!!

Purplexi
11-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Metro Superbass or 67 JTM 45/100 plexi.

abergdahl
11-02-2007, 01:56 AM
I have the luck of being able to borrow a Custom By Cougar Cherokee, and it is an amazing amp. I immediately started to play AC/DC riffs when i plugged i HB guitar. Trying a strat neck pickup gave me an amazing Hendrix semi clean sound. A very dynamic amp as well responds at LEAST as good to you're playing as a truly great PLexi or Jtm45. Overall my opinion on this amp is that it gives all an old plexi could give but better, more mojo more shimmer to the tone. Now I need to save to buy one..

Contact Tommy cougar here: www.custombycougar.com (http://www.custombycougar.com)

(Yes I only have Cougar amps, i have paid for all 5 as have all of Cuogars customers. Tommy makes my favorite amps in the world, prefer them over Komet, skrydstrup, Germino etc)

gregory49
11-02-2007, 02:00 AM
shippings not cheap from Sweden to Canada :) . Looking for something a little more local.

Tag
11-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Bruno Bulldog 45 with reverb.
If you love vintage Marshall sounds with a little extra gain, a MUCH better clean tone, no ice pick and killer verb, this is the amp you want! NO MV though.

:RoCkIn

gregory49
11-02-2007, 02:39 AM
to be honest i really don't want/need a master volume amp anyway, all the dirt will be handled by pedals. I'm mainly looking for a 100 watt amp as well.

HeeHaw
11-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Reinhardt Vintage 50 or 100. No pesky fx loops or master volumes. You just turn it up and use the volume on your guitar to control the whole thing.

dankayaker
11-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Germino & Aiken in my experience.

Trout
11-02-2007, 06:52 AM
+1 for Metro.

I have a 100W SL RI with a Metro PTP conversion and it comes very close to an original.(I have an original PTP 1973 SL also)

BTW, one of Joe Bonamassa's old 1974 SL's was just on ebay. If the guys listing was honest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200165464453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Could that have been a PCB amp? In late 1973 they switched over to PCB's. It was interesting the guy never showed the guts in his listing.

Trout

gi doc
11-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Top Hat Emplexador II
Straub Cantus
Germino Club 40
Aiken.......probably in that order

FFTT
11-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Reeves Custom 50/100 Custom Lead or CP103

Reinhardt

Divided By 13 LDW17/39 or the RSA23

Bad Cat Hot Cat 100 or Lynx

fusionbear
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Mojave Peacemaker

sickboy79
11-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Top Hat Emplexador

pickaguitar
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Why not Steven at Category 5 amps? He makes amps for Joe Bonamassa...

http://www.category5amps.com/

58reissue
11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
These work for me?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1192.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1172.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1012.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/cid_621.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1155.jpg
:BEER

FFTT
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I have not heard them, but the specs on the Cat 5's are pretty impressive.

The Andrew is way cool!

Melodic Dreamer
11-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Germino club 40. Great amp for straight pedals.

Rothbardian
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I've heard great reviews all around about the TopHat Emplexador.

That would be my choice if I was going that route.

fusionbear
11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
The Emplexador is my fav. MV Marshall Clone, the Peacemaker is my fav. NMV clone, but an old Trem Marshall is a very nice amp if you can find one that is not modded and is affordable...

frankencat
11-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Another vote for the Emplexador.

remocity
11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Tophat Emplexador MkII
Germino
Reinhardt
Aiken
Metropoulos

gregory49
11-02-2007, 09:40 AM
keep in mind i want big loud semi clean tones for Jimi, Doyle and EJ sounds!

meterman
11-02-2007, 09:41 AM

the Vintage voicing on my Emplexador will get you right there, it's beautiful, with more flexibility in the EQ and voicing than many Marshall style amps and takes pedals very well. If you want more gain there is a Modern voicing that adds another gain stage for a more JCM800 style sound that also rocks. But I spend 90% of my time on the Vintage side for the big cleans that you describe and kick in a fuzz or a TIM for leads or crunch....

RC2
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
What you're describing is the Reinhardt Vintage.

908SSP
11-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Metro Superbass

eddie101
11-02-2007, 09:51 AM
100W amp? Where do you play mostly?

