PDA

View Full Version : Have i fried my pedals??

J.P.
11-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Hi all,
Newbie here looking for a little advice/possible light at the end of the tunnel.
I have a set up which consists of:
Boss>Compressor/Sustainer>BossOD3>BossDD3>Behringer Chorus>DOD Phase. (All ran by a Danelectro power pack)(Except Phase.)
I have been running with this set up for over a year.
Recently I changed amps and the Line 6 I am now using does not have a built in tuner so I got a Behringer stomp tuner, I took out the chorus from the power pack and put the tuner on my line. For about an hour it worked fine….then I got NOTHING. All of the pedal’s led lights are powering up but there is no sound. I have an old DOD Phase which works with a 9v battery on the line and this is working so I surmised that it was a power problem….then the realisation of POLARITY hit home and I checked…the Behringer pedals are opposite from the Boss….but this only caused the problem when I put the Tuner onto the line…it has worked OK whilst the chorus has been on the line……My question’s are have I fried all my pedals? How can I check?

Please be kind with my stupidity…I am relatively new to this stuff

Cheers
J.P.

R3deemed
11-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Have you pulled the Behringer to see if the rig works?

J.P.
11-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Yes,and i've tried them all with batteries...still nothing.

J.P.

thisfire
11-22-2007, 02:04 AM
You check your amp?

J.P.
11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
You check your amp?
Amp's fine.

J.P.

thisfire
11-22-2007, 02:19 AM
Oh, ok...upon second reading, I think I misunderstood. Do the pedals sound/work fine now without the Behringer in the chain?

J.P.
11-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Oh, ok...upon second reading, I think I misunderstood. Do the pedals sound/work fine now without the Behringer in the chain?

No i am still getting nothing,the dod phaser is working fine,but all the others which were on the line using the danelectro power pack are giving me nothing.

J.P.

StompBoxBlues
11-22-2007, 02:28 AM
This is hard to do without starting to basics.

First thing, take ONE Boss pedal (any pedal) completely alone.
Make sure there is a fresh battery in it. Set it up alone,
guitar in, out to a known working amp.

Does it work when the pedal is off (meaning...pass a signal on to the amp)?
What happens when you turn it on? if it "doesn't work" go into more detail...
the led turns on, is there ANY sound, did you check knobs on the pedal are turned up?
etc.)

Yes or no, do this with each pedal, one by one, alone, just guitar into pedal into working amp, with known good cables (if you have to..play guitar into amp with each cable).

After doing this with all, you will know more. It may be ONE pedal fried, it may be thay all did, or more likely, you might find they all work again.

Let us know how it goes!

Teahead
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Using a pedal with the wrong polarity in a daisy chain would almost certainly fry your power supply. Perhaps the pedals have measures built into the circuit to protect against these circumstances? In which case it may just be as simple as a fried resistor, diode or whatever they use? Albeit in each and every pedal, they would be a cheap fix. Open them up and see if anything looks, or smells cooked.

StompBoxBlues
11-22-2007, 03:10 AM
I've had reversed polarity on a couple of fuzzes, for short periods of time, with no problems afterwards. There OUGHT to be (at the very least) protection built in, as this is something that has a good chance of occuring once in a while.

Crossing my fingers for J.P. and hoping he dodged the bullet. Will wait and see what happens when he tries some, one at a time, new battery powered, and go from there.

J.P.
11-22-2007, 04:01 AM
I've had reversed polarity on a couple of fuzzes, for short periods of time, with no problems afterwards. There OUGHT to be (at the very least) protection built in, as this is something that has a good chance of occuring once in a while.

Crossing my fingers for J.P. and hoping he dodged the bullet. Will wait and see what happens when he tries some, one at a time, new battery powered, and go from there.

Thanks STB!
I have checked the pedals with new batteries and good leads...i'll open them up and see if there is anything obvious...cheers everyone for your help!!!

J.P.

