PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for new speakers to break in?

imguitardan
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I just got some "pre-rola" Weber's (ceramic Silver & Blue). They sound pretty tight and have about 8 hours playing on them. How much longer before they loosen up. I'm really not liking them...

imguitardan
11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Really...Anyone?

Tinman
11-10-2007, 05:19 PM
How long it takes depends on lots of things. How are you breaking them in?

rockon1
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Depends on the speaker. My G12H-30's didnt start to warm up until I got 40-50 hours on them! Even then they seem to have smoothed out considerably since then. The harder they are pushed the faster they will break in. I'd give them at least 20 hours hard use before I made a judgement. bob

RDM
11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
My Webers broke in after about 15 hours.....but I had my amp cranked loud. I had to wear earplugs....but......it worked.

Aussie Mike
11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Isn't it a gradual process? Shouldn't you hear some change after 8 hours?

rockon1
11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Isn't it a gradual process? Shouldn't you hear some change after 8 hours?

Maybe- depends on the volume. Lower volumes might do little to futher break in. Also since the change my be gradual(even at high volumes) it might be hard to notice in only 8 hours. Besides whats to lose in pounding them for another 8? Bob

The Pup
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp

How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.
Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.
Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

dbeeman
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
My experience with Webers is they take a good while to break in.
I actually sold my first alnico blue dog before it broke it because
"it didn't sound right".

My guess is up to 40 hours of good loud playing

rockon1
11-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.
Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.
Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

Ive read that before. Didnt do much for my G12H-30's thats for sure. The hardset speaker Ive broken in yet! Bob

The Pup
11-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Remember, not all G12H speakers are created the same:

...this one is very smooth, but cost $219.00:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/G12H319937.jpg

...this is not smooth (spikey and fizzy) and is $129.00:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/319942.jpg

http://www.musician.com/navigation?q=g12h

rockon1
11-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Got it.

Lamont
11-10-2007, 08:31 PM
It takes a good 20 hrs of playing in most cases,,Ive also heard that taking a radio and just putting some vibes through them helps .. Also . the dopeing amount can make a speaker sound alot better right off the bat . But just some old time playing , amps also take some breaking in as well .

GCDEF
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM

Sounds like you're overthinking it a little to me.

The Pup
11-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like you're overthinking it a little to me.

I think you are under reading it a little to me.

Those aren't my words.
http://professional.celestion.com/gu...ibel/index.asp

GCDEF
11-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I think you are under reading it a little to me.

Those aren't my words.
http://professional.celestion.com/gu...ibel/index.asp

Somebody's overthinking it.

The Pup
11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
It takes a good 20 hrs of playing in most cases,,Ive also heard that taking a radio and just putting some vibes through them helps .. Also . the dopeing amount can make a speaker sound alot better right off the bat . But just some old time playing , amps also take some breaking in as well .

I've witnessed Celestion Blues taking the better part of a year to get in the sweet spot. But, you can get them pretty close in far less time.

The Pup
11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Somebody's overthinking it.

Fair enough.

RDM
11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
It's not hard to break in speakers. You plug your guitar in....crank it up...and play. How loud you play will help determine when the speakers break in. For some...it's gradual. WIth my new Webers....it's was an earth shattering experience.

The Pup
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
It's not hard to break in speakers. You plug your guitar in....crank it up...and play. How loud you play will help determine when the speakers break in. For some...it's gradual. WIth my new Webers....it's was an earth shattering experience.

I have an original Weber Blue Dog (although they were called something else back then) 16-ohm no dope 12 inch speaker that is more important tone-wise to me than any other piece of equipment I own...including amps, guitars, pedals, etc.

I've also got a 4x12 Vox "type" setup with a Weber Blue Dog Silver Bell diagonal mix...talk about earth shattering chime!!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_0614sm.jpg

Serious Poo
11-10-2007, 10:14 PM
My Tone Tubby hempcones sounded flat and shrill when I first got them, but after a few weeks they started to get noticeably better. It's kind of hard to hear the difference when you play them everyday, but I'd say it probably took 3-4 months for them to break in all the way.

Iceman8.6
11-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I just got some "pre-rola" Weber's (ceramic Silver & Blue). They sound pretty tight and have about 8 hours playing on them. How much longer before they loosen up. I'm really not liking them...

Weber will break them in for u if u tell them too....they run them on a variac for awhile....they did my 1225's that way and they sound great straight out of the box.

Iceman8.6
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Remember, not all G12H speakers are created the same:

...this one is very smooth, but cost $219.00:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/G12H319937.jpg

...this is not smooth (spikey and fizzy) and is $129.00:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/319942.jpg

http://www.musician.com/navigation?q=g12h

Why would you pay $219 for that Heritage G12H when Avatar will sell you that same speaker for $179 plus $8 for shipping?? I think that other speaker is 20 or 30 bucks cheaper also. I don't get it??