If you play in small/medium sized venues, Pete Cage amps get my vote.

http://www.audiocage.com/index.shtml

I just got his SOP - scan o plex - amp and I am still in awe of its tone. Amazing amp coming from a FAB tech, who also happens to be a great guy. You just can't go wrong, IMHO. Want Loud/Clean? Turn it up and watch/feel your ear drums melt....:D

Clashcityrocker
11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
My vote goes to the Hoffmann 15, not really a clone but does the vintage Marshall distortion thing really good.

gregory49
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
as far as I'm concerned 100 watts/50 watts theres no dif besides head rooom. I'll probably be attenuating it anyway.

what does everyone think of the marshall JH100?

rawkguitarist
11-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure why someone would need a 100 watt Marshall set clean with pedals. Bare in mind that depending on what tone you're after if you need any clarity a Plexi style amp set clean can sound quite dark or quite harsh. It's even hard getting a 50 watt plexi set clean at a volume that won't blow everyone's head off in *most* gigging/rehearsal situations. Believe me a 50 watt plexi used to be my gig amp... for pretty large venues too.

Eventually I'm going to get a 50 watt Marshall type amp again. The two I'm cosidering are:

TopHat Emplexador MkII
/13 LDW 17/39

Either of these will probalby be one of the sweetest amps you've ever heard.

ricoh
11-02-2007, 11:00 AM
www.germinoamps.com (http://www.germinoamps.com)

Monterey Classic
Fillmore Classic
Headroom 100

Take your pick!!!!!!!!!!!

gregory49
11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm not saying it has to be a hundred watts. Its just thats where it seems that the magic is. But it sounds preatty good right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybiYxby2ZY

Glaze
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
So, I want something that can cover a lot of ground. I play a lot of Blues/Rock. Some of my fav sounds are from Hendrix, Doyle Bramhall II,

The main Two I've been considering are a Metro Superbass Copy and the Monterey from Germino!!! But I'm open to any options. I know EJ is using a new Marshall plexi for his lead sound and it sounds amazing.

Thanks!!

Sounds like you like Eric Johnson. I've seen him play live three times and met him once. The last time I seen him play live here he was using a Fulton Webb amp with a Fender amp. My favorite lead tone Eric ever had was when he used the 100 watt vintage Marshalls, but of course he pretty much stopped using those due to volume concerns and his hearing.

I've owned vintage Marshalls in the past and actually have not heard a non master volume Marshall amp clone that sounds exactly like a good Marshall, but I have not tried a Metro amp or a Germino. I have been looking for a Marshall clone that sounds as good as the best Marshall I ever owned, but I never have found it yet and there are several amp companies making Marshall clones now that I have not tried.

The best amp I've played that is a master volume amp for the modded Marshall tones is the Bogner Ecstasy. Non master volume amps are my favorite amps tonally though. The closest I have ever heard Eddie Van Halen's tone nailed by anyone on the net is by a guy who built a Metro and posted audio clips on the Metro board of every transformer and circuit change he did to his Metro amp(he pretty much nailed that tone almost exact and he is a good player also). Several of the audio clips on the Metro site are very impressive and it's worth listening to. I think Metro is a very good option for a guy who does not mind building his own amp.

Now if I could plug into a Marshall Plexi clone that sounded incredible I would buy it on the spot. The kind of incredible that a Victoria 4x10 Bassman clone is compared to the original 50's Fender tweed 4x10 Bassman. I just have not found the company who is really nailing it down in the best of the best vintage Marshall Plexi tone department.

I have found some incredible amps, but they were not Marshall clones. A Victoria 4x10 Bassman is incredible. A Komet is incredible. A Dr Z Route 66 sounds really good, but it's not a Marshall clone.

Mike

justonwo
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Several of the audio clips on the Metro site are very impressive and it's worth listening to. I think Metro is a very good option for a guy who does not mind building his own amp. Mike

Be aware, if you go the Metro route, that George has gotten very busy in the last year. When I had red plating problems with my Super Lead last year, George was no help whatsoever. It took more than a week for him to reply to email, and he never answered the phone. Most of the time, his emails were very short and, to be honest, not terribly helpful. The forum can be a big help, but it's also a very small forum so answers can be few and far between.

Things might have changed if George has hired more help. Though I love his products, the service, IMO, is lacking. You should just be aware of this before you jump into building an amp.

