PDA

View Full Version : NYC Pedal Boards

LOCUSTFIST
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
any body pick one up? The prices look killer.

any good?

their site (http://nycpedalboards.com/)

onestop
06-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Yup. Great boards! I have a custom version of the Gigman (same length but not as deep) and once own the Lunchbox version which I'm thinking of buying again.

Geetar_Will
06-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Love my gigman. A few of my friends have them to.

meterman
06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Have had a Gigman for several years, great board. Had a Pedalhead too but sold it, now I have added a Six Shot. Good design, solid workmanship, good prices.

As an aside, I honestly can't understand why anyone would want a board that didn't have a solid, latching lid with the board as the bottom of the case. Pedalboard in a soft bag, what's the point? Flight case with board in the bottom slightly better, but this design where you just put it on the floor & pop the lid is the way to go IMHO of course....

LOCUSTFIST
06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
thanks guys

steadygarcia
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Have had a Gigman for several years, great board. Had a Pedalhead too but sold it, now I have added a Six Shot. Good design, solid workmanship, good prices.

As an aside, I honestly can't understand why anyone would want a board that didn't have a solid, latching lid with the board as the bottom of the case. Pedalboard in a soft bag, what's the point? Flight case with board in the bottom slightly better, but this design where you just put it on the floor & pop the lid is the way to go IMHO of course....
Good point. Now I'm gonna have to buy one of these. And to think I have been perfectly happy with my Furman (soft case) until now. Damn, sometimes I hate TGP.
:)

PosterBoy
06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
My pedalhead came today and it looks great, good quality and looks

Don L
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a Pedalhead with 2nd level riser and love it!!!

mistercoffee1
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
The only issue I have with mine is if you remove pedals to move them around, the velcro tends to cause the carpet to lift and get kinked/lumpy after a while.
I've had to remove the entire top wooden plank, and stretch out the carpet to flatten it, and then put the screws back in.

meterman
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
The only issue I have with mine is if you remove pedals to move them around, the velcro tends to cause the carpet to lift and get kinked/lumpy after a while.
I've had to remove the entire top wooden plank, and stretch out the carpet to flatten it, and then put the screws back in.

Yeah that can happen, some of the stronger Velcro can really grip. I usually pull up with one hand while pressing down on the fabric next to the pedal to minimize stretching etc. Mike will recover a board for a very reasonable charge but the shipping is not cheap....

meterman
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Good point. Now I'm gonna have to buy one of these. And to think I have been perfectly happy with my Furman (soft case) until now. Damn, sometimes I hate TGP.
:)

LOL sorry bro. Just a bad flashback to the days when I schlepped my homemade board back and forth in a pillowcase and my stuff got all beat to hell :)

jlagrassa
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I have a 6 shot, very well made board. I did have an issue with the material they use for mounting your pedals after a while it did become loose and lift up but I ripped all that out and replaced it with heavy duty velcro from 3M....much better with that stuff!

onestop
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Quick tip. Go to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, WHATEVER) and purchase a plastic putty knife -something like this: http://www.reddevil.com/productDetail.cfm?id=4711RT&c=pk&cat=7

And use that to slide it in between the velcro on the pedal and the carpeting. It'll save your board and help keep from tugging at the base :AOK

meterman
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I have a 6 shot, very well made board. I did have an issue with the material they use for mounting your pedals after a while it did become loose and lift up but I ripped all that out and replaced it with heavy duty velcro from 3M....much better with that stuff!

How old is your board J? They were using some cheaper stuff in the beginning but I believe they have switched to the Velcro brand fabric as of a few years ago and it's much better stuff.

NewarkWilder
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
i hadn't seen these-- very very nice. looks like i can finally get one the size i need w/o building it myself.

guildchild
06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Quick tip. Go to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, WHATEVER) and purchase a plastic putty knife -something like this: http://www.reddevil.com/productDetail.cfm?id=4711RT&c=pk&cat=7

And use that to slide it in between the velcro on the pedal and the carpeting. It'll save your board and help keep from tugging at the base :AOK

or use the credit card style hotel room keys. this takes up less room and can hide anywhere on the board.

i've got a big shot with split risers. had it for about 9 months and really like it. it's seen about 100 shows, airplanes, etc and, although showing signs of wear, is still perfectly intact. also, when things break or get torn off, the guy at nyc is really great about getting you going again.

ptdesign
06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I love my six, best board I've had. I've got the upgrade latches etc...

I did however install a 3/16 smoked plexi top on it and the pedals velcro down like a dream. 0 movement. No issues.

I'll try to post a pic here soon.

steadygarcia
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
LOL sorry bro. Just a bad flashback to the days when I schlepped my homemade board back and forth in a pillowcase and my stuff got all beat to hell :)

Haha! I hear ya! Actually the soft case with the Furman isn't too bad. If i were doing heavy road touring I'd go for the hard case as you described. But for the local gigs, this one's fine. It has a couple of pouches on the inside where I can keep all my guitar cables and back up pedal cables etc. So I'm down to a guitar on my back, pedal bag in one hand, amp in the other.

ptdesign
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Screws are countersunk course drywall screws. 4'' apart. If you decide to do this make sure the original top screws are below the surface and stay a good 1.5 inches http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/paultrombettadesign/010-3.jpgaway from the edges and corners. Too close and you'll split the plexi.

thiscalltoarms
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
i like the lunch box model, but the bigger ones become problematic for me in terms of where i stash the power supply...

blackba
06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I have a couple of NYC pedalboards. The older one has some issues with the carpeting coming up, the newer one is fine for now. Other than that, I have been pleased with mine. I have the standard 36's or whatever they are called now....

improv4
06-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I should receive mine on Friday. I'm stoked!

Goofball
06-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I've bought 5 over the last 4-5 years - great pedalboards! My main one ( a Big Shot) is my oldest and has seen all sorts of use and abuse over the years and is still going strong. I have varying sizes for big gigs, small gigs/rehearsals, acoustic gigs, a special looping board, and the Lunchbox model (which i gave to our bass player).

I've had the same issues with the carpet pulling off after a while but it's not that big of a deal since i now mount the pedals directly on the board. It was a little irritating before that though. I think the newer carpet holds pedals a lot better too.

But - they are great boards and incredibly durable. That, the ease of set up/tear down, and a decent price convinced me that this was the board to have.

When I ordered my last one, Mike at NYC even sent me a new handle because it wore out on my Big Shot!

burningyen
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I've had a couple, still use one, but yeah, the carpeting came off both, even the newer one with the stronger glue. I plan to install a plexi top at some point. It's a shame Mike doesn't offer that as an option. The overall board+case design is a great balance of convenience, ruggedness and weight for local gigging.

ptdesign, where did you buy the plexi?

cbpickin
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I've had my Pedalhead for 2 years and I still love it. I use a credit card to slide under pedals when I take them on and off. No problems with the velcro material yet.
I switched over from my Furman with the gig bag when I bought my first $300 pedal.

thewex
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
i think i have the gigman so far about 4.5 years. its great. when i redid my board with lava cables recently, i took off all the pedals and actually gave it a good vacumn (I had dog hair entrenched in the carpet of the board lol). i should have done that more often. but yeah, great boards!

guildchild
06-05-2008, 10:50 AM
i like the lunch box model, but the bigger ones become problematic for me in terms of where i stash the power supply...

under the tiers. i have both a PP2 and a dc brick under my split tiers. i'm sure i'm not supposed to, but i power the dc brick with the ac out of the pp2. still just 1 power cable to plug in when i'm setting up.