The Pup
11-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Why would you pay $219 for that Heritage G12H when Avatar will sell you that same speaker for $179 plus $8 for shipping?? I think that other speaker is 20 or 30 bucks cheaper also. I don't get it??I suppose no one would then.

I got four of them in a nice Birch back 1960HWB cab delivered new in a box for $800 as a present from wife...I think I did ok.

The Pup
11-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Weber will break them in for u if u tell them too....they run them on a variac for awhile....they did my 1225's that way and they sound great straight out of the box.

I have Weber break in all of my speakers I buy from them...but it still is not quite broke in yet. Would you agree?

Iceman8.6
11-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I have Weber break in all of my speakers I buy from them...but it still is not quite broke in yet. Would you agree?

I know they don't. When I told them to break my mine in they told me they don't completely break them in. They get the process started. It does help straight out of the box though. Avatar does the same thing with there hellatones by breaking them in for 15 hours. At least that seems to be the amount of time I remember them saying.

phoenix 7
11-11-2007, 12:08 AM
The Celestion Gold in my new Clark sounded like my amp had a cold. After playing at pretty loud volumes (sometimes diming the amp) for 3-4 hours, the speaker already sounds noticeably better. But it's got a ways to go.

The Pup
11-11-2007, 12:18 AM
The Celestion Gold in my new Clark sounded like my amp had a cold. After playing at pretty loud volumes (sometimes diming the amp) for 3-4 hours, the speaker already sounds noticeably better. But it's got a ways to go.It would be cool to know how long it takes to get that speaker broke in. But, it wouldn't be very scientific or academic with all of the different variables, amp, pickups, guitar, strings, playing style, hours per day, number of days, etc...but keep us posted if you can remember.

phoenix 7
11-11-2007, 12:58 PM
It would be cool to know how long it takes to get that speaker broke in. But, it wouldn't be very scientific or academic with all of the different variables, amp, pickups, guitar, strings, playing style, hours per day, number of days, etc...but keep us posted if you can remember.

Will do! It's fun to have a good excuse to blast the hell out of an amp (which I did for another hour this AM) -- other than the sheer fun of it.

phoenix 7
11-11-2007, 04:32 PM
It would be cool to know how long it takes to get that speaker broke in. But, it wouldn't be very scientific or academic with all of the different variables, amp, pickups, guitar, strings, playing style, hours per day, number of days, etc...but keep us posted if you can remember.

Update: I've got about 6 hours on the Celestion Gold now at about gig volume and louder. It sounds really good now, though certainly not 100%. Like night and day from when I first plugged in. Nice to know it will get even better. I'm thinking that this Beaufort is going to sound pretty incredible.

jezzzz2003
11-11-2007, 04:48 PM

I find it hard to believe that after 15 minutes of loud playing, your new speakers will be 95% of the way in, its just not true!
whats up with that?

The Pup
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
I find it hard to believe that after 15 minutes of loud playing, your new speakers will be 95% of the way in, its just not true!
whats up with that?

How about 59%? :)

BBQLS1
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Weber will break them in some for you if you ask when you order.

The Pup
11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Weber will break them in some for you if you ask when you order.Yep...their about 92.25% broken-in upon receipt.

rockon1
11-11-2007, 05:29 PM
whats up with that?

Well from personal experience it just isnt! Bob

Purplexi
11-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I have a pair if "hemp re-coned" Celestion V30's from Tone Tubby( A Broun Sound of San Raphael Calif.)that were not breaking in. I borrowed a Digitech RP multi-effect pedal that had a drum machine feature. I ran it for several hours, on n'off for a weekend until I noticed a difference. You might have to be a little careful with levels but not as much as you'd think since this program was designed to run into a guitarist's amp for practice.

Rockin J
12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I've been trying to break in the speakers on my bassman ltd. The amp sounds good but the jensens are tight and bright. Trying to do this at high volume with this amp will cause ear damage for sure, it's loud. I tried a little trick the other day that worked great. I layed the amp face down on the carpeted floor and covered the rear with a big pillow except for the tube vents on the back cover. Then I turned the volume up pretty high and wailed away with some humbuckers. My ears were thanking me very much. After 20 minutes I sat the amp upright and played at low volume. Deffinantly looser and less brightness to the jensens after just 20 minutes. I think I will keep doing this for awhile as I have time and with the house to myself.

imguitardan
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
One other point for my situation. I changed the baffle on my Bassman 410 to a 212...I had them use a marshall style baffle and I think that's made the amp honkier and nasalier. It's hard to tell if it's the speakers or not. I'm ordered some vintage G12H30s which I plan to install and hope that'll make a difference...if not, I may need a new pine baffle made.

