PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira Amps Texosound Bernie--Lengthy Initial Thoughts

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stringmaster
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I just took delivery of my Texosound Bernie 15, handbuilt by Anthony (Tony) Teixeira in Toronto. I've pretty much sworn off buying gear sight unseen, but decided to take a chance on this one. There have been some recent threads about the legendary "Bernie" amps, namely the one used extensively by Colin Cripps, and this amp is essentially a sonic replica of that amp. The way I understand it is that no two Bernie amps were alike, and Colin really favored the #1 that he is typically seen with. I have admired his tone, and had some correspondence with Colin, who gave the Texosound a thumbs up. I had some hesitation as my style is much different (I primarily an old school Blues player), but I figured that an amp modeled after one constructed of parts from an old Filmosound projector, endorsed by a well respected tone freak (Colin), sounded like something I needed to try, to help fill a void in my aresenal for a "smaller" amp. After I had the first phone contact with Tony, I got a really good vibe, and placed my order.

On to the amp:
I've only had it a few days, so these are just my initial impressions:
The amp sounds way bigger than it is, and just for kicks, I played it next to my Tweed Pro Jr., with similar specs (on paper), and the Bernie was way fatter, fuller, and toneful. There are strong overtones in the amp, and the notes kind of swell as they sustain, which I love. There is a decent amount of headroom, but the breakup is different than what I expected--I described it to my friend as "smooth". The transition from clean to break up tone is very gradual, and the amp never mushes out or gets "fuzzy" sounding. I'm pretty much a died-in-the-wool Fender fanatic for many years, but I've found the 5e3 types don't really work for me, as they break up way too soon, and get full on distorted too fast, which may be some folks cup of tea, but not mine. This amp is not like that. In a way, played clean, the amp reminds me of some old Valco amps that I've owned/played, but it's really it's own thing. From the specs you'd expect something Vox sounding, but the AC15's I played again favor the distorted tones too much for my taste. But I suppose you could coax a Vox flavor from it. Cranked up I hear some vintage Marshall tones in there, I was able to dial in kind of a Beano tone. The two controls (vol,tone) are highly interactive--much more so than any amp I've played. So while it may look like a simple one-trick-pony, there are lots of sounds to be had. I think it's an amp that would appeal to a wide range of players--you could do Jazz on it at low volume, and the rocker stuff as well with it cranked. And I think it's going to be great Blues machine. Oh, it also excelled as a lap steel amp when I tried it briefly, which is what I was hoping.

I also need to mention what a pleasure it was to deal with Tony. He's a fine gentleman, who is passionate about his product. As you would expect, build quality is top notch. He's even got his father in on the action, building cabinets, etc. I ordered mine with a new gray covering that looks like it came out of 1950, which is exactly the vibe I was after. He does a couple of different looks, with the same cab. I also requested pine vs birch ply, and he gladly complied. Tony's communication was excellent, and it was no hassle getting the amp, even though I'm in a different country. He gave me ongoing updates, and sent pics when available. Tony's list of customers is growing rapidly, and many are are quite well known players. I now know why!

You can read about the specs on his website:
www.teixeiraamps.com (http://www.teixeiraamps.com)

Here's some pics of my amp:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3985/imgp3729mf4.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3634/imgp3731qe9.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3730/imgp3734if0.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3505/imgp3737lv5.jpg

Paul86
08-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow!

CitizenCain
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
The design of this amp is based off a Filmosound projector conversion? How cool is that?! :D

canklyde
08-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Thought I would let you know there is in the works a Teixeira "Bernie" signature model coming out in the fall.it will be as exact a copy electronically,dimensionally,as possible of my #1. Anyone interested in details can check with Antonio at his web site.
I have hesitated for quite some time in doing one,but now feel there is a great representation of the amp possible with Tony,and myself at the helm. I will sign,test each amp,and even provide the option to install some NOS premium tubes from my private stash if requested.
Cheers,Colin.

Scottone
08-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Thought I would let you know there is in the works a Teixeira "Bernie" signature model coming out in the fall.it will be as exact a copy electronically,dimensionally,as possible of my #1. Anyone interested in details can check with Antonio at his web site.
I have hesitated for quite some time in doing one,but now feel there is a great representation of the amp possible with Tony,and myself at the helm. I will sign,test each amp,and even provide the option to install some NOS premium tubes from my private stash if requested.
Cheers,Colin.

Hey Colin, does your amp have the EL-84s? The couple of Filmo chassis that I've messed around with had 6V6's.

canklyde
08-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes,my #1 is from a Bell & Howell Filmosound model 385,(Canadian made version) with 2-EL84,2-12AX7,1-EZ81 rectifier.

davidp158
08-31-2008, 11:52 PM
I just got back from Bumbershoot in Seattle. One of the highlights was, no surprise, Kathleen Edwards. She was playing a LP Jr. through one of the "Bernie" combos....that amp loves P-90s, and it was a perfect match for Kathleen's voice and tunes.

Off topic - Colin; I was hoping you'd be onstage with Kathleen at Bumbershoot, but maybe you'll make the trip when she's here in November....please?

cheers,
Dave

Millo 3.1
09-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Hadn't heard of these, love its sound's descriptions

canklyde
09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Thought I would let anyone interested in knowing that the Teixeira Signature Bernie is coming along well and the first batch should be ready in the next month.It will consist of ten amps,each signed and tested by me.As well,these amps will only be available in one distinctive color,with all the electronic and cabinet features of my #1 Bernie. I have the 1st one,and it sounds great,all the right stuff,and honestly WAY more reliable and road worthy than my original. More to come soon,just thought would give a heads up.If you are interested,let Tony know,they are going fast!!

rwe333
09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I understand Martin Newall was involved in the reverse engineering, layout and design of this amp. Talented man...

phsyconoodler
09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice amp to be sure.
But,give credit where credit is due.Martin Newall of Newall amps,reverse engineered the original Bernie amp for Antonio,did the revised chassis and board layout,and de-bugged the entire amp.
You want to check out an incredibly talented amp builder and designer,check out Martin Newall of Markham.He sells amazing amps and often sells at Capsule Music in Toronto.
In fact,his JTM45 clones are the best I have ever seen.He has an 18 watt amp with a VVR control at Capsule for sale right now that is insanely low priced.Guys,you need to check it out.
I am an amp builder in Alberta,but I owe so much to Martin.He is a true proffessional and deserves to be recognized for his HUGE contribution to the BERNIE AMP.
Edit:
I know for fact that Martin reverse engineered the Bernie.Maybe the Songbird guy did it too,but i was there when he did it.And he integrated a trem circuit as well for a later model.
Kanklyde,send me a message if you don't believe me.
End of story!

iggs
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Martin is great! I called him once about an amp I had some questions about.
Went to his home and he spent about an hour and half just looking through the amp, then we chatted some more ... all in his free time. When we were done he didn't want me to pay for anything since no work was needed but I had to give him something, just didn't feel right using up his time like that.

Richards
09-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Antonio is a great guy to do business with, his amps sound amazing, I have had the pleasure to play most of the amp models he has built over the years. He will always take the time (and is generous with his time) to talk to you about his amps; or amps in general. I don;t own a teixeira, but always wanted one, especially his 15 watt (Tex 15) , tremolo on that baby sounds killer. Hey canklyde, anyway to add a trem to that model?
BTW, was a Hamilton resident in the early to mid 90's, aquatances (sp?) with : Velchek, Jessie O, Griffith, Daily.....

rwe333
09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I understand Martin Newall was involved in the reverse engineering, layout and design of this amp. Talented man...

...and of course huge props to Antonio and Colin. Haven't met either of them, though respect their work tremendously.

Richards - I understand a trem version of the Bernie is in the design stage.

canklyde
09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
To set the record straight the ACTUAL reverse engineering on the Bernie was done by Tim Dudley(Songbird Music, Toronto/now closed),as per my #1. There had been a lot of demand/interest up here in Toronto for some time in these amps,and I only trusted Tim to repair or access my gear.He and I reverse engineered the amp about 3 1/2 years ago,along with 2 other Bernie's as a way of figuring out what was going on in it,in case I needed any work done down the road.All 3 were slightly different,with the #1 being the most pronounced to me.
When Antonio approached me about the amp I had already talked to him about making me some cabinets for 2 heads I had,which is what he did.These became the source of inspiration for him to figure out how to do a version of the amp,and this is where Martin Newell came in to help Antonio lay out the chassis design,and disassembling an original Bell & Howell model 385 to reverse engineer the trannies,etc. Martin does great work,but the original work done on figuring out the Bernie circuit was done by Tim.As Tim said,"it is unlike any circuit I have ever seen".
Since we have started with introducing a sig. model,Antonio and I have refined the original circuit diagram done by Tim to exactly match my #1.The problem with these amps is the originals look like a rats nest when you open them up,and no 2 originals seem to have the exact values. When Tim and I went through the 3 we had, a circuit diagram for each was done.

phsyconoodler
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
canklyde,
PM me. I was THERE when Martin did the work on that Bernie amp for Antonio.

coco
09-14-2008, 07:30 PM
When Martin get's involved in a project, it's bound to be good!

TEXAMPS
09-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Guys,

First post!

Thanks for digging my amps.

To set the record strait about the TEXOSOUND Bernie. I got Martin to help me out with the HELL that is a Bernie amp. He is one of my best friends & is a total EXPERT went it comes to getting help with sorting out a total mess & turning it into a living breathing amp. Martin totally helped me out with the first layout but I did a year of work to get this amp to where it is today.

From Martin's rough layout in pencil, I had to redo the drawing & tailor it to my needs (thanks Martin)! I designed everything from the Chassis, eyelet board, art work all the cab drawings, silkscreen, you name it I did it all! I had the transformers broken down & cloned too. I turned the Bernie amp from a rats nest of crap parts into a solid work of art that really works.

Tim did do the first schematic on Colin's #1 but I did not see it till I had made my amps. This is how I can now build the signature of Colin's #1 amp only because Colin let me check out the values in his amp. You have to remember that every Bernie is different.

All I try to do is build the best amps possible using only top notch parts. I think this will give you a better product that will stand the test of time & most importantly sound better.

Anyway hope all who buy my amps really enjoy them because I put my heart & soul into every single one.

PS: Not sure how anyone knows about a tremolo model? I have only made the board. The tremolo pretty much is out of a Matchless and a great old book from Jack Darr. Everyone borrows from everyone else, that is how we get better. The trem values are all tweaked & yes I did ask Martin for some insight about integrating it into my TEXOSOUND Bernie. He helps every Canadian amp builder & many US builders too. I might be the only one that pays him for his expert knowledge (He is an ex Nortel (Northern Electric) wiz)! He also works with me with the volumes of repairs @ Capsule music.

Thank you

Antonio Teixeira
TEX AMPLIFIERS

Stringmaster
09-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Welcome aboard Tony! Being in SoCal I'm quite removed from the entire history behind the Texosound Bernie. Colin was kind enough to correspond with me re the amp, and Tony was, and continues to be more than generous with his time. That was enough to make me "jump". I can vouge for the quality of the amp, and the passion Tony has for his craft is evident as soon as you speak with him, plug in, or crack the amp open.
Dana

Catoogie
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
How much is the Texosound Bernie?

Stringmaster
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
How much is the Texosound Bernie?

I don't like to quote builder's pricing--I would suggest you contact Antonio via his website--I feel his pricing is fair, and within line with other builders--the components are all hand selected, transformers custom made, etc--no corners were cut and it shows!

Gig report:

I've had the Bernie out on two Blues gigs--the first an outdoor patio gig, and the second in a mid-sized club. Honestly, I was a bit concerned that the Bernie wasn't going to have enough power/volume on it's debut gig, as my band's drummer is pretty hard-hitting, and mic'ing up wasn't an option. I also took along my Vibrolux Reverb, with the idea that I could plug into both in stereo, or punt and just use the Vibrolux if that didn't work. Bottom line is that I never turned on the Vibrolux, and played the Bernie for the whole gig. I ended up turning way down from the settings I had dialed in at home. It was quite compatible with my RE-20 Space Echo and Jetter Red that I used for some mild boosting. I played my P90 equipped Collings I35. My feeling is that while the Bernie is rated around 15 watts, it's performance is close to being in line with my 40 watt Vibrolux.

