PDA

View Full Version : Best 6V6 Power Tubes

Janglin_Jack
11-26-2007, 05:15 PM
What are the best new prouction 6V6 power tubes? I need to get some backups for my Orange Rockerverb 50 and wasn't sure who has the best tubes currently.

Thanks,
Jack

teleamp
11-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I am really liking the new production Tung Sol 6V6's, to me they are the closest to NOS.

MikeY

Red Planet
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I absolutely love the JJ 6V6's.

Though they arent like old style 6V6's they are the bomb. I prefer them much better than any other 6V6's ever made. They are great heavey duty robust tubes and sound good too.:RoCkIn

slider313
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I am really liking the new production Tung Sol 6V6's, to me they are the closest to NOS.

MikeY

+1 I love these tubes. Warmer than the JJ's and not as brittle on the top end. They seem to put out a bit less but they make up for it in the tone dept.

Rod
11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
JJ's can take the most punishment

Rod
11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
but the Tung Sols are sweeter

jokerjkny
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I absolutely love the JJ 6V6's.

Though they arent like old style 6V6's they are the bomb. I prefer them much better than any other 6V6's ever made. They are great heavey duty robust tubes and sound good too.:RoCkIn

love my JJ's, but i guess i'll be checkin' out the tungsol's. thx guys!

Red Planet
11-26-2007, 07:17 PM
My Tubes are better than yours na na na bo bo.:rotflmao

Blue Strat
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
What are the best new prouction 6V6 power tubes? I need to get some backups for my Orange Rockerverb 50 and wasn't sure who has the best tubes currently.

Thanks,
Jack

Tung Sols are working out great here. None of that rattle found in those other new 6V6s. ;)

Sniper-V
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I've read Tung Sol to be the one closest to NOS
And,
JJs to be the most durable.

For 6V6, these are the two...for me at least.

sector9
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
JJ all the way way

Janglin_Jack
11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I got an email from a guy that said the Groove Tubes were nice. So far, looks like I will be checking out the TungSol's.

Jack

Sniper-V
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
I got an email from a guy that said the Groove Tubes were nice. So far, looks like I will be checking out the TungSol's.

Jack

I believe GTs are just relabeled tubes...

Hacksaw
11-27-2007, 01:03 AM
another Tung Sols vote! I thought the JJ's where a little darker in comparison. ( in my 5e3 amp). not as Chimmey.

katarzis
11-27-2007, 03:52 AM

Jack
i think i'm that guy :).
GT-6V6-S was a major upgrade to my RV50.
i realy can't see what people find in JJ... i tried it and didn't like it at all.

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
i think i'm that guy :).
GT-6V6-S was a major upgrade to my RV50.
i realy can't see what people find in JJ... i tried it and didn't like it at all.

Interesting since the GT6V6-S (S=Slovakia) IS the JJ 6V6. Groove Tubes makes very few tubes. They don't make any 6V6s at all. They buy, test, and relabel tubes made by other compainies.

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I believe GTs are just relabeled tubes...

They are in this case and many other cases.

Groove Tubes makes 12AX7Ms, EL34Ms, 6L6CHPs and 6L6GEs. All other items they sell are relabeled tubes.

fr8_trane
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Anyone try the TAD 6v6's. Their 6L6's are GREAT.

katarzis
11-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Interesting since the GT6V6-S (S=Slovakia) IS the JJ 6V6.

well that's funny :)! are you sure that its the SAME tube?

They don't make any 6V6s at all. They buy, test, and relabel tubes made by other compainies.

that i know.
main thing is the GT sounds great :).

meterman
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I've had great luck with the EH 6V6s in three amps, good tone and long lasting with no failures. Haven't tried any others yet. Heard the JJs were actually more like a 6L6, any truth to that? Have to check out the Tung Sols...

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
well that's funny :)! are you sure that its the SAME tube?

Yes it is. Could be the difference in bias current. Did you rebias for each pair?

katarzis
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
well......... i rebiased for the GT...
anyway, the gt-ecc83s sounded to me far way better than the JJ (same bias there :)).

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
well......... i rebiased for the GT...
anyway, the gt-ecc83s sounded to me far way better than the JJ (same bias there :)).

Funny, that GT is a JJ too. Must be all the extra travel across "the pond" and back;)

katarzis
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
well i guess GT does pick the best tubes.

jamison162
11-27-2007, 11:55 AM
well i guss GT does pick the best tubes.

