PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what IS "Hazarai" ?

bard2dbone
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM
I see this word written down like it is a feature of a EHX Memory Man pedal, but it means nothing to me. It doesn't even sound like a word I know for me to guess.

What is it?

jcat
08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I believe it's a yiddish word, or maybe hebrew. I think it means trash or garbage.
jc

shawntp
08-28-2008, 08:00 AM
In terms of EHX's usage - I think it just generically means with full/extra features.

dsl
08-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Yiddish scholars define “hazarai” as “junk food,” but the colloquial meaning has shifted throughout the years to include “junk” more broadly, and many people today use the word when referring to “stuff” or “a little of this, a little of that.”

From: http://rachaelkafrissen.blogspot.com/2008/03/myth-of-yiddish-atlantis-part-4.html

:BEER

Deville2Rocket
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Thank you! This has been on my mind as well.

Jon Silberman
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I'll what you what hazarai is: one of the most popular words in my home growing up, as in: "No wonder you kids won't eat your dinners, you noshed up on chazarai (always pronounce it guturally!) beforehand."

BTW, for those into etymology: Chazar (accent on the 2nd syllable) - חזר (read from right to left, opposite of English) - is the Hebrew word for "pig." Literally, chazarai (or hazarai, if you must) means "pig food."

DavidE
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I believe it's a yiddish word, or maybe hebrew. I think it means trash or garbage.
jc

Wow, that's just the opposite.

It's a yiddish word that means all the bells and whistles, or all the best stuff. Kind of like that.

Curly
08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
a quick search turned up both Mike Matthew's explanation and an interview:
Premier Guitar (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/One_With_Everything_The_Story_of_the_Stereo_Memory _Man_with_Hazarai.aspx)

“It means all the extra stuff. You know, give me a frank with all the Hazarai.”

theroan
08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
The EH version is Japanese for "All the good stuff"

Jon Silberman
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
It's a yiddish word that means all the bells and whistles, or all the best stuff. Kind of like that.
Only in Wonderland could hazarai possibly be defined as "all the best."

Humpty Dumpty: When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
Alice: The question is, whether you can make words mean so many different things.
Humpty Dumpty: The question is: which is to be master - that's all.
As I explained previously, it means literally, pig feed, figuratively, junk food.

Chazarai (Yiddish, חזירײַ khazerai 'filth' or, perhaps more literally, 'piggery', from חזיר khazer 'pig' from Hebrew חַזִיר "chazeer", pig) — junk, garbage, junk food

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinglish

Jon Silberman
08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
jc
You, sir, are correct. :)

HighSpeedSpoon
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I'll what you what hazarai is: one of the most popular words in my home growing up, as in: "No wonder you kids won't eat your dinners, you noshed up on chazarai (always pronounce it guturally!) beforehand." . . .

Give this man the prize - or I should say "So, would it kill you to give this man the prize?" :)

BTW, the guttural "ch" is pronounced like the "ch" in the German word "Achtung!"

theroan
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
But they chose the Japanese hazarai, not yiddish.

TooManyHobbies
08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Wow, that's just the opposite.

Not in the least. Not usually a positive connotation.

TooManyHobbies
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
But they chose the Japanese hazarai, not yiddish.

Which would be good if there were a Japanese version.

DavidE
08-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Not in the least. Not usually a positive connotation.

Well, that's the explanation given in something I read lately.....

Oy, my head hurts.

Ahhhh... vat do you know from funny?

Jon Silberman
08-28-2008, 09:35 PM
LOL! You're cracking me up, David! :D

Actually, as is the case with many Yiddish words, and English ones too, depending on the context and inflection, I guess it could have a positive connotation. For example, if I saw you on the street and exclaimed, "David, you son of a bitch, how the heck are ya?," son of a bitch - a negative term - would definitely have a positive connotation.

Same with chazarai. E.g., (said by mother), "Son, you sure cleaned up on the chazarai at last night's trick-or-treating." I would assume that's the sarcastic style in which Mike Mathews uses it in connection with his pedal. :)

papa taco
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Who gives a rat's ass? How do you LIKE this pedal? It looks pretty appealing but I have yet to hear one/try one.

bard2dbone
08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Now I need to try one out. I don't have much in the way of effects, but I'm thinking about what to add.

Lolaviola
08-31-2008, 07:09 AM
While digital boxes are usually not my thing, I did plug into a SMMw/H and an HOLY STAIN and found many useful sounds... --without scrolling menus! Yay!

So, yiddish speakers, is it haz-AR-eye, or haz-AR-ay?

Groovey Records
08-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Who gives a rat's ass? How do you LIKE this pedal? It looks pretty appealing but I have yet to hear one/try one.

definition of Schmuck

buddatron
08-31-2008, 08:13 AM
If you go to the EH website there is a great demo of the Hazarai, with the guitar player from They Might Be Giants.
Oh, and there is an explanation of what Hazarai is.

http://www.ehx.com/2008/

shaneygoo
09-05-2008, 07:21 AM
it means buddhist hot dog