PDA

View Full Version : what kind of glue to hold a nut in place?

06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
The nut on my guitar just popped loose. what kind of glue should I use to hold it in place?

Elmers? Super glue/Crazy glue?

Some other glue?

Mike9
06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Elmer's is recommended just make sure you clean the old glue off first so it bonds well.

John Thigpen
06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Dan Erlewine @ Stewart MacDonald recommends Titebond, which is a good all purpose glue for luthiers. Superglue sets too quickly. Here's the link where I got this info, showing how to make a nut:

http://www.stewmac.com/nuts

John

Structo
06-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Elmers

mike80
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I've always used elmers. You just need enough strength to keep it from moving across the neck, since the string tension keeps it down for the most part.

...and if it comes time for a replacement, it's easy enough to pop loose.

doublee
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I dont quite understand why any glue is needed, doesnt the string tension keep it steady? That being said I used a tiny bit of Titebond as per Stew Mac.

mike80
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I dont quite understand why any glue is needed, doesnt the string tension keep it steady? That being said I used a tiny bit of Titebond as per Stew Mac.

String tension can keep the nut in place, but if you do any string bending, the nut can slip. I've had this happen on a guitar a long time ago. I would bend a string, and the nut would move 1/4".

06-11-2008, 08:03 PM

on my guitar the low E and A strings are at enough of an angle to slide the nut out of place.

But, once again, I'm not capable of even the easiest of fixes. I put on elmers and tuned up and now I've got massive string buzz on all the strings. the high e and b are completely unplayable. I don't know how the neck could have changed that quickly while gluing the nut. so i just took the nut off, wiped off the elmers and I'll take it to my repair guy.

mike80
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Were there strings on the guitar before you glued the nut? Just glueing a nut shouldn't change anything, unless you had the strings off for a period of time, then the neck could have got a little backbow in it.

Try glueing the nut, tuning to pitch, and let it sit overnight. Try playing it again in the morning.

Glue shouldn't affect the action at all.

walterw
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
belay that. if you can't figure out the reason that the nut would not go back on at the same height, leave the glue off and take it in, so that it remains an easy fix for your tech instead of becoming a headache.

06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah, I took the nut off and I'll let the tech do it right thursday morning.

AndrewSimon
06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
My tech uses a tinny dot of super glue, just to hold it in place when the strings are off.
Whatever you use make sure it's something you can remove easily later on.

:rolleyes:

Ooogie
06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
belay that.

Damn, haven't heard that term since I got out of the Navy 20 years ago...brings back memories :BEER

bconwil
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
There are thread locking compounds, such as loctite, that allow you to still remove a nut, but prevents its from coming loose through vibration.

Bob V
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Loctite - what an idea. Holds but only sort of and you can get it off later. Never slip and always break, like a bowline (how's that for an old salt's expression?).

Has anyone tried it on wood/bone?

SnidelyWhiplash
06-12-2008, 01:45 PM
A little Elmer's all-purpose glue will do just nicely.

EADGBE
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
The nut on my guitar just popped loose. what kind of glue should I use to hold it in place?

Elmers? Super glue/Crazy glue?

Some other glue?Elmer's white or Elmer's carpenters glue. Use just a little bit. Remember you'll want to replace the nut eventually when it wears out. So don't use crazy or super glue.

walterw
06-13-2008, 01:56 AM
i use superglue because it dries quick and brittle, but it's a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands (like a tambourine or a credit card). a couple little drops will freeze the nut hard in place but still allow for easy removal.

Jack Briggs
06-13-2008, 05:39 AM
i use superglue because it dries quick and brittle, but it's a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands (like a tambourine or a credit card). a couple little drops will freeze the nut hard in place but still allow for easy removal.

Superglue (Cyano Acrylate) is the glue to use. A little bit is all that's needed. I wouldn't use Elmer's or wood glue because the glue film would be a little too thick.

Rob Sharer
06-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Good man, Jack. Superglue is one of the most "musical" glues, since it is essentially crystalline when it dries. I would never use Elmer's or Titebond, especially types 2 or 3, since they dry a bit rubbery. This is not what you want at the nut. Additionally, when it's time to remove the nut, one sharp rap will shatter the bond cleanly, assuming you haven't used too much superglue.

Another good, "musical" choice would be hot hide glue, but not everyone has access to that. Avoid the liquid hide glue altogether. Cheers,

Rob

Rosewood
06-13-2008, 07:32 AM
I use the thick super glue for the extra few seconds it allows for positioning, a couple of drops with no squeeze out. And yes Walter, no tambourine players allowed.

GtrDr
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Two drops of super glue here.