PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met a Rock Star? (and under what circumstance?)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

JohnnyGtar
01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I've met a ton of them over the years because I worked in the musical instrument business, but the most important ones to me are because of true friendship: John Lee Hooker, George Lynch, Frank Marino, and John Ziegler.

God bless them!

cugel
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
i was in the urinal next to layne staley once but i didnt talk to him

troyw
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Funny story...I was at the Rainbow in Hollywood with a buddy one night and David Coverdale was at the table across from us. We both sat and watched him chain smoke about 10 cigs in a row. As we left our table, we stopped at his and my buddy says, "Hey David, big fan...(blah blah blah) I wanted to ask you though...how do you smoke like that and still sing the way you do?" Coverdale just sat back and in his english accent said, "Well, I chase them down with Jack Daniels, then don't I? We laughed our asses off!

I used to meet a lot of the 80s hair band guys during that time when the strip was hot and there was a big music scene down there. The good old days!

roknfnrol
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Ryan Adams and Neil Casal last year. Talked to them for a second when they arrived here in Louisville, KY.

troyw
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Duh - forgot my first guitar teacher was Don Dokken. Yes, he played guitar, quite well too...before he stumbled onto George Lynch. He was a big fan of Blackmore, Schenker, and Alvin Lee.

Realfi
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Met lots of guys while I was managing a guitar store that was just up the road from what was for years our city's biggest concert venue.

Met a few guys playing supports too...Lenny Kravitz in the 90's was probably the biggest as far as actual fame goes. He was cool & very repectful at sound check as was his crew. They treated us as fellow musos rather than just the support band.

Most famous folks have actually proven to be really nice-even Keanu Reeves when he was in town with that band of his. I looked up from the counter to see the store suddenly full of girls and there was Keanu. He was really humble and kind to everyone who asked him for an autograph even though he was just trying to hang out with his bandmates.

The exception was Chad Kroeger from Nickelback-completely arrogant!

roknfnrol
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Wow, they really are the worst band ever.

Zero G
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM

I've heard that a lot, and I've read interviews with him in guitar mags and he just comes off as a completely narcissistic asshole.

Realfi
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I've heard that a lot, and I've read interviews with him in guitar mags and he just comes off as a completely narcissistic asshole.

He certainly didn't impress me. Then again I wasn't exactly let down by the experience as I'm not much of a fan of his music.

When nobody recognised him he even picked up a guitar and started playing his hits accompanied by much posturing. I was tempted to ask him if he wanted a foldback wedge to complete the look.

Timmo
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Careful what you wish for.....I've found that somtimes, meeting your "Guitar Idols" can be a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT !

sqadan
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I met Mick Jones from the Clash when he was touring with Big Audio Dynamite. I think I was like 17 at the time. A relative of mine was doing the sound for the tour - I was actually in the green room with him. Pretty cool.

ak301
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Me and the G/F went to see Def Lep's Phil Collen playing with his side band Man-Raze last year in Manchester (The one in the UK).
We were walking past a posh hotel when I noticed agroup of about 8 people walking out. Thinking they looked like a bunch of musos I did a double take when I realised Phil was at the front of the group.

I got chatting with him and he was really great to talk to. He's the bloke who got me into the guitar in the first place so it was really nice to meet him.
The whole conversation was just two blokes talking about guitars and bands. We even talked martial arts as he trains in a similar system to me. He was asking questions about the Def Lep gigs I'd been to.

As they were playing in a small club we were right up at the front and during the gig I took the pi55 out of his mike stand that kept falling down. He took that well!
The dressing room was right next to the exit. After the gig (which was superb), we were waiting just to say thanks when he wandered out and came over to me asking what we thought of the gig and how the levels were etc etc,

I'm not somone who puts the guitarists I like onto any sort of pedestal but I'm sure you'd all agree meeting the guy who got you into the guitar is v cool.
As others have mentioned these folks are just normal folks with cool jobs. One of the things that impressed me the most about meeting him is I've met folks in the little English town I live in that have bigger egos than he did.

Plus I walked into Brian May at a music show. I think it was the same one were I met Monika Danneman. She was the girl Hendrix was with when he died.
I met Paul Rivera at a music show, nice bloke too. Mind you me and a mate were waffling on about how much we liked his amps so no wonder he was happy!

Don Airey came to my college to do a seminar. Nice bloke but went out wandering around the town wearing sunglasses on an overcast november day like someone was going to recognise him!

Two of my cousains were in an early eighties Heavy Metal Band called Dead Meat (quality!) with Ringo Starrs son Zak Starkey

Realfi
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Oh...I forgot.

I've met Hank Marvin several times, in fact I got him onto Kinman pickups years ago. I tend to forget that as Hank has lived in Perth for some years now so most of the guys who work or have worked in the musical instrument business here have met him. He has no elitist vibe at all, in fact he's always been one of those guys who is as interested in listening to an opinion as giving one.

ak301
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh...I forgot.

I've met Hank Marvin several times, in fact I got him onto Kinman pickups years ago. I tend to forget that as Hank has lived in Perth for some years now so most of the guys who work or have worked in the musical instrument business here have met him. He has no elitist vibe at all, in fact he's always been one of those guys who is as interested in listening to an opinion as giving one.

Kudos for that, Kinman pickups are awesome!

johndara
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I met Elton John one mornning at a restaurant in the Hotel he was staying at. Me and my girl at the time went to see him at he Worster Centrum in Massachusettes back in 1989 I believe. We decided to get a room at this Hotel and spend the rest of the week there. The concert was great. Then we heard rumors that Elton was staying in the same hotel as we were. We found his room and outside his door were a case of empty Dom Periogne bottles. We grabbed a couple as sovouneirs. Anyway, the next morning we go to breakfast and on the way out of the restaurant we see Elton and his body guard walking in. My girl and I stood there with our mouths open for a few seconds while I held out my hand to introduce ourselves but nothing came out..he shook my hand and said nice to meet ya...finally I said "John" and he said "Elton" and they walked into the restaurant. I felt like a total ass for being so starstruck,,,but it took me by surprise. If I had been waiting in line to meet him I would have had time to think of what I wanted to say. But anyway, that's my story and Im sticking to it.
Oh yea,,,I met Rick Derringer when he played here in Connecticut at Cheny Hall in Manchester. I remember they were recording that night and they finally released the disc not too long ago. They had a meet and signing in the basement after the concert. Really nice guy and actually took time to chat a few minutes even though the line was wrapped around the room. One of my Idols for sure.

Asimauve
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Met Sonic Youth in 2005, the most awesomest people of all time ... beyond fun, kind and cool, just a privilege ...

Met David Gilmour in Toronto at an after party 2 years ago, I dunno ... maybe because he's British and the conversation tends to be a bit dry I didn' quite get him ...

Met William Shatner at a friend's wedding ... awesome guy, very kind, but has that '' grandfather '' thing to him you can't escape, total opposite when I met Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen is the coolest

Flyin' Brian
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I hang with all of the Doobie Brothers 2 or 3 times a year

I had the following as passengers not all rock stars:

Elton John
Jon Bon Jovi
Bruce Springsteen
Gerry Garcia Band
Depeche Mode
Boston
Dan Fogelberg
Travis Tritt
Hank Williams Jr.
Clint Black & Lisa Hartman
Hulk & Linda Hogan (better days) and most of the WWF in the late 80s
Itzhak Perlman
Luciano Pavarotti
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo
Marlo Thomas
Raquel Welsh
Bianca Jagger
Barbara Walters
Susan St James
Dan Aykroyd
Bill Murray
Art Modell
Wellington Mara
Lawrence Taylor
Rush Limbaugh
Alice Cooper
Gordy Howe
Engelbert Humperdinck
Tony Bennett
Marilyn Quail
Kathy Lee Gifford

enocaster
01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I hang with all of the Doobie Brothers 2 or 3 times a year

I had the following as passengers not all rock stars:

Elton John
Jon Bon Jovi
Bruce Springsteen
Gerry Garcia Band
Depeche Mode
Boston
Dan Fogelberg
Travis Tritt
Hank Williams Jr.
Clint Black & Lisa Hartman
Hulk & Linda Hogan (better days) and most of the WWF in the late 80s
Itzhak Perlman
Luciano Pavarotti
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo
Marlo Thomas
Raquel Welsh
Bianca Jagger
Barbara Walters
Susan St James
Dan Aykroyd
Bill Murray
Art Modell
Wellington Mara
Lawrence Taylor
Rush Limbaugh
Alice Cooper
Gordy Howe
Engelbert Humperdinck
Tony Bennett
Marilyn Quail
Kathy Lee Gifford

OK Brian, you don't get off easy - with that list you need to share some stories!

Hootad Binky
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I met Mick Taylor who'd been living in a crappy caravan (Winnebago) at the time and had pulled into a local favourite late-night restaurant with his small entourage of balding, fat men from New York (from his label at the time - Maze Records? - that had just released his live album Stranger In Town (?)....

Anyway I'd worshipped every lead from every vinyl bootleg all through high school and halway through college there he was - played lead guitar with Kieth Richards at the Stones height - and no-one, absolutely no-one in the whole place - and it was packed after the Friday Night show - knew who he was!

He sat down right next to be so I complemented him on the show and he was very gracious, dry and personable. I was very familiar with his best tours with the Stones (you could only really hear him playing and often leading the band on the bootlegs) so I asked him about specific shows - like the famous "Brussels Affair" - and he told me he'd never listened to any of these recordings - never bothered - until he was in New York one time and was astonished at how many there now were. So at least we had something to talk about. I asked him about a rather seedy appearance on a guitar instruction video ("Hot Licks") and he laughed immediately and recounted how he's onlt has 5 minutes notice or something. Then we all ate and he left. Later I told the manager, who was proud of all his signed celebrity photos, that the ex-lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones had just left and he was gutted.

aaron1433
01-26-2009, 10:59 PM
BB King, Victor Wooten, spent a week with the LAGQ, Joe Satriani, Edgar Meyer, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, John Jorgenson, King's X, masterclasses with Wynton Marsalis, James Carter, Stefon Haris & Blackout, Eric Marienthal, Russell Malone, Allen Vizutti. Admittedly, many of the names mentioned are Jazz stars, but close enough. I won't even list the classical stars, as there are too many, and 9 out of 10 still wouldn't know who they are.

All but one struck me as very kind and gracious.

C.SCAN3
01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Pissed next to Al Kooper at a Rock Club in Boston where I was watching a Black Keys show. Al sat in on organ with The Black Keys. I pissed next to a legend!

Alastorbr
01-27-2009, 02:22 AM
My cousin went to school with and is friends with Johnny Lang, which means that I am too. Hah.

My dad's good friend is buddies with Aerosmith, met them.

Met and played Rich Gilbert's guitar. Not a rockstar, but pretty popular on the Nashville scene and a phenomenal guitar player.

Met Jeff Tweedy.

I think that's it.

randy morser
01-27-2009, 04:44 AM
I met Greg Allman a few weeks ago. I was asleep in bed and my buddy calls me and said, "hey, I took Greg Allman out to dinner. You wanna come out for drinks?" My wife and I shambled out of bed and got there about 30 secs after my friend texted me a message saying Greg wanted to go back to the hotel. Well, we run up there anyway and met him as he was leaving the club. We all stood around for a few minutes and then he left. I hung with his bass player for a few and then took off and went back to bed. A little let down, but I still got to shake his hand. The next night I got to sit in the front on comp tickets. It was a good show.

I also grew up haning and jamming with Sean and Sara Watkins from Nickel Creek.

Ummm...

One of my mentors was the first bass player in the Deodato band. I dunno. Rockstars? I don't really have a lot going there. I'd have a little more to say if this were a jazz thread, I guess.

Randy

Red Suede
01-27-2009, 05:23 AM
My friend Lyle Workman set me up with Tony Williams to help him turn some concerto music into rock tunes. I go to his house and there's this huge DW drum set with 3 26 inch bass drums in his usual canary yellow with red hardware. I asked him why three bass drums and he said he was working on a new concept. This was before he went into the hospital. Needless to say, I wish I could have heard the concept as he was one of my favorite drummers.

lpfella
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I met Slash. He was playing a show with his band, Snake Pit in the twin cities. One of my friend's bands opened for him. So, I got to meet him. Of course, in true slash tradition, I got completely wasted on Whiskey and was really starstruck. But it was really cool to hang with him for a bit.

I recorded with Steve Albini and hung out with him, Todd Trainer, and Bob Weston. I also met the members of God Speed You Black Emperor in chicago.

LavaMan
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Just met Alice Cooper at NAMM - nice guy.

lpfella
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Forgot. cuz I was drunk once again but I stumbled on to the Blind Melon Tour bus after a show. They were all nice guys. The one guitarist with the black hair. I couldn't believe how short this man is.

enocaster
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I also met the members of God Speed You Black Emperor in chicago.

On the night of a godspeed show, some friends and I put on a post-show performance of ambient music (to come down from the epic-ness!) followed by a party, all at a nearby gallery space. The godspeed members showed up just as we finished playing; we told them we weren't allowed to play any later (noise) but we were going to start a keg-fueled dance party in the basement. What happened next was both funny and telling for the future of the band - half of the group (there are like ten of them) were visibly turned off and left immediately. Just as quickly, the other half of the group excitedly piled into the basement (ahead of us, even). Neither half of them said goodbye to the other half or discussed who was staying or going. I knew at that moment there wouldn't be another godspeed album! We ended up getting to know some of them pretty well and they set up a band of mine with a show when our tour brought us to Montreal.

Paul Conway
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
BB King, Victor Wooten, spent a week with the LAGQ, Joe Satriani, Edgar Meyer, John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, John Jorgenson, King's X, masterclasses with Wynton Marsalis, James Carter, Stefon Haris & Blackout, Eric Marienthal, Russell Malone, Allen Vizutti. Admittedly, many of the names mentioned are Jazz stars, but close enough. I won't even list the classical stars, as there are too many, and 9 out of 10 still wouldn't know who they are.

All but one struck me as very kind and gracious.

Would it be a trifle inappropriate to ask, 'which one'?

Jim Jones
01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I work in radio so I've met a bunch people over the years - not "monster famous" but some I'd call famous. And some infamous ones, too. :)

I introduced a Sebastian Bach performance at a bar in Regina, SK back in '99 or 2000. As he approached from side stage I could see his lips moving and he looked pretty angry but I couldn't tell what he was saying. As he got closer it became quite clear he was saying, "Get the !@#$ off the stage" quite passionately. I tried to explain what I was doing there but before I knew it he'd grabbed me by the collar, reefed on the front of my shirt popping all the buttons off and then he threw me over the crowd fence in one fell swoop. Without missing a beat he grabbed the mic, screamed into it and the band started playing like it was all part of the show.

It didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Jim

squeally dan
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I work in radio so I've met a bunch people over the years - not "monster famous" but some I'd call famous. And some infamous ones, too. :)

I introduced a Sebastian Bach performance at a bar in Regina, SK back in '99 or 2000. As he approached from side stage I could see his lips moving and he looked pretty angry but I couldn't tell what he was saying. As he got closer it became quite clear he was saying, "Get the !@#$ off the stage" quite passionately. I tried to explain what I was doing there but before I knew it he'd grabbed me by the collar, reefed on the front of my shirt popping all the buttons off and then he threw me over the crowd fence in one fell swoop. Without missing a beat he grabbed the mic, screamed into it and the band started playing like it was all part of the show.

Wow. Best story of the day!

It didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Jim

Best story of the day!!

joseph
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw S Bach in Jesus Christ Superstar production with the late great Carl Anderson (the original Judas) around 2003. Whenever Bach was on it was Jesus Christ Spinal Tap, a real screamer/screecher; at one point I was wincing, and I saw Anderson was wincing also ;).

241guy
02-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I remember running into Steve Stevens in Rudy's music store in the mid 80's when I was 16...He was an ass! I was in the back of the store checking out some guitar when there was a bit of whispering and commotion in the store. I overheard someone saying that Steve Stevens from Billy Idol had just walked in. Now back in those days there were a ton of metal head glam band people floating around everywhere and in NYC you could easily confuse a celebrity with a wannabe. He was at the front counter with no make up and wearing an outfit you could not wear North of Houston Street even in the 80's. I asked him "Are you Steve Stevens?" and he turned to me and said "What if I ****ing am?"..... I was embarrased and everyone in the store stopped what they were doing and looked at us. I was so shocked a guitar player I admired would be like that. I told him you couldn't be Steve Stevens...at which point a shocked confused look came over his face.......so I said to him " Steve Stevens sucks and he would never come into Rudy's". All the customers in the store laughed at him and Rudy yelled at me to get out in his thick accent. I left the store and never saw that little idiot again.

sinner
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I played a couple games of pool with Peter Hammill (Van der Graaf Generator). I thought I might also learn from him the meaning of the universe, but nah.