(By the way, it turns out the red plating was a result of modern tubes that can't handle Super Lead plate voltages. That's another thing to watch out for. The SEDs definitely couldn't handle 490 VDC).

eddie101
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
as far as I'm concerned 100 watts/50 watts theres no dif besides head rooom. I'll probably be attenuating it anyway.

To be more specific, the difference is 3 db on a power curve. Only 3 db but there is a noticeable head room nonetheless.

fusionbear
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you like Eric Johnson. I've seen him play live three times and met him once. The last time I seen him play live here he was using a Fulton Webb amp with a Fender amp. My favorite lead tone Eric ever had was when he used the 100 watt vintage Marshalls, but of course he pretty much stopped using those due to volume concerns and his hearing.
Mike

Hah! I saw EJ last month at the Coach House in SJC, CA and he had his 100 watt Marshall's FULL BLAST! Thank God I had earplugs for both my wife and I....:jo

vanborgen
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
GERMINO!! I have a great deal of experience with the Lead 55, which is completely bomb-proof and sounds amazing. Greg is a great guy and always does whatever he can to help anyone who contacts him. Absolutely top notch service, the best!!

Roe
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
a metro jtm50 or jmp 50 bass

Glaze
11-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Hah! I saw EJ last month at the Coach House in SJC, CA and he had his 100 watt Marshall's FULL BLAST! Thank God I had earplugs for both my wife and I....:jo

There's nothing like hearing him through the 100 watt Marshalls. The last show I seen him play was not that loud at all which was actually nice, but I miss the tone he had with the 100 watt Marshalls.

Mike

Glaze
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Be aware, if you go the Metro route, that George has gotten very busy in the last year. When I had red plating problems with my Super Lead last year, George was no help whatsoever. It took more than a week for him to reply to email, and he never answered the phone. Most of the time, his emails were very short and, to be honest, not terribly helpful. The forum can be a big help, but it's also a very small forum so answers can be few and far between.

Things might have changed if George has hired more help. Though I love his products, the service, IMO, is lacking. You should just be aware of this before you jump into building an amp.

(By the way, it turns out the red plating was a result of modern tubes that can't handle Super Lead plate voltages. That's another thing to watch out for. The SEDs definitely couldn't handle 490 VDC).

Justonwo

Just out of curiosity: How good are the instructions that came with the Metro amp? How much do you like your Metro? I understand there is only so much one guy can do and he might be spreading himself thin time wise, but he did solve the problem eventually? What are his kits lacking if anything?

Mike

meterman
11-02-2007, 02:24 PM

I played one for about an hour in a very cool store that let me crank it up to about 5 (loud!) and try different axes...amazing amp, beautiful 'cleans' with a Strat, the KT66s add some fatness and there are supposed to be some other mods to fatten it up. I was very impressed, but of course the full stack was about six grand....

willfulmurder
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Roccaforte Custom series is awesome.

meterman
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
There's nothing like hearing him through the 100 watt Marshalls. The last show I seen him play was not that loud at all which was actually nice, but I miss the tone he had with the 100 watt Marshalls.

Mike

I thought I read he was using them again, having tried the 50w because of hearing/volume concerns but ultimately not being satisfied and going back to the 100w? Could be an old interview though, maybe he's back to 50s but that HC video somebody posted he mentioned that he's using a new HW Superlead and had been messing around with the Jimi sig model which is also 100w...

Roe
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
the metro jtm45 instructions are very good. the old superlead/bass is not so good. the new jmp50 instruction will prob be even better than the jtm45 instructions

Cokemachine
11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
If you're looking for a straight up Plexi clone, grab a Metro amp and look to the Metro forum for tweaks. As some have already mentioned, the people on the Metro forum are great and have already amassed a wealth of knowledge.

Given the amount of ground that you're looking to cover, I'd suggest looking for something a little more versatile than just a plexi clone. My recommendation is that you check the Peters Polaris - plexi tone and feel with one of the best master volumes out there, plus it has a surprisingly stellar clean channel. I don't believe that James Peters advertises 100watt models anymore, but I do know that it is an option. They're Canadian made too, so that's a bonus for you as well. For the money, they are still one of the best boutique values out there.

gregory49
11-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Be aware, if you go the Metro route, that George has gotten very busy in the last year..

he's building it not me.

justonwo
11-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Justonwo

Just out of curiosity: How good are the instructions that came with the Metro amp? How much do you like your Metro? I understand there is only so much one guy can do and he might be spreading himself thin time wise, but he did solve the problem eventually? What are his kits lacking if anything?

