PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang-for-the-Buck (read: cheap) Jazz Box Guitar

Troubleman
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
It's hitting again...
Big jazz-box guitar GAS (actually jazz-box and mandolin, but jazz-box needs shall be addressed first) is gnawin' at me.
If it's just a passing fancy, an affair - a "fling", I don't wanna drop (and coincidentally ain't got) mega $$$ for a top-tier L5 or the like. I'd like something that plays and sounds reasonably well - good enough that I won't get laughed off the stage at jazz open-mic nite. I know Epi makes a Joe Pass model that's not stupid bucks, but I know nothing about that model instrument itself. I know there are probably used George Benson-model Ibanez' out there that won't kill me in the checking account (thusly translocating my sleeping arrangements to the couch in the basement), but what else is there? What else is out there?

Chime in everybody
(Zucker - you out there?)

Thanks!

jb

LesPaulMan
02-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Funny how when I read the title of your thread, the first guitar I thought of was an Epi Joe Pass model. It's a great guitar for the money, especially used. The pickups and vol/tone controls aren't the greatest, but can be easily changed.

Although out of your price range, any Heritage jazz box would be killer (and typically better then most Gibson's for a lot less).

billy budapest
02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
There's an Ibanez ArtStar AF-120 in the emporium right now that you should take a serious look at.

bb

dhdfoster
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't own one, but the Ibanez Artcores are pretty good for the $$$$. Depending on how serious you are, that might be a great starter jazz box.

syxxstring
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Ibanez's all the way. Although I bought mine more the nugent feedback thing than the clean jazz tones.

analogwarmth
02-24-2008, 08:10 PM
yea i really dig the full hollow artcore models daddy-o

Captain Midnite
02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Hang on, Harmony is re-introducing their line of guitars. And Subway Guitars in Berkeley, CA has some super deals, do a search on TGP to read peoples dealing with Subway.

mgarrison99
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I had a Jay Turser JT-142 that I really enjoyed (going through the same phase). Dennis over at Music Land Central has a bunch of different models. Here is a nice looking model on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JAY-TURSER-JT134QMT-Quilt-Top-Jazz-Guitar-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ360025975035QQihZ023QQcategoryZ64403QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

billy budapest
02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
The Art Star line pre-dates the Art Core and is generally considered to be an all-around better crafted instrument.

bb

frank62
02-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Washburn J6.

jads57
02-25-2008, 08:04 AM
A used Eastman, which is a carved top not plywood.

jzucker
02-25-2008, 08:24 AM
A used Eastman is nice. You can find a used El Rey for $800 but the best deal is the Samick RL-3 or RL-4. You can find those for $400 or so. They're a cross between a 335 and a semi hollow eastman.

Jellecaster
02-25-2008, 08:31 AM
+1000 on the Ibanez Artcores. I can't believe how great they are regardless of the price.

I paid around $800 for mine:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x280/Jellecaster/2-1.jpg

Kalalau Hiker
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
+1000 on the Ibanez Artcores. I can't believe how great they are regardless of the price.

I paid around $800 for mine:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x280/Jellecaster/2-1.jpg

I hate you - you're givin me gas again!!! LOL

WOW - is that Koa? what model? 800 used or new?

I had an Ibanez AS83 forever on Emporium - as GREAT ES335 type for around $500

also - the Larry Coryell cort (make sure to get the ACTUAL SD Jazz/J Beck pup one - NOT the SD design pup one) - is VERY good - used for around $400

between Ib/Cort/Epi - you have a LOT to choose from for $350 - 800

good luck!

jzucker
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
FWIW, the eastmans blow away the artcores...

Jellecaster
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I hate you - you're givin me gas again!!! LOL

WOW - is that Koa? what model? 800 used or new?

It's a Limited Edition AF105 in spalted maple. My local guitar shop gave me a good deal because I've bought so many Teles from them! It was just under $800 new. Plays better than it looks. In person, it is a very dark brown - the flash on my camera makes it look lighter.

Jellecaster
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
FWIW, the eastmans blow away the artcores...

Well, they cost about three times as much! I honestly don't see how my Artcore could be "blown away" - I would stack it against any guitar costing twice as much.

susudio
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi. I'm new to this site. The Ibanez Artcore AF75 is inexpenisve but plays very well and you can dial in a nice warm jazz tone. I bought mine used at a guitar swap meet. The AF105 is sweet and well made. I've played several. They are about twice the new price of the AF 75 but still that's not too bad...

Kalalau Hiker
02-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, they cost about three times as much! I honestly don't see how my Artcore could be "blown away" - I would stack it against any guitar costing twice as much.

check out Jack's review of his Sadowsky - he KNOWS tone and
also value

- I was very impressed when Jack recommended Dimarzio PAFs (definitely NOT a caviar eatin' boutique pickup) as a great sounding PAF AND for a killer price when people were doing a debate over what boutique $300 PAF was the best.

Kalalau Hiker
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
A used Eastman is nice. You can find a used El Rey for $800 but the best deal is the Samick RL-3 or RL-4. You can find those for $400 or so. They're a cross between a 335 and a semi hollow eastman.

I've often wondered about getting one- was impressed w the GP review several years back

better than the Artcore AS83?

review says
Samick Royale RL3 Electric Guitar. Semi-Hollow Electric Monoframe Construction Body is made from one solid piece of wood! The ROYALE™ addresses the performance shortcomings of this great design. The sides and the center block are made from one piece of wood, rather than two sides and the center block. This creates a more rigid structure to mount the neck, top, and back into. The result is uncommon attack and sustain, without sacrificing the rich, full tone. It’s more like a solid body with incredible tone and warmth or fullness.

The compact size reduces the tendency to resonate and steal energy from the string. Duncan Designed™ pickups insure a professional balance of tone, clarity, and power.

========
Duncan Design pups are usually so so
but I've seen these on ebay for around $350