Tonekat
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
1970s - Chatted with Ry Cooder a bit after his set at an outdoor concert at my school in NYS. I have a slide I took, he looks really messed up in the pic.

1980s - Met Bo Diddley in the lobby of the Henley Park Hotel in DC and got his autograph. Was a nice guy about it too.

early 80s - Got to talk with Denny Walley a bit after his performance playing slide with Captain Beefheart in Poughkeepsie, NY. Robert Williams, the drummer, was there too, and he gave me his address in LA to send him copies of the pics I took that night. I never did. (sorry John) Both were friendly and willing to share musical views.

floydfanatic
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Met Buddy Guy at the Saskatoon Jazz Fest a couple of years ago. He signed my 50th AnniversaryLimited ED. 50th Strat. Gonna be holding onto that one for a while.

speakerjones
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I work in live sound, so I've met and worked with many rock stars. Some are more approachable than others, and you can usually tell right off the bat. The glamour has more or less worn off, but it's still really cool when I get to meet a personal hero. Some stars that I thought were extra cool to work and chat with were: the guys from Phish, B.B. King, Joan Jett, Bob Wier, Chris Barron, Arlo Guthrie, The Smothers Bros., Robert Cray, Bobby McFerrin and Susan Tedeschi. There are many others that I'm sure I'm leaving out. There were some real tools too which can be a disappointment when I like their music, but I won't name any of them.

By far the coolest experience was when I was doing sound at this yearly benefit for deformed Chinese kids at a yacht club that always gets killer acts. Performing were Carlos Santana and Robert Randolph. Carlos is definitely one of my personal heroes, so I had to introduce myself. We chatted for a bit until up walks none other than Paul Reed Smith with a couple of new guitars for Carlos to try out. Since I had work to do, I excused myself but stayed close enough to check out those guitars and Carlos' reaction which was very favorable. After the incredible show, I thanked Carlos for such a great show and he shook my hand and said "no, thank YOU brother!". Definitely an experience I'll never forget.

mcknigs
02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I could mention names that many of you guys would recognize but probably wouldn't be considered rock stars. Still some of them are heros of mine so that's what's important to me:

Shook hands with, but didn't really talk to, Willie Nelson.

Have conversed with members of NRBQ, Marshall Crenshaw, dBs, Rosie Flores, Vicki Peterson, Freedy Johnston, Dave Alvin, Marty Stuart, ummm... lot's of cool people who play in great bands.

Have played* with Bill Kirchen, Paul Westerberg, Noel "Paul" Stookey, Rich Gilbert, Scott McCaughey, maybe others I'm forgetting.

Have peed beside (Gentle Giant drummer) John Weathers and Patton Oswalt. Not positive but I may have stood next to Robert Quine at a urinal once too.

-Scott
*edit - by "played" I mean someone was sitting in with someone at a show, not "gigged with."

Lance
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Hmm, I was a bit drunk, and walking down the narrow staircase at the Fillmore in SF, circa 1997, seeing Gov't Mule. I fell backwards...right into the arms of the late, great Allen Woody. He writed me, I thanked him, and that was that. Not quite as kewl as peeing next to Patton Oswalt, but....

mcknigs
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmm, I was a bit drunk, and walking down the narrow staircase at the Fillmore in SF, circa 1997, seeing Gov't Mule. I fell backwards...right into the arms of the late, great Allen Woody. He writed me, I thanked him, and that was that. Not quite as kewl as peeing next to Patton Oswalt, but....

Oh I think your story is far cooler. Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told, about being drunk and staggering around a fiddler's convention. Some guy sitting at a campfire sees him and tells him he looks like he could use a bowl of black bean soup. The guy sits him down and pours him a bowl of soup, which my friend eats, and enjoys, and really did need. A little later he's a bit more sober and hanging with his friends in front of the stage and the next act is announced. John Hartford walks onstage... "Hey, that's the guy that just gave me a bowl of soup!..."

I like that story. RIP Mr. Hartford.

-Scott

bcgretsch
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I ran into Eric Clapton at a park close to where we live back in 2005. He was with his wife and kids, and the kids were playing on the swing set with my daughter. He had on an old Zeppelin concert T-shirt, cargo shorts and running shoes, and he couldn't have been more normal. He ran around filming his kids playing, and I actually got to talk to him for about 20 minutes. He was so down to earth. I don't think he realized that I knew who he was at first, but then more people kept coming around with their kids, and I told him, "don't worry, you deserve your privacy too." He smiled and said, "thank you, I appreciate that very much." We talked some more (unfortunately not about guitars or music), but about kids. lol.

What an awesome experience!

BC

HeyMrTeleMan
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I feel I've had a charmed life in that way.

First, I was on Captain Jim's Popeye Club (ya'll remember that, doncha?), so I'm pretty famous in my own right. Not to mention that I currently appear on a billboard on I-85 South here in Atlanta. (And no, it's not "Have You Seen This Guy?" ;)) So with that fame as a back drop, consider these gems...

When I was 8, I met Roberto Clemente, Baseball Hall of Famer (I know, not a rock star, but huge in a rock star kind of way back then.)

When I was 14, I got to meet Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and Al Jackson, Jr. I got Booker's autograph. When I was 15, my friend played in a little club with Aretha Franklin when she came to my town in '67. I stood inches away from her. She wasn't that fat back then. When I was 17, I met Richie Havens and he set me up with my GF in the front row at his concert at Pittsburgh's vaunted (yet now upsettingly gone!) Syria Mosque. He spit on me, accidentally...:rotflmao

Much later on, I was calling on a client in Atlanta (1991) and ran into Mick Jagger in the lobby of a small, nondescript office building in Midtown Atlanta. I asked for his autograph, he obliged, then I gave him a million dollar idea and he was probably glad he signed the back of my bank deposit slip after all! The signature is framed, with the pen he signed it with, on the wall in my office.

This guy ain't no rock star either, but I sat next to Mike Ditka at the Atlanta airport. I first noticed his Super Bowl ring and looked up and I immediately recognized him, and struck up a conversation with him. I mentioned to him casually that I graduated high school with his replacement, Dave Wannstedt, which in retrospect, was not a good idea. I think the French call it a Faux Pas. I think it was a Real Pas, personally...

I stood next to Rob Schneider(!) in a buffet line in Hawaii. He was with a stunning blonde, and I wanted to go up to him and say "The Robinator- Makin' Mooovies -Screwing Starlets";) Again, no Rock Starness there!

Oh, and I almost forgot, I was on the back cover of Life Magazine's Special Edition of Woodstock Music and Art Fair. I have a NOS copy of it, too! Ya'll remember that, too, doncha?:rotflmao One of my health care professionals was backstage at Woodstock because her father was the caterer.

My son met Trey Anastasio, Brendan O'Brien, the B-52's and Scotty Good:AOK My wife had drinks with Alan Alda. I'm pictured in a magazine with comedian Shelley Berman. I performed in front of 300 people at the Punch Line, the South's premier comedy club. I got a "Sitting O". ;) Many many great comedians performed there before I got up on stage; I was humbled beyond words.

Princess "Freakin" Leia is my cousin!!

I'm way off topic with all the famous people. Sorry!

Stay focused man, stay focused... Must take ADD meds NOW!!!

:rotflmao

oxtone
02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Have met numerous famous musicians, and the really nice one's
that stand out are:
Joe Satriani
Steve Morse
Will Ray, Jerry Donahue and John Jorgenson
Phil Keaggy
Alan Holdsworth
Eric Johnson
Bill Kirtchen
Johnny Hiland
Andy Timmons
Peter Stroud
Rick Derringer
Jimmy Herring
Stanley Clark
Lenni White
Chad Wackerman
Dann Huff
Michael Landau
Gordon Kennedy
Tom Hemby
Blues Saraceno
Guthrie Govan
Hamilton Loomis
Abe Laborial, Sr., & Jr.
Lincoln Brewster
Tommy Walker
Michael Lee Firkins
Sonny Landreth
Steve Trovato
Phyllis Fender & George Fullerton!

Roadeye
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Met Gregg Allman on Daytona beach one time about 20 years ago. He came into this bar where a local band was playing - got up, sang one verse to One Way Out and fell face first into the monitors. Was out of his gourd. But he had a hot blonde on each arm. They dragged him outta there.

bilbal
02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I met Robben Ford, Jorma Koukanen, and Ruthie Foster after the show last Saturday night. They were doing a meet and greet so it wasn't personal at all but I very much enjoyed speaking briefly to each of them. I have wanted to meet Robben for about 15 years now, finally!!!!

rybass
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I used to work for a couple different venues and the college here.

I met 311 and one of the guys from Rancid as a runner for the warped tour.

Met Derrick and Butch Trucks (gave me his drum sticks) and hung in the same room with Greg Allman running for the Phil Lesh and Friends tour. Phil kicked me off his bus because I was "f#c&ing runner!". He wasn't a pleasant guy that day but their manager said he's normally very chill. I also picked up Butch's wife (very hot and super cool), Allman Bros photographer and his wife from the airport.

Met Adam whatever from the Counting Crows as I was setting up seating before one of their shows at UNCC. He was a d!ck.

Stood next to Fionna Apple at the same show as she pep talked her band but I didn't have the balls to say anything. To be so small she is very intimidating.

I was privledged enough to place a few water bottles on BB Kings LabSeries amp before a show and got to see Lucille up close.

hurleysurf
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I've met John Mayer (backstage before a concert on his 2004 tour), Willie Nelson (for about two seconds before he walked on stage, tooks a picture with him as the band was playing the first song of the set), B.B. King (on his tour bus, probably the kindest rock star on the planet), and Taylor Swift (saw her at the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport walking to her gate with her mother, very nice as well, this was about 3 months before she totally blew up and went platinum). I think that's it...

TNJ
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Christian Bale...

Met him on a movie set I was working lights on.

He's a bit different in person.

S.
j

hurleysurf
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
:rotflmao

...and I smoked with Michael Phelps...

Two-Octave
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Burke Shelly was buying guitar strings at a music store I went to way back in the day,1979 I think. The people there didn't know who he was (not surprising!) but I did. I grabbed one of those weird looking Gibson Flying V guitars with the boomerang pickups and played the intro to Panzer Division Destroyed. He looked at me smiled and purchased his strings. A Welsh musician in Ohio.

cswanston
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
The only rock stars I have me that made any lasting impression left pretty positive ones.

I met Carlos Santana at a very small gathering in Southern California. He and his wife were being honored for their ongoing charitable work. I'm not a huge Santana fan, but Carlos really impressed me. He was sincere and approachable. The thing that impressed me most was that Los Lobos played for an hour. Santana had brought Herbie Hanock with him, abnd he and Herbie joined Los Lobos onstage. The sound guys really screwed up, and half the mics weren't working. One of the Los Lobos guys was noticably bent out of shape and fioghting it all night long. Santana encountere3d the same technical problems, but he never stopped smiling. He rolled off of one mic and on to another, and doubled up with other players when that mic quit. Unless you know what was happening, you would have never known there was a problem. This was a very small gathering, and Santana could have gotten away with a lot less professionalism.

I me Pat Travers a couple of years ago at a similar very small gathering. He was easy enough to talk to and put up with more immaturity from one or two knuckleheads than I would have put with. I was impressed.

My buddy, a smoking hot slide player, saw Warren Haynes in a restaurant a couple of years ago and paid for Haynes' dinner. When Haynes found out his bill had been picked up, he came over to my buddy's table to say hello and thank you. He was very nice, and he was generous with information about tunings used in different songs. My buddy is a huge Allman Brothers follower, so the encounter was pretty much the high point of his year.

Though I did not meet Stevie Ray Vaughan, I did hear a talk he gave, and the aspect of his his personality that was most striking was his total and complete lack of grandiosity. This was not because he had cloaked grandiosity behind a veil of false humility. He simply had a quiet personality, was more than a little shy, and talked very little about guitar-playing. His personality was exactly the opposite of what one would expect after catching him onstage with the scarfs, hats, boots, feathers, tattoos, throwing his guitar, standing on it, and torturing it in countless other ways, with that damned Fender turned up to 11 all the while.

I know I have met others who were knockleheads, but they don't stand out in my mind. They're simply kids who can play a guitar. I don't give them much thought.

DC1
02-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I know I have met others who were knockleheads, but they don't stand out in my mind. They're simply kids who can play a guitar. I don't give them much thought.

Some serious insight going on there...

thanks

dc

cswanston
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Met Buddy Guy at the Saskatoon Jazz Fest a couple of years ago. He signed my 50th AnniversaryLimited ED. 50th Strat. Gonna be holding onto that one for a while.

I was backstage when Buddy played at the Monterey Blues Festival a few years ago. His guitars were all setting in a rack. I saw the polka dots on a strat and told the girl I was with, "Wow, Buddy Guy's guitars." She said something about checking them out, and I told her, "No. You don't just handle a guy's guitars. Especially if that guy is Buddy Guy." She walked up the the strat and held her finger a couple of inches away, saying, "I'm going to touch it." I was waiving my hands, but she just stood there like she had a gun to the head of a hostage. She kept inching her finger closer, and I kept waving my hands more frantically.

She touched it. I couldn't believe it. I crack up whenever I think about it.

dantedayjob
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
When the Georgia Satellites were touring for the album that had Keep Your Hands to Yourself, I met Dan Baird at one of their shows... They were opening for REO Speedwagon, I went with some of my college friends.. we were po' and bought "obstructed view" seats... i.e. behind the stage! During the intermission Baird was walking around behind the stage with a manager, my buddy and I and about 3 girls saw him and went down as far as we could get, called out to him to come talk... he looked at the girls, shook his head 'no' and pointed at his wedding ring (class right there), the girls motioned "NO" and mimed shaking hands... he came over and talked to us then... he dug that my buddy and I were both guitar players and we talked about their set, talked guitars etc for about 10 minutes or so, very nice guy...

A band I was in did our debut opening for Babes In Toyland. They were really cool, very complimentary and supportive... it was a popular local club in Kalamazoo, the club owner wanted us to go on at 9... when Kat found out she was PI$$ED! "f**k him! F**K HIM! NO ONE GOES ON BEFORE TEN! YOUGOONATNINEANDNOONEWILLBEHERETOHEARYOUF**KHIM!" That was really cool... scary, but cool... they were concerned that we, as the opener have a full house to play to... I think she scared the club owner too, he relented... LOL Irony of life, some 20 years later I get married and find out Kat's sister is one of my wife's best friends. Haven't met her yet because she lives in another state, but when I do I'm sure she'll get a laugh out of the story...

dantedayjob
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Here's a couple that weren't me, but I'll pass them along anyway...

My late wife went to a club in Nashville with some song writer friends, mid day... place was just about empty... There was a guy at another table wearing a black hat, my wife commented to her friends that the guy was rude, "he should take his hat off inside, didn't his mother teach him any better?" They laughed, said he was their friend, didn't she know who he was? "No"... took her to meet him and told him what she said... he laughed and took his hat off... a few months later she was watching the Grammys... it was Clint Black

Drummer buddy of mine was in Chicago in the early/mid 70's, after a work day he asked the hotel clerk where to hear some good rock and roll, he was told a local band was playing that night at a bar (don't remember if it was attached to the hotel or not) anyway, he went and listened and they were really good...lots of originals and cool Zeppelin covers, etc... when they took a break he went up and talked to them, they were really cool guys, one of them said he didn't sound like he was from Chicago, where was he from... "Alabama", he told them he was away on the road working for the first time and kind of homesick... they said they'd play something special for him in the next set, they announced the song as being dedicated to their new friend from Alabama... Sweet Home Alabama of course... Next break he thanked them and they told him they had a record coming out soon, to look out for it... when it hit the stores he picked up a copy... Cheap Trick

Smakutus
02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Drummer buddy of mine was in Chicago in the early/mid 70's, after a work day he asked the hotel clerk where to hear some good rock and roll, he was told a local band was playing that night at a bar (don't remember if it was attached to the hotel or not) anyway, he went and listened and they were really good...lots of originals and cool Zeppelin covers, etc... when they took a break he went up and talked to them, they were really cool guys, one of them said he didn't sound like he was from Chicago, where was he from... "Alabama", he told them he was away on the road working for the first time and kind of homesick... they said they'd play something special for him in the next set, they announced the song as being dedicated to their new friend from Alabama... Sweet Home Alabama of course... Next break he thanked them and they told him they had a record coming out soon, to look out for it... when it hit the stores he picked up a copy... Cheap Trick

Great one..

