PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page with 30 watt amp at 02 Arena...

Free
12-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Page was plugged into an Orange AD-30 at the 02 Arena show. Interesting to consider that 30 watts may have been all Page was using for some songs at a stadium show. He's only plugged into one of the AD-30s - each amp stacked in two's most likely just as back-ups.

The other amps Page used were a Super Lead, AD-50 and Petersberg. I also wonder if he was doubling up different amp models or just A/B/C/D switching to each amp alone for various songs/guitars?

Page with entire live backline...

http://www.inthelightband.com/images/Page live 2007 amps.jpg

Page with AD-30...

http://www.inthelightband.com/images/Page live 2007 amps 2.jpg

Shawn S.
12-12-2007, 11:17 AM
When I'm old my ears will hurt too.

Free
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
When I'm old my ears will hurt too.

That could very likely be why he is, Shawn ;).

Shawn S.
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
That was my immediate thought! I have to admit, I've never needed to mic my 22w, and I can get it up just loud enough to sound really, really great without people giving me "the look."

Burstplayer
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Theremin = Orange

Bet he used the Marshall and Russian amp for all the songs.

Free
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
That was my immediate thought! I have to admit, I've never needed to mic my 22w, and I can get it up just loud enough to sound really, really great without people giving me "the look."

Oh no - "the look" lol! I hate that - if they only understood that we don't turn up just to be loud.

Echo Are
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Large-scale p.a. systems are a lot more powerful and sophisticated nowadays than they were in the '70s:cool:. No need to have a bank of 100-watt amp stacks.

Free
12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Large-scale p.a. systems are a lot more powerful and sophisticated nowadays than they were in the '70s:cool:. No need to have a bank of 100-watt amp stacks.

I figured that, but still thought with that much room onstage and in the house 100 watts or so would disperse without too much volume intensity. Just goes to show 30 watts can go a long way live...

electronpirate
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I've heard rumors that Angus plays a small modded amp behind the stacks, then has it piped into those speakers through the FX loop for the illusion and stage.

Regardless, I know very few bands who don't mike these days...anyone with a few months experience can get it right so your stage volume is not killing you, and everyone can hear everyone.

Roccaforte Amps
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Jimmy page is Jimmy page no matter what he plays.

Roccaforte Amps
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I've heard rumors that Angus plays a small modded amp behind the stacks, then has it piped into those speakers through the FX loop for the illusion and stage.

Regardless, I know very few bands who don't mike these days...anyone with a few months experience can get it right so your stage volume is not killing you, and everyone can hear everyone.

Angus, SS pre driving the tube poweramps of his marshalls.

electronpirate
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Aha! That's why the 4203 I play sounds so much like that tone!

Nacho Strato
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
check out the ENGL cabs.
odd choice for Pagey don't cha think?

firebird1999us
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Page was plugged into a 30 watt Orange AD-30 at the 02 Arena show. Interesting to consider that 30 watts may have been all Page was using for some songs at a stadium show. He's only plugged into one of the AD-30s - each amp stacked in two's most likely just as back-ups.

The other amps Page used were a Super Lead, AD-50 and Petersberg. I also wonder if he was doubling up different amp models or just A/B/C/D switching to each amp alone for various songs/guitars?

Page with AD-30...

How do you know they're AD50s? Are there closer pics that haven't been posted that can confirm the ones on the far right are AD50s and not Retros??

re-animator
12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
man.... the oranges are strictly for the theremin like in whole lotta love.

rockon1
12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Page was plugged into a 30 watt Orange AD-30 at the 02 Arena show. Interesting to consider that 30 watts may have been all Page was using for some songs at a stadium show. He's only plugged into one of the AD-30s - each amp stacked in two's most likely just as back-ups.

Page with AD-30...

Damn,aging sucks. Bob

Dana Olsen
12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Damn,aging sucks. BobTrue, but it still beats the hell out of the alternatives.

Dana O.

Geetarpicker
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
One thing I've noticed is the Page likes to play way off to the side of his amps alot. Like over in front of the drum riser. A 100 watt amp through a 4x12 will be way toned down that far off to the side of it on a big stage. Closed back 4x12s are quite directional. I haven't seen many of the videos to see where Page stood on that show, but I wouldn't rule out he played some of those 100 watters cranked...

Free
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
How do you know they're AD50s? Are there closer pics that haven't been posted that can confirm the ones on the far right are AD50s and not Retros??

I thought you were already up on this, Firebird1999? This aspect's beyond my threads point anyway - I'm just bringing up the AD-30 and wattage thing...

The Orange amps used were as follows: On the far left he had two Orange AD30 single Channels...in fact he's been using those for some time now. On the far right he had two Orange AD50/Retro50 Custom shop heads.

Page has used AD30s in the past on the Black Crowes tour. Also note that on the Custom shop stuff (AD50/Retro50) the large volume and gain knobs are placed differently in relation to the stripe that's above them. On the AD30 the volume and gain knob sit below the stripe and on the Custom shop stuff the volume and gain knob actually overlap a larger, orange stripe outlined by thick black stripes;)

Free
12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
man.... the oranges are strictly for the theremin like in whole lotta love.

