PDA

View Full Version : Dickey Betts Tone?

1esotericguy
11-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Did a web search and couldn't come up with any details on the Dickey Betts tone. Looking for that Ramblin Man, Blue Sky, Melissa lead tone.

How do you get a syrup-ey liquid tone, but without a lot of hair from the gain? Whenever I try to dial it in I just end up using too much gain (for sustain) and the tone gets too hairy.

Anyone have any gear details?

GCDEF
11-05-2008, 06:58 PM
A sweet Les Paul and a cranked 50 watt Marshall.

The closest I've come to getting that sound, and I was really, really, really close to it was a Heritage 535 through the Bassman side of a Fender Supersonic's clean channel turned up about half way. It was that Not My Cross to Bear tone pretty much exactly.

Kind of makes sense. Old Marshalls were based on the Bassman circuit, so anything similar cranked to its sweet spot should get you close.

Shnook
11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Add JBL speakers too.

1esotericguy
11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Damn - I was afraid it would require straight cranked amp. I'm an apartment guy, so need to try to find a fake version of the tone via pedals and dials I guess.

ugacrow
11-05-2008, 07:26 PM
A sweet Les Paul and a cranked 50 watt Marshall.

The closest I've come to getting that sound, and I was really, really, really close to it was a Heritage 535 through the Bassman side of a Fender Supersonic's clean channel turned up about half way. It was that Not My Cross to Bear tone pretty much exactly.

Kind of makes sense. Old Marshalls were based on the Bassman circuit, so anything similar cranked to its sweet spot should get you close.

Actually, Duane played 50-watters. Dickey played 100-watters. Gave him a much cleaner tone at the same volume as Duane.

And oh yeah, his fingers were way more critical to his tone than any of his gear. But the gear was really important. I've been able to get much closer to Duane tone than Dickey tone over the years.

Tone_Terrific
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
This won't get you there, but try using some compression, boost around 1k and a bit, an LP, natch, as loud as possible and the JBL's cant hurt. A ts9 set to low drive is sort of ok for some of the range. Play smoothly, neck pup or blend carefully. good luck.

soldano16
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Damn - I was afraid it would require straight cranked amp. I'm an apartment guy, so need to try to find a fake version of the tone via pedals and dials I guess.

You might consider an Ultimate Attenuator for your current amp or something with power scaling like a Suhr Badger.

A lot of Dickey's tone is just the soulfulness of his playing.

But word on the street is that the particular goldtop he used is an EXCEPTIONAL sounding vintage LP, one of the very best of the very best.

jzgtrguy
11-05-2008, 07:50 PM
A good Les Paul + WCR (filmore, good wood, Betts) + 100 watt marshall + JBL loaded cabinet. Mix together thoroughly with a generous amount of talent = Betts tone.

bluesyjacuzzi
11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been able to get it at low volumes with a 2007 R8 CR and a fargen mini-plex run through an open back 1x12 with a green back. Wasnt really trying for betts but it really sounds just like him tone wise.

straightblues
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a pedal that does it really good. It is the Bonnie Blue pedal by Muscian Sound Design in Germany. I am on some hard times right now, if you want one let me know and I will give you a good deal on mine. Here is a link to the site, they have a video. http://www.silvermachine.de/en/msdnews.htm

traviswalk
11-06-2008, 07:42 AM
For apartment living get a Les Paul and an Axe-FX using the Plexi setting and modify to sound like Blue Sky or Don't Want You No More.

rollyfoster
11-06-2008, 07:45 AM
i slammed the rhythm channel of my budda SD18 with a clean boost and rolled the tone knob on my guitar back last night and got a very similar velvety tone.

