PDA

View Full Version : Let us talk about the DS1

BBQLS1
12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not a big pedal guy, but I just acquired a boss DS1. Classic 80s guitar in a box. Anyone have some good tips on using one? Settings?

re-animator
12-31-2007, 08:37 PM
keep the tone below 12 oclock... and the drive below 3 oclock. thats my only real suggestion... and make sure not to use single coils!

HipKitty
12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Where's Carlos Cavazo when you need him?

claffman
12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Throw it out. Sorry.

jkr
12-31-2007, 09:33 PM
That last comment didn't answer his question. I leave it at that.

Stressfest
12-31-2007, 09:36 PM
If its a classic 80's black label Jap model...its a keeper. I always kept the tone around 9 o'clock, vol at 1 o'clock and gaint to taste. :D

Enjoy :AOK

Jam119
12-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey - worked for Neil Scholn for years...

XKnight
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
If it's a new DS-1, I'd recommend getting it modded by Analogman or Keeley. It will sound even better that way.

Scott Auld
12-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Tone way down, max out the drive, put on the hair spray

brianf
12-31-2007, 11:59 PM
It's a classic for sure. Don't mod it. They build it that way for a reason. Hair metal.

Just keep the tone down past noon. If you take the drive/gain almost off and run through a DRRI etc of some sort of Victoria it just nails Keiths tone.

brianf

mule73
01-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Mine's a newer one,dead stock and I love it.

Starquasi
01-01-2008, 12:48 AM
owned/sold this pedal 3 times before i discovered the joys of mod's....bought the Keeley for lower gain marshall type rhythm...just recieved the analogman mod/with mid control for leads....the mid control is essential to help stand out in the mix.......mods make the difference....

re-animator
01-01-2008, 01:31 AM
It's a classic for sure. Don't mod it. They build it that way for a reason. Hair metal.

Just keep the tone down past noon. If you take the drive/gain almost off and run through a DRRI etc of some sort of Victoria it just nails Keiths tone.

brianf

i noticed that. its a bit scratchy though, but serviceable for "start me up" covers.

Melodic Dreamer
01-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey - worked for Neil Scholn for years...

Plus, Joe Satriani & Steve Vai used them for years. Eric Johnson has even bragged on the little orange pedal.
I could never get it to work in my rig, but thats just me. Many of great guitarist have relied on that pedal for years.

re-animator
01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
eric johnson rocking a stock MIJ ds1:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=08oVRtpjQLw

nibus
01-01-2008, 02:04 PM
If you're going to mod it, I've heard good things about Brian's mods at Indyguitarist. Here's a demo comparing the stock version of the DS-1 with the two different mods that Brian does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmARgeZPTN4

After hearing this, I don't know how anyone could prefer the stock over the modded.

Elektrik_SIxx
01-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Plus, Joe Satriani & Steve Vai used them for years. Eric Johnson has even bragged on the little orange pedal.
I could never get it to work in my rig, but thats just me. Many of great guitarist have relied on that pedal for years.

Don't forget Gary Moore and Mike Stern. At one point I think Landau and Henderson used it too.

BBQLS1
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys! This is a good thread so far! Keep it coming!

Birddog
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I keep the tone around 10 o'clock and the distortion around 2 o'clock (sometimes 3) for a few of the songs we do. I don't use it often, but I like it especially for Ain't Talkin Bout Love, with a little Flanger on the side.

Also good for ZZ top stuff at that setting.

I do find that I have to run the volume "level" setting all the way up to match the volumes of my other drive pedals, however.

openbar
01-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I've heard of Kurt Cobain using one too. It's a great pedal.

BBQLS1
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I've heard of Kurt Cobain using one too. It's a great pedal.

Not quite chasing that tone. :)

electron transl
01-01-2008, 05:43 PM
If it's a new DS-1, I'd recommend getting it modded by Analogman or Keeley. It will sound even better that way.

i got the jhs mods "synth mod" done to it. came back a completely different beast. MUCH cooler. has the seeing eye mod included on it, with 3 toggles that give a lo-fi, fuzz, and awesome distortion sound. i think jhs modswebsite is just their myspace page. do a search. sounds rad.

no wait, i want to have that sound all for myself. so don't go get that mod done. let me be one of the only guys who has it.

guitarist58
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
I've played my Keeley DS-1 w/ a strat... It's been in storage for a while, but not because I didn't like the sound! (have too many other pedals and only 6 square feet of pedalboard space :p)

HipKitty
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
If you're handy with a soldering iron, why not try to tackle the mods yourself? The design is very simple an there are plenty of things you could try...and it doesn't take an engineering degree to do it either!

