PDA

View Full Version : Anyone digging the Bad Cat Classic Cat?

IPlayHamers
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I just resently became aware of this amp and it looks mega cool. There are no dealers in my area, so I'd like to know if anyone here uses or has tried this amp.

Thanks,

IPH

Boogie92801
11-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I had one and huge is a good description for it. It is more blackface than tweed sounding and it has ten times the bottom-end of a deluxe. The only reason I sold it was that it sounded dark to me and a bit mid heavy or thick.

I bought a Victoria deluxe clone and changed the speaker to a Red Fang and that has become my main amp for low volume stuff. The tweed is not as loud and doesn't have the head room but it has a chime and organic thing that the cat was lacking.

I also have a Lightning that sounds fantastic and way loud, certainly louder than the bad cat but not nearly as much head room.

I love small wattage combos like these.

Probos
12-06-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm jumping into this thread a bit late,....

I picked up a used Classic Cat about 6 weeks ago and I really dig it. I've only ever owned one other Fender amp and that was a Custom Vibrolux Reverb -- I've owned a lot more in the way of high gainers than anything else so buying this was a departure for me.

I've always wanted something that was on the smaller side, had good clean headroom and took pedals well. Well, this amp fits the bill quite nicely. It's stays clean with a Tele or Strat all the way up to just past 12:00 on the volume and by that time it's pretty damn loud. Really good lowend response, and sounds bigger than it's size which is pretty common for BadCat's in my experience (I also own a Hot Cat 30R). Doesn't sound too much like a Tweed to me,...kinda more like a BF Deluxe Reverb, without the reverb and with the tone centered a bit more in the midrange. I agree that it's a bit thick in the mids,...not real chimey, but the tone is still really good. Takes pedals like a champ which is great -- my dirt boxes all sound great through it. I'm actually considering a speaker change -- the re-labeled v30 is mid heavy and dark, so going with an G12H30 might be the ticket. I happen to have a couple Hellatone 30's too.

Also - this amp is pretty light weight for a BadCat,...around 50lbs. Make a great grab-n-go,....build a nice pedal board and you're set.

joeschai
12-07-2007, 08:53 AM
All great reviews here -- I'll add one.

Classic Cat was a cool amp when I had it. I play strictly single coil guitars, so the amp had clean to .. I dunno, hotter-clean from 0 to 10. The three knobs were great (I had the reverb model), simple to use and the volume and tone were so responsive and worked very well together. To me, the amp was more blackface Fendery instead of tweed-like. Punchy and articulate without overwhelming boominess.

I don't think the amp took pedals all that well. Granted, I had a Klon at the time, which seems to be very particular with the amps it wants to get along with, so maybe it was that instead of the Classic Cat itself. Plus, man, it just did not cut it sitting with the band. It was loud, but I've heard louder 20 watters.

I know James over at Bad Cat Amps does a 35-watter Classic Cat. That might be interesting.

jhfire
01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Just picked one up recently, this sounds like my Deluxe on steroids. Great tone, chords and notes just ring....:drool