PDA

View Full Version : slide guitar (effects)

popinvasion
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I love slide guitar. I am learning to be ok at it. I love players more like george harrison. In fact he is what I like in slide. What pedals are fun for slide?

decay-o-caster
09-01-2008, 06:30 PM
A compressor seems to be everyone's first choice. Two of them, if you're Lowell George.

I've heard David Lindley recordings where he seems to be playing through a really widely detuned chorus or vibrato or vibe pedal - not quite sure what exactly, but it's definitely in the modulation family. Sounded killer, and like something I intend to steal.

Some verb or delay really helps too. Or it helps me, anyway.

mc2
09-01-2008, 06:55 PM
compresser and reverb. I really like the dirty surf-style in slack key. Lots of fun!

gtrshow
09-01-2008, 06:55 PM
From an OD perspective, the Honey Bee is my go to pedal for slide - often stacked with either a Java Boost or Sun Face - guitar volume rolled back (or up) to taste.

Scott Auld
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Mojo vibe & delay of choice

dk123123dk
09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I like tremolo and delay with a booster

dk

popinvasion
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
ok so the mention of slide with a phaser or vibe is interesting. I can't quite picture how that would sound.

I think a good comp is a good idea. I am going to look into that.

delay as well.

Medication
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Lexicon vortex.
Or some fuzz and reverb for some burrito bros type stuff

popinvasion
09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
why no compressor adam?

shngn7
09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm really into the Duane Allman style slide so I rarely add anything besides overdrive while sliding. If I do I like some slapback delay and some Deja Vibe.

Joe Walsh does some real cool stuff with a slide and delay.

benjammin
09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
A bit off topic--who's making the best new production slide guitars these days? Would love to pick one up to play around with.

walterw
09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
A bit off topic--who's making the best new production slide guitars these days? Would love to pick one up to play around with.
for me, a good slide guitar is one that looks cool but plays terribly :), so calling a guitar "good for slide" is not a compliment.

all kidding aside, anything with a fixed bridge and easy access to high frets will do. i like a pickup that's past the 24th fret, like a strat middle pickup, or the neck pickup of the old gretch corvette i use. (huge neck, tiny frets, high action, plays terribly, i.e., perfect).

pitner
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I have never been able to use a slide very well so I do it with just my fingers kinda different and meaty no as much highs or steel sound to it.

Jason Lynn
09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
My approach to slide and lap steel is no different than how I look at "traditional" playing. I'll use effects with it for certain moods just like anything else. Ironically, though I have a ton of pedals I find most of the time I'm guitar to cable to amp. The only MUST have for me is a bit of grit to the tone when my volume is maxed on the guitar. In that scenario my volume and tone knobs are my effects. You get tremolo, boost and wah right there at your fingertips ;)

It's funny this thread is up here because last night on whim I brought my phase 90 out with my lapsteel to last nights blues jam. It was fun, especially during rhythm parts but definitely not a must have.

My philosophy...if you think you'd like it, try it - odds are you will.

Someone above asked about slide guitars. I think any guitar can be a good one and disagree that a good slide guitar is a bad guitar. I set my action just a little higher than normal and it works great for everything. It just takes a light touch with the slide.

CBeeper
09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Sometimes I like a little low octave ala Warren....

mattpas
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
A Red Llama and a tremolo sound killer with a thick ceramic slide.

Whiskeyrebel
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Compressor for certain, to get the sustain. For slide I even use a comp/sustainer in front of high gain settings on my amp. That wouldn't work for fretted playing but it does for slide.

Before I got a programmable amp with high-gain settings I liked a Big Muff on slide. Especially with the tone set fairly bright. It sounds really sleazy.

If your amp's got reverb and tremolo, kick 'em on over a basically clean sound and slide gives you a real swamp-rock vibe.

You can get a sort of big-arena sound if you use a very short delay with no regen. I mean shorter than slapback. It sounds kind of double-tracked.

jaywalker
09-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I tend to use decent compression and my fave is probably a doubler - in fact I use two in series.
If you go to 5:42 in this demo there is a brief section:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5do5sGJt8

sonds huge in stereo

seiko
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't really see why you wouldn't use anything that works with 'normal' guitar. I will say that e-bow-slide-fuzz-touch of delay can get really interesting.

rongtr
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm really into the Duane Allman style slide so I rarely add anything besides overdrive while sliding. If I do I like some slapback delay and some Deja Vibe.

Joe Walsh does some real cool stuff with a slide and delay.

If I use humbuckers, I just use amp overdrive. If I use my strat for slide, then I kick in the compressor (Analog Man Dyna Ross).

Whiskeyrebel
09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Playing with a slide tends not to include fast single note runs or a lot of staccato, not like you would when playing fretted notes. MOving around individual tones within a chord is also not done a lot unless you have a string bender or you are a whiz at fretting behind the slide. Effects that accentuate those styles don't sound as good with slide.
Instead, when you play slide you tend to hold a note or chord longer, and slur from note to note much more than fretted playing.