I saw Bruce Hornsby in Clearwater Florida at a Phillies spring training game against the Tigers. I nodded to him and said "How ya doing? and he said good and that was that. Nobody else seemed to know who he was.

Jeff

bassethound
02-19-2009, 10:38 PM
don't care for his band's music, but i went to high school with james valentine from the maroon 5. he was a really shy, humble and nice kid.

gkinsingapore
02-20-2009, 01:37 AM
EVH on the III tour, clearly coked out and being a tool. Michael Anthony on the III tour, holding everything together. Gary Cherone on the III tour....rabbit in the headlights.

Had a great discussion with Shaggy backstage about Jimi Hendrix once.....

zosozep7
02-20-2009, 04:58 AM
KWS, Noah Hunt and Chris Layton at the 10 Days Out tour. Very nice guys!

Joe Bonamassa several times. Another down to Earth person

Jim Mccarty many of times but I seem him often in my area

Buddy Guy during one of his shows walked up to my 10 year old Son and had him sing in his microphone. That was an awesome night Ill never forget! Either will my Son!

RSRD
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Had a beer with Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) back in the early 90's at Hammerjacks in Baltimore. They opened up for Extreme and he was relaxing before the show started. Didn't even know who he was until the show started. Real nice guy.
].

wow. thats hard to top. not the biggest fan but I think his vocal style was easily the most original ( and scary ) approaches for a long, long time. a true shame what happened.

RSRD
03-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Back in November 2001...played the first nine holes (golf) with three other 'walk-on' golferes just knowing that one of the other guys was named Alex. He was old, gray haired, had a pot belly, was a chain smoker. Had GREAT clubs, but struggled with his swing...like the rest of us (LOL)

At the turn, I asked what he did for a living...turns out he was Alex Lifeson!! (Yes....I did a double-take at that point)

I tried not to overreact....I mean, he's just out for a round of golf before heading to the studio for the evening shift (Geddy had the day shift that day). Of all things, he was playing at Don Valley GC....a municipal course. He said the course was located between his house and the studio, so it made sense...even though he was a member at one of the nicest courses (King Valley). It was an honour to spend time with him chatting about this and that....

Super nice guy...weird day.

Best story ever lol

RSRD
03-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Bruce Springsteen

I was working out in a Golds Gym in Arlington, VA in 1995 and as I was taking a break from some leg lifts a group of 3 people hovered around me. Turns out Bruce Springsteen had just come in and wanted to use my machine. I didnt even realize who it was at first. Because I am 6 foot 5 and he's fairly short it was a bit wierd. Im not a big fan so it wasnt a huge deal to me (unlike the workers at Golds who were just annoying as hell to him) We traded the machine for 3 sets before i moved on.

Met others but what some people on here consider a 'a rock star' is confusing to me. Most the people mentioned on here I either dont know or wouldnt recognize. A true rock star is someone EVERYONE knows. Like that picture of Bono. That was pretty sweet.

Wiz-ski
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
While working as an Audio Assist in a recording studio in upstate NY in the early 90's (Far N Away Studios in Goshen to be exact) - Geoff Gray, the owner of the studio asked me to tag along with him to the AES convention in NYC in 1993. Along with myself, he brought his long time friend LES PAUL. So basically I walked around the AES Convention that year with the inventor of it all - Electric Guitar, Multitrack Recording, Full Size Spare...okay, not everything. I know now what it was like to walk around Jerusalem with Jesus. Here's a couple of pics, please don't make fun of my ginormous Chewbacca mullet:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k388/theflskis/meandlespaul.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k388/theflskis/meandlespaul2.jpg

todd richman
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Great story and pics. I got to spend time chatting with him at Iridium in 2002 after watching both sets that night. He was a true gentleman with a super funny personality and it will always be one of the highlights meeting him-he truly is the inventor of so many things we utilize today to make music.

Wiz-ski
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
True dat Todd - That same year, my wife and I went and saw him when he was playing at Fat Tuesday's - We spoke after the show, and he kissed my wife on the cheek - I wish she never washed it, but alas that was 16 years ago :eek:

Tricks
05-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Jeff Beck - earlier this year. Does that count?

Twangmaster
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM
first chord I ever learned when I was 8 didn't sound too good, till the older kid down the block helped me put my fingers in the right place.... his name, Gary Richrath - REO. Then a teenager, or at least close too it. Just another one of the neighborhood kids.

Seakayak
05-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Got to hang out with some of the members of Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show after their concert in Moncton, NB, maybe around 1980. A great band with some great songs.

Bumped into Geddy Lee at McClear Place Studios in Toronto, didn't try to speak to him though. I was there studying at the Trebas Institute of Recording Arts, he was there producing the Boys Brigade. Also met Malcolm Burn (at that time a member of the Boys Brigade)
Geddy was preoccupied, of course, I don't think he was happy with a bunch of students trudging through the front entrance of McClear place, so we ended up using the back entrance.
Malcolm Burn and the other members of The Boys Brigade were very friendly and helpful.
Jeff Wolpert was teaching us engineering - he was an excellent teacher, really nice person.
That was a very cool place to be, very sad that it's closed, like so many other studios.

hawkeye17
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I was staying at a hotel outside of Chicago for work and went outside for a cigarette in the morning and ran into Tommy Shaw who was doing the same thing. We talked over 2 cigs and he was a really down to earth guy. We talked a bit about guitars and gear but mostly about the Cubs :)

stephen sawall
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I have met several "rock-stars" and celebrity's.
Some have became my friends.

Funny thing is I was never the one to make the friendship happen.
It was always them.

* velcro-fly *
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Round 1990 - 91 my buddies Mom called and asked if I would mind teaching her youngest son some basic stuff, wanted to set up formal lessons at the shop I was teaching at...I told her just to have him come over after school and I would take care of him. I had known him since he was in diapers, figured it would be fun. Kid was way more into learning the strummy chords and stuff, much to my dismay he did not pay attention the the Vai / Malmsteen / EJ stuff I was determined to get him playing:D He was there nearly everyday after school though...

Who would've ever guessed that Jack Johnson would become freaking HUGE...mellowest kid in the World and as gracious as they come. Helps that his older brothers and friends keep him in check. Jack's playing will never win any Guitar Player Readers Poll's, but he writes some catchy tunes.

hitchcockblonde
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I LOVE some of these stories... I think JOHNNY f'n CASH was the tops, but hitchhiking with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant? DANG! Sure I'm a fanboy. I'm human.

Yeah, the stories are cooler than the lists. If I think back...

Well, the guys from Iron Maiden were really nice. Steve Harris, the bass player, especially. After talking with him in a record store for a bit I ran into him at the cash register...he was buying PILES of stuff, and he leaned way over to shake my hand and tell me it was good to meet me. Ha!

Chris and sometimes Rich Robinson used to some see one of my bands pretty often. Chris is pretty quiet, shy. He gave our guitarist his Hawks tickets when he was out of town. The Smashing Pumpkins saw us at a New Year's Eve gig but I was too intimidated to say anything.

Pretty underground but we shared a rehearsal space with The Jody Grind, who were pretty legendary in the indie scene of the late 80s and early 90s. Kelly has gone on to be a cool underground "star." I said goodbye to Rob and Robert and Deacon Lunchbox the afternoon before they were killed in that accident. Really sad as they were so nice, humble, geeky, pleasant people.

Um, The Connells helped us set up our gear once and we all ate at Wataburger. Very nice, but harder drinking than I'd thought from their image!

I played bass with Collective Soul once. Ed is a really good guitarist, and was very modest, apologizing for his playing. Nice guy.

Best story isn't a rock star thing but I was changing into a costume for a theatrical thing backstage once and Andie McDowell was about three feet away. I look up, in my damn boxer shorts, and I swear she was checking me out! She is a very attractive woman, lovely voice, polite, low-key.

toddlee
05-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Met a few "celebs" over the years some rock stars,some actors, The biggest ever Was Muhamad Ali In the Orlando airport.

The nicest sweetest guy in the world who fell in love with my wife and kids and sat my Daughter in his lap and treally truly seemed to love kids.
Btw I got the feeling he could still kick my ass in about 2 seconds- HIs Hands Are like Cinder blocks.

The funniest- Coming out of Sadowsky (the music Building) in Times square 7 or 8 years back elevator opens - Pat Methany standing there. I said -hey Man how are you- He kinda rolls his eyes- My friend says _Wow Your a dick.

The coolest guy was Woody from "cheers" met him at Fat Tuesdays in n.y.c early 90's Hung out and talked music . asked how to get to cbgbs and was just a regular everyday guy.

My Fav. was getting to hang with and meet Hiram Bullock a few times. He was really laid back. I used to go see him often in the Clubs in N.y.c back in the 90's . Always cool. always funny. He got to know my face after a while and would always say hi. I know some of you dont know who he is but he was the funkiest, most soulful ,feeling player i have ever heard and when he played it really spoke to me. The guy could play a d chord and Id felt like I heard the voice of god. So sad that hes gone........

Bodhisattva
05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Billy Cox ran a pawn shop here in Nashville. My brother and i would go buy stuff just talk to him. He would answer anything you asked him, but didn't offer up very much. Really nice guy overall. About as down-to-earth as you'd imagine. Apparently Woodstock was one of his first gigs. Jimi was backstage drinking some Blue Nun to calm his nerves, then it came time to play and the rest is history.

I see some celebrities in Franklin and in Nashville but the only one who left me star-struck was Ashley Judd. I know not a rock star but DAMN!

mototpsychel
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Smoked a joint and drank wine with Warhol's factory crew at a Lou Reed Show @ Tanglewood. 1971-72 I think..

Gave directions to a Limo driver outside the Hartford Civic Center at a David Bowie concert. David Bowie and Marc Bolan were in the back seat.

Bullshitted with Leslie West while watching another act (can't remember who).

Had Back stage passes and met the J. Geils Band at Saratoga Performing arts - Peter Wolf was a bit of a dick.

Had drinks with Johnny Thunders at JB Scotts in Albany where he told me he got the name for his song "Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory" from an old Honeymooners episode.

Sat in front of the Pretty Things at Bowies 1972 Carnegie Hall Debut.

Shared champagne and a table with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts at Levi & The Rock Kats show in the village (Jerry Nolan was druming at the time).

Got really Drunk with Cheettah Chrome (Dead Boys) at Hullaballoo in upstate NY.

Drank with all of the Ramones.

Saw a bandaged & bleeding Iggy Pop at a New York Dolls / Mott The Hoople show at the Felt Forum - I thought I was seeing things. Was later confirmed in Legs McNeil's book Please Kill Me.

Met George Thorogood at an in store appearance in a record store where I was working at the time.

Most impressive - Got to touch James Bonds Aston Martin at Worlds Fair in Queens NY in 1965.

kwaves99
06-09-2009, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=toddlee;6031571]Met a few "celebs" over the years some rock stars,some actors, The biggest ever Was Muhamad Ali In the Orlando airport.

The funniest- Coming out of Sadowsky (the music Building) in Times square 7 or 8 years back elevator opens - Pat Methany standing there. I said -hey Man how are you- He kinda rolls his eyes- My friend says _Wow Your a dick.

No offense.....but I think your friend is a dick. Pat is one of the nicest most gracious people I've ever met. I don't know if he does it these days but for years if you waited after a show he would come out and do a meet and greet with the fans. I met him after a show at Waterloo Village in NJ about 9 years ago and he couldn't have been nicer.

CharAznable
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I played a couple games of pool with Peter Hammill (Van der Graaf Generator). I thought I might also learn from him the meaning of the universe, but nah.

Going to see VDGG next week in NEARFest and then in DC... I'm kind of hoping to have the chance to talk to him and have him tell me the meaning of the universe...

ultrevex
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
In December 1987, my band played our first ever show in our new home of Atlanta. U2 was at the (then) Omni that night on the Joshua Tree tour. I see 2 very short guys with Amish hats in the crowd. We wound up hanging with Edge and Bono in their vip section, drinking tequila, until the club closed. Edge asked me about my amp (blackface bandmaster) and said he thought he might pick one up.(!) Bono gave our singer the contact info for his label, Mother Records. The singer promptly lost the note. We had a very rare snow storm that night and the streets were iced solid at 4:00 AM. I'll never forget sliding down the sidewalk on my telecaster case, giddy and drunk as hell, when a huge, black limo pulling up beside me. The rear passenger window rolled down and both Bono and Edge leaned out, yelling and waving at me.

Also around 1987 or early 1988, I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Fishbone at the now defunct Metroplex. The folks I rode with were going to a party somewhere from the show and Hillel Slovak wound up jumping in the backseat with me. He was incoherent and kept screaming to turn the radio up.

In 1990, or so, my band performed with and then backed the Indigo Girls at the Fox Theatre. I believe this was the first time they ever performed with an electric band. They're nice people but I don't care for their music.

Spent an 8 week tour in the mid 90's with Dave Matthews band, got to know the entire band fairly well. Dave and I had a huge laugh when he busted in on me in the one closed stall in a bathroom at some venue..... he said 'Shit, one closed door, 5 open and which one do I pick???' Again, GREAT people but I don't much dig the music.

Spent the better part of 5 months touring with Matthew Sweet in the early 90's, during the peak of his Girlfriend and Altered Beast success. Got to see Richard Lloyd play every night and spent quite a bit of time talking with him. He's most certainly an extraterrestrial.

Smoked a joint with Ziggy Marley, Jeff Tweedy, Jay Bennett and Mark Sandman( Morphine) while touring with that goofy HORDE festival around 1996.

During the Matthew Sweet tour, the Jayhawks joined us for about 3 weeks. I got to watch their set nightly and got to know Gary and his wife fairly well. Mark Olson was a little more detached, plus his wife (Victoria Williams) was with him and they kept to themselves more. I love this band. About me I would imagine they'd say 'nice person but didnt much care for his music'

aftguitar94
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom from Blue oyster Cult
Peter Buck from REM
Billy Squier
Robert Randolph
Corky Laing and Richie Scarlet from Mountain (Leslie West talked to me while he was on stage but I didn't get to meet him, unfortunately)
All the members of Hootie and the Blowfish a couple times
Edwin McCain
Hamish Stuart from the Average White Band
Greg Bissonette
Ian MacLagan from the Faces
John Popper, Brendan and Tad from Blues Traveler
Everyone from Toad the Wet Sprocket
Some members of the Gin Blossoms
Vicki Peterson from the Bangles
and more that I can't think of at the moment.

Most of them aren't Rock stars, but all musicians.

enocaster
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Cool stories. What band(s) were you in on these tours, ultravex?

khromagi
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Uh, Joe Pass on the streets of Boston when going to Berklee. My friend had tickets to see him and had lost the tickets. He told Joe and was told to come on by and Joe would get him in, after "You aint sh--'in me kid?" of course. For Berklee, Joe was a rock star.

DC1
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Uh, Joe Pass on the streets of Boston when going to Berklee. My friend had tickets to see him and had lost the tickets. He told Joe and was told to come on by and Joe would get him in, after "You aint sh--'in me kid?" of course. For Berklee, Joe was a rock star.

Joe's a rock star to anyone who has heard him.

dc

big mike
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Let's see:

Met:
Neal Schon - My first NAMM show right after the Trial By Fire album came out. Was very cool to me, as I asked him to sign his 'Late Night' album. Chatted a bit about gear and recording technique on that album.

Steve Lukather: 3 times at Namm. First time, very cool. Second time, stand off ish, third time ....didn't catch him in a good moment, we'll leave it at that.

Albert Lee, Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse: All at a namm appearance. All 3 very nice guys. Brief.

Fred Gretsch and Ted McCarty: Two class gentlemen in the biz.

Paul Reed Smith Several times, very cool.

Derek St. Holmes -Several PRS Shows, always up to chat and is quite friendly and really a sweet guy.

David Grissom: After I was done squealing like a schoolgirl, he was most gracious.

Gene Simmons: Namm show deal...um...not the most friendly guy.