And, you're so sure why? I know that was his classic set-up in the '70s, but we're talking 2007 here, AD-30's and AD-50's. Not to mention he's using TWO Orange amps now, not one, and completely different from the model used in the '70s. So, what are you basing your statement on?

908SSP
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
The AD-30 take the place of the AC-30 which Jimmy has said are his favorite sound.

re-animator
12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
well in all the years i've been playing i haven't really had the urge to plug my guitar into my keyboard amp. especially not for the biggest show of my life.

firebird1999us
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I thought you were already up on this, Firebird1999? This aspect's beyond my threads point anyway - I'm just bringing up the AD-30 and wattage thing...

An AD50 and Retro 50 are different amps. You said AD50 in your post while I didn't specify in my post -- I merely pointed out that it was one of the two and I'm sorry if that point was not clear in my original post. What I was trying to figure out how you knew it was an AD50 and NOT a Retro 50:confused:

...The other amps Page used were a Super Lead, AD-50 and Petersberg....

I didn't mean to come across the wrong way -- basically I'm just trying to figure out which custom shop he used for sure;)

By the way I'd like to hear your band -- but unfortunately I'm at a computer that doesn't have speakers hooked up at the moment:(

Ever heard of ZOSO? I think that's what their name was...they're a Zeppelin Tribute band that regularly tours around the south. The guitarist has frikking dragon suits and everything!

Structo
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
:munch

jumpchamp
12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I wish Page played a stack of Ceriatones. It would have ruined peoples brains for life around here.

seriously....i almost spit water out of my mouth when i read that

HoboMan
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM

Many bands do that now. I read that Billy Gibbons has a small amp under the stage enclosed in plexiglass that is miked.
This keeps the drums & other instruments from bleeding into the amp mic.

bosstone
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Why would you need any more watts if you have a good sound man and PA???

wil
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Don't forget that he has another superlead and 4x12 over by JPJ. You can see it in one of the other Gettyimages pics.

re-animator
12-12-2007, 07:40 PM
because whipping out your wilie in the middle of the stage and comparing it to other guitarists is just innapropriate.

dorianadams
12-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Many bands do that now. I read that Billy Gibbons has a small amp under the stage enclosed in plexiglass that is miked.
This keeps the drums & other instruments from bleeding into the amp mic.
This is true. It is much easier to get a studio/album quality sound mix this way . Angus mics an amp through a Avalon737.

Ted Witcher
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I actually saw the fake thing on TV once. Some young rock band, or rock-looking backup band (Avril Lavigne, etc.) was playing an awards show in Vegas. People's Choice, maybe. Anyway, the guitarist had a wall of cabinets behind. I noticed none of them were mic'ed. I figured maybe he was DI'd or something. Then the camera operator got a little too fancy and whizzed his Steadicam around the guitarist and caught a glimpse of what was behind the wall of cabinets: a little Deville-looking amp, mic'ed, pointed in the other direction. That made me laugh.

tele_jas
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
A cranked 30wt amp is LOUD!! Especially pushing a 4x12.

Lonely Raven
12-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm confused how guitarists these days still think a 30 watt isn't quite as loud as a 50 watt or even a 100 watt amp. I'd figure that listening 101 would teach you that hearing is roughly logarithmic.

re-animator
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
try 5 of them :MMM

A cranked 30wt amp is LOUD!! Especially pushing a 4x12.

bosstone
12-12-2007, 11:11 PM
30 watts is 89.6% as loud as 100 watts. There are some variables but this is the the main thing to consider and it gives a good indication of what to expect.

NatDeroxL7
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm confused how guitarists these days still think a 30 watt isn't quite as loud as a 50 watt or even a 100 watt amp. I'd figure that listening 101 would teach you that hearing is roughly logarithmic.

.....but this one goes up to 11

that is why

JesseJerk
12-13-2007, 12:20 AM
You are correct about the graphics of the custom shop Oranges and the regular stuff. I heard he uses Retro 50's not AD-50's.

xroads
12-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, you forgot the monitors. I have played large outdoor gigs with a 1x12 combo, sitting far back on stage. If you have a good monitor sound, no problem.

Roe
12-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Angus, SS pre driving the tube poweramps of his marshalls.

more detailed info would be appreciated!

somedude
12-13-2007, 06:17 AM

What's funny is that people are going "ooo, Jimmy page can get by with only 30w"....

....but ignoring the fact that it's connected to 20 billion watt PA system....

....and the Super Lead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SLP was his main cleaner tone and the Oranges were his heavy crunch (AD/Retro 50) and lead tone (AD30). That's what I'd do anyway.

gbtommasi
12-13-2007, 06:34 AM
30 watts is 89.6% as loud as 100 watts. There are some variables but this is the the main thing to consider and it gives a good indication of what to expect.

very correct Sir.
In facts, the difference in wattage is especially important to determine how much clean headroom you may get. Perceived volume is another thing, and a 30 w is actually almost as loud as a 50w, and not really far from a 100w.
Just, probably with a 30w you get distortion while on a 100w you are still playing clean (it also depend on the amp's gain structure, though).

