PDA

View Full Version : Gibson SG pickguard/pickup question

vchizzle
04-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok, I'd like a P-90 equipped SG. I like the matte finish of the cheaper model. Is there a full face pickguard that fits that guitar with P-90 holes in it? Are all newer full face pickguards the same size?

Alvis
04-04-2008, 08:30 PM
If you're sayin what I think you're sayin,you like to put p-90s in say a faded SG special.
I think it would work fine if you got a pickguard that fit a current p-90 SG Classic and put it on a faded special
I thought of doing that myself but I got enough P-90 guitars

Drew68
04-04-2008, 08:51 PM
If you're sayin what I think you're sayin,you like to put p-90s in say a faded SG special.

This was discussed on another thread somewhere and the consensus was that the humbucker routes under the pickguard would have to be widened to accommodate the longer P90 pickups.

vchizzle
04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I think it would work fine if you got a pickguard that fit a current p-90 SG Classic and put it on a faded special
I thought of doing that myself but I got enough P-90 guitars
Yep, that's what I'm sayin'. I just wanted to make sure those pickguards are interchangeable. I don't have any P-90 guitars and like the idea of a classic style SG. Whether I'll dig the sound or not will remain to be heard. And I really like the feel of that faded satin finish.

What P-90's do you like best? I've got virtually no experience with them, but I love that middle(both pickups on) P-90 tone alot. Since I'd be loading it up myself, I can pick whatever I wanna throw in there guess. I probably don't want to spend a ton, since it'll be a guitar I just jam on around the house and maybe add to recordings.

vchizzle
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
This was discussed on another thread somewhere and the consensus was that the humbucker routes under the pickguard would have to be widened to accommodate the longer P90 pickups.hmmm. not a big deal I guess, I'm comfortable with a router. I'll just have to decide if the total cost is something I wanna spend.

sarge40
04-04-2008, 09:41 PM
How 'bout humbucker-sized P90 types, such as the P94? Theres a smattering of P90 type humbuckers out there.

Alvis
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
This was discussed on another thread somewhere and the consensus was that the humbucker routes under the pickguard would have to be widened to accommodate the longer P90 pickups.

i belive the current crop of Full guard 2 pickup SGs,Classics ,specials ,standards are using the same rout config.
But even if not ,it would be no big deal to p-90 a faded special,I still might do it just for the hell of it

Alvis
04-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Yep, that's what I'm sayin'. I just wanted to make sure those pickguards are interchangeable. I don't have any P-90 guitars and like the idea of a classic style SG. Whether I'll dig the sound or not will remain to be heard. And I really like the feel of that faded satin finish.

What P-90's do you like best? I've got virtually no experience with them, but I love that middle(both pickups on) P-90 tone alot. Since I'd be loading it up myself, I can pick whatever I wanna throw in there guess. I probably don't want to spend a ton, since it'll be a guitar I just jam on around the house and maybe add to recordings.

I like my 60s p-90s the best.They DO sound different from 50s Ps
But Im pretty happy with the current Gibson P-90 .A lot of guys pull 'em out for Fralins,but Im happy with the ones I have .For p-90s on the cheap,I've been real pleased with the Allparts Razor soapbar.I used a GFS dog ear for a repair last summer that worked pretty welll

Calloway
04-05-2008, 01:12 PM
GFS makes a real cheap P-90 and I've been impressed with their stuff.

Vintage Vibe makes a great P-90 that is cheaper than a lot of the boutique competition.

Then there are always Lollars, which their reputation speaks for themselves.

vchizzle
04-05-2008, 03:02 PM
How 'bout humbucker-sized P90 types, such as the P94? Theres a smattering of P90 type humbuckers out there.
I don't know, I could go that route, I like the classic looks of an actual P-90 equipped guitar though. Do the humbucker sized P-90s actually sound like P-90s? With as much difference in tone as you can get from different pickups, I question how authentic the tone would be. Even if they do sound close, I still like the look so I haven't even really considered it or looked into it.

I like my 60s p-90s the best.They DO sound different from 50s Ps
But Im pretty happy with the current Gibson P-90 .A lot of guys pull 'em out for Fralins,but Im happy with the ones I have .For p-90s on the cheap,I've been real pleased with the Allparts Razor soapbar.I used a GFS dog ear for a repair last summer that worked pretty welll
I'll probably play an SG classic and see how I like the tone. Lollars are pickups I've considered too, price difference might be a factor. I will probably stick to at least name brands I know. some of the cheaper stuff, I probably question buying if I don't have or haven't heard much about.