PDA

View Full Version : Solid Body Classical? (Samick CSMJ-13-CE)

doveman
04-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I came across a used Samick / Greg Bennett solid body acoustic over the weekend. It must be played through an acoustic amp ... I have a Fender Acoustasonic ... so I have that covered.

I was pretty impressed ... volume, treb-mid-bass controls. Would be able to play live without feedback.

I know it's about a $600 guitar new ... not incredible ... but I was impressed.

Any thoughts or experiences with this or any solid body classical guitars?

Here's a a picture ...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/dovemanpix/yhst-10591158708540_1992_4375279.jpg

doveman
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Maybe some input on the Chet Atkins model, Godin's models or others besides the Samick?

KRosser
04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I've owned a Gibson Chet Atkins and currently own the Rick Turner Renaissance.

I love the sound and response of the Renaissance - I don't love the body ergonomics, at all. When played sitting the balance is really awkward.

On the other hand, I love the way the Gibson Chet feels and sits with the body, but I'm not crazy about the sound and I've played more Chets with serious intonation problems than not.

The Godins to me are OK, but neither feel as good as a Chet or sound as good as a Turner...

Many of the other low-price end brands don't use a full classical scale (2" nut, flat radius, etc), which I need. Does the Samick?

I have yet to find "the one" for me....

I have considered getting a Chet and having the whole thing gutted and modified...

doveman
04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
It was definitely a flat neck ... seemed normal to me ... but not sure about the nut width. It was again seemingly normal to me as compared to my gut string. I have not found a page with those specs.

doveman
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Well I decided tomorrow. :jo