Mike

The instructions are quite good and the amp sounds phenomenal. I did eventually figure out what was going on, but only because of the very generous time and help of John Phillips and Randall Aiken, who followed a very long and detailed thread with me. His kits aren't really lacking anything.

As with any amp build, if something goes wrong when you're done, it can be very hard to troubleshoot with limited experience. I don't fault George for not helping me . . . I understand he's just one guy. I'm just saying don't count on him to be there day and night if you have an issue. He didn't really help me sort my problems out.

In the end, the issue wasn't really the amp, per se. It was the modern production tubes. They can't quite handle 490 VDC plate voltages over the entire operating range without red plating at least a little (SEDs were terrible. JJs are much better.)

gixxerrock
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a really nice vintage Marshall and a THD Flexi. I have been alternating between them when jamming lately, and have been able to get the Flexi to sound jaw-droppingly good under a wide variety of circumstances while the Marshall has one really good trick. It is not for everyone, but for the right person, it is the perfect amp.

Shawn.

gregory49
11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah. I want that one trick. Sounds silly but I'm not looking for something versatile. Tried that. I'm leaning towards that JH100 stack now. If i can get my hands on one.

tantramar
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Soultone 45 or Soultone Wilbur. I have the wilbur. Best marshall tone I've ever heard.

pickslide
11-02-2007, 09:20 PM
What about Blankenship or Blockhead?

Roccaforte Amps
11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
The instructions are quite good and the amp sounds phenomenal. I did eventually figure out what was going on, but only because of the very generous time and help of John Phillips and Randall Aiken, who followed a very long and detailed thread with me. His kits aren't really lacking anything.

As with any amp build, if something goes wrong when you're done, it can be very hard to troubleshoot with limited experience. I don't fault George for not helping me . . . I understand he's just one guy. I'm just saying don't count on him to be there day and night if you have an issue. He didn't really help me sort my problems out.

In the end, the issue wasn't really the amp, per se. It was the modern production tubes. They can't quite handle 490 VDC plate voltages over the entire operating range without red plating at least a little (SEDs were terrible. JJs are much better.)

I run SED's(EL34) at and over 500V all day long.
It's the JJ' 34 you need to watch after 470V.
Biased correctly you should never see any red plating.

arfalax
11-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Soultone 45 or Soultone Wilbur. I have the wilbur. Best marshall tone I've ever heard.

+1 on the Wilbur. Put a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy NOS EL84s in it and it sings like a jailbird. Sounded really good with the stock JJs too.

twoheadedboy
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
If you're in Canada, check out www.morrisamps.com. In my opinion, they are the best amps presently produced in Canada

Purplexi
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Can't go wrong with a Marshall JH, HW or JTM 45/100 Lmt. Personally, I hate 50 watt Marshall heads. Hiwatt okay, 18, 45 watt Marshall combo's fine but you can't get quicker break up with a fifty unless you're rippin' heads off or kidding yourself. Less headroom, less power, no authority, no thank you. Make mine 100 or more.

gregory49
11-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Can't go wrong with a Marshall JH, HW or JTM 45/100 Lmt. Personally, I hate 50 watt Marshall heads. Hiwatt okay, 18, 45 watt Marshall combo's fine but you can't get quicker break up with a fifty unless you're rippin' heads off or kidding yourself. Less headroom, less power, no authority, no thank you. Make mine 100 or more.

I like that, Thanks for the reply. Any links to any specific amps? Would I still be able to buy a JH?

