PDA

View Full Version : differences between Big Muff and Fuzz Face type fuzzes?

driches
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm trying to educate myself on fuzzes more before plunging into them. I read about these two (Big Muff and Fuzz Face) as being the primary types of fuzz. Can someone describe each's sound, comparing and contrasting?

Maybe some examples of artists/songs that use each (and if possible, staying away from classic rock and blues for examples--i know people bring up people like hendrix, SRV, Clapton, etc., but they're not really my thing and don't know much about their tones).

I'm kind of looking for a smooth singing lead tone with a lot of sustain, and something that sounds big and compressed with chords.

fuzz tones i can think of off hand liking are "I'm the Man Who Loves You" by Wilco and the fast version of "revolution" (yeah, i know that was guitar directly into soundboard, but not really an option for me...)

Guitar Josh
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Silicon (BMP) - associated with the Wall of Fuzz type sound, round, bassy. Cleans up as well as a five dollar whore on payday.

Germanium (FF) - associated with the sharp, attacking type fuzz, cleans up well (normally), very midrangey to trebly.

Lolaviola
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.sweetsound.com/fuzzes.htm

I think for what you describe you should check the Big Muff Pi, or a copy. There is also the "Tone Bender" style fuzz which kinda walks the line between heavy (Muff) and Classic (Fuzz Face)

Uma Floresta
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm kind of looking for a smooth singing lead tone with a lot of sustain, and something that sounds big and compressed with chords.

Sounds like you want something in the Big Muff family.

driches
11-07-2007, 01:53 PM
is one fuzzier than the other, if that makes sense? i would assume the more crackly, fuzzier "spirit in the sky" torn speaker type fuzz is the Fuzz Face type?

Guitar Josh
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
is one fuzzier than the other, if that makes sense? i would assume the more crackly, fuzzier "spirit in the sky" torn speaker type fuzz is the Fuzz Face type?

I bet you get that tone with a BMP alot easier than a FF.

pacomc79
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I think you are going to trend more towards the big muff style than the fuzz face.

also see Univox Superfuzz. Peppermint Fuzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite. Jordan Bosstone and the Flying Tomato Fuzz or other fuzzes where you can adjust the Voltage like the Durham Crazy Horse.

driches
11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
okay, sounds like big muff....

assuming i don't get an actual big muff, what's a good boutique clone to get, for under $150?

Guitar Josh
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
okay, sounds like big muff....

assuming i don't get an actual big muff, what's a good boutique clone to get, for under $150?

There are so so many. Start with a NYC EH Muff, and work from there.

mewithoutlouie
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
There are so so many. Start with a NYC EH Muff, and work from there.

any other options?

Soothsayer
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Tonefactor Huckleberry.

Rumblefish
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Ronsound Hairpie.

infiniteposse
11-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Check out the new Barber Trifecta. I got mine a few days ago and it does exactly what you're looking for and then some. $150 on the dot...

http://www.barberelectronics.com/