PDA

View Full Version : New Ark Amp Models

fyrwyr
02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
NY Amp Show pic courtesy of Premier Guitar Magazine, Matt Schellenberg in back drawing new head cabs, Bill Holter jamming away into the Model A, the naked chasis in back is the prototype A-28 that Hansoloist played through and reviewed:
http://www.premierguitar.com/issue/features/images/200807_newyorkampshow_2.jpg

The new Video demo from the NY Amp Show by Premier Guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZdXrVytwo

Model A+
http://arkamps.com/images/a+3.jpg

Model A-28

http://protonezone.com/images/a28.6.jpg

Model B

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-1.jpg

Aviator Brian Wooten on tour with Trace Adkins band
http://arkamps.com/images/Aviator%20Live%20with%20BW.jpeg

Some short decriptions of our current product line:

The Model A: 60 watt master volume EL-34 based single channel amp with a mix of British and American "colors" on tap, very organic tone. Complex circuit design 8 years in development...$4000 for base model

The Model A-28: 28 watt version of the Model A; 2 6V6's in fixed bias with our new wide sweep mid control that can almost completely bypass the tone stack. $2000 for base model.

The Model B: Nicknamed "TweedFace", this 20 watt cathode biased 6V6 non-master volume baby goes from ultra shimmery and warm cleans to ferocious thick overdrive. My fav amp of the "Fender-ish" camp, absolutely addictive to play! $1600 for base model

The Model C: Nicknamed "The Sch-Ark" (pictured above), this 15 watt single ended 6L6(or EL34 or 6V6) monster produces a warm clean tone and an aggressive wall of sound I have never heard in it's size, and rarely heard in amps much larger! A master volume amp with a unique "Jaws" control that you have to hear to appreciate, not a "nice" amp at all! $1300 for base model

The Model D-18: The newest of the bunch, looks a lot like the Model A-28 (as of right now) but has a completely different circuit. This amp has 2 EL84's and 2 12ax7's, around 18 watts. Very warm and crunchy in normal mode and extremely high gain capable with the boost switch. A real joy to play, cleans up great and has that special VH "1984" thing happening; you may catch yourself playing VH licks with it;)
$1800 base price
The Model D-30: 30 watt 6L6 version of the D-18, huge growly sound when driven and an excellent clean too, very fun to play, still deciding on certain options...
More products coming soon....

Bill Compeau
bill@firewirestrings.net

mikef1331
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Sweet looking amps! How would you define the tone of the new Ark Model C?

fyrwyr
02-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Sweet looking amps! How would you define the tone of the new Ark Model C?

Thanks!

The Model C has a clean mode that is Fender-ish but can be wound up to a mean growl. The Mean mode has a very rude craked up plexi on fire type sound even with a single 6L6; it can go from the who to AC/DC to somewhat of an Early VH tone. It uses one 12au7, one 12ax7 and a 6L6 or an EL34. 3 tubes in total and a 15 watt output tranny by Heyboer. Handwired of course;)

B Vance
02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I sincerely hope they will all be in tote to the Detroit fest on the 1st...:RoCkIn

fyrwyr
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I sincerely hope they will all be in tote to the Detroit fest on the 1st...:RoCkIn

You betcha;)

murkat
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
twas nice meeting, seeing you guys at the Nashville guitar show. Nice gear!

fyrwyr
02-16-2008, 11:40 AM
twas nice meeting, seeing you guys at the Nashville guitar show. Nice gear!
Thanks my friend, nice meeting you too!

ptdesign
02-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Those are beautiful amps.

catherinef
02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Beautiful looking amp! What are the controls on the front panel?

Thanks!

fyrwyr
02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Beautiful looking amp! What are the controls on the front panel?

Thanks!

Thanks!

The layout from left to right: Boost switch, master volume, one knob tone stack, mean knob (adds more "voltage" to the sound, more presence), gain knob and mode switch (from clean(ish) to mean)

Just listened to the final proto-type of what will now be called the model "B", and am very pleased with it. A twin 6v6 cathode biased non-master volume clean machine that has incredible gain when cranked. Works VERY well with the guitar volume pot! Warm like a fender but extremely chimey, almost like a 12 string sound! I have never heard an amp sound quite like it. Also has a 2 knob tone stack that works very well, with the treble all the way down we were getting somewhat of a cranked plexi tone out of it.

Next to come is a new chasis and a new head shell design to compliment it, hope to have it ready for the NJ amp show in May...

catherinef
02-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you for taking the time to explain the layout. I was wondering if it had a master volume. Looks beautiful, and based on your reputation, I'm positive it sounds just as spectacular. I'll definitely be checking one out!

catherinef
02-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Just ran across another thread where you were describing an amp you were tentatively going to call the SAILFISH. Sounded like your take on the Bassman. Is this amp still being actively pursued? If so, would love to hear more of the details. Thanks so much!

fyrwyr
02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Just ran across another thread where you were describing an amp you were tentatively going to call the SAILFISH. Sounded like your take on the Bassman. Is this amp still being actively pursued? If so, would love to hear more of the details. Thanks so much!

Yeah, the "sailfish" nick name is still up in the air, but the design is almost complete, still finalizing the tone stack and debating about keeping the boost function, I like it but Randy (our new designer/co-designer) is having second thoughts about it. It runs 2 6V6's push-pull in cathode bias at around 15 watts-lower plate voltages on this model. The chime on this amp is almost 12 string/chorus like,I don't recall ever hearing another amp quite like it.

I have decided to make the official model name (Not the nick name) the "model B" that way the "B" can remind people that it has some similarities to an old Bassman, our cleanest amp so far.

This is a non-master amp that when pushed beyond 12:00 it starts to breakup beautifully, and when maxed out soloing becomes very tempting:dude

It also has a 2 knob tone stack with the mid being static inside, works very well.

I hope to have the display model ready for the NJ amp show May 10, possibly by March 1 for the Motor City Amp Showcase. The chasis itself is around 15 1/4" inches wide, the model C has a 12 inch wide chasis.

We are currently working on a single 12" cab for the model B and C, the drawings are done, just need to test it out...

Thanks for your interest!

Bill

catherinef
02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the NJ amp show in May!!!

fyrwyr
02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the NJ amp show in May!!!

Me too!!!

We are preparing to build the first "trade show" worthy Model B this week, I really hope it is ready for the Detroit amp showcase March 1!! I cranked it really good today and had a hard time stopping, for a "clean" amp it sure likes to cook!!

fyrwyr
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Just finalized the design on the model B last night, should be ready soon;)

fyrwyr
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
We just sold a model B before the first demo model is finished being built, I am thinking about offering it as a combo as well now....

Pics will come when the box is done...

fyrwyr
02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like the model B will be mostly ready for the Detroit showcase, it may just need a back panel which will not stop us from bringing it along, it will still make noise;)

teleamp
02-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Man, I wish I could make it, but that's just a little too far to drive.

I look forward to hearing more about the single ended amp.

Mike

fyrwyr
02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Man, I wish I could make it, but that's just a little too far to drive.

I look forward to hearing more about the single ended amp.

