PDA

View Full Version : K&K Pure Western Mini PUP

mrmojorisin
02-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Just put these into my Taylor 810. All I can say is WOW! Way better than the Expression and Aura systems Taylor uses. And installation was SIMPLE.

Sign me very happy.

johneeeveee
02-16-2008, 09:23 AM
"Better" is in the ear of the beholder, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have K&K's in all my guitars now after trying just about everything out there. The live sound of my Western Mini equipped little Martin (which I've had for several years) has caused quite a few converts among the folks I've toured with as well as numerous FOH engineers.

Most natural sound I've found next to a mic, and very unintrusive to the guitar.

Congrats... it's always great to hear someone thrilled with an acoustic pup, which can be such a struggle.

Peace - jv

coldfingaz
02-16-2008, 09:38 AM
I am also completely taken by the natural acoustic tones of K&K Pure Western minis. Such a low maintenance and non-invasive pup too- no batteries, no knobs, etc. I can use a LR Baggs Para D/I to dial it in, but most of the time I'm fine plugging into the PA. Need to have them installed in my Little Martin and jumbo Guild next... they sound AMAZING in both dreads and 000's.

AfterDarkMusic
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
This is the pickup system I'm planning to put in my GAD 40C... when I buy it.

How is it as far as handling feedback? I have one of the black rubber feedback busters I can stick in the soundhole if need be, but it would be very cool if I didn't need to worry about it.

David Myka
02-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I also love the K&K Western Mini. I put them in my Dragonfly archtop electrics and find that they sound much more pure than their archtop pickup (which sounded muted and scoped). I have then in my acoustic as well. The installation was very simple and quite unobtrusive and I really love the sound.

About feedback, sure they feedback just like most acoustic pickups. Since this is usually at a frequency equal to the body cavity resonance a notch filter works well.

~David

RL in Fla
02-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Western Mini equipped little Martin

Ditto . Love mine .

62Tele
02-17-2008, 08:23 AM
+1 to everything above. Isn't it cool when something works so well, is so simple and is so reasonably priced?

PunkyBub
02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
+1 - Absolutely the best sound out there regardless of $ spent. Plus - and this is pretty big - nothing under the saddle to mess with the transference of tone from string to top.

mrmojorisin
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
+1 - Absolutely the best sound out there regardless of $ spent. Plus - and this is pretty big - nothing under the saddle to mess with the transference of tone from string to top.

Don't you know it. This was a BIG deal for me. I am convinced that any UST really messes with the tone and sustain of the guitar.

johneeeveee
02-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Don't you know it. This was a BIG deal for me. I am convinced that any UST really messes with the tone and sustain of the guitar.

... and no more of that stringy piezo "quack" (yuck). Also with a vinatge jack, which has a 1/8 jack built into a regular sized endpin, there is zero drilling or mods, and all you have is the three little transducers glued to the soundboard. I have a 1946 00-17 that I am considering equipping with a K&K with that setup so I can tour with it. I really don't want to do anything to that guitar, but that setup would be about as unintrusive as it could get.

Peace - jv

JB
02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Have one put into my Larrivee L03R. Sounds absolutely amazing at a great price.

TwinandTwang
02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I have had one in a Martin OM28 and a friend has one in a Greven Jumbo and both need the bass to be totally dialed out on the board and Baggs Para DI. Way too bassy. Is my install the problem, or are these always like this? I am ready to pull mine and try somethig else unless it can be improved.

62Tele
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I think it depends on the guitar and as a result the placement. In my Collings CJ I get a lot of bottom end but it's easily dialed out. In my carbon guitar, it's less bassy. Both guitars sound fine direct and dial in beautifully with reasonable amounts of EQ.

You might want to contact K&K to check on your install placement.

johneeeveee
02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
I have had one in a Martin OM28 and a friend has one in a Greven Jumbo and both need the bass to be totally dialed out on the board and Baggs Para DI. Way too bassy. Is my install the problem, or are these always like this? I am ready to pull mine and try somethig else unless it can be improved.

Sounds like the transducers were installed with too much spacing between them (I've seen and heard this before in a few guitars). Call Deiter at K&K and he will help you out. One of the best customer service companies I have ever dealt with.

Good luck - jv

stratocat63
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Thumbs up for the full size too, beats heck out of piezos to my ear. I had the budget K&K pre which I did not care for, but they shine with a quality pre.

fishman919
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I have the mini installed on my Larrivee OM-03R and it's also somewhat bassy. From what I've read on the Larrivee forum this is common, but easily fixed by a preamp system like the Para DI or Pure Preamp. Or you can dial out the bass via EQ if you want. The bright switch on my electric amp does this well. Otherwise I love the sound.