On the second gig, I didn't bring a backup. This Blues band is more traditional, and less of a "Rock" presentation. I didn't use any pedals--just my Strat into Fender reverb tank (although the amp doesn't need much reverb)--and I rode my guitar's volume knob. The amp sounded great, and I got compliments from guitarists all night long (we were anchoring a jam session). No one could believe that it had a 10" speaker, and that so much sound could come out of the little box!

Bottom line is that IMO the Bernie is a professional, gigable piece of gear, who's sound defies it's size. While it's the size of many practice amps, it doesn't perform like one. It doesn't leave me wanting a bigger speaker or more power. There's just somthing magic about how it all works together. Works well with all of my guitars and pedals too. Antonio and Colin have come up with a great amp, that is pretty unique in the market IMO. I understand the client list of notable players is growing all of the time--and that pretty much everyone who hears one wants one. Worth talking with Antonio if you're looking!

dellerton
10-25-2008, 07:39 AM
After hearing Colin play his #1 Bernie amp live about half-a-dozen times and totally loving his sound, I've been looking to get my hands on something like it for a few years now. I stumbled on this thread about a week ago and started corresponding with Antonio and Colin. Together (along with Stringmaster's report) they easily convinced me to sign up for a Colin Cripps Signature Bernie. So I should have one of the #1 clones in a few weeks. I'll report back then.

dellerton
11-22-2008, 08:24 AM
As you can see from the posting above, I ordered a CC Bernie from Tony a few weeks ago. First, let me say that Tony was a dream to work with. He answered all of my initial questions very fast, he sent me pictures, he answered followup questions, and essentially talked me through the whole process. Both he and Colin made me feel like they were designing a custom amp for me.

Now... the amp....

I have seen Colin Cripps play live a bunch of times and his mysterious funky looking Bernie #1 has always sounded like a dream amp to me for the kinds of music I play live. It has just the right amount of EL84 chime combined with a warm, smooth breakup. Here is Colin’s #1:

http://homepage.mac.com/dellerton/filechute/bernie3.jpg

I normally play a BadCat Cub IIR live (and love its tone when it’s opened up), but when we play smaller places (and I have to turn down), I am just not getting the tones I want. I was looking for:

* A small grab-n-go amp (1x10” or 1x12”)
* EL84s
* Smooth, warm, fast breakup (I have a clean amp if I need one)
* Great tone... WITHOUT pedals... at resonable volumes.

When I saw Tony was making a Bernie Amp, I almost pulled the trigger (until I saw this thread).

You can see the normal Bernie Specs here:

http://www.teixeiraamps.com/bernie.html

After reading Colin’s comments here, I immediately fired off an email to Tony asking what the differences were between the regular Bernie and the new Cripps sig model. Here is his reply:

"There is a sonic difference & a few value changes to Colin's signature (his breaks up quicker & has more sustain). Also the signature has a 115/230 switch & the standard is hard wired the voltage you need. Also, you get a tube upgrade. Comes with German RFT EZ81, EL84M mil spec. & better ECC83's. The standard has EH tubes.”

Perfect. I pulled the trigger.

CC Bernie #3 arrived yesterday while I was at work. It was hard concentrating until I got home. ;-)

The amp has just two knobs - volume and tone. I turned her on and waited about 10 minutes to let her warm up. I plugged an older SG in and turned the volume to about 30% and the Tone to about 50%. I strummed an open “G” chord.... whoa. UNBELIEVABLE! This is the tone I had heard in my head for years. Now the SG has fairly hot pickups so the amp was breaking up by then... but that’s what I wanted. As I played a few CC licks (like Edwards’ “In State”), I realized that I was hearing exactly what I wanted to hear without a single thing between me and the amp... perfect! I then proceeded to play for about an hour.. I couldn’t turn it off! I finally put a few pedals in line ( a Holy Grail reverb and an analog delay.. just for fun) and it took them very well. I also (briefly) played a tele through there and a Gretsch DuoJet. You could actually hear the distinct guitar tones very well, all accentuated by the chimy tone of the EL84s. This is not a clean amp (at higher volumes), but I could roll back the volume on my guitar and get a cleaner sound. Again, perfect.

I would say that this amp is everything I had hoped it would be. Stringmaster’s opening review here is very accurate. My guess is that my CC breaks up faster (especially with hotter humbuckers) than Stringmaster’s, but it is equally articulate. The amp feels very touch sensitive and highlighted the slighest change in my pick attack. As he also points out, the amp is much louder when turned up than it looks! But, at least in my case, I can get great tones at club volumes. I haven’t played with a band yet (hope to later today), but since we almost always get mic’ed, I am confident I can get it to sound like I want at any volume.

Here are some pictures that Tony sent me (#3 is on the right) (I haven't had a chance to use my camera yet!). The amp is actually darker than what it appears in these pictures. It's a beautiful distinctive, retro design. It is very solidly built, suprisingly small, and very light. Inside, there is a Teixeira Amps label with the SN and it's signed by Tony. There is also a label with a picture of the originally Bernie #1 signed by Colin. Cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/dellerton/filechute/bernie1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dellerton/filechute/bernie2.jpg

In short, I couldn’t be happier today. My only problem is that i have a few other smaller amps that I think I may have to sell because I don’t think I am going to want to play them any more.

Thanks to Tony and Colin (and Bernie) for designing and building the perfect tone machine for me!

Enough writing... back to Bernie #3.

amp boy
11-22-2008, 09:17 AM
just the best place....Capsule Rocks.
Last time i saw Kathleen Edwards, John was playing bass !!
Those folks are the best to talk to and know.
Good vibes...tones....for all.

Stringmaster
11-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Cool Dellerton! Thanks for posting--I've been anxious to see the "blood red" covering on the CC model. Have fun with your Bernie--if you're like me, the more time you have on it, the more you will enjoy it. Once again from me (as you mentioned), Tony and Colin are awesome to work with--they'll take care of you!

Strat
11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
...damn..
Now I have to order a sea foam green covered one....

Mastervolume
11-22-2008, 10:58 AM
So then is the front end voiced like a 5e3?

Single volume and tone...... I know that the flimosounds had 5879s for the input and then ran into a couple of 12AX7s

I am guessing that the tone stack is a 5E3? after ripping out the extra stuff.....figuring 2 12AX7s....

anybody know?

TEXAMPS
11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the great review Dean. Glad you love it.

I want to let this amp speak for itself. I don't want to hype or advertise the Texosound Bernie. I want to get real buzz & respect from people & show how different this little BIG amp is from everything else.

As far as front-end, this amp is like nothing else made! No part of the amp circuit is taken from any other amp! Only the people that own them can tell you about the clear break-up of the Bernie! No fuzzy-buzz break-up just clear thick chime that is full of muscle! Two EL84's & a 10" speaker NEVER sounded like this!

PS: Working on a Super Bernie Tremolo version of the amp for early summer.

Cheers,

Tony

LustandFury
12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
How about a gut shot? The wiring on the amps on the websites photo gallery look amazing!

LustandFury
12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh and some sounds clips of course!!!

tweedtwin
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Texamps,

I have tried to contact you through your link on
your website and cannot get through. I want to know more about the Bernie.

Can you please contact me at k.collins@cogeco.ca?

Thanks, tweedtwin

v-verb
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
or call Tony at Capsule music at 416-203-0202

TEXAMPS
12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Colin did some really great sound samples "21" soon to be up on the site. They are recorded using really killer gear (there will be a list of how & what was used, I know a U47 for room). The guitars are a Les Paul Burst RI, 1964 SG & I think an old Tele Black Guard? Anyway, will be on as soon as my web guy is able.

Cheers,

Tony

A440
12-05-2008, 09:00 AM
way cool

count me in as interested!!!

canklyde
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes,I did finish some samples which Antonio and I will have together on the web site soon enough.I did a cross section of sounds,guitars with the amp at different volume and tone levels.I used a Seinnheisser 421(close mic) and Neumann U47 for a room mic through Neve 1272 preamps into protools HD.
No Eq or compression,just the sound of the guitar and amp as best as possible. Some of the samples have delay depending on the approach.Guitars were my '64 SG Std,'52 Tele,'68 tele,and a 2003 '59 LP Historic.

trever03
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi all,
I just received #5 today. It is everything you would want. I have had many amps and this one will be in my grave with me when i die. It is just what everyone has been saying. it really gives a warmth to the el84 tone that i havent heard before. If you have seen Cripps' setup you know he doesnt have much infront of his amp and its all amp tone. I first plugged an SG directly in and then a James tyler. It was unbelievable... both guitars sounded amazing through it. The tone knob is really versatile. The break up is really nice and like others have stated, it really handles pedals amazing too. Its really hard to explain because it is unlike any other amp i have had. Its the best warm low watt tone i have ever heard out of an amp. For how small this amp is it really cranks... I set the 2 knobs at 12 o clock and it was breaking up perfectly. Very touch sensitive. Tony was also great to work with. Thanks Tony and Colin for a great product!

T.O.guitars
12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, joined specifically to comment on the Texosound Bernie. Living in Toronto I have dealt with Antonio for 8 years +/-, couldn't ask for a nicer guy to deal with. All the guy's at Capsule are good people. I own I believe to be the first completed Bernie combo Antonio built from an original Filmosound chasis. Killer tone. I use it with a classic rock cover band and she cut's and get's over the band when needed. (No mic's) I'm a huge EL84 fan, have a 65amps London, AC30, Marshall 18 watt. They all sound different, what I think is common is the touch responce to your playing. The Texosound takes all guitars well, keeping the guitar characteristics in place. Try playing a Marshall 18 watt reissue, pretty much a one tone amp regardless of the guitar. I like that tone as well, but it is limited. The Texosound has a natural compression to it, clear highs and bass doesn't fart out. Loved the combo so much got Antonio to build be a Head version. The head was built to Antonio's design. No much of a tech, but the original Filmosound is a rat's nest at best, I'm lucky to live in Toronto so Antonio can service the amp. Taking the amp to a tech not familiar with the conversion would be a gamble, as for the Texosound version any tech that looks at the gut's will only have admiration and maybe some jealousness. Super clean layout. If your a EL84 fan this is the amp to own. You couldn't ask for a better builder to deal with and having Colin Cripps involved is a no brainer. Listen to his playing and to all the people he has produced in the studio. Nuff said.

dellerton
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Just a quick update about the first recording session I have done with my new CC Bernie #3.

A couple of friends of mine are starting a new project/band (I will post links and clips when I have them) and were in the studio (Academy Recording (http://www.academy-recording.com/)) laying down tracks this weekend. They had done the guide tracks (while recording live drums and bass) using ProTools AmpFarm sims and were overdubbing with real amps. They have been using an older Fender Deluxe and BadCat TremCat (and were getting some great stuff out of those) with various guitars. I told them about the Texosound and they wanted to give it a whirl on a couple of specific tracks. I lent them my amp for the day and they recorded a bunch of fantastic tracks with it!

Academy Recording has a great tracking room and they had an amp booth (made with gobos) set up at one end of the room. We put the Bernie in there. We close-mic'd the CC Bernie with a Sennheiser e609 Silver, an SM 57, and a Microtech Gefell UMT-70s. We also used various room mics (don't know if they will make the mix... we'll see) for some ambiance. We connected the amp back to the control room with a Little Labs Mercenary Edition STD (http://www.mercenaryeditions.com/std.shtml) and the guitarists played in there. I'll let you know what preamps we used when I get the clips.

Anyhow, to start, one of the band's guitarists wanted to record the primary rhythm track of an REM-ish/rootsy song (an arpeggiated pattern) with a '77 Les Paul Deluxe (mini HBs). We put the Bernie's two controls at 12 o'clock to start.... and then they tracked, without touching the Bernie again, for a couple of hours! The sounds they got - a combination of a great amp, several great guitars, a great room, and great players - were unbelievable. This little amp records as well as anything I have ever used without *anything* between it and the guitar... just raw! They added some other guitar tracks (like a twangy, attack driven tele lead part) with a mid-90's '52 Telecaster Reissue (with vintage pickups) with the same amp settings and again... instant tone. The breakup is so sweet and the sustain is fantastic. Later in the day we used a 90's PRS hollowbody that had a Seymour Duncan single coil in the middle position. This pickup was a little hotter, so we dialed back the volume a bit on the amp, a bit on the guitar, and got a very sweet rhythm tone that will define this track.