NatDeroxL7
11-03-2007, 12:20 AM
the Soultone 45 Super Quad would get you the headroom

is there a reason noone is mentioning bogners? I think my XTC can cop some sweet marshall style tones

se7en
11-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Bogner XTC 101b
Soldano SLO

justonwo
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Did you try putting 5.6k grid stopper resistors on all 4 output tubes? Red plating can be caused by parasitic oscillations. If my memory is correct, the metro kit instructions say to put 1.5k grid stoppers on the outer pair of tubes and no grid stoppers on the inner pair of tubes. Using 5.6k resistors on all 4 tubes will help greatly to reduce any parasitic oscillations without any change in tone. If you do decide to use them, be sure and make the resistor leads on the tube socket side as short as possible. You can also increase the value of the 47pf cap between the two sides of the phase inverter to 100pf to help with parasitic oscillations.

Yep, I changed the grid stopper resistors. The troubleshooting process was insanely long and we went through EVERY conceivable possibility. If Randall Aiken is convinced it's the tubes, that's good enough for me.

Here's the thread if anyone's interested. The last few pages has pictures of my scope while troubleshooting. Believe me, we looked at EVERYTHING.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=308155

gregory49
11-07-2007, 11:22 PM
bump. Metro VS Germino.???

fenderbender4
11-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Might want to add the Blankenship Variplex. Have not heard one myself, but people on HugeRacksInc are raving about them.

Roe
11-08-2007, 10:28 AM
for pedals: the jtm/(super)bass preamp. the later lead preamp doesnt take pedals so well.
if you dont need the 100w volume, punch and headroom, go with a 50w.

It sounds like you need a jtm50/club40 or a jmp50 bass.

Do you like a stiff amp or something looser and more open?

gregory49
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
thanks for your reply.i really don't know but i think i want a more stiff amp this time around my super reverb has the tube recto so its got all the flab i need lol.

I would prefer 100watts due to the head room. probably gonna pick up an ultimate attenuator as well.

Bo Faulkner
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
My club 40 does the Jimi/ Doyle stuff with ease .. EJ may require the super lead circuit not sure on this though.. I do know the club 40 is closer to a bass circuit than say a lead 55.. It can be set for beautiful clean.. The real plexis I have heard in person crunched up pretty quick with a les paul

Roe
11-09-2007, 12:20 PM
then you should go with a 1967 style lead amp with slightly higher filtering.

germino makes the first version (early 67) 100w with dual (ss) rectifiers while metro make the second (later 67 100w) with a single (ss) rectifier. the germino should have a slightly harder attack than the metro. some claim that the first version ot (early 67) sounds slightly smoother than the second version ot (later 67), other claim that you can't hear the difference

are you a strat player?

gregory49
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
its about 50/50.
Strats, Les Pauls.. Moslty Blues/ Jimi Style .. I love Doyle's Tone with the Superbass.

ButchR
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
www.germinoamps.com (http://www.germinoamps.com)

Monterey Classic
Fillmore Classic
Headroom 100

Take your pick!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said!:D

Roe
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
its about 50/50.
Strats, Les Pauls.. Moslty Blues/ Jimi Style .. I love Doyle's Tone with the Superbass.

then I'd get a 1967 style amp with a small bright cap - 100 or 250pf. 250pf can help with gibbies. the bright cap doesnt have an effect with full volume.

I'd recommend the standard jtm/superbass values, but 2 very slight mods in order to avoid muddy bass with les pauls:
- decrease the v1 catode resistor to 25uf or less
- decreas the PI coupling caps a bit to .047uf, .033uf or simular
this will remove bass in the sub guitar register (less 1.2hz-46hz)

Roe
11-09-2007, 01:37 PM
if you like doyle you should get the low filtering. it wont be flubby like a small fender combo

gregory49
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
low filtering??? sorry i don't know what much of that means?? including all the stuff about resistor values and all that.

Roe
11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
the early marshalls wasn't as loud, stiff and tight as the later ones. part of the reason for this is the filtering (filter caps)

gregory49
11-09-2007, 09:02 PM
thanks for all your input. I'm preatty sure I'm gonna go to Metro for this... and just bring a lot of different opinions and see what we can come up with.

Eskimo_Joe
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Germino

arcguitaro
11-09-2007, 10:26 PM
The best Marshall-style boutique amp I've ever played (and one I also own) is the TopHat Emplexador MKII. Truly a top of the line amp in all tonal aspects.

remocity
11-10-2007, 06:56 AM
The best Marshall-style boutique amp I've ever played (and one I also own) is the TopHat Emplexador MKII. Truly a top of the line amp in all tonal aspects.