Mike

The model C or "sCh-ark" is very aggressive thus the nick-name;) It has a nice clean mode but with much less volume than the mean mode, this things really cranks through our 2x12 cab:RoCkIn 1 12au7, 1 12ax7 and a 6L6 or EL-34. Not based off any design that exists, totally unique little amp:RoCkIn

fyrwyr
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
The model B which is almost complete, box and all has a new second nick-name; the "Tweed-face". Sounds like two different vintage amps in one, Very addictive to play;)

fyrwyr
02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Today the new Model B should be finished, just need to put the chasis into the box, they are each in diferent countries at this point, Canada and the US:)

fyrwyr
02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
bump...

sarms58
02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Pictures don't do justice to these amps...I got to really look them over at the show in Tennessee and the cabinet work is truly fine art. I talked to the tall guy who does the cabinet work...forgot his name - and he was way too humble - these are top notch. Even my wife thought it would be cool to have one in our living room...

Steve in Alabama

fyrwyr
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Pictures don't do justice to these amps...I got to really look them over at the show in Tennessee and the cabinet work is truly fine art. I talked to the tall guy who does the cabinet work...forgot his name - and he was way too humble - these are top notch. Even my wife thought it would be cool to have one in our living room...

Steve in Alabama

Thanks so much Steve for the pat on the back!! I will tell Matt that you think so highly of his wood working skills!

Thanks for taking the time to check us out in Franklin, we love meeting new people and talking their ears off;)

God bless,

Bill

fyrwyr
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Off to the Detroit Amp Showcase, see ya there! Another new model, the Model B is done and ready to rock.

fyrwyr
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
The newest model got some serious demo time Saturday and we got an order for it too!

There is another amp in my office that is begging to be released, a new twist on the Princeton and with a gain input that really cooks!

Sam Evans
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
C'mon, Bill. At least I post pictures! Your stuff is too cool to live only in my imagination.

SE
CI

fyrwyr
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
C'mon, Bill. At least I post pictures! Your stuff is too cool to live only in my imagination.

SE
CI

LOL! I am still waiting for pics that are stored in Matt's wife's camera, sorry;)

I hope to post them soon, I think you will like it;)

fyrwyr
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
The first Model B will be a signature model for the incredible Detroit guitarist Dave Humphries. It will be called the DH21, Dave played that amp for a very long time on Saturday and wowed people with his incredible playing skills and warm personality. Dave has long been one of my fav guitarists and I am thrilled to have him as the first artist to own this new Ark model. He has agreed to go on road trips with us to demo the amps from now on, no more need for me to hack around for hours on end any more;)

CustomAmpCovers
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Bill,

I saw your amps at the Motor City Amp Showcase and I have to say they sound as good as they look! Matt does an awesome job with the woodwork. Well done!

Glen Wodnicki
Custom Amp Covers, inc.
www.amplifiercovers.com (http://www.amplifiercovers.com)

fyrwyr
03-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Bill,

I saw your amps at the Motor City Amp Showcase and I have to say they sound as good as they look! Matt does an awesome job with the woodwork. Well done!

Glen Wodnicki
Custom Amp Covers, inc.
www.amplifiercovers.com (http://www.amplifiercovers.com)

Thanks Glen! Your covers are very good as well, very classy approach to covers, and I dig the fake amps you made too;)

Thanks for attending and sharing your cool product line with us all!

Bill

fyrwyr
03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Pushing for another new model before the next show, must be a new record in the release of models per month;) This new designer that joined our team brings by new chasis' for me to try almost every week!

fyrwyr
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Some short decriptions of our current product line:

The Model A: 60 watt master volume EL-34 based single channel amp with a mix of British and American "colors" on tap, very organic tone. Complex circuit design 8 years in development...

The Model B: Nicknamed the "Tweed Face", this 20 watt cathode biased 6V6 non-master volume baby goes from ultra shimmery and warm cleans to feroscious thick overdrive. My fav amp of the "Fender-ish" camp, absolutely addictive to play!

The Model C: Nicknamed "The Sch-Ark", this 15 watt single ended 6L6 monster produces an aggressive wall of sound I have never heard in it's size, and rarely heard in amps much larger! A master volume amp with a unique "Jaws" control that you have to hear to appreciate, not a "nice" amp at all!

On the drawing board: The MC50 is a 50 watt 6l6 based 2 mode amp, that goes from Princeton inspired clean to Cranked "Plexi-ish" tones in 1 circuit. -None of our amps are "2 channel" yet all have the ability to play clean or heavily overdriven, they just all do it differently;) The MC 50 is basically done circuit-wise, we just need to design and build a head box for it...
Also at the starting gate is a 6L6 based high gain monster somewhere in the realm of 5150's and the like, pretty much dialed in but debating on when or if to release it; our new designer on staff needs to slow down;)....

fyrwyr
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
After jamming on 4 proto-types last night I think I found yet another serious contender to add to our line, a 2 channel 28 watt Marshall meets Fender sort of tones, the 2nd channel has a little more gain and more mid content. Can do Neal Young explosive tones no prob and can switch inputs via an AB pedal. I like setting one channel for rythm and one for leads most of the time. You can use either channel for rythm or lead, they just respond differently. Very addictive amp, responds a little bit like a trainwreck but with a different voice. Using 6L6's right now and it sounds mighty fine, can't wait to hear it with EL34's next....

Sam Evans
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Y'all are on fire!! Pics?

TaronKeim
03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
So what are the panel controls for the Model A? I absolutely love the cab designs and clips I've heard!

_TJK*

fyrwyr
03-13-2008, 05:03 PM
So what are the panel controls for the Model A? I absolutely love the cab designs and clips I've heard!

_TJK*

Thanks for the pat on the back:AOK

From left to right:

Standby, Power, Tone stack bypass pot, Presence, bass, mid, treble, Low boost switch, high cut switch, Master Volume, Preamp gain.

The lower input is "normal", the upper input adds an extra gain stage, footswitchable with an a/b pedal. 60 watts with the right EL-34's, 4 12ax7's total.

Brian Wooten is still diggin' the one he took on the road with Trace Adkins, he is mainly playing a Tele into it.

That thing LOVES Brimar preamp tubes we found, if you can find them, but any decent 12ax7 will do just fine;)

TaronKeim
03-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks a lot for the info, that sounds like a unique feature set... I listened to the Amp Fest vid and really liked what I heard.

I play seven string jazz/modern/film music... the tonality is a little more aggressive than what I go for... but there is a lot in its voicing, especially clarity, that I like.

What is the clean headroom like on the amp? Can it take any other tube types?

_TJK*

Thanks for the pat on the back:AOK

From left to right:

Standby, Power, Tone stack bypass pot, Presence, bass, mid, treble, Low boost switch, high cut switch, Master Volume, Preamp gain.

The lower input is "normal", the upper input adds an extra gain stage, footswitchable with an a/b pedal. 60 watts with the right EL-34's, 4 12ax7's total.

Brian Wooten is still diggin' the one he took on the road with Trace Adkins, he is mainly playing a Tele into it.

That thing LOVES Brimar preamp tubes we found, if you can find them, but any decent 12ax7 will do just fine;)

fyrwyr
03-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, that sounds like a unique feature set... I listened to the Amp Fest vid and really liked what I heard.

I play seven string jazz/modern/film music... the tonality is a little more aggressive than what I go for... but there is a lot in its voicing, especially clarity, that I like.

What is the clean headroom like on the amp? Can it take any other tube types?

