PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Gil Parris

Gasp100
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm deep into my research on my next Reverend... I truely cannot decide on what's best (humbuckers, revtrons or P90's) for the next guitar. Anyone rocking out with the Gil Parris model? I never heard of Gil Parris, but I happen to find this on YouTube... pretty bad assed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLegyT0Awdo&feature=related
Although, as I look at the guitar (which is clearly a Reverend) I don't believe it's actually a Gil Parris model (I don't see the middle Lace Sensor pup). Thoughts? Yesterday I was hardcore into the Charger 290 Gold Top, but hearing this those buckers in the Gil Parris sound pretty sweet. I know the Double Agent (bucker in the bridge, P90 in the neck) is on the horizon as well (in about a month I've heard). :D

Todd Lynch
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
The Double Agent is hip.

Gasp100
03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Argghhhhhhh!!!!!!! Have you played the Double Agent already??? My local keeps telling me "next month" every time I'm in there. For some reason they seem to have each model I DON'T WANT. Well, the flatroc is cool, but that is in need of a setup and I'm not dropping $500 to buy a guitar that needs work.
I think the Flame Maple top double agent is beconing me :FM
I might have to bypass the local and look online asap. :dude

P90Nut
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello my friend, I see that you did not hang on to your Gries 5 very long. You sir are a true gear nut!:dude

I have a Reverend Slingshot, those P90's are great!! You might be able to find a used one. they no longer make the USA models. Take a look at the new Korean made models. i have heard good things about them. The pickups & electronics are the same ones that they used in their American made models.

Good luck,

Mark

Gasp100
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Mark... I have SERIOUS problems... nigh, the Gries 5 did not last as long as I thought it would. After some serious soul searching the Marshall inside of me took hold that I never knew existed. That, and my credit card statement :FM The Gries 5 is killer though, maybe someday I'll pick up a minnow or even upgrade to the Tube Twenty or 35.
Korean Revs are the bomb... never had the chance to play a USA one. I think the double agent looks sick, a perfect mix of form and function.

RDM
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I have the GP. The middle pup is hard to see because it's black. I got mone when it first came out, so it's chambered mahogany. Now I believe they're soldbody Korina. Anyway....I really love the guitar. It's my first Reverend. I actaully sold my Tele and 335 after getting it. The neck is amazing. Pups are great....but I was not a fan of the LS Burgandy pup that came stock. I thought that it sounded like a neck pup stuck in the middle position.

It was way too dark for me. At the time I was playing through a VT40. I swapped the pup to a Lace Sensor Gold. That's been a good suit for me. nice bell like chime to compliment the 'buckers. I also tried a Lace Sensor Silver, but didn't like it. I think I'm going to try a Dimarzio Red Velvet reverse wound pup next. I think that will get me to where I want to be.

The bass countour is a nice option but I hardly use it. With my Bassman, I don't need any bass. Every once in a while I'll turn the bass countour up, but rarely. It can be too muddy at times.

It's an awesome guitar. A part of me want to add a push-pull to give me the option to kill the middle pup and give me an option to have both buckers on.

I'd highly recomend looking at the guitar.....but some guys don't dig an HSH configuration.

Here's another thread about it: http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=269932

And a recent pic of mine with the added Fender amp knobs:
http://www.rondillonmusic.com/rig/rig02.jpg

Gasp100
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice! I loved the LS silver middle pup that was in my James Burton Tele, I bet a newer gold is SWEET! I really, really wish they made the Gil Parris Gold with the rosewood neck. I love Gold Tops and the all black GP is probably too similar in look to my all black G&L Bluesboy... unless I go for some type of Zorro theme or something.
:RoCkIn
That FM Double Agent looks pretty sick though...

garlzz
07-10-2009, 05:10 AM
hows the quality of these things vs lets say :
an american fender
g&l
MIJ/CIJ