Mona and Vic Johnson from Hagar's band: Both very VERY cool people, hung and chatted with vic for awhile at a dinner at PRS Show. (pre show) talked about amps, etc. Really a sweet guy and an awesome player.

Ross Valory: Quick hello while he was picking up some endorsement gear from my store. Nice guy, but breif.

Joe Bonamassa: Got to hang and chat for a couple hours after a show, with Jim Wagner and fam. Awesome guy. Down to earth and very open.

Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey: My Ampeg rep at the time brought them bye on the way to another clinic, as he knew I was a huge Wooten fan. Both very cool people, hung and chatted about most everything for an hour or two.

Worked on Paul from Saxon's Lag guitar once...he hung out while I was fixing it. Talked for a few. Nice guy.

Think that's it....I'm more impressed with the nice guys now than their 'stature'. I also was at an airport with Steve Bailey after Indy Namm, and he was just cool to chat a bit.

Maybe not 'rock star' status a lot of these, but some really cool folks that I respect.

Oh and I met Dweezil Zappa. Semi-embarassing story....
The year the Wolfgang came out, they had some on the back wall of the peavey booth. I gravitated right to a yellow one...pulled it off and was dinking on it, really unimpressed. Fret sprout, not set up, obviously rushed. I start to put it back and hear behind me... 'How is it?' Without turning around I say, man it's a POS...this thing SUCKS. Turn and it's Dweezil....uh...uh...uh.....LOL

He was cool, pulled the same one down, looked at me and just sort of locked eyes, I think we had the moment of agreement. :facepalm

ultrevex
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Cool stories. What band(s) were you in on these tours, ultravex?

I had a band called hollyfaith from 87-93 which got signed to Epic, did one album and video and then disbanded. For the DMB stuff, I was guitar teching for my friend, David Ryan Harris, when he played with a girl called Dionne Farris. David now plays in John Mayer's band.

dr.slide
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
played pinball with prince and morris day while i was manager of a hotel...i had no idea that's who they were till 6 of the hotel maids wanted to get their pictures taken with them.....go figure! i'm friends with bun e. carlos, we get together for bumper pool every week he is home, friend of jon brant (cheap trick, mickie free band).... met kiss without makeup, before they were without makeup...wheelchaired gordon lightfoot to his hotel room (he was having a little difficulty walking that day), grace slick, george bush sr., ronald reagan, tom jones(he's shorter than i am), dale evans (she was shorter than tom jones), wheelchaired bob newhart to his hotel room( he was having the same kind of day as gordon lightfoot).....the doc

gennation
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Really too many to count, plus many many more that weren't 'rock' stars but just stars.

Rock stars...

met up with Todd Rudgren 3 times in one week during a graphs trade show. Got to know him enough that we saw each other a bar and he invited myself and my friend over with his party for drinks.

was on a plane with the Gap Band and got double booked in the same seat as the sax player. He was trying to get me to move and the rest of the band starting dogging him to "leave the guy alone and go find another seat" :)

Met Aerosmith in the lobby of The Paramount hotel in NYC when they were in for a SNL show. As well as Dave Stewart another time I was staying there.

Met the member of Asia. Sat through the sound check and hung out all day.

Worked as a roadie for The Tubes.

Man, I'm at a loss to think of the others but they will come and I'll add them.

FenderBigot
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't know if these qualify as "rock stars" but here goes:

Just met Todd Park Mohr two days ago after the annual Big Head Todd & the Monsters' Red Rocks show. He was at breakfast with his dad at our hotel and I walked up to him said "great show last night" and shook his hand. He was very appreciative and said thank you to me for going to the show.

I hung out with Darius Rucker for a LONG time at a Tampa Bay Bucs Monday night game. He sang the national anthem and my wife did the sign language interpreting. He's a SUPER cool guy, very funny and very down to earth. He made fun of Michael Strahan after he walked up and said "hey Hootie!" You'd be surprised at how many "pop stars" get this gig and act like idiots and divas at this national anthem gig. Also met the guys from Rascal Flatts at a Bucs game before they went platinum with any of the albums. Are they rock stars???

I met Greg Rollie on an airplane from Denver to Tampa... he was a bit of diva and didn't want to chat much. Funny thing, his star faded a ton since he left Journey and Santana.

I walked behind one of either Brooks or Dunn at the Nashville airport. He was waving and signing autographs with a big smile on his face... Don't know if this one counts or not???

gennation
06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah how can I forget...

sat in the friends and family section with free tickets and backstage passes to a Dave Matthews/Bela Fleck concert at Madison Square Garden. While waiting to meet them the singer from 7 Mary 3 bummed a smoke from me and one of the MTV VJ's bummed my lighter.

Hung out at a friends picnic with the Ryan Shaw Band, they were opening from Van Halen and my son jammed with Ryan's band all day and then they got him and his buddy free backstage passes to the VH the next night. I didn't get the free tix but did get to jam with those guys a bit too.

I think of more...

If you want 'stars' in general, I got some doozy stories too.

DC1
06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
If you want 'stars' in general, I got some doozy stories too.

Yeah! stories are the best.

I had lunch with Al Michaels w/o recognizing him till a week later...

He was really nice. Hope he didn't mind that I just treated him like one of the guys...

dc

JetBlue
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I met Neil Young at a popular motorcycle hang-out in the Santa Cruz mountains, around 1996. He had ridden in and was waiting to meet some friends there. I was dumbfounded when it fully dawned on me who I'd just met, but he very graciously took up the conversation like I was an old friend. Very nice guy.

Ran into Brian Setzer in the SF airport at 1am, must have been about 1994. I did the fan-boy thing and asked for his autograph but didn't pester him further. Hey, he was wearing a red and black plaid suit so I figure he was fair game!

tiptone
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
In college the band I was playing in opened for Ian Moore on my birthday. Hung with the band for most of the day and then with Ian and the band for several hours after the show. I got him to sign my guitar and we all hung in the office of the bar, Ian spent probably two hours online answering questions fans had posted to his website.

I met Chris Layton in Waterloo Music one afternoon the day after having watched him play with The Mighty Zor at Antones. He was very nice and wouldn't let me say thank you for playing without thanking me for coming out and watching.

gennation
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I took a walk with Marie Osmond from a building backstage to her limousine. It was like a childhood dream come true.

I rode in the towncar to pick up Dave Allen Coe before a show. It took us about 20 minutes to get him to answer his hotel room door. Then he opened it wearing a robe his cowboy boots and cowboy hat. When we finally got him in the car we were doing some small talk with him and he's "ya know boys, I'm not much of a question and answer kind of guy" :) At that point we didn't say anything the rest of the way to the hall.

I spent a night on the town in Nashville with Jeff Cook from Alabama. Then later that week spent the afternoon at his office and studio. He was a friend of a friend we were on vacation with. He had two studio's or three if I recall right, and in his office he had guitars hanging high on the wall from John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Chet Atkins, and a bunch of other players I can't remember. And no, I didn't get to play any of them :(

I had a couple of conversations with Les Paul over the years. Found out he played all the 1500 Les Paul KM guitars that came off the line, which I own one of them...so the means Les played my guitar!!!! SUPER COOL!

When I was studying at Interlochen Music School MANY years ago...early 70's, Benny Goodman was doing a show and seminars and he came into the cafeteria and pretty much sat down at everyone's table one by one and talked to us all individually or in small groups. Doc Severnson did the same things by after a soundcheck we got to sit through.

Met the Dave Brubeck Quartet...during the Classic Quartet Reunion in the mid-70's...yep, Dave, Joe, Paul, and Eugene. I wish I still had those autographs.

I took a drum lesson from Ed Shaunnessey in the mid-70's and met Buddy Rich too. My drum teacher was pretty famous and was great friends with both of them. He also introduced me to Duke Tomato back then too!!!

Hmmm, I'll think of more...

Oh yeah, Lisa Kudrow held a door open for me at a NYC deli one time. All I could get out was 'thank you'.

gennation
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh man, how could I forget...TIne Turner came and sang with us on stage one night in Texas.

And I opened for Black Oak Arkansas in Little Rock Arkansas on Halloween night...I went in their dressing room before the show to let them know I was a big fan when I was a kid...I ended up having shots with Jim Dandy and Hacksaw Reynolds!!!! Later that night we found out our bass player was dorkin' Jim Dandy Jr's fiance...LOL...

Man, I was just thinking of another one but forgot it. I'll be back :)

-WEM-
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Jammed with 'Slash' one night when they were OZ...actually it was the whole band except for the lead singer 'Axel'? (funny name ;maybe his parents owned a wrecking business!?).
The band I was in at the time was booked to play at their private party ,poolside at a 5 star resort...I took an extra amp & gtr just in case. We played 2 songs and Slash comes up on to the bandstand and politely asks me if they could 'jam' with us. We played some 'stones & santana toones, blues etc ...Slash was soft spoken and seemed like a nice chap. The best muso ,I thought,was one of the 'roadies' who sang,played piano and good 'blues' harp. I've got a pic somewhere of slash playing one of my gtr's.. took a lot of photo's that night...maybe my students ended up with 'em.
Also met Stevie Wonder ( & shook his hand) and jammed with his band in Rockhampton in the '90's after their concert was washed out by a severe thunderstorm.Guess he qualifies as a star!? Later on, in the closed off private bar of the club, I stood next to the 'booth' that Stevie & the backing singers were sitting in and listened to them singing Gospel songs...man...something else!
Cheers.

todd richman
07-10-2009, 07:24 AM
WEM-both of those encounters are very cool.

SouthernShred
07-10-2009, 08:52 AM
maybe not rock stars, but here are my stories...

in the late 90's, a friend of mine was the publicist/personal assistant for Tommy Shannon...she knew I was a web designer and IT guy and asked if I could help with some websites and email marketing stuff...I ended up doing IT work for Tommy Shannon & Chris Layton, Susan Tedeschi, Jonny Lang, GB Leighton, etc...I did a lot of other things for Tommy & Chris and became friends with them...we talked on the phone a few times a week and Tommy and I had some amazing, deep conversations...their "Been a Long Time" album was coming out then and I went to several tour dates and hung out with them pre and post show...during all of that, I met Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Reese Wynans, Greg V (talked guitars...he told my wife "every guitarist needs a good Tele, a good strat and a good LP...it's just necessary" which really helped me out in my quest to get an LP), Noah Hunt, Malford Milligan (one of the funniest, good natured people I've met) and a bunch of others I don't remember.

I met and hung out with Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai backstage on the G3 2003 tour...

talked with Will Ray about G&L guitars for a while...super nice guy...

I worked as a player/demonstrator at the Summer 2003 Nashville NAMM show and our booth was next to the Zion guitars booth and caddy-corner from Cornford amps...Kerry Livgren was demonstrating for Zion and I joked around with him for 3 days about stealing Skunk Baxter's look with the beret and handlebar mustache...then Skunk got on the elevator with me and my wife at the hotel, lol...the funniest part of that weekend was showing up to work as a demonstrator and this crazy, unabomber looking guy sitting on the floor at the Cornford booth with a CD of backing tracks, a guitar and just playing the most amazing music for 3 days...I wanted to crawl in my guitar case and hide...I'm a good player, but this guy was transcendental...Guthrie Govan...thankfully, he was a super guy...I should have bought him a beer and picked his brain after the show.

Brian Stoltz from the funky Meters, Neville Brothers, PBS, etc is a friend of mine...super cool guy

Scott Holt, former Buddy Guy guitarist and current solo artist, is a great friend of mine...we jam whenever we're both in the same neighborhood so to speak...always kicks my tail...

razorbladeSD
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I was 19 years old and working as an AE/gofer at a recording studio in San Diego.
The Studio was on the second floor of a building that had been a dance hall for big bands back in the forties, and they had turned the big room into a rehearsal space...still had the big stage, and all the rigging, and the old wooden floors, with 25 foot ceilings.

Anyway, I got called into the managers office one day, and was informed that I was going to be babysitting the monitor mix for a couple of weeks because a band was going to come in and rehearse for a live album they were going to cut at the Roxy that month. I figured it was going too be either Jimmy Buffet Or Emmylou Harris, because they were clients of Silverfish Audio (who were affiliated with the studio) at the time, and had used the space before. But the manager said he didn't know who it was, he had never heard of the guy before, but they would be there in a little bit, and to grab lunch early.

When I got back from lunch I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and as I glanced out of the corner of my eye, I see Mick Ronson standing at the urinal.
I was speechless. I had been a total glamrock kid, and Mick was my first guitar hero.

So, it turns out that I was working for Mick and Ian Hunter for three weeks rehearsing for "Welcome to the Club". I actually didn't spend to much time running the monitors. Mostly I was tasked with rolling joints and being the bartender and food fetcher.
But I got to sit there and watch Mick play "All The Young Dudes" from about five feet away. Mick was a really sweet guy, and as down to earth as could be. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Ian. He had serious Rock Staritis...and the shades never came off.

Still the coolest gig I ever had. I even got invited up for the show (my first backstage pass) and got to hang out in the Record Plant remote truck. I still have the Roxy ashtray I stole that night...I keep my pics in it.

ssites
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
So was I lol. Small world.

I was at that show. :BEER

...Alice in Chains at Hammerjacks in Baltimore

glockaxis
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Met Steve Lukather and Steve Morse (in addition to some Hollywood studio bass players) and actually had dinner at Morse's table. Both were phenomenally gracious and humble and treated me like a good friend. No "Joe rock star" attitude with these gentlemen.

DC1
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Met Steve Lukather and Steve Morse (in addition to some Hollywood studio bass players) and actually had dinner at Morse's table. Both were phenomenally gracious and humble and treated me like a good friend. No "Joe rock star" attitude with these gentlemen.

Steve is a prince.

dc

sinner
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Had drinks at the local bar with Keith Emerson, nice fellow, and a local around these parts.

Met Little Richard about 13 years ago backstage at a TV talk show. Came in guided by his body guard helpers, literally helping him walk, real slow like there was something wrong. He sat backstage like in a coma, then went on TV and instant transformation! He jumped, he yelled, he screamed. Then after, it was like the battery died, back to the coma.

JoeB63
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I've "met" (5 seconds of "Hi, nice to meet you") several of the guitarists that have already been mentioned by others, especially the Austin guys, like EJ and Grissom. But nothing tops this one:

In 1988 I danced with Charo. I think I win.

big mike
07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
I've "met" (5 seconds of "Hi, nice to meet you") several of the guitarists that have already been mentioned by others, especially the Austin guys, like EJ and Grissom. But nothing tops this one:

In 1988 I danced with Charo. I think I win.

We are not worthy.

She's STILL freakin hawt.

DANOCASTER
07-20-2009, 05:21 PM
When I lived in Carmel, Ca - I paid my way thru private college working at several 5 star hotels ( Pebble Beach / Highlands Inn / and Quail Lodge )

I was Madonna / Sean Penn's contact person their whole honeymoon.

I filled Mick Fleetwood's spa bath w/ Dom Perignon.

I chased down George Thorogood after he skipped out on a very expensive dinner

I parked Liberace's famous Rolls ( actually - when I fetched it - he asked "how many valets are working tonite ?". I said "four" and he took out two $100 bills and tore them in half and said "Give $50 to each of the boys" )

I checked in and served room service to everybody from Alan Parsons to Mrs Roper ( from Threes Company ) - and everybody in between. There was somebody famous coming in almost every day. Pretty fun - and I made a LOT of money. I came home w/ good sized bills stuffed in every pocket of my uniform !!

mothyham
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I met Mick Jones from the Clash when he was touring with Big Audio Dynamite. I think I was like 17 at the time. A relative of mine was doing the sound for the tour - I was actually in the green room with him. Pretty cool.

A friend of mine and I got to hang out with Mick Jones and Tony James on their brief tour of the US as Carbon Silicon last year. Nice people.

jcbaxe
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Back in the 80's, I was in a smallish club in East Lansing, Michigan to see a Ronnie Montrose show. Directly in front of us was a bunch of tables with reserved signs on them. Just before show time, in walks Ted Nugent with his posse. The show starts, Ronnie plays his first set, then the crowd starts chanting Ted, Ted. Ronnie doesn't bite, no invite for Ted to jam. Comes a break between sets and I hit the bathroom and who should be next to me but Uncle Ted. I say Hi, and "Hey Ted, how about some Hibernation?" Ted looks at me and fires back "Ronnie can go F%@^in' Hibernate." It was classic Ted.

