PDA

View Full Version : RC Booster or Timmy?

docmh
11-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm looking for a good booster pedal that doesn't color my amps tone. I've heard great things about both the RC Booster and the Tim or Timmy pedal.
I checked out some sound clips on these pedals but can't make up my mind.
Any input from users of these pedals? Any body ever do a comparison between them?

Paul Conway
11-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm interested too. I'd like to know what the difference is between the regular RC and the Scott Henderson one, also, if anyone knows..

..not that I can afford either now! (-;

Prodigy
11-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Have you checked out the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFhgYLblTM

fr8_trane
11-09-2008, 08:45 AM
The timmy is more versatile because it can do squeaky clean boost, dirty boost AND full blown overdrive.

The RC booster does not have nearly the amount of available gain as the Timmy.

Guinness Lad
11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
The Tim/Timmy pedal has a lot more realistic sounding high end to my ears. The RC sounds too much like transistors when you put both side by side. The Tim/Timmy can be real clean but you need to rool the gain down to about 1/4 way up, once you do this you'll be as clean as an RC Booster. I alsoo feel that when you turn the tone controls of the RC Booster too high it doesn't sound as good. The Tim/Timmy has much more range this way.

Overall, the Tim/Timmy is just a superior pedal, the RC is good but clearly not in the same league.Both pedals work well as boosts for other overdrives but the Tim/Timmy can be set so you'll never know it was on, the RC is not quite as transparent. The Tim/Timmy also is less compressed, the RC adds some midrange and compression to the signal, not much, but there is a difference.

BTW, I have owned both at the same time and was willing to keep whatever pedal was the better of the two, I also had a Menatone Red Snapper (original 3 knob) which also was in the mix, the Tim was the best overall.

fr8_trane
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
true, but with your amp at the right level the rc can push it as far over the edge as you would most likely need it to go.

Also true, but the timmy can do this as well and its $50 cheaper. The major drawback with the timmy is the wait time to get one.

Trotter
11-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Timmy. Without question.

BobChuck
11-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Try the NOC3 "Earth tone" boost.It's perfect if you dont need the EQ and everything else and just want to boost the signal.
LINK...http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=981&CategoryID=

thedroid
11-10-2008, 05:37 AM
The Tim/Timmy pedal has a lot more realistic sounding high end to my ears. The RC sounds too much like transistors when you put both side by side. The Tim/Timmy can be real clean but you need to rool the gain down to about 1/4 way up, once you do this you'll be as clean as an RC Booster. I alsoo feel that when you turn the tone controls of the RC Booster too high it doesn't sound as good. The Tim/Timmy has much more range this way.

Overall, the Tim/Timmy is just a superior pedal, the RC is good but clearly not in the same league.Both pedals work well as boosts for other overdrives but the Tim/Timmy can be set so you'll never know it was on, the RC is not quite as transparent. The Tim/Timmy also is less compressed, the RC adds some midrange and compression to the signal, not much, but there is a difference.

BTW, I have owned both at the same time and was willing to keep whatever pedal was the better of the two, I also had a Menatone Red Snapper (original 3 knob) which also was in the mix, the Tim was the best overall.

+1 on the transparency of the Tim/Timmy. I've got Tim and an RC. Notes cut through better with the Tim. If I pull the extra-compression pot on the back of the Tim, I can actually make it sound like the RC, so there's definitely some added compression with the RC. The Tim will do what you want and a lot more.

I do think the RC is an excellent boost for solos, though.

xroads
11-10-2008, 05:51 AM
I have the RC and he Timmy as well, and agree spot on with what harryjmic said. The RC booster adds some compression and changes the high end of the spectrum. I prefer the Timmy as well.

Paul Conway
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Is there a URL for the Tim/Timmy pedals, anyone?

Glowing Tubes
11-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I have both on my pedalboard right now but use the Timmy as a low/mid gain drive and the RC as more of a boost. Both great pedals. For me the nod goes to the Timmy for more transparency and versatility but the RC makes a great lead boost too.

RC may be easier to get too, plus the Henderson RC sounds pretty interesting.

All that said, the Timmy has been on my board longer than any other pedal.