+100

Jerrod
11-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I have the Germino Monterey Classic. It's a great amp w/ big round cleans and a little drive. Definitely would need pedals to get it gained out. If you decide to buy a Germino, call Greg to choose an amp. He'll tweak things a touch if necessary to get you what you want. He's a great guy, too.

ivan275
11-10-2007, 01:03 PM
+1000. It's just a great amp. And feels great even w/ the master relatively low.

However, I'm needing to sell my brand new MKII because there's no channel switching between its awesome tones. :( If you don't need the switching, you'd be hard-pressed for anything better.

andybaylor
11-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Carol Ann OD-2 will give any number of Marshall flavors.
From a JTM to a better than the orignal 800 sound.

KILLER cleans. Bunch o personality!

2x6L6
11-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Without even talking about the value - just for the tone - I bet you'd be happy with a Heritage Colonial. Phenomenal cleans, huge low end, totally tweakable from tweed Bassman to JTM45 to 50/100w Plexi, plus everything in between mix 'n matched. Really flexible without being confusing. The patent-applied-for switchable power supply (two different rectifier circuits) is very cool, as is the ability to select/mix UK or US tone stacks and preamp circuits.This amp can do all that and more and loves pedals as well. A creamsicle head recently failed to sell in the Emporium - I think it was only $1025. Masses haven't discovered these yet but they are killer.

http://www.heritageamplifiers.com/colonial.html

RACKDOCTOR
11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I really dig the Blankenship Variplex. It is a modeled after a 1968 Plexi.
Here are some demo clips of the amp.

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBq-A1atGY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBq-A1atGY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU1f9Chqms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU1f9Chqms)

jkr
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Nice Job on the clips Dave! I'm glad to see some more clips showing off the sound of the Variplex. I'm enjoying mine tremendously. Little to no GAS since I got it (and that's a quite a statement coming from someone who is super tone picky!).

zekmoe
11-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I'll put my vote in for Reinhardt. It's the only amp in the last 10 years which has replaced my DC-30 as my Number 1.

BadAssBill
11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Thanks!!

I'm not going to read the whole thread...but what kind of "Botique Marshall Amps" do you think the guys you mentioned play? Plexi's aside, there are real Marshalls out there that the above named players used. My JCM clean gets really great SRV Little Wing kinda sounds.

guitarvc
11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
I love my Egnater Mod 50 with the TD and SL2 modules. The SL2 nails those 80's hot rodded Marshall style tones, much like the blue and red channel of the Bogner XTC. I also really like the Bogner and Soldano amps. They sound like a Marshall should!!

bstranathan
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
is there any amp or any builder that could swap a late 60s superbass circuit in a 2x12 combo chassis

gregory49
11-16-2007, 08:08 PM
good question..

guitardr
11-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Seems to me that Scott Henderson, Michael Landau, Steve Lukather and plenty of others are playing the 'you-know-what' out of Custom Audio Electronics OD-100 models. The amps got killer reviews in a GP 100 watt shoot-out back in March-2006. Go to Harmony Central and see for yourself. Or go to John Suhr's web site & see/hear for yourself.

wichita
11-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Well I hate to be biased as I am a dealer...I said it DEALER :)
But....
The Carol Ann does do the big huge Steel String Singer Eric and Stevie tones as well as the Marshall thing with more touch sensitivity in the lead channel along with a switchable mid boost, effects loop and separate Master Volumes for each channel that actually work.
This amp could be a good solution for what you are after.

This is NOT a Dumble clone and does not do the Robin Ford thing in the lead channel. The Lead channel is more Marshall than most Marshall's but just has tons more going on.

Roe
11-17-2007, 08:31 AM
is there any amp or any builder that could swap a late 60s superbass circuit in a 2x12 combo chassis

ask mojo if it will fit their bb cab

guitardr
11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Wichita has grounds for righteous correction on me...
That Carol-Ann stuff has some harmonious tones-amen.:D

bilbal
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
These work for me?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1192.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1172.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1012.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/cid_621.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/100_1155.jpg
:BEER

Sick stuff!!!

wichita
01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
The CAT 5 amp that I played last week that does Plexi and JTM 45 tones is really incredible.
It has reverb which surprisingly sounds great, and two effects loops along with a mid boost.
Great sounding amp and power scaled to boot.

bstranathan
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Which Metroamp would you recommend for early jimi/bramhall tones:
'66 jtm100, late 66/early67 100W, or a 67 superbass?