My point, I guess, is that this amp just worked right out of the box with no tweaking. The consistent, sweet, warm breakup was exactly what the band was looking for. This amp was dead quiet (several people commented on that) for three or four hours and it performed perfectly. It was the easiest amp recording I have ever done. The only problem occurred when I had to take it home... there were threats made!

I love this amp.

A couple of photos from the session:

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/DSC_0004.jpghttp://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/DSC_0010.jpg

Stringmaster
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Love my Bernie too! I usually run my tone up a bit higher--Colin recommended 3:00, but that's pretty much max for me--I usually set it between 1:00 and 2:00, and the volume around 10:00 or so. I find the controls real interactive, and when I run the tone a bit higher, it increases the output, so I can then back off the volume a bit, and it gives me a cleaner sound, which I like. Then for fun, sometimes I do the reverse--run the tone on the amp real low, and crank the volume up, for a more primative tone--kind of reminds me of an old Valco. I don't think I've run my volume up to 12:00 though! I too find that it sounds great with all of my axes--most of which are single coil equipped--love the P90's!

TEXAMPS
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Check out the prototype player with the Colin Cripps Signature Bernie sounds.

http://www.teixeiraamps.com/audio.html

Tony

57special
01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
no real Burst?

dellerton
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
It sounds great!

markom89
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one of these later this year.
Martin is a good friend of mine and an amazing amp tech, and knowing that he had something to do with this (even if it "just" involved drawing up a diagram and clearing stuff up) means it must be good. Tony is also a great cat and while I've only tried his fuzz so far, I've no doubt this is one sweet amp. Lastly, Tim is also a hell of a guy and a friend. Three of the best guys all had something to do with this amp. How exciting!
Can't wait to try one for myself and pick one up eventually (later this year). Seems like a perfect recording + gig amp.

canklyde
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry I didn't use the real '59 for the L.P samples.I have it stored at the moment and when I went to the studio to do the samples it was just easier to use the '03 historic(brazilian board). I think you get a good cross section of the amp's sounds with three different guitars and at different volume and tone settings
Let me know what you think.There will also be an additional text added to explain some of the settings and micing,etc. and updates along the way.
Cheers,Colin.

57special
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Colin,
sounds really good, but then you always do! I thought the tele/amp sounded amazing. No big surprise... still remember going into Bernie's and he'd have a rack of teles hanging from the wall.
Anyway, it's very tempting.

Stringmaster
01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Killer clips Colin! The settings I've settled on for most occasions are very similar to the ones you used. Do those mimic your live settings too?
Thanks, Dana

amp boy
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
hahahah.......great......i had plans to drop by and introduce myself to Tony and talk to him about what he does.........and i'll take the fact that cinnamon girl clip as a sign that this was meant to be.

Any of you GTA folks want to hear some serious sound in relation to this, get yer Edwards band tickets. I have always been floored by the wonderful sound they do...the actual sound, but this..............this time the venue is a church !!!!
DAAAAAAAAMNNNNNNNNNN IT'S GOING TO SOUND GOOD !!!!!!!!!

canklyde
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Those are pretty much the settings I use live.I actually only use two settings most of the time,as changes during a show can sometimes be tricky when you are the one starting the tune and people are looking at you to get on with it!!
Ha Ha....

filmosound
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Great guitar sounds, Colin!

"amp boy"... I think the current leg of Kathleen Edward's tour is a trio with Jim Bryson, and Gord Tough. I'm sure Kathleen will be using her Texosound Bernie.

Realfi
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry I didn't use the real '59 for the L.P samples.I have it stored at the moment and when I went to the studio to do the samples it was just easier to use the '03 historic(brazilian board). I think you get a good cross section of the amp's sounds with three different guitars and at different volume and tone settings
Let me know what you think.There will also be an additional text added to explain some of the settings and micing,etc. and updates along the way.
Cheers,Colin.

Colin the clips sound awesome.

I just wish I wasn't so far away as I'd love to try one. I THINK this amp would really suit me it's just that I haven't bonded with two very well regarded boutique amps in the last year or so that despite being fine amps just weren't me.

foomoola
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey Colin ,

I must say the clips just BLEW MY MIND !!! I have been in search of a "84" platform amp for YEARS and just never have found the SOUND I had in my head ....Well that has changed , I contacted Tony , and will be grabbing one or 2 of these TONE MACHINES VERY soon!!! One question : were the clips done with your signature , or the Bernie standard model ....and what are the differences if any ??? Thanks for the TONE !!!!! Dave P.:phones

canklyde
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Great!!! glad you like the sound samples.They are done on the signature amp.The difference between it and the standard model is some different resistor values,and the use of premium tubes.The circuit on the Signature is exactly the same as my original #1,where as the standard is based on a variation of one of the original Bernies.The standard has a slightly cleaner preamp gain and less of the mids I like.The premium tubes on the signature certainly help in the overall tonality as well.

markom89
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Any idea when Tony's gonna' be releasing the trem version? Martin, my tech, helped with this project, so it can't be a bad one :D I'm really interested in this amp.

TEXAMPS
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I just made a prototype Tremolo model with bigger OT (3x size of the Bernie) I had made up. I am REALLY HAPPY with it, MASSIVE sounding! Owners of Bernie amps know how HUGE the classic models sound! Such a nice Tremolo too. It will come out only with a 12" Blue or UK made Greenback & bit bigger box with a TV style front. Think 1959 AC10 / AC15 ish...Not sure when, Summer? I might call it the "SUPER BERNIE"? The amp will have the cleaner head room of the Standard Bernie. This new amp will compliment the classic Bernie nicely.

Anyway, I always consult my buddy Martin on anything I am doing. I came up with a great tremolo circuit that would not have anything to do with the Bernie sound or change anything to do with the amp, only be faded in & out of the sound. I have a really RARE book from the early 60's by Jack Darr that has a huge section with every type of tremolo circuit. I just messed (months of time) till I came up with a tremolo that did what I needed. I then made it in a separate box & spliced it into a Bernie amp. After I got the sound I wanted I then consulted my buddy Martin to help me fit it into my layout. So, it works great!

Cheers,

Tony

trickness
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Great!!! glad you like the sound samples.They are done on the signature amp.The difference between it and the standard model is some different resistor values,and the use of premium tubes.The circuit on the Signature is exactly the same as my original #1,where as the standard is based on a variation of one of the original Bernies.The standard has a slightly cleaner preamp gain and less of the mids I like.The premium tubes on the signature certainly help in the overall tonality as well.

Saw Kathleen the other night in Alexandria VA and it was a superb show, missed your playing Colin. Jim and the new, tall thin guy with the thin strap who waves his tele (aka "The Red Headed Colin") played real tasty though.

Kathleen seemed to be playing thru an AC30 - thought she was using a Teix these days?

amp boy
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
uhhhhh.......ya, there is an AC30 on stage.........might want to notice the other amps on stage as well.
there ya go.
now yer there.
: )

LustandFury
02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
May I ask what the price of the Bernie is in Canadian dollars?

amp boy
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
go to Capsule Music.

trickness
02-25-2009, 07:35 AM
uhhhhh.......ya, there is an AC30 on stage.........might want to notice the other amps on stage as well.
there ya go.
now yer there.

yeah, except the AC30 was directly behind Kathleen, and she adjusted her volume and tone on the AC30, from what I could see. Of course, that was just my observation, sarcasm is a much more powerful tool of deduction, I guess.

dellerton
02-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Saw Kathleen in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Kathleen, I believe, played an old AC-10 with her vintage Les Paul Junior. Jim Bryson was playing a Teixeira Colin Cripps Signature Bernie. Gord Tough played a Tele through what I think is a Bernie-inspired amp he built. They played great!

Jim's Teixeira Bernie
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/tex1.jpg

Kathleen, Jim and Gord
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/tex2.jpg

Gear including Kathleen's (1965?) AC-10
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/tex3.jpg

trickness
02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Saw Kathleen in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Kathleen, I believe, played an old AC-10 with her vintage Les Paul Junior. Jim Bryson was playing a Teixeira Colin Cripps Signature Bernie. Gord Tough played a Tele through what I think is a Bernie-inspired amp he built. They played great!]

Thanks man, that's exactly the setup she had, I thought it was an AC30, but given there was no drummer or bassist on this tour, I was kind of surprised that she'd be using a 30 as the group dynamics were smaller. I was a bit back from the stage, so I couldn't make out the smaller chassis, just that it was a Vox.

I had seen on her website that she just got a Teixiera, so I was kind of expecting to see it behind her. I was surprised at how well Jim was able to cop Colin's licks. Very tasty show.

Thanks for the post!

steve_chiro
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Jim's actually a really good guitar player. Pretty original, too. I love his stuff.

I'm playing with him tomorrow!

jarek_anderson
02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
want one!!!!!

jarek_anderson
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
just got on the list for one!

dellerton
02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
You're gonna love it.

dellerton
02-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Jim's actually a really good guitar player. Pretty original, too. I love his stuff.

I'm playing with him tomorrow!

Let us know how it goes. What amp does Jim play (solo)?

Stringmaster
02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
just got on the list for one!

Cool! Welcome aboard! Don't know if you all saw these:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=511462

Not the quality of Colin's clips but shows a different setting/style for the Bernie--live in our "garage". Mine is the slightly darker tone (I'm using p90's/semi-hollowbody)--ie lead on "Rain", intro/1st lead on "Pawn". The other guitarist is using a Strat. Not a perfect mix, but gives an idea in a band setting.
DD

dellerton
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Cool! Welcome aboard! Don't know if you all saw these:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=511462

Not the quality of Colin's clips but shows a different setting/style for the Bernie--live in our "garage". Mine is the slightly darker tone (I'm using p90's/semi-hollowbody)--ie lead on "Rain", intro/1st lead on "Pawn". The other guitarist is using a Strat. Not a perfect mix, but gives an idea in a band setting.
DD

Great tone there, Stringmaster!

TEXAMPS
02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Kathleen is using a great sounding 64 VOX AC10, so different than my Bernie CC. She got a really nice Standard Bernie & am sure needed the amp to break-up faster @ a lower volume for this tour. The Standard is cleaner than the CC & would need to be turned up to AC30 volume to break-up. Some of you guys emailed me & said they LOVED Bryson's tone.. Cheers, but he is a KILLER guitar player!

Tony

In Tune
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
go to Capsule Music.

Ill tell ya Dis, went to Capsule Music,,,dont know why. No info. :FM

TEXAMPS
03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Hi,

If you need info just email me, Capsule is not a dealer. You can only get a Bernie through my web site.

Tony

markom89
03-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey Tony,

Are you back in town?
Can I try one out some place?

jarek_anderson
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Love that grit Stringmaster!!! I ordered one of the CC customs... I've got my cleans from an AC30 type... so I want one to get really dirty. There were wicked tones at the KE show in Ottawa on Feb 14th from all 3 players... but Jim Bryson on the Bernie just did it for me. I haven't played one yet... buying sight unseen, but I think that I will be able to drive to T.O. to pick this one up. Then I can try the trem as well... maybe I will have 2 to come home with... hahahaha

Going amp shopping is worse than puppy-shopping with the GF

steve_chiro
03-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Let us know how it goes. What amp does Jim play (solo)?

It went really well. Jim came down all the way here to open for my band in our hometown. He is a friend and I asked him to because I love his stuff. We also played one of his songs as an encore with him singing. It was a lot of fun.

He played my amp (an old AC30), but usually he plays an old Traynor combo that's been hotrodded by a friend of his. He told me he'd also been playing the Teixeira on his latest tour w/Kathleen.

dellerton
03-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Steve!

dellerton
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Love that grit Stringmaster!!! I ordered one of the CC customs... I've got my cleans from an AC30 type... so I want one to get really dirty. There were wicked tones at the KE show in Ottawa on Feb 14th from all 3 players... but Jim Bryson on the Bernie just did it for me. I haven't played one yet... buying sight unseen, but I think that I will be able to drive to T.O. to pick this one up. Then I can try the trem as well... maybe I will have 2 to come home with... hahahaha

Going amp shopping is worse than puppy-shopping with the GF

Did you get it yet?

jarek_anderson
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
The amp is built... but still waiting on a cab is the last word I heard from Tony. Getting very anxious for this!!!

dellerton
03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
The more I play mine, the more I like it. The other day, I went to play with a group of folks who I didn't know. I took the Bernie as a grab-n-go amp. I had an SG and a Tele. For pedals I had a tuner and an analog delay. After we played a couple of songs, the other guitarist actually stopped and said, "what the hell IS that thing?". Later, during a break, he had to play through it. After about three minutes, he just said, "Damn" and shook his head. It's that good.

jarek_anderson
03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
I've got all of the KE albums, and have heard the amp live twice now... just dying to get my hands on it!!!!!