Shiny_Beast
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I was a waiter in the 80s at Mothers Danforth and Danforth in TO. Served Kim Mitchell and family. He's really tall with a deepish voice.

Nergalled
07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Met several through the years at Guitar Shows and NAMM. Billy Gibbons was the only one that made me stutter and starstruck. Nice guy too.

DC1
07-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Met several through the years at Guitar Shows and NAMM. Billy Gibbons was the only one that made me stutter and starstruck. Nice guy too.

I walked into the Gibson booth and nearly tripped over Tal Farlow...

hummada hummada....

Nice guy too, but I respect him more than all the rockstars put together and I was speechless.

Met Leo Fender too and got an autograph.

I was pretty impressed.

dc

big mike
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Dunno if I mentioned it, but Meeting Ted McCarty was a highlight...such a nice warm guy...and we all owe so much to him.

Analog Delay
07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Dunno if I mentioned it, but Meeting Ted McCarty was a highlight...

I don't know what I would have complimeted him about first:

http://www.geocities.com/mrjohntesh/happy.jpg

His role on Happy Days, Married With Children or his spectacular performance in Revenge Of The Nerds.

;)

big mike
07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
:facepalm

Someone is going to think you're serious.

Papajuice
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Was dead tired from a fight from New Zealand had just cleared custom around 6 in the morning and stopped in a news stand to get something. Being half out of it when leaving did not pay any attention and literally ran in to Alex Van Halen this was around 2001 and by the way he is a big dude.

Cobra
07-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Played pool with Prince...
Rode out a snowstorm with Elvin Bishop.
My wife bugged Yngvie for an autograph & a picture at a mexican restaurant.
That is all.

MurrayL
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I urinated next to Pinetop Perkins, does that count?

esoteric pete
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
me and "thuglife" hung out with billy sheehan today...

buddyboy
07-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I was 19 years old and working as an AE/gofer at a recording studio in San Diego.
The Studio was on the second floor of a building that had been a dance hall for big bands back in the forties, and they had turned the big room into a rehearsal space...still had the big stage, and all the rigging, and the old wooden floors, with 25 foot ceilings.

Anyway, I got called into the managers office one day, and was informed that I was going to be babysitting the monitor mix for a couple of weeks because a band was going to come in and rehearse for a live album they were going to cut at the Roxy that month. I figured it was going too be either Jimmy Buffet Or Emmylou Harris, because they were clients of Silverfish Audio (who were affiliated with the studio) at the time, and had used the space before. But the manager said he didn't know who it was, he had never heard of the guy before, but they would be there in a little bit, and to grab lunch early.

When I got back from lunch I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and as I glanced out of the corner of my eye, I see Mick Ronson standing at the urinal.
I was speechless. I had been a total glamrock kid, and Mick was my first guitar hero.

So, it turns out that I was working for Mick and Ian Hunter for three weeks rehearsing for "Welcome to the Club". I actually didn't spend to much time running the monitors. Mostly I was tasked with rolling joints and being the bartender and food fetcher.
But I got to sit there and watch Mick play "All The Young Dudes" from about five feet away. Mick was a really sweet guy, and as down to earth as could be. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Ian. He had serious Rock Staritis...and the shades never came off.

Still the coolest gig I ever had. I even got invited up for the show (my first backstage pass) and got to hang out in the Record Plant remote truck. I still have the Roxy ashtray I stole that night...I keep my pics in it.

cool story. i am a big fan of Ronno.

JCM 800
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Played pool with Prince...
Rode out a snowstorm with Elvin Bishop.
My wife bugged Yngvie for an autograph & a picture at a mexican restaurant.
That is all.

Very cool. Where did you play with Prince?

ronmail65
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn... He was playing at my college one Saturday night in 1986. At the time, I didn't know a thing about him and was not at all interested (I was a metal head). While leaving the campus sports center from playing racquetball on Saturday afternoon, I heard guitar playing coming from the auditorium so I walked in and sat down. He was right in front of me playing by himself on stage while chairs were being set up and other gear was being hauled in. The PA was set up and the stage was littered with Strats, but no drums or other gear had been set up yet. I sat and listened for a few minutes, then left. Over the years I've come to appreciate the immense talent and regret not saying hello or listening more.

Drown
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Met Phil Collins in a ski lodge in Gstaad (swiss ski resort) in 1995. I was 16 and he didnīt want to give me an autograph in front of the other people so later that afternoon I followed him down to the toilet and got my autograph! He was there with two women! Next day I saw him again driving around in a Range Rover.

84Bravo
07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I met Mrs Brad Paisley. Does that count?

bigeric
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Shot dice and drank with Billy Gibbons in Vegas.
Had dinner with Bon Jovi in Vegas.
Hung out with Keith Richards in the Bronx!!
Played with Clarence Clemmons of the E Street Band.
Played with Johnnie Johnson.
Played with Henry Gross.
Played with Lester Chambers.
Played with Harvey Brooks.
Met my hero Doug Sahm.
Met Delbert Mclinton.
Met Albert King.
Worked for Big ***** from the Sopranos.
Played with Cornell Dupree.
Played with Gil Parris......
Played with most of the Uptown Horns, Drifters, Coasters, Platters, Marvelettes, Randy and the Rainbows, The Teenagers, Lee Andrews and the Hearts, Dr. Lonnie Smith,The Shirelles, The Vivino Bros Band, John Hall from Orleans, Oh yeah and I need a gig Saturday!

Scooter
07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
I met Todd Rundgren backstage at a show. Hell of a nice guy. Worked as a locally hired stage hand for Ozzy once, could have met him but I wasn't into his music. I did meet the drummer from Def Leppard at that same show (this was before his accident).

Hung out with Regis Philbin in an airport. Well okay, we sat a couple seats apart but didn't really talk. He's a rock star to some people ;>)

Scooter
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
[quote=cottoneyedjoe;5066755]Let's see...

Johnny and June Carter Cash: While not a rockstar per se, I had the chance to spend thirty minutes with him and June waiting for a plane in Nashville. We talked about his life for most of the time. He was very polite. June bought me candy (just like my grandmother would have...) He seemed more interested in me. Which seemed funny. There are a lot of things that we talked about that have shaped my personal life since that meeting. Johnny knew how to put things in perspective and his conversation with me made me a better man.

Okay. You win. ;)

Robert1950
07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I urinated next to Pinetop Perkins, does that count?

That has got to be in the top five!

Robert1950
07-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I parked Liberace's famous Rolls ( actually - when I fetched it - he asked "how many valets are working tonite ?". I said "four" and he took out two $100 bills and tore them in half and said "Give $50 to each of the boys" )

LOL! This is the best anecdote here.

vrmd
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I went to Chicago a couple months ago. Stopped by Legends to catch some blues with my wife and brother-in-law. Buddy was hanging out at his bar talking to the ladies. He sang a song and was minutes away from heading home, when I asked him to sign a shirt I bought for my 4-year-old son. He told me a couple stories and we shared a drink. Super cool dude man.... I told him how I sold my gear in college to do what broke students do with cash while attending a party university. But, I eventually found my way back to playing and have been way more serious about it. I asked this living legend for some advice. He asked me, "Do you have a girl?" I replied that I am happily married. His response: "When you're playing, tell her to get the f--- outta the way." Then, he gave me a wink and a smile.

A couple weeks later, Buddy came to play a show in my hometown and set this place on fire. :bow

This Guy is my hero.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv147/vrmd75/IMG_0074.jpg

Rotten
07-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Had dinner with Bon Jovi in Vegas.
Hung out with Keith Richards in the Bronx!!
Played with Clarence Clemmons of the E Street Band.
Played with Johnnie Johnson.
Played with Henry Gross.
Played with Lester Chambers.
Played with Harvey Brooks.
Met my hero Doug Sahm.
Met Delbert Mclinton.
Met Albert King.
Worked for Big ***** from the Sopranos.
Played with Cornell Dupree.
Played with Gil Parris......
Played with most of the Uptown Horns, Drifters, Coasters, Platters, Marvelettes, Randy and the Rainbows, The Teenagers, Lee Andrews and the Hearts, Dr. Lonnie Smith,The Shirelles, The Vivino Bros Band, John Hall from Orleans, Oh yeah and I need a gig Saturday!

Doug Sahm -- one of my heroes too!

Polynitro
07-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Joe Strummer
Billy Zoom
Jello Biafra

PremiumPlus
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Met Huey Thomasson (The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd) and had some nice emails with Henry Gross. Both great guys.

nickthenail
08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Had a beer with Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) back in the early 90's at Hammerjacks in Baltimore. They opened up for Extreme and he was relaxing before the show started. Didn't even know who he was until the show started. Real nice guy.

I was at the same show! Did that rule or what??? $1.00 admission to boot!

Blue Light
08-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Well, heck. How can anyone top that?

Unless you made time with some slinky lady of the stage.
Nobody here's bragging.
I'm keeping my mouf shut.

original07
08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I met the Stones in New Orleans at the airport a few years back minus Bill. In April of 08 I met and talked to Eddie Van Halen while boarding a flight from Dallas to Houston he was very nice we talked guitars for about ten minutes when I asked him about acoustic guitars he told me that in his opinion the best acoustic guitars were made by Collings in Austin, Texas. He owned a few according to him I also saw but did not get a chance to talk to Alex Van Halen and Eddie's son Wolfgang. No David Lee Roth.

TrickinSid
08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Met Warren Demartini of RATT at a Hilton hotel bar in Texas.
It was about 6 and me and a couple of my brothers were having a drink before going to see Cheap Trick / Poison.
He was drinking a cup of tea I think.
Got his autograph on a napkin...shook his hand.
Real nice....shy guy. Great guitarist.

Texas_Blues
08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn... He was playing at my college one Saturday night in 1986. At the time, I didn't know a thing about him and was not at all interested (I was a metal head). While leaving the campus sports center from playing racquetball on Saturday afternoon, I heard guitar playing coming from the auditorium so I walked in and sat down. He was right in front of me playing by himself on stage while chairs were being set up and other gear was being hauled in. The PA was set up and the stage was littered with Strats, but no drums or other gear had been set up yet. I sat and listened for a few minutes, then left. Over the years I've come to appreciate the immense talent and regret not saying hello or listening more.
Its Vaughan not Vaughn!, I met Pinetop Perkins at Nuno's in Austin, I bought an album from him and he signed it.

mudster
08-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I met Billy Gibbons walking around at a trade show. He was a real gentleman and made me feel like he had nothing better to do that day than to speak with a fan.
I met Allan Holdsworth outside a club, also a very nice guy but not really a rockstar.
I've met several great bluesman, the nicest perhaps being Albert Collins whom I met in the rain behind a greasy club. He is a hoot. I also met Hubert Sumlin who is a crackup and all-around nice guy. A friend was promoting the concert and I was just hanging around when he happened by. I mean, not everyone is going to recognize Hubert. He still likes to party in his 80's too!
I've met a few others when opening for them or something, but if they aren't nice to talk to, why mention them?
Another real cool one was I was walking down the street near the Orpheum in Memphis and I met Luther Allison going the other way. He was very warm and a nice guy.
The biggest "Rock Star" I met was Joe Walsh. We were recording at Kiva studios in Memphis and Albert King died (over Christmas 92/3?) and Joe, who is part owner of the studio, came in town for the funeral so he dropped in the studio. He checked out my guitars, listened in a bit, umm, indulged a bit w/ the guys, then split. He was pretty drunk I think, but hey, his friend had died and you can't blame him. He is sort of a strange dude and the Eagles really clean him up. In real life, he looks like someone you would meet fishing at the state lake.

Droptop
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
The nicest Rockstars I've met have been Norah Jones, BB King and Mark Tremonti. Mark was like a drinking buddy, very easy to get along with.

dorfmeister
08-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Met Rick Nielsen in 1981 after a show in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. We went back to where they were loading the tour bus and he was sitting around talking and signing some autographs.

TDJMB
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Stephen Stills. Snuck backstage after a concert. I've got a dorky picture to prove it. While waiting for S to come out, watched Flo & Eddie handing out hotel room keys to young things.

pennylink
08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Met through friends: Pete Townshend, Ringo Starr, Nils Lofgren, David Gilmour, Martin Chambers (Pretenders), Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience), Michael Shrieve (Santana)

Ran into often as they lived in my neighborhood: Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, Paul Weller

While I managed a restaurant/club: Gregg Allman, Eric Burdon, Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman, Johnny Cash, Joe Satriani, Little Feat, Daryl Hall and John Oates, Ginger Baker, Les Paul, Duane Eddy, Willie Nelson, Clem Burke (Blondie), Randy California, Brian May, Marshall Crenshaw, Little Steven, Bruce Springsteen, Sam Moore, John Densmore (The Doors), Robbie Robertson, Bob Seger... and many more I'm forgetting right now

While promoting concerts: James Taylor, Carly Simon, Tony Bennett, Aretha Franklin, Huey Lewis, Michael Monarch (Steppenwolf), Randy Meisner (Eagles)...

SRVYJM
08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Yngwie
I met him twice now, after and before shows in Denver. Despite what everyone has heard and thinks, he was really a great guy. Very approachable and nice. Much bigger guy then I expected (not wide, quit that), about 6'4" or more. Viking I guess.

Joe Satriani.
Actually, not a very nice guy the night I met him. Well, met is actually not true,. After a show we all waited around to say hi, and he walked past all his fans and ran to his tour bus. We had waited about 90 minutes post show and I would have thought he could at lease stop and say thanks. It was our money that was paying for that tour bus. Yngwie was way nicer.

wstsidela
08-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Doing whiskey shots with Lemmy in a Las Vegas strip club was fun.

Nielsnielsniels
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Shook hands and talked abit with the Rosenberg Trio, if anyone ever heard of them.

When I was 18 my band was one of numerous others to warm up for Cream in about 1968. Met Eric and Jack Bruce backstage and had my guitar signed (actually etched in the paint with a key!) by EC and had a photo taken with he and Jack Bruce. Both really nice guys. I didn't dare talk to Ginger as he looked like a drunken pirate and frightened us all! One day I'll figure out how to get that photo on the forum.

Damn, that's the most awesome thing i've heard in this thread. Do you still have the guitar? Would absolutely love to see that picture! :aok

I can agree, Ginger Baker does tend to look like a pirate sometimes.
http://www.angel.dk/GingerBaker/store/GingerBakerD_21.JPG

GerryJ
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Shook hands and talked a bit with the Rosenberg Trio, if anyone ever heard of them.

They might not be rock stars, but they play guitar better than everyone else named in the past 27 pages.

JRDill
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm a big ZZ Top fan and while record shopping here in Houston one day I picked up a copy of ZZ Tops First Album on record to check it out and eventually buy. I heard a voice behind me say "Ehh I wouldn't waist my time...." Turned around and it was Billy Gibbons. We shared a good laugh and I spent the afternoon going through Costello records with one of my heros.

todd richman
08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
That is a great story. Billy seems like he would have a great sense of humor.

newswede
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I've met Buddy Guy a few times. One of the nicest guys ever. A true man of the blues.
Chuck Berry - not a real people person. LOL
Billy Corgan - just after he shaved his head. Nothing like his stage persona. Super nice guy.
Richie Havens - funny and a true gentleman.

iluvstrats
09-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I've met, played and hung out with a lot of different well known musicians but the most interesting one was probably Captain Beefheart.

It was hard to get Don to quit talking once he started. Had many late nights hanging out with him and finally having to make an excuse to say goodnight.

It was always cool when he would sit sit in on harp and sing blues tunes with his raggeddy old voice.

walpow
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I met all the members of Procol Harum. And I sat next to Timothy B. Schmidt in a theater.

spitshineguitars
09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I met Robby Krieger after one of his solo shows a couple years back. Stalked him behind the venue. Autographed my copy of his CD and was friendly enough but seemed kinda tired. Met Derek Trucks recently outside before and after a show recently and he was probably the most down to earth musician as it gets.

My girlfriend and I bumped into Clapton when we were staying out in LA a few years ago. We're walking down Sunset Blvd. late at night and we walk by a gentleman that was saying goodbye to someone as he was leaving a restaurant. After walking another 10 ft. my girlfriend says "hey i think that's eric clapton." I reply "yeah right". YEAH IT WAS ERIC F'N CLAPTON ALRIGHT!! He walked right by us and I was like "hey eric, can we get a photo real quick?" and he was like "uhhh i'd rather not." I guess he was friendly enough about it but it really would have meant the world to us if he would have took 10 seconds to snap a quick photo. There was zero paparazzi around and hardly anybody on the street. If we BARELY recognized him I don't think anybody else would have. He had a limo down the block waiting for him that he got into and he had like a jansport backpack, jeans and a plain white undershirt on. Very dressed down and blended in real nice with the rest of us non-celebs. Very cool to see him in person.