Rosewood
11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
For apartment living get a Les Paul and an Axe-FX using the Plexi setting and modify to sound like Blue Sky or Don't Want You No More.
In an apartment this is probably the best way, some kind of modeling amp, can't believe I'm saying it. Or some kind of 5 watt amp with low efficiency speaker.

billstets
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Dickey said himself that the JBLs were 80% of his tone, and I believe it, because I've heard recordings of guys who nail his tone with the JBLs, even if they didn't have the other ingredients (Marshall, Les Paul). These are the JBL D120s and apparently you have to drive them hard to get that compression and midrange honk from what I've read, and they're high power speakers, so you're looking at a 100 watt Marshall cranked to about 6 (not too much distortion). Not a bedroom option, because if you attenuate, you won't drive the JBLs enough. So Dickey's talent aside, it's pretty much impossible for most people to completely nail that honky sound, because it's impractical and expensive (JBLs are wicked expensive 'cause they're not made anymore; and hard to find them with original cones). The best thing is to get as close as you can with the other suggestions here - Marshall, LP, not too much gain, but enough etc.

Strat58
11-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Psst don't tell everybody but a tube Driver (chandler or Ibanez) can get you into that cranked Marshall territory :), atleast it works for me.
A Marshall trans.30 watts + Tube Driver with not to much gain so round 2 or 3.
Peace Strat58

Telecaster62
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Les Paul neck pickup and 100 watt Marshall into JBL's are the key to Dickie's tone.

Steve Gambrell
11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Why does he get close to the same tone with a -335 and Soldano amps?

Bob V
11-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't be afraid to back off the volume knob on the guitar just a pinch, there's plenty of subtle control on the gain just using that knob (this works even with solid state amps but moreso with real amplifiers), and don't be afraid to back off the tone knob quite a bit. I may sound like a tube snob, but the modeling amps are growing on me since you don't need attenuators.

By the way, just saw Dickey last month at what's now called the Capital One theatre in Westbury. I just assumed the sweet goldtop he was playing on tour was one of his signature historic reissues, but you never know. Fantastic show. At one point in a jam he walked along the row of Marshalls and turned everyone's volume up.

Then again, his sideman Andy Aledort (from Long Island, exceptionally cool guy) was playing a Custom Shop ES-335 that's made to copy Dickey's vintage 1961 red guitar. Whole 'nuther starting point there for a killer tone.

ugacrow
11-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Because 90% of tone is in your fingers.

Next question.

1esotericguy
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Because 90% of tone is in your fingers.

Next question.

I like to differentiate between tone and signature sound though. I'd say 100% of a player's sound is from their fingers - attack, phrasing, presence, touch etc. So Dickey Betts' sound is from his talented fingers, but the tone is from the gear.

To clarify:
If Dickey played 'Jessica' on James Hetfield's (Metallica) rig, he'd still be recognizable as Dickey Betts and you'd still know it was 'Jessica' because of the cool smooth phrasing - but the tone wouldn't be the same at all.

big mike
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
To me, to get a reasonable facsimile of that tone at home, something marshall voiced will get it, if you do your part. It's a lot in the hands and approach.

Use your tone knobs too.

I was getting a fair fasimile with a friend's Reinhardt 18 powerscaled, and my les paul with Darkburst in the neck.

billstets
11-06-2008, 02:05 PM

I think he was using JBLs with the Soldano right? I saw him playing a 335 once and I couldn't tell the difference. Again, I think the guitar is less important. It's the JBLs more than anything. Gibson guitar (or other short scale guitar with PAF style dual humbuckers) into good amp head into JBL loaded cab, and crank it enough to get moderate gain and push the JBLs.

highlander
11-09-2008, 02:49 AM
I saw the Allmans many times in small places down South before they hit nationally, played some of the same events (local festivals) and spoke with Duane a few times.
I almost quit playing guitar the first time I saw them - I've seen many, many of the great guitarists and didn't play Southen Rock ( which they made famous ) - I was more attracted to Hendix, Beck, Page etc, but I was just stunned by Duane. I figured I could woodshed 'till hell froze over - I'd never be able to step up to that. A friend of mine noted that no one else could either so you may as well keep playing!
This was just pre - Fillmore East era Allmans. Betts had to be good to hold his own on that stage with Duane - and he did.
Note that their Marshall cabs had "D" series JBLs as previously stated in this thread -but they had also cut the back of the cabinets into two pieces, leaving - I'm working from memory here - about a 10" gap in the middle of the back of the cabinet. This seriously affected the bass response and the tone - and their tone was unique - and fine. I always thought this contributed to the less compressed and singing tone they got. Dickey played with less drive than Duane at that time.