Dellerton: What delay are you using??? Do you ever throw a boost or OD in there???

dellerton
03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I've got all of the KE albums, and have heard the amp live twice now... just dying to get my hands on it!!!!!

Dellerton: What delay are you using??? Do you ever throw a boost or OD in there???

I have a couple of pedalboards that I use live (bigger and smaller). On the small board (only holds 4-5 pedals), which have used with the Bernie, I have an MXR Carbon Copy. I like the sound of this pedal through this amp, and while it's hard to set specific delay times (no tap), it's a nice, organic sound. I have played my TC Electronic Nova Delay through here and it sounds great, it's just a bit large for this board. I went for compact on this rig. I wanted to travel light (using the Pedaltrain mini).

I love the natural breakup on this amp, so what I have been doing (a la Colin) is cranking it up to 11 or 12 o'clock and using an older Ernie Ball Volume pedal to dial back the volume a bit for normal stuff (and cleaner) and then hitting that full for leads.

I do have a Durham SexDrive that I can use as a boost, but for what I have been doing with this amp, I am not using it much. My chain is, at the moment:

guitar > old Ernie Ball volume pedal> old Boss CS-2 compressor > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Sex Drive > Carbon Copy ----> amp

When I saw Jim Bryson playing this amp with Kathleen, he had a small Boss equalizer that he used to boost his leads. I might give that a try, too.

Honesty, for most things, it's just the guitar and the amp... and maybe some compression and/or maybe some delay.

It just sounds great by itself.

best,

dean

Stringmaster
03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I like the RE-20 with my Bernie--sometimes I use an outboard Fender reverb tank too. The amp doesn't need much help in the breakup dept, and I too generally prefer the natural amp tone. I do like my Jetter GSR with the Bernie though, set to a mild boost--I would say any of the clean boost, low gain OD pedals that don't mess with the tone much would work well.

dellerton
03-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I like the RE-20 with my Bernie--sometimes I use an outboard Fender reverb tank too. The amp doesn't need much help in the breakup dept, and I too generally prefer the natural amp tone. I do like my Jetter GSR with the Bernie though, set to a mild boost--I would say any of the clean boost, low gain OD pedals that don't mess with the tone much would work well.

I don't know much about the Jetter. Can you tell us about it?

Stringmaster
03-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Here's a link for info on the Jetter:
http://jettergear.com/products/gainstageRed.cfm

It's basically designed to get the Robben Ford type D... tone, but I don't generally use it that way--mainly to goose the amp a bit. I just like the way it's voiced--doesn't get in the way of the amp's original tone (unless you want it to). There are tons of threads on TGP about the pedal. It works well with both the Bernie, and my Fenders too. I love my Klon with the Fenders, but not so much with the Bernie.

steve_chiro
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I actually LOVE my klon with the Bernie. Go figure.

jarek_anderson
03-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I think that I am going to have to get my hands on one of those EB volumes... I have a JD Hi-Gain... but its brutal. Which EB is the better one??? I'm there are threads on this already... but what version of pots do you fellas have?

I'm seriously jonesing to get my hands on this amp!!! Like I need a cigarette while stuck in traffic kinda jones!

Is there any chance I won't dig it??? What is the 'feel' like?? I'm assuming very vox-y???

dellerton
03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I think that I am going to have to get my hands on one of those EB volumes... I have a JD Hi-Gain... but its brutal. Which EB is the better one??? I'm there are threads on this already... but what version of pots do you fellas have?

I'm seriously jonesing to get my hands on this amp!!! Like I need a cigarette while stuck in traffic kinda jones!

Is there any chance I won't dig it??? What is the 'feel' like?? I'm assuming very vox-y???

I used to use Ernie Ball Jr. pedals. And while they are built well and fit great on a board, their "travel" is limited and non-linear. Colin (while talking to him about buying the amp) actually suggested looking for one of the old Ernie Ball volume pedals:

http://tinyurl.com/cqkuxm

I found one on ebay in mint condition and bought it. I'll never go back. It's a bit bigger and heavier, but it's smooth.

As far as what the amp sounds like... it's just smooth sustain and chime. It sounds more voxy than Fendery, but if you listen to Colin's sound samples, they perfectly represent what you are going to get:

http://www.teixeiraamps.com/audio.html

jarek_anderson
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
yea, those samples are killer. I love his playing... trying to learn some of his stuff by ear, but I find it way harder than it sounds... lots of little grace notes

Catoogie
03-30-2009, 09:42 AM
trying to learn some of his stuff by ear, but I find it way harder than it sounds... lots of little grace notes

I wouldn't kill myself on learning all of that stuff note for note, that's not what is crucial to the part, that's Colin's personal style. I'm sure when he plays this stuff live he's constantly changing all of those subtleties up. Having said that, they are what makes it sound so cohesive but use your own thing to make it more like you. You've already shown that you're a strong player by even noticing that stuff, I see so many guys who learn the 'parts' of songs but don't get all of the little stuff that is the glue. I see guys all of the time who play the parts but leave huge holes but not playing the part in the context of the song. Does that make any sense?

jarek_anderson
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
yea... makes perfect sense... hahaha thanks for the compliment, sound unheard!

I just dig what he's doing, and however he's doing it seems to come from really foreign shapes for me. So I really want to see what positions he's using or whatever. I only play by ear, so I'm really trying to piece that style together... just to see where he's getting his bends and stuff from. Just a very different style to what I'm used to, and something that I find very interesting to play.

jarek_anderson
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

Wow what an amp. Picked it up from Tony last night... have about 4 hours logged on it already. That includes the 4 hr drive home... or else I'd be closer to 8!

Won't say much about it now... hasn't started to break in yet. This is one touch-responsive amp. It begs to be played with fingers to get the full dynamic... I'm getting some Lanois-like tones/feels from this. It just barks at you if you look at it. There is a lot of overton presence, which I think has a great deal to do with why everyone says this amp cuts through the mix really well. I don't know a whole lot about the physics of it, but I find that a lot of the sustain almost turns into feedback, even at the lower volumes. This might be the earlier breakup of the preamp in the Cripps Custom model, Stringmaster??? But it won't carry off into what I think of as "self-feedback" where the note just lasts forever. It makes a high-order (right term???) harmonic as the sustained chord fades out.

It's hard to explain... I'll make some recordings when I get my gear assembled in one place again. I'd send pics... but they're identical to the ones seen earlier in the thread!

-jarek

canklyde
04-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Jarek!!! Any more feedback on the amp? I am always curious to know how the amp is working for other players.I hope all is well and you are enjoying it.
Let us know!!!
Cheers,Colin.

Stringmaster
04-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Congrats Jarek--sounds like the Bernie is working out well for you. Tony told me the difference between the std and sig models was subtle--but my amp is essentially like yours, sans the covering--I had it back to his shop to do some tweaks and tube upgrades, and Colin was on hand to go through amp with Tony, to make sure it was tip top and to their liking;)
I know what you mean about that "feedback" thing, like the notes kind of "swell". Have fun, and keep us posted!
Dana

dellerton
04-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Played my #3 live again this weekend and the comments I keep hearing (from guitar players) are:

* The tone is great... sustains forever (and no OD pedals!). Perfect breakup.

* How loud it is for such a small and light package. No problem keeping up with drummer!

dean

jarek_anderson
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Hello again all...

this just keeps getting warmer and warmer to me. I find that the gain is different from most other amps I have played. When I really drive it with the bridge of my R7, I get a really crunchy, thick OD. It's not really a distorted tone, but just a really complex OD... lots of overtones.

I like it with the tele... but mine has some gorunding problems that I need to sort out, so there was lots of noise. It didn't get as much playtime... but I did think it necessary to try and sneak some of Colin's licks... hahaha

Maybe Kathleen will make fun of that little bit of guitar geeking??? hahaha

My Strat sounded decent... but not really what I was after in any of the single pickup positions. I've really been a little skeptical of this strat lately, and I find that positions 2&4 are the only ones that I really end up liking... maybe I'm more of a quacky player???

THE REAL DEAL on this amp for me... aside from the aforementioned gain is the response to touch. Colin can chime in on this, as maybe his is a little different... but I really haven't found any sort of situation that was so touch responsive. On some amps I have owned and played, I could tell whether or not I was playing with a pick. On this amp, its as though I can hear is there is any oxidization on the strinfs when I play with a pick.

When I play with fingers alone (which seems to be most of the time now) I can go from clean to compressed and dirty in one stroke, and then back again. This is, without exaggeration, the most sensitive amp I have ever played.

So thats where I stand after a week!

GP_Hawk
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Looking forward to hearing some of your recordings with this amp jarek:munch

TEXAMPS
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys,

One of my Customers just finished his new LP & it is killer. He does not use my Bernie but does use my TEX45. I only made 4 of them, I like to do small runs of interesting amps that I change up from time to time. I always seem to sell them & the customer always love them, which is the mosts important to me. I think 80-90% of the sounds is from the amp.

http://www.themanvils.com/

Cheers,

Tony
www.texamplifiers.com (http://www.texamplifiers.com)

TEXAMPS
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the Great band Metric, you can see one of my amps in the new video. It is also one of the TEX45 heads I built.

http://www.ilovemetric.com/

Tony

v-verb
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the Great band Metric, you can see one of my amps in the new video. It is also one of the TEX45 heads I built.

http://www.ilovemetric.com/

Tony

Hey Tony!

Cool video - ever meet Emily? Smokin!!!

Guys Tony's amps are great - Pete Faragher has a 45 and it's up there with any JTM45 type head out there.

Cheers

nigel

T.O.guitars
05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Went to a Grady show last week and it inspired this little ditty.
I used a Texosound (Bernie) head and a 2 x12 cab with a Gold & 75 anniv. SM57 @ the cab and a KSM 32 for the room. recorded dry.
I record riffs so I don't forget them, I put this on a CD and played it on a proper stereo and the tone IMHO was killer. Recored on the floor one pass. Thought I'd share. BTW I just started with the slide so please be nice. You may not like the riff or the playing but you gotta love the TONE.
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7586677&q=hi

57special
05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
What are the prices on the Bernie 15 and the CC amp? They aren't on the site.

Realfi
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
My AC30 is hurting my back...

Although I've had bad luck purchasing boutique amps from afar I might just have to go for one of these!

canklyde
05-15-2009, 07:39 AM
I promise you wouldn't be disappointed...

dellerton
05-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Colin's right. I have 4 other amps. All I want to do is play this one. And if your back is the issue, this is the lightest one by far! I have been gigging with this amp, an SG, a Tele and a small pedal board (tuner, boost, chorus, delay). Most of the time, though, it's just the guitar and the amp.. no pedals. This is the only amp I have ever owned where this is true.

tzamosti
05-22-2009, 04:31 PM
My Texosound Sig. Model should be shipping early next week...couldn't be more excited! Both Tony and Colin have been really helpful and I can't wait to gig this amp.

bluehugh2
05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but here's a TEX45... it may be THE best amp I've ever heard...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/bluehugh2/IMG_5309.jpg

amp boy
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
sweet Tex45 !!!
I got the same knobs and faceplate on my 45....cool !!
now i wanna play it.......damn it's 11pm !!!!!!!!!
: (

dellerton
05-23-2009, 06:58 AM
My Texosound Sig. Model should be shipping early next week...couldn't be more excited! Both Tony and Colin have been really helpful and I can't wait to gig this amp.

I am off out the door in a couple of hours to play two sessions. I guarantee that someone at one of those two sessions is going to ask me to play through it.

tzamosti
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Sitting in my office now...can't wait to take it home. First impression, looks great, smaller than I thought it would be. Well...thoughts later!

teleamp
06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I like the tone people are getting with these. Colin gets some sweet tones. This should be a great grab and go. Hopefully the new 10" celestion gold speaker will be available soon (come-on July).

dellerton
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Sitting in my office now...can't wait to take it home. First impression, looks great, smaller than I thought it would be. Well...thoughts later!