Rick Towne
09-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Danny Gatton at 1994 Troubador sound check. All three Hellecasters at various gigs, NAMM, etc. Worked for Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and others as law clerk and first lawyer position; other lawyers were David Braun (senior partner) and John Branca (just starting out). Later represented Ozzie/Sharon Osbourne in wrongful termination suit by Carmine Appice. Met Jackson Browne and various others at Westwood Music drop ins; Browne again when he taped an interview at former Hanna-Barbera studio offices for a TBN show a gospel choir he sponsored. All pretty nice people in those contexts.

coot tone
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Bruce Springsteen-Very nice guy who talked to me like he had been one of my friends for years! Even talked to my wife on my cell phone. He told her that he and I were at a strip joint together (We weren't, unfortunately). Thanks a lot, Bruce!

Steve Van Zandt, Nils Lofgren, Garry Tallent, Max Weinberg. Met them at a different time than meeting the Boss, they were all very cool and nice. Got to talk to Stevie about 30 minutes about the latest Sopranos episode at the time, which was the one where they went out on the boat and killed Big *****. He told me the shoot lasted so long that they were all seasick.

Mark Knopfler-Met him at a Nashville vintage show at an effects table. Very nice guy.

Buddy Guy-Met him at his club a few days before SRV died. SRV was supposed to show up that night and jam, but didn't. Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon were there, and during the evening Dave Mason, Buddy Miles, and Willie Dixon (!!!) all got up at various times to do tunes with Buddy.

Muddy Waters-met him at one of his late shows..very nice guy. Check out Bob Margolin's website for some GREAT Muddy stories.

Warren Haynes, Richard Thompson, Graham Parker, Pete Buck, Marshall Crenshaw: all guys I met and interviewed when I was writing for a music mag. All were very nice, including Mr. Parker, who had a reputation of spitting out journalists. The Buck interview was for a cover story. When I started transcribing the mini-cassette, the machine ate my tape! When he found out he let me do the interview all over again! It was better the second time, because I knew what questions were better than others. Haynes, Thompson, and MC were all great guys as well. The first thing MC asked me when he found out that I lived in Southern Illinois was if I knew who Ray Butts was, I could tell he was shocked and I had achieved major credibility when I did!

Terry Anderson, Dan Baird, Eric Ambel, Keith Christopher, also know collectively as the Yayhoos. I am lucky enough to count TA as a friend, and the other guys are all incredibly nice. Keith is a sweetheart of a guy, when I told him his songwriting and bass playing reminded me of Ronnie Lane he was genuinely touched, turns out Laneole was a big influence of his.

coot tone
09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I left out a few more, but I have to mention these two: Brian Wilson, which I got to meet through a friend of mine who plays in his band, and Mick Ronson, who is probably my all time favorite guitar player. Brian was nice but appeared very fragile (as one might suspect) and Ronno was incredibly nice. I was pretty young when I met him, and he was my biggest influence, and I was more nervous around him than I was any of the other folks. He gave me his disposable lighter that he had played slide with that night, which was very, very cool.

flume
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Geordie Walker of Killing Joke.

mseals
09-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Last month, or so, got to meet and talk with Joey Kramer, drummer for Aerosmith, at a book signing just before they played in Tulsa with ZZ Top.

Great show... really enjoyed it...

Only had about 30 seconds with him... wife and I got our photo with him, then they stopped the photo taking... He was very gracious, and nice...

On the plane trip from Tulsa to Atlanta, on our way to Cocoa Beach, FL, was on the plane with the musicians from Starship... talked to them for a little while... good guys (and a girl)...

Mike in Kuwait

Marshalls Law
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I've met a few...

Dennis DeYoung from Styx - Met him at NYC deli in times square. He was eating matzah ball soup...

Reb Beach of Winger - back in college I was friends with his sister and she got us backstage at a show at University of Florida.

Allan White from Yes - met him at a drum workshop in South Florida

Les Paul - Met him after a show at the Irridium club in NYC and he signed my pickguard for my Les Paul guitar. Awesome experience.

John Densmore from The Doors - Met him after he did a book ready at the learning annex in NYC.

Tikirocker
09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Geordie Walker of Killing Joke.

How was Geordie? I've been a huge KJ fan for 20 years ...

flume
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Glad to see another dedicated KJ follower here!

He's a true gent and has become a good friend. We keep in regular contact. Got together a few times in London earlier this year when I happened to be there at the same time they did a warm up gig prior to a summer of big festivals.

Hope you got to see the reunion tour - if not - it looks like things are shaping up for 2010.

ib2010
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I lent allison krause my pick up truck. As a backup soundman for a local club, i got a call from my main bud that he couldn't do a show and needed me to cover for him. I said sure, packed up my monitors (club had horrid abused small carvins) and headed over. Yup, how about an all acoustic (bass had a di) delicate tiny voice in a 450 capacity rock venue with a hell pa known for runaway multi freq. squeals. Tuff soundcheck, my dna and self image were in shambles and heading south. They were all sweet people and this perdicament was not new to them. Their bus was at the motel and the driver was missing, so I tossed allison my f-100 pickup keys and off they went, with 1/2 of union station ridin in the back.-----SOMEHOW, the show went Perfectly with only 2 mini start-to-runs. When it was over i could not believe that it had ended, I couldn't believe the relief that flooded thru my body. Plus I got a sincere future grammy winner hug. priceless

coot tone
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm going to resist sharing my dirty thoughts about this, but I'm thinking them.

:drool

I lent allison krause my pick up truck. As a backup soundman for a local club, i got a call from my main bud that he couldn't do a show and needed me to cover for him. I said sure, packed up my monitors (club had horrid abused small carvins) and headed over. Yup, how about an all acoustic (bass had a di) delicate tiny voice in a 450 capacity rock venue with a hell pa known for runaway multi freq. squeals. Tuff soundcheck, my dna and self image were in shambles and heading south. They were all sweet people and this perdicament was not new to them. Their bus was at the motel and the driver was missing, so I tossed allison my f-100 pickup keys and off they went, with 1/2 of union station ridin in the back.-----SOMEHOW, the show went Perfectly with only 2 mini start-to-runs. When it was over i could not believe that it had ended, I couldn't believe the relief that flooded thru my body. Plus I got a sincere future grammy winner hug. priceless

Tonekat
09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Bo Diddly - Lobby of Henley Park Hotel in DC - very cordial, got his autograph
Ry Cooder - At an outdoor festival at college, 70s, nice, looks really wasted in the pics I took.
Denny Walley - after a Captain Beefheart show in Poughkeepsie, NY, super nice guy, willing to talk about the creative process.
Robert Johnson - drummer at same CB show, nice guy, asked me to send him copies of my pics of the show, I never did. Sorry Robert.
Trey Gunn - Self-important jerk who refused to answer my question on the differences between the Warr Guitar and the Chapman Stick after a show at the Birchmere.
Hideyo Moriya - California Guitar Trio - nice guy, got his autograph on their (then) new CD.

67blackcherry
10-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Neil Schon - NAMM show 94. Nicest guy in the world, huge influence of mine.

Gregg Rollie - ABRAXAS backstage after the show 1995. Nice guy.

Joe Satriani - NAMM show 93

Steve Vai - outside the FM Club in North Hollywood, just before "Eat 'em & Smile" came out. I was trying to give him tickets to get inside the club for free and he thought I wanted his autograph. He asked me if I wanted it and I said "no, that's ok." DLR was inside the club, my girl and I were dancing right next to him and his chick. I remember thinking "wow, he's pretty short (I'm 6', he was a quite a bit shorter than I) and also thinking "jeez, his biceps are as big as my thighs!" and I've got some pretty hefty thighs!

Gene Simmons - NAMM show 92 - I got a picture of him and my girl and told him "thanks for all the great music, you guys are the reason I started playing guitar." He gave me a blank look; I wanted to say "yeah, well Ace was the coolest one in the band!" Gene was an A-hole.

James Burton - NAMM show 94 - My girl and I invited him over for a drink at the table we had at the Hilton after the show. He hung with us the whole friggin' NIGHT and we got him TOSSED! He never did buy a round but that's ok cause we were pimping him out "Hey! Look who this is, James Burton!" People were coming by our table the entire night to say hi and give him accolades and we were acting like we were something special!

Steve Stevens - NAMM show 92 - real nice guy, very short!

Winter of '83, I met my biggest hero/influence, Joe Mothafuggin Perry! The Project was on their last tour (before Aerosmith got back together) they were playing a crappy little hall in Las Vegas. My roommate loaned the opening act his Marshalls so we were there from load in through soundcheck and until the last song. He signed that album "Once A Rocker Always A Rocker" and I asked him a bunch of stupid questions about how he kept his strats in tune; I was an awe-struck 20 year old. My buddy and I took a bunch of pictures of his guitars and even worked up the nerve to hold them (the club was empty after soundcheck) and I held that left handed strat (the black on on Live Bootleg) he had sanded it down to bare wood and it was sporting a tele neck.

That by far was the coolest.

BBender
10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Pissed next to Al Kooper at a Black Keys concert in Boston...he sat in for a few tunes on organ.

MJR
10-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I've met a bunch, but perhaps my most memorable was back in 2000 when I ran into Audley Freed (who was with the Black Crowes then) at Fat Sound Guitars. We traded licks back and forth for a few minutes. He came off as a very friendly, down-to-earth guy and a helluva player. I think that was after I caught them and Jimmy Page live. :aok

Timinator
10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Met EVH a few times back in the mid '70's, Michael Anthony too.

Lived real close to Harvey Mandel in the early '70s and got to hand out with him and one of his crazy wives from time to time.

Met Joe Pass in La Jolla, CA after a show in the mid-late '80s. Very cool.

Met Monte Montgomery a few times after shows. Actually I'm seeing him again tomorrow night! I've got a DY62C Yari like his I brought to the show last year. I've got pictures of him playing then signing it. Nice guy. My wife just loves him.

Met Eric Johnson after a show in San Diego in late '80s.

TrentBizzle
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Here is a quick list of bands/musicians I have met just by glancing at my itunes list to see who I remember. Too many stories to tell, so im just listing.

Styx
Alice Cooper: with Eric Singer, Damon Johnson, Jason Hook, Keri Kelli, Chuck Garric
Chevelle
Hootie and The Blowfish
Queensryche- all but Degarmo
Grand Funk railroad: With Bruce Kulick
REM- Stipe, Buck, Mills
Slipknot- 4/9 Corey, Jim, Chris, Clown
John Legend
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Brian May
Mike Portnoy
Five Finger Death Punch
The Tubes: 3 of originals including Fee
Vince Gill
Airbourne
Black Stone Cherry
Story of The Year
Duff McKagan
Eddie Money
Hinder
Hoobastank
Theory of a Deadman
Nickelback- all but original drummer
Joe Bonamassa
Katy Perry :)
Keith Urban
Ted Nugent
King's X
Ronnie Montrose
Lordi
Korn- all but Dave and Head
Flea- RHCP
Rev Theory
Buddy Guy
BB King
Saving Abel
Type-O Negative
Taylor Swift :)
Trivium
Jack White
Jack Black
ZZ Top- Billy and Dusty

jkemmery
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Don't quite know if he qualifies as a "Rock Star", but I met Edwin McCain and him interviewed for a local fanzine a few years ago. I also met Ted Nugent at a book signing and still have the signed copy of "Kill it and Grill it" (A mighty, insightful and highly intellectual tome ... ;-). Back in my college days, I met, and partied hearty with the Red Hot Chili Peppers when they came through Columbia Mo, both when they still had Hilel Slovak, and then later with John Frusciante. But this was before they became mega stars with the release of "Blood Sugar Sex Magic". Also back then, met and partied with Firehose and TSOL. Those were the days! Too bad I don't remember more of them ....

Big Al Z
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Met Steve Morse and Rod Morgenstein at a BP station in Ohio. Steve had a guitar with him in the back of the suv. Nice enough guy. Rod is very cool. Met him thru a friend.

bopplayer
10-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Not a rock star but I met and hung out with Merle Haggard several times in the 90's. He has this amazing ability to be "hag" as his band calls him off stage, then can transform seemingly in a minute to Merle Haggard the country star. I couldn't believe that when I saw it. The guy I had enchilladas with and talked about motorcycles did a 360. I forgot who he was.

He was trying out a Roland guitar synth in his hotel room, he looked at us (fiddle, bass, lead and myself) and said: "someday you'll walk up to a machine and say gimme a song about a cheatin' wife and a dyin' dog and it'll write on for ya" very very humble man, shy introverted.

DC1
10-12-2009, 05:45 PM
i met a rock-star under a circumstance!
unfortunately, the pillars holding up the circumstance collapsed,
and we were crushed by it.
dust.... in the wind.....
dt / spltrcl

You met Kerry Livgren??

you're my hero!

dc

jjboogie
10-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I have met lots of Rock stars but there is only one in which I really would like to share with you again! I got to hang with him two days in a row! This was taken in Essaouira Morocco this year. Edit: For those who don't recognize him it's Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/jjboogie/JJRobertPlant.jpg

Reeltarded
10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Got to hang out with sebastian bach for a little while after an outdoor show in wisconsin. was a lot of fun, he's a great guy. very approachable, none of that "im bigger than you" crap that some of em portray. funny as all hell too.

I was on a tour with them for way too long one time.

Bas likes to fight on the bus. Butch says no fighting. I'd listen to Butch, if that is his real name... but it's not. I'd listen anyways.

barryg_nyc
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Not a star by any means, but when I was about 14, we had a neighbor named Pete. He'd come and hang out in the local park and shoot the breeze with whoever was hanging out. Turned out he was the drummer in a band called Ram Jam which had a hit single called Black Betty a year or so earlier. He didn't talk about himself or the band much unless someone asked.
Thinking back, it was really cool of him to just hang out and be one of the guys watching basketball, etc, and not be a jerk, even when we asked him really dumb questions.

Closest encounter to a "real" rock star that I can recall was about 18 years ago - I was sitting at the pool at the Arizona Biltmore. It was 112 degrees out (they had a large digital thermometer at the pool) and across the other side of the pool I could see this guy hanging out with shoulder-length curly blonde hair. I jokingly said to a colleague who was sitting with me, pointing towards the blonde guy - "hey, loser, get a haircut - it's 112 degrees"... About 20 minutes later, the pool waitress came by and said "hey, did you see Robert Plant and his band were over there a few minutes ago?"

mseals
10-13-2009, 04:42 AM
JJ,

I don't recognize him... who is it?

Mike in Kuwait

Cody
10-13-2009, 05:03 AM
JJ,

I don't recognize him... who is it?

Mike in Kuwait
Robert Plant.

brothertupelo
10-13-2009, 05:47 AM
kaki king broke my nose

Timinator
10-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Robert Plant.

Holy crap! That's Robert Plant?

jjboogie
10-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Holy crap! That's Robert Plant?

A yes sir it's Robert Plant! I think I asked the same thing when I was told I was going to meet him! :)

Other rock stars I met!

Lead Singer of the Bullet Boys...can't even remember his name.
Lead Singer of Great White....can't even remember his name.

Taj Mahal
Charles Musselwhite
Delbert McClinton
Tinsley Ellis
Sean Costello

UB40...Ali Campbell
The Wailers
Ziggy Marley
Inner Circle who sings Bad Boys Bad Boys...whatcha gonna do?
Shaggy
Damian Marley
Marcus Miller
Talib Kweli
Zap Mama
Lenny Kravitz

INXS.....post Michael Hutchence
Simple Minds
Leavell Degree of The Whispers

George Benson
John Mayer
Robert Plant
Speech of Arrested Development the band not the show! Then again I play guitar for them too!

Can't think of anyone else but I am sure there are more

cber1517
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Last year, the family and I went trick or treating with some friends in their subdivision. One of the houses just down the street was elaborately decorated with tombstones, skeletons, cobwebs, etc. My friend turned to me and said "this is Tom Keifer's (Cinderella) house." Sure enough, I met Tom and he and his wife were very friendly and generous in their candy giving. Later on, I showed the video of "Don't Know What You Got 'Til It's Gone" to my 6 yr old daughter and told her this is the man who we met last Halloween. She freaked!