Mondoslug
11-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I saw the Allmans many times in small places down South before they hit nationally, played some of the same events (local festivals) and spoke with Duane a few times.
I almost quit playing guitar the first time I saw them - I've seen many, many of the great guitarists and didn't play Southen Rock ( which they made famous ) - I was more attracted to Hendix, Beck, Page etc, but I was just stunned by Duane. I figured I could woodshed 'till hell froze over - I'd never be able to step up to that. A friend of mine noted that no one else could either so you may as well keep playing!
This was just pre - Fillmore East era Allmans. Betts had to be good to hold his own on that stage with Duane - and he did.
Note that their Marshall cabs had "D" series JBLs as previously stated in this thread -but they had also cut the back of the cabinets into two pieces, leaving - I'm working from memory here - about a 10" gap in the middle of the back of the cabinet. This seriously affected the bass response and the tone - and their tone was unique - and fine. I always thought this contributed to the less compressed and singing tone they got. Dickey played with less drive than Duane at that time.
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Wagner Pickups
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
When you listen to Duane and Dickey, it is pretty obvious that one is under-wound, the other is over-wound . ;)
+ a Marshall, and some JBLs. I also get a pretty good tone out of my H75 Scumbacks, and a JCM800 that Don Butler from www.Tone-man.com overhauled for me.

cottoneyedjoe
11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
I use a Marshall JCM 800 and a LP. With the gain set at about 6 with the master at about 5.

If you can sit in the same room with it, it is wonderful. However, I cannot. The volume is just too much.

The real question should be how do you get that tone at a LOW volume.

Anybody got any answer to that?

AndyFender
11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I saw DB a few months ago. I was five feet from him. The only effect he used was an Inbanez Tube Screamer.

Jim Wagner Pickups
11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I use a Marshall JCM 800 and a LP. With the gain set at about 6 with the master at about 5.

If you can sit in the same room with it, it is wonderful. However, I cannot. The volume is just too much.

The real question should be how do you get that tone at a LOW volume.

Anybody got any answer to that?

Yep. Butler stuck another Master Volume in my JcCM800 http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

Bo Faulkner
11-09-2008, 08:08 PM
My club 40 does a great DB tone.. my 71 50 watter doesnt

M I K E D.
11-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Les Dudek played the signature solo on Ramblin' man.

he got some good tone too

I'm just sayin'

Stringmaster
11-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I've always found it intriquing how Dickie's sound is so smooth and overdriven, without appearing to be overpoweringly loud. Anytime I've played or played with guys using non-master Marshalls, the things had to be cranked so much to get that kind of overdrive, that you needed to be in the next zip code to tolerate it--even with the 50 watters.

cnardone
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
After 3 pages I feel silly saying this but. Blue Sky / Melissa on Eat a Peach sound NOTHING like Ramblin Man / South Bound on Brothers and Sisters which in turn sounds NOTHING like Blue Sky / South Bound on an Evening With... to me anyway.

THe playing is all Dickie but they all sound very different to me.

rongtr
11-09-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm just sayin'

Les did the harmony parts with Dickey- He always had great tone!!

Trebor Renkluaf
11-09-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm just sayin'
I thought Les just played the harmony part.

candid_x
11-10-2008, 02:47 AM

I got excellent Betts tone (unhairy sustain) from a Soldano Astroverb. Plenty of punch for gigs, but good tone at low volumes too.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soldano-Astroverb-SingleChannel-Amp-Head?sku=489109&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

cnardone
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I got excellent Betts tone (unhairy sustain) from a Soldano Astroverb. Plenty of punch for gigs, but good tone at low volumes too.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soldano-Astroverb-SingleChannel-Amp-Head?sku=489109&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

