PDA

View Full Version : Tone Tubby Alnico-review/thoughts

slacker
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I've been lurking on various speaker threads and bought a Tone Tubby. So to 'repay' the forum as it were I'll jot down my ramblings er findings as it happens.

Amp-Cornell Romany Plus stock 6L6 and Jensen Chicago/Mod 12/70. I've been running it with an EL34 and Vintage 30 (well broken in given by a friend). This got the amp to gigging volumes but top end was a bit harsh at times. It was nearly there but not enough.

So I bought the Tone Tubby, put it in the Cornell and as it loves my Strat that's what I plugged in. I must admit that I expected the speaker to sound horrible. So I strummed a G chord and cringed. Sound ok :huh So I gave it 10 mins of strummed chords at moderate levels. I then rigged up my SMMH and gave it a loop of barre chords slightly distorted for 30 mins. I then played over the loop with a bass guitar at low volume.

I then gave it a rest.

My initial thoughts are that it's a great speaker. It's very warm sounding. However it sounds not quite right as if it's trying to be a great speaker. I'm cranking the treble a bit and it still sounds a bit funny. However it's got about an hour of home volume on it. I'm playing out quite a bit so I'll give it some over the next week or two.

I also have a 15w head and 2x12 so if the TT doesnt work out as a sole speaker I'll put it in the 2x12 with something that helps it along. This cab has EVM12L's (with a 15w head:dunno) and the plan is to try other speakers. I could even pair it with the V30.

Please watch this space and I'll try it with other valves and other guitars as we go.

Bluewail
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Be patient. The TT's have a LONG break-in period. One of my buddy's who hangs with Carlos Santana says 40 hours+ before they get there. I have one in a Carr Rambler and love it there. Just keep pickin' and grinnin'

slacker
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks

I knew that there would be a break in period. If it takes too long I'll stick it in the 2x12 until it gets there.

rockster12
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Definately don't give up on it. I am running several
TT's in different rigs. I have one in my Carr slant6 combo and after trying several speakers with this amp, the TT definately is the keeper. I also have a 2x12 cab with one TT ceramic and one alnico. That cab sounds fantastic. I will say though that you have to log some hours at stage vol. to settle them in. But worth it IMO.

slacker
09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok day 2...

This time I hooked up my LP Classic and gave it 30 mins of clean and distorted loops on the SMMH. I also hooked up my Ric 330 and did the same.

This amp was always better with the Strat than the Les Paul. With the Tone Tubby the LP sounds better. It's mellow but you can crank the treble a bit to compensate but it's never harsh. It still sounds slightly strange. I think that I'm getting used to the sound rather than it breaking in after 2 hours at home volumes.

I didnt like the Tubby with the Ric at first because it (obviously) isnt doing the chime thing. I played around with the treble control on my boosts aand after a while was happy.

I think that because the top end sounds smoother you can add a lot of treble without it sounding harsh. I'm hoping that after breaking in the speaker that it will have a little more treble. We'll see.

slacker
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Definately don't give up on it. I am running several
TT's in different rigs. I have one in my Carr slant6 combo and after trying several speakers with this amp, the TT definately is the keeper. I also have a 2x12 cab with one TT ceramic and one alnico. That cab sounds fantastic. I will say though that you have to log some hours at stage vol. to settle them in. But worth it IMO.

Thanks.

I am rehearsing tomorrow, jamming for 4 hours in a rehearsal room Saturday and playing in a church Sunday. Also I have Friday off work and my local rehearsal studio does solo rooms for very little money so I might hire one of these rooms for a couple of hours. So I should be able to give it some serious stick over the next four days.

slacker
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Day 3...

I played the Rickenbacker at low volume for about 15 mins with no effects to play around with the eq. You can really crank the treble and it does not get harsh. I think I've been conditined to run the tone controls at 12 o clock for too many years.

I also took the amp to church for an hour and a half rehearsal. The volume was on 6 and I used a Klon with a bit of od, treble and volume increase. I use the LP in this application (I dont want to start a religious discussion, it;s about music).

