PDA

View Full Version : Speaker for Champ

steadygarcia
02-13-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm looking to replace the speaker in my '71 Fender Champ (current speaker is 3.2 ohms, 6 Watts). Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the Weber Blue Pups?
Thnx!
LC

Sean French
02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
I've got a Weber Classic Alnico in my '71 Champ.
Huge improvement over the stock speaker.
For the exception of the speaker and on/off switch mine is all original including the tubes.:eek:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/1957gold/IMG_1780.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/1957gold/IMG_1781.jpg

steadygarcia
02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Nice, Looks good! Mine's all original as well, although I did replace the tubes. Kept the old ones, though. I think I'll pick up the Alnico Blue Pups. Thanks for the feedback.
LC

buchla300
02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a Jensen C8R in my Vibro Champ
Great value for money and does the trick for me.

Billy Blooze
02-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I have a Weber Signature 8 in my SF Champ - it sounds great and good value for the price !

myles111
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I've got a Weber Classic Alnico in my '71 Champ.
Huge improvement over the stock speaker.
For the exception of the speaker and on/off switch mine is all original including the tubes.:eek:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/1957gold/IMG_1780.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/1957gold/IMG_1781.jpg

Super choice .... Great speaker in this amp.

Happy playing.

doc
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I used to have one of the Weber Ferromax speakers in a Champ that I foolishly traded before switching the speaker back out. I really miss that speaker. I'm planning to get something similar, but hoping I can get some feedback on my choices before ordering. The ones I'm most interested in are:

Weber 8F150 or 8A150
Weber 8A100
Tone Tubby 8 ceramic

I want whatever will give me the most overall volume without crapping out, but I want a smooth, thick sound. I don't mind a slight edge on top or some slight speaker distortion, but I don't want it to be strident, and don't want it unless the amp is on 10. I don't want to throw away any money, but don't want expensive just for bragging rights. I want to use it for low volume jazz as well as dimed for blues-rock practice.

Also, any mods you have that will get me the most good output from my silverface Champ would be helpful.

J Purcell
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I used to have one of the Weber Ferromax speakers in a Champ that I foolishly traded before switching the speaker back out. I really miss that speaker. I'm planning to get something similar, but hoping I can get some feedback on my choices before ordering. The ones I'm most interested in are:

Weber 8F150 or 8A150
Weber 8A100
Tone Tubby 8 ceramic

I want whatever will give me the most overall volume without crapping out, but I want a smooth, thick sound. I don't mind a slight edge on top or some slight speaker distortion, but I don't want it to be strident, and don't want it unless the amp is on 10. I don't want to throw away any money, but don't want expensive just for bragging rights. I want to use it for low volume jazz as well as dimed for blues-rock practice.

Also, any mods you have that will get me the most good output from my silverface Champ would be helpful.

I'd go with a ceramic rather than an alnico judging by the description of what you're loking for soundwise.
The Weber 8F150 would be a good choice. The TT's are great but probably pricey.

doc
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Would the Tubby have more output than the Weber? Weber doesn't have sensitivity ratings on the site - the Tubby is listed at 96. The Weber is $75 and the Tubby is $90. I don't mind paying extra if I'm getting extra. The hempcone should make the Tubby a bit smoother, but I'm not sure there will be a huge difference there.

cugel
02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
i have played around with both of the high power weber alnico and ceramic
as expected the ceramic gets crunchy and the alnico is more creamy if that makes sense
i actually prefered the alnico. ymmv
imho the reissue italian jensens cant hold a candle to any weber
webers DONT fart out no matter how hard you play. it may compress but it dont fart
a tt is interesting but i have no experience
btw the webers are LOUD esp. the ceramic, couple that with a 5u4 rectifier and kendricks mods and you have a fire breather

blackba
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I would probably get an 8" weber alnico signature series. I put a used Weber 8A125 in my '66 Champ and it has been great, very smooth, rarely farts out unlike the stock speaker which farted out frequently.

Also the 3.2ohms is the DC resistance, not the full impedance of the speaker, just get a 4ohm speaker. Also you can fit a 1/4" jack in the RCA speaker jack hole, this allows you to easily plug in 4ohm extension cabs....

dorfmeister
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Any more thoughts on the Tone Tubby?

Peeb
03-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Another fine champ thread!

stephen sawall
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
My speaker is torn .... I would like to know also what people like. Is there anything with a lot of bass in it's voice.

koss59
03-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Does anyone know if the Weber speaker in the Fender 57 champ is the same as one of his stock speakers?

coldfingaz
03-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Weber 8F125

GuitarsFromMars
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a Weber Signature 8 in my SF Champ - it sounds great and good value for the price !

I got a Weber Sig 8 ceramic, today in the mail. I have it installed in a 1979 SF Champ. I have a total of 6 speakers made by Weber. ALL Weber speakers rock !

:cool:

Davo17
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I got a Weber Sig 8 ceramic, today in the mail. I have it installed in a 1979 SF Champ. I have a total of 6 speakers made by Weber. ALL Weber speakers rock !

:cool:
How do you like it in the champ? That speaker struck me as harsh and thin.

Singin' Dave
04-24-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a 4ohm Weber ceramig Sig8S in my '68 Champ and love it. The ribbed "s" version seems to hold up really well delivering really solid bass for such a small speaker, smooth mids and nice highs. Hard to go wrong for ~$30 shipped.

pitbull45
04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know if the Weber speaker in the Fender 57 champ is the same as one of his stock speakers?

Pretty sure it's the Weber Chicago Vintage Alnico that's loaded in the Fender '57 Champ

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/cva8.htm

direwolf
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I just ordered the TT alnico. Now I need tubes, any info on A Brimar 6v6 and a Mullard 12ax7.

direwolf
05-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Got my tone tubby alnico and it's great. No let down. Just what the doctor ordered.

Peeb
05-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Got my tone tubby alnico and it's great. No let down. Just what the doctor ordered.
Sound clips available?

tonedawg
12-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Ahhh the champ... I am now seriously thinking that on the Layla album they might of used a tweed champ but put it through a 12" speaker cab. I got a fairly good deal on a tweed champ ( and having played/owned them before I was always disappointed with 8" speaker farts, buzzes and lack of clarity ) and put a TT 8" and sadly not much improvement. A friend says to let it break in, but it farts/buzzes/whizzes etc out of the box, its just not very promising.

Snottyboy
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Ahhh the champ... I am now seriously thinking that on the Layla album they might of used a tweed champ but put it through a 12" speaker cab. I got a fairly good deal on a tweed champ ( and having played/owned them before I was always disappointed with 8" speaker farts, buzzes and lack of clarity ) and put a TT 8" and sadly not much improvement. A friend says to let it break in, but it farts/buzzes/whizzes etc out of the box, its just not very promising.

I had a TT in an early SF Champ. I thought it was okay, but a little dark and undefined for my taste. Best speaker I've tried (and I've tried a bunch) is the Weber 8A100...maybe a little darker voiced, but has good clarity and full tonal range to do pretty much anything.

dallasblues
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I've been really happy with the Weber Signature 8 in my '59 Champ. There are lots of good speakers out there, and many of them would likely be a nice fit. Remember, Fender didn't necessarily put top of the line speakers in Champs to begin with. They're budget/student line amps after all.

digiTED
12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Weber Blue Pup 8 in mine and i love it. Surprisingly good lows and smooth highs. Great at bedroom levels and gets a nice bark going wound up. Handles fuzz and dirt pedals very well, too.

http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/