PDA

View Full Version : What speaker did you replace your vintage 30 with?

nrvana8775
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm running a strat/tele into a rivera knucklehead; it goes without saying that the highs are little heavy :rolleyes:. I swapped out one of my vintage 30s with an eminence legend v12, and have been running that and the v30 in tandem.

The highs are really starting to get to me though, and I'd like to roll them off a little bit. I've messed with the tone knobs quite a bit, and I can't seem to find the right balance between cutting through/shrill.

So, what did you replace your vintage 30 with? I can't even begin to describe the type of music that I play, so I'll just say 'rock' :BEER. I'd like tight/focused bass, rounded highs, and enough mids to cut through (not scooped metal territory though).

marty44
06-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Actually I've used two in different amps.
The Eminence Legend GB112 and The Governor. Both reduced the V30s annoying ice picks. I found their bottom end fine for my ears.

I still have thought of using Weber's "Beam Buster" for $20.
If you go to Harmony Central under Weber there are many people that found the Beam Buster an inexpensive solution for their V30s.
Marty

nrvana8775
06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, tightening up the bass and removing the shrill highs are my two main concerns. The bass farts a little bit when using low e and a strings, and the focus knob on my rivera can't really seem to correct that.

I don't want to deviate too much from my base tone, I'd just like to refine these tonal issues.

I utilize my clean and distortion at the same rate, so I'm not looking for something that is specifically voiced to give 'marshall lead' tones. I enjoy the shimmery cleans that I have now, but they can get ice-picky if I hit the string too aggressively.

vettelt11992
06-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Some say the Veteran 30's are a good replacement for this, i have never tried it but maybe someone here could post their opinion on it...

nrvana8775
06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Other threads were suggesting helltone 60s?

I might try out the veteran 30s. Like I said though, I want something for open cleans and focused distortion.

just ken
06-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I found the Eminence Governor and the Mesa Celestion 90 more to my liking. The Governor more closely in the V30 camp, but w/out the grating response that you're describing.

vbjamin
06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Badcat Cud 11 stock speaker is a V30. I replaced it with an MC90 and then a Greenback, couldn,t be happier.

nrvana8775
06-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Badcat Cud 11 stock speaker is a V30. I replaced it with an MC90 and then a Greenback, couldn,t be happier.

Greenback?

I don't think that will work for what I'm doing :)

I might end up getting the warehouse veteran 30. I want something similar to the v30, but I'd like I'd like to tame the highs and move away from the fizzled mids.

mrmuzikhead
06-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Austin Speaker Works 70 hrtz

nrvana8775
06-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Austin Speaker Works 70 hrtz

Can't find any info online :o

Teh RedWizard
06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Weber Silver Bell

Guinness Lad
06-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Some say the Veteran 30's are a good replacement for this, i have never tried it but maybe someone here could post their opinion on it...

These are the speakers to use if you like the basic sound of a V30 but cannot stand the high midrange peak. This is often the frequency which cannot be dialed out in many amps. The Veteren 30 is same basic voice without the spike, I really dig them and it is all I use right now.

stratotastic
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I have a couple WGS Vet 30's and they definitely aren't lacking in the high end dept. I used to use V30s exclusively, but it's been a while and I haven't done a side-by-side, but I don't think the Vets are gonna do much for you if you're trying to tame the sizzle.

stratzrus
06-23-2008, 09:25 AM
The Celestion Sidewinder is great if you can find one (they were highly recommended by John Phillips). I also like the ceramic EV SRO's.

The two work well together and eliminated some concerns I had with my Knucklehead Reverb. The highs are smooth and the bottom is full and tight.

jamison162
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Greenback?

I don't think that will work for what I'm doing :)

I might end up getting the warehouse veteran 30. I want something similar to the v30, but I'd like I'd like to tame the highs and move away from the fizzled mids.

Scumback M75-HP
Eminence Private Jack
Celestion Heritage G12-65

All are great, great speakers and much better than V30's IMO.

Guinness Lad
06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Scumback M75-HP
Eminence Private Jack
Celestion Heritage G12-65

All are great, great speakers and much better than V30's IMO.

