PDA

View Full Version : Finish crack in polyurethane - How to repair???

mgarrison99
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I recently bought a used Epiphone Zephyr Regent jazz box, and found two very thin hairline cracks in the polyurethane finish right by the nut where you would hang the guitar. There doesn't appear to be a crack in the wood, but I can feel the cracks in the finish when I'm playing open chords.

Now the question... Is there a way I can fill or "melt out" these cracks? Can I put a heat gun on it and make the poly crack melt into itself? I've also heard Crazy Glue and wetsanding will get them out, but I'm not experienced in guitar repair and don't want to be sanding on the finish.

I'll probably take it to a professional to have it fixed, but would value anyone's opinions on how they would go about this repair. I can post some pics when I get back into town.

Thanks for your help!!!

Bob V
07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
You're afraid to touch it up with glue and sand it out - but you're willing to hit it with a heat gun and blister all the finish off? Finishes can be repaired - take it to a tech and the crack can be drop-filled and buffed out. Besides only an experienced tech can tell you if there are any other problems besides a surface crack - sometimes there is trauma there.

Long2Play
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
No heat gun!! The heat can cause glue to come loose and cause WAY too many issues besides melting the finish. Have a pro do a glue fill, sand and buff out. It will look great.

daddyo
07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd use gel Crazy Glue and fill the cracks with drops until it is level, then sand just the repair with 600-1000 grit wet paper.

mgarrison99
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.