Well... what do you think?

Here is my friend Dave playing his 70's LP Deluxe through the Bernie in the studio:

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/dave_tex.jpg

tzamosti
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry...things have been crazy. For starters, its GREAT! Still putting it through its paces, though. Both Tony and Colin were great guys and I had the utmost confidence that they would deliver an outstanding amp...and they did.

So...Its tiny, a great brab and go amp, but has a huge sound. Really touch-sensitive and obviously the amount of gain or grit depends on the pup or guitar being used. Right now, been using it mostly with my teles and its a match made in heaven. Works well with a strat or gibby with humbuckers, but like the volume a little lower to get a cleaner sound.

Just a beautiful sound...has real bite when needed, but can produce the prettiest and deepest sounds, especially with a little reverb and delay. ODs are definitely not needed and I am still working to find the best pedals to add more oomph when needed. So far, it likes the honey bee a lot.

But the beauty is really just its plain, simple tone...it has that in spades. Definitely has a great vibe and plan to gig it out as soon as I can...just a well-built, convenient amp with tons of tone. Really happy with it so far...but want more time to get to know it! You know...taking it slow, holding hands first.

TEXAMPS
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I set up the new shop & starting up the TEXOSOUND Bernie production again. Will also have a few new amps all available in early July. Just before the shut down I designed an EF86 model that is really KILLER. It has the Bernie sound but with that EF86 tone & big low-end. Also still waiting for the silk screens for the Bernie tremolo model, should be available Aug.

Cheers,
Tony

bluehugh2
06-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I just picked up Teixeira 5E3 Custom #1. Single 12" speaker. I am typically not a big fan of tweed deluxes, but this amp is something different! Apparently customized for more headroom, this amp has a huge bottom end and a gritty but smooth overdrive. It sounds glorious with my tele... actually, THE best Tele amp i've played. Huge twang on the low E string and never ice-picky on the bridge pickup of my GVCG Telecaster! Tony... build more of these!!!

v-verb
06-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I set up the new shop & starting up the TEXOSOUND Bernie production again. Will also have a few new amps all available in early July. Just before the shut down I designed an EF86 model that is really KILLER. It has the Bernie sound but with that EF86 tone & big low-end. Also still waiting for the silk screens for the Bernie tremolo model, should be available Aug.

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony!

It's nigel - thanks for helping out Tom with that Laney last week.

Can you shoot some specs and prices for the EF86 model to nigel.lall@rogers.com ?

Cheers

nigel

markom89
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey Tony,

Where's the new shop?
Definitely gonna' stop by and check out some of your stuff.

Cheers,

Marko M.

Realfi
06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Tony

Oh great...another exciting sounding amp I can't hear!

Are you sticking with the 1 x 10" format like the Bernie?

TEXAMPS
07-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey,

The new shop is way bigger than the old one & at my new house in Toronto. All the wood work is still done in Whitby, Ontario @ my dad's shop. He has some really nice tools & a killer spread, his cabinets are built to last FOREVER!!

I am so happy with the new amp models, just have to get people to hear them. I am going to get a booth @ the LA amp show in the fall so will have a few there. The EF86 Bernie with be a 1x12" Blue only & cab size 19"x19"x9". The Bernie tremolo will have the EF86 & classic Bernie size cabs.

PS: Will post some pictures soon.

Cheers,

Tony
www.texamplifers.com (http://www.texamplifers.com)

dellerton
07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Although I've played the CC Bernie at some smaller gigs, last night was the first big and crowded show. Played at the Webster Theater in Hartford, CT as a sideman for Pam Autuori. Pam was one of the openers for Ryan Cabrera.

This amp was perfect for this gig: no soundcheck, crowded stage, grab-n-go, no frills. I played mostly with a Gibson 339 with just a hint of delay on a few songs. Controlled gain via volume pedal and volume knob. Even busted out the eBow. Sounded great. It was mic'ed with a e609. Soundguy asked about it afterward ("... that thing sounded so big ...") as did one of the other guitarists from another act. (You can see it by the red shoes). This couldn't have been better and it's exactly what I bought this amp for.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/pdm1.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/pdm2.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/pdm4.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/dellerton/pdm3.jpg

Stringmaster
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey,

The new shop is way bigger than the old one & at my new house in Toronto. All the wood work is still done in Whitby, Ontario @ my dad's shop. He has some really nice tools & a killer spread, his cabinets are built to last FOREVER!!

I am so happy with the new amp models, just have to get people to hear them. I am going to get a booth @ the LA amp show in the fall so will have a few there. The EF86 Bernie with be a 1x12" Blue only & cab size 19"x19"x9". The Bernie tremolo will have the EF86 & classic Bernie size cabs.

PS: Will post some pictures soon.

Cheers,

Tony

Awesome Tony--look forward to meeting you, and kicking some tires. My Bernie is killing!
Dana

Bobbofallenstar
07-13-2009, 01:19 AM
I need one of these amps.

Realfi
07-13-2009, 01:21 AM
I need one of these amps.

I need to get to try one...or the forthcoming EF86 one...

guitartrevor
07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I have recently received my CC TEX #8 late this spring.

I guess I should start by saying I saw Kathleen and Colin perform in Vancouver at the Rio. Super show! What a great couple. I noticed his amp on stage was something that I had not seen before and being too far to read what it was, I waited until the show was over. Brief chat with Kathleen and Colin I went over to see the amp closer. I texted the name into my phone and looked it up later on-line

I started emailing Tony about getting one of these amps.
Like so many people afraid to buy sight unseen.
I went for it.

Jaw dropping sound!

Of course I am still messing around with it, but I love how small and light it is.
But the sound is huge and rich. Tony was right it does get better sounding the more you play it. I can really hear the different pick ups. The rhythm does not get muddy. It just sounds like it should. I have a few pedals but I don't seem to use them, although they are great pedals I really enjoy straight into the amp right now.

It gets the front seat and the seat belt when we go to practice.
Thanks again Tony for making #8 for me.

Trevor

I wished I bought two now!

57special
07-18-2009, 11:06 PM
not exactly on topic, but this clip gets kind of fun around the 4 minute mark. I guess CC is playing his Bernie-sounds like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waoCJKg5Nmc

TEXAMPS
08-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi guys,

Getting my act together, for the LA amp show. Still so much to do, will have 3 models there. TEXOSOUND Colin Cripps Bernie & the new Super Bernie tremolo 1x12", EF86 Bernie 1x12" tremolo.

Hope to see some of you, will keep you posted.

Tony,

TEXAMPS
09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Here is the prototype EF86 TEXOSOUND amp.

Tony

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5449.jpg

TEXAMPS
09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Still waiting for the new face-plates.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5451.jpg

v-verb
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Very nice Tony!

Cheers

nigel

TEXAMPS
09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Size: 19" x 19" x 9"

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5452.jpg

Stringmaster
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Looks great Tony. Are you still planning to be at the LA Amp Show? I didn't seem you name on the vendor list.
Dana

TEXAMPS
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Not sure the LA show is going to happen this year as a vendor. I might try to get a table & only have 2 amps there. It will be all last min.

Tony

Loop-Master
09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
VERY nice!

Richards
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey Tony, you got any of those Blue Tex amps ready to go with the ef-86 + trem? Thanks
Cheers, Richards (Toronto)

TEXAMPS
09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
A Bernie amp I built for http://www.kathleenedwards.com/ just to show what the Gray cover will look like.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP3780.jpg

Realfi
09-13-2009, 09:22 PM
A Bernie amp I built for http://www.kathleenedwards.com/ just to show what the Gray cover will look like.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP3780.jpg

Beautiful!

Pete Faragher
10-31-2009, 08:27 PM
The best little amp on the planet just got better !!!!
I have always loved my Tex Bernie with the Celestion G10 vintage 80th ann speaker in it. Never really thought of changing it.
But this week I purchased a pair of Celestion 10” Golds that I have been waiting for for over a year !!!! I plan on using them in my 59’ tweed Super. But curiosity got the better of me and I thought why not try it in the Bernie?
For me, this just made a perfect amp more perfect. The difference being mostly in the upper mids. They really are pronounced now. There is a bit more sparkle in the top and the bottom is tighter. Maybe a tiny bit louder than the G10.
But with a humbucking guitar (PRS custom 22 standard with DiMarizo 35th Anniversary PAFs....fantastic pickups BTW) the woodyness is incredible. Makes the amp and guitar more as one, more organic !!!!
If you got an amp with 10’s in it, I highly recommend you check these out.
I guess I’ll need to buy another one now to fill out my tweed Super, cause this speaker is not coming out of the Bernie !!!!
Cheers
pete

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/P1000251.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/P1000256.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/P1000257.jpg

iggs
10-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Pete ... :wave

Richards
11-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey Peter, how u doin? Amp looks great! Cheers, Richards

canklyde
11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Funny you mention this Pete. Antonio and I were certainly curious about the 10" gold in the amp.It has been a long wait for these speakers to materialize.You have now answered any doubts about it being a good match!!
Happy days!!!

Franktone
11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
That's a really nice amp Pete.

TEXAMPS
11-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi,

Great about the Gold 10's, you get what you pay for! This amp is all about the high powered Celestion speaker. Looking @ the cone it seems to be the same as the V10, alnico really adds so much to a speaker!

PS: Peter's Texosound Bernie is from the first batch I made in the AC10 size box.

Tony

Stringmaster
11-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Great tip on the Gold's Pete--I pretty happy with the current speaker, but the Gold would match the hardware on my amp! I re-read my initial post, and after having the amp for over a year, I don't think my review would be any different.

Lately I've been using the Bernie for lower volume gigs. One club I play at regularly has been real strict about keeping the volume down (or else get shut down), and the Bernie is just right. I play it with the volume under 10:00, with a full Blues band, and it just fills up the club with sound. All of the other guitar nerd types comment about how big it sounds, and can't believe it's only 15 watts with a 10--and I barely have it cracked open.

This week I also did a restaraunt gig with it, no drums, just me, harp, and upright bass. I had the volume right around 9:00 (barely on), and my guitar volume backed off a bit. Again it just filled the room--not much if any breakup, but the tone was fat an juicy. A tiny bit of verb or delay and I'm good to go.

Long term report--still lovin' the Bernie!
DD

shark_bite
11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Yknow, I heard about these a pretty good while ago... the clips sound pretty great. What does one of them go for anyway?

Pete Faragher
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Yknow, I heard about these a pretty good while ago... the clips sound pretty great. What does one of them go for anyway?

contact Tony at the email address two posts up

A440
11-04-2009, 03:38 PM
over a yr later, and still love the idea of owning one of these.

and now the addition of a 1x12 model with trem. :eek:

TEXAMPS
11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey,

Here is a RARE first version Bernie FILMOSOUND amp circa 1994 for sale. I built the box for it back in 2005 to house the chassis that was in a head. This was one of Colin Cripps back-up's.

http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.asp?ID=4655

Tony

bukowski
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Tonio !

TEXAMPS
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey,

Found this Bryan Adams clip. Listen to the slide part, think it's Colin playing through his Bernie amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_38_gRKHfg

Cool Beatles cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbly3B2pp8&feature=related

T.O.guitars
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I wanted to add my 2 cents on the Gold's.
I own a combo and a head version of the Texosound Bernie's for a couple of years now. My go to amps for playing out and home recording.
With the head I use a 2x12 cab with Golds (12"), I agree with the post from Peter, more pronounced upper mids and tighter bass, also cleans up easier with the guitar volume. I mostly play classic rock and keep my volume and tone @ 2' o'clock on the amps with humbuckers. The combo with the G10 I feel gives you more overtones with the breakup, I tried the combo with the mainout to the 2x12 cab and pretty much the same results as the head version. If you want more string definition and a somewhat cleaner sound the golds will help you get that, the G10's are great for texture and overtones ala classic rock tones. I added a sound bite in this thread few months back. Used the head and 2x12 cab with a PRS Grissom (killer guitar, 1st guitar that does a good sounding split coil).
Sorry for the long post....cheers

canklyde
11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Now that I think about it,the red bernie amp that is for sale at Capsule music is the one I used for the Beatle session in London with Bryan a couple years ago.
mmmmn!? shouldn't have let that one leave the fold. It sounds really great...

