PDA

View Full Version : Spirit in the Sky Fuzz

krisharmony
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
So what pedal does this? I know some of you hate these threads but I don't care cause I think this sound is awesome. I listened to a lot of Sun Face clips and I didn't think any got close to it. Here's a reminder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ET8zhjeYMs&feature=related

Love that sound.

Philly Fuzz
08-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Well, I don't know what Greenbaum originally used for that recording, but i'm pretty confident that the Analog Man Peppermint Fuzz could get you pretty darn close.

Great pedal, I still kick myself for selling it (needed money). I will definitely get another one when finances allow.

krisharmony
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Did you get that kindof sputtering sound with it?

I think NG used a homemade fuzz of some sort.

jackaroo
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think that Norman played the part...I think it was a session guy with a Les Paul and some fuzz-

Philly Fuzz
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Did you get that kindof sputtering sound with it?

Definitely gets the sputtering sound! The bias knob actually allows you to smooth out (to an extent) or increase the sputtering. It can get real raw, blown speaker sounding.

Maybe some others will second this or have other opinions, but I really think you'll like the Peppermint Fuzz if you like that Spirit in the Sky sound even if it doesn't exactly nail it....

socal63
08-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't think that Norman played the part...I think it was a session guy with a Les Paul and some fuzz-

Norman plays the main re-occuring riff throughout the song (i think he had a nickname back in the late 60's of "the fuzz king"), his lead guitarist (at the time) does the soloing on the song along with the les paul toggle on/off lick. norman had a friend of his install a fuzz circuit into his telecaster, hes made mention that he thought this person might have built it himself. if you look at the video on youtube closely you can see some knobs on his teles pickguard near the lower horn. theres a fair chance the fuzz is actually a slightly modified jordan bosstone.

the reason there is so much speculation and not to many facts is that norman didnt know what actually was put in his tele, the tele was stolen during touring in support of the song/album after its recording, and i believe norman either lost track of his friend over the years or hes deceased.

its one of my 3 favorite guitar tones every recorded. :hiP

woof*
08-07-2008, 12:45 AM
from wiki:
Greenbaum recorded his first solo album with Jacobsen for Reprise Records. The song's arrangement came together in the studio in San Francisco where lead guitarist Russell DaShiell, bass player, Doug Killmer and drummer Norman Mayall worked with Greenbaum. According to one source[3] , Greenbaum himself used a Fender Telecaster with a fuzz box built into the body to generate the song's characteristic guitar sound. However, elsewhere guitarist Russell DaShiell[4] explained how the tone was created:
"I actually played the lead guitar parts on Spirit, using a 61-62 SG Les Paul, a 68 Marshall Plexi 100w half stack and a home-made overdrive box in front of the Marshall. Regarding the 'beep beeps' as I call them, when the producer asked me to play some fills in between the verses, as a joke I said how about something spacey like this and I did the pickup switch/string bending thing. I saw him stand up in the control booth and he said "that's it! let's record that!" so we did. (There was no slide involved, just my fingers, and I used the bridge humbucker and the pickup switch). The fuzz part is Norman with a built-in overdrive circuit built into his Tele pickguard."
"I've been asked a lot over the years how I did the 'beep beep' guitar parts on Spirit, so for any guitar players out there who would like to learn how, try the following: Using a 2-pickup Gibson, set the neck pickup volume to zero, bridge pickup volume to max, with the pickup switch in the middle position (with Gibson wiring this gives you silence in the middle position). Do a string bend, picking the B & E strings together with one hit, just ahead of the beat, then use the pickup switch to kick in the bridge pickup in triplets (6 per bar) as you let the B string bend down two frets."
"I mainly used two positions on Spirit, which is in the key of A. For the low position, fret a stationary C note (8th fret) on the E string while bending the B string up to an A note for your starting-position, then pick the two strings together once while the guitar is silent and work the pickup switch as you let the A note bend downwards to a G. For the high position, do the same thing at the 15th fret holding a stationary high G note on the E string while bending down from E to D on the B string."
"I must give credit to Jimi Hendrix as my inspiration for this technique (as well as for the double-string riffs I did at the beginning of the Spirit solo tail section). I saw him perform live in a small club in Madison, Wisconsin and loved the way he used his Strat pickup switch to create staccato feedback on songs like Voodoo Child. The difference is, on a Gibson you can start from silence and create the on/off effect, which worked well with the downward string bending thing I did on Spirit."[5]

so who knows?

dividedsky
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000

CryBaby
08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
I have an old Morley Power Wah/Fuzz.