I'll be heading his way again this year. Gotta love Nashville.

Yossi
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Mattisyahu performed the only unplugged concert that I know of that he ever did, in my dining room for our local high school. He was in town for a concert and he and his band stayed in my house. He said that he would do a show if I provided the instruments for his band members. I also had a good time jamming with his guitarist before the show.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/Yossi_770/DSCN1384.jpg

h20man
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
:agree It would have been cooler if they were awake though!

straightblues
10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Here is a good one. I was a NAMM in the Gretsch booth playing the new guitars 4 years ago. There was a little guy sitting next to me and we strarted talking and checking out the new White Falcon. He was telling me he really liked it. I told him, yeah so did I. We strarted trading blues licks. This went on for about 10 minutes. Then he started to sing Streets with No Name. Yeah, I was playing with Bono and didn't have a clue. I screwed up and didn't even get a picture.

Stratofuzz
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
David Pack from Ambrosia-goes to the same church. Just talked with him at PF Changs last Saturday.

Met Alan Holdsworth at a local BBQ joint this year too.

Darkburst
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I just saw Lemmy in the car next to me on Sunset and Gower. When I first moved to LA I was at a stop light on Franklin Ave and I look to my right and there's Glen Danzig hanging out in his front yard. Bizarre!

67blackcherry
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
David Pack from Ambrosia-goes to the same church. Just talked with him at PF Changs last Saturday.

Met Alan Holdsworth at a local BBQ joint this year too.

You live in South OC? I met him a few years ago, coming out of a restaurant next to the Laguna Hills Mall. He told me he lives in San Juan Capistrano. I think I bummed him out, cause after I recognized him and said hello, I started asking him if he caught the recent Jeff Beck tour and proceeded to tell him how amazing Mr Beck was that night...

Asimauve
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Matisyahu is the man !!!!!

jjboogie
11-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Met Dick when I was on tour in Europe in 2006. We both played the same venue the same night in two different rooms. We both missed each other's set. But got to hang for a minute.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/jjboogie/JJDickDale.png

BobbyFudge
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I just saw Lemmy in the car next to me on Sunset and Gower. When I first moved to LA I was at a stop light on Franklin Ave and I look to my right and there's Glen Danzig hanging out in his front yard. Bizarre!

LOL...I saw Glen Danzig in his front yard with a weed wacker.

hangten
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
sounds like a scene from "Spinal Tap - the next generation"Oh, yeah...I also helped Yngwie find his way out of the Sears in the Aventura Mall in '93. I was working there and he was lost and having a fit. Full rock regalia and some hot chick on his arm. LOL. I think he was kinda shocked that I was the only one who knew who he was.

Mike

bearbike137
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Met Stevie Nicks when I was a gawky pimple-faced 18 year old kid way back in 1979. I had just seen Fleetwood Mac on their "Tusk" tour at the University of Illinois -- third row center -- best concert I have ever seen. Ran into her by a strange fluke as she was leaving the stadium. No one there except me, her bodyguard, and a waiting limo.

I said "Hi Stevie" as she walked by. Her giant bodyguard brought his hand down on my shoulder to pull me away, but Stevie interjected and told him to leave me be. She stopped, shook my hand, and we chatted about the show. She couldn't have been sweeter and kinder to me. She was absolutely gorgeous -- even prettier in person. Also, she was much smaller than I expected.

Her kindness and attention meant a lot to me at the time. I will always adore her for that.

(Also, got to know Jody Stephens, the drummer of Big Star, a bit back around ten years ago through a friend of a friend who worked at Ardent. I am a huge Big Star fan. Jody has got to be one of the nicest guys in the world.)

soulohio
11-10-2009, 10:29 AM

met them both myself. Danzig at the old Cathouse and Lemmy at... guess where... the Rainbow. Lemmy is ALWAYS at the 'bow. Really an approachable guy.

gitarboy
11-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I jammed for over an hour with Joe Bonamassa on a blues cruise about 5 years ago... I was closing down the "passenger" jam one night about 1:30 am... I was the only guitar player left and had just pulled the plug and putting my guitar up... down the hall comes Bonammasa's agent carrying his then gold strat... behind him comes Joe with a bass player and a drummer( I think they were from Tab Benoit's band)... he looks at me and says..."can I sit in with you... there's too many egos at the other jam (pro)... I plugged back in and we went at it for over an hour... where ever he went I just tried my best to hang... did some blues, rock and even a little country... Ieven got some atta boys for a few of my solos... where's a video camera when you need it...:cry: did get a pic though...

Steve
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/gitarboy/SteveandJoe-1.jpg

patl
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
A short while back I wrote here about meeting G.E. Smith and the Moonalice guys: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=595850

bettset
11-14-2009, 11:12 PM
i've had the fortune of meeting les paul, dave davies, dave hlubeck, jackson spires, jay johnson, joe walsh, skynyrd 2008. les paul was incredible--took time to talk with us--about 20 minutes. same for hlubek, jay, rickey & johnny. joe was hungover. davies was a bit drunk after a show, but cordial to us. almost met ray davies that nght, but he runs for the limo--he hates crowds or people unknown to him. dave said he's never really in a hurry to leave--he enjoys fans after shows. his limo driver was getting impatient--dave told him kiddingly to mellow out, & he'd get a nice tip for the drive to the airport. :wave

AJ Love
11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
All the Blues guys I've met and jammed with ARE rock stars to me: Billy Branch, John Prmer, Billy Flynn, Barrelhouse Chuck, Pistol Pete, Nick Moss, Linsey Alexander, Kenny Smith... all great, kind hearted people and phenomenal musicians

vds5000
11-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Does 3-time Grammy award winner Walter Ostanek count?

DC1
11-15-2009, 12:34 AM
All the Blues guys I've met and jammed with ARE rock stars to me: Billy Branch, John Prmer, Billy Flynn, Barrelhouse Chuck, Pistol Pete, Nick Moss, Linsey Alexander, Kenny Smith... all great, kind hearted people and phenomenal musicians

Yes! Met Buddy Guy. What a cool cat.

dc

Drunkinminer
11-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Being a big fan of the Doobie Bros and I mother Earth back in the 90's I got on the stage crew to meet them. Great guys to talk to. Got a set of doobs drum stix.

OldGitarist
11-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I've met & talked to:
Jon Anderson & Vangelis at a trade show many years ago...
Phil Lynott (RIP) of Thin Lizzy at a gig way back...
Cozy Powell (RIP) at a gig way back...
Dave Gilmour & Bill Wyman (private party way back)
Jet Harris (UK guitarist) in sessions,
Jeff Whitehorn, (Top UK guitarist & raconteur)
Jim Marshall, (many times at trade shows...a legend)
John Otway, (support gig, very funny guy...)
The honour of being in a band with the great Clem Cattini of Johnny Kidd & the Pirates/Tornado's fame...
More recently, Eric Johnson & all the guys in Journey & Thunder at after show parties,
Collaborative projects with all the guys from XTC,
shook BB King's hand (Yay!)
Derek Trucks (shook hand after show- really nice guy)
Justin Hawkins...really nice guy too...
Matt Schofield... a great new blues guitarist...and good friend...
Joe Bonamassa chatted with several times at shows...REALLY nice guy...amazing performer...

ezyrydr
11-22-2009, 09:14 AM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs192.snc1/6455_95565652823_632472823_1807822_5274334_n.jpg
Alice Cooper. Really nice guy and he smelled like pyrotechnics.

I also met Marc Ford in Boston he was getting back to the hotel from a Red Sox game. I'm sure there are others and I'm just not remembering, I'm not much of a "celebrity guy".

DC1
11-22-2009, 06:11 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs192.snc1/6455_95565652823_632472823_1807822_5274334_n.jpg
Alice Cooper. Really nice guy and he smelled like pyrotechnics.

My brother golfs with him.

Nice guy.

dc

splatt
11-22-2009, 07:48 PM
You met Kerry Livgren??

you're my hero!

dc
akkkkk!
no, he's one "rock star" i've never actually met;
poetic license, dude.
ha!

(i do like singing that song, though; maybe i'll do a "cover" of it, one day..... sans vocals, natch.)

dt / spltrcl

Doug's Tubes
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Hung out with Billy Joel and our motorcycles at the local Nathan's back in 1982 when he was dating Christie Brinkley. No one recognized him at first, but within 15 minutes he was swarmed and left with his entourage.

KSKONDOR
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
The only people I've met are the Third Eye Blind, which was cool because they were a huge inspiration to me about 12 years ago. I met Buddy Guy at Legends in Chicago and got a photo with him. I met Kenny Loggins backstage because my wifes band opened for him. I met Chris Duarte in Kansas City, and Ana Popovich in Wichta. And....I met arguably the most famous guitar tech in the business...Dallas Schoo, in Chicago this last year.

It's Time!
11-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I have met so many people in the music and movie industry it would take me too long to type out all their names.

I used to hang out in Hollywood clubs all the time.

DC1
11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
akkkkk!
no, he's one "rock star" i've never actually met;
poetic license, dude.
ha!

(i do like singing that song, though; maybe i'll do a "cover" of it, one day..... sans vocals, natch.)

dt / spltrcl

I know. Just ribbing you a bit...

I like the music more than the lyrics, which seem so 70's-cosmic if you know what I mean. Good candidate for an instrumental.

Hey I saw that you knew Chris Whitley. What a talent. Amazing guy.

dc

TB72
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I just got home from a stint opening for ZZ Top. I didn't do shots or shoot dice, but I did get to hang out with Billy for a good chunk of an afternoon. It's kind of overwhelming for me now, but at the time, it just felt like a couple of gear hounds shootin' the shit about music, pop culture, and guitars.

Billy has his "Moderne" out on the road with him. Now, I'm no George Gruhn, so I don't know whether or not it's the real-deal holy grail...but he let me play it.

Later...

guitarmandp
11-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Brian May, Zakk Wylde, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Slash.

Slash and Zakk Wylde and Brian May though you could argue are the only rock stars on that list.

todd richman
11-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Jimmy Page after the Page/Plant show at the Philly Sprectrum-April 3, 1995
Mick Taylor after his gig at The Tin Angel-November 2003

My top two and two of my biggest guitar influences.

Primakurtz
11-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Dave Gregory? One of my biggest influences & favorite guitarists?! Is that you?

My list - I used to be a grunt on music videos, so I few of these came via work:

Rick Danko, The Ramones (Joey didn't talk much), the Gang of 4 (I wanted to marry Sara Lee on the spot), Ministry, Megadeth, Skid Row, Johnny Thunders, Killing Joke (RIP, Raven), KMFDM, Ogre from Skinny Puppy (sweet guy!), and recently Agent Orange.

Mostly fine, regular people who happen to work in a public artform.

ggwwbb
11-26-2009, 10:29 AM
In 1990, my brother and I were in Hollywood making our way to all of the guitar shops on the Strip. Just off the Strip, we made our way into a small shop that was empty, except for two guys in the back working on a bass. The bass itself looked somewhat familiar, but I didn't think much about it till the the one guy turned around and smiled at us. It was Billy Sheehan, and the bass that I recognized was his beat up Telecaster bass that was on DLR's videos! I looked at my brother and said "that's Billy Sheehan from DLR's band (this was right before Mr. Big had released their debut), DO NOT ask for an autograph!" (I personally could care less about getting autographs, but thats just me.) He was about as nice as could be and chatted for a few minutes about the upcoming Mr. Big stuff & music in general. My brother then blurts out "Can we have your autograph!?!?" I coulda punched him out on the spot...I was so embarrassed. I was only 19 or 20 and trying to look as cool as possible.... He happily signed a couple of the shops cards for us, I've still got it somewhere. Anyway a little while later, while walking down the street we see him walk over with his guitar case to a POS little green Ford Pinto, open the hatchback, toss his case in, & take off. He even smiled at us again and told us to have a good day. I had read in an interview not long before then about how he still lived in the same house, and drove the same Ford Pinto even after being in DLR's band....he wasn't BSing, it was the truth!! Totally cool guy!!

I met Jimmie Vaughan at the Tulsa airport about 15 years ago or so while I was waiting for my Dad's flight to arrive. We chatted about cars (he's a big car nut, as am I) for about 15 minutes or so till my Dad's flight got in. He even had his guitar case with him and music/guitars didn't even come up, just cars. Super cool dude!

A couple of years ago, we were on our way to So. California for vacation and had just got into D/FW airport for a connecting flight. It was about 7:00 on Sunday morning so the airport was fairly empty (if you can imagine D/FW being empty!!) My wife took our little one, he was about 1 1/2 then, to get something to eat and I took our oldest one, who was 6 then, to the bathroom. We were kind of in a hurry cause we didn't have alot of time till our next flight. As my son & I are walking to the bathroom, I brushed by a guy pulling a small suitcase and wearing a funky skull cap...yep...Billy Gibbons. I said to my son, hey that's Billy Gibbons!!! I turned around to look again and he turned around and smiled. I took my son to the bathroom and told him who it was and he knew then cause he likes to look at my copy of Billy's book "Rock-n-Roll Gearhead". We walked over to him and I told him how much I liked his book, his music, blah, blah, blah...probably looked like a major tool, but I didn't care. Billy smiled and thanked me. I told him that my son loved his book too and Billy asked him which was his favorite guitar in the book. My son holds his hands up, making a square with his fingers and said the square one (remember, he's only 6 at the time!) Billy and the people with him laughed, then Billy asked my son if he would like a pick! My son 'bout flipped, cause he has a pick collection! I 'bout flipped too, especially when I looked at the pick it looked to be used!!!!! We thanked him, shook his hand and went on our way. About that time my wife was walking over to us asking us what in the world we were doing cause we don't have much time. I told her we were talking to Billy Gibbons, guitarist/singer for ZZ Top and she goes "whatever"...The she looks over and sees him! She says did you get a picture? Of course I didn't, I don't think of things like that. So we go back over and ask Billy if he minds if I take a picture of him with my son. He goes "Step right up, son". Made my day & my sons. When we were walking off, my wife asked if the other people sitting across from him were with him also, cause they were smiling and saying hi to her. I look back and see Frank Beard sitting there!! About that time Dusty Hill walked right by us to sit down!! I coulda died!! We didn't have time or we would've gone back for a picture of all three of them with my son!! Oh well. A couple of days later we watched them perform on American Idol. My son thought that it was pretty cool to see them on TV after just seeing them in person a couple of days before!! Super, super nice guy!! Here's the pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/gwb/kylebillyg.jpg

I went to middle school and high school with movie/TV star Kristen Chenowith (she was Kristi then). I didn't really know her very well, but we had/have a lot of mutual friends, enough so that she knew who I was. She was (and seems to still be) an extemely nice person. Even tho she doesn't really seem like it on TV, she is very, very short. And yes, that is her real voice.

Two-Octave
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
My cousin went to school with a guy who used to live next door to a girl who went to the same dentist as Keith Emerson. So I've got that going for me. I feel like we're brothers.

bigdaddy
11-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I knocked back quite a few with John Popper (Blues Traveler) when they were just getting goin'. I had just seen his idol, Sugar Blue, a few weeks before and he loved talkin' bout that guy.

A friend of mine got to know Mule's/ABB's tour manager in the early 90's so I got to meet Warren Haynes and Allen Woody a few different times. Woody was the most badass dude I have ever seen on stage, with his hair down, the tats and the expression on his face as he boomed out those 64th notes. Off-stage, with his hair pulled back, he looked like a freckle-faced kid. He had an infectious smile and loved to laugh. I miss him.

Walked up to Kimock and introduced myself at a Zero gig in the mid-90's. Ended up havin a few good laughs with Steve, Judge and Martin Fierro. Martin was hillarious and it was kinda weird thinkin that I was hangin with the guy who was on some of my favorite recordings ever (Legion of Mary).

On my honeymoon we went to tour Hawaii with The Radiators. A few folks put together a private acoustic gig in Maui that included an open bar. Needless to say, almost everyone, including the band got pretty well lit up. My wife ended up driving down Front St in Lahaina in our rented Jeep with me in the front seat, Dave Malone and Ed Volker in the back. Ed was standing up singing "Sam, Sam the dago" at the top of his lungs to the tune of "Bom Bom Bu Dao". He's denied it many times since.

OldGitarist
11-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Dave Gregory? One of my biggest influences & favorite guitarists?! Is that you?