57special
11-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Colin,
Do you know what happened to the one with the all mahogany cab and wheat grille that sold at the GC years ago? I think you picked it up for some friends.

BTW, I put in a call to Capsule on the Bernie. Hopefully it's still available.

v-verb
11-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Colin,
Do you know what happened to the one with the all mahogany cab and wheat grille that sold at the GC years ago? I think you picked it up for some friends.

BTW, I put in a call to Capsule on the Bernie. Hopefully it's still available.

Too funny - I knew there would be a rush for the amp once Tony and Colin did their posts!

Cool provenance + good amp = not a bad buy

57special
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Not sure, but this might've originally been mine. My handle with Bernie's crowd was "never ending customer #2", which was a comment on the amount of amps i had going in and out of there.
Still have my Bernie modded RR2. Killer!

v-verb
11-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Not sure, but this might've originally been mine. My handle with Bernie's crowd was "never ending customer #2", which was a comment on the amount of amps i had going in and out of there.
Still have my Bernie modded RR2. Killer!

Good luck - hope you get it back! Good price I think

canklyde
11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
The all Mahogany one is still owned by Jim Cuddy from Blue Rodeo. It was his main amp (along with a brown deluxe) for quite some time but received enough abuse that he took it off the road.I just went through it for him and gave it some TLC (NOS Amperex and Mullards,etc) Now it sounds glorious again.
The red Bernie came to me as a head in a small cabinet about 5 years ago.It had started out as a combo then was converted somewhere along the way.I had Antonio build the red combo box based on the original cabinet dimensions. I had two spares,one done in black,one in red.
This was the first connection Tony and I had with the amps(about 3 1/2 years ago)and started the dialogue about doing the signature model. I hope whom ever buys it appreciates the history. It is a great sounding amp,I guess I was feeling abit like a glutton when I sold it as I have enough of them including Antonio's great version. Also ,I still have the only original stereo Bernie made and intend on holding on to that.It's two heads wired together in a piggyback style with a 2-12" open back cab.It sounds incredible!

57special
11-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Colin,
I bet the stereo amp sounds good. Is that the one with the sailcloth dyed amber covering?
The best sounding amp that Bernie ever made for me was a true class A amp running 3 EL34's and housed in an old Ampeg M15 cab, but it blew up, and i could never get him to fix it for me. That Mahogany Filmo was mine originally- i built the cab . Who knows why i sold it, though I seem to recall having a bunch of nice sounding amps around at the time and something just had to go.
Anyway, the combo seems to be mine. Will be fun to play it years later and see if it lives up to my memories of it. Handy package for sure.

I've been tempted by the Texiera for quite as while now. Seem to be a perfect size, weight, and tone for many things.

TEXAMPS
11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi,

The first Bernie amp I built was taken from that stereo amp, that was the amp I went through to get the famous Bernie circuit from. I bought it from a guy in Hamilton for $500, came with the head box & a 2x12" cab that could also house the two amps.

Anyway I remember showing Colin my great new stereo Bernie amp, boy did his eyes light up! So I let him "BORROW IT", I should have known I would never see it again. :)

Anyway, this was how the #1 CC Bernie came about. Colin tried the amp I built & loved it! He then let me look @ his #1, a few changes later.... The #1 CC Bernie signature was born.

I might make a small run of this amp one day but with STEREO TREMOLO!

"How cool would that be".

PS: Colin you should put up a picture of the amp.

Tony

TEXAMPS
11-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey 57 special,

I dig your Midwesterner guitar, we should check you out to be a dealer in Toronto.

PS: The Red Bernie amp sold today @ Capsule. Sorry, lasted 2 days.

Tony
www.texamplifiers.com

57special
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Tony,
That was me that the Bernie was sold to. It will be hanging around the shop till i talk to shipper dude on Tuesday (Richard?) and make arrangements to get it sent south. Are you with Capsule?

TEXAMPS
11-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Hi,

Yea, guitar Luither & amp tech @ Capsule. I will bring one of my custom made shipping boxes for tuesday. Plus will have to pull the tubes out for shipping the Filmosound amp or they will be smashed.

Tony

57special
11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Tony,
We'll have to chat sometime. I spent years in the TO/Hamilton area.

Rob

GeetarSteve
11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey y'all.. new to the forum... I took delivery of my Texeira (#13) in the summer... its an amazing amp..I've used it for most of my shows in new york, ...it always gets great comments from listeners and sound guys. Between the Tex and my Blackface Princeton rvrb I've got most bases covered... biggest surprise was how light it was...lighter than my princeton. I've used it with strats/teles and Les Pauls... the particular sound of every guitar is retained, but gets more defined (if that makes sense). I was looking for something unique in the Vox/Marshall camp that was low wattage... the amp sounds huge and sits well in a band mix.. the way it breaks up is a beautiful thing.. Tony was a pleasure to deal with and the amp was ready ahead of schedule... Really have nothing bad to say... would love two of them in stereo for bigger stages...

57special
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Got the Filmosound today. Nice box, Tony. Very glitzy gold lame grill cloth. After futzing around trying to stick the tubes in, i finally just took the back off, installed tubes, then reinstalled the back/chassis. Amps sounds great, just like i remember them. Very thick sounding, but with that nice El84 treble tone when it's pushed. By no means a Vox clone, though i guess it has some qualities in common. Reminds me a bit of the Gibson RVT79, but without all the extraneous crap, and it's way lighter.
What are you guys using for speakers? Mine's got a Weber Blue pup. It sounds good, but i'm thinking a more aggressive, brighter speaker might be worth trying. The amp had plenty of compression and sag if i want it, so i'm thinking something brighter rather than warmer.
Anyone played both an original Filmosound and a Texeira "Bernie"? If so, any comments on their differences, or simlarities? Hopefully the new ones are easier to swap tubes in!

TEXAMPS
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi,

The Filmosound Bernie amp you got is one made by Bernie & I custom made the box for it. That amp sounds good & you can hear it on the Bryan Adams "Beatles" cover Colin plays on. What you have is one of 20 made Bernie amps by Bernie himself with my box.

The Weber speaker in the amp sounds cool. I put Celestion V10 in my production models, they are 60 watts. So will have less break-up & more low end.

PS: My Chassis is totally different from the Filmosound, it is built like a tank. Oh, yes it is easy to put tubes in my production amps.

Tony

57special
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM
OK, this amp sounds ridiculous with a tele. Figures, that's all Bernie ever had.

Tony, any more info about your EF86 amp?

TEXAMPS
11-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi,

I have sold 5 of them already, 2 are in the USA, 2 are here with local guys & Colin has my first one.

It is KILLER, if you love the Bernie you will LOVE this amp! It's the Bernie with an EF86 front end & tremolo, more CHIME & response + Celestion Blue. The guitar seems to talk to you. I added the Dick Denney Bass cut switch that makes this amp sound like the Beatles.

I had a 1960 AC15 TV & I have to tell you I like this amp BETTER!

Between the Bernie & the EF86 model these amps are truly "Modern Classics". :)

Tony

TEXAMPS
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Finished production EF86 TEXOSOUND amp. Like the Tannoy grill cloth.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5637.jpg

TEXAMPS
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Finished art work on chassis.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5638.jpg

TEXAMPS
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Back of amp.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5639.jpg

v-verb
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Tony, do you have one in the shop this week? I would like to hear this

cheers

nigel

TEXAMPS
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
hi,

I don't sell them in the shop, only my web site. If you email me off my site I will send you my contact info. You can try one out tomorrow before I ship this batch of orders.

Tony

Catoogie
11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Tony, I believe Colin described what he felt were the differences between your Bernie model and his Signature model, I was wondering if you might describe the differences as you see them.

Thanks

TEXAMPS
11-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi,

Differences between the Signature model & my new EF86 model?

The TEXOSOUND EF86 model has more CHIME, drive/smoothness, bit cleaner & is a little bigger sounding than the CC model ( & the CC sounds massive). The EF86 tube is fantastic!

It has a 12" Blue (or Greenback) & 3X LARGER OUTPUT TRANSFORMER. The new model has same power section & phase-inverter as the CC (tweeked for 12") but with an EF86 front end, bass cut switch & tremolo. Has bigger box for 12" speaker 19x19x9.5"

Both amps are great, one is not better than the other. Not sure if I could pick one over the other, I do love the tremolo.

PS: I guess you will see reviews in the next little while.

Tony

Tony

TEXAMPS
11-23-2009, 01:29 AM
In Black
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/12.jpg

Catoogie
11-23-2009, 02:53 PM
No, the Colin Cripps model versus the Texosound Bernie 15

Hi,

Differences between the Signature model & my new EF86 model?

The TEXOSOUND EF86 model has more CHIME, drive/smoothness, bit cleaner & is a little bigger sounding than the CC model ( & the CC sounds massive). The EF86 tube is fantastic!

It has a 12" Blue (or Greenback) & 3X LARGER OUTPUT TRANSFORMER. The new model has same power section & phase-inverter as the CC (tweeked for 12") but with an EF86 front end, bass cut switch & tremolo. Has bigger box for 12" speaker 19x19x9.5"

Both amps are great, one is not better than the other. Not sure if I could pick one over the other, I do love the tremolo.

PS: I guess you will see reviews in the next little while.

Tony

Tony

TEXAMPS
11-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I don't make the Texosound Bernie 15 anymore. Still has to come off the site (web guy not getting back to me). You would just get the CC model, they are to close in sound to bother making both. The CC is that bit better.

Cheers,

tony

57special
12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, i'm really liking the little Bernie amp. The trick to getting good tone with HB and p90 guitars is to keep the volume down, or it just turns into a grungy mush, as this thing compresses pretty early on the volume dial. Not sure how the Texiera amp is. I wondered how CC was getting that nice tone with his SG (besides the fact that he gets a nice tone out of everything) through his Bernie, but i bet his volume isn't very high.
Tony, are you going to be at the Montreal show in the summer?

Stringmaster
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Colin's settings are listed on the website soundclips--and there's the use of the volume pedal live. I prefer to use my Bernie at lower settings--between 9:00 and 11:00, but I wouldn't say the amp ever "mushes" out at higher volumes--just takes it more into rock territory, which isn't really my thing. Good news is that at the settings I like, it's at an appropriate gigging level for most of the club stuff I do--one club I barely crack it open and it's huge sounding--no one can believe it!

dellerton
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I agree with Stringmaster. Perfect for the clubs. Most of the time I am at about 10-11:00. I play in one band (with an SG), though, where I run it at 12:00 and I love the compression! Makes me feel like Neil Young...

Pete Faragher
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, i'm really liking the little Bernie amp. The trick to getting good tone with HB and p90 guitars is to keep the volume down, or it just turns into a grungy mush, as this thing compresses pretty early on the volume dial. Not sure how the Texiera amp is. I wondered how CC was getting that nice tone with his SG (besides the fact that he gets a nice tone out of everything) through his Bernie, but i bet his volume isn't very high.
Tony, are you going to be at the Montreal show in the summer?

I usually play mine around 11 o'clock. Gives some nice compressed slightly gained up tone with a LP up full and cleans up beautifully when the guitar is turned down even just a bit. I'll sometimes push it to 1 o'clock or further if it's rock time. With a Strat or Tele, it stays pretty clean around 11 o'clock.

57special
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Could be that mine sounds mushier because of the Weber speaker, or because it's an original Filmo. Anyway,easy enough to get great tones, just gotta watch the volume. The extra gain is nice when playing a vintage strat with low output pups.

Stringmaster
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Could be that mine sounds mushier because of the Weber speaker, or because it's an original Filmo. Anyway,easy enough to get great tones, just gotta watch the volume. The extra gain is nice when playing a vintage strat with low output pups.

...And my understanding is that none of the original Bernie-built amps are alike.

Stringmaster
12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
psoUHQuETI4

TEXAMPS
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey,

"So,,,,,,,,,,57, yours is not one of Tony's?"

I only made the box for that amp, get a V10 or Gold 10 for it, will change for the better.

PS: My production amps never get mushy. :)

Tony

57special
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
...And my understanding is that none of the original Bernie-built amps are alike.

not true in my experience. This sounds very similar to my old one. Colin figured he had the best sounding one, and that might be true, but most(not all) were tuned by Bernie to get his sound.
I do remember him working on some 6V6 Filmos that he said he liked better. They were probably a bit different sounding.