I agree with this. I've gotten similar, not exact, tones as An Evening With..... through my Astroverb as well. Is it a SLO? No, unfortunately not. But for a fraction of the cost, it has that distinctive Soldano sound. It is a great little amp. But it still does not sound like brothers and sisters to me.

cmn

1esotericguy
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree with this. I've gotten similar, not exact, tones as An Evening With..... through my Astroverb as well. Is it a SLO? No, unfortunately not. But for a fraction of the cost, it has that distinctive Soldano sound. It is a great little amp. But it still does not sound like brothers and sisters to me.

cmn

Pushed with a pedal or just straight into the Astroverb? I just got a Egnater Rebel which could maybe cop the same overall sound as a Astroverb. The Rebel is Marshall based on the EL84 side.

Jon Silberman
11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
The last time I caught Dickie live, he was playing through a 50W Fuchs ODS and I, who heard him many times with the ABB from 1973 on, thought he never sounded better.

BTW, FWIW, my two biggest lead guitar influences are Dickie and Jerry Garcia. I owe those two cats more than I can say.

angelo
11-10-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGVW7byRCA

Play like that, who cares what you're using!

Why would you not want to be loud?

Wow, he must be pumped up or something on that, because his vibrato is SO MUCH quicker than how I remember seeing / hearing.

PS. I never saw dangerous Dan palying so many chords either. What's up?

angelo
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
The last time I caught Dickie live, he was playing through a 50W Fuchs ODS and I, who heard him many times with the ABB from 1973 on, thought he never sounded better.

BTW, FWIW, my two biggest lead guitar influences are Dickie and Jerry Garcia. I owe those two cats more than I can say.

They are both in my top 5 influences (a little EJ, A King, and Deion Payton thrown in for good measure). Some times you get shown the light........

TonyVt
11-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Dickey is awesome and the Allman Brothers Band isn't the same without him.
I used to think that the key to Dickey's tone was a bag of shrooms and a bottle of booze.

flyingvees
11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I figure tons of coke and booze and dont forget to slap your old lady around.....:argue

Im a Dickey fan I just couldnt resist

ugacrow
11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow, he must be pumped up or something on that, because his vibrato is SO MUCH quicker than how I remember seeing / hearing.

I've never EVER heard Dickey's vibrato sound like that. If the tempo of that tune and the terrible vibrato doesn't tell you he was Coked up, I don't know what would. Definitely not the best YouTube clip around. Definitely not the best ABB era, either.

Now, THIS is good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs&feature=related

Tone_Terrific
11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Now, THIS is good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs&feature=related)

Makes a guy pause..........:drink

Trebor Renkluaf
11-11-2008, 12:22 AM

The whole song was quicker, but yes his vibratto seemed pushed up a nothc or two as well.

2manygtrs
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
There were certainly more lines than the ones on their faces when they came through... It's too bad, because thats how lots of our older entertainers end up dead. I myself have never understood the appeal. It made me into the biggest prick. I certainly would not have wanted to hang out with me on that stuff. I guess I was lucky enough to realize that very quickly. Others, not so...

I've seen a few shows and I noticed the encores are always really AMPED up. Been backstage too.

rdtguitar
06-19-2009, 04:35 PM
...a lot of guitarist say , "tone is in the fingers"... I think its a little deeper than that ...its really in what you hear, in your head, as being the sound/tone that you want to attain ... the rest ( easier for the more experienced ) is dialing in the gear at hand to get the closest to that sound and then being touch-sensitive enuf with your fingers, ears and mind to coax the "tone" out of your present rig... its this mix of events that allows a player to always have his tone no matter what he's playing thru-- of course , as was mentioned above, note choice and individual expression also edd to this...
i hope that made sense ..
cheers

Fuchsaudio
06-20-2009, 09:38 AM

If you saw Dickie with Danny Toler on stage, you might have mistaken Dan's 100-W maple ODS for being used by Dickie. I'm not aware of Dickie owning an ODS, but it would be cool if he did. Dan was one of our first endorsers actually, great player, and a nice guy.

audiodrome
06-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Here's a Dan Toler quote from the Gibson website:

