PDA

View Full Version : Proco Rat Made in China volume control problem

brattmoore
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi all,

My Proco Rat Made in China volume control is NOT progressive at all : the sound is too loud even at 1 or 2. Is it normal and is there any mods for this problem please ? Many thanks.

dick wiewy
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Really? I bought a currently made Deucetone that indicates it was made in USA. I've had no issues with it. Is yours a "knockoff" or have you seen other
Chinese built RATs?

amz-fx
10-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Sounds like they used a linear taper pot for the volume control. I had a couple of new China-built Rats in my shop recently and they didn't have that issue. You could change the volume pot to an audio taper and see if that fixes the problem - but I would measure the one in the pedal currently before modding to see if it is really linear.

regards, Jack

spookyelectric
10-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Doesn't ProCo's website say that they're all Made in The USA? I keep hearing that the new batches are made in China, but why would they still advertise the "USA" thing if it's not true? At most, I'd just expect them to not mention where they were made.

SHM
10-08-2008, 07:44 AM
If you look at the Keeley site, they stopped modding the new rat, because;

"We are no longer selling new RAT II pedals because of the VERY Poor quality that we see them in. They are now made in China and the workmanship is the worst I've ever seen. We would have to redo/replace so many things that the cost would increase by at least $45."

Søren

Grap
10-08-2008, 07:45 AM
No, they moved production to China sometime last year. Robert Keeley states that the resulting drop in production quality was their reason for withdrawing their "New & modded" RAT line as they had to fault find & make good every one they got.

dosmun
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
The volume control should be around 1:00 for unity. As Jack mentioned maybe they put the wrong pot in.