Pete Faragher
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
PS: My production amps never get mushy. :)

Tony

Agreed.........tight and harmonically endowed. And that's not just the Bernie. Still LOVIN" the 45 !!!!

Mushy is for potatoes and peas.

canklyde
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Rob,I would definitely swap out the weber for a Celestion vintage 10(60 watt) or a new 10" gold.It will do wonders to the sound........

todd richman
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I just discovered the Colin signature Tiexiera and it sounds incredible. I think I need one to pair with my Victoria tweed and extensive alt.country based pedalboard really soon. Amazing tones Colin.

dellerton
12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
I just discovered the Colin signature Tiexiera and it sounds incredible. I think I need one to pair with my Victoria tweed and extensive alt.country based pedalboard really soon. Amazing tones Colin.

You won't be sorry. Get one!

I'm Incinerator
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Great little amps, I'll have to check the clips on some better speakers when I get the chance.

So The Bernie CC has a thick and syrupy tone with EL84 chime In a small lightweight 15watt 1x10 package that still cuts through in gigs??? Yer killin' me! That is too awesome

dellerton
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
So The Bernie CC has a thick and syrupy tone with EL84 chime In a small lightweight 15watt 1x10 package that still cuts through in gigs??? Yer killin' me! That is too awesome

That's it in a nutshell. Oh, and it only has two knobs. Great stuff.

I'm Incinerator
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
That's it in a nutshell. Oh, and it only has two knobs. Great stuff.

Even better, less to think about and fiddle with.

Anyone here have any experiences playing Filtertron (TV Jones Powertrons) equipped guitars into one? It seems that Teles and p-90 equipped guitars are mentioned quite thoroughly...how about the quirky and great filtertron?

canklyde
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a '58 6120 which sounds fantastic into the Bernie. It has all the characteristic "dry" twang you would expect but also allows for some overdriven "won't get fooled again" glory if you turn it up. I have it set up with D'addario flatwounds at the moment. Lot's of fun.

Realfi
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a '58 6120 which sounds fantastic into the Bernie. It has all the characteristic "dry" twang you would expect but also allows for some overdriven "won't get fooled again" glory if you turn it up. I have it set up with D'addario flatwounds at the moment. Lot's of fun.

Hey Colin.

I'm presuming you've tried the TEX EF86 amp with trem & the 12" that we've been drooling over. How would you compare it to your CC signature?

Cheers,
Grant.

canklyde
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi Grant,I own the #1 EF86 amp as well(the blue one from earlier in the post).It is a considerably different sounding amp in many respects to the Bernie.It really sounds like a classic early AC15 with a Bernie preamp section.Very unique and a great sounding partner to the original Bernie. The larger box,12" speaker,larger trannies also make this amp a little more robust. Easily the best on board tremolo I have used in a long time as well. Antonio has also added the early AC15 boost feature which gives you the exact treble boost/bass cut sound of the early Vox. Awesome sounding.

Realfi
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi Grant,I own the #1 EF86 amp as well(the blue one from earlier in the post).It is a considerably different sounding amp in many respects to the Bernie.It really sounds like a classic early AC15 with a Bernie preamp section.Very unique and a great sounding partner to the original Bernie. The larger box,12" speaker,larger trannies also make this amp a little more robust. Easily the best on board tremolo I have used in a long time as well. Antonio has also added the early AC15 boost feature which gives you the exact treble boost/bass cut sound of the early Vox. Awesome sounding.

It breaks up later though I presume Colin compared to the CC?

I'm still hoping to retire my AC30 to the studio where its volume is more managable and it has less impact on my back than it does when lifting it out of the Mazda hatchback!

Just wish I wasn't so darn far away so I could try them! You're not heading back to Perth anytime soon I don't suppose?

TEXAMPS
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I made the new amp to not compete with the CC Bernie but to complement it! I always thought it was odd the way Fender had so many of the same types of amp in the line-up, must have been hard to pick the one to buy?

As Colin said, very unique but with the bit of TV AC15 (that is the EF86 valve giving it that sound), the rest of the amp is all "Bernie" & my new tremolo added.
I am REALLY happy with the amp & glad Colin liked it too because I value his opinion immensely.

Anyway, I was going to build the Bernie with the same format as the EF86 model (even built a prototype amp) but axed it only because I did not want to compete with the CC Bernie. It was really cool with the tremolo & the 12" blue with larger OT but did not have enough of a difference to justify a full production model. Maybe one day I will have the tremolo as an extra option for the CC as it does not change the sound in any way.

PS: Might sell the one off "SUPER BERNIE" to a lucky chap in the New Year. The first prototype EF86 with no tremolo went to a great customer in California.

Cheers,

Tony
www.texamplifiers.com (http://www.texamplifiers.com/)

trever03
12-16-2009, 12:36 AM
http://www.treverhoehne.com/blog/tex1.jpg
http://www.treverhoehne.com/blog/tex2.jpg
http://www.treverhoehne.com/blog/tex3.jpg
hi all,
I have both the CC model (#5) and the "prototype" ef86 that Tony mentioned. Both are really special amps. I have owned a lot of amps and still have a lot but recently these two are seeing a lot of action. The new ef86 model is different than the CC. Colin nailed it.. very vox sounding... especially when its cranked. Like I said, a very special amp. They also actually sound great next to each other. I also love pairing either of these with my BF Fender Deluxe. These amps really do have a ton of character and Tony has done a great job of making something that stands out. Thanks Tony!

Pete Faragher
12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
On my way over to Tony's to pick up the ef86 TEXOSOUND !!!!!! :banana:banana:banana

dellerton
12-17-2009, 08:17 AM
On my way over to Tony's to pick up the ef86 TEXOSOUND !!!!!! :banana:banana:banana

If there are any extras around and he doesn't notice, sneak one in your car for me.

zeppo
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
any updates from current/new bernie owners, especially the ef86 model? Would love to hear clips.

thanks,
Harris

Pete Faragher
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I was going to wait till I have actually gigged my mine (and I will add to this once I have) but......I have been playing this at home a lot since I've got it and I'm pretty sure my impressions won't change much.
A very different sounding amp to Antonio's Bernie. The 12" speaker obviously is a starting point. But I found it a little larger overall in tone. Not neccessarily louder but larger. the sound was more in the room as opposed to being more directional and focused with the Bernie.
I love the compression with the amp. Even when the amp is clean there is certain amount of compression there. Makes the clean tones succulent.
The thing I love about this amp is the pull up tone control. Now I'm sure Antonio can explain it better but what it is is when it's in the up position, it's the full on tonal spectrum of the circuit (great for singlecoils.....especially Tele's :)). there is a lot of gain on tap here. At least by my standards. So when you press the tone control down there is a bass-cut. Here you get a VERY Voxish tone (I'm only using that brand name as a reference) but it has it's own thing going on here. This is the perfect setting for those with humbucker guitars that want clarity with their tone. I have to say my favorite tone out the whole shebang is my Gustavsson Bluesmaster on the neck pickup tone control down, amp volume at about 1 o'clock and tone at 11-12ish o'clock. I love it. It is so clear and wooden when soloing and snappy and chimey when playing rhythm.
Other notable tones were with my Tele, tone up, volume at noon, tone at 2 o'clock. Korina Explorer......well anywhere really on the amp !!!!
Then there's that special little surprise of tremelo. I have to tell you, I'm a trem-hound, next to delay, it's my most oft used effect. To have a great sounding trem on board is such a bonus for me.
I have 4 gigs in the next three weeks and intend on using this amp on all of them. Actually....I think I may use the EF86 and the BERNIE in an A/B situation.

Cheers
pete

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/IMG_0420.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/IMG_0430.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/IMG_0437.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/IMG_0416.jpg

zeppo
01-04-2010, 07:52 AM
thanks Pete, sounds like a winner.

amp boy
01-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Pete,

Sometime let me know if it would be cool to check these out.
I can bring over an amp or two.

.....though i am a novice guitar player....so i can bring earplugs as well.
hahhahaa........

jarek_anderson
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Pete: in the rear facing photo you have a cable with a 1/4" jack on the end going in to the back of the amp... are you running a different cab? Or is there a footswitch for the trem??? I forgot to ask this when Tony showed me this amp!

-Jarek

Pete Faragher
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Pete,

Sometime let me know if it would be cool to check these out.
I can bring over an amp or two.

.....though i am a novice guitar player....so i can bring earplugs as well.
hahhahaa........

Sure we can hookup. PM or email me and we can figure that out.
cheers
pete

Pete: in the rear facing photo you have a cable with a 1/4" jack on the end going in to the back of the amp... are you running a different cab? Or is there a footswitch for the trem??? I forgot to ask this when Tony showed me this amp!

-Jarek

Yes it is the tremelo footswitch cable (comes with the amp). GREAT trem BTW.
cheers
pete

ryclayton
01-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Tony & Colin,

So it's been a year since I've been playing my CC Bernie. I just wanted to tell you guys how much I'm enjoying the amp still. I've probably played over a hundred shows with it last year and the amp put a smile on my face every time. The Bernie keeps delivering! I just had the opportunity to take it on the road across Canada. Playing mostly large theatres and clubs and it sounded awesome. Tony you built me an amp that I'll never part with, so thank you... Now I want one of the EF86 models to pair with it! When I have the extra cash for another amp I know who to call.

Happy New Year, Ryan (texosound bernie #2)

TEXAMPS
01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey Guys,

Will have my TEXOSOUND CC Bernie @ NAMM. A friend is going to have it @ his booth "Pro Stage Gear". I will be @ the show walking around but not at the booth. I guess if you are at NAMM you get to try the amp out.

PS: Any questions email me on the web site, will check it all week.

Cheers,

Tony

Pete Faragher
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey All

I've been using the Tex ef86 all this month at gigs and I am sooooooo happy.
I just played one last night at a true ROCK club and I had people all night coming up to me and asking "what amp was I using? It sounds HUGE "!!!!
Antonio......you have a hot hit amp there my friend.
I used the ef86 as my main amp and had my Tex Bernie as a backup mainly.
I kicked in the Bernie for a couple of tunes but it was mostly (90%) the ef86.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/P1060384-1.jpg

TEXAMPS
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Peter glade you love my TEX EF86 amp. I am most proud of that amp because it is my brain child, I really love the tremolo in that amp too! Wanted to have a tube tremolo that I could drop into my amps & not affect the sound (to bad I waste 1/2 of a 12AX7 for it).

OH, made one with a NOS UK 25 watt Greenback & have to say I like it better than the Blue. It sounds clearer with less top-end zing.

I am @ NAMM & need a brake after the first day! OMG, too much stuff & sound (90 db non stop) but really cool!

Thanks to John Chandler @ www.prostagegear.com (http://www.prostagegear.com) for having my amp in his booth. Cheers!!

PS: He has a case that is great for the Bernie amp for around $250.

If anyone is @ NAMM check out the booth #4283

Tony

Pete Faragher
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's a shot from last night. Shows the diminutive size of the amp. But what a huge sound !!!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Petefaragher/P1060404-1.jpg

dellerton
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Just want to reiterate that Tony and Colin are fantastic to work with. Why don't you own one of these amps? You should!

TEXAMPS
01-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Me @ NAMM 2010 with TEXOSOUND CC Bernie
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/IMGP5770.jpg

Pete Faragher
01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Look at you Tony !!!!
With your Lam and everything. You've even got that glazedover-NAMMinitist look in your eyes (too much, too long, too loud .......then we drink all night).

So did you enjoy it?

Cheers
pete

Stringmaster
01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Sorry I missed you Tony--stopped by to say hi, but you were out and about.
Dana

TEXAMPS
01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Hmmm,

NAMM is CRAZY!!! Yea I could only handle 2 days max! Not sure I would ever have my own booth there, I am not making my amps in China! Not the vibe I am into, they could have been selling insurance or used cars (full of really hungry sales men)! They did have some cool products I really liked. JMI is cool, they are all clones of Vox amps & classic British FX but really detailed ones. I am a UKE nut & loved the kamaka booth.