_TJK*

We had a guy come into our room at the last NY Amp Show and he plugged in an Ibanez RG style electric and played strait up bebop on the neck pickup and blew us all away at how authentic this amp can sound at so many styles. I suggest using lower gain preamp tubes for even more clean headroom. I have never tried any other tubes in it other than KT-77's which sounded great, probably better for you I suppose. I really like the clean and slightly broken up tones this amp does, very addictive circuit to play even at very low volumes:AOK

Our current speakers sound much more detailed than what you heard on the video, more like what the amp was designed around.

I need to re-record some clips on our site using the new speakers....

TaronKeim
03-19-2008, 07:59 PM
That sounds very interesting, indeed!

I might have to contact you when I start shopping around for an amp again!

_TJK*

We had a guy come into our room at the last NY Amp Show and he plugged in an Ibanez RG style electric and played strait up bebop on the neck pickup and blew us all away at how authentic this amp can sound at so many styles. I suggest using lower gain preamp tubes for even more clean headroom. I have never tried any other tubes in it other than KT-77's which sounded great, probably better for you I suppose. I really like the clean and slightly broken up tones this amp does, very addictive circuit to play even at very low volumes:AOK

Our current speakers sound much more detailed than what you heard on the video, more like what the amp was designed around.

I need to re-record some clips on our site using the new speakers....

fyrwyr
03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
That sounds very interesting, indeed!

I might have to contact you when I start shopping around for an amp again!

_TJK*

Sounds good, thanks for checking us out:RoCkIn

fyrwyr
03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Getting ready for the Newport guitar fest in Florida, should be a good time!

fyrwyr
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Yet another amp in my room begging to be released, a 14 watt twin EL84 cathode biased tone monster that has an awesome master volume and goes from sweet voxy cleans to ultra high gain all in one ultra pure circuit layout, my new fav; could this be the model D?

justonwo
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Those have to be some of the coolest head cases I've ever seen. Even my wife, who can't stand most things guitar-related, likes them.

Any plans to get into the world of power scaling at any point?

fyrwyr
03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Those have to be some of the coolest head cases I've ever seen. Even my wife, who can't stand most things guitar-related, likes them.

Any plans to get into the world of power scaling at any point?

Thanks so much!

As far as power scaling, I will tell you that it just doesn't do it for me.
Alot of extra stuff that could go wrong and doesn't sound like an amp "au natural". We have master volume amps that sound really nice at bedroom levels, at least as good as the power scaling I've heard.

I have a friend who uses Power Scaling in his amps only because people keep asking for it, but he doesn't like it himself!

I would rather use a good attenuator myself if I wanted a cranked power section at low levels;)

Sam Evans
03-31-2008, 09:33 AM
The new Model D will probably share the same head box design as the Model C (or Sch-Ark). Final tweaks are in process on the model D and hopefully will be ready for the Newport Guitar Festival in Miami April 11-13, this thing is a real treat to play for sure!

Specs: 14-18 watts depending on plate voltage preference

Custom 25 watt Heyboer Transformer, top grade grain oriented steel

2 EL-84 cathode biased power section

2 12ax7's

Master Volume

-goes from chimey clean to heavy crunch that sounds like a cross between a Plexi, an Orange Rocker 30 and a Vox AC30.

This will for the most part take the place of the model C as it is more versatile but we will still build the Model C for those wanting that particular more aggresive tone. The Model C will be more of a special order amp that we probably won't ship to our dealers, at least not yet...

This one sounds right up my alley!!

SE
CI

fyrwyr
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
This one sounds right up my alley!!

SE
CI

My fav of the bunch as of right now, but that could change by tommorrow;)

fyrwyr
04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Our new design partner Randy Fay is getting ready to release his version of a "Wreck" style amp, and I am currently working with him on circuit ideas and designing a head cab for it. The name will be the "Ship Wreck" by Phaez amplification. I am buying the first prototype, it sounds simply amazing so far! 2 6V6's and possibly a 1/4 power switch, a very unique head box is in the works for it;)

Equally as good is the new "Duel-ly" proto-type we are messing around with, a 2 channel crunch monster using 6V6's as well, non-master but with a power cut switch option we are considering, incredible tone; sounds like a cross between an Orange, a Plexi and a Vox. Very throaty overdrive on both Channels, channel switching is possible via an a/b box into the 2 input jacks.

Lot's of fun around here lately!

Bill

fyrwyr
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Matt is on his way back from The Newport Guitar Festival (Miami) and he hit it off with a bass manufacturer who wants to collab on a bass amp for upright, we shall see..

There is another unique little amp on the drawing board right now that hopefully will be ready in the next week, a 2 channel 5 watt bedroom/ "dual" single ended recording amp, very unique, I can't wait 'til Randy finished it up for a test drive! That guy is on a serious roll!!!

The new Model D is pretty much done now, did the final tweak today other than the 1/4 power switch we plan on adding.

-16 watts
-2 EL-84's
-Cathode biased
-2 12ax7's
-Heyboer Output Tranny
-ultra pure signal path

A real rock and roll power house, we also have a 30 watt 6L6 version that sounds absolutely massive!!!

fyrwyr
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
More models are in the works;)

fyrwyr
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
On average we are working on about 1 or 2 new designs a week, most get revamped a bit and some get dropped alltogether, but at this rate I can see at least 1 new model - the circuit design anyway-being done at about every month or so. I never though I would be testing so many amps, my ears need a serious break!!!

If you are interested in a custom one-off design give us a ring, we can pretty much do anything that can be hand-wired, no circuit boards for us (not that there is anything wrong with that;)

fyrwyr
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
The EL-84 Model D is tweaked to the max now and ready to go, we found an effective non tone robbing way to overcome the inherent problems EL-84's have with high frequencies when cranked, Very beefy sounding EL84 based amp, tons of thick crunch and amazing lead tones.

fyrwyr
04-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Decided to finally build a 6V6/6L6 version of the Model A/Aviator circuit, this will have less switches in the circuit and more point to point meaning a whole new chasis and layout on the front and back panels. Will probably design a smaller head box as well to "match" the lower wattage and "less is more" approach. The preamp circuit will remain basically unchanged. Will keep y'all posted;) If this turns out like we hope by next weekend we plan on sending it down to Lance of Guitar 25 for a review and a good workout.

Category 5
04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Your wearing me out with all those new models, must be lot's of fun to hang out at your shop-cool amps!!!!

DonR

fyrwyr
04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Your wearing me out with all those new models, must be lot's of fun to hang out at your shop-cool amps!!!!

DonR

Thanks man, lots of fun but my ears are pretty shot of late, time for an attenuator I think;)

Randy Fay our newest designer/co-designer is a freak when it comes to circuit design, he comes over once or twice a week with new circuits or revisions and leaves them here for me to evaluate at the exspense of my hearing:phones

My fav models designed by him so far are the Model B (tweed face) and the new Model D which will eventually be released to stores, custom order only right now... The "Duel-ly" is a non-master crunch machine that I really like too, too many amps to choose from lately, Matt can't keep up with the head box designs and builds.

Hopefully we can meet at one of these amp shows eh?

Keep up the good work Don!

Bill

fyrwyr
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Still more designs in the works, we could be releasing new models every 6 months for a long time if we so desired... but we will make sure we have taken each design as far as we can go with it before letting them out of the nest;)

fyrwyr
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
The new prototype 6V6 version of the model A should be done this weekend, then comes the blasting of the eardrums!

fyrwyr
04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Yesterday the prototype of the new Model A2 was finished and so far I can hear very little that needs tweaking, the lows mainly. It has the sound I was hearing in my head-that sweet model A preamp sound mixed with a 28 watt 6V6 power section, what a match!!!

