PDA

View Full Version : Solid Core vs Stranded?

Nolatone Ampworks
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi folks,

Actually a couple of questions:

First, if building amps from scratch (no kit with wire supplied), what guages and types of wire should be on hand, and for what uses?

Second, wrt hookup wire, is there a difference in performance/tone between solid core wire and stranded? What do you all prefer and why?

Thanks,

Paul

Trout
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi folks,

First, if building amps from scratch (no kit with wire supplied), what guages and types of wire should be on hand, and for what uses?

Second, wrt hookup wire, is there a difference in performance/tone between solid core wire and stranded? What do you all prefer and why?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey, add braided to the mix.
I just got a roll of Alpha brand hook up wire that is braided stranded wire. It is tightly braided and strips without fraying. Seems no more or less flexible but it sure seems easier to use than the old stranded stuff did.

phsyconoodler
04-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I use 20 gauge solid throughout.When it's above 50 watts or has 4 power tubes,I use 18 gauge for heater wires.
Solid core wire stays here you put it,thats the only reason I use it over stranded.

Laird_Williams
04-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I use 20 gauge solid throughout.When it's above 50 watts or has 4 power tubes,I use 18 gauge for heater wires.
Solid core wire stays here you put it,thats the only reason I use it over stranded.
That's all well and good -and if you get a sufficient guage solid wire then there should be NO issues -

But -- current travels over the SURFACE of a metal, so the more surface area the lower the impedence. This is why AC ("telephone pole") power transformers are wound with hollow tubes - so there is surface on both the inside and outside of the "wire" and more current can be carried.

The net is that current-carrying capacity of stranded wire generally greatly exceeds that of solid wire of the same guage. Increase the guage of the solid you use to compensate if you are in a circuit where wire impedence is a potentially-significant issue.

VaughnC
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks,

Paul

22 guage wire is fine for any tube guitar amp wiring except heater wiring which should be at least 20 guage. Another important issue is the voltage rating of the wire's insulation...so, in a tube guitar amp, you'd want to use wire that's rated at least 600 volts. Dave Allen, of Allen amps, sells a wire package with enough wire, of the proper specs, to wire a typical tube amp for $10 (but has a $50 minimum order). Teflon insulated, silver plated wire is also available at various vendors but is fairly expensive.

At audio frequencies, theoretically, stranded or solid conductor wire shouldn't make any difference. However, the late Ken Fischer of Trainwreck amps made a claim that stranded wire causes a phase shift between upper and lower audio frequencies and thus recommended solid conductor wire for guitar amp wiring. Us mere mortals probably wouldn't be able to hear the tonal difference though and solid conductor wire is generally easier to work with.

phsyconoodler
04-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Well the next time I build a telephone system I'll switch to stranded wire.
In the meantime,I'll continue usin solid core.:)

Nolatone Ampworks
04-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm tickled to death that solid core is considered acceptable! I REALLY enjoy not having to tin leads, deal with bird caging, etc!

trower
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
excuse my ignorance but most, if not all power cable is stranded, is this just because it's flexible?

hunkowood
04-27-2008, 01:17 PM
All wire is measured in circular mils regardless of construction.12 gu stranded has the same ampacity as solid.Use whatever is easiest for the app.

Hunk

Structo
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I like the stranded teflon the best.
Why?
Because during a build you invariably move wires around and a solid core wire can only be bent so many times before it breaks.
I recall a build I did with solid wire and after opening up the chassis several times to tweak components for tonal changes I had some weird symptoms show up to haunt me.

I had a hell of a time tracing down the culprit which turned out to be a wire that had broken but made intermittent contact and was not visible because the insulation was covering the break.

Sure stranded wire can break as well from repeated bending but is far more durable than the solid.

The plus side to using teflon wire is a soldering iron won't melt the jacket.
And on shielded cable you won't be melting the inner jacket from too much heat on the braid.
I can be difficult to strip teflon wire and I find a very sharp knife or razor knife can give good results if you are careful.

phsyconoodler
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree about teflon,but I have never hd an issue with solid core wire breaking unless it was nicked when stripped.Cheap quality solid core wire is a different story.Use quality brand-name wire and those problems don't exist.Rat shack wire is NOT good quality.NEVER,EVER STRIP WIRE WITH A KNIFE!No wonder it breaks.Thats' just silly.

alltone
04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Belden makes a nice tight strand teflon #83025 in different coloured jackets.A good pair of mechanical strippers and away ya' go..100' spool is reasonably priced..
http://www.belden.com/search/index.cfm?q=83025

booj
04-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Fender used solid core wire with the fiberboard layouts. I hear some of them are still working.