Be honest, you just prefer GB speakers. It's all application, if you want high volume and clarity without compression a BG will not deliver it.

frankencat
06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I replaced one of the V30's in my 2x12 cab with an Emi GB12 and it's more balanced now and a little smoother.

nrvana8775
06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I have a couple WGS Vet 30's and they definitely aren't lacking in the high end dept. I used to use V30s exclusively, but it's been a while and I haven't done a side-by-side, but I don't think the Vets are gonna do much for you if you're trying to tame the sizzle.

Really? :o

My gear is bright by nature, so I have been looking for speakers that are a little more rounded in the high end department. You're saying the vet 30's don't really live up to the tonal description that the company gives?

nrvana8775
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
The Celestion Sidewinder is great if you can find one (they were highly recommended by John Phillips). I also like the ceramic EV SRO's.

The two work well together and eliminated some concerns I had with my Knucklehead Reverb. The highs are smooth and the bottom is full and tight.

Ahh, someone with a similar setup :AOK.

I will be keeping the eminence legend that I have in there, so I would like something that mixes well with that. I bought the legend v12 because it was described as being like a v30, but with the cuts in mid/high. Since the v12 is really similar, I might go for a speaker that is a little more rounded/dark.

I think some of the speakers you guys are suggesting might not work for my application. I play indie/math-rock and I'm not really going after the 'vintage' tones of a jtm45 or bluesbreaker type amps. I prefer the full-bodied/spanky/jazzy cleans and the tight/focused/just enough mids to cut through distortion.

Has anyone tried using hemp cones at all? I might end up going for something a little darker.

Guinness Lad
06-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Really? :o

My gear is bright by nature, so I have been looking for speakers that are a little more rounded in the high end department. You're saying the vet 30's don't really live up to the tonal description that the company gives?

I disagree with the earlier assessment. You will probably find that a majority of the people out there think the Veteren 30 is far smoother then a V30. Go to the Warehouse site, they have clips you can listen to.

Ricker
06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, tightening up the bass and removing the shrill highs are my two main concerns. The bass farts a little bit when using low e and a strings, and the focus knob on my rivera can't really seem to correct that.

I don't want to deviate too much from my base tone, I'd just like to refine these tonal issues.

I utilize my clean and distortion at the same rate, so I'm not looking for something that is specifically voiced to give 'marshall lead' tones. I enjoy the shimmery cleans that I have now, but they can get ice-picky if I hit the string too aggressively.

Well I know you may not think so ...........But v30s are designed to have tight bass and rolled off Highs....and that's exactly what they do.
This is not an opinion.....

What you may be referring to are the upper mids.
Farty bass has to be your amp......or something else
The v30's don't have the most or deepest bass around but the bass they do have is very tight.............

Go Figure....he he

Rick

scroff
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Ahh, someone with a similar setup :AOK.

I will be keeping the eminence legend that I have in there, so I would like something that mixes well with that. I bought the legend v12 because it was described as being like a v30, but with the cuts in mid/high. Since the v12 is really similar, I might go for a speaker that is a little more rounded/dark.

I think some of the speakers you guys are suggesting might not work for my application. I play indie/math-rock and I'm not really going after the 'vintage' tones of a jtm45 or bluesbreaker type amps. I prefer the full-bodied/spanky/jazzy cleans and the tight/focused/just enough mids to cut through distortion.

Has anyone tried using hemp cones at all? I might end up going for something a little darker.
Might want to consider the cannabis rex from eminence.

guitarvc
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I have heard that combining a G12H30 with a V-30 is a great combination. I like V-30's myself, as long as it is being used with a modern amp like a Bogner, Egnater or Soldano. Currently I have for the first time departed from using V-30's in my cab. I have Celestion Heritage G12-65's in a semi open large Stone Age 2x12 and I couldn't be happier. This cab has performed magnificently with my Mod 50 and a whole host of other modern and vintage.

The only time I don't like V-30's is with vintage Marshalls or Fenders. With those amps the speakers sound terrible. That being said, with my Soldano SLO 100 the Soldano 4 x 12 with v-30's was fantastic. W#ith My Bogner Shiva and XTC the V-30's again were perfect for me. I don't understand why there are some who do not like them, unless they are using a Plexi ot Blackface Fender.

oxtone
06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
I used V30's for years, until I got tired of the mid - hump they had.

I finally ended up with: Mojotone BV-30H speakers, which don't have the mid - hump, but are clearer in all lows, mids and highs. I find them to
be just more balanced overall, and have them in all my amps and cabs now.