Also includes our new very powerful tone stack and our improved master Volume that sounds amazing at VERY low volumes and has a much smaller chasis; 6" narrower.

We won't have a head box for it for a little while until Matt catches up on the Model B's and 1x12 cabs he has on his plate but I will post pics as soon as we have them. The head box shape will be similar I expect just about 30% smaller, I plan on an Aviator version (leather)as well...

I have been wanting a version like this for quite a while and I must say it has exceeded my expectations:eek: My DREAM amplifier come true!

Pricing still to come....

fyrwyr
04-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Still diggin' this A-28 proto, it will be somewhat cheaper to build too;) The new D-18 with El84's head box is drawn but still needs to be built, the A-28 still needs a head design drawn up for the new smaller chasis. It is getting hard to be patient when you have all these great sounding chasis laying around with no home yet! A little at a time.....

fyrwyr
04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
It is decided; the Model D-18 will be the next model "officially" introduced.
We will build one model for ourselves for now for pics, soundclips and trade shows, orders will still be taken but no floor models for stores for a little while yet... Pics as soon as I have 'em.

Price is coming soon...

fyrwyr
05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
The first batch of Model B's are in the works now. Each of our stores: Motor City Guitar (http://www.motorcityguitar.com),World Music Nashville (http://www.worldmusicnashville.com), and a new dealer in the Chicago area will get floor models. The floor models aren't for sale, we will be taking custom orders only.
When they are all done I will try to get a group picture as I expect Matt to make them all look different;)

fyrwyr
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
This Model A-28 (6V6) proto-type sitting in my office is simply unreal; the most organic, thick and juicy tone I have ever experienced, and it cleans up VERY well with the guitar volume too. I really look forward to releasing it to our stores in the near future...

fyrwyr
05-05-2008, 06:51 AM
The beefed up Model D-30 worked out great, much more volume and more punch. Cathodyne phase inverters can use a little boost to get more signal to the power tubes;)

Sam Evans
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Bill-

Cu Top #2 was shipped via Fed Ex 2nd-Day and will arrive Thursday in MI for sure. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your booth, and we're flattered you asked us. I did a quick re-wind of the neck p/up in order to up the chime factor an order of magnitude. The bridge p/up is SHWEEET and HOT!!! Your amps are simply incredible, and this oughta be a match made in nirvana.

All I ask is that you flog it thru the amps appropriately and send me some pics. Best of luck, my friend!!

SE
CI

fyrwyr
05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Bill-

Cu Top #2 was shipped via Fed Ex 2nd-Day and will arrive Thursday in MI for sure. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your booth, and we're flattered you asked us. I did a quick re-wind of the neck p/up in order to up the chime factor an order of magnitude. The bridge p/up is SHWEEET and HOT!!! Your amps are simply incredible, and this oughta be a match made in nirvana.

All I ask is that you flog it thru the amps appropriately and send me some pics. Best of luck, my friend!!

SE
CI

Thanks Sam. I can hardly wait to put a good spankin' on that baby!!!;)

fyrwyr
05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
NY Amp Show here we come!

fyrwyr
05-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Had a great time at the show, thanks to all who came to our booth to hang out with us!

lastwinj
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
wish i could have tried out some of the amps, bill. luckily, plenty of potential clients were ahead of me. :)

great seeing ya again.

germ

fyrwyr
05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
wish i could have tried out some of the amps, bill. luckily, plenty of potential clients were ahead of me. :)

great seeing ya again.

germ

Like wise my good friend! I wish I could have played your amps too, so much to do and so little time...

We had a great time and met some new friends as well.

I wish you great success with your killer amp line;)

Looks like the new Ark A-28 went over pretty well!

Bill

fyrwyr
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
The first A-28 head box is getting built finally, I will show pics when it is done....

fyrwyr
05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
So it now looks like the A-28 will be released before the Model D now thanks to Hansoloist and FFTT and others here at TGP! Doesn't matter to me as I dig them both;)

Pics in a couple weeks I hope...

fyrwyr
05-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Matt is currently at the Chicago Guitar Show all by his lonesome, he is meeting with a new dealer nearby that is also a great player who plays in a band that has the contract for The Harley Davidson get togethers, which I am told is a big deal... So that would make another amp of ours touring the country and peaking peoples curiosity about these unique looking amps...

We keep getting approached by dealers which is very flattering as I fully expected to be a direct only biz at the beginning.

Things have definately picked up since the NY Show and that is encouraging; and I thank Paul Sanchez and Fred Daab for the continued support and friendship, as well as FFTT;)

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive of us since the start we very much appreciate it!

Bill

Mac Daddy 355
05-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Cool stuff Bill
keep up the great work , they are true master pieces

wichita
05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Beautiful work as always guys!

Mac Daddy 355
05-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Last years harvest 07 NY Amp show

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/bduds/ARK.jpg

fyrwyr
05-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks Mac Daddy for the trip down memory lane;) That amp on the right is in Nashville at World Music Nashville. That cab on the left has a face plate of Yellow Heart, a very 3d looking wood grain, almost see-though!

fyrwyr
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Matt is back home from the Chicago show and is now finishing up the first Model A-28 head shell, then comes the Model D and the new style head shells for our friend Randy Fay of Phaez amps, killer amp designer/builder!

The Last Rebel
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Bill, do you have any more updates on the D-18 or the A-28. I'd really like to be kept up to date about these two. Do you have any clips of either of these, or plans to record clips?

fyrwyr
05-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Bill, do you have any more updates on the D-18 or the A-28. I'd really like to be kept up to date about these two. Do you have any clips of either of these, or plans to record clips?

I do not have clips yet but can do that in the next few weeks for the A-28, it is at Matt's house currently and I won't see him for a couple weeks I imagine... The Model D-18 proto may have been sold and we may have to build another for clips etc... I dig them both;)

Bill

The Last Rebel
05-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I do not have clips yet but can do that in the next few weeks for the A-28, it is at Matt's house currently and I won't see him for a couple weeks I imagine... The Model D-18 proto may have been sold and we may have to build another for clips etc... I dig them both;)

Bill
I'd do what ever I can do help a great guy like you. I'm wanting a very thick, sweet, harmonic blues tone, with good cleans, and a tight bass. For cleans, something like Jerry Garcia, and for overdrive something like Joe Bonamassa on his lower gain stuff. I'm guessing the A-28 would be the best at this, from your info and from Hogy's it sound like a thick blues machine, which is something I'm not used to with 6V6's. If you'd prefer to take this up in email that would be more than fine with me.

fyrwyr
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd do what ever I can do help a great guy like you. I'm wanting a very thick, sweet, harmonic blues tone, with good cleans, and a tight bass. For cleans, something like Jerry Garcia, and for overdrive something like Joe Bonamassa on his lower gain stuff. I'm guessing the A-28 would be the best at this, from your info and from Hogy's it sound like a thick blues machine, which is something I'm not used to with 6V6's. If you'd prefer to take this up in email that would be more than fine with me.

Thanks, I will try to email you tonight;)

fyrwyr
05-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Sounds like the Model A-28 or the Model B would fit the bill for ya, but the Model B is a non master volume cathode biased amp and the A-28 has a master volume that works VERY well down to wisper levels and is fixed bias like it's big brother the Model A-60.