I ran the treble a bit higher than the bass and was very pleased with the sound. With just the amp it's clean on technique and/or the guitar volume backed off and dirty when hit hard/volumes dimed. Wonderful. I was really pleased as this is the best this amp has sounded with the LP. Also the amp is way louder than it was with a 96db stock Jensen and seems a bit louder than the V30 (it's porbably either smoother or the mids are cutting through-or both).

10 minutes from the end of the rehearsal the tone dramatically changed and was way too trebly, I backed off the treble from 8 to 6. I didnt have time to fiddle with the controls so that will be tomorrow.

slacker
09-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Dear diary, Day 4

I hired a rehearsal room and did one hour straight (assisted by a looper) with the LP and various pedals.

THe speaker seems to have really loosed up. I'm running the treble and bass on 4 which was where I had them with the V30. However there are two differences. The amp never sounded quite right when driven hard which always limited it for live use. With the TT I prefer the amp overdrive to pedals. Also the neck pickup sounds very mellow the mix balanced and the neck very bright and agressive without being harsh.

It is a different sound to Celestions or Jensens and it does take a little getting used to. So that's nearly 5 hours on the speaker and I'm very happy with it.

Hope this helps people looking at buying a Tone Tubby.

Dave_C
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I've been lurking on various speaker threads and bought a Tone Tubby. So to 'repay' the forum as it were I'll jot down my ramblings er findings as it happens.

Amp-Cornell Romany Plus stock 6L6 and Jensen Chicago/Mod 12/70. I've been running it with an EL34 and Vintage 30 (well broken in given by a friend). This got the amp to gigging volumes but top end was a bit harsh at times. It was nearly there but not enough.

So I bought the Tone Tubby, put it in the Cornell and as it loves my Strat that's what I plugged in. I must admit that I expected the speaker to sound horrible. So I strummed a G chord and cringed. Sound ok :huh So I gave it 10 mins of strummed chords at moderate levels. I then rigged up my SMMH and gave it a loop of barre chords slightly distorted for 30 mins. I then played over the loop with a bass guitar at low volume.

I then gave it a rest.

My initial thoughts are that it's a great speaker. It's very warm sounding. However it sounds not quite right as if it's trying to be a great speaker. I'm cranking the treble a bit and it still sounds a bit funny. However it's got about an hour of home volume on it. I'm playing out quite a bit so I'll give it some over the next week or two.

I also have a 15w head and 2x12 so if the TT doesnt work out as a sole speaker I'll put it in the 2x12 with something that helps it along. This cab has EVM12L's (with a 15w head:dunno) and the plan is to try other speakers. I could even pair it with the V30.

Please watch this space and I'll try it with other valves and other guitars as we go.

These days, I won't even listen to a brand new speaker until I've pounded it at high wattage (50-70% of rated power) with a guitar loop for 4-5 hours. I use an ISO box or just set up in the basement and leave the house. Even 40 hours at gig level won't give you that kind of break-in...unless you're wailing at high volume in large venues like Santana.

slacker
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
These days, I won't even listen to a brand new speaker until I've pounded it at high wattage (50-70% of rated power) with a guitar loop for 4-5 hours. I use an ISO box or just set up in the basement and leave the house. Even 40 hours at gig level won't give you that kind of break-in...unless you're wailing at high volume in large venues like Santana.

That's probably the best thing to do but I dont own an ISO box or a basement. Also I wanted to hear the changes in sound over a period of time. Tone Tubby speaker break in seems to be a hot issue, so I thought I'd provide a commentary. IMHO the TT sounds a lot better after 5 hours of moderate use and it wasnt bad out of the box.

hipfan
09-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Great thread! Thanks for starting it. I use a pair of TT AlNiCo's with my AC30 and the sound is heavenly. I pounded both speakers with my band's PA (Zune set on loop play) for 100+ hours, and that really made them find their tone IMO. They sounded good out of the box; they sound fantastic now.

slacker
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Day 5

Took it to a rehearsal where it got played at 6-7 for 3 hours with various guitars and a Klon. We didnt have time to analyse the sound but everyone liked the amp.