RC

stucker
11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I have both the Timmy and the RC Boost and use them for different things. The Timmy has a grittiness to it that's great for a slighlty overdriven amp tone. The standard setting is not very compressed.

As harryjmic said, the high end is very natural and allows you to play double stop licks without getting mushy. If you flip both internal dip switches you can get more compression and use the Timmy for more of a medium-gain overdrive, especially if you push it with a compressor (how I use it).

I use the RC Boost to get more definition for clean solos. I set mine with the gain low (11:00) and I get a little more volume and sparkle to the top end. Turning the gain up increases the grittiness and compression but it's not natural sounding like the Timmy. I prefer not to use the RC to get overdriven sounds. Both pedals are great at what they do best.

Aruntang
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
It's funny how we hear things differently. I found the RC Booster to much more transparent than the Timmy. The Timmy was much better as a dirty boost or overdrive than the RC for sure. As a clean boost I felt the RC Booster was the better pedal. I also found the Timmy sounded much better with my strats than with my Les Pauls FWIW. It was one of the reasons I kept my RC Booster over the Timmy. I still love the Strat tones I was getting with my Timmy. I hope to own one again.

Guinness Lad
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
It's funny how we hear things differently. I found the RC Booster to much more transparent than the Timmy. The Timmy was much better as a dirty boost or overdrive than the RC for sure. As a clean boost I felt the RC Booster was the better pedal. I also found the Timmy sounded much better with my strats than with my Les Pauls FWIW. It was one of the reasons I kept my RC Booster over the Timmy. I still love the Strat tones I was getting with my Timmy. I hope to own one again.

I would have said the same thing until I set the gain to 9 max and the volume around 2 to make it work. The gain really kicks in anywhere past 9, not that it's a lot, it just seems to be the starting point.

docmh
11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
This is great. Thanks for all this input.

drolling
11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
To my grizzled old ears, the main thing that Timmy & the RC share's a really, really good EQ circuit - compared to many popular OD/boost stomps.

But I've yet to try a current production Timmy w/2 additional clipping diodes. I've got a couple (one switched to clip asymmetrically) and have been meaning to send one down to Tennessee for the upgrade. Anyone had a chance to A/B the two?

And my RC's also out of production; "defective" switch & the LED's in the *wrong* place. Spent quite a few hours comparing it against a buddy's V2 and preferred mine. My pal thought his sounded better so we're both happy.

At the end of the day, if I could only have a Timmy OR an RC, I'd get a TIM. Blows 'em both away, imo.

Aruntang
11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I think you are talking about the Timmy? I did spend a considerable amount of time with both pedals. Again, for the most part I found the RC to be more versatile with different types of guitars overall. I could dial in some good Les Paul tones with the Timmy but they didn't sound as spectacular as the Strat tones. The RC just sounded better to my ears for that. A strat into a Timmy into a Marshall is definitely tonal nirvana.

Would you say the Tim is more capable with different guitars?

I would have said the same thing until I set the gain to 9 max and the volume around 2 to make it work. The gain really kicks in anywhere past 9, not that it's a lot, it just seems to be the starting point.

Guinness Lad
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I think you are talking about the Timmy? I did spend a considerable amount of time with both pedals. Again, for the most part I found the RC to be more versatile with different types of guitars overall. I could dial in some good Les Paul tones with the Timmy but they didn't sound as spectacular as the Strat tones. The RC just sounded better to my ears for that. A strat into a Timmy into a Marshall is definitely tonal nirvana.

Would you say the Tim is more capable with different guitars?

I use either a tele, strat, P-90 or humbucker guitars, I never really had an issue with either pedal when it came to guitar preference. For me it was all about the high end, with the RC I felt as the high end was compromised. I never felt this way with the TIM. I'm pretty sure Paul C would tell you the TIM is the better pedal when it comes to Tim vs. Timmy.

MaxBoogie
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with what every one else has said... my Timmy can get into grit-land if you really need it to, and my RC is really great at boosting with the ability to tweak the tone if you need to.

But I have to say I'm really digging my 19 sixty 3 pedal for just plain simple boost. It's as clean as the other two, but has just a bit of "sparkle" that neither of the other pedals have. The RC sounds "sterile" in comparison, and while the Timmy can get more extreme, that's not what I look for in a "clean" boost...