No, I'm not David- but note my location- 'Swindon' home of XTC...! I hope to be working in the studio soon with both Dave & Andy from XTC. I'm shooting a new video soon with Andy in a collaborative project- can't talk too much about it now but will post a You-Tube link when it's all done... with David soon I hope to be recording/producer with his new band too - exciting stuff...

Primakurtz
11-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Awesome - thanks! Swindon is a lovely spot. Please give my thanks to Dave for all the great lessons I learned from the XTC Black Sea book. One of the few books where the musicians wrote out the real notes/chords they played on the album.

Oh, add to my list: Ozzy Osborne, in the late '80's. A very nice, gracious old Englishman. What amazed me was that offstage he was walking with a cane and looked to be about 60 years old. Later that evening, on stage, he was agile and looked 30. The power of adrenalin?

wstsidela
01-09-2010, 03:40 AM
I met Merle Haggard tonight

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18862_241354278381_646983381_3212274_8324017_n.jpg

mototpsychel
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Met: Leslie West, The J. Geils Band, David Bowie & Marc Bolan together, Mylon Lefevre.

Had drinks with (that I can remember): Joan Jett & The Black Hearts, The Ramones, The Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, Sirius Trixon.

Smoked pot with: Nico, Gerard Malanga, and others from Warhol's Factory crew.

Played with: Eddie Angel & Bert Sommer

That's about the best I can do.

mediocreplayer
02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
In 2001 I went to see a show at a local pub (capacity around 50-75 people tops) where the lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket was touring. He had a young guy open for him, just the guy on his acoustic guitar. I was so blown away by that kid, who looked to be the same age as me and played the hell out of his guitar. I ended up talking to him after the show and he was pretty cool. A year or so after, Your Body is a Wonderland was playing everywhere and he became a star and future controversial figure on TGP.

I am not a fan of his music, but it feels cool to have met him and saw how great a player he is before any prejudices got in the way.

(Note: I am talking about John Mayer for those who are not familiar with his work)

defcrew
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Too true, too true. I'm surprised no one but you and me got the memo they're not allowed in without the gold record or two. I still can't believe the stories about Eric Clapton being blown away by Hendrix when he first saw him, to the point he actually thought Jimi was interesting!

But anyway, I'll play along. I ran into McCartney (Paul, that is) in the grocery store once. His kids were running up and down the canned food aisles. He didn't seem impressed to meet me (go figure) but that was before my multi-selling CD Live in the Living Room.
:dude

halcyon85
02-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I met one half of AFI back in 2004, not the half anyone was wanting to meet, back when I had crappier taste in music. They were sort of assholes. Must've been my Pink Floyd shirt.

joemilitello
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Matt Cameron in Philly, on the street, when I was there for Pearl Jam closing down the Spectrum last Halloween. Nice guy.

Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood in 1989 at the Four Seasons in Boston. Tiny, all of them! I was too awestruck to do anything but stammer and stare. I was there with Jimmy Miller, who introduced us. (Jimmy, RIP, produced Let It Bleed, Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, I believe.)

Met Rick Danko around the same time in a bar in Boston. He was pretty out of it, probably heroin.

I peed next to the lead singer for J Geils band in a bar. Peter Wolf. He told a joke.

Strat335
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
That's what I want to do. I have missed meeting him with mutual friends several times, and he's really someone I have wanted to meet forever.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18862_241354278381_646983381_3212274_8324017_n.jpg

defcrew
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Whew...read this whole thread. A full half of these famous people I have never heard of--from under my rock. Opened for SRV, Iggy Pop, Ga Satelites and met all those folks. SRV was on my 25th birthday and he had not yet released TX Flood or the Bowie album. He did two sets in a small club in B'ham, AL. Very nice guy. we ate his BBQ and drank his liquor. A couple years later he played a Record bar convention at which my ex-drummer was invited as a store manager. He asked Stevie if he remembered us. He said he thought for a minute and then said, "Oh yeah....them boys could drink!" He played two sets and there might have been 100 people there tops. At the time I recall being more impressed that Shannon had played with Johnny Winter. It was nice in that era to see lead guitar driven music...it seemed like guitar texturists were in vogue then.
Dan Baird used my telecaster all night as his was broken somehow. He used really heavy gauge strings apparently and kept breaking my 10s all night. The orginal guitarist from Blondie's band played with Iggy. Iggy was a polite fellow. also met all of REM on a few occasions...Warner Hodges from the Nashville Scorchers. Met Robert Palmer and Mick Fleetwood back stage at a concert. But really Iggy is the only one I consider a "rock star."

smilefan
02-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Bought Lemmy Kilminster a drink in a dive bar in Hollywood.
He was a kick. Crusty old alky.

Alex Van Halen. Had Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant on
Melrose at the table next to him. Talked to him a bit. He was
a total ass to the servers. Wore a dirty T-shirt when everyone else
was suit and tie (it was a really nice place).

Not a rock star, but close, Ron Jeremy. I was at a front row table next
to him at a Sam Kinison concert where he was sitting with
Bill Gazarri. I was laughing so loud at Sam they called me over for
a drink. Ron was drunk off his ass and funny as hell. More than
willing to answer all my questions about his porn star life.
Gazarri was so coked out of his mind I thought he was going to
die at the table.

TwoTubMan
02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Back in '79 Amos Milburn and I were next door neighbors at a Houston rehab hospital after he had his second above the knee amputation due to diabetes. My (then) girlfriend used to smuggle him his Kools in and hide them from the nurses. One of the sweetest people I've ever met. I had an 8-track player in my room, and he'd come by every other day and ask to listen to a Fats Domino tape I had.

White Cluster
02-04-2010, 12:52 AM
My first star encounter was with Ace Frehley at a small music store in Bridgeport, Ct.It was just me,him and the owner shooting the shit and trading licks for an hour..I was in my infancy as a player and was nervous to boot so I'm sure I was awful.He was encouraging and very cool.

Met Keith Richards at a dive bar in Southport.I was wasted though(or was he :/)
I met James Taylor and Conan O'Brien at the G.W Inn in Washington Depot.
I've also met Doug,Ty and Jerry from King's X numerous times after their gigs here.Great guys.

crazydiamond13
02-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Met Henry Rollins on one of his spoken word tours. Very gracious, signed autographs for everyone, nice guy. A lot shorter than I had thought. I talked to Jeff Martin from the Tea Party on the phone.

vkennedy
02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
My band opened for Jeff Healey in Oshawa, Ontario in about 1990 or 91. A different band I was in almost opened for Bob Marley in 1979. I was an articling student in a law firm in Toronto, and one day a lady walked into my office and said "Hello, I'm Rita Marley, and I'd like you to arrange a concert for my husband." (The receptionist always sent the nut cases to the articling student). It turned out she was in fact Rita Marley, so I booked Maple Leaf Gardens for the concert. On one visit she said "Bob will need an opening act, do you know anyone?". I said, "I play in a band," so she said "OK, you can do it." The other band members didn't want to, but I got free tickets and a backstage pass anyway.

vkennedy
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
The chief says to the stranger, "If you want to join our tribe, you have to pass three tests: first, you have to drink a bottle of whiskey. Second, you have to make love to an Indian woman. Third, you have to wrestle a bear."

The stranger drinks the bottle, then staggers out into the wilderness. A few hours later he returns, bruised, bloody and bedraggled, and says, "OK, now where's this woman I'm supposed to wrestle?"

Bleak
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I've met a LOT of cool people, all through work.

Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, Andy Wood, Mattias IA Eklundh.

Got more coming in on the way, too!

rickwil61
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I met Johnny Winter at the Winter Park Blues Festival a couple of years back. Jeff, a friend of mine is a cop and was on assignment at the Denver Airport and helped them to find a close parking spot, on a different occassion a few months prior to the show, because Johnny is pretty frail. The manager told him to stop in and say hi the next time they're in town.

So we're backstage at the Blues Festival and we go over and knock on the door of his RV. The manager remembers Jeff and invites us in and there's Johnny sitting at the table. He nods and acknowledges us but doesn't say hardly anything. Man he was so frail looking that it looked like it was all he could do to sit there. He autographed our passes for us and when he signed them he stuck his head about 3 inches off the top of the table just so he could see what he was writing. It was pretty sad really.

So we left and Johnny came out later. They helped him to the stage to find his seat and I'm thinking this is going to be terrible because the guy can hardly get around, so how's he going to perform? To my amazement when the music started so did Johnny and I'll tell you the guy can still play and sing! His voice is still pretty clear and he still plays pretty pretty well too. He did a good show that day and I was impressed. What seemed like a frail skeleton of a man backstage came to life when he was on stage. I later told Jeff that if I was in his position I would rather do what he is doing than rot in a nursing home somewhere. At least he still gets to enjoy doing something that he loves.

J.T. Guitar
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I met Johnny Winter at the Winter Park Blues Festival a couple of years back. Jeff, a friend of mine is a cop and was on assignment at the Denver Airport and helped them to find a close parking spot, on a different occassion a few months prior to the show, because Johnny is pretty frail. The manager told him to stop in and say hi the next time they're in town.

So we're backstage at the Blues Festival and we go over and knock on the door of his RV. The manager remembers Jeff and invites us in and there's Johnny sitting at the table. He nods and acknowledges us but doesn't say hardly anything. Man he was so frail looking that it looked like it was all he could do to sit there. He autographed our passes for us and when he signed them he stuck his head about 3 inches off the top of the table just so he could see what he was writing. It was pretty sad really.

So we left and Johnny came out later. They helped him to the stage to find his seat and I'm thinking this is going to be terrible because the guy can hardly get around, so how's he going to perform? To my amazement when the music started so did Johnny and I'll tell you the guy can still play and sing! His voice is still pretty clear and he still plays pretty pretty well too. He did a good show that day and I was impressed. What seemed like a frail skeleton of a man backstage came to life when he was on stage. I later told Jeff that if I was in his position I would rather do what he is doing than rot in a nursing home somewhere. At least he still gets to enjoy doing something that he loves.

That was a good day!

Jim Jones
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood in 1989 at the Four Seasons in Boston. Tiny, all of them! I was too awestruck to do anything but stammer and stare. I was there with Jimmy Miller, who introduced us. (Jimmy, RIP, produced Let It Bleed, Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, I believe.)

Wow! It'd be cool to meet the Stones but I would love to have met Jimmy Miller! He produced some of my favourite albums of all time.

The Stones albums he worked on were their very best in my opinion and you gotta love the Spencer Davis/Traffic stuff as well. How did you meet Jimmy?

drod2045
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I've met a LOT of cool people, all through work.

Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, Andy Wood, Mattias IA Eklundh.

Got more coming in on the way, too!

cool job! if you dont mind, where do you work and are they hiring? ;)

Fendegibs
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I met James Hetfield at Rock n Roll Vintage Guitars in Lincoln Square in Chicago...the only people in the store were James, his tech or manager (unsure exactly), a couple guys at RNR Vintage, my wife and I. He was checking out a couple vintage Gibson Explorers and played a Divided by 13 amp. Pretty awesome private concert!

Moe45673
02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I was at a bar about a 5 minute drive north of Toronto back in 2004 (I was 23). Jeremy Taggert (sp?), drummer from Our Lady Peace was there. I was pretty drunk, but he was a really nice guy who spoke to a group of us for about 20 minutes. I told him I loved the drumming on Starseed and he was really appreciative, though he kept trying to speak about their more current stuff (which I'm not a fan of).

Pretty funny, but a good humble guy who struck me as a real pro in terms of how he viewed his craft

reno88
02-05-2010, 01:19 PM
a buddy and i met keith furgeson (original bassist, fab t-birds) while he was standing outside the satellite lounge in houston. this was not long before he died. we got to yakking about this and that and somehow the conversation led to tattoos. i have a couple (not visible) and my buddy has none (that i know of), so i don't know why the conversation went there. anyway keith had quite a few. he was discussing the tats on his head covered up by his hair. he then invited me and my buddy to look for them. so we did. we were cracking up! we were parting his hair, moving him to the light, etc. "is that it? no...no. i don't see it." afterwards we parted with him we said, "dude, we were looking for tats on keith furgeson's head just now!" what a trip. nice guy.

hangten
02-05-2010, 01:25 PM

dude!:aok

westex
02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Not a big star, but me and my wife shot the sh1t before a show with Jack Ingram. Nice guy. Supposed to be country music, but Frenchie, the guitar player plays every Chuck Berry/Keef lick known to man.

50calexplorer
02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
My friend and I went to the Dethlok concert with Mastodon and High on Fire. And we went ot the Ambassador Hotel before for a few drinks and sitting at the corner of the bar was Brent Hinds of Mastodon and Matt Pike of High on Fire.

We bought them both drinks and sat and talked about all kinds of stuff from Brent hanging out with Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden and driving around with Danny Carey of Tool blackouted drunk in his Lamborghini (sp?), To Matt hanging out with the guys form Corrosion of Conformity and and some interesting stories about Kerry King of Slayer. The best stories involved Lemmy Kilmster.

Eventually I got around to talking about their gear and bands we all loved.

It was an amazing experience and it only cost me around 15 bucks for the white russians and Spotted Cow beer.

Asimauve
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
When the Triplettes de Belleville won an Oscar in 2003 I remember looking at Sylvain Chomet and asking him, does this make us famous ?

To which he answered : No

Kief
02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Met Phil Collins in 2006, working at a golf course for the summer. I'm a huge Genesis fan. It was a great experience.

We talked for a few minutes about Genesis and Brand X. Dana Tyler, his girlfriend, asked me my favorite Genesis tune. I thought about it for a second, and answered with the Battle of Epping Forrest. Haha! Phil laughed and said I was making him feel quite old, talking about a song from 1973.

Then he said "Well, the guys and I are getting back together..." and talked about that for a while, confirming the rumor that was brewing at the time.

They were there for the week, so I saw them over the next few days. It was great!

davess23
02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I've met at least a few "rock stars" over the years but the best time I had with a famous player (not sure this guy qualifies as a rock star, although he's a great guitarist) was drinking beer with John Renbourn after his set at the Old Vienna in Westborough, MA in the mid-1980's. Great guy, zero "I'm famous" issues, and witty and funny as all hell.

mediocreplayer
02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
How did I forget! I met Renbourn too after a show in Cambridge, MA! Great guy and ridiculously talented.

fretless
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Met Phil Collins in 2006, working at a golf course for the summer. I'm a huge Genesis fan. It was a great experience.

We talked for a few minutes about Genesis and Brand X. Dana Tyler, his girlfriend, asked me my favorite Genesis tune. I thought about it for a second, and answered with the Battle of Epping Forrest. Haha! Phil laughed and said I was making him feel quite old, talking about a song from 1973.

Then he said "Well, the guys and I are getting back together..." and talked about that for a while, confirming the rumor that was brewing at the time.

They were there for the week, so I saw them over the next few days. It was great!

That's a great story! You must have been pinching yourself all week.

Renardm
02-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Met Nuno Bettencourt while I was working at my job(retail store) during my Christmas break from school. This was at the height of "More Than Words". He pulled up in his corvette while I was waiting for a ride so I walked up to him and shook his hand and told him I loved his band. When I asked him why he was there he said he was with his brother. Was nice and approachable.

Blanket Jackson
02-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I met Curtis Mayfield when I was 7 or 8 yrs old. Somehow Dad had an in, and we hung out with Curtis & the band as they smoked a doobie before the show. Really sweet guy, real sincere and humble, and honestly seemed to care what a knot headed kid had to say. Be at peace, Curtis.

Also met Son Seals one night at a bar in Northampton, MA. He was a mean drunk, boy. Be at peace, Son.

abearse
02-11-2010, 09:03 AM
i used to run the stage security at the cape cod colleseum and at the time it was like a dream come true.i had a full time job and a friend who managed the place asked me to help him out.i met a lot of artists and can only recall acouple of jerks that i won't mention but i had to have direct contact with them all.after my first season i ended up running the in house sound system but was never able to do any bootlegging,oh well.

mcjt
02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
i bumped into Lou Reed on 7th and 56th (beside carnegie) at 7h30 in the morning. we were the only people on the corner and i was dying to say, Mr. Fairbanks, i am a big fan!" but i didn't.
Then this tourist and his wife came up behind us (you know, the kind with white sneakers, is very overweight and has his belly hanging below his golf shirt?) and bellowed: 'Hey Lou! how you doin?'
and Reed totally ignored him.

frank62
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
My drummer was in Head East and With Jerry Decette. My B3 man was with Albert King.