Thanks for your support;)

Bill

fyrwyr
05-27-2008, 04:33 PM
The model A-28 head box should be ready this week I expect, pics soon to follow;)

fyrwyr
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Look for a video soon of us at the NY Amp Show by Premier Guitar Magazine, I hear they will be putting it on youtube in the next few weeks...

The July issue will have coverage of the show as well.

v-verb
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Bill, I was talking to my friend Sam Evans who loves your amps! Do you have any dealers or amps in Toronto?

Cheers

Nigel

Sam Evans
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Bill, help out a Canadian brotha'!!!! You gotta be gettin' tired of us Texans.

SE
CI

fyrwyr
05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, Bill, help out a Canadian brotha'!!!! You gotta be gettin' tired of us Texans.

SE
CI

Tired of Texans? Naw;) We only sell direct for sales outside the US for now, if he wants to make a trip to Windsor to play some amps it is only a couple hour drive from Toronto I believe;)

The head box for the demo model of the new model A-28 is mostly done now, just needs the ark logo then it will be ready for pics and then sound clips. I am making seperate pages on our site now for each model to make things less congested on our site, the Model C has it's own page now with new high quality pics...

My home number is (519)979-0951 I will be home most of the day tomorrow and all evening I expect if there are questions or just to chat about gear in general;)

Thanks Sam for your support, that means a lot coming from an artist like yourself!

Bill Compeau
bill@firewirestrings.net
http://72.41.237.4/images/Model%20C%201.jpg

Sam Evans
05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Tired of Texans? Naw;) We only sell direct for sales outside the US for now, if he wants to make a trip to Windsor to play some amps it is only a couple hour drive from Toronto I believe;)

The head box for the demo model of the new model A-28 is mostly done now, just needs the ark logo then it will be ready for pics and then sound clips. I am making seperate pages on our site now for each model to make things less congested on our site, the Model C has it's own page now with new high quality pics...

My home number is (519)979-0951 I will be home most of the day tomorrow and all evening I expect if there are questions or just to chat about gear in general;)

Thanks Sam for your support, that means a lot coming from an artist like yourself!

Bill Compeau
bill@firewirestrings.net
http://72.41.237.4/images/Model%20C%201.jpg

I think you two would get along quite well. Nigel knows his stuff.

BTW- The above pic is spectacular. I mean, how do you do it? It's beyond cool.

fyrwyr
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks Sam, that amp is one of my favs to gaze at for sure, but the new Model D head cab coming up soon might give it a run for it's money;)

Looking forward to working with some Mesquite sometime soon...

fyrwyr
05-31-2008, 08:29 AM
A new 1x12 cab is in the works to better match the Model B head...

fyrwyr
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Building a batch of Model B's in the next couple weeks for all our stores, killer amps for 3d clean and chewey 6V6 growl;)

fyrwyr
06-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Looking forward to the Premier Guitar vids, hope they turned out okhttp://www.adadepot.com/forum/Smileys/yabb/guitar.gif

fyrwyr
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
A-28

http://72.41.237.4/images/2-1.jpg
http://72.41.237.4/images/4-1.jpg
http://72.41.237.4/images/1-1.jpg

fyrwyr
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Above are the pics of the new A-28http://www.adadepot.com/forum/Smileys/yabb/guitar.gif

Knobs From left to right: Presence, Master Volume,Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain

Inputs:
Lower= Normal
Upper= extra gain stage for leads etc..

ontariomaximus
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Stunning looks, can't wait to see the completed amp in person.

ontariomaximus
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
This is the same one Hansoloist played in NJ, IIRC?

fyrwyr
06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
This is the same one Hansoloist played in NJ, IIRC?

You are correct sir;) Same amp:banana

teleamp
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
A-28

Bill, Matt has outdone himself on that cabinet, very cool!

teleamp
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
If you were to build an amp stand in the form of a motorcycle frame with that amp in the gas tanks position, with two round 1X12 cabinets placed where the wheels go......it would be an awesome display.

Sam Evans
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
A-28

Wow. Just, wow.

7/4
06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Beautiful!

fyrwyr
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the pats on the back, I will pass them on to Matt;)

fyrwyr
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
The first batch of Model B's are now in progress, they will be heading to each of our dealers soon... Motor City Guitar (http://www.motorcityguitar.com) (Waterford Mich.), World Music Nashville (http://www.worldmusicnashville.com), Beyond Music (http://www.beyondmusicstore.com) (near Chicago)

908SSP
06-15-2008, 10:42 AM
The first batch of Model B's are now in progress, they will be heading to each of our dealers soon... Motor City Guitar (http://www.motorcityguitar.com) (Waterford Mich.), World Music Nashville (http://www.worldmusicnashville.com), Beyond Music (http://www.beyondmusicstore.com) (near Chicago)

I don't know if you guys know it but that is Matt in the background of this picture he is the designer woodworker extraordinar. Just amazing design then brought into reality.:bow

gooma
06-16-2008, 01:04 AM
A-28

WOW!!!!

Truely amazing workmanship right there:AOK

fyrwyr
06-17-2008, 06:40 PM
WOW!!!!

Truely amazing workmanship right there:AOK

That means a lot coming from you my friend!!!

Thank you!

Bill

fyrwyr
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Premier Guitar video of the Model A at the NY Amp Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZdXrVytwo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZdXrVytwo)

fyrwyr
06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
New interviw with Gearwire.com:

http://www.gearwire.com/billcompeau-arkamps.html

Quite a few mistakes, but he was going by a phone conversation we had previously, close enough;)

fyrwyr
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Just recieved the studio pics from a pro photagrapher of 3 of our amps, amazing quality, I will try to shrink them enough to put online this weekend, huge files!

Glide
06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Bill - Is the A-28 prototype available?

:D

fyrwyr
06-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Bill - Is the A-28 prototype available?

:D

It is now;)
http://protonezone.com/images/a28.6.jpg

Glide
06-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Then box it up and ship it down here.

:)

fyrwyr
06-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Then box it up and ship it down here.

:)

You want our only existing demo model??? We do need one for ourselves too you know;)

I am digging the new pro pictures, really shows the detail in Matt's work:banana

fyrwyr
06-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Model B's with the new matching 1x12's are being built now and will be heading off to all our dealers asap, the Model D head will probably be right after that;)

fyrwyr
06-25-2008, 04:32 PM
More stuff on the drawing board, will let y'all in on it if it turns out the way we hope it does...

fyrwyr
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
The Model A-28 will be heading to Christian Musician Magazine next for a review then it is off to our next potential dealer in NY who recently contacted us with interest in becoming a dealer. Since the NY show cool things have been happening;) Vintage Guitar also has said they plan on a full page feature for Ark soon too!

fyrwyr
07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Another new dealer in Michigan...

fyrwyr
07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
The Model C is currently at Music Go Round in Farmington Michigan, if your in the area check it out. It is on the South East corner of Farmington Rd. and Grand River.

fyrwyr
07-07-2008, 05:52 PM
The Model A-28 is currently in the hands of Christian Musician Magazine for a review, holding my breath;)

fyrwyr
07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Can hardly wait to show y'all the new Model D prototype head shell, it looks incredible, probably my fav of our current lineup!

fyrwyr
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
It may be a while till the new head box is ready but I am pushin Matt to get r done;)

Sam Evans
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Can't wait to see the Model D proto pics.