Day 9-today

I went on a business trip so couldnt play for a couple of days.

I fired up the amp today and used the Strat at low volume and no pedals. It sounds good and you can crank the treble for really bright sounds without it being harsh.

I also plugged in a Sovtek 6L6 and the amp ounds a bit brighter and generally better for want of a...better word. THis makes sense at it's the stock valve for this amp.

I'll look into different valves in the future.

SO that's that. After about 10 hours the speaker is brighter than it was. It's a slightly different sound to what I'm used to but it is a good one. I'm going to keep the TT in the Cornell. Will I change all my speakers to TT's? Probably not but I'm glad I have the option.

Hope this little exercise helps.

strings
09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
It will continue to evolve for 20 or 30 more hours in a good , subtle way. Hopefully your documenting the break in will make folks less scared of them. My 5e-3 Deluxe has never sounded better, cooler, more hi-fi, bigger, ect. since the TT broke in:dude

slacker
09-25-2008, 07:34 AM
It will continue to evolve for 20 or 30 more hours in a good , subtle way. Hopefully your documenting the break in will make folks less scared of them. My 5e-3 Deluxe has never sounded better, cooler, more hi-fi, bigger, ect. since the TT broke in:dude

Thanks.

slacker
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
ok final update (for now)...

I've been using this speaker at home this week and I reckon it's settled in nicely. THis conforms to what some people on various sites stated, that it would break in over 10 hours and continue to get better.

IMHO the hemp cone giving no 20k spike means that the treble control is more usable. I've also found that the tone control on my Fulldrive 2 seems more lively. Cranking the Klon tone control is amazing.

TopDog
10-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I have one in my DRRI, it sounds great. I helped break it in by playing my drum machine/with the bass lines doing heavy thumping through a stereo receiver for 3 days straight. I do that for all my new speakers. That's how Avatar breaks in their Helltones.

slacker
10-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Ok I thought I would give a final report on this speaker...

I'm using it a lot at home at low volumes and I dont fiddle with the eq any more. It feels like a natural sound. YMMV but it might help people who are unsure about pulling the trigger on one of these speakers.

slacker
12-23-2008, 06:55 AM
I thought I'd finished this thread but as a post script after another two months...

I've started using the TT loaded amp as my #1 choice. The EV loaded cab just doesnt sound right. I'm getting compliments on my sound. I'm using the amp on 6 and getting told to turn down when with the stock Jensen the amp was on 8 and sounded strained as well as not cutting through the mix.

So in conclusion I'm considering buying more TT's.

FFTT
12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Every Tone Tubby review I've read over the last two years
indicates that patience is a must with these speakers.

And for most that patience is well rewarded.

My NOS EVM12L and JBL-K-120 AlNiCo mix in my 2X12 was brutal until
the cab had been played at gig volumes for about 40 hours.

It's still warming up, but the sound is getting much creamier at the top
as time goes on.

phillygtr
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Not to hijack, do the TT's take the AC30 out of Vox land or does it still sound like an AC30? I know that the lower wattage Alnico Blues are part of the classic sound. I like the concept of mixing the AC30 circuitry with a smoother higher headroom speaker.

Back to the TT thing. I have an Ampeg 20 watt combo. It's very dark. I'd like to brighten it up (it has the original Jensen). Are TT's the right place to look or are they natually smooth (no chime)?

Great thread! Thanks for starting it. I use a pair of TT AlNiCo's with my AC30 and the sound is heavenly. I pounded both speakers with my band's PA (Zune set on loop play) for 100+ hours, and that really made them find their tone IMO. They sounded good out of the box; they sound fantastic now.

slacker
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
I cannot comment directly on the Vox or Ampeg but concerning treble and tone tubbies...

The speaker has no chime but as the top end is smooth you can really boost the treble without it seeming harsh. I use a Ric 330 with my TT loaded Cornell and am happy with the sound. Bass is on 4 and treble is on 6 with a Klon on boost adding more treble. The sound sits in the mix without taking heads off.

hipfan
12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Not to hijack, do the TT's take the AC30 out of Vox land or does it still sound like an AC30? I know that the lower wattage Alnico Blues are part of the classic sound. I like the concept of mixing the AC30 circuitry with a smoother higher headroom speaker.

