PDA

View Full Version : Dan Armstrong AMG100

phantasm
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Has anyone tried one yet? I guess they've just hit some stores in the past few days.

phantasm
10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Nobody?

Someone go out and try one and let me know what i'll be getting in the mail shortly.

Also wondering how long it'll be until other pickups for it will be available ( or who can make pickups that will fit).

Stonesy
10-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I ordered one of the clear plexiglass ones at the local shop. The neck angle was way off. Action at the 12th fret was really high. The bridge was non adjustable for height. Can't shim the neck because the pickguard sits on top of the neck. It was unplayable. It can be fixed but I passed. The previous one they had was excellent but I waited too long. I hope you get a good one.

disaster
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I believe you can get p/u's from Kent Armstrong.

phantasm
10-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Aha! Well, this is one of the new wood bodied models- i won't mind moding it at all if i have to since they're selling at around 1/4 the price of a plexi model.

Scott766
10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I picked up the black (Adler) AMG100 last night. The Adler won out over the blonde swamp ash model and it cost less too! I didn't get to try the mahogany version, they sold it a couple days prior to me getting over there. I'm bummed it was gone cuz that's the one that really caught my eye in pictures. But I have to say the Tortoise shell pick guard looks sharp on the black body so I don't feel too bad.

So far I'm digging this guitar. Played it through a Tiny Terror at the shop, not very loud, but it sounded good. When I got home I played it through my Orange Micro Crush, so again, not loud at all. I'll fire it up for real this weekend. I might be able to get some pics up too.

I've been waiting for these wood versions to come out forever. I had a '69 clear Dan that I loved but it would not stay in tune. Instead of modifying a original guitar I sold it. I always regretted that move but it was frustrating playing something that went out of tune so easily.

The Dan Armstrong is one of my fav body shapes so I'm glad I now have an inexpensive Dan that stays in tune. Plus it looks kind of like that late era MC5 smoke colored Dan that Wayne Kramer played. Cool stuff!

phantasm
10-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Cool- ordering one today!

phantasm
10-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Just ordered one- hope it comes in FAST!

Any idea why the pricing scheme is so wildly different?
If i dig this a whole lot, i'll be looking for a used blonde one.

Scott766
10-18-2008, 09:29 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/scott766/DanArmstrongAMG100004.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/scott766/DanArmstrongAMG100009.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/scott766/DanArmstrongAMG100013.jpg

Having lots of fun with it. wish I didn't leave both my power cords for my amps at the practice spot...

phantasm
10-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Mine just came in- it's still in the box until i get home from work.

jojo
10-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Please give us a full review. I want one of those bad boys.

Scott766
10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
So... What's ther verdict?

phantasm
10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
OK, here's a very quick bit of info- not really a review since i haven't had a chance to crank it up just yet. I bought the least expensive model- black.
Yes- the body is cut exactly like the original plexi model- carve all along front and back with an extra bevel at the lower horn and where your arm rests on the front. Finish is nice and seems thin- in certain light you can see a little bit of the grain, so it's not a thick plastic finish. Cool! very very light weight too- great for me, i've sworn off the back breakers! The finish on the neck was slightly grainy, nothing a little bit of 600 grit sandpaper couldn't fix. That's what i used and it's now smooth as silk and feels great! The neck is very similar to the original in that it's the same width from the nut to the body- a thick but very comfortable D carve. I like it alot and i usually like pencil thin necks. It sounded great through all of my amps, but i probably won't put much use on the tone switch- it claims to be a 3 way ( tone bypass, tone 1, tone 2) but i didn't notice much of a difference between the 2 positions and will probably just keep it in the bypass position. This is a rock and roll machine, so there's not a whole lot of need for a tone control anyhow. Great fret job and spot on intonation.
This Dan Armstrong model keeps with the tradition of imitation- the original sported a faux wood grain pickguard- the black model has a pickguard that's not actually tortoise plastic, it's silkscreened on. It looks pretty real, but i would have preferred that they made it look much more fake like the fake wood on the original, maybe even gave it an original style guard instead.
The new bridge system is quite an improvement on the original, but i'm not sure why they didn't just put on a Badass style bridge instead of the two piece one they chose.
The tuning heads do say Grover on them, but i found these to feel like really cheap copies- i plan on replacing them soon ( well, i never liked Grovers anyhow).
All in all, it's a very cool guitar for the cash and i can't wait til other pickups are available for it.
As far as the sound- Raw rock and roll with great sustain.

Jahn
10-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice review! I've been lusting for a black Armstrong lately, ever since I saw this eye-popper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Ampeg-Dan-Armstrong-ADA6-BLACK-PROTOTYPE-RARE_W0QQitemZ130262639960QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116

Scott766
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Great review, I'm in total agreement with everything. I wish they would have put that wood grain formica pick guard on too!