SE
CI

fyrwyr
07-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Can't wait to see the Model D proto pics.

SE
CI

Me too!!!!!

fyrwyr
07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Sending an Aviator out to Dana Olsen soon, looking forward to a detailed review after he spends some serious quality time with it;)

Bill

fyrwyr
07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Just jammed on what might be the next amp of the Model D series: a cathode biased version of the D-30, unreal drive and chime galore when you roll back the volume on your guitar; smokin' little amp!

fyrwyr
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
The Aviator Prototype should be in the hands of TGP's very own Dana Olsen within a week, he will be holding his own tone fest in CA. Thanks Dana!

fyrwyr
07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Yet another model churning in my brain;)

fyrwyr
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
A new twist on my personal Trainwreck clone and a bass amp may be in the future..

fyrwyr
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
The Aviator prototype is now in the hands of our very own Mr. Dana Olsen, looking forward to a detailed report;)
http://www.arkamps.com/images/aviatorbrownleatherfrontdec2.jpg

Sam Evans
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
The Aviator prototype is now in the hands of our very own Mr. Dana Losen, looking forward to a detailed report;)
http://www.arkamps.com/images/aviatorbrownleatherfrontdec2.jpg

LOVE IT!! Can't wait for DO's review.

SE
CI

Dana Olsen
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
The Aviator Prototype should be in the hands of TGP's very own Dana Olsen within a week, he will be holding his own tone fest in CA. Thanks Dana!Received it Monday at 10 am - should be able to fire it up tonight!

Thanks tons, Dana O.

fyrwyr
07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Received it Monday at 10 am - should be able to fire it up tonight!

Thanks tons, Dana O.

Fire away Dana!!!:band

fyrwyr
08-02-2008, 01:18 PM
What do y'all think of a "wreck" inspired amp by Ark with our usual approach to exterior design? I have been digging the Wreck that Randy Fay (our new guy on board) built, I traded some tranny's for it; getting real addicted to his version...

cubado
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
And...?

fyrwyr
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
And...?

And what? The Wreck-ish idea or the demo amp in LA?

bc

cubado
08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Dama O's report.... ??

We are curious!

And ... more pics please!

Sam Evans
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Indeed we are curious.

fyrwyr
08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Dama O's report.... ??

We are curious!

I spoke with Dana for a bit before he headed off to the tonefest he was putting together in LA, but he finally had a chance to plug in for a little while and get some idea of what the amp can do. He was digging it so far but he spent all his time in the upper/boost input without realizing it so he was going to mess with the normal input after chatting with me, which is the input most players would use most of the time except for high gain lead work..

He may chime in today or tommorrow, Dana, you out there??;)

fyrwyr
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Dama O's report.... ??

We are curious!

More pics of which amp(s)???;)

fyrwyr
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
In the midle of our first run of Model B's which will be headed to all of our dealers as soon as they are finished. Randy and I some did some final tweaking On the eq the other day and when we heard it with a boost pedal we decided to eliminate the boost switches to keep things simple and more reliable. I am happy with the way the design sits right now. Our dealers are listed on our website with 1 or 2 more being added soon...

mikef1331
08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
In the midle of our first run of Model B's which will be headed to all of our dealers as soon as they are finished. Randy and I some did some final tweaking On the eq the other day and when we heard it with a boost pedal we decided to eliminate the boost switches to keep things simple and more reliable. I am happy with the way the design sits right now. Our dealers are listed on our website with 1 or 2 more being added soon...

I just noticed that Beyond Music is now one of your dealers. When do you expect them to receive their first Ark amp? They're located in my hometown and I'd really like to try out one of your amps.

cubado
08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Donde Este Dana....?

??

Any dealers out Boston way ?

fyrwyr
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I just noticed that Beyond Music is now one of your dealers. When do you expect them to receive their first Ark amp? They're located in my hometown and I'd really like to try out one of your amps.

Beyond Music has had a Model A for a few months now so Wail away;):RoCkIn

fyrwyr
08-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Donde Este Dana....?

??

Any dealers out Boston way ?

Dana has been real busy he tells me but has been enjoying the amp when he has time to actually plug in. But it seems that possibly a tube has gone down now(one of my big fears..) which he is currently investigating before he takes it to the other players who are interested in playing it too...

No dealers in Boston for sure yet, but I think there is one that was one interested a while ago but we didn't have product available at the time. The Music Zoo in NY is one of the newer dealers that have expressed interest in Ark since the NY Amp Show as well as Glades guitars in Florida, both very cool stores from what I've heard.

I will have to check up on that Boston dealer again and see what's up;)

mikef1331
08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Beyond Music has had a Model A for a few months now so Wail away;):RoCkIn

Sweet! I'll stop by there soon.:AOK

fyrwyr
08-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Sweet! I'll stop by there soon.:AOK

I believe that is the one I played on the Youtube video at the NY Amp Show last May, have fun!

Bill

mikef1331
08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I believe that is the one I played on the Youtube video at the NY Amp Show last May, have fun!

Bill

I had a chance to stop by Beyond Music today and check out the Ark Model-A. I didn't have a lot of time to play the Model-A (I got there to late...d'oh!) and I was using a guitar that needs to be adjusted, but what I did hear from the Model-A I liked... A LOT!

WOW, what a great sounding amp! The Model-A is definitely one of the best amps I have ever played. Like it says on the Ark website it has a very "organic" tone and is very easy to play. It has a great range of tones from beautiful cleans, sweet singing leads and a great OD tone. I also thought that the master volume on the A was exceptional. I was really impressed with the woodwork of the amp head and speaker cabs, top notch craftsmanship. The Model-A really does look as good as it sounds. :D

I'm going to go back soon and spend some more time w/ the the Model-A and this time I'll bring my #1 guitar w/ me (my Thorn singlecut). But, from what I heard out of the Model-A on the first trial, this just might be the amp that ends my long time amp search (that or the lower wattage version of the Model-A the A-28).

fyrwyr
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I had a chance to stop by Beyond Music today and check out the Ark Model-A. I didn't have a lot of time to play the Model-A (I got there too late...d'oh!) and I was using a guitar that needs to be adjusted, but what I did hear from the Model-A I liked... A LOT!

WOW, what a great sounding amp! The Model-A is definitely one of the best amps I have ever played. Like it says on the Ark website it has a very "organic" tone and is very easy to play. It has a great range of tones from beautiful cleans, sweet singing leads and a great OD tone. I also thought that the master volume on the A was exceptional. I was really impressed with the woodwork of the amp head and speaker cabs, top notch craftsmanship. The Model-A really does look as good as it sounds. :D

I'm going to go back soon and spend some more time w/ the the Model-A and this time I'll bring my #1 guitar w/ me (my Thorn singlecut). But, from what I heard out of the Model-A on the first trial, this just might be the amp that ends my long time amp search (that or the lower wattage version of the Model-A the A-28).

Glad to hear that the amp treated you right;)

If you want to take it home for a little while to get more aquainted with it in a more relaxed setting and with your other gear etc. just let me know.

We may be able to set up a way for you to try the A28 sometime as well...

Have fun,

Bill

mikef1331
08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Glad to hear that the amp treated you right;)

If you want to take it home for a little while to get more aquainted with it in a more relaxed setting and with your other gear etc. just let me know.

We may be able to set up a way for you to try the A28 sometime as well...