Aruntang
11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Interesting. I still heard the Timmy as having more compression, not tons mind you but it was still there. I find it to be a very good kind of compression across the entire frequency range as the pedal feels really good to play. I guess it is just the different way we hear things. I was focusing on the total sound and wasn't getting the humbucker tones I was wanting out of the Timmy. To me it excelled with single coils and not so much with humbuckers (I am using PAF low output humbuckers not anything extremely hot). I still find them both to be different enough from each other to not be easily comparable. The Timmy has a very different sound and feel to it as compared to the RC booster. I found the RC to be more open sounding however, the Timmy is still open sounding compared to most boosts and overdrives as well but with this very slight compression that made it very addictive to play. I want to emphasize, a very slight compression going on. It's like everything is really even and in a way smooth.

Ha ha, I think I am talking myself in to getting another Timmy!

I will have to check out a TIM very soon.

BillyK
11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Another set of ears here...

I am a long-time Tim and RC owner, and a brand-new Timmy owner. I agree with harryjmic's assessment near the top of this thread. The RC's high-end is cold/transistory. Plus the clipping on the RC is dreadful IMO, as it's as unrealistic as can be - IMO.

The Timmy OTOH can be set perfectly clean with more boost than any mortal should need and when you add a little gain to the Timmy, it sounds and feels exactly like overdriven tubes in a Fender amp - I love it. The Tim sounds a bit different to me at the clean/very low OD end, and I like it more for the mid-OD tones.

Not sure exactly why I hold on to my RC. Given my other thread on being surprised by the number of stomps I've gathered, I may end up moving it along with a bunch of others.

recto-robbie
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
The Timmy is deffinatly a real nice pedal but I wound up selling it and keeping my RC. I used them for boosting and I thought the RC was more transparent.

SimonMorrison
11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
The RC Booster is extremely transparent. Tim and Timmy are not.
The RC Booster can accentuate the high frequencies. Tim and Timmy attenuate the high frequencies.
The RC Booster is an excellent clean boost pedal. Tim and Timmy are fine OD pedals.
The RC Booster clipping is not amp-like - I don't recommend using the RC Booster for clipping. Tim and Timmy have nice TS-style clipping.

Sid
11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I own a timmy..i think i wanna own an RC booster as well

fr8_trane
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
The RC Booster is extremely transparent. Tim and Timmy are not.
The RC Booster can accentuate the high frequencies. Tim and Timmy attenuate the high frequencies.
The RC Booster is an excellent clean boost pedal. Tim and Timmy are fine OD pedals.
The RC Booster clipping is not amp-like - I don't recommend using the RC Booster for clipping. Tim and Timmy have nice TS-style clipping.

If I remember correctly, the tim circuit started as a boost and the clipping came later. The timmy with the gain and eq off (full ccw) and the volume at 2-3:00 is as transparent a clean boost as I've heard although they're all a "bit" different shades of transparent. The point is the timmy does squeaky clean volume boost as well as all of the dedicated boosters I've tried.

I have a/b'd the timmy with keely katana and was able to match its tone pretty much exactly in both modes by adjusting the EQ and gain settings on the timmy.

SimonMorrison
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
The RC Booster allows additive EQ - you can increase the high and low frequencies of the original signal. Tim and Timmy are subtractive - starting with the original signal (flat), you can only decrease the high and low frequencies.

If you need to add treble or bass, the RC Booster is the better choice.

fr8_trane
11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
The RC Booster allows additive EQ - you can increase the high and low frequencies of the original signal. Tim and Timmy are subtractive - starting with the original signal (flat), you can only decrease the high and low frequencies.

I see your point... and raise you a beer.:drink

Its quittin' time.

macmax77
11-14-2008, 03:32 PM
if you want a great booster with the added od just try a Germ Prescription, i know, i might be the only one here at TGP praising it each month, but ask around to the people that own one, bet they love theirs!

Bo Faulkner
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Never tried a tim/timmy but My RC is a mainstay.. Mostly use it to juice the strat when I switch from LP.. I dont use any other dirt at the moment other than my cranked Germino

PaulC
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Tim and Timmy are subtractive - starting with the original signal (flat), you can only decrease the high and low frequencies.