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/amps_and%20_effects/Morley_PWF_web_small.jpg

I think that with Your guitar's tone rolled off, You might get close with one of those.

Garage Dog
08-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Check out the vid at the 4 minute mark.It sounds convincing:phones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15CROjPbddA

jb1911
08-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000

Exactly what I was thinking.:RoCkIn

StompBoxBlues
08-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Interesting info in this thread. I too always have loved all the guitar sounds in that song.

I recently found an old (my first) fuzz I had from the 70's. It was "point-to-point" wired (the leads of all components into a big ball of electronics) little red fuzz box, no strompwitch but a slider on-off...I tried it out and oh my god....Instant "Spirit in the sky" with the guitar vol up, and cleaned up better than any fuzz I have with guitar vol down.

I started trying to see about rehousing with a footswitch, but rethought and decided if I use it on my board I'm just gonna use a looper for it. Don't want to touch it.

That said (as it wasn't much help) I think the Fuzz Factory can get that sound. I also think maybe one of the MI fuzzes (either the GI Fuzz or the Neo) might be able to do it.

krisharmony
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Check out the vid at the 4 minute mark.It sounds convincing:phones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15CROjPbddA

I really like this one. That's actually the only setting I cared for on this video but then again I figure if I'm going to get a Spirit in the Sky fuzz it's probably going to be a one trick pony anyway.

Dave
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I also think maybe one of the MI fuzzes (either the GI Fuzz or the Neo) might be able to do it.
The MI Audio Neo will do it. Dialing the bias control down makes it sputtery/splatty.

Moe45673
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Interestingly, although his one hit "Spirit in the Sky" is considered by many to be a Jesus rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_rock) song with a heavily Christian theme, Greenbaum was and still is a practicing Jew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew). He was inspired to write (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write) the song after observing a country musician (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_musician) singing a song about a preacher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher) on television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television).

Ahhh. Wondered about that.

Great info on a great song in this thread!

Groovey Records
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Subject: Re: Spirit in the Sky
Date: February 23, 2008 3:51:20 PM EST
To: grooveyrecords@earthlink.net

Thanks for writing.
The fuzz guitar wasn't tuned down.
The fuzz itself was a custom built one, not available commercially, but I am working on it.
The wah wah was just on lead and I really can't tell you how he did his riffs, as they were his. I played the fuzz.
As odd as it may seem, I am sworn to secrecy by the producer in terms of sharing any details of the mix. He owns it, he gives the orders.
Sorry about that.
I suggest just keep trying with the equipment you have. I understand that there are amps that have modeling and emulate many others, such as a Fender G DEC 30. Try it out at a store first.
Good luck.

Norman Greenbaum

krisharmony
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Subject: Re: Spirit in the Sky
Date: February 23, 2008 3:51:20 PM EST
To: grooveyrecords@earthlink.net

Thanks for writing.
The fuzz guitar wasn't tuned down.
The fuzz itself was a custom built one, not available commercially, but I am working on it.
The wah wah was just on lead and I really can't tell you how he did his riffs, as they were his. I played the fuzz.
As odd as it may seem, I am sworn to secrecy by the producer in terms of sharing any details of the mix. He owns it, he gives the orders.
Sorry about that.
I suggest just keep trying with the equipment you have. I understand that there are amps that have modeling and emulate many others, such as a Fender G DEC 30. Try it out at a store first.
Good luck.

Norman Greenbaum

That's awesome.

DonneR
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Ahhh. Wondered about that.

Great info on a great song in this thread!

yeah much like Mark Knopfler on 'Money for Nothin', overhearing a couple workers watchin a TV... more in the third person....

DonneR
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I nailed this tone a few years ago with a Pignose preamp out into a Pro Reverb - same sputter pattern, same sustain/EQ

the Pignose was invented in 1969

Spirit was recorded in 1969

Ive always wondered if a proto Pignose was under that pickguard

the pignose runs on batteries like a fuzz and the fuzz changes depending on the strength of the batteries......

also if the 'fuzz' was under the guard it may have been wired directly to the pickup before hitting the controls, like Garcias pickup>rack. guitar controls set up ......a more immiediate attack

anyway I have wanted to rebox the pignose circuit into a floor box and call it 'Pig Guts' ..... :RoCkIn

doctorx
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Since there weren't that many types of fuzz circuits around back then, I would think a good Fuzz Face or Vox Tonebender would do the trick. The Plex is probably just as important to the final result.