Mapleneck
12-13-2007, 07:17 AM

30 watts can be every bit as loud as a 100 watt amp in the real world. How the amp is rated makes a lot of difference, as well as how efficient the speakers are, etc. We all know that most Marshalls actually put out way more than a 100 watts when they are cranked. Most 30's will too. They are rated at 1% distortion uisually. Many amps hit that 1% pretty early and still have a lot of volume left to give. Others don't. Case and point, I had a 100 watt Marshall club and country for 20 years. That thing was barely louder than the Vibrolux I own today. But we put it on a scope and it put out 100 watts clean right to the point where the wave started to clip. But the amp didn't have anything left after that. Exactly 100 watts through 2 McKenzie speakers wasn't as loud as you would think. On the other hand, I owned a 30 watt Matchless Cheiftain 4x10, and that dang thing would flap your bell bottoms a couple blocks away it was so loud. There are just too many real world factors confusing the issue. Wattage just is not a good indication of volume.

mickey69
12-13-2007, 07:18 AM
I actually saw the fake thing on TV once. Some young rock band, or rock-looking backup band (Avril Lavigne, etc.) was playing an awards show in Vegas. People's Choice, maybe. Anyway, the guitarist had a wall of cabinets behind. I noticed none of them were mic'ed. I figured maybe he was DI'd or something. Then the camera operator got a little too fancy and whizzed his Steadicam around the guitarist and caught a glimpse of what was behind the wall of cabinets: a little Deville-looking amp, mic'ed, pointed in the other direction. That made me laugh.

some other guys who do this:

I have a petty video from last year and he has a red superlead behind his cabs. also, Rick nielsen has a 4x10 bandmaster behind his cabs on a CT video from a few years back.

Free
12-13-2007, 07:27 AM
I didn't mean to come across the wrong way -- basically I'm just trying to figure out which custom shop he used for sure;)

I understand that desire completely - that's cool ;).

Free
12-13-2007, 07:34 AM

I'll elucidate then. That's really not what this thread is about - most informed guitarists know that wattage relationship on db's and perceived volume through different cab/speaker configurations. Since a few here have compelled me to clarify this, I personally know each technical variable inside and out: room by room, db by db, watt by watt, speaker by speaker, headroom by headroom, frequency response by frequency response, etc, etc. Not to mention the commonly known fact of the incredible power of PA's these days.

My point of thread: Still, in light of all that, it's just interesting to see the amp models and wattages he picked out for the show, plus, I really wonder how he might have used each amp live. That's all. I mean is it not interesting to see what Page used for the reunion show...

-Mike

Roe
12-13-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna do a gig with a small battery powered amp visible at the stage and my plexi hidden. I'm gonna put a mic before the 100$ amp as well

franksguitar
12-13-2007, 08:30 AM
For certain gigs I use a modded 30 watt Marshall Artist 4203 1-12 combo, for outdoor and larger venues I use a 100w Mesa Boogie Mk III simulclass usually set on 50 watts or keep the volume down and let the PA do the work.

electronpirate
12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
For certain gigs I use a modded 30 watt Marshall Artist 4203 1-12 combo.....

GREAT sounding amp! Loud as sin as well. I assume you did the clean channel mod.

EP

fr8_trane
12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I think ALOT of touring pros are using lower wattage amps miced thru the PA PLUS a side fill amp for monitoring. Does anyone really want a raging 100 watt stack directly behind them anymore. I know I don't and I know that Jeff Beck and Pete Townshend wish they hadn't.

ALL things onstage may appear larger than they actually are!!! Especially for Derek Smalls.

Pablomago
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
This is from the FOH magazine interview with Big Mick Hughes who mixed the Led Zep reunion about Jimmy's amps.

FOH: What about miking the guitar...Did he have like an army of amps up there?

Big Mick: I used just the 30-watt Orange with an Audio-Technica AE 2500...sounded fantastic. Jimmy did have other guitar setups that he switched in and out as needed, which were also mic'ed with AE 2500's.

FOH: 30-Watt Orange?

Big Mick: 30-Watt Orange. I tell you what, in rehearsal when he fired that up, I was like, 'wow, how many watts is that guitar amp?'-and I went down and looked at it-it was 30 watts! I was like, that defies the laws of physics, but I mean really defies the laws of physics. It was the loudest 30 watts I have ever heard!

teleblaster
02-29-2008, 07:45 AM
I wish Page played a stack of Ceriatones. It would have ruined peoples brains for life around here. Dude, i almost spilled my coffee this morning! :rotflmao

Derelict
02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna do a gig with a small battery powered amp visible at the stage and my plexi hidden. I'm gonna put a mic before the 100$ amp as well

:rotflmao

pickaguitar
02-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I wish Page played a stack of Ceriatones. It would have ruined peoples brains for life around here.

Me too...good stuff :)