Had a fun night @

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PHFw0xwew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PHFw0xwew)

Mike Campbell's band the dirty knobs were great but the opener Kenny Loggins rocked. He could sing the phone book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWp179qNSM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWp179qNSM)

PS: I have a few Bernie amps I made up before NAMM. So if any of you guys want one, you don't have to wait 6 weeks.

Cheers,
Tony

Shane S
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Tony,

I stopped by three times on Friday to meet you at PSG booth but I missed you. The CC is a cool little amp but NAMM is such a terrible place to try gear out unless you have a sound room. I still want to try your amp out at stage volume someday.

Best,

Shane

fabulusfab777
01-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Tony,

I just sent you a PM. I am getting more and more interested in your amps...

Question to the guys around here that own a Bernie, do you have a 10' or 12' speaker ? I am open to the idea of a 1x10 combo but i think i would need the little extra volume and something that the 1x12 could give.

Thanks anyway !!

canklyde
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I can promise you that under almost all the circumstances that I use the Bernie in it is more than enough.I have done 200 seat clubs ,2,000 seat theatres, 12,000 seat arenas,20,000 seat stadiums all with the same amp.
The 10" speaker has more than enough bottom in the Bernie because of the way the amp is voiced.
The EF 86 will give you slightly more volume and more of the 12" AC15 voicing but BOTH amps are certainly loud enough for my needs.

shark_bite
01-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I have done 200 seat clubs ,2,000 seat theatres, 12,000 seat arenas,20,000 seat stadiums all with the same amp.

When you think about it, that is INSANE. And AWESOME. Makes me think my policy of "one amp at every useful wattage level" is kind of whack. And those people with rooms full of amps, well, they're just crazy.

57special
01-24-2010, 05:43 PM
A GP'er came over to my place to try out some guitars, and he sounded great through my Bernie. He happens to be a Colin Cripps fan, go figure, and was cranking out some great Colin type riffs.

trever03
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Tony, bummed I couldnt see ya at NAMM. next time... I heard people loving your amps though. good buzz.

TEXAMPS
02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I would love to get some more feedback for my EF86 model. Seems like everyone that got one loves it but would love some more comments. Amp will be up on the site soon, just had some pro pictures of the amp done & will need to get some sound clips too.

I am building a few amps now as Jan & Feb slows down, which is fine for me to collect my thoughts & try to build some stock up. Nice to get lots of emails about the amps, just glade people are getting what I am into sound wise.

PS: I am also starting to do some work on paper on my last & final amp. Texosound 30 watt, so will be the Bernie & EF86 with tremolo with 4x EL84= 30 watts. Not sure if I will keep it a head or 1x12" Gold Celestion or new G12-65 Heritage. I really love the NOS UK Greenback in my EF86 amp a little better than the Blue, so we will see?

The transformer set is the first thing I am working out. This will take some major work but should be really special.

Cheers,

Tony

v-verb
02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Tony,

The EF86 model is a seriously great amp. You know how picky I am and I was floored by it. I like your other models but love the EF86 one. I think it matches up to the vintage AC10 I have which also has an EF66 on the Vib channel.

So there you go. KILLER AMP. Can't wait to hear the 30 watt version

Cheers

nigel

trever03
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Tony,
I have gotten to gig more with the ef86 one and I cant get enough! Its funny how much in the "lanois" territory you can get with it. I have tried tele's and LP's into it and it handles both so well. I will be tracking with it soon and will be sure to send some tunes over. I have mentioned this to everyone who has asked, but I have never gotten so many compliments on my tone. Thanks for making something special. 30w would be awesome.

Trever

TEXAMPS
02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Trever,

Sucks we did not hook up in LA. Thanks for the great feed-back.

I really love my Texosound EF86 amp, mostly because I got the sound I had in my head come out of it & because it is the first amp design for me, it took about 100 amp builds & knowing what I wanted to hear translate into a circuit & then to a sound. Having the Bernie was a big part of it & my the love of the EF86 tube (truly a GREAT audio tube)!

The other was the tremolo, I love how that came together, I am nuts for tremolo I did not want to add a tremolo unless it was truly great sounding.

Cheers,

Tony

Pete Faragher
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey Tony and all
I'm just 5 minutes gone from playing ef86 amp yet again at rehearsal. I have to say I loved it at the beginning but, now I'm REALLY into it. Played it at every gig (save one) I've done since getting it before Christmas. Maybe 8 gigs and twice as many rehearsals. Still finding new sweet spots with different guitars. From small pubs to 1100 seat halls.
Tony you have to let me demo the 30 when it comes along.

Cheers
pete

tzamosti
02-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Just got my second CC Bernie...foolishly sold it away for $ to buy a nice vintage tweed (which is great, too) and just bought another. I missed it...such a cool and unique amp!

v-verb
02-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Pete,
Are you using the Celestion Blue in your EF86?
Richard

I'll answer for Pete - he is using one of Tony's supplied broken in Celestion Blues in the EF86 model.:aok

TEXAMPS
02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/tex-ef86-grey.jpg

TEXAMPS
02-12-2010, 07:08 PM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/tex-ef86-blue.jpg

Pete Faragher
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/tex-ef86-blue.jpg

That looks familiar !!!!! :p

Bobbofallenstar
02-13-2010, 06:05 AM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/texamps/tex-ef86-grey.jpg

This picture is better than the bikini thread.

v-verb
02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
This picture is better than the bikini thread.

With all due respect - I worry about you then!:cry:

Bobbofallenstar
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, this is attainable. I can buy one of these and be happy. Never mind the whole "implant" debate.

v-verb
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, this is attainable. I can buy one of these and be happy. Never mind the whole "implant" debate.

Ok- you convinced me! And they are less of a headache too!:dude

amp boy
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll do some shots for ya Tony if ya ever need.
Those are begging for some Black !!!!!

TEXAMPS
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I do need to see a black EF86 model. I had to ship yours before I could take it to the studio, you were begging for it. If you only could have waited one more week! :)

PS: Please post some cool pictures of it. Did you do the few changes I gave you, your amp was #2 or 3. I was able to change the other amps but yours was mailed first.

Tony

szechuan
02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm currently saving up for a Texosound amp. This is as a result of appreciating Colin's great tone and tasteful playing, then seeing Colin play through his signature model at a show this past summer and wondering "what the heck is that beside the AC30?", and finally stumbling across this thread and learning more about Tony's amps. I currently use a TopHat Club Royale and I'm a bit worried that with the "standard" or CC Bernie 15 I would miss some of the Vox character of the CR. I know the EF86 model would take care of that, but the smaller size/weight makes the Bernie 15 attractive. Probably can't go wrong either way.

Pete Faragher
02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm currently saving up for a Texosound amp. This is as a result of appreciating Colin's great tone and tasteful playing, then seeing Colin play through his signature model at a show this past summer and wondering "what the heck is that beside the AC30?", and finally stumbling across this thread and learning more about Tony's amps. I currently use a TopHat Club Royale and I'm a bit worried that with the "standard" or CC Bernie 15 I would miss some of the Vox character of the CR. I know the EF86 model would take care of that, but the smaller size/weight makes the Bernie 15 attractive. Probably can't go wrong either way.

I would agree that you can't go wrong either way. But the sizes and weight difference is miniscule. Both are much smaller than your Top Hat. So I would recommend that you decide with your ears, because that is where they differ.
Cheers
Pete

canklyde
02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
If you check out Antonio's web site you can here some audio clips I did a while back with the sig. amp and some various guitars. The reason I really love the Bernie IS because it is quite Vox like, but it also has some unique character in the way you can drive the gain up while it still being very smooth and musical to my ears.
I can promise you that either amp will satisfy the Vox issue. The EF86 model is bit more robust , "bitey" and with a larger cabinet and 12" but I have used the CC model in every situation from 200-12,000 people. It works great for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,Colin.

dellerton
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I have been getting some questions about my CC lately from folks here. Here is a recording by some friends of mine (Mobjack). All of the guitars (played by David Stillman) were recorded with my CC Bernie. I think most of them are a tele with both amp dials at 12 o'clock. There may be an old LP deluxe in there with the mini humbuckers:

Arron by Mobjack (http://homepage.mac.com/dellerton/filechute/Arron.mp3)

Best..... Dean

dbeeman
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I asked about pricing for those that are interested
Colin Cripps model (on the site) is $1900 USD

TEXOSOUND EF86 Model price is $2400 USD with a Celestion Blue, $2300 USD with UK made greenback

tzamosti
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Just wanted to post a quick review:

I got a CC Bernie from Tony pretty recently. Had my first gig with it tonight and it performed outstanding...either that, or I sounded and played better than usual.

It really is a very unique amp...with EL84 voicing, but doesn't sound quite like any other EL84 amp I've owned. I had one previously for a short while, which I sold to raise funds for a '58 Fender Harvard...which I love and am bringing up to speed. But I kept missing the Bernie. So, I bought one again...that, and I kept listening to Kathleen Edwards and Colin's guitar work is just too good!

Took it out tonight for its first trial. Starting off, for a small package, this amp packs a HUGE sound. I put in a Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator, as the sound can be almost too big for a smaller place (no drummer tonight). Let loose, this amp has a sweet overdriven sound that allows each note its own separation but at the same time, seems to flow into each other. Also, while there is a nice sag, the amp response is sharp and immediate.

For tonight, I had it attenuated a bit. Somtimes clean or dirtier with my big box Gainster...all I needed. The amp, though producing a nice big chimy clean is almost never fully clean. Its magic is a sound somewhere between OD and clean...with reverb or delay, the amp produces a very organic break-up.

It can be fussy with pedals...but have found some that work nicely. Overall, it just needs a reverb/delay, maybe a nice compressor and an OD or Fuzz and that's it. When you give it some juice, its just a fantastic amp that needs nothing more to shine. Great with a Tele, SG or 335. Not perfect with Strats as it sounds better on bridge pups than on neck pups (though it handled some nice blues tonight on a tele neck pup).

I had a Swart AST, which was in the same territory as this...another fantastic amp. For now, though different, the Bernie is its replacement (though I could see a lower wattage Swart being fun). The Bernie is helped by an attenuator as its not perfect for really small venues as its such a surprisingly big sound.

So far...sounded perfect. To prove its worth, I even got a kiss from a cute girl. So, if that's not proof, I don't know what is!

szechuan
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Has anyone tried a Ric through the Bernie? If so, how does it chime? I know Colin has a Ric 12-string, but not sure if he usually puts that through the Bernie or the AC30. I've enjoyed getting some wonderful clean chime with a Ric 360 6-sting straight into my TopHat Club Royale. Can I expect the same/similar with the Bernie, being "quite Vox like" (as Colin put it)? Thanks.

canklyde
02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
I use my Ricky 360-12 all the time through the Bernie,sounds fantastic.

Catoogie
02-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Colin, you use the GP-8 for it's compression and delay right? Are you hitting the front end of your original Bernie a little harder with the GP8? I would think that would have a pretty noticeable affect on the tone.

canklyde
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, I do use the GP8 comp and delay as part of my main signal.I bump up the master output level on the GP8 and it works like magic with the Bernie. Alot of my sound also comes from a volume pedal where I change the drive,tonality,etc with the volume pedal,so while the GP8 is integral so too is the volume pedal.
Hope this helps.

LP Deluxe
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Just got my second CC Bernie...foolishly sold it away for $ to buy a nice vintage tweed (which is great, too) and just bought another. I missed it...such a cool and unique amp!

Hey tzamosti....loving your old amp. It's a killer on big stage and small. Glad to hear you got another one!

Cheers,

Dave

TEXAMPS
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Dave,

What number amp did you get & your location in the USA, I like to keep track of them as much as I can. I think there are 16 CC & 22 standards (only make the CC now).

Tony

tzamosti
02-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey tzamosti....loving your old amp. It's a killer on big stage and small. Glad to hear you got another one!

Cheers,

Dave

Great...yeah, I had to get another! I just gigged it again last night...we played fantastic. I have to say, I don't think we've ever sounded so good as we do now with the Bernie. A bunch of guys rushed the stage after our set with questions and compliments on "my tone." The amp's core tone is so unique and its melding great with just a Gainster for solos. Plus, got to let the volume out a bit more as it was a bigger club this time.

Tony...i know Colin put some NOS tubes in my first one, did you put any in my newest amp? If not, what do you recommend...though, I'm not even sure its needed, as this baby is killing!