PDA

View Full Version : Crate Palomino V32H USA vs. Vietnam

04-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these at MF for $299.00, but wonder about the made in USA / Vietnam issue. Does anyone have the real info (and not hearsay or speculation) on the differences, if any, and the whole "switching transformer" question.
Thanks

Oldtone
04-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Switching Power supply was what I had heard. I had also heard that owners had other issues with scratchy volume pots and general quality issues.
I picked up a Vietnam assembled V32H about a week ago and love it. I have had no issues with mine. It was powered up all day yesterday while I changed out speakers and tried different cabs, sorta burned it in. Sounds great with the factory tubes.
Mine appears to have a standard Power transformer in the power supply. I think a couple of bad rumors have tainted the Palominos made in Vietnam. We'll just have to wait and see if there is a difference but I haven't found any issues yet.

Standard 64
04-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I have the palomino 32 watt U.S.A. combo I bought a few years ago and have not had any issues with it yet,though I did put JJ tubes in it and took the speaker out and put a fan in its place aiming up towards the tubes,hooked it up to a avatar 2x12 cab.I also just bought the palomino 32 head(2 channel) and matching palomino 2x12 cab(closed back),made in vietnam.The head can actually attach to the cab.I have only been playing it for a few days so I dont know about reliability,but it does have a 5 year warranty on the head and 2 years on the cab.The workmanship is pretty tight.I can say though this head and matching cab sounds heavenly!!!!I can honestly say the stock tubes and speakers(not even broken in yet) are great.The only drawback I would say is the footswitch has a slight delay when switching channels.Got to go play it now,see ya.

04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Is there any way to tell if one has a switching transformer? I looked at one in the store the other day (made in Vietnam) and saw what appeared to be 2 "normal" trannys. Thanks for any info.

rockon1
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah they say "switching power supply" -Im still wondering what that means or entails. Is it part of the non palomino v series? does it negatively impact the tone? If not then obviously it doesnt matter. Bob

Standard 64
04-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah they say "switching power supply" -Im still wondering what that means or entails. Is it part of the non palomino v series? does it negatively impact the tone? If not then obviously it doesnt matter. Bob
Does it impact reliabilty?I know for a fact it does not impact tone.

03hal
04-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Isn't the "switching power supply" an aspect of the newer v-series? My Viet 32 head has two regular trannies, same as 5881. Whatever it has, the amp sounds great.

electricfactory
04-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Switching Power supply was what I had heard. I had also heard that owners had other issues with scratchy volume pots and general quality issues.

I went to GC the other day to try out this very amp having heard all of the favorable dish. I brought my guitar with me and plugged in to the first of two V32's they had on the floor; with the 1-12" V32- only one channel worked, the other was completely dead and two of the pots were very scratchy.
Not a good start but never mind.
They additionally had a V32 head and separate 2-12" cab version a few feet away, I plugged into that one and... BADLY scratchy pots and something was going on with the pre-amp channel [ popping noises ] which seemed to badly mute the channel. Press button switches made noises when engaged.
Now maybe I just ran into the only two V32 lemons. To be honest I was- and still am- interested in the amp on paper. But after reading your the above part of your post it did make me wonder what's up with the model or maybe with quality control.

rockon1
04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Isn't the "switching power supply" an aspect of the newer v-series? My Viet 32 head has two regular trannies, same as 5881. Whatever it has, the amp sounds great.

Thats what Im thinking. This except is from a review of the black V series 18,33 and 50 watt models.From what he's says it sounds like theres no output transformer but he doesnt come right out and say it. Bob

"The second thing I noticed was the switching power supply. Well, technically I didn’t notice the power supply; what I noticed was the V18-212 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055) and V50-112 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054) were very light. I easily—repeat, easily—loaded out the V18-212 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055) with one hand. No sweating, no grunting, no having to set it down halfway to my van and switch hands. That’s a 2x12 tube guitar amplifier being moved over 200 yards and down a flight of stairs without stressing it. The same applies to the V50-112 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054). Each of these amps is way lighter than any comparable tube amp I’ve ever hoisted.
All the V-Series amps—other than the little V5—use a modern high-frequency switching power supply custom designed by Crate’s engineering team to behave like a tube amp power supply. Not only is this advanced power supply lighter, it’s way more efficient, so it generates less heat and provides superior isolation from power problems like noise and spikes."