BBQLS1
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
If you're handy with a soldering iron, why not try to tackle the mods yourself? The design is very simple an there are plenty of things you could try...and it doesn't take an engineering degree to do it either!

I already ordered the parts. :crazy

I can't leave well enough alone.

The Everlove
01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Throw it out. Sorry.

:rolleyes:

TimH
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm digging my MIJ DS! out of storage to see if I can use it as a third OD on my board.

semi-hollowbody
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
first od pedal I bought...and first one I sold...could never get a good tone out of it...

Axekisser
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I did the Monte Allums tri-gain/rectifier mod plus a few of my own and it works well into a screamer!

BBQLS1
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I did the Monte Allums tri-gain/rectifier mod plus a few of my own and it works well into a screamer!

The Monte stuff is what I got. What did you think about it?

The Pup
01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a Keeley modified DS-1 (not the ultra) and it's cool for what it does. But it sure doesn't clean up well with the guitar's volume control.

BBQLS1
01-02-2008, 08:53 AM

Bump for an answer.

Pearly Gator
01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
The DS-1 works great with a Strat. I play one through both the MIT and MIJ versions. Tone around 10 o'clock, volume near noon and Distortion pretty high.

I did some mods to the Taiwan model over the years. Fuzz Central, Monte, etc. None of them did anything spectacular with my rig. The stock pedal works fine.

YMMV, IMHO, ....

Gary

steveb
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with what people say about the settings. I kept mine with the tone below 9:00 & distortion around 3:00. I changed one of the clipping diodes to a LED, & that increased the output. You can hear me using a Les Paul, DS1 into a BF Bassman head & 2-12 cab. Sounds a little buzzy, but I guess it works for the song. The lead starts around 2:58.
http://www.sbkustoms.com/music/Wonder%20Why.mp3

I recently did the minimal mods listed at the bottom of this page:http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=28

I like the sounds a bit more, not as squashed on the higher gain settings, plus I think it cleans up better than before. Although, it doesn't really sound like a DS1 anymore. Less mush, more rock sounds.

Soothsayer
01-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Sign me up, I love the DS-1....

I really like the old MIJ ones with the silver screw.

micjonga
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I have owned modded and non-modded DS1 pedals over the year. Modded is the only way to go with this pedal. I actually still have and get to play the Keeley modded DS1. BIG AND FAT!!!!

Awesome pedal when modded!

BBQLS1
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I have owned modded and non-modded DS1 pedals over the year. Modded is the only way to go with this pedal. I actually still have and get to play the Keeley modded DS1. BIG AND FAT!!!!

Awesome pedal when modded!

Good, I'm hearing good things about the Monte Allums stuff, so hopefully it'll be good.

rob2001
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I've got a DS-1 around, it's ok. I record a lot and somtimes it's just what a tune needs. I've only found it useful with the tone very low, but my amp is pretty bright to start with. As for mods, I haven't had a modded DS-1 but I have an SD-1 modded by Indyguitarist that has not been off my board in 2 years, holding it's place as my favorite lead boost over MANY other candidates, boutique or not. Check out Indyguitarist for mods. Do it yourself or i'm pretty sure they will do it for you also.

HipKitty
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Indyguitarist definitely has a good rep..worth checking into.

HOOPOOS
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
i used a stock DS1 for a year, it's too thin and bright for a single coil, but it produce a nice tone for some alternative rock solo like 'the man who sold the world'. With humbucker it's better but it still can not produce a fat chord tone. So i think it's more usable for humbucker solo guitarist.

re-animator
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I came home with the urge to play "any way you want it" today... plugged in the ds-1 and cheesy 80s tone was just a stomp away.

teleman55
01-02-2008, 11:50 PM

brianf
He's right but I did the Keeley mod and got a new awesome pedal, one of my favorite ones. What I did next was buy a new DS-1 (they're cheap). Why?? I wanted a stock one for it's unique classic thing too. Just keep the tone to the left.