Fifthstone
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Greg Germino does some of the very best Marshall's ever. The quality and tone is awe inspiring. His Classic 45 is the finest JTM 45 style amp I've ever played, and I've played several vintage 45's. You can't go wrong with them. Seriously.

motrock
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I really dig the Blankenship Variplex. It is a modeled after a 1968 Plexi.
Here are some demo clips of the amp.

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBq-A1atGY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBq-A1atGY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU1f9Chqms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU1f9Chqms)

Mine will be here on Tuesday... according to FedEx!:AOK

Roe
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Which Metroamp would you recommend for early jimi/bramhall tones:
'66 jtm100, late 66/early67 100W, or a 67 superbass?

bramhall - 67
hendrix - 66 for are you experienced and the early concerts and 67 for the later concerts and the dirty sounds on axis bold as love

todd richman
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Lance, what was the CAT5 model called? I have talked to Don from CAT5 a few times-good peeps -and his amps are very versatile for the Marshall-esque tones-would love to try a Bonamassa Sig Head one day when I need 100 watts of power again. P.S. It will be on its way to you soon-you know what I am talking about!!

wichita
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Which one?

todd richman
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
The one you said sounds like a plexi and 45.

amp boy
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
you want local.......
http://www.stephensonamps.com/
http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/

Peppy
07-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Quidley amps are worth a listen. www.quidleyamps.com (http://www.quidleyamps.com)

bstranathan
07-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Which el34's do you prefer in your 67-69 plexis? Mullard, tesla, etc....

ronmail65
07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Maybe too much gain for you, but I went from Marshall Master Volume JMPs to Splawn amps and have never looked back. Amazing tone, 2 channels, 3 gain stages, and a solo boost. It is far more versatile than anything else I've read about in this thread so far. You really should look into them.

gregory49
07-27-2008, 07:40 PM
to much gain. but i'll be going for an original superbass or a germino. probably both. I just want to avoid customs fees gross. Anyone have any solutions to customs fees for expensive amps.

bstranathan
07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
to much gain. but i'll be going for an original superbass or a germino. probably both. I just want to avoid customs fees gross. Anyone have any solutions to customs fees for expensive amps.

im pretty sure im gettna metro 67 superbass, just not sure what el34s i want in it.

gregory49
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Metros are great to no doubt. i'd love to have all three.

Roe
07-28-2008, 07:54 AM
you'll awaid custom fees if the sender declares a low value (or in some countries sends it as a gift)

gregory49
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
that will work even with a five thousand dollar amp? I think theres a way with UPS where they handle the custom fees for you. I'm not sure :(

markom89
07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
The sender can declare a $5000 amp at $50 if he (and the buyer) wants...
At $50, with UPS, you'd pay minimal brokerage/taxes (like $10 or something), but if something were to happen to the amp you'd be royally screwed. I've had $1500 items declared at $50 and nothing ever happened- several times!

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Any recommendations here on a boutique that really nails that Marshall tone and has:

- 2-3 channels
- effects loop
- reverb (ideally)
- Good at mid-lower volumes (need to manage that stage volume!)
- Around 50 lbs or under...

traynor_garnet
03-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Sent you this via an email but it failed to deliver.

I'm selling something that I think is perfect for what you are looking for:=A0=20

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=3D679177

Seriously, I have stood in a room and directly compared this to vintage Marshall and Fenders and this beat them! Beatuiful glassy cleans and unbelivable full on raunch. I won't give you the hard sell, but this amp will only go up in value as it is a very early unit.

Let me know,
TG (in Canada)

SgtThump
03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Any recommendations here on a boutique that really nails that Marshall tone and has:

- 2-3 channels
- effects loop
- reverb (ideally)
- Good at mid-lower volumes (need to manage that stage volume!)
- Around 50 lbs or under...

Yes. That describes the Landry LS100.

SgtThump
03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
To the OP - Since you're not going to use amp distortion, I'd just get a Fender Bassman 410 combo and spend the rest of the money on killer pedals.

tritone 6
03-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Germino.

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes. That describes the Landry LS100.

