PDA

View Full Version : RIC--O--Sound how does it work ?

citolja
03-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Will I got my Rickenbacker 360/12c64...now who can give me a class 101 on how this Ric--O--sound box works? or better yet is it even worth the search to find one ......SLM

HCStraub
03-08-2008, 05:54 AM
I got a 360 a little while back and went through the same thing. Basically, the Rick-o-sound output on your guitar is a stereo output that splits the neck pickup and bridge pickup into 2 signals.
There are a few ways to use that jack. First is to get the Rick-o-sound box(which isn't made anymore and goes for about $150 on ebay when you can find one). The other is to get a Y cord that has one 1/4" stereo plug on one end and 2 mono 1/4" plugs on the other. (These (http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/pro-audio/audio-cables/Horizon/HYSP10.asp) work great for $20)http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/images/cart/HYSP10.jpg
This lets you plug into 2 separate amps, run a stereo rig and even put different effect on each pickup.
Anyone else have suggestion for the uses?
Hope this helps.
I am in the process of building an EL34 amp with 2 channels, and outputs just for this guitar/setup. More of a fun project than commercial venture, but it should be fun. I love my Ric, maybe the best guitar purchase I have made.

citolja
03-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the input...so your saying the box does really nothing? the Y-cables is all one needs ? and if so, why would one ever need the box at all....tks SLM

rick31797
03-08-2008, 07:28 AM
I am not a expert on this, becuase i dont have one, but would like to try one. Will a Y cable really split the pickups?? I know it will split the sound>>

There is a guy on here that made his own. I may try to do this also, but if a Y cable does the same thing, pretty easy solution.
RK

HCStraub
03-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input...so your saying the box does really nothing? the Y-cables is all one needs ? and if so, why would one ever need the box at all....tks SLM
Yeah, the box just makes it so you can plug 2 regular mono cables into it and run that to your effects/amps. It is an elegant way to do it. The Y cable does the same thing.

HCStraub
03-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I am not a expert on this, becuase i dont have one, but would like to try one. Will a Y cable really split the pickups?? I know it will split the sound>>

There is a guy on here that made his own. I may try to do this also, but if a Y cable does the same thing, pretty easy solution.
RK

Do you have a Ric? If so, the guitar is wired so the bass pickup goes to the ring and the treble goes to tip(I may have this backwards, but I believe that is the order) of the stereo (Ricosound) jack. So the Y cable(or Ricosound box) just takes the signal from the tip and runs it to one mono cable and the signal from the ring and runs it to the other.
Check on the Ric Forums for more details, but this worked for me.

treeofpain
03-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Some would say elegant. Some would say bulky.

One advantage of the box is that you use regular cables. If a cable goes bad, it's easy to replace, compared to the cable pictured above.

I've used the ric-o-sound option on some of my guitars and was not really impressed. You can actually do this with any guitar with multiple pickups (Les Paul, Tele, etc). All you need is a stereo output jack and a knowledge of soldering.

rick31797
03-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes i have a Rick 620 and it has the stereo Jack and a mono jack.. So the real secret is in the wiring of the guitar.

So what (Tree OF Pain) is saying is not true> Any other guitar will certainly split the sound but it wont split the pickups>

Here is one on ebay>> if you can do it for 20.00 why spend $$$ looks like this one going for over 100.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-Rick-o-sound-kit-original-collectibles_W0QQitemZ370030117188QQihZ024QQcatego ryZ41439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2678043&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2FRickenbacker-Rick-o-sound-kit-original-collectibles_W0QQitemZ370030117188QQihZ024QQcatego ryZ41439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

And why is Rickenbacker still making guitars with the stereo Jack and not providing the Unit to use with it>> I know they probably just not selling these units, but you would think for what they are, they would still have them available.
Or lower the price>> sounds like there is 20.00 worth of parts.
RK

SGNick
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
here`s the thing, you don`t have Ric-o-sound. Well, i don`t think you do. depends what your typo is.

if you meant c63, then you do not have ricosound, you have 2 mono jacks that can be used together.

if you meant V64, then it is supposed to 2 mono, but single monos and ricosounds have been made

StJimmy
03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm confused. If you can get the EXACT same results from a Y cord using the single mono jack on a Rick, why does it have two jacks?

rick31797
03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
The one jack is just the normal 1/4 guitar jack.. The second jack is the stereo jack for the rick-0- sound and is wired different.

Like said above it allows the pickups to be split, neck pickup go to one amp the bridge goes to the other.

If you where to plug the Rick-o -sound into the normal 1/4 jack both pickups would be going to one amp and both pickups would be going to the second amp.
You could do this with any guitar with two pickups.

RK

rick31797
03-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Its crazy what people will pay for the real thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-Rick-o-sound-kit-original-collectibles_W0QQitemZ370030117188QQihZ024QQcatego ryZ41439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mc5nrg
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
If you do a search for ric-o-sound you'll find some threads on a Rick site covering this and why they dumped the box.

Chuck King
03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I built a psuedo-Rick-O-Sound box, and parts cost about $20. It's very simple. One advantage to using the box over the cable pictured above is cable length: I've got a 20' Mogami TRS stereo cable, which is as much length as I'll ever need, and then there's the cables coming out of the box. To use it with two channels on one amp could be done with the box on top and short patch cables, or you can run longer cables to two separate amps.

It's been fun playing around with the Rick-O-Sound on my 360, but one area that's a little frustrating is effects. If using two separate channels on one amp, it might be possible to run effects through a loop that would apply them to both signals, but with two separate amps, it would require either all stereo effects (if such things are even available---a lot of old favorites are mono) or two sets.

The big difference in tone comes from having two separate signals---if you put the pickup selector switch in the middle position on most guitars, you get a blend of the bridge and neck pickups, and the interaction of the signals colors the sound of both of them together. With Rick-O-Sound, you hear each pickup in all its individual glory, and if both of them are on, you get both, but you don't get that slight cancellation or enhancement of certain frequencies. It is a different sound for both pickups than you get from mono.

rick31797
03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
The Rick-o sound on Ebay got too $255.00 and didn't reach the reserve set.
Wow what do these people think these are worth now> I thought 100.00 would be good for the seller.

RK

skeeterbuck
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
The only reason thet they are going for big bucks now because they stopped making them. When Ric was still making them they cost something like $69.00 list.

Nobody would buy them when you could get a stereo cord for $20. Plus nobody I know ever really uses the stereo output.

rick31797
03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I think your right, i dont know anybody that used the stereo jack. I can see why maybe people think because they dont make them anymore there worth there weight in gold>>> But i dont't think everything that is discountinued, goes way up in value..

I have a couple guitars that where only made for 5 yrs, but it looks like they have gone down in Value not up. I paid about 900.00 for the one and i would be lucky to get 500.00 for it..

Maybe someday the tide will turn>> Actually the pickups sell for quite a bit, you can get them anymore either.

RK