PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Keeley RAT mods

cjs42079
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
So what do you all think of the Keeley modded RAT? I have a '91 reissue I'm thinking about sending to him, but I just want to double check before shelling out the cash. It's going to cost almost $100 to get the mod done, and add a DC jack and a LED. Is it worth it, or should I be looking into the BYOC-type versions and keep my Rat original?

---Chris---

Eskimo_Joe
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
So what do you all think of the Keeley modded RAT? I have a '91 reissue I'm thinking about sending to him, but I just want to double check before shelling out the cash. It's going to cost almost $100 to get the mod done, and add a DC jack and a LED. Is it worth it, or should I be looking into the BYOC-type versions and keep my Rat original?

---Chris---

If you're happy with your original, I'd keep it original. I think the modded ones are clearly better than a current RAT, but the old ones may be the best.

kludge
10-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, it's not like vintage Rats have a great deal of resale value (except for the original ones), so don't worry about devaluing your pedal.

My main distortion tone is a Keeley Rat, which he modded a few years back from a Rat 2 I bought new in 1986 or so. I think Keeley's mods are an improvement (especially in the flexibility department) but not NECESSARY for great Rat tone. Vintage Rats like yours already sound pretty awesome. The Keeley mods make it a bit clearer and more open-sounding, and increase the bass - which may or may not be a good thing, depending on whether you're using the Rat as the primary voice, or using it as extra drive for a hot amp.

I like my Keeley mods and I'm glad I got them done. The worst thing about it was when I got it back, I spent MONTHS twiddling knobs and switches! It used to be the Rat was a set-and-forget pedal - I knew where it sounded best and left it there. Now, I find myself tweaking the knobs, even in the middle of a show.

R_S_G_7
10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
haha I agree with the tweaking problem, I don't think the settings on my keeley rat have stayed the same for more then a hour since i got it, can't seem to find "that" setting... the switch allows you to A/B the same pedal which i do constantly.

what i would do is keep your original and buy an already modded rat off the emporium. That way you can play them both and see what you like better, selling the loser. This process might end up costing slightly more but it might be worth it as if you end up liking your original better, you will still have it and no regret or hassle of trying to find another just like it.

Cheers.

kludge
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
what i would do is keep your original and buy an already modded rat off the emporium. That way you can play them both and see what you like better, selling the loser. This process might end up costing slightly more but it might be worth it as if you end up liking your original better, you will still have it and no regret and no hassle of trying to find another just like it.

Excellent thinking! It's not like they're hard to find. I would never ever ever part with mine (first pedal, never stopped using it, extreme sentimental value), but if you're not emotionally committed to the old one, just compare/contrast.

cjs42079
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. That's what I've been thinking too. I do really like my RAT but at the same time I hate that it's in such a huge box, that is has no LED, and that it can sound a little muddy (yea, I know it's a filthy pedal to begin with)

So does anyone have a good RAT clone/mod for sale???

By the way, even if I got 2 and compared them and picked my favorite, I still don't think I'd sell the other one. I have a serious problem getting rid of my guitar gear! I just can't seem to want to sell it, like I need to keep it for some reason, lol.

---Chris---

auratnik
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I have Keeley RAT2 and RI big box, I prefer RI, it's perfect.

Herf
10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
What do people think of the BYOC Mouse?

skywade
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Try out a CMATMODS Black Plague. It is a fine sounding RAT type pedal and also has the 3-position switch similar to what Keeley offers.