PDA

View Full Version : Gator "g-bus-8"

dhoward
06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Does anyone use one of the GATOR "G-BUS-8" power supplies?

SonicVI
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I do. It works and has plenty of juice. Not much else i can say about it.

EL34
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I think that's the unit that came with my small gator-case (my fly pedalboard). Works well, quiet, no problems at all.

DaBlizzardofOz
06-01-2008, 11:15 PM
I agree - no problems at all

Clint torrez
06-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to say that mine is all good over here as well.

Frenster
06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
works fine, but not isolated, so I can't use my Octavia with nearly everything else I have, unless it's running on battery. I hate battery.

Waxhead
06-02-2008, 02:00 AM
excellent little power pack. Cheap, quiet and zero prob's after 12 months of use :YinYang

Gomez315
06-02-2008, 05:58 AM
I could sell you one for $55 dollars shipped. Its been my main power supply for about six months but I recently just got a pedal power for a good deal so I don't need it anymore.

Sniper-V
06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
I picked up on of the smaller pedalboard case from Gator with the G-Bus on it and it's worked perfectly for my smaller grab and go applications. I ended up picking the case with power supply for less than 100.00. Great deal!

Birddog
06-02-2008, 06:25 AM
I've had good luck with mine.

valen
06-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I was looking for an upgrade to my one spot and I was really exited when I saw the GBUS-8 but then I learned it wasn't isolated. Basically just a daisy chain just like a one-spot but in a box. No point in paying over twice the price of a one spot for no perceptible performance gain.

dhoward
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
The G-Bus 8 is a daisy chain... not isolated .....meaning?
each out is the same????

Alan_Guitar
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
it is isolated......... my verbzilla does not hum on it but does hum on a 1 spot

stinkfoot
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
It is not isolated, no. It may have separate voltage regulators for each output (or it may not - I don't know), but it is not isolated. Proper isolation requires separate transformer secondary windings (to create separate power sources all the way from the mains source), while the G-Bus is powered from a single DC adapter.

/Andreas

Alan_Guitar
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
i see

Rocked Star
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I have one on my small Gator board with no problems. Good deal on the board too btw.

elicious
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
i do not believe that the G-BUS-8 is isolated...however, i am running 2 Line6 pedals (and 6 others) at 9V and 1 pedal at 18V off of it with no noise issues whatsoever. :)

John Thigpen
06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't speak to the isolation issue, but I've had one for about a year and have never had any problems with it. I like being able to power up to three pedals at 18v, with eight 9v outlets. I've never had any noise issues.

I got mine with one of their small pedal totes, but recently bought a used gig-box, which is a larger hardcase with a three guitar stand in the top. It didn't have a power supplu with it, so I moved the power supply from the tote. The screws were a little too long, but no real problems.

John

Julia343
06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Personally I don't care if it is isolated. If it doesn't add hum, I'm good. I've got two Gators. My one spot was a disaster on hum into anything more than a clean amp.

Gomez315
06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I was looking for an upgrade to my one spot and I was really exited when I saw the GBUS-8 but then I learned it wasn't isolated. Basically just a daisy chain just like a one-spot but in a box. No point in paying over twice the price of a one spot for no perceptible performance gain.

Yes there is. With the gator you can power eight 9v pedals(1spot only 5) and three 18v pedals(zero with 1spot).

OOG
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
i have a PP+, 2 one spots, and the Gator

the Gator, while not isolated, is excellent and very quiet
and i really like the 8 X 9v + 3 X 18v thing

only thing i didn't like is that weird little plug
hasn't been a problem though

Randaddy
06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Another G-Bus-8 user here.
I've powered all sorts of pedals (I'm constantly changing) and I've not had one problem.

Oh, wait... I did have a problem with my Line 6 Echo Park in combination with another pedal. But I ended up getting rid of the other pedal and I've not had a problem since.

Waxhead
06-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Personally I don't care if it is isolated. If it doesn't add hum, I'm good. I've got two Gators.

Exactly - this unit is silent fully loaded & is reliable so who cares :YinYang

valen
06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Can the gator power Boss dual pedals like the DD-20 or CE-20 ? My one spot can power the DD-20 but not the CE-20 at the same time. It gives me clock noise from the Chorus sweep. Not sure if its a CE-20 issue.

tonewave
06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I was lied to by the distributors, I specifically and clearly asked them and
they said it was isolated outputs, and then I finally get one it comes with an external transformer, BAH! No individual transformer taps, no isolation.
did have some weird noise probs with some pedals with gator, but I could use the pp2 I also had on the board as 2nd option.
Just loved the thought of 8 x9v and 3x18, but in the end I think the product falls short of its potential.

DreamTheaterRules
06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a one spot. It makes some pedals noisy because of it's switching power supply. Perhaps the gator does not use a switching supply and the switching noise is avoided.

Csapo
06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
i have a PP+, 2 one spots, and the Gator

the Gator, while not isolated, is excellent and very quiet
and i really like the 8 X 9v + 3 X 18v thing

only thing i didn't like is that weird little plug
hasn't been a problem though

Same situation here. Works great and no hum. Use it along with my PP2+.

Only issue I have is there are no r/a cables available. Or none that I could find (I checked Stompin' Ground about 6 months ago). If so, please let me know.

elicious
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Only issue I have is there are no r/a cables available. Or none that I could find (I checked Stompin' Ground about 6 months ago). If so, please let me know.

Ya, I'm in the same boat since I've limited my pedal real estate to the PedalTote so that things don't get out of hand. Right-angle connectors would actuallly buy me quite a bit of wiggle room on my board, been thinking of pulling the trigger on some but can't justify the $40ish it would cost. I found some here (http://stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablepp2.htm#stock)...since the PP2+ cables are barrel-ended, just get the 1/8" right-angle cable and reverse them (barrel to pedal, 1/8" to GBUS8).

John Thigpen
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I really wanted some right angle cables, and bought extensions. I think I got them from Stompin' Ground, but I can't find the records. The extensions are much better quality than the Gator Cables, but it makes for a very long cable....I wish I could find replacement cables with the right connectors.

In fact, that's my biggest complaint about the Gator power supply...both the pedal cables and the main power cable seem flimsy. I don't know what I'll do when the cable on the wall wart goes.

John

valen
06-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Does the G-BUS-8 only come with the barrel ends for the pedals ? I have some vintage pedals that take a 1/8" jack. My current one spot combo pack comes with an adaptor cable that has a 1/8" end and the ground setup correctly so that the sleeve is the ground.

Also, I was not aware that the G-BUS-8 does not come with angled connectors for the pedals. Do they assume that people will only have Boss pedals or what ?