Back to the TT thing. I have an Ampeg 20 watt combo. It's very dark. I'd like to brighten it up (it has the original Jensen). Are TT's the right place to look or are they natually smooth (no chime)?

The AC30 still sounds like an AC30 when played through the AlNiCo TT's. The sound is a little stouter and tighter, with later break-up than the classic-style AlNiCo speakers I've tried with the amp (Scumnico, WGS Black'n'Blue, Weber AlNiCo 1225). Also, the frequency response seems shifted downward a little compared to those other speakers. It's a great sound, but it certainly doesn't do the high-mid crunch thing the same way as the other speakers. If you want a little more perceived headroom and a little more "grunt" out of your AC30, however, the TT's could be just the ticket. They still have some of the AlNiCo compressed sweetness on the top end, but the upper-mid emphasis and crunch of the Blue and Silver-types is not there IMO.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to start a 2x12 collection just to host all of the good speaker options for the Vox. :messedup

jnug
12-24-2008, 12:22 PM
i've been using tone tubbys for close to 2 years now and i love them. the ceramics and the alinco's. they did take a very long time to break in though. when i first got them they sounded ok, i didn't here the improvement i was told i would hear. but i kept playing them. and around 4 months after i got them they finally started coming together. and now the way these speakers sound is just unbeleivable.

snoggin
12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I juast put four ten inch San Rafaels in my matchless 4x10.. It definitely sounds much darker and I am hoping it will brighten up some with time.. I have my guitar tone all the way and my amp treble up -pretty high also . around 7-8

ebenezer
12-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I love my TT's! After you break them in they sound fantastic! Well worth the wait!!

tybone
12-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I have Alnicos in my Deluxe and Deluxe reverb. In the silver face DR it is the best I have ever heard a deluxe reverb sound. The treble and base controls are usable over the whole range and the amp still sounds good.

I think this is partly because the speaker does not do the super high frequency celestion thing. The G12-75, V30 and H12-h30 are pretty good at this. G12-65 not so much. The hemp cones are much more balanced across the frequency range of the guitar.

For me, it meant that I had to re learn how to set the controls of my amp to get the sounds I wanted. With my 18 watt Marshall the alnicos just kill in a 2x12. And yes, you have to pound the living $#!+ out of these things to get them to free up a bit and start talking to you. I find when the do get there the speaker becomes touch sensitive in a large way. Large.

santellavision
12-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I've just posted a Tone Tubby if anyone's interested.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=5262710#post5262710

slacker
06-18-2009, 07:12 AM
I know I said I would stop posting but...

Still using the Tone Tubby in my combo and it's still improving. Using a Rickenbacker a lot and loving it.

hipfan
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'm still using mine too, with the AC30 head. I have to revise something I said previously in this thread though. The TT's are not tighter than Scumnico's. They are a little looser and vibier sounding - at least with my rig.Still diggin'em!

stratzrus
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
I've had a TT Alnico hempcone in my BFDR for years now and the two seem to be made for each other.

When I get my Hot Rod Deluxe modded by Jim at Omega I'm going to try it in there and see how it sounds.

Holliman
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I'd buy one today if it were truely broken in. All I have read about is how terrible they sound out of the box. 40+ hours is a long time to wait on a speaker to break in. Why doesn't the guys at A Brown break them in before boxing them up?

slacker
06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
I'd buy one today if it were truely broken in. All I have read about is how terrible they sound out of the box.

If you read my original post, that's why I created this thread. Please read the first post, it's not terrible out of the box but sounds slightly congested.

stratzrus
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd buy one today if it were truely broken in. I lucked out and bought mine from a Jazz musician in NYC who had been giging with it playing a Buscarino so even though it was well broken in, I knew it hadn't been abused.

I don't know if it came with some of his mojo still left in it or not but it is really sweet, with a much more solid bottom end than I would have expected. They aren't the best choice for closed back cabinets, but for open back combos they're well worth an audition.