Hamer95USA
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Hey guys,

If you have a stock DS-1 pedal, run the tone at 10 o' clock, the distortion between 2 to 5 o'clock and the level where you think it's best. I had 2 MIJ DS-1 pedals at one point last year, an '83 and a silver screw DS-1. I already had my '83 MIJ modded with the Analogman DS-1 Super mod and it improved the range of the tone control and reduced the noise of the pedal. I sold the MIJ silver screw DS-1 to a friend and used the money for an MI Audio v2 Crunch Box. Both of the DS-1 pedals I had sounded the same with the silver screw having a momentary switching light. I'm interested in getting an MIT DS-1 pedal for cheap and having Analogman's Pro mod w/ midrange mod installed.

Guitar George

BBQLS1
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I have the Monte mod, installed by Chad Matthews.

Way, way more gain, clarity, et al than the stock. It's a keeper for me, although not always on the board (bumped by Zendrive, DGTM, Ulbrick Axe).

Any other changes besides gain?

TimH
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a black label MIJ DS-1. I actually don't mind the tone entirely for certain things but think I'd like to try some mods for it. I know Keeley won't mod an MIJ DS1 and the Tri-Rectifier mod isn't available for this pedal...can anyone tell me for sure which, if any, mods can be done to this pedal?

Hamer95USA
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a black label MIJ DS-1. I actually don't mind the tone entirely for certain things but think I'd like to try some mods for it. I know Keeley won't mod an MIJ DS1 and the Tri-Rectifier mod isn't available for this pedal...can anyone tell me for sure which, if any, mods can be done to this pedal?

Hey TimH,

You might want to check out the Analogman DS-1 Super mod. Better range on the tone control, less noise, and still retains its killer distortion.

Guitar George

rongtr
01-03-2008, 03:09 PM
+1 on the Analogman mod. A friend of mine has the modded DS-1 and loves it!

rhythmrocker
01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Any other changes besides gain?
More grit if you want to dial it in; more tweekable eq.

T-Von
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey Guys,

Hi Tim, I have a Rectifier Tri-Gain Mod available for the MIJ DS-1. My new Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus with the Burr Brown chip won't work but my Rectifier Tri-Gain will. You'll need to shoot me an e-mail telling me you have the MIJ but I do offer a mod for it. I usually send out the newer pedal instruction automatically but I do have the vintage pedal instructions for my regular Rectifier and Rectifier Tri-Gain Mods.

Thanx,

BBQLS1
01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Tim, I have a Rectifier Tri-Gain Mod available for the MIJ DS-1. My new Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus with the Burr Brown chip won't work but my Rectifier Tri-Gain will. You'll need to shoot me an e-mail telling me you have the MIJ but I do offer a mod for it. I usually send out the newer pedal instruction automatically but I do have the vintage pedal instructions for my regular Rectifier and Rectifier Tri-Gain Mods.

Thanx,

Hi Monte!

I ordered your kit (just hasn't gotten here yet) for the DS1. How is it with humbucker guitars?

T-Von
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Monte!

I ordered your kit (just hasn't gotten here yet) for the DS1. How is it with humbucker guitars?

Sounds great. Very rich. thick gain. The LED side of the Tri-Gain mod if my favorite by far. Serious sustain and harmonics.

Thanx,

Dickie Fredericks
01-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Its aweome. Great pedal after the mod. I did the tri gain on 2 DS-1's and loved em both.

I keep one on the board just in case...

Axekisser
01-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I did the Allums mod on three of my pedals. I think the tri-gain sounds great on my DS-1.

TimH
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanx,

email sent!

Shawn S.
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Would this be a good idea for the beginning glissando on Vai's "Fire Garden." I've been needing that sound lately for a few particular things (odd weird music) but I'm unsure what he does to do it. I'd think it'd involve this pedal, he likes them a lot. And hell, I'd love to go for it for only $40.

BBQLS1
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Would this be a good idea for the beginning glissando on Vai's "Fire Garden." I've been needing that sound lately for a few particular things (odd weird music) but I'm unsure what he does to do it. I'd think it'd involve this pedal, he likes them a lot. And hell, I'd love to go for it for only $40.

They are pretty cheap.