I have the Mojotone's in two Agape' Audio 1x12 Thiel Ported cabs for my Boogie Studio Preamp/Simul 2:90 rig, as well as my Peavey Classic 30.
I got the Mojotone's from Jeff Krumm of Savage Audio (a great guy!).

nrvana8775
06-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Hmmm

I might be interested in trying out the mojotone and the cannabis rex. Might even swap out the eminence legend.

oxtone
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
nrvana8775,

Yea, the Mojotone's are excellent! The BV-30H is their take on the Celestion G12H30, but I think the Mojotone is better overall than the Celestion, which I also tried (and found it dull). I also tried a Greenback, but didn't like that, either.

Give the fine folks at Savage Audio a call: 952-894-1022. They load the Mojotone's in many of their fine amps.

bluessyndicate
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Southbay Ampworks H75/H55 right into the Bogner OS 2x12 partial open back.

Am so happy. Never looked back.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/ed4227734ed75d343320b6a5fd16ce57/4033_p53165.jpg

Hamer95USA
06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I like the Eminence Governor a lot more than the V30 the Governor just sounds so much bigger and thicker with out the Icepick!

Hey jlagrassa,

I thought you liked the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in your VHT Pitbull Super 30. Did you switch to the Eminence Governor now? I'm still liking the sound of my Vintage 30 in my VHT Pitbull 45/12 combo amp.

Guitar George

nrvana8775
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
The bv30h is only 30 watts though, and the cannabis rex is only 50.

My rivera is 100, hmm problematic.

I might grab the cannabis rex and then see how that works. If I am still not happy, then I will try out the bvh30. Oxtone, have you tried the bv30v?

oxtone
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
The bv30h is only 30 watts though, and the cannabis rex is only 50.

My rivera is 100, hmm problematic.

I might grab the cannabis rex and then see how that works. If I am still not happy, then I will try out the bvh30. Oxtone, have you tried the bv30v?

nrvana8775,

I have not tried the BV-30V. I think it's Mojotone's "V30". Savage Audio uses the BV-30V in their amps, too. You may want to call them and see what they say about it.
I've not had any problems running the BV-30H's in my Boogie rig, which is 90 watts per side in stereo. But, I only load two 6L6's per side on the Simul Class 2:90, so I think my actual power is maybe cut in half.

nrvana8775
06-24-2008, 05:44 AM
I used V30's for years, until I got tired of the mid - hump they had.

I finally ended up with: Mojotone BV-30H speakers, which don't have the mid - hump, but are clearer in all lows, mids and highs. I find them to

I have the Mojotone's in two Agape' Audio 1x12 Thiel Ported cabs for my Boogie Studio Preamp/Simul 2:90 rig, as well as my Peavey Classic 30.
I got the Mojotone's from Jeff Krumm of Savage Audio (a great guy!).

The only thing that I'm able to find is this:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=18088&pg=45004&id=9911210

jamison162
06-24-2008, 07:04 AM
The only thing that I'm able to find is this:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=18088&pg=45004&id=9911210

That's their G12H30.

30V = Vintage 30
30H = G12H
25M = Greenback

nrvana8775
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Okay, so he and ox and I were discussing different things then.

I assume that the 30v would be more related to what I am looking for :)

rockon1
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Anything! Im a V30 hater I guess. Virtually anything sounds better to my ears. A 70/80 sounds better to me let alone higher end celestions like the G12H-30, G12-65 and G12K-100 that I favor. Bob

tjedmond
06-24-2008, 06:59 PM
I had the same issues with my tele and blues deluxe reissue. I tested about 8 speakers with it and ended up with an Eminence Private Jack. I LOVE it! It rounds off the icepick highs, and has a nice warm midrange and clear bass. I also made a "beam-blocker" strip to block the center of the speaker.

I play mostly with a slightly overdriven clean sound (using a sparkle drive often), and this speaker sounds GREAT!

I've gotten a lot of compliments on my amp tone since then.

wlalpaugh
06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I recently made a trade for a Headstrong Lil'King Reverb with the Private Jack speaker. I haven't received it yet, but what is a "beam blocker" and what does it do?
Thanks,
Walt

Iceman8.6
06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
These are the speakers to use if you like the basic sound of a V30 but cannot stand the high midrange peak. This is often the frequency which cannot be dialed out in many amps. The Veteren 30 is same basic voice without the spike, I really dig them and it is all I use right now.

Agree 100%....