PDA

View Full Version : Lo-Fi Digital Delay--Boss RV-3

archlilim
05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I've fooled with a couple of multi-effects processors and got this really cool delay effect by twisting the delay speed quickly back and forth--sounds like a cross between lasers and scratching a vinyl record. Looking for a lo-fi delay capable of that and one that has some more whacky capabilities along those lines--Something really digital and pixelated--I'm into weirdness and noise. Recommendations for lo-fi digital delays? Thanks.

Edit: Anyone had experience with the Boss RV-3? Sounds ideal.

LouRossi
05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Boss PS-2!

rex kwon do
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Boss PS-2!

I totally agree - got one on my board and for some reason, it sounds better than DD-2's, DD-3's, DD-5, 6, 7's whatever number they've got these days.

Real lo-fi, but real a most-hi tone.

KagakuNinja
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
RV-3 is a great pedal for shoegazing goodness. Not sure if it does what you want though. I've only played with one a little bit, but many of my friends love them.

iowa
05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I have an RV-3. I haven't tried to get any of the spacy tones you are talking about, but I really like it to give me a little slapback and a splash of reverb.

Dandy13
05-31-2008, 08:23 AM
RV3 doesn't really do that. look for a digitech pds delay such as the 20/20 multi play

vorvick
05-31-2008, 08:37 AM
All I have is a DL4 but it's great for that. There's a "Low Rez" setting that I've been rediscovering in the last few days.

Also, I have it up on a stand so I can easily hold a note while changing the delay speed (getting the whacky flying saucer sounds), mix, and repeats, which will send you into runaway oscillation.

The other thing I just tried last night was the "remain bypass mode" which allows echos to trail away after you hit the bypass switch. I got oscillation going, stepped on the bypass switch (in this mode the oscillating sound keeps going indefinately) and then played over the top of it with other effects.

If you're looking for other noises, it does reverse and some other cool stuff.

wildschwein
05-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Behringer DD100 or DD400 are nice and glitchy when you turn the feedback and time knobs while playing. Cheap too. Buy 2 or 3 of 'em, turn 'em all on, and go nuts.

fretless
05-31-2008, 10:46 AM
I have an Ibanez DE-7 that nails what you're looking for. When put on the echo setting the a little knob twiddling creates some fantastic self-oscillation. UFO and outer space noises, along with tons of aural exotica are easily conjured up. Love, love, love this pedal. Awesome tape delay sounds (far above ANY digital pedal..which this). They are around $60 new, so it's also cheap.

thiscalltoarms
05-31-2008, 12:27 PM
i agree that the DE7 certainly fits the bill. I am amused by the RV-3's reverb&delay settings though- has anyone used it is as a subtle medium long delay with verb mostly to thicken up solos and clean tones?