Standard 64
04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I went to GC the other day to try out this very amp having heard all of the favorable dish. I brought my guitar with me and plugged in to the first of two V32's they had on the floor; with the 1-12" V32- only one channel worked, the other was completely dead and two of the pots were very scratchy.
Not a good start but never mind.
They additionally had a V32 head and separate 2-12" cab version a few feet away, I plugged into that one and... BADLY scratchy pots and something was going on with the pre-amp channel [ popping noises ] which seemed to badly mute the channel. Press button switches made noises when engaged.
Now maybe I just ran into the only two V32 lemons. To be honest I was- and still am- interested in the amp on paper. But after reading your the above part of your post it did make me wonder what's up with the model or maybe with quality control.
Amps are way abused on the floor.Like on the palomino you are supposed to turn it on then wait 20 seconds then turn on the standby switch.Vice versa.People also like to turn the amp on to see the light come on then turn it off.Or flip and bounce the amp around to see whats under the hood and where its made.For what its worth harmony central has good reviews on the palomino line.I have no problems yet with my combo or head yet and like 03hal said the amp sounds great.

electricfactory
04-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Amps are way abused on the floor.Like on the palomino you are supposed to turn it on then wait 20 seconds then turn on the standby switch.Vice versa.People also like to turn the amp on to see the light come on then turn it off.Or flip and bounce the amp around to see whats under the hood and where its made.For what its worth harmony central has good reviews on the palomino line.I have no problems yet with my combo or head yet and like 03hal said the amp sounds great.

Good points all, and I want to hear all of the good user feedback possible on this series amp as that V32 amp+cab combo I tried was priced at about 425.00 [ on clearance ] total- cheap by any measure.
Unless you had to have it repaired .

bosstone
04-13-2008, 03:17 PM
My two year old, made in Viet Nam, V3112 had one scratchy pot. I sprayed it yesterday and fixed the problem. Everything else has worked perfectly. I have and have had some very nice amps that sell for a heck of a lot more but this amp hangs right in there with them.

BTW, that 5 year warranty is transferable!

rockon1
04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Good points all, and I want to hear all of the good user feedback possible on this series amp as that V32 amp+cab combo I tried was priced at about 425.00 [ on clearance ] total- cheap by any measure.
Unless you had to have it repaired .

Had my US made V32 combo for two years now with zero problems. It gets used from fairly regularly(3-4) times a week but has only seen a few gigs. I shlepped it to practice for a while a couple times a week too. The controls are board mounted like many amps in this range(and more expensive)but at least the input jack isnt board mounted which is good. Bob

Magnatone1960
05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
BTW, that 5 year warranty is transferable!

I've just bought a V32H and the warranty statement packed with it indicates that the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser.

"Crate warrants to the original purchaser that this product (exclusive of speakers, tubes, meters, and foot pedals) will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 5 years from the original date of purchase. SLM Electronics warrants to the original purchaser of this product that the speakers will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 2 years (tubes, meters, and foot pedals for a period of ninety (90) days)"

Maruuk
05-17-2008, 11:58 AM
My new Nam V32H arrived with a bad tube out of the box (staticy noise). No bigee but a huge hassle to find and get to a Crate warranty service place.

That said, this thing runs from shimmering, responsive Matchless cleans to JTM45 phat soulful leads. I find it's a fantastic, expressive blues amp. My BJ (no headroom, no neck P/U cleans, lo volume, one tone) is gathering spider webs in the corner. Now I can really explore a wide range of BF-like glassy cleans with real punch, and then launch into soaring, ripping leads with a punch of the Boost or channel 2 or BOTH! Super versatile and simple to use at the same time. I'd hate to be the guy who showed up at the jam next to me with a BJ. "Is there a mosquito in here???"