AshlandBump
02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I have one in my Martin HD-28 and love it.

lazymonday
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
How many of ya'll did the KK installation yourself? It seems like it'd be easy except for the reaming part (would I be pissed if I cracked the block or reamed crookedly).

s2khawk
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Can anyone recommend which K&K is best for doing the hedges type fingerstyle through 80yr vintage acoustics that cant be cut or messed with??? killer problem indeed....

stratofied
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm very interested in getting this system for my guitar. For those planing to do the install I found this (http://frettech.com/kk/) tutorial.

in a little row
02-26-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm very interested in getting this system for my guitar. For those planing to do the install I found this (http://frettech.com/kk/) tutorial.

That is a great tutorial...i found the install even easier than it looked there

j

coldfingaz
02-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Yes! Rob DiStefano does fantastic work. Luckily, he's not too far from me and an easy pit stop on my way to/from NY.

stratocat63
02-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Can anyone recommend which K&K is best for doing the hedges type fingerstyle through 80yr vintage acoustics that cant be cut or messed with??? killer problem indeed....

They make em in two sizes, regular and mini. Regular are supposed to have more output, I only have those so can't compare.

The pups can be attached using their tape or any other adhesive you'd prefer. If you do this probably get the bigger pups because this method of mounting them doesn't produce as solid contact, hence less output (allegedly). I got nothing for the wires and jack but where there's a will there's a way.

s2khawk
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
thanks strato, I have the will and the way on the wires/jack, with my style of bringing down the hammer on a low C string while plucking 3 to 4 higher notes in harmony requires a very clear, defined pickup that can pull good output on each individual string, most all soundhole pups blend and mush my style of playing. thanks again.

stratocat63
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
No problem s2. One thing, be sure the larger transducers will fit your instrument, some need the minis.

80 yo instrument, sounds cool.

s2khawk
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok Ill check the spacing before buying. Yeah 1921 weymann supposedly built by martin 00-18 style with full 25 1/2" scale tuned to a secret tuning I never give out. Lets just say the low E is down below C and I use lights but should use mediums if that poor top could handle it (it can't I've been told). I heard K&K was the best for clear string to string definition, so we'll see.

moo cow
03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
i've got 'em in every acoustic i own and am in the middle of installing another right now!! great pickups!!!

johneeeveee
03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Deiter doesn't even recommend anything but the Mini's anymore, especially since they upped the output on them there is no need for the larger size transducers.
For vintage instruments, you can use the vintage jack (replaces normal sized endpin), and you don't have to drill out your guitar.

Good luck - jv

urlkonig
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I put a set of K&K Minis in my 1973 Guild 12 string and the installation went perfectly.... Guilds have so little string break across the bridge that I could never get a UST to work. The guitar now sounds great, and the balance is great as well.

So, two weeks back I decided to strip out the lackluster B-Band A2.2 in my Taylor 815 and install the Pure Western in it. I wish I had seen this tutorial first, because installing all three pickups at once make a lot of sense. Somehow I got the B/E transducer slightly off-placed, and the unwound strings were much quieter than the wound strings.

It took me two hours to remove the pickups. I didn't damage the bridgeplate, but I couldn't dislodge the pickups without destroying them.

I ordered another set and was extra careful with the installation this time. The B/E are now strong as are the the D/G. But dang it, the putty didn't hold the transducer well when placing the low E / A, the transducer looks to be just a little off center between the A & E, and now I'm in the equal-but-opposite situation as before. The A string is great, but the low E isn't balanced with it. [insert frustrated yawp here]

Does anyone have experience removing one of the Minis WITHOUT damaging it? If so, what tool are you using? If my hands weren't the size of oven mitts, this would be easier...

s2khawk
03-09-2008, 05:05 AM
trying to decide on mini's w/vintage jack or fishman rare earth blender pup...for vintage acoustics for intricate fingerstyle...this is why i like gitter center as we call here in TX. you can buy it all take it home have a shootout then return what doesn't work as well, at least I think that's their policy :0

Latif
03-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I installed my own a few years ago on my Larivee LV03 and I sure wish I had seen the above tutorial. I stuck them in as per K&Ks instructions one at a time with my fingers, looking throught the pin holes with a magnifying headset at a mirror image. It worked and I'm happy with the sound. That tutorial makes it look fail safe.

Latif