It certainly was a killer tone.

DonneR
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
hmmmmm

here you go

I havent tried this but ~~~~

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pignose-Piggy-In-A-Box-Pedal-159810-i1124954.gc?buildkit=1

spiritguitar
08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
To clear up a few facts:

• I didn't use a wah wah on Spirit In The Sky -- Norman's memory may be a bit 'fuzzy' regarding the day we recorded it -- or he was jiving in his email reply -- he has a great sense of humor and often spreads misinformation in the 'spirit' of fun (all puns intended)

• Norman's Tele was not stolen on tour when Spirit was a hit -- I did the tour with him -- he sold it many years later.

• Norman's fuzz was not a pignose prototype -- it was a home made fuzz circuit -- I can't recall exactly the guy's name who made it -- I think it was Tom Robinson -- my memory is also a bit fuzzy on that point.

Cheers

Moe45673
08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
wow, the horses mouth itself!

Dude, I've always found that little riff thingie between verses to be perfect. Always reminded me of a passing train. Kinda funny, I'm 27 and have been a fan of the song since I was a little kid.:AOK

DonneR
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
To clear up a few facts:

• I didn't use a wah wah on Spirit In The Sky -- Norman's memory may be a bit 'fuzzy' regarding the day we recorded it -- or he was jiving in his email reply -- he has a great sense of humor and often spreads misinformation in the 'spirit' of fun (all puns intended)

• Norman's Tele was not stolen on tour when Spirit was a hit -- I did the tour with him -- he sold it many years later.

• Norman's fuzz was not a pignose prototype -- it was a home made fuzz circuit -- I can't recall exactly the guy's name who made it -- I think it was Tom Robinson -- my memory is also a bit fuzzy on that point.

Cheers

What were the circumstances of the circuit being built into the guitar ??

Jason Lynn
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Russell is the man.

spiritguitar
08-07-2008, 12:17 PM
What were the circumstances of the circuit being built into the guitar ??

Norman already had it in his Tele when we got together for the project. It's basically like any mod any guitar player would do with his gear -- he knew a guy who did mods and he wanted a fuzz built into his Tele. It was before Spirit was written and recorded -- just a basic gear mod.

I used a fuzz box built by a guy in Wisconsin -- it was just some home made circuitry mounted in a metal box with no lid, wires literally spilling out on the floor cause it cut in and out -- had to tweak it till it worked then not touch it. Very high tech (not).

FloridaSam
08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
awesome thread! I too have loved that song and fuzztone since I was a little kid. So cool to hear about it from the source.

BrunoM
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought it was a Jordon Bosstone................

spiritguitar
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll spill another little-known fact. Norman used a capo on the F# fret for his rhythm fuzz part, playing an open G-type position in the key of A. That's what gave it that loping feel with the up beat notes in between the fuzz downbeats.

JUSTJOB
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I'll spill another little-known fact. Norman used a capo on the F# fret for his rhythm fuzz part, playing an open G-type position in the key of A. That's what gave it that loping feel with the up beat notes in between the fuzz downbeats.

Thanks for this tip! I just want to say also that I really enjoy your and Normans song quite a bit, with it's great sound,tones, and texture.

bloodlemons
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Ashbass FUZZbrite will get you there...

pear gage
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
One of the definitive fuzz tones for sure. I always considered it a tongue in cheek song about some peoples fairy tale-like concept of the afterlife. Thats why it's even more funny/ ironic when people embrace it as a "worship" song.

imjustadrummer
08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I agree that the tone sounds like a Jordan Bosstone...

my Barber Trifecta will pull off some similar sounds...

socal63
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
One of the definitive fuzz tones for sure. I always considered it a tongue in cheek song about some peoples fairy tale-like concept of the afterlife. Thats why it's even more funny/ ironic when people embrace it as a "worship" song.

