PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Cable Known to Reduce Noise...Please help!

Stratman76
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I am on a quest for guitar cable that is primarily and particularly adept at noise rejection. This would be a well-shielded, least microphonic beast that can reject EMI and RFI more far effectively than the common cable.

Have you had any experience where you switched cables and noticed some noise reduction? I play some high gain and that simply magnifies this issue. So, noise rejection is primary and capacitance is secondary.

My dream is to keep this cost at somewhere under $60 for a 10 footer.
The candidates thus far are:

Sommer XXL
Sommer GrindyCop (seems very "shielding-oriented")
Lava ELC
Death Valley Cables (Custom Belden CBI cable uses stranded copper shield instead of braided - am I looking at the right shielding element?)
DiMarzio ?
Whirlwind Accusonic 1+ Leader Standard

Mogami Gold cables have not cut it in my environment.

Please share both your experiences and wisdom.

Flyin' Brian
08-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Since you mentioned his product, talk to Mark at Lava Cables...there's no better resource on TGP. FWIW I found a significant difference in noise when I switched the cables on my board to Lava ELC.

http://www.lavacable.com (http://www.lavacable.com/)

guitardr
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Since you mentioned his product, talk to Mark at Lava Cables...there's no better resource on TGP. FWIW I found a significant difference in noise when I switched the cables on my board to Lava ELC.

http://www.lavacable.com (http://www.lavacable.com/)

Not only is Mark a good source of info, but he has a good article on the matter from a few years ago (Vintage Guitar shoot-out?) on his site. GP had a really informative shoot-out/rating thing on cables a month or two back. I have used Tara Labs, Klotz, Van Den Hul, Mogami, Monster and Evidence: it is all quite subjective. Let your ears & wallet dictate what you want/need. But one thing's for sure: take care of your cable - no tight coiling or crimps (use the lariat technique).:)

Dog Boy
08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm no cable expert. I haven't tried very many but when I bought an Allessandro I was amazed at the noise rejection. Pricey tho.

Stratman76
08-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I spoke with Mark some time ago... with noise rejection being my primary objective, he recommended (in order):

1) Vovox (very expensive)
2) Zaolla (still not very kind on the wallet)
3) a tie with Lava ELC and Evidence Lyric HG (insanely expensive)

of this list, only the ELC is practical (and quite low capacitance)

Since then, he has added the Sommer GrindyCop and the XXL might be a new addition as well.

theatomicjeff
08-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Mogami Gold cables have not cut it in my environment.

A big +1 from me. I get every bit of floor noise from the Mogami Golds as I do from the cheap freebies you get from GC. Talk at the Tom Anderson board says that the new Elixir guitar cables are really great; that's what Tom is now using. That will be my next guitar cable.

MaxBoogie
08-02-2008, 09:45 AM
What a great cable reference... thanks for posting! I've always been a believer in the physics of cables, but didn't realize how many "level 3 suppliers" there were out there!

FWIW I now use Elixir cables and noticed a signicicant difference from my essentially no-name GC cables.

jlagrassa
08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
My Fulltone cables are the least microphonic cable I have tried, no floor noise at all!

Stratman76
08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Updated candidates thus far are (in the "under-$60-for-a-10-footer" class):

Sommer XXL
Sommer GrindyCop (seems very "shielding-oriented")
Lava ELC
Death Valley Cables (Custom Belden CBI cable uses stranded copper shield instead of braided - am I looking at the right shielding element?)
DiMarzio ?
Whirlwind Accusonic 1+ Leader Standard
Klotz La Grange
Fulltone Gold - based on Klotz cable? (very little is mentioned about shielding)

Stratman76
08-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Mark just updated me on this subject...

Gepco XB20UB is $31.95 for ten footer at Lava Cable. It's double-shielded and it's rated capacitance is 22.3 pF/ft. SWEET! I've not heard of these before? But...I've got to try a few!

And, at $47.75 for a ten footer, Lava ELC fits here as another well-shielded option with an even better capacitance rating.

Stratman76
08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Also...

The Sommer Spirit XXL sports a double copper spiral shield with rated capacitance of 26.8pf/ft. ($40.95 for a 10 footer)