Yep, you get what you pay for.

Scumback Speakers
11-27-2007, 12:02 PM
I can order the Tung Sols direct from New Sensor, right? I know the JJ's can hold up in my single ended Class A amps, but every other new production tube has failed to handle the Capt, or Major Crunch amps for longer than 45 - 90 seconds before they lit up, imploded, lost gas, or just "faded away".

Anyone put one of these Tung Sol's in a Champ and tried them yet?

Structo
11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
What about Winged C's?
I have an amp coming that has those in it.
Thanks.

jamison162
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I can order the Tung Sols direct from New Sensor, right? I know the JJ's can hold up in my single ended Class A amps, but every other new production tube has failed to handle the Capt, or Major Crunch amps for longer than 45 - 90 seconds before they lit up, imploded, lost gas, or just "faded away".

Anyone put one of these Tung Sol's in a Champ and tried them yet?

Maybe your design is too hard on em? (obviously) Find the most toneful new production 6V6 (TS's maybe?) and tweak your 6V6 amps to run those. Just a thought.

Lou Brush
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm really liking the Ruby 6V6s in my 5e3 clone.

Roccaforte Amps
11-27-2007, 02:28 PM
The NOS RCA 6V6GTA (clear glass) is the best
ever made past or present.
For current production the JJ is the only one
I'll use although they're really not a 6V6 they
are almost impossible to destroy.
The rest are firecrackers:nono

jamison162
11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
The NOS RCA 6V6GTA (clear glass) is the best
ever made past or present.
are almost impossible to destroy.

And you've tried the TS's? Haven't heard of anyone else blowing up 6V6's as much as you. :) The EH, JJ, and TS's all run fine in the Rockerverb 50's - except for the occasional duds (EH). Maybe you're just getting all the bad ones.

bluesbreaker59
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Anyone try the TAD's??? I'm currently running JJ's in my Vicky Double Deluxe, and for recording a go with either blackplate RCA's or some smoked glass GE's. I have one quad of each laying around the house. These days though I can't even begin to afford NOS tubes

Roccaforte Amps
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
And you've tried the TS's? Haven't heard of anyone else blowing up 6V6's as much as you. :) The EH, JJ, and TS's all run fine in the Rockerverb 50's - except for the occasional duds (EH). Maybe you're just getting all the bad ones.

I happen to go through a lot of tubes in my shop.

Red Planet
11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Interesting since the GT6V6-S (S=Slovakia) IS the JJ 6V6. Groove Tubes makes very few tubes. They don't make any 6V6s at all. They buy, test, and relabel tubes made by other compainies.

I nearly
lost my super when I read that. That was funny.

Red Planet
11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
They are in this case and many other cases.

Groove Tubes makes 12AX7Ms, EL34Ms, 6L6CHPs and 6L6GEs. All other items they sell are relabeled tubes.

And exactly where are "they" making these tubes?

Red Planet
11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
are almost impossible to destroy and Red Planet is the most awsome guy.

Agreed.

The Sovtek, EH, and Tung Sol's are first off born from a backround of poor performance and to close to kissing cousins for me. :eek:

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
And exactly where are "they" making these tubes?

ROFL! Talk about a loaded question (which you know the answer too).

China as far as I can tell.

Why would they make tubes in a factory or country where people DON'T know anything about making tubes? ;)

Red Planet
11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
ROFL! Talk about a loaded question (which you know the answer too).

China as far as I can tell.

Why would they make tubes in a factory or country where people DON'T know anything about making tubes? ;)

This is a test for the next 60 seconds........

Just wanted to see if you were on your toes.:roll

Blue Strat
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
This is a test for the next 60 seconds........

Just wanted to see if you were on your toes.:roll

Nice work! ;) :rotflmao

teleamp
11-28-2007, 08:39 AM
I got stuck with a bunch of JJ's that had undersized pins (What a pita that was). IMHO, the JJ's are a good tube, but do not sound like a 6V6 to me (maybe because they were a failed attemp at a 6L6). To me there is no current 6V6 that sounds like a NOS, but the Tung Sols are damned close. I go through a lot of tubes and have had no failures with the Tung Sol vs many failures with JJ, so I guess who you buy them from has a lot to do with that.

I use the Tung Sols in my 65 PR and Tweed Deluxe clones and they sound fantastic.