StompBoxBlues
11-22-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm not sure if you mean you tried each alone and still broken.
Just, the even if only one is broken, best way to check is alone, one by one, then you know.

semi-hollowbody
11-22-2007, 07:37 AM
I hope your rig is ok dude...this is NOT the firdt time I have heard about behringer pedals frying power supplies...keep us posted!

williamh
11-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Do you have your cables going the right way? Output to the amp, input to the guitar. May sound dumb, but I've done it several times before.

bandofthieves™
11-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi all,
Newbie here looking for a little advice/possible light at the end of the tunnel.
I have a set up which consists of:
Boss>Compressor/Sustainer>BossOD3>BossDD3>Behringer Chorus>DOD Phase. (All ran by a Danelectro power pack)(Except Phase.)
I have been running with this set up for over a year.
Recently I changed amps and the Line 6 I am now using does not have a built in tuner so I got a Behringer stomp tuner, I took out the chorus from the power pack and put the tuner on my line. For about an hour it worked fine….then I got NOTHING. All of the pedal’s led lights are powering up but there is no sound. I have an old DOD Phase which works with a 9v battery on the line and this is working so I surmised that it was a power problem….then the realisation of POLARITY hit home and I checked…the Behringer pedals are opposite from the Boss….but this only caused the problem when I put the Tuner onto the line…it has worked OK whilst the chorus has been on the line……My question’s are have I fried all my pedals? How can I check?

Please be kind with my stupidity…I am relatively new to this stuff

Cheers
J.P.
Behringer pedals work fine with a boss PSA power supply..UNless they have changed in the last 48 hours.')

The Pup
11-23-2007, 02:07 AM
:eek:

Frethog
11-23-2007, 09:01 AM
And I think that compression pedal requires an "ACA" 9-volt adapter if you're not using a battery.

Whenever I have experienced this problem in the past, it was always something simple. Like a slightly disconnected pedal-patch cord or a dead patch cord.

John Phillips
11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
It's unlikely that you could have fried all the Boss pedals in exactly the same way at the same time, even if you shorted out the power supply (which would more likely shut it down than damage the other pedals anyway). I would guess something else is wrong.

Like StompBoxBlues said, first test each pedal individually - removed from the pedalboard, with a battery in it, just guitar > pedal > amp. If it's still dead under that test, it's dead.

Do that before you start opening up pedals.

J.P.
11-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Well thanks all!!
It seem's my cables were dodgy....as i said i'm a newbie at this stuff.

Thanks again GREAT forum BTW!

J.P.

Scott Auld
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
At least you weren't in front of an audience. Nothing like trouble shooting for 15 minutes in front of a packed house only to find that you left your wah pedal on.

:jo

done that.

StompBoxBlues
11-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Well thanks all!!
It seem's my cables were dodgy....as i said i'm a newbie at this stuff.

Thanks again GREAT forum BTW!

J.P.

Just a note. Good troubleshooting is like casting a net. You start out wide, and narrow down. It is the fastest way. NEVER think "well, I KNOW this is good (because it always has worked". You have to go in like policemen do when they get to a crime scene...they don't believe ANYONE. Don't trust any component, even (or especially) if it is NEW!

So, if you were out on a gig, the way I would try to find the problem...

1) take your guitar, and the guitar lead to the pedals, plug directly into amp, does it work? okay..it's good.

2) take the lead from the pedalboard (or pedals) that goes to the ampl plug IT into the guitar, does it work?

3) now we have two PROBABLY (still could be an intermittent short in one or both of the cords...keep that in mind if the problem turns flaky...works sometimes but not others) good cords. Plug guitar into first pedal, pedal out to amp...if this works move to the middle pedal (if you have 6 pedal move to pedal number three) see if still sound...if not move backwards, etc.

IF this doesn't work (this scenario is not the same as home, because assuming you have a pedalboard it is quicker than removing each pedal) doesn't isolate it, you might have to take other pedals out one by one and test them into amp.

Cords are most likely I think to go bad. Cables...

Another trick, if you take out the power input plug (if you use a power supply), turn the pedal on and see if the LED lights up solidly. This could elminate power problems from the fray.

Main thing, isolate sections of pedals, then narrow down to the pedal or cables in and out of it.

Before doing this I do a quick visual and touch of all cables...have had plenty times where it looked okay, but the plug wasn't all the way into the jack.

Also, too many times to be funny anymore, I have (because of habit and the way it is configured) plugged input into the expression pedal in of my Mojo Vibe. This shorts out the signal, causes the power supply to shut down, and takes me way to long to recall (since the exp pedal in is where I THINK the input ought to be, input is squashes over by the output...Bob, I LOVE the mojo, but I wish the exp pedal in were next to the output, traded with the input where it now is. Might just be me, but I thought that was the normal layout) and fix, but no damage even from that. The power supply is a really nice "Big John" (same as cioks).