PDA

View Full Version : DOD 250 Vs. MXR Distortion Plus

alvagoldbook
03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I need to get myself a distortion pedal that's small and compact, doesn't alter my amp's natural tone, and just gives me pure gain distortion. Something affordable is ideal as well.

So I'm down pretty much to the DOD 250 reissue and the MXR Distortion Plus. Possibly thinking of doing a BYOC project as well, but I'm afraid it might be too much hassle.

In any case, I know electronically speaking, there isn't much of a difference between these two pedals, but what are their difference in tone and performance? Anyone used both side to side? Anyone have some sound clips of these two pedals side to side?

FloridaSam
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
I would go the BYOC route. The reissue Distortion + sounds nothing like my 1979 Distoriton Plus did. I have heard nothnig but good about the BYOC.

kidcheesyriffs
03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
There have been late 70's / early 80's block logo distortion +'s with original box / manual / great shape floating around here for what you would pay for a new dist +. I would try to go with these as, in my opinion, they sound better.

This site has some great sound samples and comparisions of the various eras of dist +'s http://www.elisanet.fi/flaser_phanger/mxr_distortion.htm

Angle Loss
03-18-2008, 04:59 PM
One of the main differences is the diodes. On the 250 it uses silicon diodes which have a higher clipping threshold---that means that it will have less drive, but more volume. The Distortion+ uses germanium diodes which have a lower threshold---meaning that it will produce a warmer clipping, more distortion but less output. Otherwise the two circuits are extremely close. btw, the reissue Distortion+ sounds terrible.

If you do decide on the Distortion+, PM me, I have an original 1982 for sale for probably less than a new one.

re-animator
03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
you want completely linear gain/distortion?

get a fulltone OCD. In a world of "clean boosts", the OCD strikes me as a "dirty boost" pedal.

i don't use it as much of a booster though.

Lolaviola
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
There have been late 70's / early 80's block logo distortion +'s with original box / manual / great shape floating around here for what you would pay for a new dist +. I would try to go with these as, in my opinion, they sound better.

This site has some great sound samples and comparisions of the various eras of dist +'s http://www.elisanet.fi/flaser_phanger/mxr_distortion.htm
+1
Be patient and find yourself a nice old example in good shape.
D+ is not very much volume boost, it will sound about unity, maybe a little more.

mattpas
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
I have made a bunch of the BYOC 250+ in a D+ and 250.
If you do one find the old 1N270 germanium diodes for the D+ it sounds perfect.
If you make the 250, try 1N4001 diodes. Gives it this nice ballsy crunch.
If you want the ultimate overdrive/fuz mix make a Way Huge Red Llama clone.
I think the Llama beats the other ones.

tomnottom
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=225&Itemid=26