Actually, its fairly scripturally accurate from a christian theology standpoint. the only real lines in it that do not jive are the ones "never been a sinner, ive never sinned" Whether or not norman set out just out of jest to write a song cause he heard people on tv writing these kind of songs, he ended up with a fairly scripturally accurate song.

socal63
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
To clear up a few facts:

Cheers

We'll have to chalk up the stolen tele story to a Norman lie. the info came from an online interview that he gave to someone years ago, he stated this himself.

The Tom Robinson name sounds familiar.

DonneR
08-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Interesting, so its capoed at the 2 nd fret and then tuned to an open chord ...

even more John Lee Hooker 'Boogie Chillin'' ish

I think Albert Collins does something similar but up on the 7th fret or something ....

Is there a good video of you guys playing it live ( I cant check at the moment ) ??

DonneR
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Actually, its fairly scripturally accurate from a christian theology standpoint. the only real lines in it that do not jive are the ones "never been a sinner, ive never sinned" Whether or not norman set out just out of jest to write a song cause he heard people on tv writing these kind of songs, he ended up with a fairly scripturally accurate song.

right , Sins washed away- nnnever happened:banana

remember Jesus was a jew

was reading and saw it was Porter Wagner that he was watching and got inspired by .... of course Porter was inspired by Dolly:drool

Lolaviola
08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
"Foreverland, I'd love to take you there
There's a place where time stands steee-ee-eel
Where everyone beleives it wee-ee-eel
Most everyday the sun will shah-ah-ine
It's a town lahk yours and mah-ah ine"

Love it

NewarkWilder
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
from owning a cream puff im not sure if that'd really do it... too nice a sound for that ripping velcro flavor

heres my recommendation--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGG6Oy3iCFU

Jason Lynn
08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I have a Vintage Fuzz Master...it's cool but it's an Octave Fuzz. I can't picture mine reproing Norman's fuzz tone - at least through my rig. No offense..just my 2 cents.

NewarkWilder
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
you can dial it in for a flatter non-octave tone but i see your point

we're talking about a nice harsh ripping fuzz here though so i bet one of the devi pedals would cover it nicely... cherry pop, US, soda meiser... torn's peaker, something like that

anxiousmofo
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
this thread is the goods.

socal63
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
you can dial it in for a flatter non-octave tone but i see your point

we're talking about a nice harsh ripping fuzz here though so i bet one of the devi pedals would cover it nicely... cherry pop, US, soda meiser... torn's peaker, something like that

No, i dont think the torns peaker can do it... i dont think any pedal that starves the transistors with bias or voltage will do it either (get you in the general neighborhood maybe, but not near enough), Norman didnt have that for #1, #2 - when pedals like that do the sputter gating its gating the whole signal, normans fuzz had a solid signal when he was playing lighter, and when he pop a string loud it sounded like it pushed the transitors over the top, almost like there were 2 raspy trannys that were soldered together side by side... im not an electronics guy, just trying to rationalize the sound i hear. Obviously Norman was picking lightly at the lower end of the signal level and then would hit notes at volume and you would get that rasp jumping out at you, its was an extremely attack responsive fuzz.

Ed Reed
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
this thread is the goods.

I've been reading as that tone is one I've always admired. Cool song all the way around and it's stood the test of time. That said, I wanted to thank the guys who really know for sharing here.

seiko
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Interesting, so its capoed at the 2 nd fret and then tuned to an open chord ...

I read it as capoed at the second and using an open G chord shape.

Prof.Fuzz
08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Ashbass FUZZbrite will get you there...

That was my first thought to this tone question too.

socal63
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
That was my first thought to this tone question too.

nope, has a fuzz texture/tone a little like it, doesnt have the touch sensitivity nor breakup of normans.

Groovey Records
08-08-2008, 04:20 AM
sworn to secrecy wins again

H.P. Lovecraft
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd suggest either a Mosrite FuzzRite or the clone by AshBass.

DonneR
08-17-2008, 10:39 PM
heheheheh

I had a filling replaced at the dentist last week and near the end of the ordeal in the middle of some deep grinding --- what do I hear come over the office music ===I opened an eye to look around and saw water flying and made up my own words to take my mind off ~~~~~ goin up to the spit in the sky ~ I hate it when it drops in my eye ........

and Im picturing the pickup selector being ridden for t hat riff...... strange and funny........:AOK

bandofthieves™
08-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Years ago I used a Pignose pre-amped in to a Fender SR for that sound. Don't know if they still make those..