MikeY

jamison162
11-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I got stuck with a bunch of JJ's that had undersized pins (What a pita that was). IMHO, the JJ's are a good tube, but do not sound like a 6V6 to me (maybe because they were a failed attemp at a 6L6). To me there is no current 6V6 that sounds like a NOS, but the Tung Sols are damned close. I go through a lot of tubes and have had no failures with the Tung Sol vs many failures with JJ, so I guess who you buy them from has a lot to do with that.

I use the Tung Sols in my 65 PR and Tweed Deluxe clones and they sound fantastic.

MikeY

I was told directly by the designer of a rather large amp manufacturer that they also had a lot of issues with the JJ's as far as reliability and are using the EH's. Which to me seems totally backwards from everything I know. EH's are said to be the worst and JJ's the best...go figure.

meterman
11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
EH's are said to be the worst and JJ's the best...go figure.

Really? I've had no problems from my EH tubes in over two years of hard use. Good to know though, guess I'll get a backup set of JJs from Eurotubes....

Roccaforte Amps
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Really? I've had no problems from my EH tubes in over two years of hard use. Good to know though, guess I'll get a backup set of JJs from Eurotubes....

It does matter what you're putting them into......
Some guitar amplifier circuits run tubes harder
than others.
In some 6V6 circuits the voltages are low (350)
and most brands will hold up ok.
As you start talking higher voltages and hotter
driver circuits the brand choice will be an issue.
When it comes to over 370V watch out with
russian and chinese 6V6 tubes.
The JJ6V6 is good up to 450 in the right circuit.

Craftmatic
12-12-2008, 10:15 PM
than others.

Good thread. Helped me decide to go with Eurotubes JJs because my amp runs hot. As nice as the Tung-Sols sound in there, I don't think they're holding up well. Besides I don't mind if the JJ's have a little more of that strident 6L6 feel.

sharkminusbear
12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I had JJ 6V6's and replaced them with Brimar 6V6GT's. The JJ's still sounded damn good compared to the Brimar's, but they were cleaner but didn't have the same presence and clarity. I go with JJ's, but keep an eye out on ebay; you can find NOS tubes for decent prices if you are lucky.

zombiwoof
12-12-2008, 10:57 PM
than others.

That may have been true in the past, but the Tung Sol 6V6 is a newer tube and purportedly will take the voltages you talk about.

Al

stratus
12-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a pair of JJ's in my 66 Deluxe that sound awesome,bigger ,and cleaner than the Tung- Sol's. However, in my Carr Rambler, It is comletely the opposite! The TS's 6V6's sound great and the JJ's sound Brittle!! Different circuits reqire different tubeage, period.!!!!!

Rick1114
12-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I have 66 Vibrochamp that is a tube eater. I know it's biased too hot but I like it best that way - and I've tried a bunch of tubes...

The JJ's are nice and robust, thicker and more compressed generally - they take whatever you throw at them (at least the pair I had did). Not really a fendery sort of tube IMO, but I keep one in my GA-5 because I feel the amp needs a bit of compression..I dropped one by accident off a 5 foot counter and it finally broke.

Tung Sol RI's are generally brighter & sweeter sounding. Sounded great in my DRRI and my Champ. I had one go bad in my DRRI though in just a few months. In terms of reliability I think they are better that EH, but not as robust as the old JJ's I have. Not as complex as RCA's IMO.

EH - I had this lying around and I thought it sounded very nice in the VibroChamp. Similar to the Tung Sol in that it's a bright, chimey 6V6 - too bad it only lasted about 5 minutes before the champ devoured it.

RCA GTA- this came with my champ. It 's not quite as bright as the Tung Sol RI, but makes up for that with a complexity I didn't experience with the other 6V6's. The sounds gel together in way the other 6V6's can't quite match - beautiful.

That's all I got...

jcs
12-13-2008, 02:08 AM
theres plenty of old production 6v6 (nos and strong pulls) that are very good..

i've collected 6v6 old production for 20+ years,by the time i weed out weak or shorted 6v6 i wind up with about half that are very strong or new with no problems.

with the wide choices of old production 6v6, i dont quite understand why folks take a chance with some of these import 6v6 (unless they are thoroughly screened-burned in)..

korby
12-13-2008, 07:02 AM
On my TopHat Portly cadet old RCA's sound the best , Tung-Sols next . Electro-harmonix EH sound harsh and non musical .