Oh yeah....50 lbs includes a 1x12 combo...sorry forgot to mention.

SgtThump
03-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah....50 lbs includes a 1x12 combo...sorry forgot to mention.

Oh, I see. Good luck with that one! :)

Now that I think about it, I bet the Landry LS100 head alone is over 50lbs.

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Oh, I see. Good luck with that one! :)

Now that I think about it, I bet the Landry LS100 head alone is over 50lbs.

yeah....also, the geronimos dont have multiple channels and are close to 70 lbs for the combo.

doesn't anyone make a Marshall TSL601 better and lighter than Marshall?

SgtThump
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
yeah....also, the geronimos dont have multiple channels and are close to 70 lbs for the combo.

doesn't anyone make a Marshall TSL601 better and lighter than Marshall?

Check out an Egnater Renegade. That's my suggestion.

DonW
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Great time to be looking for an amp because choices are plentiful and everything mentioned is on the mark. I haven't seen Maven Peal mentioned but a Tuscadero would fit the bill nicely. A used one that is if you can find one, they come up here once in a while. You could maybe get one built but as with anything boutique it wouldn't be cheap although the quailty would be top shelf.

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Great time to be looking for an amp because choices are plentiful and everything mentioned is on the mark. I haven't seen Maven Peal mentioned but a Tuscadero would fit the bill nicely. A used one that is if you can find one, they come up here once in a while. You could maybe get one built but as with anything boutique it wouldn't be cheap although the quailty would be top shelf.

How many channels does it have and what shaping abilities per each channel? Effects loop?

The website is a little limited in details.

tonefinger
03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
If you're looking for that Marshall sound, why not get a Marshall?

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
If you're looking for that Marshall sound, why not get a Marshall?

Well...they seem to have "varying" quality and some questionable post sale service so I'd rather go with a boutique and pay a little more but have fewer hassles.

Something TSL601 ish that is lighter (and better tone both dirty and cleans) would be cool...

tritone 6
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
budda sd 30

tritone 6
03-13-2010, 12:56 PM
or sd45

tritone 6
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Check out Reinhardt too

wichita
03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
If I haven't said it before I will say Metropolous
the best.

EastCoastRocker
03-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Well...they seem to have "varying" quality and some questionable post sale service so I'd rather go with a boutique and pay a little more but have fewer hassles.

Something TSL601 ish that is lighter (and better tone both dirty and cleans) would be cool...

Not trying to be a jerk but a TSL is not what people are thinking when they say "the Marshall sound" . A JTM45,plexi, or 800 is more like it....

690MBCOMMANDO
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Not trying to be a jerk but a TSL is not what people are thinking when they say "the Marshall sound" . A JTM45,plexi, or 800 is more like it....

I don't take offense, but referring more about functionality than tone (totally agree with you on the JTP45, plexi and 800 btw)

lang.murphy
03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Reeves Custom 10 HG

CALI68
03-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Metropoulos

-Chris

Bluedawg
03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
This is a 2.5 year old thread and it still makes me want an Emplexador

My Top Hat King Royale is really grwoing on me.

:bonk

690MBCOMMANDO
03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Channel switching and effects loop on these guys?

690MBCOMMANDO
03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Anyone tried a Koch Studiotone XL?

Roe
03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
having tried many kochs and owned one for 5 years or so, I wouldn't even consider it for marshall tone

daveg777
03-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I have a Whitney Penta 66 that is just amazing! Single channel monster! I highly recommend you contacting Michael Whitney to get any of his fine amps built...

Dave

SkydogFan81
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
germino

EastCoastRocker
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't take offense, but referring more about functionality than tone (totally agree with you on the JTP45, plexi and 800 btw)

got 'ya !
I own a Marshall DSL for that same "functionality" reason.
It covers a lot of ground well. A very useful gigging amp.

My best sounding Marshall is my Mojave ;-)

Wolf Static
03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Get a Dave Friedman Marsha... this amp is in its own league.

SReynolds
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Germinio. Gregs Lead55 puts out the best Marshall tone I've heard. I heard one a couple weeks ago and can't get it outa my mind. My next amp.

EastCoastRocker
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Get a Dave Friedman Marsha... this amp is in its own league.

Friedman Marsha.... Yea Baby !