79stratman
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I had some of the earliest-version E cone models, but even broken-in were too dark for me. I sent them back and had one reconed with the ED (Dipped) cone and the other EDD (Double-Dipped), for A Brown Soun's original "The Bomb" pairing.

This has been a nice combination for my Victoria 50212.

I have a ceramic TT that I punched a hole in cone attempted to replace one of the AlNiCo's in the Twin. Got it re-coned, but have yet to find the time to install it. I am curious to hear the difference and/or the combination of AlNiCo and ceramic TT's.

jazzguitar
06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
The alnico TT is my absolute favorite speaker in my '66 DR! The key is to let it break in, many people never get past the break in stage. I've had mine for a few years now and it keeps getting better and better.

stratzrus
06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
The alnico TT is my absolute favorite speaker in my '66 DR! The key is to let it break in, many people never get past the break in stage. I've had mine for a few years now and it keeps getting better and better.Same year as mine...those two are a magical combination.

slacker
06-28-2009, 03:59 PM
There's been a recent significant change to the speaker. Short version is that it's suddenly got a lot louder and there's much more treble. Long version is that I was kindly given an RCA glackplate 6L6 by a dear friend (actually he gave me two) but it wasnt loud enough to gig with. SO I used another valve which died just before a gig and the only spare I had was the RCA. There was volume to spare and the amp was sounding really sweet and I was backing off the od tone control and the guitar tones. The only thing that I can think of is that the speaker loosened up.

So a recap. Yes the speaker takes a long time to break in but

1 It dont sound horrible out of the box
2 It gets better after a rehearsal or two
3 It gets really usable after a short while
4 It gets better over a period of time.

Would I buy another tone tubby? Yes.

dbeeman
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I had a tub, probably sold it before broken in.
Why don't they break them in before shipment?

and not just TT, all the speaker builders?

I'd be glad to pay a few more $$ so I could just play it out of the box.

slacker
06-30-2009, 04:38 AM
I think one of the US dealers breaks them in. I'm not sure which one (I'm in the UK and bought from Dennis Cornell-very nice man).

Jack Daniels
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I love tone tubby's. I have one very very broken in Ceramic TT in my Rivera Chubster 40. Its an amazing sounding speaker. I have tried just about everything...if not...very close to everything. The tone tubby's sound great to my ears. In the chubby, its warm and full sounding and never harsh. It can chime no problem... I think most people think they don't chime because they are used to the harshness of a Jensen when they think chime. Chime and harshness are two different things.

I liked the tone tubby so much that I bought a bunch more. I just got a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb. It will be getting a pair of Ceramic TT's (hemp) this weekend. To me they work great with 6L6's. My buddy did try it with his VHT PitBull with EL84's and it sounded great too!

Cheers!

slacker
07-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I would have argued with you on the chime front (actually I stated that they dont chime earlier) however when the speaker is broken in they do.

Last night I played my Ric 360 into the amp with the treble on 6 and it was very very nice.

hipfan
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I think Jack Daniels is right (I've usually only said that in the past in a different context; ha ha).

I'm still really enjoying my AlNiCo TT's with my AC30. Once broken in and with the proper single-coil guitar, I think they deliver all of the chime of other popular AlNiCo speakers. They do have a different flavor of tone than the others, but it's a flavor I happen to enjoy and which seems to work very well in my band mix.

RCCola
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
There's been a recent significant change to the speaker. Short version is that it's suddenly got a lot louder and there's much more treble. Long version is that I was kindly given an RCA glackplate 6L6 by a dear friend (actually he gave me two) but it wasnt loud enough to gig with. SO I used another valve which died just before a gig and the only spare I had was the RCA. There was volume to spare and the amp was sounding really sweet and I was backing off the od tone control and the guitar tones. The only thing that I can think of is that the speaker loosened up.

Did you re-bias?

That tube could have been running hotter and thus the volume increase.

Also, the AC at the gig might have been higher voltage.

slacker
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Did you re-bias?

That tube could have been running hotter and thus the volume increase.

Also, the AC at the gig might have been higher voltage.

It's a single ended amp. The timeline is like this...

