PDA

View Full Version : :::Pre Amp Out - Power Amp In Question:::

TheBlackCrayon
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I've been playing guitar for over 16 years and to this day I have never fooled around with the pre amp out and power amp in jacks on my guitar amps. I play a Fender 4x10 Hot Rod Deville. What are these jacks exactly for, what are my options as far as what I can do with them. I appreciate the help.

NaylorStrat
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Those are just fancy terms for an effects loop. You run the Preamp out into your effects pedals, then plug the output of your effects into the Power amp in.

TheBlackCrayon
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Those are just fancy terms for an effects loop. You run the Preamp out into your effects pedals, then plug the output of your effects into the Power amp in.

Cool, thanks bro. What is the difference between running your pedals this way as opposed to straight into the amp jacks? Is the sound quality better?

NaylorStrat
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Depends on taste mostly, but distortion/overdrive pedals and filter pedals like wahs usually sound better in front of the amp. Time based effects like reverb and delay usually sound better in the effects loop.

bbrunskill
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Delay, chorus and reverb sound better in the effects loop if you use amp distortion.

Guitar
v
Delay/'verb
v
Preamp distortion
v
Poweramp

In a setup like this, the delay will sound very grainy and overpowering. Might be kinda cool but mainly just will sound messy.

When you go:

Guitar
v
Preamp Distortion
v
Delay/ 'verb
v
Poweramp

The delays will sound far clearer and cleaner.

If you use a clean amp sound, it won't make a huge difference.