“How we got the sound was with a Marshall 100,” Toler explained in an interview with Lisa Eicholzer-Walker for the rockforever.com web site. “In 1980 I had four Marshall 100s and I had 16 12-inch JBL speakers. Dickey had the same exact rig. We only used two heads at a time. We had two for spares in the rack. What we'd do is take one head and put the volume on two and the other head on eight. The midrange was on two, presence on six and bass and treble was adjusted by feel, usually five or six for us. We'd have a Les Paul, in fact I have a ’57 that Greg Allman gave me that I still use. I was using a ’58 with the Allman Brothers, but I sold it. We also had PAF pickups. They would provide a little bit of sweetness to the sound.

“For example, if you were playing a solo and your volume on your guitar was at about a seven/eight and it sounded really nice, when the band would get a little louder and you'd get that dynamic with the crowd going and you got that rush you'd crank that guitar up to 10 and it would become this intense, sweet beautiful sound. I think Dickey used a bit of digital delay. Dickey had a great sound and Duane Allman had a great sound and it is that signature Les Paul-Marshall combo.”

big mike
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow. Scooped mids????

must be those JBLs.

David Holland
10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm a sessions guitarist if people say a les paul an a marshall will get u this sound there mistaken.
I own many les pauls u need one with old P.A.F. Style pick ups the WCR pickups are great for this. Amp wise
U will need a older baseman or plexi however u can buy a deluxe reverb an take the reveb
circuit out an it will open up the tone. And as for speakers 65 jensen style speakers are
tone compliant with his JBLs.
remember he used the ones with aluminum center cones. An nos tubes play a huge roll
Good tubes are a must go the extra mile a spend the extra money on tube an you'll be
Much more satisfied plus nos tubes last longer.

I use a 1960 gold top all original with a hand built 59 bass man with 2 12s instead of the 410s
An turn volume up to the point before the tubes start to slag ( distort) an you'll hit the sweet spot.
I use J.J. TUBES there close to the old Rca tubes far as inner plates go.
These tubes can be acquired at Eurotubes.com-503-659-7401 is there number.
You can visit my band an me at www.myspace.com/davidhollandband
Thanks

slider313
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I nailed that tone at small pub volume with a Heritage 140 guitar, a '69 Princeton Reverb loaded with a 10" Altec Lansing and an original '83 TS9.

Red Suede
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
...a lot of guitarist say , "tone is in the fingers"... I think its a little deeper than that ...its really in what you hear, in your head, as being the sound/tone that you want to attain ... the rest ( easier for the more experienced ) is dialing in the gear at hand to get the closest to that sound and then being touch-sensitive enuf with your fingers, ears and mind to coax the "tone" out of your present rig... its this mix of events that allows a player to always have his tone no matter what he's playing thru-- of course , as was mentioned above, note choice and individual expression also edd to this...
i hope that made sense ..
cheers

My thinking as well.

mbrann
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
It seems like I read somewhere that Duane and perhaps Dickey used an early 60s Brownface Fender Super in the studio for Bluesky. I haven't played one and can't comment on it's tone however.

DFBurst
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Actually, Duane played 50-watters. Dickey played 100-watters. Gave him a much cleaner tone at the same volume as Duane.

And oh yeah, his fingers were way more critical to his tone than any of his gear. But the gear was really important. I've been able to get much closer to Duane tone than Dickey tone over the years.

Yep...Duane on 50s and Dickey on 100s. You can hear the cleaner/more headroom room of the 100 vs the bit more overdriven tone of the 50.

E.Z.
10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm a sessions guitarist if people say a les paul an a marshall will get u this sound there mistaken.
I own many les pauls u need one with old P.A.F. Style pick ups the WCR pickups are great for this. Amp wise
U will need a older baseman or plexi however u can buy a deluxe reverb an take the reveb
circuit out an it will open up the tone. And as for speakers 65 jensen style speakers are
tone compliant with his JBLs.
remember he used the ones with aluminum center cones. An nos tubes play a huge roll
Good tubes are a must go the extra mile a spend the extra money on tube an you'll be
Much more satisfied plus nos tubes last longer.