Randy Van Sykes
12-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Took me four loud gigs of pounding on my Celestion Blue to break it in.

digthosetubes
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Takes about 40 years or so for it to be really nicely broken in. Sometimes a little longer.

imguitardan
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I emailed Ted Weber about speaker break in and he said to hook the speakers up to a stereo, turn the treble down and bass up and turn it up until you can SEE speaker movement and let it go overnight (about 15 hours). I'm trying it now, we'll see.

BTW: I'm doing this in the speaker cabinet, not in raw speakers.

somedude
12-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I've broken in two cabs now (both loaded with V30s) and I find it takes four or five rather loud sessions before the speakers start to break in..... but for the next few months (and less dramatically, years) the speakers continue to improve.

Roobubba
12-19-2007, 06:17 AM
15 hours of that volume - overnight? And we're meant to sleep when, exactly?!

Roo

Aussie Mike
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
15 hours of that volume - overnight? And we're meant to sleep when, exactly?!

Roo

During the day of course!!

Isn't that when musos sleep?

impactblue
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
How loud do you need to be playing to effectively break in speakers? I rarely play with the master volume past 9 o clock, with my Celestion Blue AC15...

Do i need to be playing with the Master Volume cranked and Top Boost high to get it breaking in properly??

rockon1
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
How loud do you need to be playing to effectively break in speakers? I rarely play with the master volume past 9 o clock, with my Celestion Blue AC15...

Do i need to be playing with the Master Volume cranked and Top Boost high to get it breaking in properly??

The louder the better(within reason). The more the suspension is worked and the harder the cone vibrates the faster it will break in. Bob

Reckedtrek
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Old thread, I know, but why start a new one when this one's already here? I've read this whole thread through, but there's no mention of WGS speakers. I know the actual answer is "it depends" on how long they take to break in, but does anybody know if WGS tend to break in quicker or slower than other brands of speaker? Probably a stupid question, but when has that ever stopped me?

dbeeman
01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Reckedtrek (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/member.php?u=20600)

My experience with WGS is they break in about as fast a similar speakers.

That is - their green back takes about as long as a Celestion etc

generally higher powered and more doped speakers take longer, regardless of who made them

but other factors come into play. It seems that celestion G12H30 takes a lot longer than a greenback to smooth out the high end. I know this doesn't directly answer your question - but you get what I mean?

Reckedtrek
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM

generally higher powered and more doped speakers take longer, regardless of who made them

but other factors come into play. It seems that celestion G12H30 takes a lot longer than a greenback back to smooth out the high end. I knw this doesn't directly answer your question - but you get what I mean?

I think so. I just installed a new ET65 and a new Vet30 into a 2X12 cab. I was just wondering how long it might take. Based on this thread at moderate to loud volumes, about 24 hours, +/-8. I realize it will continue to break in over time, but that's half the fun right?

I have a gig in 3 weeks, so I might be able to get it sounding good and broken in by then. Maybe I'll dig out my old DL4 and loop guitar through the amp for a few hours at a time to help it along. I'm used to JCM800 4X12's with well broken in (to put it mildly) original Celestion 65's in them, so I haven't had to break in speakers in a very long time!

Thanks for your help, dbeeman!

mcdonaldkd
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I think your 24 hour idea on the WGS ET-65s is about right. Mine sounded good out of the box, but it really started to bloom after several practices and a gig or two. All told, it was right about 24 hours when I really felt like it was broken in good.

rhythmrocker
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

but other factors come into play. It seems that celestion G12H30 takes a lot longer than a greenback back to smooth out the high end. I knw this doesn't directly answer your question - but you get what I mean?

There might be an exception to the rule. I bought a WGS 15C. I played a white noise/pink noise/ Isotek speaker breaking-in CD this way: Computer > CD > Hi-Fi amp > isolated speaker cab in my store room for 40 hours, plus or minus a few. The speaker sounded totally different than right out of the box. Part of that could be perception but I A/B'd it against the same speaker (Altec 418B) both times and the WGS had so much more bottom end and smoother top; it really sounded like a different speaker. This was the first time where I was finally convinced that "breaking in" a speaker for 40 hours plus really DID make a difference. Now, I won't A/B any speaker without first breaking it in because of what a difference it can make. Maybe my experience is particular to 15-inch speakers.

dbeeman
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
a variac or a cheap filament transformer is your friend.

I have a new scumback humming along in my garage at 6 volts right now. By tomorrow night is should be ready to try

Reckedtrek
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I think your 24 hour idea on the WGS ET-65s is about right. Mine sounded good out of the box, but it really started to bloom after several practices and a gig or two. All told, it was right about 24 hours when I really felt like it was broken in good.

Just played mine another 2 hours, (about 4 hours total time on them). They sound pretty good now. Can't wait to hear them broken in! :)