PDA

View Full Version : JJ ECC83S Vs. EH 12ax7

Dr. Jimmy
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
In a Marshall 50W reissue (or anything, for that matter). Who uses what and why?

HipKitty
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
For a long while, most of my Marshall clients were using the JJ's...they seem to be migrating towards the Tung Sols now.

rooster
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Depends on the amp. I generally go for JJ's, but they do have a darker, smoother tone. I like the ECC803S in the first position for most traditional Marshalls. However, a lot of people like the brightness of the TS reissues; I just can't take the background noise.

rooster.

Rosewood
01-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I've pretty much settled in on JJ 12ax7's for most amps and tung-sol for amps that need a little high end boost.

JasonP
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I find JJ 12ax7's dull and lifeless. Add a darker sound that also makes the amp sit back in the speakers. BTW: I'm not jut going off trying one tube.
The EH tubes have more of an upper mid range spike and brighter sound to them. Have a nice bottom end.
I like the new chinese stuff for higher gain. Has a little more going on and a little more compressed tone.
Ei's are big and clean sounding. Bright as well. Nice sounding tube.
I like to mix and match tubes. I find all amps that I've had sound better and more alive this way.
I haven't tried the tung-sols yet but I've heard there very nice!

rooster
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Try one of those ECC803's from JJ. They are much more "lively." It's weird, but since I build my amps with JJ's in them, I don't have the "lifeless" problem. Maybe it's just what you voice the amp around. I figured they'd sound a little dull in Marshalls (at least their ECC83S's), but Marshalls were voiced with Mullards (at least, the good Marshalls were).

rooster.

JasonP
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Never heard of rooster amps.

ChickenLover
01-23-2008, 05:50 AM
The JJ ECC803S is much, much brighter than the ECC83S as rooster mentioned. It has longer plates and the two I have are way too microphonic for V1. The ECC83S is a bit dull/dark on top and the ECC803S is just the opposite...brighter than most. The EHs seem to have a weird bass hump in there somewhere but they also have some extra high-mids...but the microphonics are low. Depends on the circuit...sometimes they sound good and sometimes not. I recently got some Tung Sol reissues and like them a lot. They are a bit brighter than some but it's a balanced bright if that makes any sense...the ECC803S is really sparkley, maybe too much so for some. Microphonics on the two I have are low.

I only have limited experience with the JJ ECC803S and the Tung Sols though...I have a bunch of EH and JJ ECC83S (some with Ruby or Mesa badging).

JamesHealey
01-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I like my JJ's i use them throughout my amp.

1xGold 2xECC83, 2xEL34.. sounds fantastic.

JasonP
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
chicken lover I agree with you're findings. . I hear that about the 803 being microphonic. Tung-sol sounds like a wonderful tube I'll have to give it a try.

bunuel
01-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm totally sold on the JJs, though it does depend on the amp. They have a lower rate of failure & sound better. BTW, so-called "Tung-Sols" are nothing but a label & are made by New Sensor which makes a variety of cheap modern production tubes, not all bad, but to be sure, not the same as the old Tung Sol. For me it is either NOS or JJ.

ChickenLover
01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
bunuel,
So you've tried the Tung Sol reissue? JJ makes 'cheap modern production' tubes too...in fact just about any modern production tube commonly used for guitar amps is 'cheap' when compared to good NOS.

Rosewood
01-24-2008, 07:01 AM
The tung sol is a good tube, a little bright for some amps, perfect in others, you know how that goes.

RonnyLee
01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm totally sold on the JJs, though it does depend on the amp. They have a lower rate of failure & sound better. BTW, so-called "Tung-Sols" are nothing but a label & are made by New Sensor which makes a variety of cheap modern production tubes, not all bad, but to be sure, not the same as the old Tung Sol. For me it is either NOS or JJ.

I put all "new" Tung Sols in My Rivera Quianna, and it sounds amazing.
I may try a JJ in V1 just to see what happens.

Blue Strat
01-25-2008, 05:03 AM
I put all "new" Tung Sols in My Rivera Quianna, and it sounds amazing.
I may try a JJ in V1 just to see what happens.

In a lot of cases, this leads to a very dull sounding amp. Try it though, you never know.

jbird
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
How 'bout a Sovtek 12AX7WB? I've read it's good for Marshall owners for it's gainier characteristics and extra "kick" in heads! It comes stock in my VHT!

RonnyLee
01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
In a lot of cases, this leads to a very dull sounding amp. Try it though, you never know.

Hi Mike, What would you suggest instead? Thanks,
Ronny

jonathansuhr
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
JJ's are a bit noisy, but way better than the EH tubes.

rockindog
01-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Agree with this assessment. I have tried using a JJ ECC83 in my Germino Club 40's V1/V2. This tube results in a dull sounding tone that lacks touch sensitivity, attenuates the highs and dynamics. I avoid using this tube. They may have high gain, but something is missing in the tone department.

JamesHealey
01-26-2008, 02:45 PM
the Sovtek 12AX7WB's are fantastic also, very grindy!

RonnyLee
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM

Thanks, I think I'll skip that little experiment. It just sounds too good like it is.
I've been playing tube amps since 1965, and it's frustrating to have so
many great tube amps out there, with no really great tubes for them.
Surely, someone can build a quality tube - can't they??
With all the wonderful vintage amps, and all the new builders,
it's seems like someone could make a comparable quality tube. :RoCkIn

irwin4star
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I've got all kinds of pre tubes, NOS, new and some in between. I ordered the new Tung-Sol's through tubedepot. Hi gain and balanced for PI. Put them in a Whitney JTM45 and the damn thing blew my socks off. I had I63 mules in. Can't believe my ears. My tube hunt is over.