I use a 1960 gold top all original with a hand built 59 bass man with 2 12s instead of the 410s
An turn volume up to the point before the tubes start to slag ( distort) an you'll hit the sweet spot.
I use J.J. TUBES there close to the old Rca tubes far as inner plates go.
These tubes can be acquired at Eurotubes.com-503-659-7401 is there number.
You can visit my band an me at www.myspace.com/davidhollandband
Thanks

Cool post man - thanks - learned something from it. And cheers to WCR Pickups.

mike solomon
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Here's a suggestion:
With a Les Paul, start on neck pup, into any Fender reverb amp or Marshall with delay or reverb on board or outboard, start with amp volume up around 8+, turn guitar pup volume Down to ZERO, roll pup tone control on gtr down to 3 or 4...start playing and slowly, gradually bring guitar volume up from zero to 3 ,4 or 5 and start here, same with both pups, then with bridge pickup, adjust as you play...this warm clean/on lower volumes sound(think Stormy Monday on neck pup, Ramblin Man on bridge pup)is not hard to acheive...for more over driven tones, bring guitar's pup volume controls up above 5 and you'll hear more overdrive/creamy distortion(think Southbound,Jessica,Come&Go Blues, You Don't Love me etc)

Once you get to know these key clean & "hot spot"settings you are off to the races..just adjust overall amp volume relaitve to the room you are playing in.

I have had sucess with this in small rooms with a Princeton & Deluxe reverbs...for bigger spaces a Fender Super Reverb or Marshall Bluesbreaker or 50watt heas & 4x10 or 4x12... will sound great,with a touch of reverb or analog delay.

Have fun !

Mike Solomon

MBreinin
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a pedal that does it really good. It is the Bonnie Blue pedal by Muscian Sound Design in Germany. I am on some hard times right now, if you want one let me know and I will give you a good deal on mine. Here is a link to the site, they have a video. http://www.silvermachine.de/en/msdnews.htm

I had that pedal as well. It does that sound quite well.

Mike

audiodrome
02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
A lot of famous players used smaller Fender amps in the studio and used big Marshalls live.

direwolf
02-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Pearly gates pups were in use per guitar world interview with Warren.

lamenlovinit
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM

On the cheap go try out the new Jet City 20watt head. Street price around $300. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdI7GuVOXCU Even cheaper for the dude you were answering in this post who was afraid he'd have to push an amp to get this tone, go demo all the "tube distortion" pedals out there. You will find one you're happy with. I ended up finding a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube classic for $120 used, and I can get just about any tone recorded between '68 and '82 with the gear I already own!:banana

mike solomon
02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Eric & Duane recorded most of the Layla album in Miami on a pair of small tweed Fender Champs, Duane & Dickey, later with Dudek in Macon, and eventually Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks often use small-ish Fenders, Gibson and other amps, nothing greater than 45 watts,Jeff Beck recorded much of Blow by Blow in London with Princetons,plenty of Billy Gibbon's great studio work has relied upon small amps, plus he's used some tiny Lunchbox amps for a recent videotaping of a Soundstage broadcast,in Chicago, with incredible results, Page loved recording with small amps Supro's etc, and miking them with more than one mic, one always back in the room..this plus cranking a small amp up to really drive the tubes HARD, is a major ingredient to getting many of those great tones we all want. That is the key element. Also adding just a touch of reverb, room ambience or delay adds superb sound quality too in practice, recording or even live.
A Les Paul, SG, 335, Firebird, Strat, Tele,you name it, can yield great results via an overdriven small tube amplifier...plus knowing how to work your guitar's volume and tone controls, and understanding their interaction to create great tone will help you get where you want to go !

All the best,

Mike Solomon

Rod
02-10-2010, 05:53 PM

Because it's the player you are hearing

heavysoul
02-10-2010, 10:44 PM

cuz it's Dickey Betts playing the 335 and soldano....

point is, you can switch up the gear, but the player's style and dynamics stays intact.