You're right, but there is a reason why I did that... I come from an audio eng background, and for reasons of noise floor and headroom it's always better to cut freqs instead of boosting them. If you want to make something brighter don't boost the highs - pull back on the lows. Want to make it darker? Don't boost lows - cut the highs. Want to make it mid rangy? cut both lows and highs. I don't care for scooped mid tones, so I didn't want to be able to boost lows and highs at the same time. I don't have anything against boost/cut tone controls, but in this design it was about getting things as flat as I could without any unnecessary boosting of freqs.

Plus the lows come pre clipping, and the highs are post. This allows a flat/clean signal while still being able to shape the pre/post eq'ing for overdriven tones. Set gain/bass/treble to zero and it's a flat eq booster without about 12db of output. You can crack open the gain a bit for more before it starts to clip.

Anyway - have fun. PaulC

GTRJohnny
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
The Tim/Timmy pedal has a lot more realistic sounding high end to my ears. The RC sounds too much like transistors when you put both side by side...

+1. I really didn't like the RC for this reason. Many like it and get it to sound great... I couldn't.. - YMMV.

devbro
11-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I owned both and ended up selling the RC. One of the biggest advantages of the Timmy that hasnt been mentioned is you can swap Opamps in a matter of seconds making it extremely versatile. Do a search and you'll find many threads on different chips and how they sound. I went down to my local electronics store and bought four of the little buggers for around 5 bucks.....!:AOK

BillyK
11-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Interesting that this thread is still going. As said by a numer of earlier posters, these pedals are fundamentally targeted for different purposes. The RC is a "rig controller" with active EQ and a great buffer. The Timmy/Tim are awesome OD's with a beautiful capability to provide a clean boost. So there's some overlap, but they both can excel in thier targeted domains.

As I said earlier, I used the RC for years and now prefer using the Timmy - just something about the "musicality" of the Timmy vs the "sterile" nature of the RC. Totally subjective. Both very good pedals.

twangbanger
11-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Both are great pedals,but the RC Booster worked better for me. I think you need to try both and let your ears decide.

GTRJohnny
11-15-2008, 09:05 AM
...If you want to make something brighter don't boost the highs - pull back on the lows. Want to make it darker? Don't boost lows - cut the highs. Want to make it mid rangy? cut both lows and highs. I don't care for scooped mid tones, so I didn't want to be able to boost lows and highs at the same time. I don't have anything against boost/cut tone controls, but in this design it was about getting things as flat as I could without any unnecessary boosting of freqs.

Plus the lows come pre clipping, and the highs are post. This allows a flat/clean signal while still being able to shape the pre/post eq'ing for overdriven tones...

Paul, I come from an Audio Engineer background, too - probably one of the reasons why I love your pedal. Not to hijack this thread, but since you brought it up... Have you ever thought about modding a Timmy to shift the bass post clipping? The reason I ask, is I would like to lower the bass going into the clipping section (preset) and boost it coming back out (with the Bass control).

Basically, I'd like cleaner bass and dirtier highs with the pedal, without losing bass in the overall tone. I can do this (and have been) by running your bass all the way off and boosting it later with a BarberEQ. But, it would be nice to have this in the Timmy itself. Just wondering. It's a fantastic pedal the way it is, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help... :)

P.S. Congrads on the move to 100% pedal making. :AOK

jivepikinturkey
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
hi guys,

i'm new here,

i'm getting a bb preamp and wonder if i should get an rc booster.

i have a zvex sho that i use at the end of my chain. i know they are diff. type pedals, sho stricltly clean boost-1 knob.

would it do anything similar to the bb that the rc does, in front of it?

i don't want to lose what the sho does, because it would be in front of a carbon copy, and smooth n slim.

any thoughts? (not try to hijack this thread)

maybe i should have both?

kludge
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
if you want a great booster with the added od just try a Germ Prescription, i know, i might be the only one here at TGP praising it each month, but ask around to the people that own one, bet they love theirs!

There's two of us, I think. :cool: I often say I bought mine eight years ago and haven't turned it off since.