I was using an EL34 which was quite loud and then given the RCA which I tried but it wasnt nearly loud enough with the amp on full. So I put the EL34 back in, then the EL4 started to sound horrible and I put the RCA back in and it was too loud on 8. I'm assuming its the speaker. Plus there was way more treble with both valves.

slacker
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
BTW I play in a church so I play in the same room week in week out and I've used various speakers and tubes in this amp.

I'm pretty sure that the speaker has got a bit more sweeter sounding. It was also explain why there are mixed views on this speaker. People are probably hearing various stages on being broken in. And all of thi assumes that mine is fully brojken in and wont get any better.

And this was the point of this thread, to document change as it happend.

RCCola
07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
It's a single ended amp. The timeline is like this...

I was using an EL34 which was quite loud and then given the RCA which I tried but it wasnt nearly loud enough with the amp on full. So I put the EL34 back in, then the EL4 started to sound horrible and I put the RCA back in and it was too loud on 8. I'm assuming its the speaker. Plus there was way more treble with both valves.

I see. Weird. :huh

Jack Daniels
07-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Just to add to this topic: I just replaced the Jensen P12 speakers in my 66 Pro Reverb with a pair of TT ceramics. What a glorious tone! The top chimes no problem and is not harsh at all. The bottom is very full and rich sounding. The mids are smooth and forward but not overly pronounced like say a V30. These are great speakers. I have other brands, but I keep pulling them out and replacing them with TTs.

JD

soapvox speaker
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
i just bought a peavey classic 30 with a 12'' ceramic TT already installed. i dont know how long its had to break in, but the speaker sounds great, especially when compared to the same amp with the stock speaker. there really is no harshness. its very full and open sounding.

GA20T
07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I'd buy one today if it were truely broken in. All I have read about is how terrible they sound out of the box. 40+ hours is a long time to wait on a speaker to break in. Why doesn't the guys at A Brown break them in before boxing them up?

This is what I'm wondering. I wouldn't sell a product that was awful with promises of it somehow getting fantastic shortly after the refund/return date, or do manufacturers of speakers even make such claims? I seem to recall an article in which many of the big names (manufacturers) were asked about speaker break-in, and the replies seemed to point toward a very short time frame to get the cone loosened up. I'm gonna look that one up again. I wonder if playing something for 40+ hours at "stage volume" doesn't just bias our hearing, or perhaps deafen us in the painfully over-pronounced frequencies so that we can no longer hear them anymore. It's kind of like working around a jackhammer for 40 hours: after a while it's just not painful in the same way.

ReginaldBisquet
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I have a set of the ceramics:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WxLfCCnkMtg/S_804FjfWwI/AAAAAAAADyE/nt2Yoj4n1aE/s576/DSCF3365.JPG

While they sound great... they're really not doing it for me as they're voiced a bit on the darker side and are not as efficient as some of my other speakers.

I've used them in front of several people and everyone says they sound rich and full, but not as loud as my Jensens.

kimock
07-12-2010, 01:46 AM
This is what I'm wondering. I wouldn't sell a product that was awful with promises of it somehow getting fantastic shortly after the refund/return date, or do manufacturers of speakers even make such claims? I seem to recall an article in which many of the big names (manufacturers) were asked about speaker break-in, and the replies seemed to point toward a very short time frame to get the cone loosened up. I'm gonna look that one up again. I wonder if playing something for 40+ hours at "stage volume" doesn't just bias our hearing, or perhaps deafen us in the painfully over-pronounced frequencies so that we can no longer hear them anymore. It's kind of like working around a jackhammer for 40 hours: after a while it's just not painful in the same way.

The deal with the TT break-in is the hemp paper itself.
That stuff is STRONG! It just takes longer to get it in comfortable shape than the standard wood paper. The same way it takes longer to break in a new pair of Doc Martens than it takes to break in a new pair of Vans' deck shoes.

It doesn't take that long to whip 'em into shape anyway, and yes, becoming familiar with how any new piece of gear sounds is an integral part of the break-in process. It's not something to be avoided imho, I enjoy breaking stuff in, it's just part of the process.