Have fun,

Bill

Thanks Bill! I may just have to take you up on that offer sometime soon.

fyrwyr
08-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks Bill! I may just have to take you up on that offer sometime soon.

My pleaure;)

fyrwyr
08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Almost done with yet another model that just blows me away. Twin 6V6 non master beast that reminds me of a cross between a Plexi, an Orange Rocker 30 and a Wreck.
Hope to have clips in the near future; one of my current favs for raw rock and roll, aggressive and leathery overdrive that makes you want to play for hours...

Not sure about a name yet, I'm open to suggestions;)

fyrwyr
09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Just got back from Randy's shop where we did some more tweaking on the new circuit, we dialed back the bass in the preamp to lean things out and to get the amp to clean up better with the guitar volume. We have more than enough bass still on tap in the tone stack so it was a great change.

I have played the amp at Randy's shop through his 4x12 and just finished blasting my ears in my shop through my "detuned" 4x12 cab; so far I'm really digging this amp, VERY inspiring and the power section sounds almost like EL34's are cooking with only a hint of the 6V6 sound. Around 30 watts max with no master volume.

A very classic yet somewhat of a unique tone and feel. A bit like a JTM45 on fire but at lower volumes. I will try to get some clips soon; Any ideas for a name???

cubado
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
mirage?

cubado
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Ark Mirage ....

guess thats a NO !

LOL

And where's Dana ?

fyrwyr
09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Ark Mirage ....

guess thats a NO !

LOL

And where's Dana ?

Just didn't want to bump the thread more than once in a day;)

Mirage sounds cool, but I want to hear more before choosing;)

I need to call Dana and see what's the latest...

fyrwyr
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
mirage?

Mirage sounds good to me, I will ask the others about it;)

Freight Twang
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
How about "The Lost Ark" ????

fyrwyr
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
How about "The Lost Ark" ????

or "The Raider" ;)

I just recieved delivery of one of the new batch of Model B's today, turned out really nice; I am hoping for a sunny day this weekend to take some outdoor pics of it to share with y'all;)

Matt is leaving for Budapest for a month so don't expect any fast orders until he gets back;)

Here is the new Model B cab with matching head:

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-1.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-3.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-5.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-12.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/arkamps/B-8.jpg

fyrwyr
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Next up might be the first Model D-18 head cab, not sure about building a "matching" speaker cab just yet, but when Matt gets back I am going to pester him till it's done;) The drawings are awesome!!!

mrmuzikhead
09-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Those look great Bill!!

Dana Olsen
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Here's Dana, finally. I've been playing on the Aviator demo head for a few weeks, and I"m gonna copy and paste here what I wrote in the Amps Forum>

Here's a link to that thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=439979

Here's the post:

I'm pretty familiar - I've been using a demo Ark Amp for the last several weeks - it's an Aviator model.

It's an amazing amp. Short signal path, presence, treble, mid, bass, master vol, gain. Two inputs. It has a mid boost (that's mostly a tonestack bypass) and a switch on the back that attenuates a small bit of bass signal. Two inputs - the 'normal' (lower) is the one you'd typically plug into. the higher, Matt and Bill have wired on my demo amp as kind of a tube buffered Tube Screamer making use of the normally unused other side of a 12AX7. 2 EL-34's for power tubes.

It feels like one of the best Brit amps I've ever heard - has a nice jangly top end (think Vox) and wonderful girth (think Naylor and vintage Marshall). The interaction between the gain and volume is one of the most usable I've ever encountered. It seems to like every guitar I've thrown at it - Tele, Strat, PRS, ES-335, P-90 guitars - all sound great through it. It's not just Brit sounding - it sorta straddles the Brit/ Yank line. Really chewy, thick gain sounds, but you can hear individual strings extremely well - it doesn't 'wash out' or give up. Very responsive.

I'd describe it as a medium gain platform. I'm playing it through a Naylor 4x10 cab - the amp loves the cab. The interaction between the master vol and gain on the Ark amp is really something. A great master vol doesn't just change the volume, it should let the player also achieve the same feel at different volumes. The Ark's master vol is one of the best I've ever tried for this - you can go to a lot of places by turning just those two knobs.

The tone controls operate in a narrrow range than most, but it's never a problem to get a great tone. The amp sounds very open, and has wonderful dynamic response. Huge iron in this one - heavy, and it doesn't bat an eye no matter how hard you push it.

Major kudos to Bill and Matt for designing a simple amp with HUGE tone. Oh, it cleans up great with the guitar's volume knob too.

Ask me questions about it - I'll try to give smart answers (GRIN).

Thanks, Dana O.

Sam Evans
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Fantastic, Bill. Wow.

SE

fyrwyr
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Fantastic, Bill. Wow.

SE

Thanks Sam, I think Dana and Hansoloist should have a career writing gear reviews don'tcha think???;)

One more time:

"I'm pretty familiar - I've been using a demo Ark Amp for the last several weeks - it's an Aviator model.

It's an amazing amp. Short signal path, presence, treble, mid, bass, master vol, gain. Two inputs. It has a mid boost (that's mostly a tonestack bypass) and a switch on the back that attenuates a small bit of bass signal. Two inputs - the 'normal' (lower) is the one you'd typically plug into. the higher, Matt and Bill have wired on my demo amp as kind of a tube buffered Tube Screamer making use of the normally unused other side of a 12AX7. 2 EL-34's for power tubes.

It feels like one of the best Brit amps I've ever heard - has a nice jangly top end (think Vox) and wonderful girth (think Naylor and vintage Marshall). The interaction between the gain and volume is one of the most usable I've ever encountered. It seems to like every guitar I've thrown at it - Tele, Strat, PRS, ES-335, P-90 guitars - all sound great through it. It's not just Brit sounding - it sorta straddles the Brit/ Yank line. Really chewy, thick gain sounds, but you can hear individual strings extremely well - it doesn't 'wash out' or give up. Very responsive.

I'd describe it as a medium gain platform. I'm playing it through a Naylor 4x10 cab - the amp loves the cab. The interaction between the master vol and gain on the Ark amp is really something. A great master vol doesn't just change the volume, it should let the player also achieve the same feel at different volumes. The Ark's master vol is one of the best I've ever tried for this - you can go to a lot of places by turning just those two knobs.

The tone controls operate in a narrrow range than most, but it's never a problem to get a great tone. The amp sounds very open, and has wonderful dynamic response. Huge iron in this one - heavy, and it doesn't bat an eye no matter how hard you push it.

Major kudos to Bill and Matt for designing a simple amp with HUGE tone. Oh, it cleans up great with the guitar's volume knob too.

Ask me questions about it - I'll try to give smart answers (GRIN)".

Thanks, Dana O.

fyrwyr
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Looks like we may get sKhan007 to make us a youtube demo for the A-28 comin up here soon...since it was his idea and everything;)

fyrwyr
09-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Looking forward to a run of A-28's for our dealers as soon as Matt returns from Hungary.

I also plan on doing at least one Model D-18 (EL84's)and possibly the Mirage (6V6 non-master crunch monster -thanks cubado for the name;)) too. I am planning on putting on the brakes as far as new models are concerned soon; the fact that we have released 3 models so far since January with 2 more completed prototypes sitting next to me in my office awaiting head shells is more than enough for 1 company. I want to focus on the A-28 and Model B for a while, Both are real unique amps that have a real appeal to the pros and serious players out there that have tried them. We will always do custom orders of anything we make, but for now I plan on only supplying our dealers with the A-28 and Model B and in some cases a Model A.

