PDA

View Full Version : BB King what amp does he use?

Dylan61
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
BB King what amp does he use?

GCDEF
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Supposedly Lab series. Every time I've seen him he's used a Twin.

GTRJoe
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Last time I saw him which was about 3 years ago. He was using a Lab Series 2X12 combo. I don't remember which model it's called. I sat right in line with his amp. He was pretty darn loud.

kevin hart
04-18-2008, 12:02 PM
He uses a Lab amp L5 2x12 combo. They were a Norlin product in the late 70's / early 80's. I worked at a store that sold them and they sounded pretty good. Had two channels, one with overdrive. And a built in compressor that actually worked well.

hardys
04-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Last 3 times I've seen B.B., he was using a Lab L5 2x12 combo. Me and a band mate each had one and grew to hate them and their poor, trouble prone construction. Nasty & congested sounding, but B.B. sure sounds great through them!

billyguitar
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I remember going and seeing BB in about '71 or '72. He was apparently using a rental twin reverb. He had each plug of his stereo cord plugged into each channel. This must've been the first time he used one of the master volume Twins. If you plug into both channels at once on these they phase cancel out. He started his first tune and was getting this horrible sound. He ended up down on one knee and twiddleing the knobs while the band kept playing trying to figure out what was wrong. As I recall someone wheeled out another older style Twin and hooked it up for him. Great show after that. At the end of the concert we ran up to shake his hand and he was giving away Fender medium picks. I ended up confusing which pick he gave me from the others and I ended up using it.
I thought hew sounded really good when he was using those huge Les Paul amps in the later 70s. You think a twin or the Lab amp was loud? Wow!

lazymonday
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I could be totally wrong but at some point BB used the Roland JC-120. Which some how solidified the legitimacy of that amp. I dunno, for some reason when I think of solid clean tones and BB I think of that amp.

theHoss
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I just saw him last week here in Colorado. He was just a LAB 2x12.

FloridaSam
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
St. James: Right. Itís in your hands. What kind of amp are you using these days?

King: Same one Iíve been using a long time: one thatís called Lab System. [Editorís note: B.B. plays his Gibson ES-355 (Lucille) through a long discontinued Gibson Lab Series amplifier, a 2x12 combo.] Itís to me between the Kustom and the Fender. It donít haveÖit does have some tubes in it. And thatís it.

St. James: Do you know what model it is?

King: No (laughs) Itís just Lab System.

St. James: Do you like it loud?

King: Sometimes, yeah. I want something that if I crank it up, and want it to be loud, I want it to be loud. But I donít play like a lot of guys do. I donít try to drown out everybody else. Drown out the band and everything else.