Per the "disclosure thing" I was the guy that got the ball rolling on that TT project from the R+D end, pre-hemp, no financial affiliation with the manufacturer. A Brown Soun customer and good friend since 1978.

slacker
07-12-2010, 02:55 AM

I suggest that you actually read this thread.

Jd3
07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Same year as mine...those two are a magical combination.

this has me curious -- I got my TT Alnico and put it first into my '81 Rivera era DR, and it sounded ... well... 'congested' ...

I've since moved the tubby into a 2x12 open back avatar paired with a 70th Anniversary G12H30, and that combo rocks ! stratzrus -- I think you hit it on the head that they sound very good in open back cabs ...

This thread is leading me to believe I just didn't have the speaker broken in when it was in my DR ... I was thinking of getting a Weber 12F150 ... but now that I've got 1/2 a year of pounding on the TT, I'm gonna swap it back in ... :beer

FFTT
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Overall, I think hemp cone drivers are best for smoothing out the top end
of bright amps, so they do have their place, but they're not for everyone.

If you're going for tight low end, juicy detailed mids and top end jangle and chime,
I would try the Fane AXA12s or AXA10's

bettset
07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
my forte 2x12 is at about 40+ hrs. it's sounding very nice with my ods special design :munch

GA20T
07-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I suggest that you actually read this thread.

I actually read this thread. I was responding to the poster. I suggest you review your suggestion.:rotflmao

lv
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I have two of their 1x12 cabs, loaded with one alnico h1e and one ceramic h1e, imo, they sound fantastic out of the box, and only get better. I also do not find that these speakers are dark - though the first ones I had which were not hemp were a little dark and thick, and worked great for smooth lead tones.

slacker
07-13-2010, 03:14 AM
OK back on topic and a summary for those interested and those with limited brain function...

In my experience the Tone Tubby Alnico H1E 8 ohm speaker sounds ok out of the box but slightly congested. You really need to give it 5 hours at rehearsal level before it's ok to play live. At 10 hours it's really loosening up. It continues to get better and after some time it really brightens up. It does have chime if you are patient. You also have to use different eq settings on your amps.

As always this thread was made to help people choose or not choose a Tone Tubby and try to dispel some of the myths and dogma surrounding these speakers.

kimock
07-13-2010, 04:01 AM
OK back on topic and a summary for those interested and those with limited brain function...

In my experience the Tone Tubby Alnico H1E 8 ohm speaker sounds auk out of the box but slightly congested. You really need to give it 5 hours at rehearsal level before it's auk to play live. At 10 hours it's really loosening up. It continues to get better and after some time it really brightens up. It does have chime if you are patient. You also have to use different eq settings on your amps.

As always this thread was made to help people choose or not choose a Tone Tubby and try to dispel some of the myths and dogma surrounding these speakers.

A couple of quick observations in line with the nature of the TT in bandstand mode.

They stick to tape extremely well. Clean and high gain.

By virtue of their relatively unexaggerated high end, they don't feature a lot of digital effects misbehavior, see above.

It kinda follows for the same reason that they also have a relatively gentle on-axis response. You can point them at your head and actually lean into it.

So, really awesome at altitude.

It's a very difficult speaker to upset. Considering that it shares duty for me in the old Celestion and Jensen camp, I can get those flavors without all that edge yowl crap.

So far, I can't seem to blow one up no matter how hard I try, and as a crash test, failure mode analysis dummy for the TT thing, lord knows I tried.

They sound cool. . .

So, if you're a guy who likes to play through a combo, and you've got tight monitor requirements on a crowded, noisy stage, and need to point the amp right at you, and you're using a variety of sounds and effects that need to sound good onstage, on the mic. and on the tape, you live in Boulder, and you don't like blowing shit up, it's a slam dunk.

Any of those qualities alone might be reason enough to buy one and *gasp!* play your guitar through it till it's good and broken in, or not, but that's what I got out of that experience.

