PDA

View Full Version : Best Cables

jeffrey827
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
what cables do yuo guys reccomend for a guitar or a microphone?

skydog
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
George L's are the best buy in guitar cables.

Jaradc
06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
George L's are mid grade cables, mid grade not meaning bad. Just meaning not the best out there, ofcourse the best can be 600+ dollars.

Check out Lavacable.com

sfletch
06-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I use Fulltone cables for guitar...they seem pretty good and durable. For my vocal mic. I use the best Mogami I can find - as short as possible. I have it in my head that shorter cable runs are better....true to a certain extent - but it doesn't really matter live.

I really like coily guitar cables, but the Fender ones suck and aren't long enough....anyone know any good ones?

markezgotez
06-11-2008, 01:44 AM
the best sounding cables i have ever tried were the evidence audio lyric hg. did a big shoot-out with those the george l's, fulltone, and monster cables. my favorite sounding was the evidence audio lyric hg for sure... (also the most expensive of all of them)

Voxshall
06-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I have been researching cable lately and ended up ordering the following from Lava Cables.

ELC for pedal board, Sommer Stratos for Vox (Clean), Vovox into Marshall (Dirty).

EA Siren II Speaker cable for the Vox and Kimber Speaker cable for the Marshall.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it.

parntz145
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Vovox for the guitar and Kimber for the speakers.

geetarman
06-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Evidence Audio Lyric for me.

MARK1970
06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Best for:
Guitar- Van den Hul
Pedalboard- Lava ELC
Speaker- Siren 2 (Evidence Audio)

I agree 100% on the Van den hul. I have had nothing, but problems with my George L's. I guess they are ok if you don't ever move them and they are affordable. I will be replacing all my pedalboard with the new Van den hul patch cables or the Lava ELC.

Cary Chilton
06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
mogami's for mics

GuiltySpark
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
For me, "best" means four things, none of them more important than any other:

1. sound quality
2. durability on stage
3. behavior, i.e., does it tend to tangle or does it behave itself around your feet
4. cost

For guitar cables, Canare GS-6 terminated with G&H and Neutrik plugs. If you build it yourself, the bang-for-the-buck is unmatched.

For mic cable, Canare L4E6S with Neutrik ends can't be beat. Again, build it yourself and it's dirt cheap for what you're getting. I've been in pro- and broadcast-audio for 10 years, and I won't use anything else for live shows or field shoots. It's tough and has very high pull-test numbers.

You can buy more expensive stuff than this, obviously, but at some point you're spending a LOT more money on for a LITTLE more gain in "sound quality", possibly at the detriment of "behavior", possibly not. My recommendations above are what I consider the best buy considering all four factors above.

Also an important attribute of a guitar cable is its length. A lesser cable that's half as long as a better cable might sound better... not all things are equal. Keep those unbalanced runs as short as you can!!

I take John's approach here, but instead of Canare, I use Mogami 2524 for inst and Mogami 2534 for mic. All G&H for 1/4" and Neutrik for XLR. Same principal.

yodchula
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
check out this link

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/49-guitar-cables/apr-08/34729

But for me the best is Analysis Plus Pro Oval

kludge
06-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I have my doubts about the Guitar Player article, if only because they rated the Sommer Grindycop Beast absolutely terrible for handling noise, but mine is by far the quietest cable I own for handling noise. I don't know whether it was a typo, a different methodology, or what, but it's not right.

Lava Cable has a great selection. Buy what you can afford!

RC2
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
The best I've found are the Evidence Lyric HG cables and Evidence Melody for patch cables. I couldn't hear enough of a deference to justify spending more money on cables than these cost.

musicman1
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I look for three things, nice solid, quality metal ends without any shrinkwrap...about 10 foot long and cheap...

qatcat
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Evidence cables are probably going to be your best quality cable out there.

If you don't want to break the bank look at the Mogami cables. They are fantastic. I've had good luck with George L's for the board too.