I want to officially welcome Glades Guitars in Florida as our newest high end dealer, check them out at: www.gladesguitars.com (http://www.gladesguitars.com)

Here is a recent comment on the Model A circuit from my good friend and tube amp mentor Danny Russell who designed the first Naylor amps that were so awesome:

"Seems like the majority of amps tend to force jazz (Fusion)players into
conforming their style towards cliche rock techinques (palm-muting,
etc.), whereas the ARK circuit (Model A)is more amenable to dragging the pick
across 5 & 6 string complex chords and just letting them ring. The
circuit's feel also encourages players to get their palm off the bridge
during lead work for a more fluid phrasing.

I think that you'll notice a trend during demos where players are mildly
alienated for the initial 30 seconds or so when they first plug in, but
experience an "awakening" as they discover the amp's relaxed overdrive
delivery ...all of a sudden they can do things that they've only heard
in their head. The ARK doesn't force you to play fast and hard. Less
experienced players just won't "get it", as they thrash away and
complain about the "lack of gain". Wayne Krantz might be a good
potential product endorsee ...I think he toured with Steely Dan."

Bill

fyrwyr
09-17-2008, 05:58 PM
The Model B on our website will be off to Glades Guitars in a few weeks: www.gladesguitars.com (http://www.gladesguitars.com)

Here is a review of the Ark Aviator($3500 USD) by Brian Wooten who is a guitarist with Trace Adkins formerly with White Heart and Paul Brandt:

"I've been using an Aviator prototype for a few months now. I'm on the road constantly with Trace Adkins. Although Trace is a country artist I am a rock player. When I heard a clip of the Aviator I contacted the company directly to get more info on it and as it turned out we were playing near them and they were nice enough to bring their prototype out for me to hear. I was blown away by it and eventually talked them into letting me take it out on the road to hear it in a real world application for awhile. I've been using an FTR37 for a few years and love that amp. It works perfectly for the Trace gig so so the standard was set very high from the outset. When I heard the Avaiator I considered it a high gain amp and wasn't sure it would be able to clean up enough for the few tunes that required that. But after tweaking on it for awhile at the house I was pleasantly surprised at how well it cleaned up. With Trace I plug into the "low gain" input and use pedals with it just like I do when using the FTR37. While the FTR37 is more like a big, fat Fender Deluxe the Aviator is more Vox/Marshall/Trainwreck. More harmonically complex and notes go into feedback more easily. The controls are very interactive and the bright switch and bass boost are very useful. There's also a knob that lets you bypass the tonestack altogether or dial in just as much of it as you want. It's also quite useful. I think this amp is perfect for studio guitarists. I think one of the best sounds on tap is to plug into the "low gain" channel and crank the preamp about halfway and engage the bright switch. Very Bryan Adams/Keith Scott trainwreck tone. No pedals needed! There's plenty of gain in the "low gain" input but if you've got to have more you can plug into the high gain input and you'll have more than you'll ever need. And I play a Tele almost exclusively!
I've got the amp at home right now so that I can use it for some recording and just to put it through it's paces since I'm not restriced by Trace's set list. I haven't had a chance to record with it yet because we've been so busy but I hope to have some clips by the end of the year.
As far as "boutiques" go I've played Alessandros, Komets, Divided By 13's, Ceriatones, Carol Anns, Exxits, etc. and the Aviator is as good or better than any of them. I can't wait to hear the other models."
http://arkamps.com/images/Aviator%20Live%20with%20BW.jpeg

fyrwyr
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Our Model A circuit in the words of Danny Russell of Naylor Amps fame:

"Seems like the majority of amps tend to force jazz (Fusion)players into
conforming their style towards cliche rock techinques (palm-muting,
etc.), whereas the ARK circuit (Model A)is more amenable to dragging the pick
across 5 & 6 string complex chords and just letting them ring. The
circuit's feel also encourages players to get their palm off the bridge
during lead work for a more fluid phrasing.

I think that you'll notice a trend during demos where players are mildly
alienated for the initial 30 seconds or so when they first plug in, but
experience an "awakening" as they discover the amp's relaxed overdrive
delivery ...all of a sudden they can do things that they've only heard
in their head. The ARK doesn't force you to play fast and hard. Less
experienced players just won't "get it", as they thrash away and
complain about the "lack of gain". Wayne Krantz might be a good
potential product endorsee ...I think he toured with Steely Dan."

fyrwyr
09-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Need to get one of these into Wayne Krantz hands now;)

fyrwyr
09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
A 40 watt Model B 4x6V6 is in talks right now...

fyrwyr
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
If all turns out well, a 40 watt Model B could be a Brian Wooten Sig model;)

We shall see...

fyrwyr
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Played some more with the D-18 prototype today, can't wait to get this baby out there!!!

fyrwyr
09-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Done some tweaking on my Wreck-clone Randy sold me that he built, I am starting to dig the new tweak, more usable for what I do, I am thinking we may yet offer our take on the basic Wreck platform;)

fyrwyr
09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
If we release the wreck inspired amp I was thinking "ship-wreck" may be a good name;)

Sam Evans
09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
if we release the wreck inspired amp i was thinking "ship-wreck" may be a good name;)

perfect!

fyrwyr
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
perfect!

I'm glad ya think so Sammy boy;)

Still some work to do on it, but I am on the right track I think anyway...

Too many irons in the fire:eek:

fyrwyr
09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't plan on spending nearly as much time on TGP for quite a while (once a week?), time management time;) If anyone needs to chat just email or call, my info is on our website on the contact page;)

Cheers,

bc

fyrwyr
09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Ship- Wreck update..

Randy and I have continued tweaking our vision of the Wreck platform and I have decided to only release it through Randy's own custom amp company: Phaez amplifiers. I expect in the next week or so it will be ready circuit wise and the head cab drawing I made a few months back still needs to be made into wood, but it is rolling along nicely so I expect to be able to ship these within the next couple months.

They will be available through my www.protonezone.com site when I have pics and more details available. Very cool amp and I think I have fixed what was bugging me about this particular wreck circuit, it can be made more classic or vintage in character with the flick of a switch now;)

fyrwyr
10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
The "Ship-Wreck" has been modded by Randy and by tommorrow I should have it back to run it through it's paces. He says it seems pretty cool all in all, he wants to see what I think now and so do I. 2 "mode switches" added to the stock Franchesca circuit which make it more classic sounding and also able to run at lower volumes with a different overall tone character most will be more familiar with. The changes were for my personal fancy and if it is as cool as I hoped, we will be releasing it through Phaez amplifiers as a joint effort. I designed the head cab and one of the tweaks and Randy did the rest;)

More updates soon....

fyrwyr
10-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I got home today and the Ship-wreck proto was waiting for me all ready to test.

I have spent about 5 minutes with it so far (while my wife was out shopping-NON master amp you know) and the initial impressions are jaw dropping; the tone I actually had in my head for my dream wreck style amp!!! I am not a big fan of a stock Francesca-too wild and gainy for me. This new version is more leathery I suppose JTM 45 mixed with a Wreck type of character. My wife is working nights again tonight so when she leaves at 10:30 the walls will shake some more; I guess the kids can sleep tommorrow;)

This will only be released through Phaez Amplifiers as a joint effort between Randy Fay and myself. I will be selling it on www.protonezone.com when it is ready.

Update with more details soon...