Peace!!!

slacker
07-13-2010, 05:16 AM
[QUOTE=kimock;8676044]
So, if you're a guy who likes to play through a combo, and you've got tight monitor requirements on a crowded, noisy stage, and need to point the amp right at you, and you're using a variety of sounds and effects that need to sound good onstage, on the mic. and on the tape, you live in Boulder, and you don't like blowing shit up, it's a slam dunk.

[QUOTE]

That's scarily close to my situation and it works for me. Thanks for your input on this thread (where's the sincerely grateful smarticon when you need it?)

VintageKnob
07-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a well broken in TT in my 12 watt Lil Dawg 5E3, it has a slightly deeper cab and the TT just sings with my R8. No flub at all, great tone for days!

- D

direwolf
07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
When I saw Jimmy Herring (Rothbury 2008) on the tv screen. I was sold.
Now I got an 8 and 12 alnico, instant gratification out of the box.

wspfan
07-14-2010, 07:15 PM
When I saw Jimmy Herring (Rothbury 2008) on the tv screen. I was sold.
Now I got an 8 and 12 alnico, instant gratification out of the box.

You'll enjoy this:

9Ilvy1tT-HI

ReginaldBisquet
07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
F'eh - I'm selling my Tone Tubby ceramics in the Emporium. They're just not doing it for me like my Jensens.

pula58
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
when the TT's break-in, how does the speaker then sound compared to when it was new? Are the highs affected by break-in? Like, do the highs come to life a bit more after break-in?

jsm355
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
You'll enjoy this:

9Ilvy1tT-HI

[I]

NICE CLIP !! Thanks .

slacker
10-01-2010, 04:08 AM
when the TT's break-in, how does the speaker then sound compared to when it was new? Are the highs affected by break-in? Like, do the highs come to life a bit more after break-in?

Yes. If you read the thread start to finish, the changes are detailed as they happen.

slacker
10-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I've just realised that this thread is 2 years old, so random update time.

I still have the Cornell combo and I still have the TT in it. I helped out with a scratch band for a P&W 'gig' ( no religion please it's about music and there is a reason for revealing the nature of the gig). Not knowing much about the 'gig' I turned up to find that it was a 14th century CofE church (stone floor, stone walls, 50 foot ceiling, nightmare). As an aside I have just changed the tubes with tung sol 12ax7s and a Winged C EL34. I ran the amp on 4 which is normally too clean for me but playing to old ladies in a reverb chamber isnt Wembley Stadium...

The amp sounded great and with the tone controls at 12 noon I had to turn down the bass a bit. Treble was bright and clear. Guitars were a LP Classic and an SG Faded in G with the tone rolled off.

Until next time...

crazyneddie
01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
I raise this old thread to the top as I'm contemplating some low wattage Alnico 10's to replace a couple blown CTS in my super. Any additional input would be great!

OminousPoultry
01-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I raise this old thread to the top as I'm contemplating some low wattage Alnico 10's to replace a couple blown CTS in my super. Any additional input would be great!

They now do various other models - I got some 25w humboldt alnicos to put in a bassman but haven't broken them in yet. The red and green ones are higher wattage

crazyneddie
01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I think I'm talking about the same thing you are...10" 25 w Alnico. Black frame? How do you like it? I love the mellow round warm tone from the CTS. Are they close to that? I played my super though the 4 10" Alnico blue frame emi's in my 91 tweed bassman. The speakers sound fantastic in the bassman but were WAY too bright for the super...yuck! So I want dark, smokey, inefficient speakers and I hope the TT's are what I'm looking for.

OminousPoultry
01-18-2014, 03:46 PM
I think I'm talking about the same thing you are...10" 25 w Alnico. Black frame? How do you like it? I love the mellow round warm tone from the CTS. Are they close to that? I played my super though the 4 10" Alnico blue frame emi's in my 91 tweed bassman. The speakers sound fantastic in the bassman but were WAY too bright for the super...yuck! So I want dark, smokey, inefficient speakers and I hope the TT's are what I'm looking for.

Have a look here http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showthread.php?p=16038854

Mine are still breaking in and are a bit fierce but I've got 4 in a SR and they do what you want but those are red and green ones. The black ones might not be right for the bassman but we'll see....